Chapter 8: Day 8 Convoluted

Vulnerable Heart

Sorry for the wait guys. Please enjoy.

G}

            The way the light came inside her room brought a beam of light to glow in Ga Eul’s face. The silk soft sheets only caused her to want to sink into a river of comfort and tuck herself back into bed. With a frown of discomfort from the light Ga Eul slowly rose from bed. Sighing she tried to remember where she was and found herself feeling that patter in her chest at the beautiful view of water that surrounded her. Flashes of the previous night only made her want to bury herself inside her covers and never come out.

            There were still tingles that remained on her lips from the kiss she had shared with Yi Jeong the previous night. Magical was not enough of a word to describe how wonderful that kiss had been. There was a glow that she felt come with the morning. Inside however, it was like the minute she thought there was peace a storm would brew inside and So Yi Jeong had become that storm. There were so many questions and doubts that came with this. There was no doubt after the previous night that Ga Eul was in deed falling for So Yi Jeong and that scared her.

            There was so much going on with Yi Jeong and so little that he shared with anyone. There was also the fact that their “Relationship” would be over by the end of this week. It was the eight day of their fourteen-day deal. That scared Ga Eul. She couldn’t picture herself not talking to Yi Jeong next week. There was a pain that began to creep its way inside her chest to remind her that she would be compromising herself. After that kiss last night Yi Jeong had smiled at her and walked her to her room without a word.

            Closing her eyes and wishing it only to be a dream Ga Eul only heard Yi Jeong’s voice.

“Ga Eul-yang. Do you want to see magic again?”

“One.”

“Two.”

“Three.”

Groaning softly Ga Eul covered her eyes with the back of her arm as she lay on her bed.

“What have I gotten myself into?” Ga Eul questioned softly to herself.

So Yi Jeong was a player. The most notorious Casanova in all of Korea. But he was also sweet, kind, handsome, his smile was. Shaking her head Ga Eul thought of her future. Would there be anything with Yi Jeong? Could he actually commit. That thought in itself caused Ga Eul to drily laugh at herself; mostly to avoid tears. So Yi Jeong was a player. He was always going to be a player. And there was no way that he would change for her. With a shake of her head Ga Eul got up from her bed and got ready for her day. Before heading out the door she reminded herself that Yi Jeong would probably act nonchalantly about the kiss and she should too. With a deep breath she opened her door only to grow startled by Yi Jeong who was about to knock on the door.

“Sunbae!”

“Morning Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong answered with a charming smile. The worse part for Ga Eul was, it was a real smile.

 

{Y.J}

“Don’t overthink it.”
“Don’t overthink.” Those were the words that Yi Jeong had said to himself the previous night as he kissed Ga Eul again. While there had been kisses on the cheek and even a real kiss stolen, this kiss was different. There was something different in that kiss.

            Yi Jeong would like to think of himself as an expert in matters such as women and things of that sort. But Ga Eul was different. It was hard to admit to himself but when he kissed her the previous night it had further sparked something inside him that he had not wished to acknowledge. There were feelings that he had known he had inside himself. The kiss had not been passionate, sensual, or pushed to wanting more like his previous experiences. It had been gentle, sweet, soft, and innocent. Yi Jeong felt silly just thinking of that last word. Something had sparked in him. Yi Jeong could recognize that he cared for Ga Eul. He cared for his friends after all; but this was different. Ga Eul made him feel different, and Yi Jeong liked that feeling; he liked Ga Eul.

            Ga Eul was pure, innocent, and made him feel like he still had a chance to be more than he himself thought he could be. In a matter of a week Ga Eul had managed to see more than he had ever shown anyone of himself. There were many things that Ga Eul knew nothing of and that Yi Jeong still feared she would one day know and hate about him. Still, he hoped that Ga Eul would still care enough about him to stay with him. That kiss brought forth emotions of so many things but it made Yi Jeong hope. She made him want the same things his friends all had. The prickles he’d felt for the past few days, the panic he felt, embarrassment, wanting to better himself in front of Ga Eul, wanting to impress her. They had all been indicators to something Yi Jeong might have not wanted to acknowledge at the beginning of last week and would have laughed at had someone told him this too. He liked Ga Eul as more than a friend. The way she smiled, the way her eyes sparkled. Her smile truly was something that for the first time in a very long time made him want to smile back.

            Yi Jeong was aware of what being with him entailed. He knew that being with him was not easy and he’d given them two weeks. A rule that for the first time he was both glad for and hated at the same time. He’d gotten to know Ga Eul because of this rule; an accident on his part but now what was really left? Would Ga Eul be interested in giving them a try? Giving him a chance? Whatever this was, whatever he felt he sincerely hoped Ga Eul would feel the same way at this point. In a matter of one week things had changed for both of them and while in the beginning neither of them had been enthusiastic to be with the other, much less on a friendly level. They had gradually gotten closer and it had all been her doing.

            Chu Ga Eul had pushed him to points no one had managed to break his walls. They were beginning to crack because of her and while he had been afraid in the very beginning he now welcomed her intrusion. Why? Maybe it was because she was a person whose single smile and touch was able to appease his volatile heart. His friends would have laughed at his thoughts calling him stupid. Not for liking Ga Eul; but for not realizing it sooner. He’d spent the previous night pondering endlessly about his feelings but when he’d finally come to this point he could only feel hope fill his heart.

            Standing in front of Ga Eul’s door he continued to remind himself not to overthink. Mainly because he refused to let nerves take over. He also refused to let himself digress to his earlier stages and make an out of himself in front of Ga Eul again. He would push himself; for her and only for her. Before his hand could reach the door it was open by Ga Eul who looked more than a little startled.

“Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke with a blush.

“Morning Ga Eul-yang.” He spoke with a smile. His smile intensifying when she blushed once again and bit her lip.

“Morning.” She whispered quietly closing the door behind her. Giving her little space to move Ga Eul was pressed against the door and himself.

            Yi Jeong could see her blush as she avoided his gaze and nervously played with her hair which had been made into a side ponytail.

“Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong spoke bending down slightly so he could be at eye level with Ga Eul who was now nervously looking at him. Her reaction made his heart race and he felt like laughing knowing Ga Eul was overthinking things. At the same time, he wanted to ask if that kiss had meant something to her as well. However, Yi Jeong settled for teasing and reached to brush the corner of Ga Eul’s lips with his thumb gently.

“Sunbae,” Ga Eul began but Yi Jeong proceeded to cut her off.

“You had toothpaste on the corner of your mouth.” He lied moving away from Ga Eul watching as she wiped at .

“It’s gone. Let’s go meet everyone else for breakfast.” He spoke to her taking her hand. He wanted to laugh at Ga Eul’s reaction but at the same time he realized Ga Eul was acting like a flustered bird who had been startled and was hastily flapping it’s wings to try and keep its balance. Yi Jeong was unsure of what was to come next but he was sure Chu Ga Eul would make it interesting and he’d come to hope that by the end of the two week mark they could be something more than friends.

 

{G}

            This was not good. No matter how Ga Eul looked at it her heart was fluttering away the same way a humming birds own heart beat. She had no clue what So Yi Jeong was doing to her and that scared her. He had acted so smooth and casual a few minutes ago and was currently leading her toward their group of friends very nonchalantly.

“How can he be so calm after kissing me last night?” Ga Eul wondered.

            It was a second later that Ga Eul came to the conclusion; a known fact for that matter, that Yi Jeong had done more than give girls kisses.

“Last night was nothing to him.” Ga Eul thought to herself. They were currently holding hands. Yi Jeong was leading her towards a large table that had been set up in the same spot the previous night. She could see Jan Di and Jun Pyo having their daily argument while Jae Kyung and Woo Bin were being disgustingly affectionate hugging and kissing each other so intimately without a care in the world and so much love in their eyes Ga Eul felt both embarrassed and envious at the same time. The two couples that sat there as they approached looked perfect for one another complementing each other’s personalities. They were lucky and Ga Eul wondered if she could ever have that with anyone. Unconsciously she turned to Yi Jeong. She thought of having a future with him and that scared her more when she knew one, they were not on that level yet; not even close. And two, she supposed that they were of two different worlds; polar opposites with nothing in common.

            Ga Eul thought of the kind of girl that Yi Jeong would more than likely marry. Someone beautiful; more likely a socialite that would be just as rich and powerful as his family. She would more than likely be adored by his parents and she wondered if that girl would be anything like Jan Di or Jae Kyung.

“A girl like them would do him some good.” Ga Eul thought to herself though the ache in her heart began to grow at the thought of it. Though she'd rather think of Yi Jeong happy and in love than with someone who would make him miserable.

“Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong spoke, breaking her free from her train of thought. There was a kind smile on his lips, one that was rare and that made her heart squeeze for more than one reason. Offering a smile, she sat when Yi Jeong pulled the chair out for her. Ga Eul could see Ariel and Ji Hoo walking towards the table her friend was smiling brightly again causing Ga Eul to smile, more so when she noticed Ji Hoo talking to her with a smile and their arms were intertwined as they walked.

“Things are cleared up.” She thinks. She see’s Yi Jeong about to sit and stops him by tugging on his arm.

“Can Ariel sit here?” Ga Eul asks and though Yi Jeong looks surprised he nods.

            Ga Eul’s heart calms just a bit as she hopes that being away from Yi Jeong just a bit longer will help calm her heart and make her head realize that she is just confused at the moment.

“It’s alright Yi Jeong. You can sit with Ga Eul. I’ll sit next to Ji Hoo Sempai.” Ariel speaks with a bright smile heading to sit across the table with Ji Hoo who is already engaged in a conversation with Woo Bin. Giving her friend a bright smile Ariel mouths a “You’re Welcome” to Ga Eul who only feels her cheeks flush further.

“I should really tell her Yi Jeong and I are just friends.” Ga Eul thinks to herself. She tries to get her mind out of her erratic thoughts and simply tries to relax when Yi Jeong is pulled into a conversation by Goo Jun Pyo who asks Yi Jeong about his next exhibition. They slip into comfortable talk and Ga Eul thinks that Yi Jeong has forgotten about her for the moment and begins to relax.

“Ga Eul. How are you liking Caledonia?” Jan Di asks. She’s the closest to her sitting at the end of the table with Jun Pyo. Jae Kyung and Ariel are both enjoying their breakfast and Jae Kyung is trying to talk Ariel into doing a reading on her.

“It’s great. Things are.” Ga Eul begins her mind flowing back to the kiss.

“Magical.” She finds herself saying and flushes when she catches Yi Jeong smiling as he continues to chat with Jun Pyo.

            Ga Eul is embarrassed to know that he’s heard her and simply reaches for a piece of cut fruit on her plate stuffing it in and hoping that the talking with Jan Di will end because she really doesn’t want to talk about what happened last night.

“I loved the fireworks. I can’t believe you guys did that. It was great. I took lots of pictures.” Ariel intervenes hearing the conversation between Jan Di and Ga Eul. Ga Eul on the other hand can only continue to eat her fruit quietly and as quickly as possible hoping for the subject to be switched.

“We’re F4.” Jun Pyo speaks up.

“Besides it was Yi Jeong’s idea. He’s the one that was trying to seduce Ga Eul last night.” Woo Bin speaks. It’s at that moment that Ga Eul chokes on a piece of watermelon she had been chewing and begins to cough rather violently. She can tell her face is as red as a tomato and can hear Woo Bin and Jun Pyo both laughing. Yi Jeong begins to gently pat her back to try and get her to stop coughing and when she finally does he hands her a glass of fresh orange juice.

“You guys are idiots.” Jan Di scolds both Jun Pyo and Woo Bin but only Jun Pyo is hit in the back of the head while Jae Kyung simply pulls at Woo Bin’s ear rather harshly.

            Ga Eul can only continue to blush because she realized no one knows anything and she was simply being teased again.

“Are you alright Ga Eul-yang?” Yi Jeong asks.

“Yes.” She manages to say. Yi Jeong offers her a smile and Ga Eul finds herself smiling back nervously.

“Don’t joke like that with Ga Eul. She’s far too innocent for your jokes Prince Song.” Jae Kyung speaks. The subject is dropped then and Ga Eul is glad when everyone seems to slip into a conversation of what there is to do next. Ga Eul slowly begins to relax and it’s only when Yi Jeong begins to talk about going to a stable that she realizes he’s been rubbing her back gently in order to calm her. Ga Eul can only blush.

 

            The stables are nice. It’s more like a farm filled with so many green pastures and Ga Eul is happy to see the horses. There’s so many of them, all very beautiful and looking majestic.

“Do all of these belong to Jun Pyo?” Ga Eul asks Yi Jeong who is helping her prepare her horse. Although her heart has not stopped humming to her she finds the scene around her calm and her mood had slightly shifted with excitement at riding a horse. She doesn’t have experience with horses simply one but she wants to give it a chance. She’s not afraid; one bad experience doesn’t make for a lifetime of fear.

“Yes. His parents bought this place for Jun Pyo and his sister. Which is why we’re aloud to take the horses wherever we want.” Yi Jeong tells her finally finishing placing the saddle on her horse and going to work on his own. Ga Eul offers him a smile and goes to her own horse. He’s a light brown color and his hair falls so beautifully down the side. Ga Eul is careful as she reaches up to pet him. The horse softly neighs at her and though she’s startled just a bit she laughs when the horse leans in and at her hand wanting her to touch him. She hears Yi Jeong chuckle beside her and Ga Eul turns to look at him.

“He likes you.” Yi Jeong states and Ga Eul smiles at Yi Jeong before reaching to pet his horse which is a reddish brown color. It’s quite beautiful and as she reaches to touch his soft hair the horse pushes Yi Jeong toward Ga Eul causing them both to laugh.

“We should get going.” Jun Pyo speaks up from up front. Nodding they both simply turn to their horses.

            It’s hard for Ga Eul to climb on, the horse is big and she can’t seem to get herself to sit. She’s about to fall when she feels hands at her waist to help her up. Her cheeks burn when she see’s Yi Jeong who doesn’t say a word and simply walks away getting on his horse.

“Thank you.” She tells him quietly when the horses begin to walk slowly. Yi Jeong doesn’t say anything to her still, instead; he offers a smile and Ga Eul finds her heart beating rapidly once more.

 

{J.H}

            Ji Hoo is trying to saddle his horse as is everyone else but he can continuously hear the clicking of the camera. Ariel is a few feet away from him taking pictures of everything and everyone. There’s a bright smile on her face and for that Ji Hoo is glad. Mainly because it seems to suit the girl better than sadness. His heart begins to sink and he thinks about Seo Hyun again. The last tine they had been on the island both of them had ridden horses together. It was always so peaceful. He felt like she listened to him but only now he realized he never told her the most important thing he’d wanted to say to her.

“Sempai.” Ariel speaks and she offers him a bright smile. She reaches to touch his arm and it tells him she’d seen his sadness if only briefly. It’s weird, if not just a bit refreshing to have someone not show sympathy or try to understand.

“Things get better.” Everyone including Ariel had said to him. But it seemed like only she had been sure of it.

            Another click and this time a bright flash startled him and she laughed wholeheartedly.

“Your horse is pretty.” She speaks to him reaching to pet the dark brown horse. Ji Hoo smiles and pets the horse as well. Animals are calming. For now, Ji Hoo determines to find calm and then try to live without her if he can do that first, then he can continue to live.

“This is Brownie. All these horses belong to Jun Pyo. My horse is in Seoul his name is Rui.” Ji Hoo explains to her. Ariel smiles at him her eyes lighting up and she begins to ask questions about it. Her excitement bubbling over as she practically jumps when Ji Hoo tells her about his white horse.

“Sempai. Could I see him? Would you let me take pictures of him? I’ve always wanted to see a white horse. They’re so beautiful.” Ariel says and Ji Hoo nods smiling softly at her.

“We should get going.” Jun Pyo announces to the group. Ariel then offers Ji Hoo a tight smile and Ji Hoo notices that there had been no horse out for her.

“I’ll go get one.”

“It’s alright. I didn’t want to ride one. I don’t know how.” She said to him.

“Neither does Ga Eul.” Ji Hoo pointed out to her.

“Animals tend to not like me.”

“You just pet this horse and he seemed to like you.”

“It’s alright. I’m afraid to fall.” Ariel admitted.

“Come on then. You can ride with me. It’s just like riding a motorcycle. You just have to hang on.” He spoke to her climbing up on the horse first.

“I don’t know.” She spoke back to him with uncertainty. Though Ji Hoo reached for her hand in order to pull her up.

            With a soft squeak Ariel sat behind Ji Hoo grabbing on to him tightly and shutting her eyes.

“Please don’t let me fall.” She whispered to him grabbing on to his waist rather tightly. Taken back by her action Ji Hoo waited for her to calm and slowly he patted the horse on the side with his foot to let it know to walk.

“It’ll be fine.” Ji Hoo spoke to Ariel once she had finally opened her eyes and had loosened her grip on him.

“Just don’t let me fall.” She spoke to him.

“I won’t.” Ji Hoo spoke to her.

“Promise?” Ariel spoke gently.

“Promise.” Ji Hoo spoke.

“And if you do I’ll catch you.”

 

{G}

            It was hard not to smile. Everyone seemed to be having a good time with the horses. Woo Bin and Jun Pyo were racing across the beach yelling and laughing at each other happily. Both Jae Kyung and Jan Di encouraging them and talking amongst each other while laughing. Up ahead the occasional squeal followed by a “Don’t let me fall!” continued to come out of Ariel every time Ji Hoo would ride faster. It was quite refreshing for everyone to finally hear genuine laughter from Ji Hoo; something that no one had heard in a very long time.

“This is nice.” Ga Eul spoke to Yi Jeong who rode his horse in a slow pace with Ga Eul who was more than glad for that. She was afraid to fall of the horse but with the slow pace and the fact that Yi Jeong was right beside her she was sure that if she were to fall Yi Jeong might have enough time to catch her.

“Are you liking the trip so far?” He asked her.

            Her cheeks flushed and Ga Eul tried to suppress those emotions and flashbacks that came every single time she was asked that question. Still, she could not help but answer sincerely.

“Yes.” She spoke causing Yi Jeong to smile.

“I’ve never traveled anywhere and this place is different. So is the atmosphere.” Ga Eul explained. Yi Jeong in turn offered her a smile as they continued to ride the horses.

“We come here every year. All of us since we were children.” Yi Jeong says to her.

“Why do your parents not come with you anymore?” Ga Eul asks but the second she does she knows that she’s said something wrong. Mainly because Yi Jeong has that look on his face which Ga Eul knows is filled with pain. She squeezes the horses reigns tightly and the horse neighs lifting her up and causing her to gasp.

“Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong speaks alarmed managing to control the horse and Ga Eul can only count her blessings and is glad that she held on tightly to the horse.

“I’m sorry Sunbae.” Ga Eul speaks to him their horses having now stopped, the rest continuing and having not noticed what was going on behind them continue to walk.

“I always seem to ask the wrong questions or speak too much.” She tells him; their horses moving in a way that Yi Jeong and Ga Eul are both only inches away from each other.

            Her heart races when Yi Jeong reaches to fix a lock of hair that has fallen to her face and he tucks it behind her ear gently causing Ga Eul to look down and blush as Yi Jeong smiles at her gently.

“It’s alright Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong says to her.

“That’s what I like about you.” He continues. Ga Eul’s heart races and it’s instinctual for her to look up at him locking eyes as her mind and her heart are screaming in unison while Yi Jeong moves forward. There’s not much to think about because in that moment Ga Eul knows what she wants. Her heart, soul, and mind all know what she wants.

“Kiss me.” She thinks in her head as her eyes close awaiting for that kiss.

“Hey are you two done over there!”

            Jumping apart Ga Eul blushes at the voice of the Shinwa heir. More so when she realizes everyone has now stopped what they’re doing and is looking at both her and Yi Jeong.

“If you two want to make out then go do it somewhere else where no one can see.” Jun Pyo continues and it is only when Jan Di hits him and begins to scold him that Ga Eul finally stops squirming enough to move herself away from Yi Jeong. It’s miraculous the way she manages to move herself and her horse to where Ariel is with Ji Hoo. Her friend sends her a cheeky smile and all Ga Eul can do is avoid eye contact with everyone else wanting to hide herself under a rock.

“Having fun Yi Jeong?” Woo Bin asks with a smirk.

“Bite me.” He responds causing Woo Bin’s smirk to intensify.

“Let’s just get the horses back and enjoy the rest of our time here.” Ji Hoo speaks. This seems to make everyone forget about Ga Eul and Yi Jeong and Ga Eul can only send a thankful smile to Ji Hoo glad the attention had finally been taken off her.

           

 {J.H}

            Quiet always seemed to mellow him out. It gave Ji Hoo time to reflect and think and it was a good way to sort out his thoughts and heartache. He’d thought being away from his friends the past couple of days was initially a good idea. It hurt and Ji Hoo admitted there was envy, when he saw Jun Pyo with Jan Di, Woo Bin with Jae Kyung and now Yi Jeong was starting what appeared to be a serious relationship with Ga Eul; or it at least was starting to become a relationship anyway. It felt like all of a sudden he was the only one that was alone. He thought about Seo Hyun and what she had meant to him from the moment his parents died, what she still meant to him now and everything they had seemed to go through together.

            In the back of his mind he had always known that she was never meant to be with him. She was a woman who always seemed to be out of reach dreaming as big as she wanted and always moving away from him when he thought he had a grasp on her. Too late Ji Hoo realized that as much as he shared with her about his life; she kept so many things away from him.

“I didn’t want to hurt you.”

Shutting his eyes tightly trying to avoid the pain he tries to concentrate on erasing. Because this is what this trip is about. Forgetting. To him this isn’t a fun vacation where he gets to be beside people he cares about or a romantic get away; no. This is about forgetting her. He’s in the middle of the ocean now, the waves are calm and he’s trying to mellow out his head the way his grandfather had taught his father and himself since he was a child. Fishing. There’s a fishing rod in his hands and Ji Hoo patiently waits for a catch.

            He thinks of the last time he was there with Seo Hyun and it’s a bit bitter sweet when he remembers it to be more than two years ago. He should have known something was wrong but he never once asked her about seeing someone. Part of him always hoped that she always knew how he felt and he hadn’t been wrong about that. What he had not anticipated was the fact that she wouldn’t feel the same way. He loved her but she had only given him kindness and affection that he needed at a time where he was truly alone. That was the way she had seen it. It was the way she had explained it to him when he had gone of to Paris in search for her. It was painful, to be rejected in such a way after loving a person for so long. Now it hurt too much and it felt like he would never get over this. Could he ever get over this? Would he want to? Would it ever be possible to fall in love with someone again?

“It’s been over an hour.” Ariel speaks up causing Ji Hoo to pull himself away from his train of thought.

“Sorry. I was just thinking.”
“That’s fine. You’re allowed to. It’s part of the process.” Ariel tells him with a kind smile.

“Not that I would know of course. So I can’t really give you an input.” She speaks honestly.

“But I was talking about the fish.” She tells him.

“We’ve been here for over an hour and not one fish has come.” Ariel says to him.

            Her camera is once again around her neck and Ji Hoo wonders if she’s been taking pictures like she had told him she wanted to. It was why he had agreed to take her out on the boat with him. He was surprised at how quiet she had been the past few hours. For someone who acted like an over active energizer bunny she was good at being quiet when she wanted to be.

“Fishing takes a long time you have to be patient.” Ji Hoo tells her.

“I’m good at waiting.” She speaks with a frown before she smiles at him brightly.

“I took lots of pictures though.” She tells him with a bright smile.

“This place is nice. Peaceful. I think I want to come here with him.”
“Ah. The mysterious New York guy.” Ji Hoo speaks and Ariel blushes.

“Do you seriously believe that?” Ji Hoo finds himself asking.

“Do you really plan on waiting for someone that might or might not exist?” He asks her.

            There’s a look in her eyes as she begins to speak and Ji Hoo can only look at her as she blushes.

“I have to.”

“I’ve never really.”
“People don’t like me.” She tells him a look of sadness in her eyes.

“I don’t have a lot of friends Sempai. Jae Ha and Ga Eul are my best friends. My mom she.”
“She says she’ll be the last one to ever see what she does but. She’s never been wrong about anything.”
“You said before that she told you about him.” Ji Hoo says and Ariel smiles brightly at him.

“Yeah.”

“My mom knows everything. She says that people who are destined to be together. Really together, the forever kind of love are attached from lifetimes ago. This is just. Another life where he and I will be together.” She continues.

“It sounds like a fantasy.” Ji Hoo speaks before he can stop himself. He half expects Ariel to start crying but instead she smiles at him gently.

“You feel that way now. But you won’t when you find the person you’re supposed to be with.” Ariel tells him.

“Mom won’t let me read my own destiny she says it’ll ruin my future if I do and take away all the magical stuff about falling in love.” Ariel tells him with a pout.

“But I can’t figure out why she says that when she’s known about dad her entire life and she still has that look in her eyes.” Ariel tells him.

“You believe her?” Ji Hoo questions.

“I have to.”
“She’s my mother. And I love her. Even if she’s different.” Ariel says to him.

            They linger in silence for a little while and then Ji Hoo speaks.

“I can read you if you want.” Ji Hoo tells her.

“Someone taught you?” Ariel asks and Ji Hoo nods.

“I picked it up on a trip here to Caledonia a few years ago.”
“Have you ever asked about your love life?” She questioned.

“I always thought things would work out. Maybe I was just afraid.” Ji Hoo says his words sounding bitter to his own ears.

“I can do it.” Ariel speaks taking her deck of cards out from her small bag she had been carrying.

“My mother told me not to bring them but I had to. Jae Kyung has been really obsessed with knowing things about her future.” Ariel says.

“You can ask it what you want and I also want to know one thing. Just one about him.” Ariel continues.

“Alright.” Ji Hoo concedes.

“You go first.” Ariel tells him opening the small box where her deck of cards is a small little pink folded paper falls out and just as Ariel takes it and is about to hand the deck to Ji Hoo a harsh gust of wind comes blowing half of the deck away and into the water.

“Oh No! My cards!” Ariel speaks standing up from where she’s sitting beside Ji Hoo and reaching out to her cards; watching as some of the cards float away in the water. She’s holding on to the small pink folded paper and sighs.

            Turning to look at Ji Hoo she pouts.

“I found this note with my deck this morning when I gave Jae Kyung a reading but I didn’t want to read it. I guess now I have to.” Ariel says heading over to sit with him.

“Dear Ariel. I know you took your cards on your trip even when I warned you not to.” She continues to read and Ji Hoo can’t help but chuckle when he realizes Ariel’s mother was right.

“But I do have something to say to Ji Hoo.” She continues to read.

“Although in this moment in time things feel like they’ve lost sense things won’t always be that way. Love comes when you least expect it, at a time you would have never thought, and with a person you never imagined you could love more than you will.”

“Live this pain. Keep walking through this path because it will lead you to the ultimate happiness and your perfect love.” Ariel finished.

“That doesn’t say much.” Ji Hoo tells her and Ariel smiles at him genuinely.

“She never does. But you can hope.” Ariel tells him.

“Maybe.” He answers her just as his fishing rod is being pulled. He begins to reel the fish in with little struggle and Ariel starts to squeal when she feels something pull hers. A tug begins for the two and when they pull up their hooks they are interlocked together. Looking at each other they both laugh Ji Hoo untangling the hooks carefully and then both of them release it back and wait.

{G}

            Everyone is lounging on the beach with the exception of Ji Hoo and Ariel who have gone off on a boat together to fish. Ga Eul wonders to herself how it is that her friend will manage to stay still and she chuckles to herself.

“What?” Yi Jeong asks.

“Nothing.” Ga Eul speaks before looking out in to the water. She can’t see the boat but she imagines that Ariel is taking lots of pictures and smiles.

“They’ll be fine you know.” Yi Jeong tells her.

“Ji Hoo is a good guy. Girls like Ariel are fine with him.” Yi Jeong continues.

“He’s been laughing again. Even if he still has that look on his face Ariel seems to make him smile.” Yi Jeong says.

“What about you Sunbae?” She questions him silently. Everyone around them seems to be enthralled doing their own thing. Jan Di and Jun Pyo are walking along the beach while they argue occasionally chasing one another and Woo Bin and Jae Kyung are being quite intimate a few chairs away from both Ga Eul and Yi Jeong. Both too enthralled with one another to really pay attention to anyone else.

            Yi Jeong is quiet for a while before he offers Ga Eul a questioning smile.

“What about me?” Yi Jeong asks.

“Sunbae.”

“You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to. You can just pretend to have not heard.” Ga Eul adds as more of an after thought afraid that he will push away.

“But.”
“Do you feel that way?”
“Your eyes. I can. Always see when you.”
“Not always.” Yi Jeong interrupts. There’s a look in his eyes which tell Ga Eul that she has overstepped once again and she tries to speak only to have Yi Jeong raise his hand to stop her.

“Life isn’t always perfect Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong tells her.

“Having money, and lots of it can buy you a lot of things but you lack others.” Yi Jeong tells her.

“Given the chance to have all of this or have no money and a normal life I think I’d chose having nothing.”

            His words linger in the quiet between them and Ga Eul wants to ask more but the look in his eyes tells her that he’s shared more than he can allow himself and Ga Eul reaches to take his hand on her own accord. Yi Jeong smiles at her lacing his hands with hers.

“You have a lot of people that care about you Sunabe. Your friends seem to care so much for you.”
“My friends. Ariel and Jae Ha oppa. They’re my family too.”
“Jae Ha oppa?” Yi Jeong questions and Ga Eul blushes.

“Do you still like him Ga Eul-yang?” Yi Jeong questions causing the heat in her cheeks to rise further.

            Her heart seems to race and Ga Eul can’t help but feel that there is another question mixed inside this seemingly innocent one.

“I.”
“You don’t have to answer that I.”
“I care about him.” Ga Eul concludes to herself more than to him. She can feel the grip on her hand loosen but she continues to talk anyway.

“We have a deep bond and recently I’ve realized it was just good friendship rather than love.” Ga Eul says.

Her hand is squeezed and Ga Eul can’t help but squeeze Yi Jeong’s hand back. Something feels different. Maybe it was the previous night and though a few hours ago she had felt awkward and like running away, the look in Yi Jeong’s eyes as he was looking at her made her want to stay.

“Ga Eul-yang. Would you like to have dinner with me tonight? Just the two of us.”

The words come out without much effort and leaving her breathless as her heart speaks and her mind silences.

“Yes.”

 

{Y.J}

            Everything is set up. He’s asked staff to prepare a small dinner out by the shore line. Candles have been lit and all Yi Jeong really needs is to go get Ga Eul. There is less than a week left before this deal with Ga Eul is over. It feels insane, to like someone so much. The last person he had liked had been Eun Jae and while that had been a huge mistake in his life. Ga Eul was different. All emotions seemed to awaken when he was with her. While he was afraid to face all that was going on within himself. Yi Jeong knew that there would be no opportunity like this again. To love and be loved by a person like Chu Ga Eul. She was someone who he wanted in his life.

“Aren’t you having fun.”
            The voice that Yi Jeong hears causes him to turn around, only to be met by several men in dark suits.

“Who are you?”
“What is this?” Yi Jeong asks. His intent is to fight but when a gun is pointed at him he raises his hands up.

There’s a man that moves forward. There’s a scar that runs down across his right eye. His head is completely shaved. His eyes are piercing mad and he smells of cheap cologne that makes Yi Jeong want to gag.

“Grab him.” The man speaks to the rest who get ahold of Yi Jeong.

“What are you doing?”
The man doesn’t answer simply smirks at Yi Jeong before hitting him unconscious. His last thoughts before darkness consumes him is Ga Eul.

 

{J.H}

            The boat is just a few feet away from land but Ji Hoo can see it. Ariel is shaking beside him while he presses a hand to and they both hide trying not to be seen. All of those men are armed. He can hear his and Ariel’s heart pounding. There’s nothing they can do. Ji Hoo more than Ariel is feeling incompetent at the moment. What can he do when they’re armed? When they could harm his friend? Or hurt the girl he’s currently hiding with. There are several small motor boats a few feet away and both Ariel and Ji Hoo watch as Yi Jeong is carried toward one and tossed inside.

            They begin to speak in Japanese. Though Ji Hoo is familiar with the language, he can only make out some words but by the look of terror Ariel is giving him as she clings on to him gripping on to his hand that is covering Ji Hoo knows it’s not good. The men turn on their motor and Ariel hugs him tightly until the boats are a good distance away. Ariel pushes away from him taking her camera out and making sure to take pictures. Ji Hoo on the other hand takes his phone out to call police.

“What did they say?” He asks Ariel.

“They’re going to kill him.”