Chapter 21: Flutter

Vulnerable Heart

{G}

 

The air was cold, the wind gently whispering to the air. Silently Ga Eul watched the fire that was lit inside the kiln, inside there were a few small tea cups that were being made. Ga Eul could tell there was something on Yi Jeong’s mind simply based on the fact that he’d been quite distant and pensive since morning. Ga Eul wondered whether his parents were okay. While she understood why Yi Jeong was staying at a distance with them for the time being, she hoped he would be able to mend his relationship with them in the future.

 

There was a lot of pain and resentment in Yi Jeong’s heart and Ga Eul knew that only time would chip away the hurt that Yi Jeong had felt. Yi Jeong was better now and she was glad. What she didn’t want was for him to revert back, though that was unlikely now simply because they were at this point, she hoped that they could face it together. Based on his actions and his behavior around her Ga Eul was sure this had something to do with them. Feeling the wind pick up Ga Eul shivered letting out a shaky breath of air.

 

Without a word, Yi Jeong simply placed a blanket around her offering her a smile which instantly warmed Ga Eul’s heart and caused her cheeks to turn pink. Offering Yi Jeong a smile Ga Eul hugged the blanket closer to her, while she watched the tea cups continue to be hugged by the bright red flame.

“They look happy,”
“The dishes in there I mean…Instead of being wary from the heat I have a feeling that they’re happy.”
“Why?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“Because they’re hoping that if they endure and it turns out well, they’ll be loved.”

 

Ga Eul watched as a smile was brought to Yi Jeong’s lips due to her words, it was a silent I love you which Ga Eul knew he’d understood.

“Just like Ga Eul-yang” Yi Jeong spoke more to himself than to her.

“Now tell me… I’m ready. You have something to tell me don’t you?”

Ga Eul watched Yi Jeong hesitate for a few seconds, his posture rigid as if waiting for something bad to happen but he spoke anyway,

“I’m… leaving.”
 

His words shocked Ga Eul, her heart stopped and at the same time her mind was trying hard to keep focused on his words not on her pain, something she tried to mask. She needed to listen, good or bad, no matter what she would support him. Even if that meant saying goodbye.

“I didn’t know how to tell you. I..”
“To where are you going?” Ga Eul managed to ask her voice steady while she tried to keep calm.

“Sweden.”

“When? No… For how long?”
“Soon… Maybe four or five years.” Yi Jeong spoke his voice calm yet he wouldn’t look at Ga Eul. A sign to her that this was just as hard for him as it was for her.

 

There was so much that was going on in her mind. Where would that leave them? What about her? Was he telling her to forget about them? They’d never even had a chance to truly start. Things were going so well and now… No... she couldn’t allow herself to be selfish.

“That’s good. You’ll become an even better potter” Ga Eul found herself saying. Truly, it was something she felt from the bottom of her heart. Even if that meant she would lose him. All she ever wanted was for Yi Jeong to be happy. It was a promise she had made to herself from the beginning and she would not forget it now. Still, she needed to know, where they stood now, even if it would be painful to let go.

“So what happens next?”

“What about us?” She wanted to ask.

 

Once again, Yi Jeong was quiet, his eyes continued to look ahead at the burning fire.

“When I come back…You’ll be the first person I’ll look for.” Yi Jeong spoke finally looking at her. His words caused a flutter in her heart, just like that things felt at ease.

“Wait for me” a silent promise of a tomorrow.

“Sunbae.” Without another word Ga Eul simply rested her head on Yi Jeong’s shoulder. There was no more need for words. There was nothing more to say. Both of them understood, no matter how long, or the distance, they would wait. Ga Eul was sure, that in her heart there would only be him and nothing else mattered.

 

{YJ}

 

She would wait. Ga Eul would wait for him. Nothing put his heart at ease more than this. Yi Jeong had been so worried about what would happen when he told Ga Eul he would be leaving for Sweden. Deciding to leave hadn’t been easy for him but how could he not go? There was so much that he wanted to do, not only for him but for Ga Eul as well.

 

While he loved her and cared for her, he felt it wasn’t enough. Even when Ga Eul had told him she liked him just how he was. Yi Jeong wanted and needed to become a better person. The person he was now and the person he had been was not good enough for Ga Eul. This time unlike the past, he was not going to push everyone away. He needed time for himself, to become a better person. Ga Eul had shown him the man he could be and now he wanted to be just that for her. Parking his car in front of his house Yi Jeong and Ga Eul both silently sat together.

 

The entire ride back had been silent but comfortable. They’d both put their worries at ease. He realized that like him, Ga Eul had been worried about letting go of each other. However, even if he was leaving, there was one thing Yi Jeong was sure of, he was not letting go of Ga Eul.

“I’ll see you tomorrow Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke getting out of the car on her own. Following behind her Yi Jeong turned to head inside his Aunt and Uncle’s home however, before he could even take out his keys Ga Eul’s father had opened the door for Ga Eul.

“Let’s have a talk kid.” Ga Eul’s father spoke, the look in his eyes was stern and caused Yi Jeong to face palm silently.

 

Mentally Yi Jeong had tried to prepare himself time and time again, knowing this was bound to happen one day. However, today was not the day Yi Jeong had expected. Without a word Yi Jeong headed towards Ga Eul’s house bowing politely to her father.

“Appa.”

“Go to your room Ga Eul. Your friend and I need to talk.” Mr. Chu spoke sternly before Ga Eul could say anything more Yi Jeong decided to speak.

“It’s fine Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong tried to reassure. Yi Jeong watched Ga Eul’s eyes express worry but even so she nodded and walked away leaving Yi Jeong and her father alone.

“Sit.” Mr. Chu spoke calmly, his voice stoic and Yi Jeong could only feel anxious as he dis as he was told.

 

For a long time, there was not a word spoken between the two, Yi Jeong was starting to feel like time had frozen and he was caught in this uncomfortable situation. However, as much as he wanted to run this was something that needed to be done if he wished to be able to see Ga Eul again; this much Yi Jeong was aware of.

“I told you last time did I not?” Mr. Chu spoke his voice low though there was no anger in his voice Yi Jeong knew the man in front of him had every right to be upset. For a moment. Yi Jeong contemplated pretending he was unaware of what Mr. Chu was referring to. However, this would most definitely work against him.

“Yes sir.” Yi Jeong finally answered.

“While you had no control as to what happened to you that night you are the cause of my daughters tears.”

“A friend who has made my daughter cry, caused her to stay up countless times, is that really a friend?... And now you hope to be more?... Last time I asked what your intentions were with my daughter. Now I ask you the same?”

 

These questions that were directed at Yi Jeong he was prepared for. The confession as to how much pain he had put Ga Eul through was also something Yi Jeong expected. However, that didn’t mean that hearing it didn’t caused guilt to fill Yi Jeong’s heart. Even when Ga Eul had forgiven him it was something that still pulled at his heart.

“Do you think that my daughter is a toy you play with when you”

“No.” Yi Jeong spoke cutting Mr. Chu off.

“I care for Ga Eul. It was never my intention to hurt her the way I did. I won’t make excuses as to why I did the things I did. It was cowardly and I had no way of dealing with what I was going through. I won’t sugar coat anything or make excuses in regards to why I did it because I don’t have any.”
“Even so Ga Eul has forgiven you for this.” Mr. Chu spoke his tone of voice expressing displeasure.

“Yes. She has… Ga Eul-yang has always understood me more than I understand myself. She’s someone that… I can always rely on to believe in me.”
“And what can you offer my daughter? All you’ve given her is heartache.”
“I don’t know.” Yi Jeong answered honestly.

“In the future… I’m not sure if Ga Eul-yang will want to stay with me but I have no doubt that my feelings for her are permanent.”
“What makes you think my daughter will change her mind?” Mr. Chu spoke.

“I’m not someone that’s good enough for her. Not at the moment. Even when we have resolved out issues I need to work on myself. I want to be the kind of person for Ga Eul that she can be proud to be besides. I know she will never care about the situation with my parents I still care. I want Ga Eul to hold her head up high when she is beside me… So I’m leaving to Sweden.”
“Sweden? You’re abandoning my daughter again selfishly.”
“Maybe.. But I need time to better myself for her. I’m not asking her to wait for me. If someone better comes along for her then I hope that she can give that person a chance. I’ll understand.”
“And you?” Mr. Chu questioned.

“There is only Ga Eul-yang.”

 

{G}

 

“There is only Ga Eul-yang.”

Remembering Yi Jeong’s words brought a smile to Ga Eul’s lips and a flutter in her heart that could only make her want to melt. Hearing Yi Jeong’s confession had caused Ga Eul to lay awake in her bed unable to contain her happiness.

 

When her father had ordered her to her room Ga Eul had simply left the living room and ended up eavesdropping in on the conversation worried that her father might say the wrong thing to Yi Jeong. However, things had ended quite nicely and Ga Eul believed that her father approved of Yi Jeong now. Mainly because he’d smiled after Yi Jeong had left.
“She’s smiling again.” Jan Di teased while Jae Kyung began to giggle. The three of them, Ariel and their new friend Luna had all gone dress shopping for dresses. Currently they were all in a boutique in Shinwaa mall. It was Jae Kyung’s turn to pick out a dress. Currently she was in a very beautiful black dress that made her legs look like they ran for miles.

“Honestly I’d think you’d be too upset to come out with us after hearing Yi Jeong’s news.” Jae Kyung concluded turning in front of a large mirror that was in front of her.

“I am. I don’t want him to leave.” Ga Eul spoke honestly.

“But something happened right?” Jae Kyung spoke cheekily while winking and causing Ga Eul to laugh.

“Nothing too serious.” Ga Eul spoke.

“He asked you to wait for him didn’t he?” Jan Di spoke knowingly.

“That’s so romantic.” Luna spoke. They’d met the girl for the first time and Ga Eul felt she was a bit shy and on the conservative side but, she seemed nice.

“Try this one on. I think blue would really make your eyes pop.” Jae Kyung spoke to Luna.

“I’m not sure I can afford any of this.” Luna spoke embarrassed.

“We’re buying. Don’t worry.”
“I.”
“No buts. Friends can do this.” Jae Kyung spoke pushing a flusters Luna inside a changing room.


Ga Eul found herself smiling at this. Jan Di and Jae Kyung were definitely girls that cared for their friends. They were a little over indulgent but they were genuine people.

“I wish everyone was having a good time though.” Jae Kyung spoke up while looking at Ariel who was off in a corner by herself staring at nothing and looking rather pensive and visibly sad.

 

It was no secret to anyone that Seo Hyun had come back. While Jan Di and Jae Kyung had known the woman for a long time they were both unhappy with this new development. Ga Eul on the other hand had never met this person. What little she knew about her had been simply based on what happened between her and Ji Hoo, that and of course the many commercials, and billboards that Seo Hyun had been in. She was beautiful, classy and confident.

Ariel hadn’t really said much about the topic. In fact, she had not mentioned this at all. There were moments like these where her emotions would show and Ga Eul felt bad about it. She’d never known Ariel to like someone before and just when things were going great, something like this happens.

“Ariel.” Ga Eul spoke causing her friend to turn to look at her. Immediately the sadness on her face was gone and in turn her smile came back brightly. The way she would hide her feelings reminded Ga Eul of Yi Jeong when he was trying to hide his own feelings.

“Well... they’re definitely family.” Ga Eul thought to herself.

“Why don’t you try on this dress on? You’ll look very beautiful.” Jae Kyung suggested to Ariel handing her a deep emerald green silk dress.

“I just came to see. I don’t have a date for my prom.” Ariel confessed.

“Isn’t Jae Ha taking you?” Ga Eul questioned.

“He asked Luna.” Ariel spoke teasingly when Luna came out in a beautiful blue dress.

“Besides. I don’t feel like going to a prom where everyone hates me. It’s like I’ll be asking to be Carrie.” Ariel spoke honestly.

“Then you’ll come with us.” Jae Kyung spoke.

“Don’t you want to go with Ji Hoo?” Jan Di questioned.

“He didn’t ask me and. Dancing isn’t really my thing.” Ariel concluded.

 

Even so, no one seemed to really buy that including Ga Eul, but she wasn’t going to push this issue yet. The door of the boutique opened and all five girls turned to see F4. Luna who had come back from changing into her dress seemed a bit flustered and immediately headed back inside the dressing room. Ga Eul found herself smiling brightly at Yi Jeong who was smiling back at her. Then of course, what seemed to sour the mood was Seo Hyun who stood beside Ji Hoo with a bright smile on her face and her arm linked with Ji Hoo.

“Hello everyone.” Seo Hyun spoke.

“Hi.” Jan Di and Jae Kyung replied back though their tone was not very welcoming but not hostile enough to be angry.

 

Ga Eul felt Ariel come stand beside her, as if wanting to hide behind her. It was strange to see her friend act in such a way. Ji Hoo on the other hand looked stiff. He wasn’t smiling and in fact seemed to be looking through everyone.

“I didn’t get to meet you two. I’ve only briefly met her but I didn’t catch your name.” Seo Hyun spoke turning her attention to Ariel.

“Ariel. Ariel Lee.” Ariel spoke her voice chirpy while she offered a bright smile.

“This is Ga Eul and Luna.” Ariel introduced when Luna finally came to stand beside her.

“Its nice to meet all of you.”
“What are you guys doing here?” Jae Kyung questioned first.

“We came to pick you up. We met Ji Hoo and Seo Hyun on our way here. They were on a date.” Jun Pyo spoke. His answer was quickly met by a glare from Jan Di and a foot stomp something that Jun Pyo quickly began to fight with Jan Di about and only caused the atmosphere to grow tenser.

 

“Maybe we should get out of here. We’re making too much noise.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“What? Are you thinking of stealing Ga Eul away? She’s ours for the day.” Jae Kyung spoke lacing her arm with Ga Eul’s.

“Actually. I was planning to take her away.” Yi Jeong responded only to be met with teasing o’s and ah’s from their friends. This caused Ga Eul’s face to immediately heat up though when Yi Jeong pulled her to him she did not reject him, causing for another round of teasing. Ga Eul allowed herself to bask in her happiness if only for a moment. She wanted to not think of Yi Jeong leaving. These moments here not were moments to treasure and hold on to until he came back.

“Where were you planning to go?” Jae Kyung questioned.

“The skating rink.” Yi Jeong spoke causing Ga Eul to smile when she remembered their previous date at the skating rink.

 

Everyone seemed to like the idea especially Jae Kyung and Jan Di both girl immediately clinging on to their respective other halves.

“We’ll go then. We’ll change and go to the skating rink.” Jae Kyung concluded. Ga Eul found herself smiling, part of her was glad secretly because they had yet to pick her dress and she didn’t want to feel guilty about her friends picking out an expensive dress she could never afford.

“Don’t think this is over. We’ll send you a dress later.” Jae Kyung spoke to Ga Eul, Ariel and Luna. Both Jae Kyung and Jan Di were quick to change and pay for their dresses and with that they were on their way out of the mall.

“You can ride with us. I’m sure Ji Hoo won’t mind.” Seo Hyun spoke with a smile to both Luna and Ariel.

“Actually, Jae Ha is coming to pick us up already.” Luna spoke.

“You should stay for a few more hours.” Seo Hyun spoke to Ariel. While Ga Eul knew Seo Hyun was trying to be nice to her friend, it really wasn’t helping the situation.

“I can’t.” Ariel spoke. Luna’s phone dinged indicating a message had come in.

“That’s Jae Ha. We should go.” Ariel spoke, never once looking at Ji Hoo, however as she passed by him in order to leave he grabbed hold of her arm. Everyone seemed to stop breathing in that moment watching them carefully. Realization seemed to cross Seo Hyun’s eyes, her hold on Ji Hoo’s arm unconsciously loosened as she too watched Ji Hoo and Ariel’s interaction.

 

Everyone watched as Ji Hoo and Ariel simply stared at one another silent words in both their eyes and then, Ariel looked away and simply broke free of Ji Hoo’s grasp. Without another word she walked away with Luna. There was a look of disappointment in Ji Hoo’s eyes that flickered for just a moment, and then that cold emotionless look came back. Ga Eul felt bad for both of her friends. Neither willing to speak of their feelings for one another, or admit to anyone what it was they were feeling. She hoped they could resolve their differences quickly. They too were on borrowed time together, with Ariel leaving to New York soon. Love was definitely complicated…

 

When they arrived to the skating rink Ga Eul found herself smiling. Being on the ice with the stars lighting the night sky always brought a smile to her face. There was something truly liberating about being on the ice. Whenever she was on it, she seemed to clear her mind. Nothing seemed to matter and her mind simply concentrated on the feeling of the wind against her hair. Around her Ga Eul could see Jan Di dragging Jun Pyo around the rink. It reminded her of an eager child pulling a very scraggly puppy around on a leash. This caused her to laugh wholeheartedly, Jae Kyung and Woo Bin were also having fun Woo Bin seemed to be chasing Jae Kyung around both of them smiling at one another and laughing when Woo Bin would crash into Jae Kyung hugging her tightly from behind.

 

On the other hand, with Ji Hoo and Seo Hyun, it was only Seo Hyun who seemed to be skating happily. Ji Hoo seemed to simply skate behind her, the stoic expression on his face never leaving him and it was clear he was definitely somewhere else completely.

“You shouldn’t worry so much about them you know.” Yi Jeong spoke taking Ga Eul’s hand as they stood outside the rink with their skates on and ready to go on the ice. Offering a smile and squeezing Yi Jeong’s hand they both walked towards the ice, slowly beginning to skate.

“Don’t you worry about them? About Ariel?” Ga Eul questioned.

“Of course I do. Ariel’s my cousin, Ji Hoo is my friend. But frankly speaking. It’s their business and there’s nothing we can do to help them at the moment.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“You’re right.” Ga Eul concluded.

“Besides.” Yi Jeong interjected.

“They’ll figure it out themselves.”
 

Nodding in agreement Ga Eul sighed however, Yi Jeong suddenly tugged her hand and they both began to skate rather fast, making a full turn around the rink. Finding herself smiling brightly Ga Eul suddenly let go of Yi Jeong feeling her heart race with adrenaline. Rushing past him she laughed lightly while skating backwards, and facing Yi Jeong, much like she had done in the past. Yi Jeong simply shushed after her both of them skating in circles around their friends who found themselves smiling as they watched Yi Jeong and Ga Eul interact so freely with one another.

 

There were no convictions of the past, this was just living in the moment. Ga Eul felt free, happy, and without any worries. Feeling arms wrap around her waist Ga Eul felt herself falling her landing was soft, finding herself against Yi Jeong’s chest. Her heart fluttered and her cheek reddened, more so when Yi Jeong managed to flip their position. Ga Eul could hear her heart pound in her chest as she looked up at Yi Jeong who was smiling at her. His face only a few inches away from her own.

“No fireworks?” Ga Eul questioned.

“There might be” Yi Jeong spoke his tone teasing, which caused Ga Eul to laugh though as YI Jeong moved closer to her she found herself closing her eyes.

“Hey you two! We’re out in public!” Woo Bin shouted causing Ga Eul to hide her face in Yi Jeong’s neck. She could hear him chuckle for just a moment before helping her up.

“Sorry.” Yi Jeong spoke though there was a smile on his face.

“It’s fine.” Ga Eul spoke.

 

They spend the rest of the night like this skating and having the time of their lives together. They weren’t pretending to not know they only had a few weeks left together. No, they simply decided to like in the moment. When they got back home Yi Jeong opened the car door for Ga Eul, smiling they walked to her porch only to find Ariel sitting on the front porch steps. The look on her face was fairly obvious.

“I’ll see you tomorrow Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong spoke simply placing a kiss on her cheek that caused Ga Eul to blush more so when she realized Ariel was there. She didn’t say anything simply offered Yi Jeong a sad smile. Patting Ariel’s head sympathetically Yi Jeong headed towards his own house, closing the door behind him and allowing both girls to be alone.

 

Quietly Ga Eul sat beside Ariel who simply brought her knees closer to herself resting her chin on her hands that rested on her knees.

“Ariel?” Ga Eul questioned. Tears began to well in Ariel’s eyes though she was smiling again. It pained Ga Eul to see her like this because it made her feel like a useless friend once again. No matter how much she and Jae Ha always tried they seemed to always disappoint Ariel by being to late to rescue her when she was bullied. The look Ariel gave her now was always the one she would give her and Jae Ha each time they arrived too late.

“I can’t love him Ga Eul.” Ariel whispered her voice quivering as she spoke.

“I’ve always known that. From the moment I met him I liked him… a lot.” She admitted.

“He’s never looked at me like I was some sort of freak. He’s the first one to always…rescue me and I... fell in love with him even when I knew it would be impossible.”
“In my heart, there’s always been hope for better. I’ve never wanted anything more as long as that one person from my future was waiting for me.”

 

Hearing Ariel say that made Ga Eul realize she was not only talking about Ji Hoo but about the mysterious guy from New York that would one day sweep her off her feet like her mother predicted. “Love at first sight” Mrs. Lee had explained.

“I’ve always fantasized about how I would meet him and how I would fall in love. I thought... there would be no one in my heart except this person... But he doesn’t exist. Not now and I... I’ve falling in love with Ji Hoo without realizing it and now…Seo Hyun is back and I’m leaving.” Ariel cried.

“Your mom could be wrong about this Ariel.” Ga Eul tried to comfort.

“She’s never wrong Ga Eul, she’s always been right about everything. She was even right about you and Yi Jeong.”
“Yi Jeong?”
“Two different men, one dark and gloomy, the other kind and loving. It means yin and yang she was talking about Yi Jeong the one he was and the one he’s becoming.” Ariel explained silently.

 

It made sense to Ga Eul now, however as much as she wanted to bask in this, there was still an unknown future ahead of them.

“Nothing is ever set in stone Ariel. Things could change.”
“They won’t” Ariel sniffled wiping away at her tears with the back of her hand.

“I want to be happy for him. The person he’s always loved has come back to him but I can’t face him now when I feel as though my heart is being ripped out every time I think of him.”
“I love photography and it’s my passion even if there was never someone waiting for me I’d want to go because it’s my dream but… I’m so afraid of my future now.”

“I can’t breathe and I don’t know how long I can live on my own. I don’t want to meet someone new when I’ve already found someone who see’s me for me not for what they think I am or what they want me to be.” Ariel sobbed. Silently Ga Eul hugged Ariel trying to offer her friend some comfort. There was nothing she could say to Ariel right now, not when she was feeling so heartbroken.

 

Her bubbly, optimistic friend was crying for someone whom Ga Eul knew from the bottom of her heart truly did car for Ariel. Part of her wished Ji Hoo would appear in front of them in order to comfort her and tell her himself what everyone already knew. Ji Hoo loved her too. Sometimes love was in deed too complicated.