Chapter 4: Day 4: The Perfect Man

Vulnerable Heart

Hey guys sorry for the huge delay. I was pretty busy these past few weeks and had little time to write. I wanted this chapter to be perfect (For me at least) But hopefully things will get back to the two week wait. Please enjoy!

***

            It was difficult to sleep. The previous day had proved more than exhausting to Yi Jeong. Checking his clock, he realized it was only 4am. Yi Jeong had spent more than half the night up working on a new pottery creation inside his kiln. Ga Eul’s words had gravely effected him and while part of him was afraid of the country bumpkin who could look past all of his bull, another side of him was more than a little intrigued by it. Deep down he wished he could let someone in but there was just too much of his life that had been soiled with the bad and allowing innocence in would not only taint it but destroy it.

            Placing his pieces in the fire to harden and make themselves into the hard appearance but very fragile tea set he sighed. It was a cold morning and the warmth of the fire did nothing to warm him inside. It was a reflection of who he had become and Yi Jeong was disgusted with himself for knowing he would never feel anything but bitterness and self loathe.

“Up already?”
            For a very brief moment, Yi Jeong froze thinking that Eun Jae had once again sought him out though he quickly relaxed when he realized it was his brother. The calm came for a second, only to be replaced by shame and guilt as it always did. Smiling, however; Yi Jeong put up a front for his brother in order to shield him of a pain that Yi Jeong knew would not only make Il Hyun hate him, but break his heart as well.

“I couldn’t sleep.” Yi Jeong answered his brother who offered him a smile.

“You’ll catch a cold in this weather if you don’t keep warm.” Il Hyun responded placing a blanket over Yi Jeong’s shoulders that made Yi Jeong feel like a child again.

            There were times when both Il Hyung and Yi Jeong would be in the Kiln together, years before Il Hyun had given up on becoming a potter. This place had been something shared between both brothers as a safe haven. It was a place where they would play together, hide away from both their parents. It was a place where all their bad childhood memories were replaced by good ones and their parents’ burdens could not reach them.

“I haven’t been here in such a long time.” Il Hyun says to him with a soft melancholic smile.

“You could always pick things up where you left them hyung. This Kiln still belongs to you too.”
Il Hyun offers Yi Jeong a smile and ruffles his hair playfully as he would a child and Yi Jeong can’t help but smile at the gesture.

 

“Somethings can’t be picked up after leaving them. I’ve lost what little touch I had with pottery.”

“Besides. I’m happy.” Il Hyun tells him with a smile on his face.

“Why are you here so early?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“I don’t know. Something just told me to come.” Il Hyun shrugs.

“My big brother senses.” He adds with a smile and Yi Jeong can’t help but feel that pain in his chest. He doesn’t say it but more than guilt there is loneliness and abandonment. After Il Hyun left the So Mansion there wasn’t much of him that Yi Jeong saw. It was only now that he had become engaged to Eun Jae and was marrying her that Yi Jeong once again began to see him around again.

“I’m happy you know.” Il Hyun continues, interrupting Yi Jeong’s train of thought. Though there is not much that Yi Jeong can tell his brother without shattering his happiness, he simply smiles.

“Eun Jae makes me really happy. She’s perfect.”
“You should settle down yourself. You’d be a lot happier.” Il Hyun tells him nudging him playfully and Yi Jeong can’t help but laugh at his brothers’ statement.

 

            If there is one thing So Yi Jeong can never see himself doing is marrying someone. There were certain rules to high society one had to follow and that included marrying someone that was equal in status with your family. Where as Il Hyun had a choice as to who he could marry Yi Jeong knew he did not.

“I don’t do arranged marriages.”
“Come on Yi Jeong. Who says you have to marry someone our parents dictate?”
“Marriage and love is for idiots.” Yi Jeong says and Il Hyun simply smiles and shakes his head at his brother.

“Love is different. It will make you happy.” Il Hyun tells him and Yi Jeong can’t help but think how happy his brother would be if he only knew the truth behind his own “Happiness”.

“Your friends seem to be settling down. I’m sure Jun Pyo and Jan Di will marry once they graduate.” Il Hyun tells him and silently Yi Jeong agrees though he deems his friend’s special circumstances he is still pessimistic that love will last forever or of their relationships are more mergers than anything. Most of the time he keeps these thoughts to himself because he does not want to anger Jun Pyo or Woo Bin when it comes to Jan Di and Jae Kyung.

“Love isn’t for me then.” Yi Jeong tells him.

“Your yet to find the right girl.”
“Please spare me.” Yi Jeong scoffed and Il Hyun hit him in the back of the head.

“What was that for?” He questioned feeling a little bit like Jun Pyo.

“Sleeping with various women isn’t going to help you find the right person.”

“Neither is sleeping with Eun Jae.” He wanted to retort back but instead he kept his mouth shut.

“I’m heading back home before I open the coffee shop you should stop by to have breakfast Eun Jae and I would really appreciate if you’d joined us.”

“I have plans this morning.” Yi Jeong said to him.

“Alright then. Next time.” Il Hyun spoke to him before walking away.

            There was a feeling of emptiness that always seemed to follow Yi Jeong and talking to his brother only made him realize how truly lonely he was. Ga Eul’s words to him the previous day had rung in his head once more and part of him realized she was right about showing who he was but, would people really accept the real So Yi Jeong? With no time to think more on the subject he simply decided to pick Ga Eul up though what their relationship was now he was unsure of. What Yi Jeong did know was that two weeks weren’t up yet and for the time being he was whatever it was with Chu Ga Eul.

            The drive to her home was uneventful and his mind continued to play tricks on him by making him remember not only Ga Eul’s words but the images of him and Eun Jae from their escapades. His brother’s choice of words continued to weigh down on him and he wondered how long things would go on before Il Hyun would discover the truth behind him and Eun Jae. Clutching the steering wheel, he almost crashed into a trashcan in front of Ga Eul’s house that he had not noticed was there in the first place.

“Damn it.” He thought to himself, knowing that he had to get himself together before Ga Eul walked out. Sending her a brief text message to let her know he was outside Yi Jeong sighed and waited.

 

Knock, Knock

            His first instinct had been to jump from his seat but Yi Jeong was truly shocked to see Ariel standing outside his car door holding a small coffee cup and a paper bag.

“Let me in.” She spoke and somehow Yi Jeong did so automatically. Smiling Ariel let herself in the car and sat next to him. Her nose was a little red from the cold and she wore a white knitted hat, a soft brown coat and a uniform skirt. Her hair was tied in two pony tails and the way she was smiling at him reminded Yi Jeong of a child.

“Hi.” Ariel chirped to him.

“My mother asked that I bring breakfast out to you. It’s coffee and a French croissant.” Ariel spoke to him.

            For a second Yi Jeong didn’t know what to respond but Ariel simply smiled, pushed the cup onto is hand and opened the bag to reveal the bread.

“My mom made it. Don’t worry. They taste pretty great and she says you haven’t had breakfast.”
Whether it was from shock, or how strange this girl was Yi Jeong couldn’t understand why he felt at ease with this girl. She was a bit like Ga Eul when it came to innocence, maybe even a little pretty herself but she was very child like.

“Anyway, you should eat up.” Ariel said to him just as Ga Eul’s front door opened and she walked out.
“Ga Eul invited you to the festival right?” Ariel questioned Yi Jeong who found himself nodding.

“Great. I’ll see you later Yi Jeong.” She said to him heading out of the car.

“Strange girl.” Yi Jeong thought to himself.

~

            Time was gold and Ga Eul was regretting her past three days of sleepless nights. Ga Eul had volunteered to help Ariel and her mother prepare teas and herbs that they would be selling and offering to the people at the festival. Very early that morning, long before the sun had risen Ga Eul had woken to help carry various things into Ariel’s father’s truck. Her parents had not helped and Ga Eul felt a little betrayed when she asked if they could.

“Don’t worry Ga Eul the smell will come out eventually.” Ariel spoke while they loaded a few boxes filled with charms up.

“Does any of this stuff actually work?” Ga Eul whispered to her friend when she saw a love charm.

“Not really. I don’t think so. Mom never promises anything and she gives these out for free. It’s the future predictions that are real.” Ariel told her.

“Remember that love potion we made last year?” Ariel questioned causing Ga Eul to laugh at the memory.

            It had been during one of the many let downs in love by Jae Ha. Ga Eul couldn’t remember what girl he was dating only that she was upset. In her desperate attempt to make herself feel better and after she and Ariel had played cards only to receive the death card and a cleanse of herbs (though if you asked Ariel and Ga Eul the smell was not so bad but the beating with them was) made them go for another method.

            Both Ga Eul and Ariel went to the public library, while Ariel wanted to search more on tarot on her own to avoid her mother’s crazy ways as she put it. Ga Eul stumbled upon a book of spells.

“That’s all crap.”
“There are witches.” Ga Eul pointed out.

“I don’t like forced love.” Ariel pointed out. It had stung to hear that but Ariel had been right. However, that didn’t deter her hope of finding love.

“Something neutral just to find our soulmate.” Ga Eul had suggested.

“I think we were switched at birth Ga Eul and when that DNA test proves your parents are mine and my crazy mother is your mother things will make a lot more sense.”

In that moment, Ga Eul wished there was a pillow around to hit her friend with but instead she opted to stick her tongue out; though Ariel only laughed.

“Come on crazy, I’ll help you with this soulmate love potion but you better hope this doesn’t mess with my future Ga Eul or I’ll find a spell to make you go bald.” Ariel joked.

            Ga Eul remembered checking the book out of the library and then running home with Ariel to read it. She was glad her friends mother had so many herbs because there were so many weird things that were needed to make the potion and Ariel had access to most of it.

“What is this?” Ga Eul asked while they stood in the middle of the small office Ariel’s mother had.

“Lions tooth.” Ariel spoke causing Ga Eul to drop it.

“Put it in the bag this thing says we’ll need it.” Ariel spoke. Ga Eul found it funny how enthusiastic Ariel now seemed to do this; a complete 360 to what she had said a few hours ago.

“Deer eye, eagle eye.”
“What are you doing?”
            Gasping and rather startled both girl turned and saw Jae Ha standing there. Ga Eul felt her heart stop before embarrassment and guilt followed suit at what she had been planning.

“How did you get in here?” Ariel questioned only to have Jae Ha raise and eyebrow in question.

“Your mom let me in. She told me you guys just came back. I wanted to take you two out for ice cream as a final relax before exams start on Monday.”

“Again, what are you two doing?” Jae Ha questioned.

            In that moment Ga Eul wanted the ground to swallow her up. Panic was clearly written in her eyes and she turned to Ariel for some help. Her friend offered a bright smile to Jae Ha first before speaking,

“We’re making a potion.”
“Ariel!” Ga Eul spoke her voice a screech that pierced through the room.

“A potion for what?” Jae Ha questioned in disbelief.

“School to pass exams.”
Laughter erupted in the room while Jae Ha began to laugh whole heartedly while holding his sides, tears practically falling from his eyes before finally he calmed.

“Are you two serious?”
“That’s a load of crap.”
At Jae Ha’s words Ga Eul could feel her cheeks redden and she appreciated her friend for not throwing her under the bus.

“All you have to do is study hard and hope you pass with a decent grade.” Jae Ha spoke nonchalantly.

“I know. But a potion won’t kill us and we could use the extra help.” Ariel said.

“Fine. I’m in” Jae Ha spoke with a smile.

“You can’t be serious?” Ga Eul spoke to Jae Ha.

“It’s Friday. I don’t have anything else to do right now and I’m sure this won’t take more than a few hours so lets just have fun.”
“Your making fun of us.” Ariel spoke to him.

“Yes.”

“But I also want to see if this works.” Jae Ha spoke though the smile on his face gave away that he was only looking to joke around and play along with them.

            Ga Eul was hoping Ariel could somehow send Jae Ha away but instead she simply sent him to gather the easy ingredients.

“Honey, your favorite flower and a personal item.” Ariel had told him.

“Alright.” Jae Ha spoke before he left.

“Ariel. What are you doing. He can’t be here. This is.”
“Calm down. He doesn’t really know what we’re doing.”
“But he’ll figure it out! And when he does I’ll have to move to Japan!”
“Japan is a very nice place and-”

“Ariel!”
“It’ll be fine go bring your favorite flower and a personal item.”
“I need to go find my things and I have an electric powered rice cooker we can use.” Ariel spoke before walking out of the room.

            For what felt like hours Ga Eul panicked wondering what she would do. In the end, she simply resided herself to her fate and headed home. She had a dried bouquet of daisies Jae Ha had given her when she graduated middle school and would use that as a disguise for both her personal item and as the flower needed. Thinking of something to bring she came across a patch given to her with the Shinwa school crest and decided it would work to appear she wanted to pass her Shinwa exams. Heading back outside she made her way back to Ariel’s home only to see her friend carrying a larger rice cooker and balancing a very heavy bag of ingredients.

“Ga Eul we need a rabbits’ foot. Jae Ha is letting us use his father’s old shed in his house for this. Could you go grab the black bag to the far right.”
“A foot?” Ga Eul asked feeling a little bit more than a little grossed out.

“What does your mom-”

“Yes. In the back Ga Eul in some sort of jar just try not to break it.”
“And hurry.” Ariel says taking Ga Eul’s items and heading across the street to Jae Ha’s place.

            Feeling like she’s going to gag Ga Eul realizes that this is all her fault but practically runs inside Ariel’s house (Careful not to be seen by Ariel’s mother) she runs into the room grabbing the first jar she sees with a black bag covered in tape and runs out trying not to panic. She runs to the old shed that is just as small as Ariel’s mother’s office only instead of being covered in weird herbs it’s covered in tools, has a small dusty table and a small television.

“Great. You’re here. Help me place the candles around the cooker.” Ariel speaks to Ga Eul.

“Is this even safe? And why are all the candles red?” Jae Ha questioned.

“Good health. We don’t want to pass out due to stress you know how hard exam weeks are.” Ariel lied nonchalantly. Had Ga Eul not known her friend she would have thought her a pathological liar but Ga Eul knew Ariel must have thought of everything to lie to Jae Ha in the few moments they had all been apart.

            Ga Eul watched Ariel light the candles around the cooker and place stones around.

“For a good balanced mind.” Ariel lied to Jae Ha before ordering him to plug in the rice cooker.

“Alright we need water.” Ariel spoke reaching for a gallon of water that looked to be a decade old and was even yellow.

“Seriously. You could have just brought some water from your house.” Ariel spoke to Jae Ha.

“It’s fine my father drinks this stuff sometimes.”
“You have to drink the potion too.”
“I’ll go get clean water.”
“Relax. We have to just wear it in a small vile like a good luck charm.” Ariel explained to Jae Ha before continuing.

“Eagle eye for wisdom, Lion tooth for…strength, deer eyes for…cuteness.”

            Had Ga Eul been in any other situation or if this was a sitcom she would have laughed at how ridiculous her friend was sounding by lying for her but for now she could only bite her lip and pray Jae Ha kept himself entertained by only snickering to hide his laughter and not figure out what type of potion they were doing.

“Mint leaves for… freshness. Rosemary for…”
“Whatever it’s for. Now the rest of the items. You go first Jae Ha.”
“I just brought this red rose from my moms garden. Let’s just hope she hasn’t noticed I picked it.”
“And my last exam just to guarantee that perfect score again.” He spoke tossing his items inside the pot.

“I brought white roses. They’re my favorite. And of course this music note for musicians they’re so.”
“Ariel.” Ga Eul panicked.

“I mean. I love the piano and hope to one day learn and if I pass this exam mother will get me piano lessons.”
“Your turn Ga Eul.” Ariel spoke trying to divert the attention from her.

“Daisies and the Shinwa patch.” She spoke softly, sincerely wishing she’d get her wish of her soulmate.

“Now the last ingredient a lucky rabbits foot.” Ariel spoke reaching for the jar that Ga Eul had placed on the table.
“That doesn’t look like a rabbits foot.” Jae Ha spoke a bit disgusted.

“It’s a whole rabbit.” Ariel exclaimed causing Ga Eul to gag.

“Why does your mother keep a dead rabbit.”
“She doesn’t.”
“There’s a woman who stops by each week to pick it up for some weird remedy she heard of for a longer life or something.” Ariel explained.

“She won’t be getting it this week.” She spoke with a mischievous smile.

“Wait. Let’s just take the foot.” Ga Eul spoke not wanting to get in trouble.

“You want to cut his foot off go ahead. I’m not touching it.” Ariel spoke.

“Jae Ha.”
“Your going to put the whole thing in?” Jae Ha questioned to Ariel.

“You cut the foot off then?” She spoke to him.

“I can’t handle dead things.” Jae ha spoke turning a little green.

Exchanging glances between one another both Ga Eul and Jae Ha knew this was a very bad idea but Jae Ha didn’t have to know this was her idea and not Ariel’s.

“I’m not cutting its foot off. I can’t even look at it. I’m tossing it in with the bag included.” Ariel spoke opening the large jar and letting the contents of it splash its way inside the rice cooker.

“Besides. If a rabbit foot is lucky a whole rabbit will make us golden.” Ariel explained.

“We have to wait an hour before this finishes then we can put it into small vyles to carry around for luck.” Ariel explained.

“Fine. Lets just go get ice cream.” Jae Ha spoke to them.

            They had all proceeded to leave and came back later after an hour of chatting and enjoying ice cream together. What they had not planned on was the stench that emitted from the shed as soon as they walked in. Ga Eul’s eyes stung from the smell and she knew she wasn’t the only one when both Jae Ha and Ariel were gagging.

“What the hell is that smell?” Jae Ha questioned trying to breathe.

“It smells like something died” Ariel spoke up with her hand to though the smell was so strong it was impossible not to smell.

“It’s that dead rabbit.” Jae Ha spoke leaning against the wall for support as he continued to gag.

“It’s a rabbit it shouldn’t- Ga Eul. There were two jars. One to the left the other to the right. Which one did you grab?” Ariel spoke gagging, tears running from her eyes from the smell.

“I. I don’t remember.” Ga Eul spoke. Though she was gagging and wanted to run if they didn’t turn the cooker off it would explode and the candles needed to be turned off. Heading towards it with a hand to she tried to blow out the candles but failed miserably afraid the stench would get in so instead Jae Ha did so.

“Ga Eul. Which jar did you?”
“Why does that matter lets just turn this crap off and never speak of this again.” Jae Ha spoke.

“Because” Ariel continued while Ga Eul tried to turn off the cooker first before unplugging it, her eyes were stinging so bad and she could hardly see, and by the way Jae Ha and Ariel bumped into each other trying to get out of the shed Ga Eul knew she wasn’t the only one with that problem.

“One was a rabbit. The other was a skunk.”
Horror filled Ga Eul’s eyes when she pressed the open button instead emitting the horrid smell to a hundredth power. Ariel screamed and Jae Ha began to gag running to Ga Eul and unplugging the cooker from the plug closing the lid himself though the damage had been done.

            The three made it outside but the smell followed after them as they lay on the grass gagging.

“Who has a skunk in their house?” Jae Ha questioned panting from disgust.

“It’s a remedy for acne. My mom makes for a guy that comes by every week.” Ariel spoke.

“How are we going to get the smell out?” Ga Eul panicked.

            Being punished that day was pretty bad. Ga Eul remembers being yelled at by her parents and she knows Jae Ha and Ariel were too, though Ariel’s mother was not upset her father had given her an earful by what Ariel had told her later on. The worse part of it all was the smell. Ga Eul remembers her parents, Jae Ha’s and Ariel’s parents making them bathe outside for three days straight in tomato juice.

“That’s something I regret. I’m never going to fall for any of this again.” Ga Eul spoke.

“What are you talking about?” Jae Ha asked walking over from across the street and helping the girls load the car.

“The potion.”
“Don’t remind me.” Jae Ha spoke scrunching his nose.

“I thought I would smell like skunk for the rest of my existence.” Jae Ha spoke.

“I still can’t believe our parents made us sleep outside for three days.” Ariel spoke.

“We gave you a tent.” Ariel’s mother spoke walking over to them.

“Besides. We couldn’t let you children in the house with that smell.”
“Playing with potions. Your lucky you didn’t do things correctly and mess up your futures by”
Whatever Mrs. Lee was planning on saying she quickly grew quiet and shook her head offering a smile.

“Not something you should know.” She told them.

“But what I can tell you is that things only work when you believe them wholeheartedly.” She spoke handing Ga Eul a blue charm.

“For wish making.” She told her.

            Just for a second Ga Eul thought about what she really wanted in life. True love, and happiness. Even if the world wouldn’t allow her to dream about perfection, part of her still wished to grab it. Offering a smile to Ariel’s mother she nodded and placed the small blue charm inside her pocket.

“Ga Eul. Breakfast.” Her mother called from inside and she then headed inside her home after giving both her friends a wave in goodbye. Just as she entered her door she received a message from Yi Jeong letting her know that he was picking her up soon. While her parents discussed their usual morning talk around her Ga Eul quietly ate her piece of toast and jam. She wasn’t at all hungry and wondered where exactly it was that she now stood with So Yi Jeong. They were definitely not dating anymore after all she said to him. Could they be friends?

            No matter which way Ga Eul thought about it the answer was inconclusive and she figured she would have to wait for whatever reaction Yi Jeong had today. Her mind was set that if at any moment Yi Jeong gave her that fake smile that could fool anyone but her, then she would definitely cut all ties with him. His confession from the past night in regards to loneliness made her sad thinking about it.

            There was no pity. In fact, why or how could she pity someone who had so much money. Loneliness was something that definitely knew no class and though Ga Eul may not have had the most money in the world never in her life had she felt lonely. For that Ga Eul was grateful.

“Ga Eul honey. Are you alright. You’ve hardly been sleeping or eating these past few days and your worrying me honey.”
Looking up from where she was sitting Ga Eul was surprised to only see her mother at the table.

“Where’s dad?”
“He left for work.” Her mother responded before raising a hand up to Ga Eul’s forehead to ensure that she was not sick.

“Is everything alright sweetheart?” Her mother questioned.

“I’m alright. Just a bit. Occupied with school.” Ga Eul answered giving her other a soft smile to reassure her that she was okay.

“Is someone at that school picking on you?”
“You didn’t bring home your bento box a few days ago and you haven’t been taking your Moped.”
“I’m alright really. I’ve gotten a ride. A friend is picking me up.”
“Alright sweetheart. Are you going to the festival tonight?”

“Yes. I volunteered to help Ariel and her mother.”
“Alright sweetheart. Have fun and call us if you’ll stay until the end of the festival.”
            With a smile Ga Eul nodded, quickly had her breakfast, and headed out the door. Thoughts of Yi Jeong only continuing when she saw his orange lotus car parked outside her house. What surprised her however was that Ariel was sitting inside his car talking to him. Smiling to herself Ga Eul couldn’t help but think how odd it looked. While Yi Jeong seemed to be someone who closed himself off entirely. Ariel was like an open book exuding with confidence. For a moment Ga Eul wondered if maybe Ariel should be the one to try and get Yi Jeong out of his shell. He certainly looked more than amused by whatever it was her friend was saying. When she was finally spotted Ariel exited Yi Jeong’s car and headed towards her.

“I’ll see you later at the festival with Yi Jeong, Ga Eul” Ariel spoke with a bright smile.

“You’ll be good for him. I can’t understand but. Anyways. My mom says you should…allow yourself to be open to pain if you want happiness.” Ariel spoke trying to remember her mothers’ words. Though Ga Eul couldn’t quite understand what her friend was saying she simply nodded.

“Anyways. Could you believe she’s making me wear a kimono with her this time, I somehow feel like she’s sending me off to marriage with the ways she insists on making me look ‘beyond beautiful,’ as she puts it.” Ariel spoke with an eye roll.

“Can you wait here. I want to be able to enjoy the festival in a normal way so would you mind taking spare clothes for me. Keep them in Yi Jeong’s car for me.” Ariel begged.

“Alright.” Ga Eul spoke to her friend before she ran inside her house and snuck back outside with a small bag.

“Thank you. See you later.” Ariel spoke before running back inside her house. Ga Eul turned to head to the car and found Yi Jeong opening the door for her.

“Your friend is. Very amusing.” Yi Jeong spoke with a smirk.

            Normally Ga Eul would defend her friend when it came to certain comments such as these but there seemed to be no malice in Yi Jeong’s voice if anything there was amusement and Ga Eul found herself smiling genuinely at Yi Jeong. Her worries of today somehow evaporating. Today there truly was no pressure to be anything than just herself either.

“Ariel is just Ariel.” Ga Eul spoke to him before Yi Jeong opened the car door for her.

“You don’t have to open the door for me anymore. Friends.”
“My brother taught me to always open doors for women and I do the same for Jan Di and Jae Kyung when Jun Pyo and Woo Bin aren’t around.” Yi Jeong clarified. Nodding, Ga Eul then went inside the car the soft click of the door was heard but she was quick to buckle her seat belt before Yi Jeong got inside doing the same himself and starting the car back up again. She watched him take a sip of his coffee and then he began to drive. By his posture Ga Eul could tell that he was struggling to feel comfortable and she wondered if what she had asked of him had been too much.

“Can a fake smile really protect someone so much?” She wondered to herself.

“Yi Jeong Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke quietly.

“I hope you don’t think of me as a rude person. Or that I’m rather” Biting her lips Ga Eul couldn’t seem to find the right word but as they came to a stop in the traffic light Yi Jeong turned to look at her in question.

“As what?” He asked.

“Well. What do you think of me?” She questioned a blush to her cheeks, wondering if she was being to forward or if what she was saying was coming out properly.

            For a long moment, Yi Jeong was quiet and seemed to be pondering her question.

“I.”
“I think your very. Innocent Ga Eul-yang.”
“Innocent?” Ga Eul questioned.

“Yes.” Yi Jeong spoke though he didn’t elaborate further when the traffic light switched for him to go. She could see him take a hand off the steering wheel as he drove and blindly search for what she realized was a brown paper bag.

“Would you like some Ga Eul-yang. It’s a croissant.”
“Ariel brought it for you I assume.” Ga Eul said with a smile.

“Her mother makes the best croissants.” She spoke.

“Would you life some?” Yi Jeong asked her.

“I’ve already had breakfast. Sunbae. You should eat something.” Ga Eul spoke.

~

            If there was ever a time where So Yi Jeong was confused. Then now would definitely be that time. He was unsure himself where Ga Eul and he stood. More so when she was ing pieces of bread at his face. There seemed to be a very innocent look on her face which told him she had no other underlying actions than to just simply feed him. Robotically, if not a little uncomfortably, Yi Jeong slowly opened his mouth and allowed Ga Eul to feed him. She offered a bright smile though there was a small blush on her cheeks as she looked away which told him that she had realized the intimacy in such a gesture. To say that he had been surprised at her was an understatement. There was something about this girl that he couldn’t quite figure out.

Where they friends? They certainly were not “dating” anymore.

            Yi Jeong always drew a line when his escapades with women ended but technically he and Ga Eul still had a total of ten more days if one did not count today.

“Sorry. I.” Ga Eul began
“It’s alright,” Yi Jeong interrupted her.

“I know it means nothing.” He said to her and she seemed to relax. Taking the croissant in his hand he simply placed it in his mouth to try to ease away some of the tension, though part of him felt ridiculous for doing so. Just for a moment he instinctively wanted to offer her a fake smile but stopped himself when her words the previous night kept appearing in his mind. He had never seen this girl angry and for such a silly thing was beyond him. Then again, no one had ever been angry for him. The expression on her face was strange to him as was her reaction. Yi Jeong wanted to ask Ga Eul more about it but part of him feared that the words pity come out of . Pity was some thing he could never take.

            They arrived to school soon after, and he wasn’t all that surprised to find the usual crowd of girls waiting for him.

“Ga Eul-yang. Wait.” He spoke to her getting out of the car first and then going around to open the car door for her. The last thing he needed was for someone to start something with her again.

“I won’t hold your hand if you don’t want me to. But just stay close by.” He said to her.

Yi Jeong could see a look of overwhelm cross Ga Eul’s features once more and he wanted to apologize to her sincerely.

“I can handle this.” She whispered to him entangling her arm to his and pulling herself closer once they began to walk. The crowd parted and Yi Jeong found himself relaxing it seemed this method worked a lot better than hand holding or throwing an arm around her waist or shoulder. Though there was still that nervous look in her eyes. It seemed small physical contact would be fine if he asked her first. For someone who was called a Casanova Yi Jeong seemed to become a blind idiot in front of Ga Eul-yang and he was unsure of what that meant.

            As soon as they entered the school building Ga Eul’s hold on Yi Jeong loosened and slowly she let go of him, though they still walked together at a close proximity. From a distance Yi Jeong could see his friends and he was relieved to note that Ji Hoo had finally made it to school. Everyone seemed to be having light conversation though Yi Jeong noted how quiet Ji Hoo was. Not that it wasn’t normal for Ji Hoo to remain silent but occasionally he would speak, though this time there was none of that.

“Hey Ga Eul.” Jan Di and Jae Kyung greeted her casually. It surprised Yi Jeong when Jae Kyung and Jan Di pulled Ga Eul toward them. Part of him wondered just what exactly had happened the day before when the girls had gone to the mall together though he assumed they got along great, the shy look Ga Eul wore told him she was yet to be fully comfortable around all of them.

Yi Jeong watched as Jae Kyung and Jan Di began to discuss their classes with Ga Eul who would occasionally speak and slowly a soft smile spread across her face that made Yi Jeong smile. His eyes caught Ga Eul’s and then he found himself looking away.

“Are you listening Yi Jeong.” Came the loud voice of Jun Pyo.

“What?”
“He asked if you finished the homework for English. We have that class next.” Woo Bin said to him.

“Yeah. Though I’m not sure if it’s right. English isn’t my best subject.”
“Whatever. At least it’s done. Give it to us.” Jun Pyo spoke though in the tone he spoke Yi Jeong realized he was trying to be unheard by Geum Jan Di and Yi Jeong smirked.

“Doesn’t Jan Di usually help you with your homework Goo Jun Pyo?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“Yes but she was unavailable because someone asked for her help.” Jun Pyo said. Shaking his head Yi Jeong handed Jun Pyo his assignment though he knew he himself had only gotten above a D-. English wasn’t his best subject as far as grammar and things of that nature. He could speak it just fine but the rest he usually copied of Ji Hoo and the latter had not attended school the past few days.

            Looking at his friend once more Yi Jeong was tempted to ask if he was alright though he knew the answer to that himself. The bell rang and he turned to Ga Eul who was simply waiting for him with her own books in hand. Walking towards her he simply escorted her to her first class.

“I really am sorry about all this Ga Eul- yang.”
“You don’t have to apologize anymore Sunbae. All I want is that you become sincere with yourself and nothing else should matter. If you can promise me that then I can forgive you for this small matter.” Ga Eul said to him before walking inside her classroom and leaving him filled with more questions as to who exactly Chu Ga Eul was.

            Classes seemed to pass by rather quickly and although he would have liked to ponder more on the subject which was Chu Ga Eul Yi Jeong was currently sitting besides a very quiet Yoon Ji Hoo.

“You can stop staring at me like a worried mother hen.” Ji Hoo spoke to Yi Jeong who offered a chuckle.

“Sorry.”
“You guys are worse than the girls today. I said I was fine.” Ji Hoo spoke to him.
“I’m not saying your not just. Don’t let this get you down anymore than it should.”
“I came to school didn’t I. I’ll be fine.” Ji Hoo spoke though the tension in his voice did not leave.

Yi Jeong realized that he could never and probably would never understand exactly what it was Ji Hoo was feeling at the moment. Had he ever felt something remotely similar to heartbreak. If finding out your girlfriend was a two-timing gold digger counted; then maybe, he had. But Yi Jeong supposed that maybe that wasn’t the best example nor the best way to show his friend some sympathy considering Ji Hoo had always been so in love with Seo Hyun since they were children.

“Any plans for today then?” Yi Jeong found himself asking his friend.

“Yes. The girls invited me out with them and unless I want them to drag me out of my house I better go with them. You know how Jan Di and Jae Kyung are. They drag Jun Pyo and Woo Bin by their leashes like a couple of ragdolls.” Ji Hoo spoke and Yi Jeong found himself smirking and shaking his head.

“Thanks for worrying, but as I said I’ll be fine.” Ji Hoo finally stated.

            From there on the subject was dropped. Yi Jeong wasn’t good at feelings anyway and he wasn’t willing to push Ji Hoo more than he wanted to be pushed. The girls would already try to get Ji Hoo to talk to them and Yi Jeong didn’t think he nor any of his friends (Girls’ included) could actually handle the painful emotions Ji Hoo was feeling at the moment.

            The day continued as expected. It seemed that his friends were walking on eggshells around Ji Hoo by the time lunch came, Yi Jeong wasn’t at all surprised to get a message from Ji Hoo that let everyone know that he was off somewhere in a corner taking a nap. From his own perspective Yi Jeong would have hated if everyone appeared to be hovering around him. Ji Hoo was by far the most reserved person other than himself, that he knew and Yi Jeong was going to back off. He himself had done or spoken too much already. Even if he wanted to be there for his friend he would have to wait like the rest.

“Ga Eul. Is this right?” Came the rambunctious voice of the Shinwa heir who was currently stuffing his face with Ga Eul’s lunchbox.

            It confused Yi Jeong how well his friends seemed to adjust to Ga Eul but the weird thing of it all was too see Goo Jun Pyo who only surrounded himself with F4 with a commoner. Not that anyone else had tried to broaden their friendly horizons. Though everyone else was usually civil Goo Jun Pyo was often rude and cold to anyone that did not include the girls or the rest of F4.

“Ya! Jun Pyo don’t hog Ga Eul.” Jan Di snapped at her boyfriend walking over to where Jun Pyo sat with Ga Eul.

“At least let her eat something. She needs strength to have patience with your stupidity.” Jan Di joked though she was met with a “Yah!” From Jun Pyo.

“It’s fine.” Ga Eul spoke offering a thank you to Jan Di who offered her a plate of cookies and a cup of tea.

“Her notes are pretty good. I think I’ll be able to pass the test for next period with an above average grade.” Woo Bin spoke to Yi Jeong while flipping through a stack of notebooks that were in the center of the table. Even Jae Kyung was quietly studying alongside Woo Bin silently copying notes.

“It’s great isn’t it?” Jan Di whispered to Yi Jeong going to sit next to him. While observing Jun Pyo and Ga Eul.

            Jun Pyo seemed to be asking Ga Eul a question while she offered a kind smile and continued to explain to Jun Pyo about physics.

“I love Jun Pyo.” Jan Di admitted taking Yi Jeong off guard. Though he was very aware that her friends were not only arranged to be married but in love. It was rare for either of the two to ever show it. Yi Jeong wasn’t sure why Jan Di was sharing this detail with him considering how he felt about that “emotion” he deemed non existent.

“But even I lose my patience with him sometimes when it comes to teaching him things.”

“I guess Ga Eul has the patience of a nun.” Jan Di joked.

“Aren’t you at all jealous of her?” Yi Jeong questioned watching the proximity which Jun Pyo and Ga Eul were sitting together. Both of them on one couch leaned close together with a notebook each in their lap. Their shoulders were touching as they spoke and Yi Jeong wondered why Ga Eul looked so relaxed next to Goo Jun Pyo but seemed to tense whenever he slightly touched her.

“Why would I be?” Jan Di spoke with a chuckle.

“Ga Eul is just helping him. She has no want for Jun Pyo and. I trust him.” Jan Di spoke with a look in her eyes that Yi Jeong could not comprehend.

“Besides. I believe Ga Eul is in love with a man named Jae Ha?” Jan Di spoke with a smile before patting Yi Jeong on the shoulder.

“How you tricked her to agree to this shenanigan with you is beyond me but. Thank you for giving us a new friend.” Jan Di said to him.

            It was that question that made Yi Jeong question everything he had done from the moment Chu Ga Eul quite literally blushed her way into his life. Just before lunch was over Ga Eul had walked over to him and reminded him of their plans to go to the festival. Yi Jeong refused to call it a date seeing as he and Ga Eul now stood on something that couldn’t quite be called a friendship and it most certainly was not a relationship. Whatever it was he was looking forward to spending time with Ga Eul. It would be a way to erase one of the horrible impressions he had left on his innocent country bumpkin. Yi Jeong would try to be himself as much as he could or at least give Ga Eul a chance to be herself and drag him along to whatever it was she wanted to do. By the end of the night he hoped they would end on good terms. Maybe then Yi Jeong wouldn’t feel so bad for the previous night which had ended their very short relationship. He had only ever been dumped once and he was still having a hard time getting over that sour taste in his mouth. With Ga Eul, he had also been dumped but figured what no one knew wouldn’t hurt his reputation. Her words to him that night however had hurt more than just his pride and he hoped to simply regain some face with her. If by tonight she still had a bad impression of him, then she could tell all of Korea what a bad person he was.

            By the time school had let out and Yi Jeong had driven himself and Ga Eul to the festival the streets seemed to be packed with people and it was hard to find a place to park his car.

“The festival usually starts mid afternoon. But the night part is the best.” Ga Eul spoke to him with excitement while they waited to cross the street and head to the festival. The smile on her face so genuine that it made Yi Jeong want to smile back at her.

“Over here!”

Hearing Jae Kyung’s voice Yi Jeong looked across the street and saw not only Jae Kyung but the rest of F4 and Geum Jan Di.

“Come on Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke starting to walk toward his friends.

            When they reached the other side Yi Jeong was surprised to see Ji Hoo there as well, standing behind the two couples; a sullen look in his eyes.

“What are you guys doing here?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“It’s a festival man. A commoner festival we were curious.” Woo Bin spoke throwing an arm around Yi Jeong.

“I want food.” Came Jun Pyo’s loud voice to Jan Di, the two starting to bicker.

“Ga Eul and Ariel invited us yesterday. They have a few carnival rides.” Jae Kyung spoke with excitement.

“Come on Prince Song. I want to go on all the rides.” Jae Kyung spoke with excitement.

“Calm down monkey.” Woo Bin joked.

“What’s with the bag Ga Eul?” Jan Di questioned Ga Eul who was carrying a black bag with her.

“It’s clothes for Ariel. She sent me a message earlier for us to go save her. She’s been helping her mother all day in their booth and she wants to come have some fun.” Ga Eul spoke.

“Great. Let’s go to her booth then. Her mother can give us a reading.” Jae Kyung spoke.

“A reading?” Woo Bin questioned.

“Ariel’s mom is a psychic.” Ga Eul explained.

            Yi Jeong would have expected his friends to say something about the subject especially Goo Jun Pyo who had no filter but instead he shrugged and muttered something about food again as they headed inside.

“We all brought cash right?” Jan Di questioned followed by yes.

“Some booths do accept credit card and they’re the company owned booths but the smaller ones only accept money. I think Shinwa has a booth here too.” Ga Eul spoke.

“Really?” Came Jun Pyo’ s surprised voice as they headed inside.

            Walking around the deeper they went Yi Jeong could see several small food establishments along with a few game booths here and there. There were children running from place to place, some holding on to small fish bags, others with stuffed animals. People walked along the crowd eating cotton candy, or holding a bag of popcorn. There was such a happy friendly banter going that his friends himself seemed to have been affected by it. Even Ji Hoo was smiling at the children that ran past him. Ga Eul was talking quite animatedly with his friends explaining to them all the booths that were around, what they served, what games and prizes some booths offered. It was the most Yi Jeong had seen her speak and yet there was a sensation of disappointment in the back of his mind as he saw himself surrounded by his friends.

            Finally, they came to a stop in front of a large booth with several red curtains covering around it. There was a sign written in front that read Psychic Predictions.

“Ji Hoo Sunbae would you mind ringing the small bell?” Ga Eul asked his friend who was closer to the booth. There was a small little bell that seemed to dangle at the front of the curtain and Ji Hoo simply pulled before a soft tinkered sound emitted that was too soft to be heard by the screams around them but the first curtain opened. To reveal a young girl dressed in a white and red kimono. The outside was embroidered with white stich flower patterns. There was red that was visible from the inside which made the kimono look more beautiful and a red lace in the middle. At first Yi Jeong had not realized that it was Ariel that stood in front of them. Her hair was held up in a styled side bun while a couple of red flowers were woven on the left side of her hair. Her makeup was light but definitely accentuated how pretty the girl was. Though Yi Jeong wondered why she was in a wedding Kimono.

“Konichiwa.” Ariel spoke bowing but once she looked up at them her face lit up with relief.

“Ga Eul. Thank god.” Ariel spoke trying to walk toward her friend and reach for her bag of clothes only to trip with the shoes she was wearing.

            Everyone watched as Ariel fell forward and into Ji Hoo’s arms.

“Sorry.” Ariel spoke, Yi Jeong finding it quite odd when he noticed for the first time since meeting the girl she actually looked embarrassed and a bit flustered. Yi Jeong wasn’t at all surprised at the cold emotionless look that Ji Hoo offered though Ariel was still clinging to him. Ji Hoo himself loosely held her and Yi Jeong knew he was waiting for Ariel to steady herself and let him go. Though if anyone passed by and looked at the two they would think something else. It was no time for jokes or to bring this sort of thing up given Ji Hoo’s recent feelings towards weddings but his friend who seemed to enjoy wearing white suits himself looked like a groom beside Ariel.

Click

            The flash and small click of a camera caused everyone to look away from the current scene and to see a woman that clearly resembled Ariel.

“Mother what are you doing with my camera.” Came Ariel’s voice. The girl immediately pushing herself away from Ji Hoo and stumbling towards her mother to grab her camera.

“Just having some fun dear.”

“Who’s next?” Ariel’s mother spoke.

“We are.” Jae Kyung and Jan Di spoke with excitement before they followed Ariel’s mother inside her small booth.

“Sorry about that Sempai.” Ariel spoke to Ji Hoo bowing at him politely though Ji Hoo remained quiet.

“I’m Ariel Lee. It’s a pleasure to meet you all.” She spoke to them.

            Yi Jeong could see that the girl was waiting for Ji Hoo to say something at least give his name and knowing his friend Yi Jeong spoke for him.

“Everyone this is Ariel. Ga Eul-yang’s friend.” Yi Jeong spoke offering the tight smile.

“These are my friends. Jun Pyo and Woo Bin.” He spoke pointing at his friends who simply offered a quiet hello at their names.

“And Ji Hoo.” He spoke to her.

“Konichiwa.” Ariel spoke again her greeting mimicked by both Jun Pyo and Woo Bin.

“Aria. Do you know where they sell good food here? Ga Eul says every place is good.” Jun Pyo spoke.

“It’s Ariel Goo Jun Pyo.” Yi Jeong scolded his friend who shrugged.

“She knows I’m talking to her.” Jun Pyo snapped at Yi Jeong.

“Stop being rude.” Woo Bin spoke to him.

“I’m not being rude!” Jun Pyo snapped.

“It’s fine.” Ariel spoke with a bright smile.

“How about fish cakes?” She questioned.

“Just let me go get changed I can’t keep walking around here looking so ridiculous.” Ariel muttered before pulling Ga Eul away with her.

“We’ll come back right away Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke to Yi Jeong before heading into the crowd with Ariel.

            Turning to his friends Yi Jeong watched as Woo Bin hit Jun Pyo in the head.

“That was rude.”

“Ya! I simply mispronounced her name. I wasn’t the only one that was rude! At least I wasn’t upset at a girl because she was in a wedding Kimono!” Jun Pyo snapped.

It hadn’t occurred to Yi Jeong that it had been the reason Ji Hoo had frozen in such a way but he supposed that it was reasonable given the current situation.

“Yah! Goo Jun Pyo! Why are you being so loud!” Came Geum Jan Di’s voice while she came out of the booth with Jae Kyung.

“It’ll be alright. Everything that happens is always for a reason.” Ariel’s mother spoke to Ji Hoo with a kind smile. When the woman turned to look at him Yi Jeong forced a smile and the woman simply nodded.

“You’re not quite ready to grow are you?” She asked Yi Jeong confusing him with her question.

“Allow innocence to touch your heart so that you may open up to new feelings. You are young.” She said to him.

“Erm. Sure.” Yi Jeong found himself awkwardly saying. The woman smiled at him then bowed to everyone.

“Thank you for coming.”
“We had fun Mrs. Lee.” Jan Di and Jae Kyung responded.

“Yi Jeong. Can you tell my daughter that she is free to play with you all for the rest of the night?” Mrs. Lee asked Yi Jeong who nodded politely before the woman left inside her booth.

            It was only when she was gone and after Ariel and Ga Eul had come back to them Ariel dressed in casual clothes that included a long sleeved white shirt, and a pair of jeans while her hair was let down and the make up gone that Yi Jeong realized he never told that woman his name.

“Let’s go buy some food! I want cotton candy.” Ariel spoke to Ga Eul who laced her arm with Ariel’s.
“Fish cakes first.” Jun Pyo spoke causing both girls to throw him a smile.

            They spent the first few hours playing carnival games. Though Yi Jeong participated with his friends he wasn’t really having fun. For the most part he spent walking in the back quietly with Ji Hoo while Ariel and Ga Eul were in the front walking together and playing games. Currently both girls were playing a ring tossing game which involved winning a small fish as a prize or winning a large pink stuffed dog as big as a person. Through out the night Yi Jeong had seen both Woo Bin and Jun Pyo win prizes for both Jae Kyung and Jan Di both girls arms containing several stuffed animals. For a moment he wondered if he should win something for Ga Eul; but dismissed the though quickly after having it. After all, this wasn’t a date and he was feeling a bit irritated with the fact that Ga Eul had not only ignored him the entire night but had invited his friends with them and spent all her time with Ariel.

“So much for redeeming myself.” Yi Jeong muttered to himself.

“Damn it I was so close!” Came Ariel’s voice.

“Sorry Ga Eul.” Ariel spoke to her friend.

“Oh well.” Ga Eul spoke though the look of disappointment was clearly written in her eyes.

“Let’s go to the Ferris wheel next!” Jae Kyung spoke with excitement.

“I want to go to the haunted house.” Woo Bin told his girlfriend. Before they could squabble Jan Di cut them both off.

“Fine but I want to see a few necklaces over there first. Come on” Jan Di spoke pulling her cousin by the arm and doing the same to both Ariel and Ga Eul.

“I’ll meet you guys at the Ferris Wheel then.” Yi Jeong spoke to Ji Hoo who nodded and followed Jun Pyo and Woo Bin.

            Yi Jeong stood in front of the game stall and part of him wondered once more if this was a good idea. He pondered what it could mean but immediately dismissed any thoughts that would deepen this and simply decided to use this as an opportunity to redeem himself. The look of disappointment in Ga Eul’s face made him realize that she had really wanted the stuffed bear. Handing the man some money Yi Jeong began to play. It was a simply game the trick was not missing any ring, in order to get a large prize, you needed at least to place nine rings inside the sticks the problem was you couldn’t miss. It took Yi Jeong a good five tries to get the damn bear it was disgustingly a cute soft pink, the nose was a darker shade of pink, the pupils were the same color, there was a soft pink lace tied around it’s neck, and its belly was white and in the center a large red heart. Ignoring that small detail Yi Jeong walked back to his friends he could see someone standing with Ga Eul and Ariel.

            The man Yi Jeong had met a few days back named Jae Ha was standing in front of Ga Eul while the two engaged in conversation. There was a girl that was clinging to his arm with a frown. The bear Yi Jeong was carrying somehow felt heavier as he approached and there was a look in Ga Eul’s eyes while she spoke to the guy that made it clear to Yi Jeong just how much Ga Eul adored this man calling him “Oppa”. Ga Eul was smiling rather bright and her posture was relaxed seeming to ignore the woman that stood next to Jae Ha at least until the woman finally interjected and offered Ga Eul a subtle glare that made her look away.

            From what Yi Jeong understood about Ga Eul, the past few days that he had known her it was that there was no ounce of malice in the girls’ system. Somehow his country bumpkin seemed other worldly and he knew that Ga Eul had simply been speaking with that man as she normally would have.

“Yi Jeong!” Came Ariel’s voice, startling Yi Jeong awake from his thoughts.

“Come on. You need to rescue your damsel in distress.” Ariel whispered to him once she reached him. She pulled him along towards his group of friends and towards Ga Eul.

“This is Ga Eul’s boyfriend. Yi Jeong.” Ariel spoke to Jae Ha and the girl standing next to him while shoving Yi Jeong in Ga Eul’s direction. Immediately at the mention of the word boyfriend Yi Jeong watched Ga Eul tense. His immediate reaction was to put on a smile but opted not to when Ga Eul’s words from the previous day circled his head.

“We’ve met.” Jae Ha spoke tensely.

“Hi I’m Melanie. Jae Ha’s girlfriend.” The woman standing next to Jae Ha spoke to Yi Jeong bowing to him. Yi Jeong simply doing the same.

“Let’s get on the Ferris Wheel shall we?” Jae Ha asked, though it seemed he was ignoring the girl beside him and talking to both Ga Eul and Ariel.

“Sorry but I’m scared of heights and all. I’ll just stay down here on the ground where it’s nice and safe.” Ariel spoke.

“And Ga Eul here is taking a ride already with Yi Jeong and the cute bear. You have fun with Muriel.”
“It’s Melanie”
“Tomato, Potato. It makes no difference.” Ariel shrugged causing his friends to snicker.

~ *~

            Gazing up at the night sky Ariel swung her legs back and forth while she sat at a nearby bench. Smiling to herself while looking up at the Ferris wheel she hoped that she had done a good job at finally tricking Ga Eul into going up there with Yi Jeong. Though Ariel knew nothing about romance or even when Ga Eul would find her soulmate she just hoped her friend could gain a new perspective on making more friends. Ariel like Yi Jeong and the rest of his friends. They were all so nice to her and it was rare that a person with an eccentric background found people that so willingly excepted her. She loved her mother dearly but there were times when things were difficult. Her only friends were Ga Eul and Jae Ha and she hoped to make new friends soon. Her mind thought of New York and unconsciously she reached for her camera.

“When am I going to meet you?” Ariel thought to herself.

“Where in New York are you?” She questioned silently watching the lights of the Ferris wheel complement the night sky that shined above her making the nigh beautiful. Just for a second she wished she still had on the Kimono which now would complement the night into something peaceful.

            The soft sound of something being put beside her made her look up and she saw one of Yi Jeong’s friends standing there. There was a pair of red silk ballerina flats. There was nothing special about them but the red color reminded her of red lace.

“You’ve been walking around this place in socks.” He spoke to her. Though Ariel realized this man was more speaking through her than to her. Looking down at her feet she could see how dirty her white socks were. Her mother would probably kill her for forgetting to bring shoes but she wasn’t about to walk around in those large old heels that made her walk like a snail. The festival would close by the time she reached the cotton candy booth.

“Thank you.” She spoke to him. Though he said nothing and simply sat next to her looking ahead. His hair was a light brown color, his eyes large, his jawline defined. By anyone’s standards this man sitting beside her was handsome and the looks and giggles he received by passing girls around them only confirmed it. He looked so tense and almost robotic the way he sat beside her so rigid. Ariel wondered if this man was even breathing. It was a flicker only but she caught the pain in his eyes. There was grief, loneliness, heartbreak.

            Ariel was no idiot, she knew of this man and who his family was. She could understand where some of his pain came from, but heartbreak was a topic and emotion she was foreign with.

“Why didn’t you ride the Ferris wheel?” She questioned him.

“You didn’t either.” He spoke back after a few minutes, though he did not look at her and simply kept looking forward.

“I’m afraid of heights.” She spoke to him.

“And I wanted to give Ga Eul and Yi Jeong some time alone.” Ariel said to him offering a bright smile that she knew he could not see with him looking forward.

“You’ve been sulking all day.” She spoke to him causing him to finally look at her. With a kind smile she proceeded to take her socks off and put on the shoes he’d purchased for her no doubt from one of the many stalls there.

“It’s alright to feel upset, and heartbroken. But fate has many different plans than the ones we make in the beginning. Life is about more than happiness. If things were always perfect and there are never things like heartbreak, then would we really find true love?” She questioned. Reaching inside her pocket she took out a red charm necklace that her mother asked she carry for the day to give to someone who needs it.

“I don’t believe in these things.” Ji Hoo spoke pushing Ariel’s hands away when she tried to place the charm around his neck.

“Neither do I but. You gave me these shoes so it’s a way to repay you.” She spoke to him placing it around his neck though Ji Hoo looked away a look of annoyance in his eyes. Ariel was use to those looks but somehow as this man did this she realized there was no actual hate or annoyance in his action if anything it was more like watching a wounded animal try to protect itself from another hit.

Smiling at him she stood up.

“Come on. They should be down soon. I’ll buy you a cookie.”
“I’m not a child.” Ji Hoo said to her.

“No but. I want to be friends.” She spoke to him with a bright smile. Ji Hoo gave her no emotion though she was okay with that; she was determined to not only make this man her friend but to help him get over this heartbreak and make him smile again.

~

            The awkward silence that was in the air felt familiar to Ga Eul. The other times there had been pressure of a two-week relationship that had ended the day prior but now she had put herself in a pinch because of her actions earlier. She had known Jae Ha would be there but for that night she had almost forgotten about her crush with all the fun she had with her friends. The term felt strange to her because she had only known Yi Jeong and his friends for the past few days. They were accepting and kind. She had certainly learned by interacting with Yi Jeong’s friends that they weren’t bad people and if Yi Jeong was with them he couldn’t be bad either could he?

            For a moment, Ga Eul wondered where she stood with So Yi Jeong now once more only to remember the way Ariel had introduced him to Melanie.

“I’m sorry about Ariel Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke quietly.

“I haven’t told her that we broke up.”
“It’s fine.” Yi Jeong spoke to her offering a soft smile. This time Ga Eul noted it wasn’t forced and yet not a true smile either. It didn’t bother her however because this situation in deed was awkward.

“Ariel just doesn’t like Jae Ha’s girlfriends. But in all honestly I think it’s a sister thing with her.” Ga Eul concluded.

“How so?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“Ariel is very protective of both Jae Ha and I and I suppose all three of us are that way. With one another. Ariel calls us the skunk crew.”
At her words Ga Eul heard a low laugh that made her look at Yi Jeong with a smile.

“The Skunk Crew?” He questioned causing her to blush at the memory.

“It’s a long story but. We’ve gotten into some trouble together involving a skunk.” Ga Eul spoke to him causing Yi Jeong to chuckle.

“Well. I suppose friendship does those things. My friends and I don’t have funny stories though I suppose we did cause trouble when we were younger.” Yi Jeong spoke.

            They had been slowly going up the Ferris wheel, their view of the entire festival slowly becoming visible before the ride stopped at the top for a few minutes.

“Can I speak honestly Ga Eul-yang?” Yi Jeong questioned Ga Eul who nodded.

“Not many men appreciate a girl like you. If I’m honest I’m at the top of that list.”
“But. Your friend. He’s spent most of his time with you and still has not seen what I have these past few days.”
“You deserve better Ga Eul-yang. Better than a man such as myself and better than your friend who only see’s you as just that. If a man can appreciate you and center his world around you like you’re the moon and the stars then you’ve found the right man.” Yi Jeong spoke to her.

            Listening to Yi Jeong’s words Ga Eul would have though that she would have been hurt to hear Yi Jeong tell her that Jae Ha did not love her. However, the words spoken afterward made Ga Eul realize that Yi Jeong was right. It was hard for her to fathom that such words like being someone’s moon and the stars had come out of this mans mouth. It made Ga Eul smile when she realized So Yi Jeong was indeed something else. It warmed her heart to know that he was being honest with her.

“Besides.” Yi Jeong continued.

“Who dates a woman named Muriel?”
“Sunbae” Ga Eul spoke unable to stop her own laughter.

“Her name is Melanie.”

“Tomato, Potato.” Yi Jeong joked repeating Ariel’s words from before causing Ga Eul to laugh once again, Yi Jeong joining her. The atmosphere quickly changing and lifting.

“Ga Eul- yang.” Yi Jeong spoke to her quietly.

“Yes Sunbae.”
“This is for you.” Yi Jeong spoke pushing the large pink bear that he had brought on the ride with them.

            Every year, Ga Eul would always try to win a large prize at the ring toss. The man who had the booth always had the cutest stuffed animals but every year when Jae Ha, Ariel and Ga Eul would try to win at the ring toss they would end up with several fishes instead that would be left at a pet shop the next day.

“How many tries did it take you? I usually end up with ten fishes and my mother has made me give them away every year after my cat Cinnamon ate an entire three fishes a few years back.” Ga Eul tells him taking the large bear and placing it on her lap with no room to actually set it down it was a wonder that Yi Jeong managed to place it inside with them.

“I’d tell you only one try but it took me a couple tries. I gave the fish to the children that passed by.” Yi Jeong spoke and Ga Eul offered him a smile while the Ferris Wheel began to come down.

“Thank you Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke when they came back down. Their friends all waiting for them including Ariel who was quietly standing beside Ji Hoo.

“Let’s go get some cookies.” Ariel spoke to her though she turned to pull Ji Hoo with her leaving the rest of their friends to follow and Ga Eul to stay beside Yi Jeong.

            By the time the festival was about to close, they all ended up having dinner at a small noodle stall. Ga Eul was quite surprised at the fact that everyone had seemed to enjoy themselves. Though throughout the night Ga Eul had noticed how quiet and isolated Ji Hoo had been he was now sitting beside Ariel while he ate and she too did the same talking to Ji Hoo about New York and photography. Ga Eul had thought that Ji Hoo was completely ignoring Ariel but whenever Ariel took pauses daydreaming about her passion in photography Ji Hoo seemed to briefly stop to observe her. It wasn’t noticeable but Ga Eul had caught it. Had she been blinking at the time maybe she wouldn’t have. She wasn’t quite sure entirely what was going on with Ji Hoo but knew Ji Hoo to be the kindest of the F4 and knew he wouldn’t intentionally hurt her bubbly friend. Ariel was good at reading people and Ga Eul knew her friend was more than happy chatting away even if she did not get a reply.

“It’s getting pretty late. This place is about to close. We should all head home.” Jan Di spoke up to everyone gathering her stuffed animals up.

“I need to get more fish cakes.” Jun Pyo spoke.

“Ya! You ate over a dozen! You’ll get fat!”
“I already ordered them! I just need to pick them up!” Jun Pyo snapped back at Jan Di.

            On the other side of the spectrum Ga Eul watched Woo Bin slowly wake Jae Kyung up who had tired herself out after getting on all the rides, eating and playing games.

“Come on Monkey. Let’s get you home.”
“But I want rainbow popcorn. I haven’t tried that yet Prince Song” Jae Kyung muttered sleepily.

“I bought some for you already while you slept on Jan Di’s shoulder. Come one if we’re late past your curfew again your old man will kill me.” Woo Bin spoke to Jae Kyung throwing an arm around the girl’s shoulder and carrying a large bag of stuffed animals and rainbow popcorn in the other.

“I should go help my parents clean up. I’ll see you all later.” Ariel spoke standing up from her place a few goodbyes were spoken and then Ga Eul was left alone with Yi Jeong.

“I had fun tonight Sunbae. Thank you for the bear.”
“Your not letting me give you a ride home?”

“I usually stay to help Ariel and her parents clean up. They always drive me home with Jae Ha.” Ga Eul spoke.

From a distance Ga Eul could see Jae Ha walking back inside the now empty festival after leaving his girlfriend back home though the look he had on his face told her he had broken things of with this girl.

“Alright Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong spoke to her with a sigh.

“Can we do this again. Just the two of us next time?” He questioned.

“I don’t under-”

“This was fun but. I want to redeem myself Ga Eul-yang. It doesn’t have to be a date and you can pick the place again if you like. But I would like your  bad impression of me to be forgotten.”
“It’s forgotten.” Ga Eul responded to him with a smile while she clutched the large bear to her tightly. The Bear so large it seemed to be as tall as she was.

“But okay. Can I think about the place and give you an answer tomorrow?” Ga Eul questioned just as Jae Ha came to stand next to her.

“Alright Ga Eul-yang. I’ll come pick you up tomorrow morning at your house again.”
“Alright Sunbae. Goodnight.”
“Goodnight Ga Eul-yang” Yi Jeong spoke before heading towards the exit.

Clutching on to her bear Ga Eul smiled. Her question as to what Yi Jeong was now pretty clear. A friend.

***

Thank you guys for reading! I hope you guys liked reading a little bit more on Ariel. But just a little side note hear you won’t hear from her for a little while longer. This story is SoEul. But side stories are always great aren’t they? Please let me know what you think so far.