Chapter 22: First Goodbyes

Vulnerable Heart

{Y.J}

 

Preparations were being done for both he and Ariel to leave. Yi Jeong was sad to leave but at the same time he was glad to go away. Keeping a promise not only to himself but to Ga Eul was important. Hearing someone walk out through the living room and towards the kitchen caused Yi Jeong to sigh. Sitting up from his own bed he headed to the kitchen.

“Can’t sleep?” Yi Jeong questioned Ariel.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered, the tea pot was on the stove, heating water up while she sat on the kitchen counted, dark circles under her eyes.

“Wasn’t your prom tonight?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“I didn’t have a date.’ She spoke quietly.

“Besides,” She shrugged.

“I’m not interested in going to a dance where half the people hate me and the other half are afraid of me.”
“Dances are stupid.” Ariel muttered.

 

“Is that really what’s on your mind?” Yi Jeong questioned going to sit beside her.

“Not really.” She whispered.

“Look, I don’t know what’s going on with you and Ji Hoo because this is what it’s about isn’t it?”

Yi Jeong could see the look of pain in Ariel’s eyes while she looked away, fighting back tears. Yi Jeong felt bad for her.

“Is it that obvious?” She questioned causing Yi Jeong to chuckle.

“Yes.”
“You shouldn’t worry too much about Seo Hyun. She’s a married woman.” Yi Jeong spoke, trying to comfort Ariel.

“That maybe but… It doesn’t matter. I’m leaving anyway right?” She spoke wiping at her tears.

“You don’t want to leave without telling him how you feel. You’ll regret it. And regret is something that you don’t want to have when it comes to telling someone your feelings.” Yi Jeong spoke to her.

 

“It won’t matter. My feelings don’t count when I know Ji Hoo sempai loves Seo Hyun.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that.” Yi Jeong thought to himself.

“I’m happy just being friends.” Ariel spoke though Yi Jeong knew she was trying to convince herself and not him.

The sound of the pot whistling alerted Ariel who turned off the stove.

“Tea?” She questioned Yi Jeong who nodded.

“How are you dealing with leaving?” She questioned pouring tea for Yi Jeong.

“I’m happy to go. This is a good opportunity.”
“And Ga Eul?”
“I’ll miss her. That’s what makes me sad. But we need time apart. I need to leave here.” Yi Jeong admitted.

“It has nothing to do with you or Aunt and Uncle.” Yi Jeong spoke quickly not wanting to offend Ariel.

“I know. You wouldn’t sill be living here and sleeping on a sofa bed if you hated being here.”

“Of course… It helps when you have Ga Eul as your neighbor right?” Ariel spoke cheekily causing Yi Jeong to chuckle.

“But as I said. I know what you mean. I want to leave too. I want to discover other parts of myself, I want to know what it’s like to be on my own, start fresh, make new friends. Maybe find love again.” Ariel spoke wistfully.

“That doesn’t mean I want to leave my parents behind or that I want to forget about my parents. And I know that you love Ga Eul and you want to come back to her.”
“Just make sure that when you come back. You make her really happy.”

 

 

Taking a sip of her tea Ariel sighed.

“What?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“Nothing. Just that, I’m really going to miss Korea. I only lived here for a few years and I never really thought this was going to be my home or that I’d make such great friends like I have.”
There was nothing Yi Jeong could say to that. Ariel was right. While he himself had lived in Korea his entire life, he hadn’t really had a home. Sure, he had friends but he’d gained a family that he hadn’t known he had, but he’d always wanted. The best part of it all was Ga Eul.

Walking away wouldn’t be easy but this wasn’t a good bye forever, it was a see you later.

 

For now, Yi Jeong wasn’t going to think too much of it now since there were still a few weeks left before they parted and he wasn’t going to waste any time.

“Making plans for romance?” Ariel questioned with a giggle more so when Yi Jeong expressed surprise having no idea how exactly Ariel knew what he was thinking.

“Just leave tomorrow night to Jae Ha and I we’ve got plans with Ga Eul. It’s our final goodbyes as a trio.” Ariel spoke offering a bright smile to Yi Jeong.

 

{G}
 

Saturday mornings were comfortable for her. Ga Eul would usually sleep in until early afternoon followed by a lazy breakfast consisting of eggs, fresh toast and a warm cup of tea or coffee. Today was no exception for Ga Eul. The past few months to say the least had been hectic and nothing had been more peaceful than today. Finding herself still in her pink pajamas and bunny slippers Ga Eul sat at her kitchen table. Her father had gone fishing with Ariel’s father as they did once a month or so and her mother. She was once again off to market to purchase fresh fish for their dinner.

 

Sighing Ga Eul could still felt sleepy. However, in a few hours it would be time to head out. She’d made plans with Jae Ha and Ariel to spend time together. While they spent most weekends together, spending lazy afternoons lying out in front of one of their houses eating ice cream or at each other’s homes watching movies. There were occasional trips to the mall together and more things they enjoyed doing as friends. There were still a few weeks until Ariel left but Ga Eul realized that now the three of them spent a lot less time together. Lately it was usually Ga Eul and Jae Ha or Ga Eul and Ariel and of course Jae Ha and Ariel. Now it seemed like everyone did their own things. Ga Eul was always busy with Yi Jeong and Ariel was usually off with Ji Hoo, though the past few days her friend seemed to lock herself in her room and not talk to anyone. While Ariel and Jae Ha saw each other at school often, Jae Ha seemed to spend most of his time with Luna or playing basketball with a few friends.

 

In the end, Ga Eul came to the conclusion that they were all pretty busy more or less having a love life. Ga Eul wasn’t so sure about Jae Ha and Luna but she had noted that they’d gone to prom together and Luna did seem like she was love struck when she talked about Jae Ha. She hadn’t interacted with the girl enough to know her well but she seemed nice and she hoped Jae Ha could move on from her friend. Then of course, there was Ariel.

 

There wasn’t much that Ga Eul could do she and Yi Jeong had discussed their friends often enough but Yi Jeong had simply told Ga Eul to let them work it out. Hearing a knock at her door Ga Eul was surprised to hear someone at her door. She was sure Ariel was preparing to go out as was Jae Ha, placing her empty plates inside the sink she headed to the door surprised to see Yi Jeong and blushing when she realized he was looking at her pink bunny slippers.

“Cute.” Yi Jeong spoke offering Ga Eul a smile which caused her blush to deepen.

“Yi Jeong Sempai.”
“Ariel mentioned you had an outing today with her and Jae Ha. She asked that I not make any plans for tonight. I thought I’d stop by this afternoon. But I think I’m imposing” He spoke grabbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

 

“It’s fine. I... I just finished having breakfast.” Ga Eul admitted quietly.

“I can see that.” Yi Jeong spoke reaching to wipe away a few bread crumbs Ga Eul had at the corner of her lips.

“Thanks.” Ga Eul replied softly reaching to wipe away anything that still remained on feeling silly as her heart pounded.

“I was just about to prepare a few things for tonight then I was going to get ready.” Ga Eul admitted.

“Do you mind if I help then?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“Sure. If you don’t mind cutting fruit.” Ga Eul spoke to Yi Jeong who simply nodded and offered Ga Eul a smile.

 

It was how she and Yi Jeong found themselves in the kitchen pealing fruit and cutting. Of course Ga Eul could easily cut the skin of the pear. Yi Jeong on the other hand… was a mess with a knife Ga Eul was afraid he would cut himself.

“It’s not that bad is it?” Yi Jeong questioned Ga Eul, but when looking at the how even Ga Eul’s cuts were and how messy and oddly shaped his were Yi Jeong found himself chuckling.

“Yes it is.” He spoke.

“It’s fine.” Ga Eul spoke.

“I’m more concerned with how you hold a knife, you’re going to cut yourself.” Ga Eul spoke to him.

“It’ll be fine.” Yi Jeong spoke.

 

Nodding Ga Eul began to place the freshly cut fruit into some Tupperware.

“Ouch” Hearing Yi Jeong Ga Eul immediately jumped startled but proceeded to quickly look at Yi Jeong’s hand.

“Are you okay?” She questioned though as she looked carefully there was no blood. It took a moment for her to realize that Yi Jeong had most definitely played a prank on her.

“Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke only to have Yi Jeong smile at her chuckling to himself. Ga Eul watched as Yi Jeong simply grabbed a freshly washed grape and simply tossed it into his mouth. Ga Eul was still holding on to his hand when Yi Jeong moved close to her, whispering in her ear.

“Gotcha” He spoke pressing a kiss to Ga Eul’s cheek and winking at her leaving her with butterflies in her stomach, a blush to her cheeks and a smile on her lips.

“I’ll see you later Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong spoke just in time for Ga Eul’s mother to walk into the kitchen, bowing to her on his way out.

 

Trying to get herself together Ga Eul simply turned back to what she was doing continuing to prepare a basket for tonight. Ga Eul could hear her mother in the kitchen now unloading her bags and placing things inside the fridge thought for the longest time neither said anything. Ga Eul was unsure of what to say. She was still trying to control her racing heart and calm herself down.

“You two shouldn’t be here alone.” Her mother spoke quietly.

 

Hearing her mother Ga Eul bit her bottom lip nervously. Her mother hadn’t been so vocal about Yi Jeong before. Though she was sure to some extent her mother accepted him. Though it was obvious to her she wasn’t too happy about it.

“I’m sorry. We didn’t do anything… we were just… cutting fruit.” Ga Eul spoke honestly.

“How are things. You seem a lot happier.”
“I am.” Ga Eul spoke.

“I heard he’s going away soon.” Her mother spoke. Though Ga Eul was aware of it, and she was sad about it, she tried not to think too much on it.

“Yes. But… it’s what he wants. It’s for his benefit I’m not going to hold him back besides.” Ga Eul continued feeling a blush to her cheeks.

“We promised to wait for each other.”

 

For a moment, silence lingered between them and then her mother spoke.
“At least he doesn’t own a motorcycle.” She spoke causing Ga Eul to smile brightly at her.

“No but he does own a fancy orange car.” Ga Eul laughed.

“Still at least it’s not a motorcycle your father would never allow that.”
“I own a moped.” Ga Eul spoke to her mother who smiled.

“Yes well at least he doesn’t own a motorcycle.”
“Yi Jeong Sunbae leaves that to Ji Hoo Sunbae” Ga Eul spoke.

“Let’s let Ariel’s mother worry about that.” Her mother spoke causing Ga Eul to laugh.

“Ji Hoo Sunbae is the nicest guy there is having a motorcycle doesn’t mean you’re a bad boy.” Ga Eul spoke.

“Boys are trouble no matter what.” Her mother spoke.

“Maybe.” Ga Eul nodded agreeing with her mother.

“Don’t think I didn’t see that kiss.” Her mother spoke to Ga Eul who blushed but otherwise said nothing.

 

{A}

 

Ariel wasn’t feeling up to much. For the first time in her life she didn’t want to pretend like things were okay or that she was feeling alright. The truth was, she wasn’t okay. Heartbreak . Today however, she would try to push those feelings away.

 

It would be one of the last times she would spend with her two best friends. She’d already began to make preparations and her mother had helped her look for a pension where she could stay at off campus. It was cheaper than living in school and would only be a few minutes away from where she was supposed to go.

“Live a little. This is where your future begins.” Her mother spoke to her with excitement.

 

It wasn’t to say that Ariel wasn’t happy. Photography was her number one priority and she was looking forward to new things but that didn’t mean she wasn’t sad when it came to Ji Hoo.

“Do you have everything Sweetheart?” Her mother questioned.

“Yes. Ariel spoke placing things inside a large basket.

Hearing her phone ding Ariel felt her heart race, nervously she glanced at her phone screen hoping it wasn’t Ji Hoo and feeling relief when it was Jae Ha letting her know they would be leaving in five minutes.

 

Ever since, their encounter at the mall and even before that he’d texted her multiple times asking how she was, if she’d gotten home safe. Ariel tried to keep herself casual answering the same way she always did but now, she wasn’t feeling up to talking to him. There last conversation via text consisted of him asking if she was doing anything this weekend. She’d been in the middle of a crying session and simply answered with curt yes.

 

Grabbing her coat, the basket and a neatly folded blanket Ariel headed out of her house. Simply giving her mother a good bye on her way out. Not looking where she was going Ariel stumbled back as soon as she took a few steps outside her door only to be caught by an arm around her waist and being pulled into someone’s chest.

“Sorry”
“Are you alright” They both spoke at the same time.

 

Upon hearing Ji Hoo’s voice Ariel immediately looked up.

“Ji Hoo sempai. What are you doing here?” She questioned quietly.

“I want to talk.” He spoke to her.

“I..”
The sound of a car horn interrupted them and Ariel moved away from Ji Hoo when Jae Ha waved from his truck. Ga Eul herself was getting into the car.

“Sorry. I can’t right now.”

“Just a few minutes.” Ji Hoo spoke but another honk erupted.

“I’m sorry. I really can’t right now.”

“I’ll see you later. I really am sorry.” Ariel spoke heading towards Jae Ha’s car trying not to look back at Ji Hoo.

 

Neither Ga Eul not Jae Ha asked any questions and Ariel was glad for that. There was so much going on in her mind. Her heart felt like it had shrunken in size and there was a feeling of pain that was refusing to leave. Feeling a few stray tears from her eyes Ariel quickly wiped them away feeling pathetic. It was only Ga Eul who sat beside her in the car that took her and.

“It’ll be alright.” Ga Eul whispered to Ariel throwing an arm around her in order to hug her. Offering Ga Eul a smile she reminded herself that today was about her friendships with both Ga Eul and Jae Ha.

 

Quietly Jae Ha the radio the song DNA by BTS came on and quietly Jae Ha began to whistle knowing that Ariel really loved to sing and loved BTS. Smiling Ga Eul followed and pretty soon Ariel smiled once again genuinely. Before long she was singing along with her friends while they made their way to the beach.

 

When they arrived Ariel found herself smiling. There was such a beautiful scene to be looked at. Night had fallen the ocean seemed to know that too because the waves had calmed to a soft rocking motion. The sky was lit only by the stars and the beautiful moon which reflected down into the water.

 

Closing her eyes Ariel felt a sense of calm as the smell and taste of the ocean his her. The soft breeze carrying with it the scent of the ocean which Ariel had not felt in a long time. Taking her shoes off she let her feet feel the sand. Grabbing her camera Ariel took a shot of the ocean embedding this memory in her mind, and heart as well.

 

“It’s beautiful out here isn’t it?” She asked Jae Ha who had come to stand beside her. He offered her a smile and nodded patting her head playfully.

“Come on let’s go set things up.” Jae Ha spoke to Ariel before they both moved to help Ga Eul Both girls began to take out the contents of their own baskets. Ariel had prepared some chicken, rice balls and of course some drinks and a few snacks. Jae Ha began to prepare the fire.

 

It took a few minutes but before long they were looking at a bright red flame which slowly began warming them up.

“You know.” Jae Ha began as they began to eat quietly.

“We’ve been friends for a really long time. But I think we had the most fun camping outside together after that skunk incident.” Jae Ha spoke causing both Ariel and Ga Eul to laugh.

“Of course we did. We stayed up all night watching movies and messing around.” Ariel spoke.

“The tomato baths weren’t fun though.” Ga Eul spoke, Jae Ha and Ariel agreeing with her.

 

They continued to speak through out the night, remembering times of laughter and fun, times that were spent together making great memories. The night continued to progress with all three friends. Ariel was determined to stay up just so they could see the sunrise. Ga Eul had already fallen asleep leaving Jae Ha and Ariel by themselves.

“You’ll be alright on your own won’t you?” Jae Ha questioned Ariel who offered him a smile.

“Of course I will. I know you and Ga Eul worry about me because of everything that’s happened but. I’ll be fine. New York is a new adventure.”
“What about… that Ji Hoo guy?” Jae Ha questioned, hesitation in his voice.

 

“I don’t know.”
“He came to look for you today. That means something.” Jae Ha said to her.

“It doesn’t matter. I’m leaving I think that all we can be is friends.”
“I know you don’t mean that. I’ve never seen you like this with anyone.” Jae Ha spoke causing Ariel to laugh.

“That’s because no one really gives me the time of day. Aside from you and the F4 guys, you’re my only guy friends and as I said just friends what guy has ever looked at me and said I want to date her or I’m in love with her. Everyone looks at me like I’m some sort off… It doesn’t matter... My point is no one has ever looked at me romantically.”

 

For a moment, Jae Ha was silent pondering what to say and then he took hold of Ariel’s hand, surprise was instantly written on her face.

“What?” She questioned with a bright smile.

“You’re a great girl Ariel and if he can’t see that then he’s an idiot who doesn’t deserve you.”
“Thanks for saying that.”
“I mean it” Jae Ha spoke.

“Look Ariel… I know how you feel and I don’t expect you to reciprocate my feelings or…”
“Jae Ha.. what are you saying?”
“I like you.” He spoke to her.

 

His confession took her off guard. For the longest time Ariel wondered what to say. She didn’t want to hurt Jae Ha but realized her silence was speaking for her. Guilt became immediate for her when she realized she could not give him what he wanted. She could feel him slowly pull his hand away from hers but she didn’t want things to end this way. Taking hold of his hand tightly, she looked at their intertwine hands.

“Thank you.”
“For liking me… and I’m sorry.” She spoke tears in her eyes.

“You’re someone that I care about and that I never want to hurt intentionally. You’re there for me when things are hard and I can’t picture my life without you because you and Ga Eul are like family to me.”

“I really am sorry.” Ariel spoke tears her eyes once again.

 

Reaching up to wipe her tears away Jae Ha offered her a smile.

“You don’t have to apologize to me Ariel. I know feelings can’t be forced and love is something that you feel for someone or you don’t.” Jae Ha spoke.

“Don’t cry okay.”
“Will you promise me something?” Ariel spoke to Jae Ha who offered her a smile and nodded.

“Be happy okay. Find someone who will appreciate you. When I come back and see you I want to see you with the person that loves you most and whom you love most.”
“I don’t know when that’ll happen but I promise not to close myself off to a new opportunity.” Jae Ha promised.

 

They spent the rest of the night simply talking about what they hoped for themselves in the future watching as the sun rose up. Ga Eul whom had been pretending to sleep finally opened her eyes to see the sunset both girls leaning their heads on each of Jae Ha’s shoulders their arms tangled around each other. Just like that this was their silent goodbye….

Thank you guys for reading. I'm sorry if this chapter was short but I wanted to wrap up some loose ends and really give some time to this trios friendship. Only a few chapters left until the end and I was wondering if I should add the extra chapters here or create another story specifically for it. These will be one shots of each different character, with some scenes that occurred during vulnerable heart that are not in the main story and of course a glimpse into the future of all of F4 and the girls. POV's from the rest of F4 the main villain in this story etc... please let me know what you think.