Chapter 20 Uncertain Hearts

Vulnerable Heart

{G}

Six months had gone by and with it, time began to put things back into it’s original place. Before the chaos and the pain. When she and Yi Jeong were not speaking to each other but rather looking past one another, too concentrated on each other’s pain and yet worrying and missing one another. That time wasn’t too long ago but the wound that had been left in their heart had begun to fade. In Ga Eul’s case she felt as though her heart that had felt like a chaotic storm now had begun to settle.

 

Was their the occasional wave, of course. There was always that feeling. Ga Eul settled in her mind that it was part of falling in love. Time now seemed so slow when she was not beside that person and when she was with him, time passed in the blink of an eye. The ding of her phone announced that Yi Jeong was outside.

 

“Let’s go inside now Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke gently helping Yi Jeong up. His legs were shaking as he stood whether that from kneeling or from the cold Ga Eul wasn’t sure. At the moment all she cared about was getting Yi Jeong inside. She was aware that her Mr. and Mrs. Lee were both at the hospital with Yi Jeong’s parents and Ariel. For now, Ga Eul lead Yi Jeong to her house.

 

The light of the living room was still on. Her parents were nowhere in sight but there were some towels neatly folded and placed on the coffee table a long with a pair of clothes for Yi Jeong to change into which Ga Eul recognized as Jae Ha’s from so many sleepovers with him and Ariel. Laying a towel first on the couch Ga Eul then sat Yi Jeong down and proceeded to place a towel around his shoulders. Reaching gently to dry his hair.

 

For the longest of times there was silence between them. Ga Eul tried to focus on the task at hand. There wasn’t much she could say to Yi Jeong at this moment but she’d done what she could. Her heart was unsure of what to feel at the moment. While their kiss allowed her to resolve part of her feelings and come to the conclusion that he too loved her right now all she needed to care about was this moment alone.

 

Ga Eul was too lost in her thoughts as she continued to dry Yi Jeong’s hair to notice that he’d been looking at her. The look in his eyes gentle, at ease, even when there was pain which lingered in his eyes. Feeling arms wrap around her waist Ga Eul was startled her heart racing as Yi Jeong rested his head on her shoulder.

“Sunbae.”
“Ga Eul-yang.”
“You shouldn’t care for me so much.” Yi Jeong spoke, his voice soft.

“I shouldn’t be so selfish as to want to hold on to you forever.”

Ga Eul felt Yi Jeong lift his head and before long they were looking at one another once again. She felt unable to speak under Yi Jeong’s gaze and could only listen to him.

“Even so. Thank you Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong spoke reaching for a towel and placing it on Ga Eul’s shoulders drying her hair gently as he did so.

“You cared and believed in me when I didn’t believe in myself.” With those final words Yi Jeong pressed a kiss to Ga Eul’s forehead.

 

Ga Eul doesn’t remember much in fact, the didn’t really speak to each other. The television was on and Ga Eul remembers making tea for the two of them. There was nothing special on television but they sat together in silence. She doesn’t remember who fell asleep first only that when she woke up Yi Jeong was hugging her tightly as he slept and a blanket was placed over both of them. When she woke up again Yi Jeong was gone but he’d left her a thank you note and promised to pick her up to got to school later. It was a bit embarrassing, and it still made her heart flutter when she thought of the note which she still kept inside her nightstand drawer.

 

Smiling to herself and shaking her head Ga Eul headed out of her room. Her mother was busying herself in the kitchen quite early again. Her father, was reading the newspaper quietly and Ga Eul simply walked over to them and offered a kind smile to both her parents.

“I’m going to school now.” She spoke quietly. Her mother simply nodded handing her a piece of toast her father didn’t look up from his newspaper but Ga Eul was aware that he was hearing.

“When is he going to knock. He just waits outside by his car. Tell him to come to the door next time.” Her father spoke.

 

Smiling brightly Ga Eul walked over to her father and offered him a hug and a kiss. In response her father grunted. The past few months as far as her father, for the most part he did not say anything to her in regards to Yi Jeong. Ga Eul was well aware of the fact that Yi Jeong was not welcome at her house. Given his colorful past with women and of course the events that happened which involved her crying.

 

For the most part Ga Eul understood. Her father loved her very much and she loved him as well. However, she could not control whom she loved. That night under the rain in particular Ga Eul had made her choice. Yi Jeong. With that one kiss which they had shared, under that rainy sky seemed to wash all the bad away.

 

“Thank you.” Ga Eul spoke to her father, glass that he was giving Yi Jeong a chance. Walking out the door with a bright smile on her face Ga Eul saw Yi Jeong waiting outside beside his orange lotus car a genuine charming smile on his face.

“Ready Ga Eul-yang?” Yi Jeong asked opening the car door for her. With a bright smile Ga Eul nodded and got inside Yi Jeong’s car.

 

While they weren’t technically a couple nor had they kissed again since that time Ga Eul felt comfortable at the stage they were in. There was no need to rush and Yi Jeong was still trying to settle his into normalcy. Ga Eul was fine waiting because she was ware of Yi Jeong’s feelings.

 

{Y.J}

 

“Think about it.”
Emma’s words still lingered in his mind. The past six months had gone rather smoothly for Yi Jeong. His heart and his mind felt at ease. There was no longer chaos in his life. It was as if the rain that night had taken away all the troubles in his heart.

 

When it came to his relationship with Il Hyun things were a lot better. They spent time together now. They talked about their parents and Yi Jeong felt at ease with Il Hyun. Eun Jae became a subject that they didn’t talk about. They’d both apologized for it and moved on. There was no need to swell on something or someone that had hurt both of them. Then… there was their parents.

 

Thinking about both his mother and father still stressed Yi Jeong on occasion. However, Emma and his Aunt and Uncle both assured him there was nothing he could do. His mother wasn’t improving. Sadly, Yi Jeong had to deal with the fact that she might never get better. Nothing was set in stone but Yi Jeong knew not to get his hopes up. His father on the other hand was a completely different story.

 

When he’d come out of surgery both he and Il Hyun were at his side. His father had suffered burns all over his body, mainly his hands were the ones that were severely burned. There was a high possibility that he would lose the feel in both his hands and even if he didn’t it would be hard for him to feel much. His days as a potter were sadly over. When he’d woken from his coma he was lucky that there had not been any permanent damage to his brain. Then of course, was his legs. After surgery, only time would tell if he would be able to walk. His father would need therapy but while Yi Jeong felt pity for his father he did not feel obligated to stick by his side.

 

“This is something you’d both wanted isn’t it? To see me this way?” Mr. So weakly spoke to both Il Hyun and Yi Jeong.

“You two couldn’t wait for something like this to happen to your father!”
“Are you done?” Yi Jeong spoke coldly.

“You I hate more than him.” Mr. So shouted to Yi. Jeong. Even so, Yi Jeong kept calm.

“All our life you’ve been so selfish. We don’t blame you for everything because mother has a part in this as well. But you can’t blame us for this. It was you who drove her mad by cheating on her endlessly and showing no compassion to her when she became like this in the first place” Yi Jeong spoke.

“You’ve never cared for Yi Jeong and I. That is something we’ve both understood and yes. We’ve hated you for what you did to us and to our mother. But this is not our doing.” Il Hyun spoke.

“Until your better Uncle Lee will take over business. I don’t want anything to do with it, not at this time and I won’t ask Yi Jeong to put his life on hold to take over a job that neither of us asked for.”
“Do you plan on taking over?” Mr. So scoffed giving a condescending look to Il Hyun.

“You were always a mediocre artist and my greatest disappointment. At least Yi Jeong had talent”
“And what did you do with his talent? Did you not carelessly have someone hurt him because of your actions!” Il Hyun spoke angrily.

“Right now you want us to care for you! You want to blame us for what you’ve brought upon yourself but we won’t do this anymore. With you or with her.” Il Hyun spoke trembling with rage, tears threatening to fall from his eyes.

“Yi Jeong and I. We’ve never been loved by you or mother but we’ve always had each other and we’ll continue that way.”
“We can’t do this anymore.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“You and mother almost destroyed us and you only care for yourselves. You took us from a good home to use as as pawns in your disputes.”
“A good home?” Mr. So scoffed.

“What could a pauper and his wife offer you and that child of theirs. There is nothing they could have given you that we didn’t give you in triple or more.”
“This lifestyle that you’ve both had, the commodities it was all thanks to us. We gave you everything.”
“We would have preferred love over riches. Even if we were as poor as we would have been with them. We wouldn’t have lacked what we needed.”
“What is that?”
“Parents that loved and cared for us.” Yi Jeong spoke.

 

“So what now? Is this where you leave me and tell me that I’m on my own? I don’t need you two. I never have needed you.”
“No.” Il Hyun spoke.

“This is where we tell you that we’re not like you. We’ve already hired someone to take care of you. Someone who will take you to your therapies and every single appointment you’ll need in order to walk again. We’ll visit you but only when you ask us to come. We’ll come with you to therapies if you chose that” Il Hyun spoke.

“We’ll forgive you is you ask us that as well.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“We can forgive you and we can forgive her. But we can never see you as our father or her as our mother.”
“And they are your parents? Annabelle and Anderson.”
“They’re our family I care for them but they are and will always be Aunt and Uncle. I raised myself.” Il Hyun spoke.

“Mother, father, and brother has always been Il Hyun.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“You’ll always be our parents but never our mother and father.”

 

His father hadn’t asked him or Il Hyun to come see him. Yi Jeong understood his father was a prideful man. Even if he hated to admit it, he had hope that one day they could at least have closure with their father. He and Il Hyun didn’t dwell too much on that part of their life. Family to them was who they chose. That included F4 and for Il Hyun Jae Hee. The two had gotten a lot closer the past few months and Yi Jeong was sure something was going on between them. Yi Jeong could only be glad for him.

 

While he and his brother were still closer than ever before Yi Jeong preferred to like with his Aunt and Uncle. Il Hyun had asked him to move in to his place but Yi Jeong felt better living with is Aunt and Uncle. It was a taste of a life Yi Jeong had never experience. It was a home and a family. Il Hyun understood and settled for having Yi Jeong occasionally stay with him. Sometimes Il Hyun himself would stay over at his Aunt and Uncles place. The house was too small for five people but Yi Jeong was happy. Sunday dinners was something Yi Jeong was getting use to. Il Hyun would drop in during weekdays if he wasn’t too busy but Sundays were a silent rule they now had. Il Hyun seemed to take to Ariel quite well and often . Of course for Yi Jeong the best thing about living in a small crowded house was living beside his country bumpkin Ga Eul.

 

Ga Eul… Glancing at Ga Eul from across the room Yi Jeong smiled when their eyes met and Ga Eul offered him a shy smile. Currently, they were both inside the school F4 lounge. Ga Eul was helping Goo Jun Pyo cram for a few of the final tests. Graduation was just a month away and everyone was working hard to finish. It would be no problem for any of them to get into Shinwa University given their relationship with Jun Pyo even so grades needed to be kept and University was a different game.

 

Thinking about University caused Yi Jeong panic. While his grades were better than ever what Yi Jeong really wanted to continue to pursue as his career was pottery. His hand, had certainly gotten better with the therapy he’d received. However, there was nothing more that could be done here. Emma, his counselor had spoken to Yi Jeong about this. In the end, there was only one option. Sweden.

 

Not only could he further his studies in pottery but there was better therapy for his hand that would be provided. Yi Jeong wanted to go this would be good for him. However, as he looked at Ga Eul worries filled his heart. Things had been going so well between the two of them. He’d asked Ga Eul to wait for him. Yi Jeong felt that he’d already asked too much of Ga Eul and felt selfish once again. A promise to wait… it was easy when they were together even if they didn’t say it out loud they loved each other. They were together. But how could he ask her to wait for him again. Four years away. Would she wait?

 

“You okay?” Ji Hoo questioned going to stand beside Yi Jeong.

“Yeah.”
“How about you? Ariel got that scholarship to New York.” Yi Jeong spoke to his friend. The past few months is had become fairly obvious to everyone that Ji Hoo and Ariel liked each other. Whether they would admit that to one another was a whole different story.

 

Yi Jeong watched as Ji Hoo grew pensive for a moment; and then he smiled.

“Of course. She’s happy about it. It’s her dream why wouldn’t I be happy about it.”
Yi Jeong didn’t say anything mainly because they were both well aware of what Ariel’s mother had predicted. Ariel would meet her true love in New York. It seemed a bit ironic and sad that Ji Hoo would lose someone he loved once again. Even if he didn’t admit it, Yi Jeong knew JI Hoo was in love with her.

“She’s leaving soon. She decided to go for the summer.”
“I know.” Ji Hoo spoke.

 

“Yi Jeong do you mind if we borrow Ga Eul today?” Jae Kyung questioned from across the room earning Ga Eul’s attention once again.

“We’re going dress shopping for the last school dance.”
“I’m not going.” Ga Eul spoke quietly trying not to blush.

“Not going? Hasn’t Yi Jeong asked?” Jae Kyung spoke appalled.

“Have you?” Jan Di questioned Yi Jeong who tried to suppress his own blush.’
“Doesn’t matter. You’re going with him if you both agree nod.” Jae Kyung spoke. Hesitantly both Yi Jeong nodded while everyone else snickered.

“Hey Monkey. Aren’t you going a bit overboard. Why didn’t you give Yi Jeong a chance to ask her? Besides that dace is two weeks away”
“We’re going dress shopping today this is important. Ji Hoo have you asked Ariel yet or do I have to ask her for you too?” Jae Kyung spoke.

“We have plans today.”
“That doesn’t answer my question.” Jae Kyung spoke.

“We can’t either. We also have plans.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“I second that” Ga Eul spoke up quickly.

“Fine. Wednesday. And isn’t Ariel’s dance this Friday.”
“We’re having a small get together just Jae Ha, Ariel and I.” Ga Eul spoke. There was a bit of sadness sin her eyes as she smiled.

 

Yi Jeong understood. Ariel was like a sister to Ga Eul and she’d told him how sad she was that her best friend was leaving. However, everyone understood that this was Ariel’s dream. Thinking back to his own dreams Yi Jeong hoped that Ga Eul would also be able to understand.

 

{A}

No matter how many times Ariel came to watch Ji Hoo play guitar, violin or the piano she was always blown away by his talent. They were once again alone inside the large music hall room. Ariel loved hearing Ji Hoo play. There was always such peace with whatever it was that he played and there was a feeling deep inside her chest that caused her to smile genuinely and took her breath away. Ji Hoo always played classical music to her and while Ariel never much liked that kind of music, she liked when Ji Hoo played it for her.

 

Today, however, was a new challenge. She’d asked Ji Hoo to play one of her favorite songs on the piano. She wanted the melody to keep with her when she went to New York. Lately, instead of taking pictures she’d been recording videos. Memories for when she was away. Thinking about that brought pain in her heart. She’d always looked forward to going away, meeting new people, having a fresh start… falling in love.

 

Looking at Ji Hoo who’d stopped playing she smiled at him.

“Can you play this song for me?”

“Sempai promised if I listened I could request any song.” Ariel spoke with a bright smile, reaching for her bag that was placed beside the piano bench and taking out her camera. Quietly she set it up and then proceeded to take out her phone. Offering her earphones to Ji Hoo she played one of her favorite songs. Hello Goodbye by Hyorin. Ji Hoo was quiet. His eyes closed and his hands place on the keys of the piano.

 

Quietly, Ariel waited for Ji Hoo to hear the song, knowing he’d want to listen to it a few times before playing it for her. Thinking about not seeing her friends really hurt her. It seemed like the life she’d always wanted to live was there in Korea and now she was walking away from it. All her life she’d been picked on and ridiculed by others and it wasn’t until a few months back that she gained new friends. Thinking back to that time six months ago she smiled.

Her parents had enough of it. Her father was so angry as was her mother when they found out just how badly she’d ben hurt. Ariel hadn’t wanted them to worry about her.
“I just need to endure this a little longer.” She would always tell herself. Her body felt sore from the beating. She’d refused to stay home but her mother and father made her do so for an entire week. A lawsuit had been filed against the school after nothing was done to her bullies.

 

Ariel was so use to it, she tried not think about it. Jae Ha had stayed by her side all morning and escorted her to each of her classes. He continued to apologize to her but there was nothing he could really do. She’d excepted her fate long ago. Luna, her new friend would accompany her and they would make small talk. The girl was a bit too shy and she was still a bit wary around both her and Jae Ha. Ariel understood, having to move from place to place wasn’t fun.

“I’ll carry your books.” Jae Ha offered Ariel once again while she began to take thing out of her locker. Her arm was still in a sling and she was sad and frustrated about it but simply treaded on.

 

Whispers around the hall suddenly began and from far away there were screams of excitement.

“What’s going?” Jae Ha questioned.

“It might be another fight. Are your parents still talking to the Principal right now?” Luna questioned softly.

Before Ariel could answer the crowds of students began to move closer to them. They appeared to be surrounding someone. In the crowd she could see Autumn, Ha Na, Summer, Gook, Ray, and Joon.

 

Finally, when the crowd parted Ariel was surprised that it was F4. Usually the one to lead them was Goo Jun Pyo, but it was Ji Hoo that was walking in front of Jun Pyo, Yi Jeong and Woo Bin. For a moment, Ariel was unsure if this was a dream but it became clear to her it wasn’t when Ji Hoo stood in front of her. Without a word he took her hand and the crowd began to whisper loudly. Ariel felt overexposed, she received glares and a few people even began to scream names at her.

“Enough.” Jun Pyo spoke up taking the lead and silencing everyone. Ariel tried to walk away but Ji Hoo instead intertwine their hands.

“She is our friend. If you touch her again or so much as dare to speak ill of her again we won’t go easy on you.”

Ji Hoo turned to look at Goo, Ray and Joon as did Yi Jeong both of them having seen three of her bullies before.

“I suggest you leave he alone now. This is our final warning.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“I won’t threaten you. But if I see a scratch on her. Or if her eyes express sadness again I’ll make sure you no longer breathe.” Ji Hoo spoke calmly. Autumn, Ha Na and Summer on the other hand could only watch.

“You three.” Woo Bin spoke up to them causing the three girls to look at them in both surprise and fear.

“Do you bully our friend.”
“We would never. Tell them Ariel.” Ha Na spoke up first.

“Really? Ji Hoo says otherwise. We’ve seen you.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“We could beat you. Nail you to stage set” Woo Bin continued.

“You three.” Jun Pyo spoke motioning to Ray, Gook, and Joon.

“Lawyer, Business Owner, and Accountant. Aren’t those your parents’ jobs?” Jun Pyo questioned. Neither of the three boys dared to speak.

“Touch her again and all six of you will lose it all. You’ll be out on the street without any source of income or future. No one would want you after we are done with you.”
“Please. We didn’t mean it. We were just having fun.”
“Fun? Hitting her to you is fun?” Ji Hoo spoke his voice calm though his eyes expressed anger.

“Sempai.”
“Apologize to her.” Jun Pyo spoke.

 

Immediately all six began to speak apologies students around them could only watch in both awe and fear.

“Mean it.” Yi Jeong spoke coldly.
“On your knees.” Woo Bin spoke. Watching as he bullies kneeled in front of her gave Ariel mixed feelings. Somehow it felt wrong and she wanted them to stand but before she could speak or move Ji Hoo squeezed her hand silently telling her to keep quiet. From the corner of her eyes Ariel could see both Jae Ha and Luna looking at her. There was a look in Jae Ha’s eyes which she couldn’t understand either.

“Ariel. We’re sorry. We won’t do it again.” Gook spoke the rest following after him.

“Please. Don’t do this to our parents.” Summer cried.

“My father is sick please.” Autumn cried.

“We’ll forgive you just this once.” Woo Bin spoke.

“If Ariel forgives you.” Ji Hoo spoke.

“If she decides not to then you will all lose everything.”
“Please Ariel. We’re sorry.” Ha Na cried.

“What is going on here?” The Principal spoke outraged.

“Your resigning.” Jun Pyo spoke to him.

“Who are you.”
“Goo Jun Pyo heir of Shinwaa” Woo Bin spoke up. Visibly the man paled. Ariel’s parents who had both been with the Principal talking about the lawsuit were smiling. Nothing had gotten through to the man so far.

“Someone new will take your place. We’ve already spoken to the person in charge and the last thing he needs is a scandal involving our names with it. They’ve left it up to us to chose a new person for your position.” Jun Pyo continued.
“Unless of course, an apology is issued to the Lee’s and their daughter.” Ji Hoo spoke.

 

The small balding man in a gray suit could only continue to redden and began to incoherently apologize.

“Do you accept their apology Ariel?” Ji Hoo questioned once again. For a moment Ariel looked at all of them. Everyone was staring at her, making her feel uncomfortable.

“You’re all bad people.” Ariel spoke up.

“Picking on me and everyone else whose different. All of you just sit and watch without saying a word. But I’m not like you. I won’t be like you. So yes… I forgive you.” Ariel spoke quietly.

“Alright. It’s settled.” Jun Pyo spoke nodding.

“But if this happens again we won’t be as forgiving.” Yi Jeong threatened.

“Let’s go.” Jun Pyo spoke heading to walk out. Ariel though Ji Hoo would now let go of her hand. Instead, he began to walk out taking her with him while everyone continued to stare but only a few followed Jae Ha and Luna being part of it as well.

“Sempai. Classes aren’t over yet.” She continued quietly.

“Hey you owe us your coming with us.” Woo Bin spoke with a smile.

“Where?” Ariel questioned.

“You’re buying fishcakes.” Jun Pyo spoke causing Ariel to laugh.

“Bring me some next time. We’ll see you later.” Jun Pyo spoke. When they reached outside all of F4 with the exception of Ji Hoo who opened the car door for her.

 

“You didn’t have to do that you know Sempai.” Ariel spoke up quietly once Ji Hoo got inside the car and they drove off.

“I wanted to.” Ji Hoo spoke.

“Where are we going?”
“You’ll see.” Ji Hoo spoke with a smile.

 

Looking at Ji Hoo who continued to listen to the song she’d given him she smiled. This was where he had taken her. She’d been so happy to hear him play piano.

“Thank you Sempai.” Ariel spoke causing Ji Hoo to open his eyes. Taking the earphones off he didn’t say anything instead began to play the familiar melody of the song Ariel loved so much. Quietly Ariel began to sing the words to the song. Feeling it close to her heart. While she hated goodbye’s this wasn’t going to be a forever, it would be a see you later. They still had a few more weeks together. Furthermore, she had no doubt that she and Ji Hoo would be part of each other’s lives for a long time. Even so, her heart ached knowing she would miss this person. She had not realized she was crying until Ji Hoo suddenly stopped playing. She was confused at first, that was until Ji Hoo reached to wipe away her tears. Cupping her cheek gently with his hand he swiped his thumb across her cheek.

 

There was that look once again, that look that made her move closer and at the same made it impossible for her to keep her eyes open. Behind them the sound of the door opening was heard causing them to both move away.

“Ji Hoo.”

The voice was unfamiliar to Ariel but Ji Hoo’s expression of pain and surprised caused her to turn. A beautiful woman, one Ariel had only ever seen in billboards and magazines stood in front of both of them.

“Seo Hyun.”