Chapter 12: Second Guessing

Vulnerable Heart

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for waiting. I hope you enjoy this chapter!

{G}

Two weeks were over. Two more weeks had passed and in turn a full month had gone by since all this had started. Somehow, two weeks felt like yesterday. In the beginning, Ga Eul had wanted this to end as fast as it possibly could. She was in love with her childhood friend Jae Ha and only had Ariel and Jae Ha as friends. Two weeks with Yi Jeong had changed everything.

 

Ga Eul had not only fallen out of love with Jae Ha; but gained six new friends. Among those friends was Yi Jeong; the person that Ga Eul was sure that she was falling in love with. Every time that she thought of him however, there was a sinking feeling at the pit of her stomach. Not the usual butterflies but a worrisome feeling. She had yet to see Yi Jeong these past two weeks. He’d been in the hospital the past week and the week after; Yi Jeong had not attended school.

 

Ga Eul had spoken to the rest of F4 and both Jan Di and Jae Kyung who knew Yi Jeong the best. After talking to them it was made clear to her that they were not going to push Yi Jeong to open up. Though they were aware of what always went on behind closed doors with Yi Jeong and his family they did not pressure Yi Jeong to talk.

“Asking him about this will only cause him to push us away. And right now he needs us.” Woo Bin had said to her.

 

It was solely because of this that Ga Eul wasn’t sure what to do next. She was not going to push their friends to get him to talk. The last thing she wanted was for Yi Jeong to shut down emotionally even more than he already was. It was the night before that Jan Di and Ji Hoo had both informed her of Yi Jeong coming back to school again.

 

Ga Eul wasn’t sure what would happen now that things had ended. For a moment her mind flashed back to that first moment she had seen Yi Jeong. Sunny kneeling in front of him. Shaking her head, she reminded herself that she would not do that. As much as she cared for Yi Jeong, Ga Eul did have her pride. There were things she would not do. And as much as she cared for Yi Jeong, repeating the cycle which he had been in with many other girls would not help him.

 

Yi Jeong had made it clear to her that things between them were over. And yet, Ga Eul could not give up. It was more than just caring for Yi Jeong and loving him. It was about what she knew of him and what she saw in his eyes every single time they were together. There was something in his eyes that told her he needed saving. Not just from the people around him but from himself.

 

Ga Eul couldn’t understand those feelings. Part of her was glad and felt blessed that although she did not have money she had family and love. She could not understand Yi Jeong’s situation but she wanted to understand him. She wanted to share his burdens and tell him he was not alone. She wasn’t giving up on him.

 

She’d gone to his kiln again that morning; much like she had done for the past week. She had not left another voicemail; or left a text message. Ga Eul felt that there was no need to blow up Yi Jeong’s phone. She had said what she needed to say to Yi Jeong already. She knew enough of Yi Jeong to know that he would never respond to anything she left on his phone. At this point he seemed to be avoiding her.

 

No matter how early she went to his kiln Yi Jeong would never answer her. At first Ga Eul had waited; first in the morning, then at night. She’d even gone out of her way to wait for an entire day and night. She’d once again gotten an earful at home for that by both her mother and father. But Ga Eul wasn’t willing to give up on Yi Jeong. At least not yet.

 

It became clear to her after her “Reckless Behavior,” As her father had put it; that Yi Jeong was purposely avoiding her. Ga Eul had not spoken to Yi Jeong face to face since the incident at the hospital. It became clearer to her that he was only pushing her away when F4 had gone to the kiln after Ga Eul had left one morning and they were let in.

 

Whether the boys had tried speaking to Yi Jeong about her, Ga Eul didn’t know. She’d asked Ji Hoo about what to do and he’d only told her not to give up on him yet.

“But take care of your heart as well. If it gets too painful we’ll all understand if you leave him.” Ji Hoo had said to her.

 

Pain… it was something that Ga Eul had not stopped feeling from the moment Yi Jeong was taken away two weeks ago. Worrying came with that feeling as well.

“Yi Jeong Oppa is back!”

Startled out of her thoughts Ga Eul found herself looking around. She’d forgotten where she was. Lost in her thoughts that she had not realized she was still standing outside of school.

 

The girls around her began to scream while a few cars were parked out in the front. They began to run towards the cars and Ga Eul found herself being pushed by a heard of girls. That feeling in both her heart and stomach of worry began to increase and Ga Eul found herself turning away and heading inside school.

 

For now, she had decided not to push Yi Jeong. Just for this moment she was going to play it by ear. Part of her was afraid that Yi Jeong would be cruel and harsh to her like he had tried to be at the hospital. Walking inside the school halls and towards her locker she began to open her locker. Taking things out and putting things in. She tried to focus on the task while not allowing her mind to wander with worry.

 

“Ga Eul.”
It was both Jan Di and Jae Kyung that stood beside her. There was a look of sympathy in both their eyes and Ga Eul tried to force herself to smile. Ga Eul knew that both girls were trying to be supportive of her. In fact, they too; like Ariel, encouraged her not to give up on Yi Jeong. But the fact of the matter was, neither of her friends knew what she was feeling. How could they when both Jan Di and Jae Kyung had the perfect fairy tale romances. As far as Ariel went, she had never even liked a boy that was not Mr. New York. And fantasy was not the same as cruel reality.

 

“It’ll be fine. We’ll be with you the entire time.” Jan Di spoke.

“Yeah.” Jae Kyung spoke with a reassuring smile.

“Thanks.” Ga Eul spoke.

It was at that exact moment that the halls began to fill with screaming girls. It was as if celebrities had walked into the room as F4 walked together.

 

Looking at Yi Jeong, Ga Eul had almost forgotten how to breathe. It felt like an eternity, since the last time she had looked at him. Yi Jeong was smiling. But it was that smile that further unsettled Ga Eul. It wasn’t his real smile, the one that Ga Eul had been fortunate enough to see but the fake smile Yi Jeong had perfected over the years. It was like watching the progress they had made during two weeks completely vanish and Ga Eul had to fight back tears.

 

“Here he comes.” A girl that was standing beside Ga Eul’s locker spoke up. She was with her group of friends with an excited smile on her face.

“I’ve been waiting for Oppa to come back. I hope no one has asked him out yet.”

At her words Ga Eul felt like the air had been knocked out of her. There was this feeling of wanting to throw up and like something bad was about to happen that Ga Eul couldn’t shake off.

Jan Di, Jae Kyung and Ga Eul all stood there while F4 passed. Ga Eul couldn’t understand why both Jae Kyung and Jan Di were at her side at the moment; seeing as they were Yi Jeong’s friends first, but she was glad for their company.

 

 

“Oppa.” The girls who was standing a few feet from Ga Eul spoke up. Stopping the boys from walking away. Ga Eul could only hold her breath realizing that the girl was speaking to Yi Jeong. At the moment there was a bright fake smile on the latters face and it caused Ga Eul’s chest to tighten more. There was an urge to cry again that she pushed back; not knowing what was to happen next. The hall had gone quiet and Jun Pyo, Woo Bin, and Ji Hoo’s faces were all expressionless and cold while they waited.

 

 

“Yi Jeong Oppa. I like you.”
“Please go out with me.” The girl spoke boldly; a blush to her cheeks.

There was a part of Ga Eul that refused to look at Yi Jeong and there was another that wanted to look at him. She wanted to plead with him and tell him to say no. Somehow, her eyes did meet his if only briefly; both of them looking away at the same time and then. Yi Jeong smiled at the girl in front of him.

“Sure.”

“I’ll see you later.”
With those words to part, and without glancing at Ga Eul Yi Jeong silently walked away with the Jun Pyo, Woo Bin, and Ji Hoo following behind him.

 

Around them, the rest of the students piled out just as the bell rang.

“Ga Eul.” Jan Di spoke up in concern; the same expression on Jae Kyung’s eyes.

“Are you alright?”
“I’m fine.” Ga Eul answered fighting back tears. Closing her locker, Ga Eul quickly walked to class wanting nothing more than for this day to end.

 

{Y.J}

There was a feeling of not belonging. Something had changed. While Yi Jeong felt that his friends were the same he had changed. There were things that he no longer cared for and school was one of those things. Why had he come that morning? Currently he was in the F4 lounge at school. Classes felt irrelevant but he couldn’t stay at home. His long lost aunt and Ariel’s mother had not stopped visiting him. Most of the time he spent it locked in his room or going out in order to avoid her. By the time he came home or came downstairs she was gone and there was a note and food which had gone cold from hours of sitting there.

 

Even if Yi Jeong did eat whatever it was that was left for him on occasion it all tasted bitter. Il Hyun had gone to see him that morning before he left for school but Yi Jeong had shut him out as well. He was aware his brother had keys to just about everywhere in the house; that included his kiln. He’d told Il Hyun that he was late for school and pretended to be alright.

 

It was always something he was good at pretending. Yi Jeong figured he could go back to that. Pretending. Deep within himself he knew that things could never go back to the way they had been previously could they?

“Yi Jeong Sunbae.”

 

Hearing her voice made Yi Jeong want to reach for a drink which he did not have at hand. Bile rose from his throat which he tired to push away and he pushed himself to ignore the pain in his chest until it too became numb again. She’d gone to see him that morning at his kiln; much like she had been doing for the past few days.

 

Yi Jeong could not understand why she was not letting this go. He wasn’t someone that needed rescuing. Not from her. There was anger and frustration that was starting to grow within himself and Yi Jeong tried to convince himself to forget about Chu Ga Eul. If he could not forget a country bumpkin that he had known for only two weeks than he could at least ignore her. Ignore her and hate her.

 

Chu Ga Eul was too much to handle for him. He could not understand why she was still trying to follow him around and yet… he himself could not forget.

“Love doesn’t exist.” He reminded himself once again. It was something that was not for him and that only naïve people believed in. And yet… Chu Ga Eul’s face, smile, and their time together continued to flash in his head. They were memories that continued to confuse his beliefs.

 

The bell rang once again and Yi Jeong turned his attention to the door where Jun Pyo, Ji Hoo, and Woo Bin all walked in. Their expressions calm, yet Yi Jeong knew they were upset with him. Smirking at his friends he spoke,

“Upset that I skipped class? We’ve all done it. It’s not a big deal.”

“We don’t care about that. It’s your business.” Woo Bin spoke up.

“What was up with you this morning?” Jun Pyo questioned.

“What do you mean. It’s routine. You guys know that.”

“Routine?” Jun Pyo questioned.

“What about Ga Eul? Was she routine?”
“She doesn’t matter. It’s in the past and I don’t care enough for her to discuss it.”

Looks are exchanged between Ji Hoo, Woo Bin and Jun Pyo but none of them say more to Yi Jeong about Ga Eul.

“There’s someone waiting outside for you.” Ji Hoo speaks causing Yi Jeong to stand up from where he’s sitting and head to the door where the girl from that morning is now standing; a smile on her face as she waves at Yi Jeong shyly.

“Don’t bring her tonight.” Ji Hoo tells him once Yi Jeong opens the door; the girl hears this and blushes looking down embarrassed but Yi Jeong offers he a charming smile and throws an arm around her waist.

“Where?” He asks.

“Ariel made plans for us. Don’t bring along unwanted people.” Ji Hoo speaks coldly.

“Whatever.” Yi Jeong agrees before walking out of the F4 lounge with the girl.

“Let’s go have fun.” He tells her.

 

{G}

“You don’t have to do this.” Ga Eul tells both Jan Di and Jae Kyung who are sitting at a table in the cafeteria with Ga Eul. There are several eyes on them that it makes Ga Eul feel more insecure than she had been the entire day; not to mention self conscious. She felt like she was already the talk of the entire school and there was no need for there to be added whispers to her day.

“We want to Ga Eul. We’re your friends.” Jae Kyung says with a bright smile.
“But Yi Jeong-”

“He has the boys with him. We’re your friends too Ga Eul. We decided we liked you and we don’t intend on ending our friendship with you” Jan Di speaks.

“Yeah.”
“It’s Yi Jeong who has that stupid dating rule. Not us. We’re your friends Ga Eul we have your back.” Jae Kyung tells her.

“We’re going to get something to eat. We’ll be right back.” Jan Di tells Ga Eul who offers a weak smile to both Jae Kyung and Jan Di as they get up to leave.

 

Feeling like a burden Ga Eul sighs. The last thing she wanted to do was divide Yi Jeong from his friends. Not to mention she was cutting times between Jan Di and Jun Pyo, and Jae Kyung and Woo Bin.

“Just because my love life has gone down the drain does not mean I take my friends relationships with me.”

 

Ga Eul thinks about that morning. The way Yi Jeong had looked at the other girl and wonders if she really was just another girl to him. Ga Eul doesn’t want to cry. She’s been pushing herself not to do so the entire morning but there’s a knot that is in that keeps wanting to rise; which she pushes back. She wants to find time to talk to Yi Jeong but at the moment that feels impossible.

 

Her phone vibrates and Ga Eul takes it out of her pocket to see a message from Jae Ha.

Remember tonight we have Karaoke. I got us a private room. Your rich friends owe the drinks. Ariel and I will me you and your friends at eight. Don’t be late.

-Jae Ha

“Right.” Ga Eul reminds herself. Briefly she wonders whether or not Yi Jeong will be there and she thinks that the chances of him going or small. Feeling dejected Ga Eul sighs.

“I told you he would drop you the second the dateline was over.”
 

Looking up from her phone Ga Eul tries not to let her emotions give way to Sunny, Miranda and Ginger.

“What do you want?” Ga Eul asked quietly.

“Nothing. Just. Proving my point.” Sunny spoke with a satisfied smile. There was a look in their eyes that pissed Ga Eul off. She’d had enough of people like this thinking that they could do what they wished and part of her was projecting her frustrations not with Yi Jeong but with people like the three girls standing in front of her that had caused Yi Jeong to be this way.

 

“Why does this matter to you?”
“Excuse me?” Sunny spoke in surprise.

“Why do you care about my relationship with Yi Jeong so much?”
“No matter how much you say to me. Or what you try to do Yi Jeong won’t go back to you.”
By now the entire cafeteria had gone silent; all of the students listening to what was happening between Ga Eul and the trio of self-righteous girls.

 

It was in a collective matter that all three girls glared at Ga Eul who found herself standing up.

“What did you say to me?” Sunny questioned calmly, though there was anger in her eyes.

“All three of you have no dignity. You’re friends, but at the same time you act like vultures the moment one of you is down. You like to act like you’re better than everyone but what do you have to show for your life.”
“Other than what your parents give and buy you, you have nothing. You’re empty and you’ll always be that way.”

 

Anger reflected on all of the girls faces and it was then that Sunny raised her hand to strike Ga Eul. Her hand was stopped by Jan Di who had rushed to Ga Eul’s side as had Jae Kyung.

“I think we’re all done here.” Jan Di spoke calmly.

“I suggest that you leave Ga Eul alone.”
“She’s not under the protection of Yi Jeong Oppa anymore.” Miranda answered.

“But she is under my protection.”
“Jae Hee unnie!” Sunny, Miranda and Ginger all spoke in surprise while bowing their heads.

“What’s going on here?” Jae Hee questioned, only to be met by silence.

“Alright then. If we’re done here then Ga Eul, would you mind coming with me?” Jae Hee asked.

Surprised Ga Eul turned to both Jan Di and Jae Kyung who offered her a wry smile.

“Are you coming?” Jae Hee asked heading out of the cafeteria. Reluctantly Ga Eul followed behind her.

“We have a lot to discuss. And don’t worry you’re not in trouble.” Jae Hee spoke to Ga Eul while they walked down the hall.

 

It was there that Ga Eul saw Yi Jeong and the girl from before come out of an empty classroom, their clothes disheveled. Ga Eul’s heart sunk and it was then that Yi Jeong’s eyes met hers. There was a pause as he looked at her but just like that he shook it off and walked away. Ga Eul wanted to cry but bit her lip and continued to follow Jae Hee to her office.

“Please have a seat Ga Eul.” Jae Hee spoke calmly. Going to her desk to sit behind it.

“You shouldn’t cry Ga Eul. But I would understand if you did.” Jae Hee spoke handing Ga Eul a tissue from a box Jae Hee kept on her desk. Clutching the tissue in her hand Ga Eul could not speak. In fact, she was fighting with herself more than ever not to cry.

 

“Why is he doing this? I don’t understand what went wrong.” Ga Eul thought to herself. Feeling like her heart was starting to crack and truly break.

“I don’t know what you’re feeling right now. But. I wanted to talk to you about Yi Jeong.”
Looking at Jae Hee with confusion causing the latter to smile.

“I was there Ga Eul. I know how much you care about Yi Jeong. Tell me. Do you love him?”

The question was met by silence and Ga Eul found herself unsure of what to answer. Not because she was doubting what she felt for Yi Jeong but, given the circumstances of what had happened and what she had just witnessed her heart felt insecure.

“Does that matter anymore?” Ga Eul questioned back, causing Jae Hee to smile.

“Of course it does. Your feelings are important.”
“What good are they if Yi Jeong he-“
“Are you giving up Ga Eul?” Jae He questioned.

 

Ga Eul found herself wondering the same thing. She was in pain but she reminded herself that Yi Jeong must also be. There were many things which Ga Eul could not understand and all she really wanted to do was talk to Yi Jeong to try and understand.

“What are you thinking?” Jae Hee asked. Ga Eul felt unsure if she should speak but Jae Hee spoke for her.

“Yi Jeong has been through a lot. He needs someone that will stick by him at the moment. I know you won’t understand much about what’s going on but. What do you know?”

“Not much. Yi Jeong has never really told me anything about what happened with his parents.”

“I’ve never wanted to push him to tell me personal things when he wasn’t ready.”

“What I do know is what I found out when Yi Jeong was kidnapped.”
“Then you know enough to know that what Yi Jeong needs is someone who is willing to love him unconditionally.”
“I’m not planning on giving up on him. Even if all Yi Jeong needs is me being his friend.”
“But he doesn’t just need a friend. He has friend Ga Eul. What he needs is someone who can not only love him but who he can love.”

“Do you understand?”

“Yes.” Ga Eul spoke quietly.

“If that’s all.” Ga Eul spoke standing up and bowing politely to Jae Hee as she walked to the door.

“Ga Eul.” Jae Hee called after her quietly causing Ga Eul to stop and turn to look at her.

“Just because you love him does not mean that you can’t be upset or angry at him. When he comes to his senses let him work for it. Give him hell.”

With a wry smile Ga Eul nodded and walked out.

 

{Y.J}

He could not do it. There was nothing that Yi Jeong had felt but utter repulsion with himself. He’d attempted to once again get Ga Eul out of his head but as he kissed that girl whose name he could not remember and while he had tried to go further with her it was Ga Eul who he could not get out of his name. Needless to say that when he’d accidentally called out Ga Eul’s name as he got hot and heavy with the girl she had not been happy. She hadn’t slapped him but Yi Jeong would not have blamed her if that had happened. What he had not anticipated was that Ga Eul would see them. If only briefly he had the urge to explain himself to Ga Eul and tell her that nothing had happened.

 

Of course Yi Jeong brushed his feelings aside again. Reminding himself that it was nothing and there was no need to explain himself to Ga Eul. Not when he had wanted to cut ties with her. There was a lot to remind himself of why he had done so. Currently he was standing inside his kiln.

 

There was still so much of his pottery to get rid of. These were things he no longer wanted in his life. He wasn’t going to be anything except the person whom his father was now and that only left a bitter taste in his mouth. The last thing he had ever wanted was to become his father and it was now more than ever that he was sure he was headed down that road. His mother had not called him like she used to whenever she was committed. Most of the time she would call him and cry hysterically and beg him to take her out. Not that Yi Jeong ever would. He learned his lesson the first time. He’d taken his mother out only to have her go on a rampant rage inside the house and destroy everything that belonged to his father. Which had not gone well with the latter and Yi Jeong ended up paying for it.

 

A knock on the door caused YI Jeong to still and he remained quiet. Ga Eul was here again. There was no doubt in his mind that Ga Eul was here. While he had not allowed Ga Eul to see him Yi Jeong had seen her. Part of him wondered why it was that she wasn’t giving up on him. There was a feeling inside of him that just wouldn’t go away. When thinking of Ga Eul t here was a painful feeling in his heart. There was a feeling of missing her and something more that he could not describe.

 

Pain. Ga Eul was another person that had the ability to hurt him in a way that Yi Jeong was not willing to admit to himself. The door of his kiln opened and Eun Jae walked in with a smirk.

“You just missed her you know. Ga Eul-yang.”
There was something about the way Eun Jae spoke Ga Eul’s name that caused Yi Jeong to feel annoyed and yet at the moment he pushed aside his feelings and smirked.

“What do you want? I don’t have time for this. I’m just about to go out.”
“With your precious Ga Eul-yang?”

“Oh that’s right. You broke up with her.” Eun Jae mocked.

“At least you know Yi Jeong that only I can make you happy.” Eun Jae spoke pressing a kiss to Yi Jeong’s lips that caused him to feel disgust. Pushing her away Yi Jeong headed to the door.

“I might not be with Ga Eul-yang. But that doesn’t mean I want to be with you.”
“Next time I really will tell my brother.” Yi Jeong said to her heading out to his car to leave and meet up with his friends. Mentally he prepared himself to see Ga Eul once again. But there was something that was bothering him. Why had Ga Eul not come today? Had she finally given up on him? Why did that thought alone make his chest feel so much pressure to the point of not being able to breather?

 

It was a few minutes later that Yi Jeong found himself outside of a karaoke bar with Woo Bin, Jae Kyung, Jun Pyo, Jan Di, Ji Hoo and Ga Eul. When their eyes meant Yi Jeong found himself looking away as did Ga Eul who offered everyone and awkward smile.

“Ariel and Jae Ha got us a private room. They’ll be inside.” Ga. Eul spoke heading inside and leading everyone else.

 

The room was down the hall at the very end and upon entering the room was rather dark but loud. Ariel and Jae Ha were both singing to Big Bangs Bang, Bang, Bang. Ariel was in a short red wig that reached just below her chin and a cream colored dress while she danced, and jumped around happily. Her eyes had heavy black eye liner and she wore red lipstick.

“You’re here!” Ariel spoke with a bright smile pulling Ga Eul toward her ad Jae Ha. Both of them ignoring everyone else and pulling Ga Eul to sing with them. Jae Ha taking Ga Eul’s hand as did Ariel. There was something that once again stirred in Yi Jeong and he found himself feeling annoyed.

 

What was it about this guy that pissed him off? Yi Jeong didn’t know him well enough to say anything about the guy but it was clear to him by the uncomfortable look on Ga Eul’s face that she was not too willing to keep singing with them.

“Jealous?”
Turning to look at Ji Hoo who was sitting beside him while the rest of their friends had all now begun clapping and singing along while drinks were brought to them. Laughing Yi Jeong shook his head at Ji Hoo before speaking.

“Why would I be?”
“I don’t know maybe because Ga Eul is standing there singing along and holding hands with that Jae Ha guy.”

“I don’t care beside. Ga Eul seems pretty uncomfortable. And if you ask me it’s Ariel who looks better with Jae Ha don’t you think?” Yi Jeong questioned.

 

As Yi Jeong was speaking Ariel and Jae Ha were both singing to each other while Ga Eul was in the middle looking uncomfortable. Not that the other two noticed and seemed to be having the time of their lives. Ji Hoo on the other hand simply smiled back at Yi Jeong.
“Maybe. But if you ask me they look more like friends if not siblings.” Ji Hoo tells Yi Jeong.

“And it’s not Ariel who writes Jae Ha’s name in her notebook is she?”
 

The song ended and Yi Jeong watched as Jae Ha led Ga Eul to sit beside him and Ariel grabbed the microphone from Jae Ha’s hand and walked toward Yi Jeong and Ji Hoo. G Dragon’s song Missing you featuring Kim Yoon began to play.

“Ji Hoo Sempai.” Ariel called out reaching to grab a surprised Ji Hoo’s hand to pull him up. Even if Ji Hoo protested, he reluctantly got up and as he began to sing with Ariel their friends cheered, Woo Bin in particular began to whistle while they teased his friend.

 

It was a bit bitter sweat to watch his friend with Ariel. Somehow it felt like everyone was having fun or meeting someone new. Ji Hoo had been so down and heartbroken a few months ago and now it seemed like something was changing. Sure Ji Hoo seemed stiff and serious while he sang alongside Ariel who was dancing, smiling and bouncing around beside Ji Hoo but they seemed to complement each other somehow. Yet as Yi Jeong looked at Ga Eul he knew there was nothing he himself could offer Ga Eul. Their eyes met and just for a moment Yi Jeong let himself look at her; pushing the feeling of want away. There was that look in Ga Eul’s eyes again which told him he was at risk of wanting something more again. As if Ga Eul would not hurt him but he couldn’t and would never live up to any expectations she had of him.

 

His hand began to throb and he found himself feeling again. Needing a drink, he reached for a bottle of soju and drank. He needed to get whatever this was out of his system quickly.

 

{J.H}

The room was rather rambunctious now. Everyone had gone a turn now and seemed to be enjoying themselves. With the exception of Ga Eul and Yi Jeong of course. Ga Eul sat on the corner at the end of the very large couch quietly avoiding conversation and not raising her head up. Too lost in her thoughts and worry for Yi Jeong which she would occasionally glance at. Not that Yi Jeong looked at her when she did.

 

In fact, Yi Jeong was at the other end by himself and nursing a bottle of Soju. While Jae Ha had been at Ga Eul’s side for most of the night Ga Eul had mostly ignored any advances to talk with anyone and eventually Jae Ha had been dragged to sing with the girls or talked with Woo Bin who seemed to have taken a liking to Jae Ha. Jun Pyo wasn’t that friendly but that was expected from his friend who was often times distrustful of anyone that was not F4.

“Come on Don Juan!” Jae Kyung shouted; pulling Woo Bin up while Minzy’s new song Ninano ft. Flowsik began to play. Woo Bin cheered happily while Jae Kyung began to dance and everyone began to cheer once again.

 

Quietly Ji Hoo saw Ga Eul stand up and head to the door wanting to leave without telling anyone. No one except for he and Yi Jeong. It was brief but Ji Hoo saw the look of pain and regret that flickered in Yi Jeong’s eyes. He was contemplating whether or not to follow after Ga Eul and talk to her when Yi Jeong himself stood up and quietly left after Ga Eul.

 

“Finally.” Ji Hoo thought. Hoping that Yi Jeong was finally going to snap out of it. Turning back to his friend who were still singing he laughed along with everyone else only to see Ariel walking out of the room with a worried expression on her face. Not wanting for Ga Eul and Yi Jeong to be interrupted Ji Hoo followed Ariel out of the room, catching her by the arm just as she headed out of the hallway.

“Sempai.”
“Yi Jeong went after her she’ll be fine.” Ji Hoo assured Ariel who still remained unconvinced.

“You have to let them work this out on their own. Otherwise things will remain the same.” Ji Hoo said to her. There was a look of uncertainty in Ariel’s eyes as she contemplated Ji Hoo’s words and then she nodded causing Ji Hoo himself to relax in relief and let go of Ariel’s arm.

 

“I’ll send Ga Eul a text then. So I know she’s alright.” Ariel spoke taking her phone out from a small clutch bag she was carrying with her.

“But. I’m waiting out here for her. I don’t. I’m worried about both of them.” She admitted going to sit on the hallway floor her back pressed to the wall. With a sigh Ji Hoo joined her.

“We’re all worried.” Ji Hoo said to her.

“But you can’t allow yourself to come between their problems. It’s their problem. They’re the ones who need to resolve it.”

“But. I don’t think Yi Jeong is ready. There’s just too much going on don’t you think?” Ariel questioned.

 

While Ji Hoo agreed he felt like things would change and tried to explain that to Ariel.

“Maybe. But they can handle it. Ga Eul is good for Yi Jeong.”
“I know that. But. Yi J enough isn’t ready to face that and even though I care for him and he is my cousin Ga Eul is like a sister. I’ve cared about her longer.”
“I understand.” Ji Hoo tells her.

“My mom says…”
“I. She says things won’t be settled any time soon and I’m worried. I don’t think either of them can take much more of this.” Ariel spoke, sadness in her eyes as she looked at Ji Hoo.

“I agree.”

“But this isn’t up to you or I. This is between Yi Jeong and Ga Eul and if tonight and this moment is anything it’s and indication that things should get better. You just have to trust both of them.” Ji Hoo said to Ariel.

 

{G}

Ga Eul had called herself a cab and was simply waiting outside of the Karaoke bar. It was late now and she was in no mood to be out and having fun with her friends. That feeling of wanting to cry and just disappear was still on her chest and seeing Yi Jeong; being ignored by him only caused this pain to increase. She’d wanted to have fun but Ga Eul had to admit to herself she hadn’t really tried. Sighing she waved at the cab that was approaching. The sound of the car door clicking open was heard and Ga Eul reached to open the door.

“Ga Eul-yang!”
 

Feeling her heart stop Ga Eul turned to look at Yi Jeong who jogged toward her, closing the cab door in order to stop her from going in.

“Sorry. I’ll drive her home.” Yi Jeong spoke to the cab driver, handing him some money to the man inside the cab who quickly left. Ga Eul’s heart was racing and there was so much that was going on inside her head and yet, no words came out of .

 

Biting her lip, she looked at Yi Jeong who avoided eye contact with her. A heavy cloud of unease filled the cold night air and uncomfortable silence followed. What would he say to her? Ga Eul wondered what she would say. There was so much she had wanted to tell Yi Jeong, so much that she wanted to ask and yet it all felt jumbled inside her head and seemed to close.

 

There was an awkward chuckle that escaped Yi Jeong’s lips while he rubbed the nape of his neck awkwardly. It took him a moment but then he looked at Ga Eul.

“Sorry about that. I. Needed to talk to you.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“I can drive you home after this if you’d like?”

 

Feeling her phone vibrate Ga Eul took it out only to see text messages from both Ariel and Jae Ha asking where she was. Quickly she typed back a reply and giving an excuse to both Ariel and Jae Ha that she’d gone to the bathroom and would come back in later before turning back to Yi Jeong.

“Sorry Sunbae. Ariel’s wondering where I am and. I think we should head back inside.” Ga Eul whispered. Mainly because she felt like things were too awkward between her and Yi Jeong at the moment for them to be alone.

“You don’t have to worry about taking me home. Jae Ha will drive Ariel and I back since we do live beside one another.” Ga Eul spoke trying to head inside only for Yi Jeong to catch her arm.

“Ga Eul-yang. Do you want to go on a date with me?”
 

The question took Ga Eul by surprised and she turned to look at Yi Jeong who avoided her eyes.

“A date?”
“We missed it last time. I missed it. But. I was hoping to make it up to you. Just one date.”
“And the girl?” Ga Eul found herself asking.
“She’s fine. I just. Just one date Ga Eul-yang. If you don’t want to see me again. I’ll understand.” Yi Jeong spoke.

 

“Can I think about it?” Ga Eul questioned Yi Jeong who nodded.

“I’ll see you tomorrow Ga Eul” Yi Jeong spoke before walking away from her and heading to his car. Ga Eul watched him drive away and there was a feeling inside her chest which she could not push away. Worry. Something was telling her nothing was right and yet could it be?

 

Heading to back inside Ga Eul walked down the hallway only to find both Ariel and Ji Hoo sitting on the floor their backs pressed to the wall. Ariel was sleeping soundly with her head resting on Ji Hoo’s shoulder. Ji Hoo on the other hand quietly sat beside Ariel and Ga Eul found herself smiling as she quietly observed. Ji Hoo was looking at her friend with a soft smile he seemed to whisper something to her which Ga Eul could not hear but as he did so Ji Hoo reached to fix Ariel’s red bangs that had fallen to her eyes. There was a look in Ji Hoo’s eyes which ere warm and king and Ga Eul found herself smiling.

 

She was glad for her friend and there was no doubt in her mind that something was definitely sparking between her best friend and the quiet white knight of F4. At the same time, she couldn’t help but feel a little jealous. It felt like things were finally working out for Ariel who had been hurt and shut out by most people. But Ji Hoo didn’t seem to treat her the same way others did. Including herself and Jae Ha. Ga Eul was glad. But she wished the same would be for her and Yi Jeong.

 

Yi Jeong who she loved and yet she could not fully comprehend him. Just this morning and for the past few days Yi Jeong had been ignoring her. The image of him and that girl from school caused Ga Eul’s heart to be squished and pain to fill her lungs. Still, whatever this was she needed to ride this with Yi Jeong. Good or bad. Reaching for her phone she sent Yi Jeong a simple text.

“Okay.”