Chapter 16: Avoidance

Vulnerable Heart

Hey guys my book is stil on inkitt just remember to create and account and bookmark the story on inkitt if you want to contiue to read it and not lose your free copy here is the link https://www.inkitt.com/stories/fantasy/134198

 

{G}

 

Being done with someone while having to see them was more or less a problem. As much as Ga Eul cared for Yi Jeong she wasn’t going to put herself through this pain anymore. Without realizing it, Ga Eul had indirectly hurt her parents who had been so worried about her, and yet… she had not seen it. To a certain extent she had known their concern, but she’d selfishly brushed them of, much like Yi Jeong had done to her.

 

At school it was easy to avoid him. For the past few days Yi Jeong had continued to miss school. Ga Eul hadn’t asked F4 or the girls about his whereabouts, and it seemed like Yi Jeong had fought with them all. Everyone seemed upset and Ga Eul tried her best to push away the feeling of concern from her heart. She’d spent the day biting her inner cheek in worry that by the end of the day, she had not only drawn blood but the right side of her inner cheek was hurting so much she would no doubt be dealing with this small pain for at least a week.

 

Jan Di and Jae Kyung on the other hand encouraged her to still spend her lunch break with them at the F4 lounge.

“This won’t be a problem Ga Eul.” Jun Pyo had said to her.

“This is my place not Yi Jeong’s. We don’t want to pick sides seeing as you are both our friends but we have already made a choice.”
“I don’t want you guys to pick me and push him away.”
“We’re not.” Woo Bin explained to her calmly.

“He’s pushed us away and until he’s ready to come back and deal with his problems, we aren’t going to push him.” Ji Hoo explained.

“He’ll come back when he’s ready. But that doesn’t mean we’ll stop talking to you or chose one over the other. I think it’s best to split in two groups when and if he comes back. We’re on both your sides.” Jan Di spoke offering Ga Eul a look of understanding.

“Yeah, but for now we all think it’s best you two keep away from each other. It’s not good for either of you to be together at the moment. Not until he pulls himself together.” Jae Kyung exclaimed while the rest silently agreed.

 

Part of Ga Eul had wanted to be as optimistic as the rest of them had been. Then again, all she really wished now was for Yi Jeong to be able to find what it was he was looking for within himself and find some peace. Maybe then they could both talk and eventually become friends once more. Though she loved Yi Jeong, she was not ready to open up her heart to him once more. She’d done so once and he had broken her heart and hurt her in a way she had never been hurt before.

 

“Why don’t we all just relax. Ga Eul how about going shopping with us?” Jae Kyung spoke excitement in her voice while Woo Bin groaned.

“I’m not going this time monkey!” He protested.

“I didn’t invite you Prince Song. This was strictly a girls day but just for that you boys have to come.”
“I don’t know if I can go with you guys Jae Kyung," Ga Eul spoke unsure.
“It’ll be our treat.” Jan Di encouraged.

“I.”
“We’re not taking no for an answer Ga Eul. It’ll be fun and you can even bring Ariel.”
“I think she already has plans.” Jae Kyung spoke to Jan Di.

“I called her this morning, and she seemed to be in a hurry.”

“I haven’t seen her in a while. We should make plans with her soon. College admissions are coming soon and Ariel has her heart set on New York. We might not see her again for a while.” Jae Kyung said sadly.

“I could make arrangements against it.” Jun Pyo spoke casually earning a hit in the head form Jan Di and causing Jae Kyung to laugh while Woo Bin simply shook his head.

 

Ga Eul felt a pang in her heart when she realized this was true. Her friend might leave soon after they graduated from High School. Ariel had always had her heart set on New York and Ga Eul was aware that this wasn’t going to change any time soon. Not only did Ariel want to become a photographer, but she wanted to travel the world and find her true love. Watching Jan Di scold Goo Jun Pyo, Ga Eul wanted to speak up for him, part of her wanting Jun Pyo to stop her best friend from leaving. But what kind of friend would she be if she chose to be selfish and not let her friend do what she wanted? Sighing she turned to look at Ji Hoo who looked rather pensive, there was a silent frown on his face before he quickly masked his emotions. Biting her lip Ga Eul smiled. Call her a hopeless romantic but maybe she wasn’t the only one with a reason for wanting Ariel to stay in Korea.

 

{A}

 

Finding herself in the middle of the mall with Jae Ha at her side Ariel had gotten herself excited once again. She had not been out to have fun in a while. Ga Eul was missing but today she was on a mission at the mall.

“Why are you dragging me here with you again?” Jae Ha questioned.

“You agreed to help me after I helped you land the lead role in that play. Plus, I said I’d buy you lunch.” Ariel spoke pulling Jae Ha along inside the mall.

“I really do need to get more guy friends.” Jae Ha spoke frowning.

“It’s not that bad. I just needed you to come with me to get some prints of my pictures. I told you about what happened to my camera.” She spoke to Jae Ha who frowned.

 

“You really shouldn’t go out on your own. Next time tell me. I should have known things weren’t going to end well after those s continued to harass you during study period.”
“I told you. It’s settled. Ji Hoo Sempai really helped.” Ariel spoke with a smile. At the mention of Ji Hoo Jae Ha raised an eyebrow at her.

“So. If he’s so great why didn’t you call him to come with you. I mean from what I understand he got you a new camera, new clothes. He’s seems to like to play the so called ‘white knight’ everyone talks about.”

“It isn’t like that Ji Hoo Sempai is just kind.” Ariel spoke.

 

Of course, she would not tell Jae Ha that she had in fact called Ji Hoo to accompany her but for some reason Ji Hoo had not picked up any of her calls and she didn’t want to become excessive with her calls. She’d left a voicemail and a text message hoping he would reply but as far as she knew both the text message she sent was still unread. Ariel figured that Ji Hoo must have been really busy. She herself understood this, everything with Ga Eul and especially Yi Jeong was a lot of drama, she didn’t want to bother Ji Hoo and simply let it be.

 

“Alright, say I buy that, which I don’t," Jae Ha pointed out to Ariel.

“Remind me why I’m helping you lie to Ga Eul and get a present for your jerk of a cousin So Yi Jeong?”
“First of all,” Ariel began leading Jae Ha into a long line where people were waiting to get their phots printed.

“We’re not lying. Yi Jeong doesn’t want anyone to find out he’s living in my house yet. He’s going through a few things and my mom thinks it’s best that Yi Jeong do this on his own.”

“Alright, but what’s going to happen when Ga Eul finds out Yi Jeong is living next door at your place.”
“She won’t find out because we won’t tel her just yet. And if you open your mouth, I am going to put a dead skunk in your room.” Ariel threatened.

“Fine.” Jae Ha answered while Ariel smiled.

“Great. When we’re done here, I need to buy a few scrapbooks.” Ariel spoke with a smile.

 

Rolling his eyes and sighing in exasperation Jae Ha simply decided to give in. By the time they were done in line and went to a small shop inside the mall that sold scrapbooks Jae Ha was starving and he and Ariel simply went to a fast food restaurant inside the mall and ordered burgers.

“You know. You should really think about joining the play yourself. The girl that got the play is great but the drama teacher was happy with your audition.” Jae Ha explained bringing their food to a small table.
“Acting isn’t really my thing and I don’t think I’d enjoy it,"
“You know most of the script and you’ve memorized most of the dialogue, you should at least consider at least being the understudy. What could be so bad about acting?” Jae Ha questioned taking a sip of his drink.

“Well… for starters, Who’d want to go see a play where the ‘local witch’s’ daughter is the lead.? Have you not seen the movie Carrie? I think I’ll pass,” Ariel spoke taking a bite of her burger.

“It won’t be like that. I’ll be on stage with you and I don’t think our drama teacher would allow that.”
“Things can happen Jae Ha, besides you forget about the most crucial thing about that play.” Ariel continued.

“And that is?” Jae Ha questioned.

“We’d have to kiss and I’m sorry but I’d rather get sprayed by a skunk again and be forced by my parents to live outside for a week again than have to kiss you.”
“Gee thanks.” Jae Ha spoke dryly.

“No offense.” Ariel spoke sheepishly.

“But you know what I mean don’t you?”

“Of course, but you’ll just be the understudy. At least consider that.”
“I can’t. Applications to school are due soon and I really want to study abroad. I’m looking into scholarships and… I might have a shot," Ariel spoke proudly.

“I’m sure you’ll get it. You’re a great photographer Ariel.” Jae Ha said.

“You know the only reason I’m not allowed to be part of the photography club at school is because the students won’t allow it.” Ariel spoke trying her best not to sound too upset.

“Don’t let that get to you. The teacher is more understanding.”
“She is” Ariel spoke with a bright smile.

“She’s helping me with my scholarship and giving me a recommendation letter.”

 

“Ariel!”
Hearing her name called Ariel turned and smiled when she saw F4, Ga Eul, Jan Di and Jae Kyung and waved to them.

“Great.” Jae Ha muttered before smiling.

“What are you guys doing here?” Jae Kyung spoke smiling.

“We’re running a few errands.” Jae Ha spoke. Ariel, on the other hand turned to look at Ji Hoo who was walking behind the girls with Woo Bin and Jun Pyo. Offering a smile to him Ji Hoo did not look at her in fact he and Woo Bin, and Jun Pyo simply walked passed her without acknowledging her. Feeling her heart sink Ariel tried to force a smile.

“Ariel?” Ga Eul spoke. If anyone had noticed her reaction she knew it would be Ga Eul who was her best friend. Shaking her head, she silently told Ga Eul to forget it, and offered a bright smile.

“So why don’t you two join us?” Jae Kyung questioned.

“I think we should go home. I’m not feeling well.” Ariel lied.

“Come on. It’ll be fun.” Jae Ha spoke throwing an arm around her and causing Ariel to frown.

 

She tried conveying a silent message to Jae Ha with her eyes, much like she had done with Ga Eul but Jae Ha instead ignored it and smiled at her brightly.
“Come on, this will be fun don’t you think?” He questioned.

 

{Y. J}

 

For the past week Yi Jeong had not been allowed a drink of alcohol. Not that he had a choice. Yi Jeong was forced to move in with Ariel and her parents.

“You’re done staying at home on your own.” His uncle had said to him.

Of course, Yi Jeong had protested claiming his father was home, and he was old enough to take care of himself.

“Living a lonely life is no way to live son. You are done living like this. We may not have much, but you will have what you lacked in that house.” His Uncle had said to him.

 

At first, Yi Jeong didn’t understand what it was his uncle was saying, rather; he did not want to acknowledge it. But of course, things like these were hard to ignore. His uncle and aunt had helped him bring things that were essential, which he would need, clothes, and as far as his precious lotus his uncle had confiscated the car.

“Until you prove to me that you deserve to have all the things you’ve been handed to you, I will not give you this car back.”

 

Yi Jeong knew he had no choice but to accept. He realized more than ever that he could not stay in his house anymore. On his first night at Ariel’s house, Yi Jeong remembers feeling awkward. The house was small, similar to Ga Eul’s with two small bedroom, A small kitchen, and dining room, the living room was just as small, consisting of only a single couch, a coffee table and a small television. Just like Ga Eul’s home, Ariel’s home held a warmth of family love that his house never possessed.

 

His first night in the small house was different. Yi Jeong wasn’t given a room, the house was too small for that. Instead, Yi Jeong was given the couch, which at night could be turned into a bed. His first night there, Yi Jeong had a hard time sleeping. His mind continued to bring him back to two things. His family and Chu Ga Eul.

 

Yi Jeong couldn’t understand his mother, or his father for that matter. Yi Jeong could not recall a time when his parents had shown real affection for him or for Il Hyun. So why did they forcefully remove both he and Il Hyun from a good life and a good home? Yi Jeong had always wondered what it would have been like to have a loving family, a mother that doted on him, a father he could talk to and that would praise him when need be and scold him as well when he misbehaved. Thinking of Ariel, Yi Jeong smiled; wondering what it would have been like to have a sister as eccentric at her.

 

There were many things that he Yi Jeong knew he would have never had. Money, he might have never taken up pottery, and yet somehow Yi Jeong knew Pottery would have always been a part of his life. He loved it too much to give it up, and he figured it was something that he was meant to do, not matter how much his past changed. However, Yi Jeong hoped that in this alternate universe his hand would not have suffered the same fate as he was right now.

 

Looking at his hand Yi Jeong sighed, He’d received therapy for the first time today and he sighed in frustration. At this point, there was no need for him to feel hope. His hand was useless for the time being. Would there ever be a possibility that he could ever create the same type of work as he had done in the past? He was unsure.

 

“If this were not my life. If I had lived here. I would have both lost and gained a lot.” Yi Jeong whispered to himself. His friends, who had become family, was something that Yi Jeong knew he would lose in this alternate life. Yi Jeong was unsure if he would have ever met his friends or if he would have ever become friends with them. Then there was Ga Eul.

 

Ga Eul whom he would have always lived next door too. Ga Eul whom he could have grown up ride alongside with. Ga Eul… Knowing that there could have been a better future for the two of them. But now...

“It’s really over.”

 

There was no doubt in Yi Jeong’s mind that after the way he had been acting he might have truly lost not only his brother, but his friends and he knew for a fact he had lost Ga Eul. Looking out to the river Yi Jeong sighed. His uncle had taken him out early in the morning to go fishing. Yi Jeong didn’t mind much, he liked the quiet.

 

It had given him some time to think. Of course, it helped that he’d stopped drinking. There were many things he had come to regret. Aside from Ga Eul, there was his brother. How could he fix his relationship with his brother now that things were finally out?

“Too much on your mind son?” Mr. Lee spoke to Yi Jeong.

 

Being called son felt weird to Yi Jeong. He wasn’t use to being treated kindly by anyone outside of his friends.

“You know it’s alright to talk to me. That’s what I’m here for.”
“You're not my father.” Yi Jeong spoke, he had not meant to sound rude, but it was the way he felt. He’d never had a father, he did not feel as though he needed one now.

“I know.” His uncle answered quietly.

“I’m aware that you have a father. But it does not hurt to talk your problems out to others.”
“I’m sorry.” Yi Jeong spoke sighing, trying his best to give in. Then again, he was still uncomfortable with sharing things and feelings which he himself was still unsure of.

“It’s alright.”
“When do you plan on going back to school?” His uncle questioned.

“Next week. I’ve taken too much time off and Jae Hee noona will probably drag me to school by my ears like she does Jun Pyo if I miss any more school.” Yi Jeong answered sincerely causing his uncle to chuckle lightly.

“That young woman does in deed look like the type to do that. Your aunt and I had a talk with her on the phone a few days ago… She seems nice and even offered to have Ariel transferred in if she wants to go to school with you and your friends.”

“How are things with your friends? Ms. Jae Hee also mentioned Il Hyun. He hasn’t come to visit you while you’ve been with us and he’s not answering our calls.”

 

Hearing his brother’s name and the mention of his friends made Yi Jeong feel uneasy. He was unsure of what to say and how to fix things. He’d left a long track of destruction dragging his friends and brother down with him through his Pitty party and it had not ended well.

“Son?”
“I’m ashamed to tell you what I did.” Yi Jeong answered truthfully.

“I’m aware you're no saint son.”
“Did Ariel say something?” Yi Jeong wondered to himself while his uncle silently looked out at the quiet river, the sun was beginning to set and Yi Jeong was unsure of when it happened or that they had been out fishing for so long.

“Ariel didn’t tell us anything.” Mr. Lee spoke causing Yi Jeong to relax.

“But I’ve raised a teenager myself and I know when something is wrong. Children when they are the loudest is when they are hiding something that they don’t wish for people to see.”
“Ariel… that child, my child… she smiles often, screams, laughs thinking we do not see her pain, and that her mother and I don’t know the trouble she has at school with people who misunderstand her. She forces herself to smile, thinking we as her parents cannot see her pain.. but we do see it.” Mr. Lee says turning to look at Yi Jeong.

“We know when you hide your pain and wish to have comfort. Ariel does not say much and we don’t ask that she tells us, but we remind her that we love her every day and we try to get her to smile genuinely.”

 

For a moment, Yi Jeong feels jealous when he thinks of how lucky Ariel is. She has great parents who support her and love her while he has nothing.

“I think I’ve lost my friends.” Yi Jeong admits.

“Are you sure? Can an apology not be enough to fix your regret? Shame can also be regret when we’ve wronged the people we care about. But if you apologize and your friends are real friends, they will forgive you.”

“Maybe.” Yi Jeong thought to himself but there was one thing he was sure of. Even if his friends could forgive him, Ga Eul would not.

“Come on. We should head back home for dinner.” His uncle spoke, standing up from where he was seated in a small chair. Following his uncle’s lead Yi Jeong stood up as well gathering the fishing rods and carrying the rest of the things they’d brought with them back to the car. Just like that they were off, heading back home in silence and giving Yi Jeong more time to reflect.

 

The past few mornings were a wonder to Yi Jeong. Every day he would be woken up by the sound of an alarm clock ringing at exactly 5am. Each morning Yi Jeong would feel confused and disoriented unsure of where it was he was and then he would remember and fall back asleep just as the shower was heard. Thirty minutes later another alarm would sound and soft unsteady footsteps would be heard as the person bumped into everything trying to head for the bathroom half asleep.

“Sorry Yi Jeong.” Ariel would sleepily say from down the hall before closing the door.

 

Yi Jeong didn’t mind much if anything he was starting to get use to it. It was weird, having to share a bathroom with three people. If the house had felt small to him, the bathroom was smaller than small, having absolutely no extra space. The shower and the toilet and sink appeared to be pushed together. There was no extra space and Yi Jeong had felt a little claustrophobic in there. The first time he took a shower there he was sure it had taken him less that five minutes to finish showering and getting dressed. Of course, what he had not anticipated was that when he came out his aunt, uncle and Ariel were waiting for him, so that they could have breakfast. When he sat with them they smiled and after giving thanks Ariel began to chatter away about school to her mother. His uncle didn’t seem to pay much attention, or so Yi Jeong had though. He had often seen his own father sitting at their large table at opposite ends of the room from both his mother and himself. Most of the time his father was enthralled in the newspaper to talk much less pay attention but his uncle would occasionally look up and ask Ariel a question. He’s been taken of guard when a question was directed at him. Such as how he was doing at school or if he planned on going that day.

 

Questions like these were simple, but they took Yi Jeong off guard and made him feel uncomfortable. For the next few days he would be asked questions like these every morning and at the end of it his uncle would leave kissing his wife and tell both he and Ariel to have a good day. Ariel would leave a few minutes later when Jae Ha would knock on the door ready to walk to school with her. Yi Jeong would receive a glare, which he was fine ignoring and then he would be taken to therapy. Therapy for his hand, had somehow become easier than counseling.

 

Yi Jeong was having a hard time talking to a stranger about his problems. He wanted no one to know what went on in his house and for the most part was more comfortable talking about pottery or his friends. It would take time but he hoped he might be able to talk soon.

 

“We’re back.”
Getting out of the car Yi Jeong sighed, avoiding Ga Eul was the hardest thing to do while living next door to her. Every morning he would see her leave for school and in the afternoons when she would come back he would see her go into her house or spend hours outside with both Ariel and Jae Ha lying on the grass, talking, laughing. Yi Jeong was glad that Ga Eul was smiling but part of him wondered if she thought of him from time to time or had she completely decided to not think about him anymore.

 

Time away from everything and everyone really gave him too much time to think and was giving him a good perspective as to what he had been doing with himself and what he wanted for himself. But could he get Ga Eul back?

 

{G}

 

The ride back home was quiet. Ga Eul was sitting beside Jae Ha on the passenger seat while Ariel quietly sat in the back and listened to music on her phone. There was a frown on her face while she was quietly thinking to herself and Ga Eul sighed. Looking at the bags beside Ariel Ga Eul bit her lip. After Jae Ha and Ariel had been asked to join them Jan Di and Jae Kyung had both insisted on buying a full outfit for both girls. Ariel had protested as had she but they were not given an option and were dragged to many stores in search of a perfect dress, shoes, and handbag. Ga Eul felt like a barbie doll that was forced to play dress-up. Her feet were aching from all that walking and she wondered just how Jae Kyung could managed to walk so much in heels without having to limp for the rest of the day.

 

A soft sigh from the back of the car made Ga Eul turn to look at Ariel once again, and then at Jae Ha who in turn offered her a mischevious smile. Ga Eul was very aware of the fact that Jae Ha would never see neither she nor Ariel as anything more than friends but his behavior today had certainly proved otherwise. At least she thought so. Jae Ha had gone out of his way to be extra caring towards Ariel, carrying her bags, complementing her, throwing his arm around her. Not that he did not put his arm around her already. In fact, Jae Ha tended to do that with her as well and most of the time he would carry things for them. But it was the way he smiled or got close to Ariel that made Ga Eul know he was trying to mess with F4, Ji Hoo in particular.

 

Thinking back to Ji Hoo Ga Eul bit her lip. She’d quietly observed Ji Hoo throughout the afternoon and noticed how quiet he’d been. Not that it was much of a change from his personality. It was a known fact that Ji Hoo was quiet and rather reserved but the atmosphere was different… think felt… tense. In fact, Ga Eul was sure Ji Hoo was avoiding Ariel who had attempted several times to get Ji Hoo to talk to her but the latter had simply ignored her by engaging in conversation with Jun Pyo and Woo Bin or just flat out ignoring her.

 

“You know. I think you shouldn’t meddle in their affairs.” Ga Eul spoke quietly to Jae Ha. She was sure Ariel was not listening because she had on earphones and the melody to G Dragons “Untitled” was clearly being played.

“I think it’s fun. Besides, aren’t you curious to know if he’s interested in her?” Jae Ha questioned.

“Shouldn’t you let them resolve it themselves? Ariel is already leaving soon and I think it’s putting pressure on both of them.”
“Then shouldn’t he speak up already?” Jae Ha questioned back.

“That’s not for you to decide. Sometimes people are too shy to express how they feel.”
“But that’s how you miss chances and lose the person you love.” Jae Ha spoke.

“Come on. We’re here.” Jae Ha spoke parking in front of Ga Eul’s house just as Ariel’s father parked beside them.

“Oh. We’re here.” Ariel spoke cheerfully, her expression changing from pensive to cheerful in the blink of an eye, though her eyes expressed something completely different.

 

Getting out of the car Ga Eul intended to head home but as she did so she stopped upon seeing the person beside Ariel’s father. So Yi Jeong.

A/N Thank you for reading