Chapter 3: Day 3: A lesson in honesty

Vulnerable Heart

Hey guys I know I’ve been taking long to post but please be patient I try my best to edit and as you can see the chapter are pretty long and they take a while to get from point A to Z. Anyways enjoy!

 

“Another restless night.” Ga Eul thought to herself.  It was hard to sleep with the guilt that seemed to be sitting on her chest with the weight of an elephant.  The look on Jae Ha’s face had told her how disappointed he was in her.

“I hate myself.” Ga Eul muttered to herself thinking back to everything that happened so far.

Part of her felt like she would be sick and when she got home that night, and her mother had prepared a nice meal for the family Ga Eul had taken all but two bites of anything.

 

Checking her clock, she realized it was 5 am and she sighed. Trying to get some sleep would be pointless much like eating because she had far too many dilemmas occurring in her life.

“Dating So Yi Jeong was a bad idea.”
She’d felt bad about Jae Ha hitting the man and would have understood if he ended their two week relationship. She had given him the option to do so that morning on more than a whim.

If Ga Eul couldn’t find the strength to break up with So Yi Jeong; than he was going to need to break up with her instead. There was this unsettling feeling that had begun to grow inside her stomach indicating that this was either a very bad idea, or Ga Eul was coming down with something. She sincerely hoped that it was the latter.

 

“I need advice.” She thought to herself reaching for her phone and sending a quick message to Ariel hoping that her friend was awake. There were never any coincidences when it came to her friend and she wasn’t all that surprised when her phone rang.

“Hello?” Ga Eul answered.

“Hey. Ga Eul. You need to talk? My mom asked me to wake an hour earlier to help her with our booth for tomorrow.”
“Tomorrow?” Ga Eul questioned.

“The annual festival. Our boss has a booth too. We’ve helped for the past two years. You help our boss and I help my mother with her fortune telling.” Ariel chirped happily.

“Right.” Ga Eul muttered to herself feeling idiotic for forgetting something that had been routine for the past two years.

“I’ll let you get back to your-”

“It’s alright Ga Eul. My mother woke me up an hour ago we don’t have much to do anyway. Do you want me to come over?” Ariel questioned.

 

Ga Eul really didn’t want to impose on anyone this early in the day when she knew Ariel’s family was busy, distinctly she could hear someone talk in the background before a “Hey” was spoken from Ariel and the sound of a phone being snatched away was heard.

“Ga Eul sweetheart this is Mrs. Lee. Please come over I would like to have a word with you.” Ariel’s mother spoke and upon hearing her Ga Eul was unsure of what to answer.

“Come on Ga Eul there’s no need to be afraid.” Mrs. Lee spoke a small laugh escaping her.  Ga Eul really didn’t want to go and “Talk” with Mrs. Lee knowing well the woman would more than likely want to predict more of her misfortunes. Still, Ga Eul realized that no matter what she needed to be respectful of Ariel’s mother and comply to her wishes.

“Alright.”

“Good.” The woman spoke before hanging up. Sighing in defeat Ga Eul began to get ready for her day quickly and then headed to Ariel’s place next door.

            The street was relatively cold and Ga Eul wished she was allowed to wear normal attire to school instead of her uniform which included a skirt. Though it looked like it wouldn’t rain today. She intended to knock on the door but before she could touch the door it was opened by Ariel’s father. The man offered Ga Eul a smile while he held a cup of coffee in his hand and took a sip.

“Come in side. Ga Eul. My wife and daughter are waiting in the back.” Mr. Lee spoke. Ga Eul found herself nodding to the man who reminded her of her own father. Mr. Lee was a very quiet and calm man, his face always serene though he wasn’t stern when it came to Ariel or his very eccentric wife.

 

            Bowing to Ariel’s father Ga Eul headed inside to the very back into a small room that she knew was specifically for Ariel’s mother to give people readings. From time to time Ga Eul would come over to talk to Ariel and both of their parents got along well. Though her mother was rather quiet and composed she seemed to have plenty of things to talk to with Mrs. Lee and Ga Eul liked the friendship Ariel’s parents had with her. There was a distinct odor coming from the room fresh mint and before Ga Eul could knock Ariel stood at the door with a smile which turned into an eye roll and then a scrunch of her nose as she stuck her tongue out rather comically.

“Come inside. Madam crazy will see you now.” Ariel spoke.

“Now, Now Ariel. Don’t sulk.” Mrs. Lee spoke while she began to cleanse the space around them with a few herbs. It wasn’t a big room. There was a small desk inside, three chairs, and a lot of plants and things that Ga Eul didn’t know what they were used for.

 

“I’m going to need to bathe in ammonia or bleach to get the stench out of my clothes again.” Ariel complained to Ga Eul who offered her friend a smile. Ga Eul knew that Ariel loved her mother dearly and she only joked about hating what her mother did because secretly Ariel enjoyed her eccentric mother and defended her when needed.

“Sit Ga Eul. Have some tea.” Mrs. Lee spoke to Ga Eul offering a warm smile. Her eyes, hair and even the way she smiled mirrored Ariel in everything. It was like gazing into Ariel’s future self a bit but the girl wasn’t gifted with such eccentric things like her mother.

 

There was no need for talking more than necessary when it came to Mrs. Lee giving a reading to anyone. Mrs. Lee would shuffle the cards herself and allow the person to pick the card pile they wanted once it was divided in three. Once it was spread in three small piles Ga Eul always felt her heart race. She turned to Ariel taking her hand for support and Mrs. Lee chuckled at their reactions.

“This isn’t life or death girls. Just destiny.”
“It well could be.” Ariel spoke to her mom who offered them both a smile.

“I’ve already told you girls that you’d live happy long lives but whatever it is that is on your mind right now Ga Eul you need guidance.”

“Right.” She thought to herself before deciding to pick the center pile.

 

            The aroma of herbs lingered around all three of them choking the air out until the smell of mint and various other herbs was all but making Ga Eul taste the suspension while she watched Ariel’s mother place the cards out. Some cards were placed upside down others upright. Ga Eul was no expert but she could see Ariel’s eyes widen from time to time and wished she also knew what the cards were saying.

“You certainly have a lot on your mind Ga Eul.” Mrs. Lee spoke.

“Your worried about your love life but you need not be because I do see two men in your future,”
“Two?” Ga Eul questioned gulping and feeling intimidated. She was never one to flirt and she hoped that this thing with Yi Jeong wouldn’t set other boys at her school after her she found the thought of attention chocking much like this room.

 

“What does that mean? Who?” Ariel spoke for her the grip she had on Ga Eul’s hand so tight Ga Eul feared Ariel would break it. Had this been any other situation Ga Eul would have laughed at how worried Ariel looked, almost like this was her own situation.

“Well.” Mrs. Lee continued.

“You’ve yet to meet one of them but you’ve certainly met the other already.”
“Jae Ha” Ga Eul spoke.

“Yi Jeong” Ariel said with a smile.

Mrs. Lee didn’t respond to either girl but simply continued.

“I see a lot of obstacles for you Ga Eul. There seems to be a lot of pain surrounding him. Your Soulmate.”
“Is he alright?” Ga Eul questioned.

 

Regardless if she knew the man yet or not he was still her one and only true love and she didn’t wish for him to be in any pain.

“It’s almost like he’s split in two. There’s two kings here Ga Eul” Mrs. Lee spoke.

“One is very chaotic, destructive, self hating. He’s in agonizing pain.” Mrs. Lee spoke and each word that she spoke almost brought Ga Eul to tears.

“His life is surrounded by loneliness and people who cause him to bleed with such self loathe.”
“Mother” Ariel interjected knowing Ga Eul was rather sensitive.

“But this man here. This other man Ga Eul.” Mrs. Lee continued with a smile.
“He’s kind, gentle, and he will love very much Ga Eul. You’ll be the light in his life and what will really make him happy. And you are going to love this man the way you’ve never loved anyone before. Your life will be rich and filled with joy and so much happiness.”
“You said. I’ve met one of them but not the other.”
“Your linked to both and in order to see one of them you must get past the other.”
“What does that mean?” Ga Eul questioned.

“It means you’re on the right path Ga Eul. You must follow your heart. It is essential that you do. Your fate happens to link itself to someone else’s happiness not just his and yours. It is your love that opens the door for someone else’s.”

 

            There’s a moment of complete and utter silence where the air begins to choke Ga Eul once again but before anything else an be said Ariel’s mother stands with a bright smile.

“Ariel remember to keep your schedule open today afterschool.”

“I’m working today.”
“Keep your schedule open” Her mother says before she leaves both girls alone to ponder what she has said to them.

“Wow.” Ariel speaks rather breathlessly.

“Ga Eul you are so lucky.” Ariel says and Ga Eul wonders briefly if her friend is crazy.

“Didn’t you hear what your mother said?” Ga Eul asked before she hears her phone buzz.

“Yes. I did. And Ga Eul true love.”
“You forgot about the part where we have a lot of obstacles.” Ga Eul spoke looking down at her phone to realize it was a message from Yi Jeong.

 

“Good morning Ga Eul-yang. I’m outside your house already.”

                                                                                    -Yi Jeong-

“Don’t all great love stories have them?” Ariel questioned with a smile as they exited her home. Sighing Ga Eul nodded and Ariel squealed happily when she saw Yi Jeong waiting for Ga Eul outside of his car. Ariel waved to Yi Jeong who offered her a very fake happy charming smile that caused Ga Eul’s stomach to churn horribly again. His eyes were once again chaotic and Ga Eul had hoped that he had not showed up that morning but it seemed like luck was not on her side.

            The school halls are empty. There’s not a student, teacher, or so much as a fly wondering the halls. Yi Jeong finds himself standing at the main entrance only to hear the first bell ring. The massive quake he feels under his feet make him hold on to the door. His first instinct is to head away from the school because no one is there but then he hears it.

“Yi Jeong.”
 

            The voice is soft, sweet, kind, holding warmth. It was a voice he hadn’t heard in so long it brought relief to his chest if only for a moment and he heads inside. The lockers all look the same but each room that he passes he sees his friends’ names. Jun Pyo, Jan Di, Woo Bin, Jae Kyung, Ji Hoo. He strangely notes that Ga Eul’s eccentric friend Ariel seems to have made the list though he wonders why that is but the next room makes him freeze. There’s a woman standing there. Her smile warm, her face glowing with contentment and it warms Yi Jeongs’ heart when she reaches her hand out to him.

“My son.” She speaks reaching to caress his cheek. She takes his hand and pushes the door open.

            The room is filled with dozens of toys, there are posters of Yi Jeong’s favorite cartoon characters all over the walls. In the middle of the room is a bed with space bed sheets to match his pajamas. He’s five again. His mother guides him to the bed and offers him a tired smile that back then Yi Jeong had not recognized as more than just worries. Heartache. His mother tucks him in and Yi Jeong smiles at her when she reaches to caress his cheek gently to offer him a smile.

“Read to me.” Five-year-old Yi Jeong says to her. His mother nods and reaches for Yi Jeong’s favorite book. It’s a story about a boy who goes on dozens of adventures. Each night he travels to different places and Yi Jeong always stays awake until his mother finishes reading each small story. His mother always kisses him goodnight on the forehead and then shuts his bedroom door.

           

Somehow, the scene in this dream changes and Yi Jeong can only see pitch black for the longest of times. He looks around wondering what happened to his younger self only to see a small light. He walks towards it and hears someone crying. Blindly he looks around for anything until he comes across a small light switch. It’s his room again only this time there are no toys, no space pajamas or bed sheets, and certainly no mother. His room holds no color and looks the same as an adults’ bedroom would. He’s only seven. Yi Jeong looks at himself and the heartache he feels at this makes him want to run but his feet feel glued to the floor and he is unable to move.

 

He remembers this moment. He remembers the pain. A knock in the room is heard and Il Hyun walks in he’s only 12. He had been exposed to his father’s cruel behavior and his mother’s pain longer but for Yi Jeong’s sake they had hidden it. His mother not wanting to harm Yi Jeong and his father simply not caring enough about him to spend any time with him at all. In the past his father’s indifference had hurt but that night for the first time Yi Jeong hated him. Tonight his mother wept and begged Yi Jeong to find his father after Il Hyun refused. What he saw breaks a part of Yi Jeong’s childhood innocence just a bit more. 

No longer had his parents hid their problems mostly because the dam that had kept his mother’s sanity somehow broke. Yi Jeong later finds out about the scandal involving his father and a woman who is pregnant. It is later just a rumor and after a secret DNA test that comes back negative his father is more cautious in that department but less with his wife.

The small flicker of a night light grabs Yi Jeong’s attention and he remembers being afraid of the dark after hearing his parents argue and the fact that there is no mother anymore.

“When are they going to stop fighting?” Yi Jeong asks Il Hyun.

“You shouldn’t have gone Yi Jeong. It’s not your responsibility or mine.” Il Hyun tells him gently.

“Hyung. Mother cried. I couldn’t refuse I thought that if I went to father I.”
“You saw him. Didn’t you?” Il Hyun states more than questions and Yi Jeong finds himself nodding.

            He remembers that day clearly. His father kissing that woman that wasn’t his mother and later Yi Jeong learns about more and see’s more. His father is shameless and coldhearted. Each time there is nothing but disgust and vile that rises up Yi Jeong’s throat which he drowns in alcohol and numbs his pain with . But now Yi Jeong is a kid again.

“Right now for just a second longer.” Yi Jeong things watching himself cry in his brother’s arms.

            The door opens abruptly and his mother storms in. No longer is there a smile on her face to warm him in fact that smile vanished a long time ago and became forced for the past couple months in small Yi Jeong’s life. This woman standing in front of him now Yi Jeong never forgets because it’s the way she is when things get low. Her hair is disheveled as are her clothes and she reeks of alcohol.

“Get him!”
“Go get him Il Hyun!” His mother begs to the eldest. Her voice sounding hysterical and desperate while tears run down her eyes and she shakes.

“No.” Il Hyun speaks and his mother rips Yi Jeong away from Il Hyun and slaps him. Il Hyun is frozen and there is red paint on his cheek Yi Jeong thinks.

“No mother. No matter how much you hit me. Or how much you beg I won’t do this anymore. You only hurt yourself and gain nothing from this.”
“Yi Jeong. You go get him.” His mother begs turning to him. Her grip on him is strong and Yi Jeong feels both his arms about to break and the red paint is now on his clothes. His mother reaches for his cheeks gently caressing them red paint now on his face. There is an odd smell to the paint. Almost metallic but Yi Jeong ignores it to answer his mother.

“No.” He says to her.

            His mother goes into a fit of hysteria and before she can hit him Il Hyun has protectively stood in front of him and taken another hit. His mother claws at them both in desperation and Yi Jeong is only scratched in his arm while his brother has a few gashes on his cheek. His mother falls to the floor and Yi Jeong can finally see her hands. She’s wearing a soft cream long sleeved blouse that is drenching itself slowly with blood not paint.

“Why?”
“Why?” He hears his mother cry. The doors swing open and a group of men dressed like doctors come in and grab at their mother who screams and struggles. A needle is taken out and Yi Jeong tries to help her but the grip his brother has on him tightens.

“She needs help Yi Jeong. Father is getting her help.” His brother says though Yi Jeong doesn’t miss the hate in his eyes. His mother is dragged away unconscious and his father is standing at the door. He looks at both boys and then leaves without a word. That is the moment Yi Jeong finally stops being a child and his heart builds a shell to keep people out.

 

            Watching this scene again Yi Jeong remembers his guilt again. From that night and for that remaining year Il Hyun sleeps in his bed with him because Yi Jeong has nightmares of his mother dying, of doctors taking him away or Il Hyun. Il Hyun is there for him every time and from then on he takes better care of Yi Jeong being mother, father, best friend, and older brother. Il Hyun is all the family Yi Jeong truly has and the only family Yi Jeong cares about; and he ruined everything.

 

            The guilt is starting to eat away at him again and Yi Jeong walks out of the room finally finding his footing and opens the next door. He recognizes this scene and wants to run again. He’s in bed with Eun Jae again. Even after Il Hyun has announced his love for the woman Yi Jeong cracks each time Eun Jae seduces him back. He’s aware of how twisted this all is and he knows if Il Hyun ever finds out he will never forgive him. The guilt comes only after the pleasure and Eun Jae is smiling at him again quite arrogantly.

“You belong to me Yi Jeong that is just a fact. Once you have everything in your hands I’ll come back.”

She tells him this each time and even when Yi Jeong gets angry and hates her, and tells her it’s the last time they both know it’s not true.

            This woman can make him forget and she numbs for days not just hours. That is why Yi Jeong keeps coming back to her. The engagement and his guilt is what has kept him away from Eun Jae these past six months. The door opens again and Il Hyun is standing in front of them the look of hate, disappointment, disgust, rejection is clearly written on his face and Yi Jeong runs out again. The next room is nothing but white and someone is standing there with a bright smile.

“Hi Yi Jeong!”

“Ariel?” Yi Jeong questions and the girl takes his hand.

“Isn’t this exciting? We can all see you now.” She speaks and Yi Jeong panics when he sees all of his friends there.

 He feels exposed and he tries to run but the next to grab him is Eun Jae.

“Come” She speaks to him walking further into the blank space. There are rows, upon rows, upon rows of women standing in the line. He doesn’t recognize any of them until Eun Jae stops him in front of Ga Eul.

“This latest one is pretty isn’t she?” Eun Jae questions.

“But she’ll become another faceless woman in your life just like the rest of them.” Eun Jae says and the closer Yi Jeong looks only makes him panic when he notices that all their faces are gone. Ga Eul is unmoving her face expressionless while she stands motionless in front of him.

“Ga Eul-yang” He calls out to her but then her face is gone and Eun Jae who is next to him begins to laugh. Yi Jeong tries hard to say her name again but he’s forgotten it. He tries again to remember her face and her eyes but he no longer recognizes it among all the women’s faces who suddenly begin to flash in his head. Eun Jae continues to laugh and it begins to hurt Yi Jeong’s ears.

“It’s only me Yi Jeong. No one else.” Eun Jae tells him.

 

            He wakes up with a jolt; sitting up from his bed with sweat trickling down his forehead and out of breath. The lights in his bedroom are and he hears a soft but devilish laugh.

“Some night huh darling?” Eun Jae speaks and for a moment Yi Jeong panic wondering if he’s once again broken the promise he’d made to himself only to realize he is fully clothed.

“What are you doing here Eun Jae?”

“I locked this door last night. How did you get in?”
“Il Hyun gave me the key. He asked a maid for it.” Eun Jae spoke standing in front of the desk Yi Jeong has at the far right side of his room. She smiles at him flirtatiously if not mischievously while holding his room key in her hands.

“Get out.” He snaps at her and Eun Jae laughs throwing her head back before composing herself. She looks at him with the subtle undertone of seduction she tries to pull off innocently as she walks toward his bed and sits there reaching to press her hand to Yi Jeong’s leg. He remains still and his face emotionless.

“We always have fun when we’re together Yi Jeong don’t deny either of us that pleasure.” She continues and Yi Jeong feels like screaming, and yelling for her to leave him alone but the fear of anyone hearing this conversation or having Il Hyun walk in keeps him silent.

“I’m seeing someone.”
Again, Eun Jae laughs and this time the say way she does in his nightmare and Yi Jeong cringes.

 

            Eun Jae doesn’t say anything and instead stands up to pace in front of Yi Jeong this time a glare is in her eyes as she pouts at him.

“We both know that’s bull Yi Jeong. When are you going to stop running away?” She questions him sharply.

“We’ve talked about his before. I care about my brother.”
“Please” Eun Jae scoffs.

“You are just like me Yi Jeong. We have no heart.” She tells him.

“Then why do you want me?” Yi Jeong questions.

“This isn’t love Yi Jeong it’s about money and . You’ve always known that and you have the things I need.” She tells him when Yi Jeong stands up from his bed she wraps her arms around his neck and clings to him. Yi Jeong refuses to meet her eyes and Eun Jae smiles seductively while leaning close to Yi Jeong to whisper in his ear.

“And I have what you need.”

Her hands go to his shirt and Yi Jeong moves away from her.

“Not anymore. If I need a cheap I’d pay for one. I like women with class.” He tells her coldly and Eun Jae laughs.

“Ga Eul- yang?”
 

            It’s the first time Yi Jeong has ever heard Ga Eul’s name be spoken with such venom and instinctively he feels the need to shield the girl only to realize she’s not there. Schooling his features Yi Jeong remains calm and Eun Jae laughs again.

“Isn’t she a ?”
“Every girl that you date belongs to that category.” Eun Jae continues.

Yi Jeong knows her game and maybe he spoke too much in his sleep he realizes, but he knows that Ga Eul isn’t here. He also realizes that even if he doesn’t care for the girl in a romantic way an innocent girl like her has now been branded something wrong on his behalf. Still, he keeps his composure and heads to his door to open it.

“Your right about that Eun Jae. Every girl I’ve dated falls under that category. So why should you be an exception?” He questions.

            It thrills him to see the anger that flashes in Eun Jae’s eyes and it is clear to them both that for now she’ll leave him alone. Without a word she heads out of his room and he closes the door. He waits until he’s sure she’s gone and the eco of her heels have faded to silence when he tosses a nightstand lamp across his room in anger. Eun Jae’s previous words making him angry and that very cryptic dream bringing emotions to him that he longed to bury each time something like this happened.

            Yi Jeong’s first instinct is to reach for a drink as he normally does when he’s upset and at the same time that urge to numb his pain with comes back and he reaches mindlessly for his phone that is placed on his nightstand. He scrolls through the endless names of women and it’s like reliving that nightmare all faceless until coming across Ga Eul. Her message to him the previous night and that dream still linger in his head. For now, she is his and he can still see her. Even if she can’t see him. He has half a mind to comply with Ga Eul’s wishes and never see her again if it means dissociating with him; because Yi Jeong knows Eun Jae’s words are true.

            His thoughts run to the previous day in the cafeteria and guilt weighs him down just a bit. He really has dragged an innocent bystander into his chaotic life. His mind goes to her words about his eyes and he feels bitter vile rise up his throat again.
“Maybe I’m not as unexpressive as I think.” He tells himself. There is also something in her eyes that makes Yi Jeong want to look at her again. Maybe it’s her innocence, or the fact that Ga Eul is so expressive in her own eyes that nothing is hidden within her. Everyone hides behind smiles or pain but Ga Eul is the first person Yi Jeong has seen who can’t fake emotion. There’s a knock on his door again and Yi Jeong glares thinking Eun Jae is coming in again but is surprised to see his brother Il Hyun.

“Are you coming down to breakfast or not?” Il Hyun questions.

“No. I’m late to pick someone up.” He tells his brother with a fake smile.

            He doesn’t know why but he feels like he can handle the rest of the time with Ga Eul for now. He remembers their date today and that makes him smile genuinely knowing he can pretend again, that nothing is wrong and forget for a few hours. This was his routine with women and Ga Eul would be no exception to that he was sure of it.

            The drive to school kept Ga Eul thinking of so many things she wondered whether this was still a good idea. Yi Jeong was smiling while he drove them to school but the way he was gripping the wheel, his posture, his eyes. It was always the same. Sure, Yi Jeong had only drove her to and from school for the past three days but in that small amount of time Ga Eul had learned that Yi Jeong felt so ... empty.

            There was something about him that always felt so forced. His smile, his charm, his laugh, everything down to the way Yi Jeong talked and walked felt so empty.

“You don’t have to work today Ga Eul- yang. We have a date today.” Yi Jeong tells her and he smiles, with that fake smile that makes Ga Eul want to cringe. To any other women who looked at So Yi Jeong they would swoon, including Ariel who seemed to fall for Yi Jeong’s handsome face but Ga Eul knew better. She couldn’t describe that feeling of knowing or why she knew it just was and there was nothing more to explain in her heart.

“Ariel isn’t working today her mother forbid her this morning. I need to-”

“I’ll take care of it.” Yi Jeong tells her and though Ga Eul wants to know how Yi Jeong doesn’t say anything more. The car falls silent again and the air stiffens. Part of Ga Eul wishes to speak up to Yi Jeong and though she’s not afraid of him, those wild eyes of anger do frighten her because they feel like a jar of unopened emotions ready to burst and she doesn’t wish to be at the end of that anger.

            Ga Eul’s mind wonders back to her soulmate. She thinks of the way he feels and hopes that him knowing she ever went out with So Yi Jeong doesn’t disappoint him. She can’t regret a kiss that she had no control over but she may as well keep regretting ever agreeing to dating So Yi Jeong and feeling like a pabo for it. They arrive at school and Yi Jeong opens the car door for her after stepping out himself. He places an arm around her waist that makes her feel uncomfortable when he pulls he close. She wants to cringe with the stares they once again receive. Her thoughts of panic are blurred with her racing heart very aware of everything So Yi Jeong is doing.

“Oppa your lip?” A girl in the very large crowd around them gasps and Ga Eul herself turns to look at Yi Jeong. There is a bruise on his face from the previous night and Ga Eul feels embarrassed for not noticing and guilty for being the cause of it. Yi Jeong doesn’t say a word to anyone but leans in close to Ga Eul.

“Let’s go Ga Eul-yang.” He tells her his voice gruff and so close to her that she can feels his breath on her neck causing her to gulp. His cologne smell lingers around them and she feels comforted by it somehow the scent nice reminding her of the ocean breeze. That small moment of comfort is shattered by his fake smile and Ga Eul simply looks away from him while they enter the school halls.

            The halls are a bit less crowded and Ga Eul frees herself from Yi Jeong’s grasp around her waist only to have him fake smile at her again once they reach his friends.

“Hi Ga Eul.” Jan Di and Jae Kyung chirp out to her in unison.

“Hi.” Ga Eul whispers back shyly to them.

“Hey man. Have you heard from Ji Hoo since last night?” Jun Pyo asks Yi Jeong.

“No. But I’m sure he’s at home sleeping of that hangover. He’ll be fine.” Yi Jeong answers and Ga Eul wonders what happened to the quietest member of F4 but refrains from asking.

“Will he really be?” Jan Di asks concern written on her face.

“He will be. He’s Ji Hoo.” Woo Bin interrupts walking over to Jae Kyung to place an arm around her.

“We’ll go see him later. Let’s just leave him alone for now. He’ll be fine.” Woo Bin says.

“Let’s just go to class.” Jan Di sighs waving to Ga Eul before heading off to her first class with Jun Pyo. Ga Eul doesn’t say anything and Yi Jeong doesn’t either both of them silently heading to class. Yi Jeong dropping her off with a smile though Ga Eul can only purse her lips when she walks in to first period and is met by glares.

 

            Her day consists of glares, snide comments, rude gestures and sometimes Ga Eul wonders if they’ll try to egg her again but it seems that the students to a certain extent have backed off. She can occasionally see Sunny, Honey and Bunny something or other glare at her but they never approach her. For that alone Ga Eul is glad; and she hopes that eventually the noise around her will die away.

 

Yi Jeong doesn’t feel like attending class today. The thought of feeling like a mindless drone of society for another second makes him want to kill himself. His day has already started with wanting to pull his hair out with the morning incident with Eun Jae and he has no time to think about physics or English, or any other subject that requires he try. Yi Jeong is on his way to his car again thinking of heading to his kiln away from the world and away from his problems when he is suddenly stopped by a cane to his hand rather harshly.

“Where are you going?”
 

            Inwardly Yi Jeong cringes when he realizes he’s been caught by the school principal and he does cringe when he realizes Jun Pyo’s sister is still waiting for an answer.

“Jae Hee Noona.” Yi Jeong speaks with a smile to her though Jae Hee simply keeps her glaring stance at him. Yi Jeong knows all too well that charming his way out of trouble with this woman will never work. She deals with Goo Jun Pyo all day and Yi Jeong knows he is nothing compared to the trouble Jun Pyo causes Jae Hee on a daily basis.

“Where are you going Yi Jeong?” Jae Hee asks again, her tone indicating to him that she will hit him if he doesn’t explain soon.

“Do I need to call your brother?” Jae Hee asks and Yi Jeong smiles at that. From the time they were children Yi Jeong could remember being friends with Jun Pyo, Woo Bin, Ji Hoo, Jae Kyung, Jan Di and even Seo Hyun. He also remembers how inseparable Jae Hee and his own brother were until Jae Hee went to study abroad and was married off to tome Hotel Heir.

“No. I’m just heading to see Ji Hoo. We’re all worried about him.” He lies to her but realizes maybe he should go check on his friend.

“I’ll be back by lunch Noona I promise.” Yi Jeong says and though Jae Hee glares at him it slowly softens in understanding.
“Fine. Make sure he’s okay and if your not back by lunch I’ll kill you.”
“Yes Noona” Yi Jeong responds to her with a smile.

“You should give a call to my brother though. He’d like to hear from you.” Yi Jeong tells her before getting in his car and driving away to head to Ji Hoo’s place.

            It takes Yi Jeong less than fifteen minutes to arrive at Ji Hoo’s place and when he does he can hear yelling from inside. It is clear to Yi Jeong that the firm voice is Ji Hoo’s grandfather and Yi Jeong wonders if he should leave but the old man calls his name and Yi Jeong has no choice but to walk in.

“Don’t worry son. I’m already through with him. You can talk to him.” Ji Hoo’s grandfather says before heading out of the house.

            Yi Jeong turns to look at Ji Hoo who is silent but that cringe as the door shuts makes Yi Jeong realize Ji Hoo is still working on his hangover.

“Thanks for the medicine.” Ji Hoo tells him and briefly Yi Jeong thinks of Ga Eul’s friend Ariel.

“A friend of a friend gave it to you” Yi Jeong states and though Ji Hoo gives him a questioning look he doesn’t say anything more.

“What bring you here?” Ji Hoo asks and though they both know the answer to the question and they both evade it.

“Want to play some poker?” Yi Jeong asks Ji Hoo who shrugs but complies to Yi Jeong.

They play quietly for hours Yi Jeong simply allowing his friend to talk only if he wishes and Ji Hoo knows that Yi Jeong won’t push him. The clock turns and Yi Jeong is almost out of money from his wallet though credit cards don’t count; when he realizes that it’s almost noon.

“I need to head back to school soon. Noona caught me and I need to go get Ga Eul-yang.”
            Ji Hoo says nothing to him and instead shows Yi Jeong a full house that causes Yi Jeong to sigh and Ji Hoo to smile when he receives more of Yi Jeong’s money.

“How is that going?” Ji Hoo asks and Yi Jeong pauses for a moment while they begin again getting new cards and trading others.

“Same as always.” Yi Jeong lies.

“Really?” Ji Hoo questions.

“I never pegged Chu Ga Eul as same as always.” Ji Hoo quotes back to Yi Jeong.

“She’s interesting.” Yi Jeong tells him.

“How so?” Ji Hoo asks.

“She’s…”
“Ga Eul-yang”
“Sounds to me like love.” Ji Hoo jokes and Yi Jeong scoffs.

“Love is for idiots who want their heartbroken.”
            His words silence the room and Yi Jeong feels like an .

“Sorry.”

“Last one all in.” Ji Hoo speaks to him ignoring Yi Jeong’s previous words.

“Ji Hoo.”
“Your right.” Ji Hoo tells him.

“Seo Hyun never really cared you know.”

“Not the same way I care for her.”

Yi Jeong wishes that Jan Di or Jae Kyung were here with him to cheer his friend up. He didn’t do feelings and Ji Hoo more than likely needed female comfort not his friend who was crippled when it came to feelings.

“You’ll find someone else.” Yi Jeong says and Ji Hoo laughs at Yi Jeong.

“I must really look pathetic if your suggesting I can find love again.” Ji Hoo says to him.

“Ji Hoo.”
“I’ll be back to school tomorrow. Don’t worry about it.” Ji Hoo tells him and Yi Jeong feels guilty again really wishing he had brought the girls along.

            Yi Jeong is missing. Ga Eul supposed that she was to wait for him outside the schools F4 lounge but when she peeked inside she couldn’t see him and she was a bit shy to text or call him thinking that he might find her needy.

“This is ridiculous.” She scolded herself for thinking that way. She couldn’t decide whether to go inside or not until Goo Jun Pyo peered outside the door looking very annoyed at her.

“Are you coming in or not?” He snapped at her causing her to blush before she was harshly pulled inside.

“You look like a lost duck out there.” Jun Pyo snapped at her.

“Shut up Jun Pyo” Jan Di snapped offering Ga Eul a soft smile though Ga Eul couldn’t seem to force her embarrassing blush down.
“Yi Jeong isn’t here he”
“He’s running a little late.” Jae Kyung interjected.

“You should just walk inside Ga Eul. Your part of our group now.” Woo Bin tells her.

“Yeah even if it’s just for two weeks.” Jun Pyo adds causing Jan Di to hit him in the head.

“Sorry about him. He has no filter and speaks out of his sometimes.” Jan Di tells her.

“I don’t!” Jun Pyo snaps back at Jan Di who ignores him.

“Help yourself to anything Ga Eul” Jae Kyung says to Ga Eul showing her toward the food that has been laid out for them. Ga Eul’s mouth waters but she politely declines and takes out her bento box. They all offer her a smile and when Jun Pyo takes her lunch box away she thinks that he’ll throw it only to have the Shinwa heir have some of the fish her mother has packed for her that morning with a new box.

“It’s good.” Jun Pyo tells her giving some to Jan Di who tough scolds Jun Pyo for his behavior, tries Ga Eul’s lunch. Ga Eul complies with the nice food that’s been laid out and somehow her small and simple lunch becomes the main dish while they all eat together.

 

            For the first time Ga Eul doesn’t feel out of place here and she realizes that Yi Jeong’s friends are really kind, a rarity among the rich.

“You have really good notes for history.” Jae Kyung tells her and Ga Eul blushes upon remembering how this whole Yi Jeong ordeal began.

“That was funny. It’s the first time I’ve heard anyone say something like Ew to being asked out by So Yi Jeong.” Woo Bin spoke and Ga Eul blushes at hearing this.

“Don’t worry. He’s just teasing.” Jae Kyung adds.

“Do you mind letting us borrow your notes from time to time. Jun Pyo is hardly passing any of his classes. I’d ask you to tutor him but no one has enough patience for that. He’s to stupid.” Jan Di tells her causing Ga Eul to laugh at the glare Jun Pyo sends Jan Di’s way.

“I don’t mind.” Ga Eul says to Jan Di.

“Can you start this afternoon? I think it would be good if you can tutor all of us. We’re doing okay in our classes but I could use the boost my father’s been going on about me being an example for all young women in Korea.” Jae Kyung speaks rolling her eyes.

“Just tell him you only lead monkeys.” Woo Bin jokes earning a pillow to the face from Jae Kyung who sticks her tongue out at him.

            Looking at the couples Ga Eul thinks back to what Ariel’s mother had said to her. Though the couples in front of her expressed their love in a way that Ga Eul had not seen she longed to have something special with someone. There was that look in both couples eyes that made Ga Eul smile and wish someone would look at her that way. Though Jun Pyo was a harsh man and Woo Bin seemed to enjoy joking around with Jae Kyung there was a look in their eyes like both Jan Di and Jae Kyung were their entire world that made Ga Eul want something just like that. It also made her realize that Jae Ha never looked at her that way.

“Sorry I’m late guys.”
Hearing Yi Jeong Ga Eul offers a smile his way and he throws a fake charmed smile her way, before sitting next to her. The gesture making Ga Eul feel more than a little rejected. Part of her wondered if she was ever going to get another genuine smile from So Yi Jeong ever again.

            Ga Eul looks at Yi Jeong’s friends and wonders if they notice that whenever he smiles or laughs it is always forced. She can see how nice and welcoming they are but wonders just how long Yi Jeong has put up a pretense for them not to notice he’s forcing himself. She feels a pang in her heart when she thinks about Yi Jeong never genuinely smiling at anyone.

“How is he?” She hears Jan Di ask Yi Jeong and Ga Eul assumes they’re talking about Ji Hoo only confirming it when Yi Jeong speaks.

“He’s holding up. He’ll be back to school tomorrow though.”
“We should go see him this afternoon and try to cheer him up.” Jae Kyung tells Jan Di.

“That sounds good. We’ll get him to talk to us.” Jan Di says.

“Actually I think it be best if we gave him some space.” Woo Bin interjects.

“No, he should talk to the girls instead of us.” Yi Jeong speaks and Ga Eul smiles to herself when she realizes that as cold as So Yi Jeong appears to be he cares deeply about his friends.

“Alright then. Ga Eul can just tutor both of us for today then.” Jun Pyo speaks up and Yi Jeong turns to look at her confusion in his eyes and maybe surprise.

“Tutor?”
“Yeah. She agreed to help us.”
“She has a job.” Yi Jeong points out.

“I can pay her more.” Jun Pyo shrugs. Ga Eul can see something flicker in Yi Jeong’s eyes and she realizes that maybe Yi Jeong doesn’t want to see her after these two weeks are done and her stomach churns uncomfortably.

“You can’t just force her to quit her job so she can tutor you Goo Jun Pyo.” Yi Jeong scolds his friend.

“It’s fine right Ga Eul?” Jun Pyo questions and Ga Eul bites her lip nervously unsure of what to say.

“It’s alright Ga Eul. Maybe you can tutor us during lunch instead we completely forgot about your job.” Jan Di tells her offering her a smile.

“That’s fine then.” Yi Jeong speaks up for her. Yi Jeong offers her a fake smile and Ga Eul relaxes when she realizes Yi Jeong isn’t upset with her.

            Ga Eul wonders if things will work out after today because she seems to be walking on eggshells with this man.

“What about today Ga Eul? It should be fine shouldn’t it?” Jun Pyo questions.

“We have a date.” Yi Jeong tells his friend.

“A date.” Jae Kyung and Jan Di both say in unison causing Ga Eul to blush when Woo Bin whistles. Yi Jeong doesn’t say anything but throws his arm around her shoulder and Ga Eul stiffens, heart racing and face burning in embarrassment.

“I was hoping you girls could help Ga Eul find something to wear.” Yi Jeong tells Jae Kyung and Jan Di who both nod and smile eagerly. They begin to tell Ga Eul all about the places they’ll go shopping but she fells overwhelmed.

“I can’t today. Ariel is taking the day off at the porridge shop and-”
“I’ve already sent someone to help at the shop.”
“You?” Jun Pyo scoffs.

“Fine you did but your getting one of my family’s rare potter pieces for your collection shouldn’t that cover this?” Yi Jeong tells Jun Pyo who shrugs. Realizing that she has no option but to comply and suddenly feeling uncomfortable all over again Ga Eul thinks of her friend Ariel to bring along with Jan Di and Jae Kyung who happens to have a day off thanks to her intuitive mother.

“Is it alright if I bring a friend to shop with us?” She asks Jan Di and Jae Kyung who agree with her excited to meet someone knew. Ga Eul suddenly wishes she can bring Ariel on the date as well because she hopes maybe then it won’t be so awkward with how bubbly her friend is; but she realizes she’ll be on her own.

           

            Ga Eul sends a text to Ariel asking her to join her afterschool and finds her friend outside the local Shinwa mall. Ariel is smiling rather brightly as she waves in excitement to Ga Eul who merely forces a smile on her lips. Jan Di and Jae Kyung however both smile brightly at Ariel.

“Konichiwa.” Ariel speaks to both girls who respond back using the same Japanese greeting.

“This is Ariel. My best friend. She works at the porridge shop with me.” Ga Eul tells Jan Di and Jae Kyung who offer Ariel a smile.

“Let’s get you ready for your date Ga Eul.” Jae Kyung speaks to her with a smile though Ga Eul feels a nervous dread cloud over her upon thinking that in a few hours she will be going on an official date with So Yi Jeong.

            They go into several shops trying to find “The right outfit” as Jae Kyung claims and Ga Eul thinks that Woo Bin wasn’t kidding when he said Jae Kyung was indecisive. She was beginning to feel like a Barbie doll with everything that Jae Kyung, Jan Di and even Ariel made her try on. Her friend who she had thought would be of some sort of help for her or comfort had deserted her and was currently in a deep discussion with Jae Kyung and Jan Di about her favorite K-pop bands.

“We should go to Karaoke together sometime.” Jae Kyung spoke to her.

“Are you kidding! I love Karaoke. But Ga Eul is always to shy to participate and Jae Ha can’t sing a tune to save his life.” Ariel chirped causing Ga Eul to smile. She had forgotten how infectious Ariel’s behavior was when it came to other people. She had an effect on anyone to make them smile even when it was hard to do so.

“Yeah. The guys would really love that.” Jan Di spoke sarcastically though she playfully rolled her eyes and offer Ga Eul a smile.

“We should go tomorrow.” Jae Kyung encouraged.

“I wish I could but I have to help my mom out tomorrow for the festival.” Ariel spoke with a pout though her eyes still shined with happiness.

“Festival?” Jan Di questioned.

“Yeah it happens every year. Our neighborhood arranges it and people from the block come its kind of a big thing we get a Ferris wheel and carnival games.” Ariel explained.

“What does your mom do?” Jae Kyung asked and Ga Eul can see Ariel look nervous Ga Eul’s heart goes out to her friend.

 From the moment they met Ga Eul knew it was hard for Ariel to make friends with what her mother did for a living. While a lot of people liked her mother’s psychic abilities there were also a few people that believed her mother was crazy and often picked on and whispered about Ariel and her family.

“She’s a psychic.” Ariel spoke her eyes hardening as if waiting for someone to say the wrong thing.

“A psychic! That’s so cool!” Jae Kyung spoke with excitement.

“Does she read palms and cards?” Jae Kyung spoke with a smile.

“Ji Hoo knows how to read cards and sometimes he’ll let us know things when we ask him to. He says we’re pretty boring because he knows us and he doesn’t want to know about our business with his friends.” Jan Di spoke with a smile.

“Is she any good?” Jae Kyung questioned Ariel.

“She’s never been wrong about anything.” Ga Eul spoke up.

“Ever.” Ariel emphasized.

            Ga Eul watched smiles appear in Jae Kyung and Jan Di’s faces before the girls proceeded to ask Ariel more questions about her mother. Ariel seemed happy to answer telling them what her mother had foretold about her future with the New York guy.

“It sounds so romantic.” Jae Kyung spoke.

“Yeah. It does. You two are lucky” Jan Di spoke to Jae Kyung and Ariel.

“Woo Bin is always so nice and caring and Ariel is going to meet the perfect guy while I’m stuck with a boy who swears he did not eat my glue in first grade or cut my hair.” Jan Di spoke causing all three other girls to laugh.

“But you love him anyway. That’s what makes love so beautiful.” Ariel chimed in.
“Can you read cards?” Jae Kyung questioned.

“Yes. But I’m not as good as my mother I’ve only learned a bit from her but I have no psychic gift.” Ariel spoke.

“Here try this one next Ga Eul” Jae Kyung spoke to Ga Eul handing her a pink dress.

“I’m sure this will be the one.” Jae Kyung adds before pushing her into the dressing room and telling Ga Eul that their next stop is hair and makeup.

            Sighing Ga Eul goes inside the dressing room and has another nervous breakdown when she realizes how revealing the dress is. It is completely open in the back and though it leaves things to the imagination it doesn’t really feel like her style. She can hear Jae Kyung, Jan Di and Ariel all discussing Yi Jeong. Ariel telling Jae Kyung and Jan Di about how she knows Yi Jeong’s two-week rule.

“Honestly now I kind of feel like we’re sending Ga Eul as a sacrifice.” Ariel speaks.

“Yi Jeong is a player but he would never harm Ga Eul” Jae Kyung speaks and Ga Eul assures herself of that remembering him saving her. However, this date makes her nervous because she’ll really have to talk to Yi Jeong and she wonders whether or not the two have anything in common at all. While she realizes this isn’t by any means a real relationship, it certainly feels like a real date and this being her first anything makes her nervous.

            Looking at herself in the mirror in front of her Ga Eul spins slowly to see every angle of herself feeling a bit silly by doing this. She always felt women who did such a thing were vain but all she cared about was the amount of skin that was showing.

“Are you done Ga Eul?” Comes Ariel’s voice.

“It’s too much.” Ga Eul expresses to them.

“It’ll be fine. It’s a pretty dress Ga Eul.” Jae Kyung says. A hand pushes its way through the dressing room and Ga Eul see’s a pair of heels.

“Put these on. You look like you have the legs for them.” Jae Kyung explains causing Ga Eul to blush. Still, she puts the heels on and walks out carefully trying her best not to fall. Gasps are heard and Ga Eul blushes.

“I think it’s too much.” Ga Eul whispers.

“Too much? Are you blind? You’ll knock his socks off!” Ariel explains in excitement. For a moment Ga Eul wants to scream traitor at her friend again especially after a few moments ago she had been concerned about Yi Jeong’s intentions with her.

“You might as well wrap a bow on me already.” Ga Eul thinks sarcastically while panicking inwardly.

“She’ll look even more gorgeous after her hair and makeup are done.” Jae Kyung exclaims.

“You’ll be fine.” Jan Di assures Ga Eul, offering her a smile.

 

            The girls proceed to send Ga Eul to the salon inside the mall and Jan Di and Jae Kyung let her know that Yi Jeong will pick her up outside the mall in a few hours when she is done. They exchange numbers with Ariel and then decide to take her home.

“We’ll drop you off at home and go to Ji Hoo’s house to cheer him up.” Jan Di says to Ariel.
“You guys should all come to the festival. Bring your friend along it will be good for him to be distracted.” Ariel says. Though they had not told her or Ga Eul what was going on from what she understood Ji Hoo was going through some sort of heartbreak.

“See you Ga Eul remember to invite Yi Jeong to the festival.” Ariel reminds her before she leaves with Jae Kyung and Jan Di.

            The place feels a little overwhelming. There are plenty of women inside the salon and all of them look filthy rich. Shinwa mall isn’t specifically for wealthy people but this specific salon is. Jae Kyung and Jan Di had paid for everything letting her know in the end that Yi Jeong would pay them back later. Ga Eul didn’t quite understand why he would pay for her things but promised herself to pay him back. She figured Yi Jeong was taking her somewhere expensive and the thought of that made her even more uncomfortable. Ga Eul thought of herself as someone with a comfortable but simple life style and wasting money on something that wasn’t necessary but an exaggerated luxury was definitely not on her list of wants.

“Getting ready for a date are we Ga Eul.”
            The ringing that Ga Eul felt in her ears at the noise made her want to cringe.

“I would ask what you’re doing here but I know Yi Jeong probably paid for all this.” Sunny speaks again.

“You don’t look half bad for a commoner about to herself out for a good meal.” Sunny speaks and Ga Eul remains quiet trying to ignore the girl though she clenches her fists and grabs at the end of her dress. The scrunched yet silky material offering no type of release from her anger.

“Don’t you want to know where you’re going?” Sunny asks her again.

“I can tell you how your date will go and how it will end.” She continues with a fake smile her eyes piercing that they make Ga Eul want to step away from the obvious angry girl sitting next to her calmly getting her hair done.

“He first takes you to a very expensive restaurant.”
“He’ll asks for the finest wine and the special of the night.” Sunny continues.

“He’ll complement your good looks,”
“Even if you have none.” She adds with cold eyes and Ga Eul can feel her stomach churn.

“He’ll smile, say all the right things to a girl and before you know it you’re in bed.” Sunny says to her making Ga Eul stand and try to leave. She’s done anyway and was just about to get up before Sunny came.

“After that the next few days will be a blur of bodies and pleasure until he discards you for something better,”
“Or worse” Sunny tells her though Ga Eul is already headed toward the door. Sunny’s next words however stop her in her tracks.
“Don’t think you’ll be an exception Chu Ga Eul. If a woman of my caliber could not keep So Yi Jeong a girl such as yourself could never dream of it.”

            Yi Jeong doesn’t think tonight will be any different then any other “date” he’s ever had with a woman. Though silently he reminds himself that there is no hope, want, or need; to bed an innocent girl like Chu Ga Eul. He’s expecting to see Ga Eul at the front of the mall like he had explained to Jae Kyung but he doesn’t see her. Briefly Yi Jeong thinks of his friends and the behavior they all displayed today. It was extremely strange for his friends to ever warm-up to any girl he ever brought around. If anything, his friends avoided his wrecking ball of women like the plague.

“Ga Eul is different. Don’t hurt her.” Jan Di had messaged him previously and Yi Jeong sighed looking through the crowd of people and wondering if he would have to go inside the large Shinwa mall in search of the innocent country bumpkin.

“Sunbae.”
The timid voice caused Yi Jeong to turn in it’s direction but the minute he did he felt his jaw drop.

            There was a very beautiful woman standing in front of him. Her shy yet curious eyes showed nervousness and her beautiful pouty lips were pursed together as she gazed at him. It took Yi Jeong a second to asses that the beautiful woman standing in front of him wearing a very complementary pink open back dress was the innocent little country bumpkin he had been calling his girlfriend for the past three days.

“Ga Eul-yang?” Yi Jeong spoke though it sounded more like a question and he realized he’d said a little too much with his phrasing of her name when Ga Eul blushed.

“I didn’t want to wear this but Jae Kyung wouldn’t let me try on anything else.” Ga Eul whispered. Not wanting to embarrass Ga Eul further and trying to put her at ease Yi Jeong offered her a charming fake smile.

“You look beautiful Ga Eul-yang” Yi Jeong spoke reaching for her hand and giving it a soft kiss which made the girl blush.

“Shall we go?” He asked her to which Ga Eul nodded and allowed him to open his car door for her. Her soft scent of cherry blossoms hit him gently and he wondered what she was thinking.

            Ga Eul did not seem to be aware of his glances whenever they came to a stop and Yi Jeong’s ego was when he realized Ga Eul was more than likely nervous. Through the entire ride to the restaurant which Yi Jeong made a reservation for every week; he had to remind himself that this date would not end the same way many other’s always had. Upon arriving at said restaurant, Yi Jeong opened Ga Eul’s door and with an arm around her waist led her inside.

“This way to your table Mr. So.” The hostess at the front of the restaurant speaks offering him a smile. Yi Jeong’s table is usually in the center of the restaurant not minding the stares he receives from being with beautiful women and this will be no exception to him. Tonight Ga Eul is breathtaking and attention is clearly on her when they walk in.

“Sunbae.” Comes Ga Eul’s shy voice again and Yi Jeong simply sends her a fake charming smile her way hoping to calm her as he pulls a chair out for her.

            A waiter comes over to their table seconds after Yi Jeong himself sits across the table from Ga Eul.

“Would you like the nights special Mr. So?” The waiter asks.

“Yes.”
“Any specific wine for the night sir?”
“Ga Eul-yang what would you like to have?” Yi Jeong asks her. There’s a flicker of something in Ga Eul’s eyes to fast for Yi Jeong to catch as she looks at him.

“I don’t drink.” Comes Ga Eul’s soft voice.

“Water then?” He questions and Ga Eul simply bites her lip but nods to him.

“I’ll have your best wine I suppose.” He says to the waiter who nods to him and bows before leaving. Yi Jeong offers Ga Eul another smile and he reaches for her hand the way he’s done with so many other women in the exact same place.

“You look beautiful Ga Eul-yang.”
            Yi Jeong feels Ga Eul pull her hand away and she looks down quietly.

“You’ve already said that.” She tells him.

“That’s because I mean it Ga Eul-yang.” He tells her with his fake charming smile. The wine is brought out to him and he does wish she would have a drink with him but instead he continues to smile as he takes a sip of his wine.

“I am sorry about this afternoon. I didn’t mean to leave you alone.” He tells her.

“It’s alright. Your friends are nice. Not how I expected them to be. But in a good way.” Ga Eul tells him softly.

“That’s good then.” Yi Jeong tells her.

“I noticed that Ji Hoo was gone again. Is he alright?” Ga Eul asks and Yi Jeong can see genuine concern in her eyes. He’s not about to share information on Ji Hoo’s personal life but he’s willing to say what is necessary.

“He’s alright.” He tells her hoping that his answer is enough and it seems to be because Ga Eul nods at him silently and moves on to speak about something else.

“Sunbae.”
“Yes Ga Eul-yang”

“There’s a festival in my neighborhood tomorrow. I was wondering if you’d like to come?” Ga Eul asks her voice soft.

“Sure.” He says with another fake charming smile.

“Oppa!” 

            There is a group of girls that come toward their table and Yi Jeong offers them a fake charming smile. He doesn’t remember their faces but they ask how he’s been and Yi Jeong can only be polite through small talk. He’s aware of shy Ga Eul silently listening while the five women in front of him all ask him to call them so they can all have some fun again and Yi Jeong agrees to that though he has no idea who they are. He’s sure that if he’s slept with them he has their number in his phone. However, putting a face to all those numbers is hard. Most of the time he’ll dial randomly and it’s more of a surprise each time he sees a face that should be familiar but ends up forgetting again by the next day.

“See you later Oppa,” The girls all say heading to their own table and Yi Jeong casually turns to Ga Eul and offers another fake charming smile.

“Sorry about that. I.”
“Sunbae.”
“Do you always bring girls here?”
The questions takes Yi Jeong by surprise but before he can answer the waiter finally comes with their food and sets it on the table. Yi Jeong thanks the man and offers Ga Eul another fake charming smile though the girl is no longer paying attention intently looking down at her clasped hands on her lap.

“Ga Eul-yang?”
“Sorry. This was a mistake.” Ga Eul speaks getting up to leave.

            There’s something inside his chest that sinks and Yi Jeong quickly pays for their uneaten food and rushes after Ga Eul. He doesn’t understand what happened but clearly she was upset about something. His mind works fast and he thinks it was due to the disturbance of those women. He can see Ga Eul walking along the street rather quickly in heels and Yi Jeong runs after her managing to catch up with her and grabbing her by the arm.

“I’m sorry about them Ga Eul I assure you it won’t happen again.” Yi Jeong says to her offering her another fake smile.

“Stop it!” She snaps at him her tone angry and taking him completely by surprise. There are tears in Ga Eul’s eyes and Yi Jeong starts to panic wondering if he’s about to be seen as a bad guy on the street while a girl cries in front of him.

“Why do you keep doing that?” She questions her eyes sad and disappointed.

“I’m sorry Ga Eul-yang I really don’t know those girls I was just being poli-”

“I’m not talking about them Sunbae. I don’t care about that.” She tells him.

“I’m aware of the fact that you date women more than a bear hibernates for the winter.”
“But Sunbae.” Ga Eul tells him tears forming in her eyes.
“Even if this is all fake and neither of us has an interest in being with one another. I hoped we could be friends.”
“I no longer wished to do this for Jae Ha but you asked that I at least consider this date as a trial for the next two weeks but I can’t keep doing this anymore.”
“Ga Eul”
“I can’t stand it any longer. How can I be around a person who keeps forcing himself to smile the way you do?” She questions her words causing him to freeze and find no words to speak.

            There’s a look in her eyes that tells Yi Jeong that Ga Eul is both sad and very much angry with him.

“You always force yourself to smile around me and if you can’t stand me then why do you-”
“It really isn’t like that Ga Eul-yang” He hears himself say though his voice sounds coarse to his ears.

“Not just me but with everyone else? Why do you do that Sunbae?”
“Why do you hide what you feel?”
Yi Jeong feels so exposed at the moment but can’t seem to find words or voice anything. His throat has gone dry as he stares at Chu Ga Eul without knowing what to say.

“Yesterday you were so upset with me for being careless. You had every right to be upset but instead of scolding me for my carelessness or voicing out your concern you pretended that things were okay.”
“If you were angry you should have said something!”
“Jae Ha hit you and you should have hit him back for his careless behavior.”
“Smiling is a good thing Sunbae.” Ga Eul finally speaks with a calm and soft tone.

“But only when it’s genuine. Otherwise. You should let other emotions show.” She finally says to him.

“I’ll send you the dress and everything else later Sunbae. Good bye.”
            For a second more Yi Jeong remains quiet in his place watching Ga Eul walk away. Part of him very afraid at her words because she’s seen through his act but the other part makes him chase after her because she’s right and he tells himself that he needs to keep going with this because he is So Yi Jeong and he doesn’t get dumped especially by a commoner.

“Ga Eul-yang wait.” He calls out after her again and she stops though she doesn’t turn to look at him. He smiles as he approaches but her words are still in his head and he stops. He takes his coat off and places it on her shoulders. She turns then and there’s that look in her eyes of pain that reminds him of his younger self and guilt and so many more unwanted emotions flow through him that he decides it really is enough.

“At least let me give you a ride home. I can’t let you walk all by yourself.” He tells her calmly.

“This is the last time I’ll bother you. I promise.” He tells her and she silently follows him to his car. He opens the door for her and then heads to the other side of the car to get on the drivers’ side.

            The ride is quiet and there are so many questions that linger in his head. The most prominent one being how she could know and look past his armor so easily. He feels guilty as he goes over his behavior these past few days. Dragging an innocent girl into a world as twisted as his that was not meant for a purity like hers. He was a bastard and the worse part was he didn’t want to walk away. They arrive at her house and they both sit in the lingering silence for what feels like hours. He’s trying to find the right words to tell her but nothing comes to mind except a single phrase.

“I’m sorry.” Yi Jeong says to Ga Eul who quietly turns to look at him.

“I don’t know about.”
“Your right about me.” He tells her.

“I’m a prick.”
“I just.”
“I never said that Sunbae.” Ga Eul assures him softly.

“I might have over reacted just a bit but I was overwhelmed. I don’t fit in with a fancy crowd.”

“I take everyone there.” He tells her and the car goes silent again.

“I’ve always done this. Aside from F4, Jan Di and Jae Kyung. I don’t have many friends.” He admits though he’s unsure as to why he’s telling her this. Maybe it’s to ease away some of his guilt to her for today or maybe because deep down he hopes someone can hear it.

“Quantity really isn’t such a big deal. It’s about quality. All your friends seem to be kind Sunbae.”
“I don’t have many friends either. The school doesn’t really.”
“Ariel and Jae Ha are my only friends. So you are better of than me in the friendship department as well.” Ga Eul tells him with a soft smile.

“I really am sorry about all this Ga Eul. I shouldn’t have dragged you through all this.”
“It’s alright Sunbae.” Ga Eul tells him.

“I really wish I’d given you a better impression of myself to you but I won’t ask that you keep this two-week thing up with me.” He says to her.

“I wish the same thing.” She tells him and that only makes him feel guiltier.

“I think my own behavior caused just as much trouble. I’ve been very over judgmental because I was feeling overwhelmed.”
 

            Ga Eul’s answer takes him off guard and Yi Jeong wants to assure her she did nothing wrong when she looks up at him a firm gaze in her eyes that has not been there since they met.

“Were you planning to sleep with me Sunbae?” She asks him. The question lingers for a few seconds and Yi Jeong wonders what Ga Eul is thinking. He doesn’t lie to her because he knows she’ll know he’s lying.

“No. I never thought this would lead to anything.”
“Then why did you ask me to go out with you for two weeks knowing this Sunbae. You could have asked anyone else and.”
“I hate being lonely.”
The words are out of his mouth before he can stop them and he turns to look away from Ga Eul ashamed, exposed, and very embarrassed at himself.

“Okay Sunbae.”
            Ga Eul doesn’t say more and Yi Jeong wonders what exactly it is she’s talking about and turns to look at her again.

“I’ll keep going out with you for the remaining two weeks.”
“You don’t have to I-”

“I want us to be friends Sunbae. We can still do this but I hope you can be honest with me and we can get to know each other as friends.”
“Maybe after this ends we can still be friends.” She tells him.

“So instead of dating. Your asking for a friendship trial period?”
“Essentially.” Ga Eul tells him with a smile. Somehow the thought of that relaxes him and Yi Jeong can see himself being friends with a girl like Ga Eul.

“Alright.” He says to her and Ga Eul offers him a kind smile.

“Good night Sunbae. I’ll see you at school then?”
“Can I still come and pick you up?” He decides to ask hoping he’s not pushing his luck with Ga Eul.

“Okay Sunbae. Good night.”
“Good night Ga Eul-yang” Yi Jeong tells her.

            Ga Eul watches the car drive away and finally she feels at ease with this. Her intention was to sever all ties with Yi Jeong at first but that look in his eyes and the way he had spoken to her moments ago made her realize how lonely Yi Jeong was. In that confession of loneliness, she received from him she thought of her soulmate. The way Ariel’s mother had described him made her feel sad. Somewhere out there he was feeling the way Yi Jeong was and Ga Eul hoped that by helping this man, this friend; she could help her soulmate one day as well.

            She had learned more about Yi Jeong in these past few minutes than she had learned the past few days. She had not been able to decipher what his eyes stood for but now she did. Loneliness, and want for comfort.

“I’ll be there for him.”
“I’ll be his friend.” Ga Eul thinks to herself. She can’t understand why Yi Jeong won’t share his sorrows with his friends but she realizes that if she were always surrounded by happy couples she might not want to rain on their parade with her problems either.

            The cold night air flies past her and Ga Eul pulls her coat closer only to realize it is Yi Jeong’s jacket. The soft cologne lingers around her for comfort and she smiles softly knowing she has made a new friend. Ga Eul takes a step only to see Jae Ha in front of her. Neither of them speak a word and simply look at each other. There’s a look in Jae Ha’s eyes that tell her he won’t speak first and knows she has to.

“Oppa. I’m sorry.” She confesses to him.

“I didn’t know how to tell you about Yi Jeong he.”
“He’s bad news Ga Eul.” Jae Ha tells her.

“I’ve asked around. I’ve heard about him he.”
“It’s not true Oppa.” Ga Eul cuts him off.

“Yi Jeong Sunbae is kind. He’s misunderstood but. He’s kind.”

 

            For a moment Jae Ha looks at Ga Eul and then he sighs in defeat.

“Do you remember that cat you found in the park. When we were kids.”
“Cinnamon.” Ga Eul remembers.

“Do you remember how it would bite and scratch at anyone who would get close to it?” Jae Ha asked Ga Eul who smiled at the memory. Cinnamon was a small dark orange kitten she and Jae Ha had found as children and Ga Eul seeing a small animal in need decided to help the poor thing.

“I remember.” Ga Eul tells him with a smile.

“We went to the park for an entire week and you would try to coax it out with food and milk but each time you approached it and set the food down for him, he would scratch and bite you.”
“Eventually he came to me and I brought him home.” Ga Eul spoke remembering how the cat had been long gone. He was hers since she was five and he had passed away when she was fifteen.

“He loved me very much.” Ga Eul said to him.

“You can’t save all the strays Ga Eul. Yi Jeong isn’t a pet.” Jae Ha tells her quietly; approaching her with a soft look in his eyes that makes Ga Eul realize he was never really angry at her.

“This time you won’t just have a few scratches and bites. I hope you understand that.” Jae Ha tells her hugging her tightly in his arms. She smiles and feels happy at his concern for her. She feels warmth and care from him and can only pull herself closer to that comfort.

“I know.” She tells him.

“But Oppa. I’ll be fine.”
“My heart won’t be compromised.”
Jae Ha doesn’t say anything more instead he kisses Ga Eul on the forehead and pats her head affectionately.

“I’ll always be here Ga Eul. Remember that.” He tells her before walking across the street to his own house.  With a soft smile Ga Eul enters her house feeling like somehow things are going back to their original place. That night for the first time in two days, Ga Eul finally sleeps.

***

Thank you for reading.