Chapter 2: Day Two: Wild Eyes

Vulnerable Heart

Hey guys sorry for the delay. I hope you enjoy!

***

The clock read five am and Ga Eul found herself unable to sleep. The past few hours she had spent staring at the heart on her ceiling.

“Chu Ga Eul you pabo” She muttered to herself once more before turning to the right side. She had spent most of the night contemplating her stupid decision. Instinctively her hand went up to her lips.

“Pabo, Pabo,” She chanted.

“I even hit him for kissing me.” She muttered to herself turning to face the ceiling again only to cover her face with a pillow when she felt her face grow hot.
“Wait. This isn’t my fault.” Ga Eul thought sitting up on her bed and frowning.

“That jerk told me he wouldn’t try anything. It’s not my fault I slapped him.” She reminded herself only to sigh when she realized she had agreed to his plan.

“Jae Ha. When will you notice me?” She wondered to herself sadly.

            It was stupid on her part really. Once Yi Jeong had mentioned a remote chance to acquire the person she desired most she had complied with his wishes. Now however, she was afraid that Yi Jeong would take advantage of her. Turning to the left side where her pink wall was decorated in memories she saw a laser figure of a cat and turned abruptly. Reaching for her own laser pointer she flashed the pink flower figure across the street. Her heart raced when two flickers came back and quietly she stood from her bed and turned her alarm off. Putting on her fluffy pink slippers and grabbing her coat to put over her pink pajamas with bunnies she climbed out of her window and headed to the front of her house. From across the street Jae Ha waved happily at her before walking over to her and sitting on the porch beside her.

            From the time they were children they had developed a code to talk to each other without their parents knowing. Jae Ha’s older brother had given them the lasers as children and Jae Ha had the idea to use them as code to sneak out and talk if there was ever an emergency. Through the years things had always been playful. Jae Ha would want to play with her or even give her an early birthday gift, Christmas gift, or vise versa. Now that they were older however, the most meaningful conversation they had ever had was when Jae Ha had cried over his elder brother leaving to study abroad. Ga Eul remembered not knowing how to comfort Jae Ha only telling him that things would be okay. These days however, when Jae Ha seemed to have a problem it amounted to girl troubles and Ga Eul would often listen with a fake soft smile that hurt her cheeks while she gave words of encouragement that left her feeling bitter.

            A long moment of silence lingered amongst the two while the cold air whistled past them and then, Jae Ha sighed.

“Melanie thinks you like me.” Jae Ha spoke to her calmly.

“What?” Ga Eul questioned feeling her heart race.

“It’s silly I know.” Jae Ha quickly corrected himself.

“She claims you purposely dragged me away from our date”
“Oppa. I would never-”

“I could never,” Ga Eul stuttered out.

“Relax. Okay.” Jae Ha spoke resting his hand on Ga Eul’s back gently, slowly rubbing up and down to try and calm her. Though it had the opposite effect on Ga Eul.

“I know it’s not true. We’ve been friends since we were children I’ve explained this to her countless of times before meeting you but. Ga Eul.” Jae Ha spoke with a smile.

“Melanie thinks your too beautiful to just be my friend.” Jae Ha admitted, his words making Ga Eul blush.

“Oppa.”
“It is true Ga Eul. Any guy would be lucky to to date you.”

“Just not you.” Ga Eul thought sadly.

“But I have to give my approval to him as your Oppa.” Jae Ha spoke with a bright smile.

“Right.” Ga Eul spoke dejectedly.

“Is something wrong?” Jae Ha questioned.

“Why don’t you like me?” Ga Eul wanted to ask but refrained from speaking.

            For a moment, Ga Eul thought of what she should say to Jae Ha. The person she had liked him for such a long time. The thought of confessing her feelings to him had come to her more than once. The problem was that her Oppa was always unavailable. Jae Ha was never single and usually had long term relationships. One girl he dated for over two years and Ga Eul was sure that Jae Ha would one day marry her but the girl abruptly left Jae Ha leaving him heartbroken. She often did wonder why it was always them leaving him not the other way around but Ga Eul never had the courage to ask about this and she was even more afraid to confess her own feelings.

“Ga Eul?” Jae Ha spoke a look of concern in his eyes.

“Oppa.”
“Have you ever. Like someone so much but. Were afraid to be rejected?” She asked.

“Are you in love Ga Eul?” Jae Ha asked surprised.

“No of course not. I was just.”
“Ariel. She likes someone. She’s liked him for some time and. I shouldn’t be telling you this.” Ga Eul rambled before biting her lip nervously. Silently she apologized to her friend for using her to lie.

“It’s alright. I won’t tell Ariel about this anyway.” Jae Ha offered.

“Does this guy like her?” Jae Ha asked.

“She doesn’t know. He’s. Always in a relationship. But,” Ga Eul spoke looking down at her hands nervously to keep from looking at Jae Ha too afraid to give herself away.

“She’s afraid to ask.”
Offering a smile Jae Hae shook his head.

“That doesn’t sound like Ariel. She’s very forward.”
“Feelings are different Oppa.”
“Ariel called my last girlfriend peanut head because she thought her head looked funny and made her cry.”
“Your girlfriend called her a half breed.” Ga Eul defended, causing Jae Ha to smile at her and pat her on the head.

“Your right. She only gets fired up when insulted.”

            The air seemed to blow just a bit harder and clouds began to form around them making Ga Eul sigh at the thought of having to ride her Moped in the rain later that morning for school.

“This guy. How is he?” Jae Ha questioned. Looking down at the ground Ga Eul wondered whether or not she should tell Jae Ha the truth but the moment she looked at at him she grew cowardly and decided against it.

“He’s. Charming.” She found herself saying. Her mind flashing to Yi Jeong.

“Charming?” Jae Ha questioned.

“Like. Someone who can whisk a girl away with just a single smile.”
“He doesn’t try to be with a girl. It just sort of happens.”
“He’s a bit of a jerk.” Ga Eul nodded to herself.

“He wants to get his way and can charm his way out of anything.”
“He sounds like a player. You might want to tell Ariel that before he kisses her and ends up pregnant.” Jae Ha joked. An image of herself with a giant belly flashed in her mind while standing next to Yi Jeong begging him to take responsibility while he ignored her and flirted with a crowd of women.
“I’m not pregnant!”

Startled Jae Ha looked at Ga Eul in confusion while she blushed.

“I mean. A kiss doesn’t do that.”

“Well. Tell Ariel to be careful anyways. Guys like that never change. Girls like you and Ariel are meant to be cherished. Not many men understand that. That’s why your Oppa has to protect you.” Jae Ha spoke patting Ga Eul’s head playfully before standing up and heading across the street. The melancholic feeling that stayed in Ga Eul’s heart made her feel rejected even if she had not spoken what she felt.

~

“Hypocrites.”
            There was nothing but silence while his mother, father, brother and his brothers fiancée all sat about that early morning so they could discuss Il Hyun’s wedding with Eun Jae. Yi Jeong watched his mother happily fuss over Eun Jae with excitement. Calling her the perfect daughter in law. At the same time Yi Jeong watched his mother try to engage his father in conversation and cling to him in desperation that could only be seen in her eyes.

            The pain of watching his mother be rejected by the cruelty of his father only made him want to look away.

“Yi Jeong. What do you think?” His mother asked him and for a moment he offered a charming fake smile.

“About what?” He questioned.

“Being my best man.” Il Hyun spoke. The smile on his brother’s face made him want to cringe away.

            It was rare for Il Hyun to ever come home. He had chosen to walk away from the money, the pressure and what he called his lack of talent. But Yi Jeong knew better. Had he ever gotten the chance to escape this circle of wolves’ which seemed to surround his life in chaos while they fought over petty things that he himself realized where meaningless. Unknowingly, when Il Hyun did so he not only left behind his chaotic parents but Yi Jeong himself, who lost the only person who understood what he felt.  His life felt empty and nothing was ever going to change that.

“I need a drink.” Yi Jeong thought to himself.

“Please Yi Jeong. You are Il Hyuns’ only brother and it would make both of us happy for you to be the best man.” Eun Jae spoke the gleam in her eyes hiding mischievousness.

            It was hard for Yi Jeong not to roll his eyes at the woman and her indeasency.

“Please Yi Jeong.”
“I don’t have a date. Weddings really aren’t my thing. It’s so hypocritical.”
“Right you are son.” His father spoke.

“Big weddings are a waste of time and money. Marriages are just deals with the devil which always end in hell.”
“Anyways.” His father spoke standing up from the table.

“I have. Business in Japan. Vacation really. Marriage is.”
“Rather suffocating. I need a bit of heaven. Hell has. Deeply bored me again.” Yi Jeong’s father ended looking at his wife who tried to maintain her composure.

            Watching his father leave Yi Jeong heard the slam of the door and then his mother offered everyone at the table a smile.

“I’m a bit tired. Lack of sleep really does that to someone. Excuse me.” She spoke shaking before heading upstairs abruptly.

“Why don’t you just leave him?” Yi Jeong wanted to shout to her. In fact, it was something he wished to tell her every time this happened.

“Yi Jeong. Don’t take it to heart.” Il Hyun spoke up offering him a smile.

“Go to school. I’ll get the maids to keep watch again.”

            Nodding not knowing what else to say Yi Jeong stood up to leave as well. His chest felt so tight he wanted to run himself out of that house. He felt disgustingly vulnerable at that point. That woman had seen another vulnerable moment and he hated showing weakness. His friends were only ever allowed small glimpses and that had only been a mistake. Heading out of his home and towards his car he quickly got in.

“Damn it” He spoke in frustration.

            Trying to get his mind together when he realized he needed to pick up Chu Ga Eul, Yi Jeong used the drive to clear his head. It was easy to put up a front with a person that knew nothing about you. It was intriguing enough that Chu Ga Eul knew absolutely nothing about him. Her confession of not listening to gossip only made him shake his head.

“If only she knew most rumors about me are true.” He thought to himself. An image of Chu Ga Eul’s shocked expression after slapping him made him chuckle. It wasn’t the first time he was slapped by a girl and would certainly not be the last, but it was the first time he had seen someone feel embarrassed after slapping him.

            By the time he reached Chu Ga Eul’s home he was in a good mood. His intention had been to knock on her door but the thought of having to talk to caring parents stopped him. Normally he would just meet a girl at the front of the school after her chauffer dropped her off but Chu Ga Eul was a commoner and he wished to see her amusing reactions. Thunder struck and Yi Jeong smiled when he realized the weather was in his favor today. He had been too busy to notice anyone approach his car until he heard a knock on his window. The girl Ariel, stood there with her camera and an umbrella and offered a cheerful smile.

            Pressing the button to roll the window down Yi Jeong offered the girl a charming smile.

“Hi. Picking Ga Eul up today?” She questioned.

“Yes.”
“Good. The weather’s pretty bad and it’s a bad day to drive a moped.” Ariel spoke.

“Want a lift?” He questioned.

“I take the bus. Besides. You have approximately two weeks to sweep Ga Eul off her feet and all.” Ariel spoke shrugging. Shaking his head Yi Jeong found the girl rather bubbly and just a bit amusing though nothing like Chu Ga Eul.

“What would happen if you fell in love with her too?” She asked and Yi Jeong had to bite back a retort about love being nothing but an illusion which masochists looked for.

“Anyways. See you around. Don’t make Ga Eul cry or I’ll scratch your car.” She spoke with a smile turning to leave only to turn back and take a picture of his car.

“Oh. Almost forgot. My mom asked that I give you these items for today.” She spoke while Yi Jeong looked at her curiously. Handing him a black umbrella and a small bottle of medicine for a hangover.

“The umbrella is for you. The medicine for your friend.” Ariel spoke. Yi Jeong had half a mind to ask if she had lost her mind but kept quiet.

“Nice car. White is a better color.”
“No it’s not.” Yi Jeong retorted back to the girl who simply offered a wave as she walked away.

“Strange girl.” He thought to himself.

 

“Mom! I’m heading to school!”

Turning towards the house. Yi Jeong watched Ga Eul run out of her home only to trip and flutter around in order too keep herself standing. Chuckling lightly, he headed out of the car with an umbrella and walked over to the girl who was trying not to get wet. Ga Eul wore a yellow rain coat, boots and a helmet.

“She looks rather cute” Yi Jeong admitted to himself.

“Ga Eul-yang,” Yi Jeong called out before Ga Eul got on to her Moped causing her to jump and turn to look at him in surprise.

“Sunbae!” She spoke in surprise while Yi Jeong simply stood closer to her in order to cover her from the rain with the umbrella.

“Were you going to stand me up again Ga Eul-yang? I told you I’d come and pick you up today.” Yi Jeong spoke making Ga Eul blush and bite her lip nervously. Something that only made Yi Jeong smirk inwardly.

“I can drive myself to school. I have my bike.” She offered.

“It’s raining. Ga Eul-yang.” He pointed out to her watching her fiddle with her school bag.

“It’s dangerous for you to ride that thing today. Besides. I’m already here and there’s no point in not going to school together now.”
“You are my girlfriend.” Yi Jeong spoke to her with a smile only to watch the girl turn as red as a tomato. Yi Jeong tried hard not to laugh and simply took Ga Eul’s hand giving her no time to object. They’d already spent more than enough time talking and he didn’t want to be late nor bump into Ga Eul’s parents. Opening the car door for her he watched her slowly go inside his car with a flustered look on her face. Shaking his head, he closed the car door and headed to the drivers’ side to get inside.

“Let’s go.” He said to her.

~

            The air felt so tense Ga Eul had half a mind to jump out of Yi Jeong’s car but what would her parents think if she killed herself over this. Instead, Ga Eul settled for discretely pinching herself to see if she was in fact dreaming. To her utter horror. She wasn’t. There was no conversation to have with Yi Jeong a rich spoiled jerk she had nothing in common with.

“You agreed to this pabo.” She reminded herself again.

            Her lapse of judgment had not only made her realize how stupid she was but the talk with Jae Ha that morning had reinforced this. She wondered whether to talk to Ariel about this. Her best friend was always a good listener but Ga Eul was afraid to know the true nature of her bad luck when Ariel knew so much. While Ariel’s father was a business man, Ariel’s mother was a crazy psychic. The woman had taught Ariel to read tarot cards and Ga Eul had asked her friend about Jae Ha. The death card had appeared to her and Ariel’s mother forced them to have into a cleanse done by her for the negativity Ga Eul had dragged them all in. Ariel had not agreed to read her since then.

“I’ll ask her after work.” Ga Eul thought to herself.

“Ga Eul-yang. We’re here.”

            Looking up Ga Eul found herself staring at the handsome man with a fake smile again and had to bite back a retort. She had always wished to hide her emotions though it was something she failed at doing quite miserably. The only one who seemed to not read her correctly was Jae Ha. But this guy Yi Jeong was a great actor. However, Ga Eul knew only that a player was never honest. There was always a flicker of something to fast for Ga Eul to read from Yi Jeong right before he smiled at her but the harsh and cold eyes always remained no matter how brightly it was he smiled.

“Ga Eul-yang?” Yi Jeong called out to her again.

“Sorry Sunbae.” She whispered, getting out of the car. As soon as she did exit that car however, she regretted it.

            Swarms of girls surrounded them both some screaming out in excitement for the handsome man next to her, other’s glaring at her and making her feel small and insecure. Yi Jeong simply offered them all smiles before putting an arm around her and heading inside with her. Her reaction was to pull away from him but the tight arm around her prevented her from doing so and she found herself being dragged by him and almost stumbling about.
“You had a lot of options didn’t you? So why me?” Ga Eul wanted to ask but found herself too overwhelmed to speak. By the time they reached the school hallway Yi Jeong dragged her toward his locker and his friends. Inwardly Ga Eul prepared herself assuming that Jae Kyung and Jan Di would yell at her again. Unconsciously she hid behind Yi Jeong and tried to shield herself away only to have Yi Jeong chuckle and push her forward gently.

“Hi Ga Eul. I’m Jan Di and this is my cousin Jae Kyung. Sorry about yesterday.” Jan Di spoke with a kind smile.

“Yeah. It’s nothing personal. Just Yi Jeong himself out.” Jae Kyung spoke causing Woo Bin to snicker and throw his arm around the girl; pecking her on the cheek.

“Play nice.” Woo Bin spoke to her.

“Hey. I’m Woo Bin and that’s Jun Pyo.” He motioned to the Shinwa heir who intimidated Ga Eul with a single glance.

“Don’t scare her you curly haired brat!” Jan Di snapped at Jun Pyo.

“Sorry Ga Eul. Jun Pyo is just an idiot.”
“I’m deciding if she can stay with us or not. Yi Jeong doesn’t usually bring his flings with him when he’s with us.”
            Ga Eul realized that Jun Pyo’s words weren’t meant to be insulting but she couldn’t help but feel that way considering she was now “dating” So Yi Jeong.

“So you agreed?” Jae Kyung asked surprised.

“Why?” Jan Di questioned her.

Ga Eul found herself being uncomfortable and was glad when Yi Jeong placed a protective arm around her.

“That’s our business. Anyways. I’m taking Ga Eul to get her things and then we’re headed to class see you guys later.” Yi Jeong spoke up offering his friends a smile and leading Ga Eul away.

“This was such a bad idea.” Ga Eul told herself in her head once more. Silently and awkwardly, they headed toward her locker. Yi Jeong taking her hand rather tightly and allowing her to lead him to her locker. Biting her lip Ga Eul tried to pull her hand away feeling the gesture to be quite intimate and wishing to pull away.

            The stares continued to come their way and Ga Eul felt so exposed and small that she realized she needed to speak up. Once they reached her locker she turned to face Yi Jeong who once again offered that fake smile.

“Sunbae. I think. This was a mistake.”
“Ga Eul-“
“Sunbae. I’m not like the girls you date. I’m not rich, I’m not confident and this all happened because of a mistake.” Ga Eul expected Yi Jeong to yell at her much like she had to Sunny. Instead the man offered another fake smile to her.

“It’s just two weeks Ga Eul. We haven’t been out on a date yet and I’m not expecting you to be like other girls.”
“Why did you ask me out Sunbae?” Ga Eul questioned.

“Don’t you want to see this… Jae Ha’s reaction?” Yi Jeong countered.

“I’m not good at deceiving people Sunbae. I want and honest relationship with the person I like. This was a mistake. People are staring at us and I don’t feel comfortable.”
“That’s because I’m beside such a beautiful woman Ga Eul-yang and they envy your beauty.”
“More like they envy me for being this close to you.” Ga Eul thought. From across the hall she could see. Honey, Sunny and Money something all glaring at her and bit her lip.

“Sunbae.”
“Relax Ga Eul. I’ll just walk you to class.” Yi Jeong said to her.

~

            Class could not be more boring. The English teacher was going on and on about proper grammar and Yi Jeong was bored out of his mind. Normally Ji Hoo would be with him here. Not that Ji Hoo would talk, he was rather studious but Yi Jeong at least had some company. It was rare of Ji Hoo to miss school and Yi Jeong figured the guy must have been sick. Ji Hoo only missed school for three reasons. He was sick, he was on abrupt vacation with F4 or, he attended a funeral. The last one only happening after his parent’s deaths and the death of Jun Pyo’s father. For the time being Yi Jeong wasn’t going to worry because Yi Jeong knew should something big happen to his friend who now only had his grandfather, Ji Hoo would more than likely inform them.

            Looking outside the window he sighed when he thought of the conversation he had with Chu Ga Eul.

“Why did you ask me out Sunbae?”

“Why indeed.” Yi Jeong muttered.

He had wanted to tell Ga Eul that he found her amusing but was not sure how she would take it. Part of him wished to say just that just to see if she would slap him again. Then again, he realized amusement was only part of it. As Ga Eul had told him she was not like the girls he dated. The bell to the end of the period rang and he headed out after gathering his things. He had asked Ga Eul beforehand to meet at the F4 school lounge to eat. Instead, he once again found himself standing outside like an idiot while his friends laughed at him.

“Why did you ask her out anyway? Ga Eul is not your type.” Woo Bin questioned.

“I’m tired of routine.” Yi Jeong shrugged.

“Well Ga Eul is definitely not routine.” Jae Kyung spoke.

“But she’s not a toy either Yi Jeong.” Jan Di interjected.

“Yeah. Even I know soft girls like her aren’t meant for guys like you.” Jun Pyo spoke.

“Wow. You grew a brain today Jun Pyo.” Woo Bin spoke amused.

“Shut up! I know what I’m talking about sometimes.”
“That doesn’t really help win your argument.” Jan Di scolded though a smile was on her lips while she held Jun Pyo’s hand.

“Ji Hoo would agree with me if he was here.” Jun Pyo spoke.

“Have you guys heard from him at all today?” Jan Di questioned.

“No. His phone is off.” Jun Pyo spoke.

“I’m sure if the guy needs us he’ll call he’s probably just sick.” Woo Bin said while everyone silently agreed hoping that was true.

“I better go get Ga Eul,” Yi Jeong thought to himself silently excusing himself from the room and heading out to the cafeteria.

            It was rare for any of the F4 to be in the cafeteria. Jun Pyo had made their lounge private mainly because he found the screaming people in the classrooms annoying. Jae Hee who was now the school principal allowed them to keep the lounge only because Jan Di had spoken up and said she too wanted privacy away from annoying girls that worshipped her stupid boyfriend. Unfortunately for all of them Jae Hee didn’t allow them private teachers. As far as regular classes they had to take with the rest of the students and only business and economics were kept private for them.

            Stepping inside the cafeteria Yi Jeong expected the usual screams instead he found Sunny, Miranda and Ginger bothering Ga Eul. He wasn’t sure just how long this incident had started but figured a good amount of time because the students were already gathered to what appeared to be a witch hunt.

“You don’t deserve Yi Jeong Oppa. Even if it is just one week Chu Ga Eul. You’re a commoner and you should know your place.” Sunny spoke about to throw an egg at Ga Eul’s head. Yi Jeong moved fast watching in frustration as Chu Ga Eul silently took these insults and closed her eyes waiting to be humiliated in such a way.

“What are you doing?” He asked Sunny calmly though he was beyond annoyed at both girls.

“Oppa.” Sunny managed to say dropping the eggs to the floor while the crowd of onlookers Yi Jeong now noticed tried to hide the eggs they too had been holding.

“Ga Eul-yang. Let’s go.” He spoke to her offering her his hand but when she remained glued to where she was Yi Jeong finally had enough and just pulled her by the arm.

“Now.” He spoke to her standing her up beside him.

“For this week, for next week and probably until we graduate. I don’t want any of you to bother her. Understood?” Yi Jeong spoke coldly.

“Oppa-“
“Let’s go Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong spoke ignoring Sunny and dragging Ga Eul out of the cafeteria.

            He didn’t want to speak to her afraid to yell at her for her stupidity. He hated people that could not stick up for themselves and found weakness annoying. For now, he realized he had to deal with Chu Ga Eul for the next two weeks and found himself wishing for the first time that he had not made her such a silly offer in the first place.

“This is your fault to begin with Yi Jeong. You should not have dragged a naïve commoner into your hectic life.” He scolded himself in frustration.

“My lunchbox is still there.”
“I’ll get you a new one.” Yi Jeong muttered.

“Sunbae.”
“Didn’t I tell you to come to the F4 lounge Ga Eul-yang?” He questioned trying not to lose his temper.

“I.” Ga Eul began biting her lip nervously and looking down.

“I’m sorry.”
“It’s fine.” He interrupted sighing before fixing a smile at the girl once again.

“Let’s just go inside. Don’t go into the cafeteria again Ga Eul-yang at least until these two weeks are over.” Yi Jeong told her before pulling her inside the F4 lounge.

            His friends upon seeing them offered a smile and Jan Di and Jae Kyung immediately led Ga Eul to sit with them.

“What were you guys discussing?” Yi Jeong asked wanting to get his anger and annoyance out of the way.

“Were going to the shooting range after school. You coming?” Woo Bin asked.

“Were not it’s boring.” Jae Kyung interjected rolling her eyes and then pouting.

“You promised we’d go shopping. I need a new dress Woo Bin.”
“That’s boring.” Woo Bin sighed.

“Ya! Woo Bin! You owe me for ditching me last week to play soccer with these guys.” Jae Kyung snapped at him.

“You take to long to decide what to get.”

“Last time it took you two hours to decide whether or not you were buying anything you tried on and we still left empty handed monkey.” Woo Bin spoke.

“Don’t call me that you jerk!” Jae Kyung yelled.

“Look. I’ll come back in time for tonight okay. You can go buy yourself a dress and I’ll take you out to dinner. Just the two of us to anywhere you’d like.”
“Fine Prince Song but you can’t complain if I decide to end the night with karaoke.” Jae Kyung spoke with a smirk.

“Fine monkey.” Woo Bin said smiling.

            Watching the exchange Yi Jeong found himself smiling at his friends. To anyone it did appear like Woo Bin and Jae Kyung had argued but Yi Jeong knew better. Woo Bin would practically take a bullet for Jae Kyung. Even when Woo Bin had complained about going shopping with Jae Kyung he never once hesitated to do whatever Jae Kyung liked unless he himself had a surprise in store for her. Woo Bin had confessed that he planned to officially ask Jae Kyung to marry him. It was one thing to be arranged by parents but Yi Jeong supposed Woo Bin wanted to give Jae Kyung the option to walk away. For his friends’ sake Yi Jeong hoped Jae Kyung would say yes. Though he himself found love to be idiotic, mythical and for masochist. He did want his friends to be happy.

“Ga Eul. Do you want to join Jan Di and I for some shopping? I could use another pair of eyes to tell me how I look.” Yi Jeong heard Jae Kyung ask. 

            In that moment his friends all turned to look at Ga Eul expectantly who seemed to shrink in her chair and blush.

“I. I have to work.” Ga Eul whispered shyly.

“Jun Pyo can find someone to take your place for the time being. Then you can return to your job tomorrow.” Jae Kyung spoke nonchalantly.

“It’s okay. I don’t want to leave my friend alone.” Ga Eul tried again and Yi Jeong realized that Ga Eul was feeling more than a little uncomfortable.

“It’s fine then Ga Eul-yang. I can drop you off at work after school and I’ll go with the guys to the shooting range and pick you up afterwards.” Yi Jeong told her just as the bell to end lunch rang.
“Okay.” Ga Eul squawked out, stress evident in her eyes that Yi Jeong felt guilty again for ing Ga Eul into a world that she was obviously not comfortable with.

“Come on let’s go to class.” He spoke to her, taking her hand after she stood up and heading out of the F4 lounge.

~

            All afternoon Ga Eul found herself questioning her judgment. She had been so incredibly stupid to accept Yi Jeong’s proposition but had not really thought of the consequences. Today she had been reminded of her bad decision the entire day. She hadn’t spoken up to Yi Jeong about it but she was harassed all morning during all her classes. Sandy, Candy and Mandy something had made the entire class throw her desk out, had the entire school calling her a , and more than one person threw papers at the back of her head while they were in class. The teachers, as always said nothing though Ga Eul knew should she go to Principal Jae Hee things would end.

            However, the last thing Ga Eul wanted was to bring more attention to herself. It was because of this that Ga Eul decided to endure silently even if it hurt to be treated as nothing but trash. Most of the time she was invincible to the students for being the commoner girl. Yes, she was continuously harassed by the Devils trio but Ga Eul had learned not to take it to heart.

“I was better-off being ignored.” Ga Eul thought to herself. Currently she was seated inside of So Yi Jeong’s orange lotus sports car and being driven to work in silence. Though it was uncomfortable silence; frankly speaking, she preferred it.

            That afternoon at lunch had been very insightful and quite frightening. Chunnie, honey and, Bunny whatever had walked over to her usual table quite angry. Chunnie had proceeded to slam her hands harshly down on the table eliciting a noise so loud that the students had immediately turned to watch this very dramatic showdown. Ga Eul had also become very aware of the fact that more than a couple students had gathered to throw eggs at her. Even if she had chosen to fight back or run; her table was surrounded by Shinwa students who more or less were going to humiliate her.

“Give Yi Jeong Oppa back to us you poor ! He doesn’t belong to your world!” Chunnie had shouted at her.

            In her mind Ga Eul thought of answering back thinking to that one moment she had seen but was not suppose to have heard between So Yi Jeong and Sumie.

“Girls in love do crazy things.” Ga Eul remembered Ariel telling her once. Ga Eul in that moment wondered if this was love crazy or just madness on Summie’s part but didn’t ask. Instead, Ga Eul ignored the girl and everyone around her by trying to eat and wishing that they would go away.

“You don’t deserve Yi Jeong Oppa. Even if it is just one week Chu Ga Eul. You’re a commoner and you should know your place.”

            It was precisely at that moment that So Yi Jeong had come in like Prince Charming to save her only there wasn’t anything charming about the man in that moment. The look in his eyes made Ga Eul cringe at the memory and as she sat in his car she turned to look at him. At the moment So Yi Jeong was fixated on the road. His eyes were calm then and Ga Eul bit her lip and looked away when Yi Jeong turned to look at her.

            His eyes back then had been so cold, Ga Eul was afraid that she would choke in so much coldness. There was absolutely no warmth in his eyes and when he had dragged her away though he had smiled at her charmingly, his eyes were filled with rage. When Ga Eul was younger, she was lucky to go on a school trip to a small stable. She remembered enjoying petting the horses and feeding them but one beautiful white horse in particular had frightened her. She had been tripped by her friends and in order to avoid falling pulled on the horses tail rather harshly making it neigh in terror. She had been lucky that the horse had not kicked her but only because she had been pulled away by her teacher rather fast. She remembered it’s wild eyes of anger at being taken off guard by her carelessness. This was exactly how Yi Jeong’s eyes looked today. He had been angry with her but refrained from scolding her.

“We’re here. Ga Eul.” Yi Jeong spoke interrupting Ga Eul’s train of thought.

“Oh. Thank you Sunbae.” Ga Eul whispered.

“It looks like the rain from this morning cleared but it might come back later tonight.” Yi Jeong said to her.

“I’ll pick you up when your shift is done Ga Eul-yang.”
“Okay.” Ga Eul managed to say to him.

“Wait. Ga Eul.” Yi Jeong spoke to her offering that fake charming smile that Ga Eul was starting to hate.

“I don’t have your number. I realized this in the afternoon. It will be better if we keep contact this way.” Yi Jeong spoke handing Ga Eul his phone.

“Put your number in.” Yi Jeong encouraged with another fake smile.  Hesitantly Ga Eul did so and then returned it to Yi Jeong.

“I’ll send you a text so you have my number.”
“See you later.” He spoke to her before driving away.

            For a moment Ga Eul stood by the road watching the car leave with a very confusing man. It was the first time Ga Eul had ever met such a person. She hadn’t realized it at first but why did all of So Yi Jeong’s actions feel empty and without any feeling. Sighing she entered the porridge shop and immediately a flash caught her sight.

“So how was it? Are you in love?” Ariel asked, her voice filled with more excitement than usual. Offering a weak smile Ga Eul shook her head.

“He seems like the kind of guy that can sweep a girl off her feet with a smile.” Ariel spoke and Ga Eul thought about that cold and very fake smile and realized she might be the only one to ever realize So Yi Jeong never truly smiled.

“Maybe. But I like Jae Ha.” Ga Eul interjected causing Ariel to roll her eyes. Heading to a table with a client Ariel bowed and set his plate of porridge down before heading back to Ga Eul and dragging her away from the customer to the other side of the small restaurant to sit.

“We’ve been over this Ga Eul. You and Jae Ha have no future and I have that herbal smell from my mother’s cleanse on me to prove it.” Ariel spoke to her.

            Although, Ariel was her friend sometimes she did hurt her feelings with her honesty. It was never about looks or even teasing, it had more to do with Jae Ha and this only happened after Ariel read her cards about it.

“Listen to me Ga Eul.” Ariel spoke, taking Ga Eul’s hands in hers.

“I know I’m, being harsh and I know how much you care about Jae Ha but your futures aren’t linked.” Ariel explained her eyes expressing a sadness that told Ga Eul she sympathized with her.

“While I think my mother is crazy, she is never wrong about destiny. She’s told us and I’ve seen it myself in the cards that your destiny and Jae Ha’s never link. Your string of fate flows to someone else’s from what my mother has told me and so does Jae Ha’s.”
“What about making your own destiny?” Ga Eul questioned back.

“You can’t really change what’s already been set for you Ga Eul, you just have to accept it. And as far as you know there’s nothing bad headed your way. My mother says were both meant to have happy lives with men that will love and cherish us.” Ariel spoke that gleam in her eyes making Ga Eul smile genuinely.

            Her friend may be eccentric; she was also rather normal when it came to feelings.

“That’s easy for you to say. Your mother already said you’ll be with your true love in New York when you go study there next year.”
“And I can’t wait Ga Eul.” Ariel interjected, her voice hopeful and filled with excitement.

“It’s why I’ll never date anyone or fall in love with anyone but him. I want my love to be only given to him. My mother says our love is blessed by the red ribbon of fate.”
“Don’t you mean red string?” Ga Eul questioned.

“That’s what I told my mother but she says it’s a ribbon.” Ariel spoke causing Ga Eul to laugh.

“Don’t forget about the part of you moving in with him the same day you meet.”
“My mother was just teasing with that. I have values.” Ariel pouted.

“Come on new customers.” Ga Eul spoke when she heard the bell of the shop ring. Bowing both girls quickly got back to work.

            By the end of her shift Ga Eul had more than enough time to think about her day and what Ariel had previously said to her but giving up on someone who you had liked for such a long time was not easy. How could she possibly turn her back on feelings that had stemmed from something so long ago she felt the roots were deeply planted in her heart. She had not meant to leave the porridge shop after it closed, but found herself walking away after her friend was picked up by her father; who had come to pick her up for a night out as a family. She was halfway down the block when her phone beeped and seconds later a car pulled up next to her.

“Standing me up again Ga Eul-yang?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke in surprise and embarrassment.

“I forgot.” She told him to which his only answer was to fake smile and open the car door for her to get in. Calmly she did what she was told and buckled herself in. Throughout the ride home she began to think of a way to properly speak to the man next to her feeling that she had been wrong that afternoon. It wasn’t until they had reached her home and she stood in front of her house; that she found the strength to actually speak.

“Sunbae. I’m sorry about this afternoon.”
“I know you were angry with me and-“
“I wasn’t Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong corrected her with a fake smile.

“You were Sunbae. I could tell from your eyes.” Ga Eul spoke silencing Yi Jeong who’s face remained calm.

“You had every right to be. You asked that I go to the lounge and I realize it was to avoid what happened to day with Chunnie.”
“Chunnie?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“The Girl you dated before me.” Ga Eul spoke.

“I made a scene this afternoon by avoiding you and your friends because I was feeling uncomfortable.”
“It’s not you Sunbae you’ve been quite… polite.”
“And your friends are really nice but I’m not use to dating or making new friends rather easily. I hope you can understand Sunbae.”
            Silence followed her words and Ga Eul feared that maybe she had insulted Yi Jeong somehow only to have the man laugh, the smile that formed on his lips was natural, gone was the charming, well put together man that So Yi Jeong tried to be. His real smile bright and relaxed, while his shoulders shook slightly. For a nano-second Ga Eul’s heart skipped a beat.

“It’s fine Ga Eul-yang. I understand. I won’t push you to become good friends with people you won’t be talking to in two weeks’ time.” Yi Jeong spoke to her. His words making that one little moment of true Yi Jeong sink to the bottom of the ocean.

“I really wasn’t angry at you Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong spoke the fake smile telling her he was lying to her.

“As far as what happened with Sunny.” Yi Jeong corrected Ga Eul causing her to blush and Yi Jeong to chuckle.

“If she bothers you again please do tell me. I give girls specifics to what being with me is Ga Eul-yang. No one is lied to about who I am.” Yi Jeong spoke and somehow Ga Eul detected self loathe in his words that it confused her.

“But. Ga Eul-yang. Give me a chance to change your mind about me. Your rather. Different.”
“Weird.” Ga Eul wanted to correct him but refrained from speaking.

“Just one real date tomorrow night and if you still want to forget this whole thing then we will.” Yi Jeong told her.

“Do you agree Ga Eul-yang?” Yi Jeong asked her.

            For a moment Ga Eul remained quiet. Thinking over what she had said, and what Yi Jeong was saying to her now. She remembered Ariel’s words about destiny not being in favor of her and Jae Ha and thought that maybe going on a date would help.

“If a date with So Yi Jeong can give me an idea to what it’s like to be in a relationship then maybe I can look forward to someday enjoying a date with someone who will love me.”

“Okay Sunbae.” Ga Eul spoke to him.

“It’s a date then Ga Eul-yang.” Yi Jeong spoke with his fake charming smile. Hesitating for a moment he placed a hand to Ga Eul’s cheek.

“I don’t want to get slapped again so I’m asking this time.”
“Ga Eul-yang. Can I kiss you?” Yi Jeong asked her causing her to blush and that little nano skip in her heart jumped again. She wasn’t sure what to respond but found Yi Jeong’s lips moving closer to hers.

“What are you doing to Ga Eul!”
            There was no time to react for Ga Eul because before she knew it Yi Jeong had been pushed away from her and abruptly punched by none other than Jae Ha.

“Oppa!”
“Sunbae!”
Helping Yi Jeong up she looked at Jae Ha in surprise unsure of what to say.

“I knew something was wrong the moment you asked me that question this morning.” Jae Ha spoke to her trying to grab Ga Eul away from Yi Jeong’s side. Though Ga Eul unconsciously moved to hide behind Yi Jeong who stood in front of her.

“Let’s not cause a scene here.” Yi Jeong spoke.

“Who are you?”
“Jae Ha. Ga Eul’s Oppa. You are?”
“Oh. You’re Jae Ha. Ga Eul has mentioned you once to me before.” Yi Jeong spoke offhandedly wiping the blood from the corner of his lip. Ga Eul meanwhile could do nothing but watch the two of them heart racing with worry.

“I’m So Yi Jeong. I’m Ga Eul’s Sunbae. I attend Shinwa with Ga Eul. I’m Ga Eul-yang’s boyfriend.” Yi Jeong spoke with that fake smile as he extended a hand out to Jae Ha.

            Although Ga Eul had initially wanted to get a reaction from Jae Ha. In that moment she wanted the ground to swallow her up with what continued to unfold in front of her. Ga Eul knew that Yi Jeong was not happy at all and those eyes were expressing that anger that gave her chills again. Yi Jeong at the moment had every right to be angry and even hit Jae Ha if he wished but Ga Eul really hoped a fight would not break in front of her home.

“Sorry for the misunderstanding.” Yi Jeong spoke when Jae Ha finally did shake his hand. Inwardly Ga Eul gave a sigh of relief.

“But Ga Eul is my girlfriend and I am allowed to kiss her.” Yi Jeong spoke again with a smile turning to Ga Eul.

“Sunbae. I.”
“It wasn’t your fault Ga Eul-yang. I’ll pick you up tomorrow morning.” Yi Jeong said to her kissing her cheek and then heading towards his car and driving off leaving Ga Eul to once again watch him drive away.

            Silence ensued between her and Jae Ha and Ga Eul did not know what to say to her friend.

“Ariel likes someone huh?” Jae Ha spoke calmly before walking away. Feeling a little more than confused Ga Eul headed inside her house to think about what a bad person she felt like at the moment.

~

            If one day you had told So Yi Jeong that he would calmly back away from a fight to not lose face in front a commoner girl, he would have laughed. Currently however, that was precisely what he was doing while he drove away from said commoner girls home. Ga Eul had previously mentioned to him that she was indeed attracted to someone. That Jae Ha guy was the main, if not the only reason that Yi Jeong was able to convince Chu Ga Eul so easily to date him.

            If he was being honest, Yi Jeong supposed the guy could be considered good looking.

“For a commoner.”
There was something about a man that enjoyed stringing women along by extending an olive branch of hope however, that truly did irritate him. Yi Jeong was no saint but he never lied to women or enamored them by promising them forever like most men did. Whichever woman chose to be with him knew it was nothing more than . Though he had tricked the innocent, and naïve Ga Eul-yang into keeping him entertained for two weeks he had not given her hope of anything.

“Frankly speaking neither had she.” Yi Jeong thought to himself. From his talks with Chu Ga Eul and the way that she carried herself there was no way that the thought of sleeping with her ever crossed his mind. Deflowering such a delicate rose would no doubt cause both of them harm. Just because he didn’t believe in love did not mean he was allowed to burst the bubble of an innocent country bumpkin like Chu Ga Eul.

            Aside from the fact that he was annoyed by Chu Ga Eul’s poor taste in men what she had told him about being able to see his anger had scared the crap out of him. Yi Jeong was great at hiding his emotions and could not fathom how Chu Ga Eul was able to realize he had been upset with her that afternoon. No girl had ever told him that his eyes portrayed anything but charm but how in the world had the opened book Chu Ga Eul seen past his fake charm.

            Yi Jeong had no time to further contemplate this because his phone began to ring.

“Hello.”
“Yi Jeong. Come to Goo Jun Pyo’s house. It’s about Ji Hoo.” Woo Bin spoke.

“Weren’t you suppose to be”
“Yeah. Jae Kyung and I agreed that our date could wait another time. Just hurry up.” Woo Bin spoke urgently before hanging up. Based on his friends’ tone and the fact that he canceled the surprise engagement date to Jae Kyung, Yi Jeong realized that whatever did happen to Ji Hoo was serious. Without hesitation he turned his car around to head to Jun Pyo’s house and sped up his car.

            It didn’t take long for Yi Jeong to arrive at Jun Pyo’s house to find his friends and their girlfriends sitting in the F4 lounge with similar expressions of worry.

“Sorry for interrupting your time with Ga Eul bro but this is more important.” Woo Bin spoke up.

“What’s going on?” Yi Jeong questioned.

“Ji Hoo has been lying to us. You remember when he left on that trip to Paris to chase after Seo Hyun right?” Jan Di asked.

“Yeah he came back two months later saying things were great. He spends most of his time texting her and.”
“He lied.” Jun Pyo interrupted.

“You know how Jae Hee and Seo Hyun where always close growing up and Jae Hee finally told me today that Seo Hyun has been engaged to some big shot lawyer in France or something. She’s getting married this weekend. The announcement of her engagement and now marriage has been kept under wraps because the media over there is less chaotic.” Jun Pyo explained.

“His phone has been off all day. And I finally managed to get a hold of his grandfather who says Ji Hoo left early in the morning telling him he was headed to school.” Jan Di spoke. Worry clear in her voice.

“Woo Bin and I already had our men look but from what we gathered he’s at some bar.” Jun Pyo spoke.

“So we split up then. Jun Pyo and Jan Di check some bars, Woo bin and I will check others. Yi Jeong can do the same.” Jae Kyung reasoned.

“If anyone finds him you let the rest of us know.” Jan Di spoke. Nodding everyone headed out to find Ji Hoo but it was Yi Jeong who felt the most pity for his friend. Once again he had proven that love was indeed nothing but a pretense which only ever ended in pain.

           

It was around 2am when Yi Jeong found Ji Hoo sitting at a bar practically falling over himself drunk. There was a drink of scotch in front of him while Ji Hoo appeared to be halfway to sleeping. Yi Jeong wasn’t good at saying much when it came to love but figured Ji Hoo would speak if he wanted to. Out of everyone in the group next to him Ji Hoo was the one that kept most to himself as far as his private affairs. Quietly Yi Jeong went to sit next to Ji Hoo who only raised his head up to reach for his drink without acknowledging him.

“Vodka on the rocks.” Yi Jeong ordered the bartender who immediately served him his drink.

“Go home Yi Jeong. I want to be alone.” Ji Hoo slurred his eyes drooping from fatigue and alcohol.

“You should have said something to us.” Yi Jeong spoke causing Ji Hoo to scoff and then smile.

“I’m an idiot.”
“You know what I did in Paris when I arrived?”
“I went to see her. Excited, hoping for another chance. But she was already happy and I couldn’t take that away from her.”
“She loves him. She told me so.” Ji Hoo slurred out his voice cracking.

“You were there for two months.”

“You know what I did for two months.” Ji Hoo laughed.

“I locked myself in my apartment with a piano, and bottles of alcohol.” Ji Hoo laughed.

“While she,” He continued his voice cracking again and a sob escaped his lips.

“Ji Hoo.”
“Forget it.” Ji Hoo spoke finishing his drink and laughing again.

“I’m going to have such a hangover tomorrow.” He joked standing up while Yi Jeong helped him stand and led him out the bar after paying for their drinks. Practically carrying his friend to his car Yi Jeong settled Ji Hoo on the passenger seat and headed to the driver’s side. Sighing he looked at his defeated friend who was already starting to fall asleep. Sending a quick message to his friends he noted a message from Ga Eul from hours ago that he had not picked up due to searching for his friend.

Sunbae. Sorry about this afternoon. It seems I’m bringing you a lot more trouble than I’m worth. If you don’t come to pick me up tomorrow morning, I’ll understand.

Goodnight. Chu Ga Eul

            Deciding to deal with Chu Ga Eul tomorrow morning Yi Jeong drove his friend home. When he reached his friends home he simply fished the keys out of Ji Hoo’s pocket and carried him on his back to his room. Shaking his head, he realized Ji Hoo was more than likely going to do what they all did with personal problems. Hide it.

“You have friends Ji Hoo.” Yi Jeong spoke to him though the latter remained asleep. Ji Hoo’s previous words about a hangover made him remember the small medicine bottle for hangovers that Ariel had given him and placed it on the bedside drawer on the right side of Ji Hoo’s bed.

“Strange girl. Stranger friend.” Yi Jeong though thinking of Ga Eul and realizing tomorrow would probably be another adventure. 

Thank you for reading. Next chapter date. How bizare is Ariel. Lol.