PART 7

FOREVER: EP 2

Part 7

 

                It is almost eight and Jessica just finish signing a few paper work at the counter. “Here you go.” She puts the pen down then give the papers to the female staff. She turn towards Taeyeon, who was sitting on the blue bench not far away from the counter. Her curious eyes looking everywhere and everyone that pass by her. She keeps tugging on the sleeves of the white shirt she is wearing. Jessica smiles at the scene, amuse by her adorableness. She approaches her favorite patient and she can see Taeyeon’s eyes immediately sparkles when she sees her. “So, ready to go home?” Jessica asked while reaching out her hand. Taeyeon smiles and holds her hand. Both of them walk outside slowly since Taeyeon is still having quite a hard time to walk with her current condition. Once they get down from the stairs, Jessica escorts Taeyeon to the passenger’s seat. She helps to buckle up the seatbelt. “Jessica unnie!” A familiar voice called and Jessica turns her head to the side.

 

“Ah, Seohyun.” She smiled upon seeing the pair of wives coming closer to her.

 

“So, it is true. You’re taking her home with you.” Seohyun said while looking at Taeyeon on the passenger’s seat.

 

“Yeah, I’m going to continue her treatment outside for two weeks. I think it will be better for her to be in good surroundings instead of being trap in a cell. She’ll make lots of progress.” Jessica glances at Taeyeon before looking back at the married-couple.

 

“You’re right.” Hyoyeon says, agreeing to the statement. “Hopefully she’ll get better.” The blonde gives an encouraging smile to Jessica. Despite the fight they had recently, the both of them are still in good terms. Jessica smiles back, “I will do the best I could.”

 

Seohyun pats the older one’s shoulder. “You will. We believe you can do it.”

 

                Before Jessica could reply a thank you, a slight tug on Jessica’s blouse attracts her attention to look at the passenger sitting in her car. Taeyeon’s round, brown-eyes looking at her, giving the signal that she couldn’t wait and wants to go back to Jessica’s home quickly. Of course, only the Dr. Jung herself can fully understands the signal given out just through eye-contacts. She chuckles. “Fine, we’re going.” She caresses Taeyeon on the cheek, which she responds by smiling brightly as she closes her eyes, enjoying the tender love she receives. Sometimes, Jessica thinks of Taeyeon as if she is a puppy. That favorite patient of hers’ certainly loves to be pat on the head or caress on the cheeks. She’s also clingy, like a pet that follows its’ master everywhere. Jessica always adore that side of Taeyeon. She finds it to be adorable.

 

“I guess I’ll be leaving now. Taeyeon is really excited to go home.”

 

Seohyun slightly smiles and nods, “you should. Besides, Taeyeon needs enough rest since she just got discharged.” Hyoyeon, on the other hand, currently lose in her own thoughts.

 

“You know, you can always come visit us at my apartment if you want. I-wanted Taeyeon to get to know all of you since you’re my friends and you’ve helped the two of us many times.”

 

“We will. For now, just take good care of Kim Taeyeon and focus on her treatments. Me and the others have already been assigned to handle your patients.” Seohyun informed. “Thanks, I owe you all a lot. Send my regards to the other doctors too.” Jessica closes the door at the passenger side. “I’ll see you later.” She said before getting inside her car at the driver’s side. Once she starts the engine, Jessica shifts the gear and drives away from the building to the front gate of the facility. The couple watches as they leave until Jessica’s car is finally out from their sights. “You’re being really quiet earlier.” Seohyun looked at her the older one, who she refers to be her ‘husband’ in their relationship. She knows Hyoyeon too well. One of the only times her partner would be quiet is when she is deep in her own thoughts. “What’s wrong? Are you still offended by our fight with her?”

 

Hyoyeon put her hands inside the pocket of her jeans as she shook her head. “No, not at all. I’m just thinking, that’s all.”

 

“Thinking about what, exactly?” Seohyun felt curious. It’s rare to see seriousness on Hyoyeon’s face.

 

“It’s just that, I noticed how Jessica looks at Taeyeon. She have that same look whenever-I look at you. So loving and caring.”

 

Seohyun feels more confuse what Hyoyeon is trying to say. “What do you mean by that?” She asked. Then, it ‘hit’ her. “Are you saying that Jessica unnie is having ‘that kind’ of feeling towards Kim Taeyeon? Honey, that’s-impossible.”

 

“I know when I see someone in love, babe.” Hyoyeon replied.

 

“Hon, she just…cares very deeply about Kim Taeyeon. That’s all. I don’t think she feels about her more than a patient.” Seohyun said, disagreeing her partner’s opinion about their friend and the infamous patient.

 

“What if she does have feelings for Kim Taeyeon? I never met a doctor that is willing enough to do anything for the sake of a patient. We care about our patients as well, but not to the point to made a decision and a proposal to take a patient’s home.” Hyoyeon holds Seohyun’s hand. “Love makes us do crazy things. That’s what I’ve learn.”

 

Seohyun sighs heavily. Despite of her trying to deny, she cannot help but to accept what Hyoyeon said since it does make sense. She heard from others that Jessica spent the night sleeping in Taeyeon’s cell just to kept her feel safe. Then, she made a risky decision to took Taeyeon home with her. She was also nearly killed by Taeyeon herself during their meeting at the solitary confinement. She refused to get help from the officers and tried to convinced Taeyeon on her own although she was already choked on the neck. The couple remembered well on how awful Jessica’s condition was before, she was tired and sick. She was like that because of Taeyeon too. It is a policy that a doctor should never been in a personal relationship with a patient. Once you got caught, you are immediately fired and even be charge in court.

 

“If anyone found out about this, Jessica unnie will get fired, right?” Seohyun looked at the shorter woman.

 

“That’s what I’m afraid of. I wouldn’t be worry if Taeyeon will be release soon but it would be troublesome if she stayed longer.”

 

“Then, what should we do?”

 

Hyoyeon rubs the back of her neck. “We’ll-talk to her later about it.” She slight smiled as she held her wife’s hand a bit tighter, reassuring that it will be fine. Hopefully, Jessica would listen to what they have to say. Knowing the young doctor for more than a month, they know how stubborn she can be. Sometimes, her stubbornness can cause trouble.

 

                Meanwhile, back in the car, Taeyeon is sitting quietly on the passenger’s seat while her arms hugging her skinny legs. She couldn’t take her eyes off from the views outside the window. She seems to be excited yet curious by the new buildings and the flickering, colorful lights. Jessica smiles, finding her patient to be cute. She opens the window of the car causing Taeyeon to flinches by the sudden moving item. “Sorry.” Jessica apologized. “I just thought you need to feel the air. It’s been so long, right?” Taeyeon gives her a small smile and looks outside the window again. The cold, calming breeze hitting her face makes her feel calm. Taeyeon close her eyes as she takes a deep breath. For others, there is nothing special but to a person living behind walls like Taeyeon, this is a golden moment. Jessica then decides to turn on the radio that plays the music in her USB drive. Hearing the sound of music immediately snap Taeyeon’s head to the radio.

 

“Feels nice, huh? Enjoying the breeze and listening to music. I always do this whenever I needed to calm my stress.” Jessica said, telling more a bit about herself. She thought if she wants Taeyeon to talk, she should make herself more open and tell the things about herself. She figures it would help. Taeyeon keeps staring at the radio, listening intestinally to her doctor’s favorite tunes. She cannot remember the last time she heard music. She was never aware of her life in the facility until recently, but she do know that a mental hospital wouldn’t play joyful music to mentally ill patients. Yes, Taeyeon is still a smart woman, able to think thoroughly despite her quietness. The next tune makes Jessica to slightly smiles. It’s one of her favorite song; Gravity by Sara Bareilles. She reaches the volume’s button and the increases the sound.

 

“I love this song.” She confessed than hums to the tune of the song. Taeyeon stares at the radio-listening to the English lyrics that was sang along with the beautiful sounds of instruments in the background. She couldn’t quite understands what it meant, but she does know it is a love song.

 

Oh, you loved me 'cause I'm fragile,

When I thought that I was strong,

But you touch me for a little while,

And all my fragile strength is gone,

 

                Jessica sings to the lyrics of the song and somehow the meaning hits her inside. She becomes quiet as all of the sudden she remembers about her late-sister. She always acted tough with the people around her, even when there were moments she was actually scared and fragile inside. Soojung never fails to see those through her. Jessica, no matter what, ended up in tears whenever her sister gave even the slightest touches because she felt that love, care and attention she wanted. Just being hold hand by Soojung, it melted away all those fragile in her-just like in the song. Now, to be honest, Jessica is actually feeling the vulnerability. She have so many thoughts inside her mind, so many questions that left un-answer. Although the moral supports she have been receiving, the feeling of loneliness never left her until- Jessica looks at the her hand and sees Taeyeon holding it. “Tae?” She was afraid that her patient was feeling uncomfortable or uneasy so she drives a little bit slower-not caring about the traffic and other cars honking at her.

 

                But, instead, Taeyeon takes Jessica’s hand up to her chest and rest her palm right on top of her heartbeat. She looks at the doctor with that smile of hers. Jessica blushes a bit. Thanks to the darkness, the redness of her cheeks are not noticeable. She didn’t understands what Taeyeon is trying to tell her. However, after a while, she finally understands. Unknowingly, she smiles too. Jessica is currently in a fragile state, especially now that her ‘illness’ had come back. She can easily ‘crumbles’ at any moment. But, Taeyeon, like Soojung, becomes the reason for her strength. Truthfully, the hardness she faces right now is beyond her expectation. She would always have this feeling of wanting to give up. Taeyeon makes sure Jessica knows that she is besides her through hardships. ‘Let’s move on together.’ Taeyeon remembers those words her doctor said a few days ago. That’s what they will do, moving on together.

 

 

 

 

Jessica’s POV

 

                I park my car at the usual place before turning off the engine. I turn my head to the side, looking at Taeyeon sitting beside me. She stares at the high building with those big, round-eyes of hers’ as slightly agape. I can’t count how many times I felt her being so cute, even when she do the simplest actions. Never the thought of her adorableness left my mind. I move my eyes downward-landing our hands that are still holding on to each other. It’s funny; how we automatically just interlace our fingers whenever we hold hands. As if, those hands are already fit for one another. I don’t know, it’s just a thought of mine. “Let’s-go inside.” I said to her. Taeyeon looks at me and I can clearly notices a bit of worriedness in her eyes. I smile sweetly at her. “Don’t worry, it’ll be fine. I’m here.” I reassured her. I’m aware that she is still have fear of facing the outside world again after she had left it for almost three years. Things are different than she last remembers. I want to make sure she can handle that fear.

 

I unbuckles my seatbelt, than goes out of the car. Taeyeon got surprise when I suddenly releases her hand. She becomes calm again when I walk to the passenger’s seat to open her the door. I reaches my hand out as I tell her to come out. She seems to hesitant at first. So, I give her a few words of encouragement. Finally, Taeyeon holds my hand, quite a hard grip I might add and exits the car. “See? There’s nothing to be scared of.” I chuckled when she scrunches her nose. The both of us walk together. Her body is so close to mine while she keeps her head down, avoiding the questioning dazes from the passer by. I keep rubbing my thumb on top of her palm so she would calm down. The cold breeze suddenly blows, causing the both of us to shiver. Taeyeon sniffling immediately attracts my attention. I look at her

***

“Is it too cold?” I asked. She only nods as a respond while her hand tugs lightly on my blouse. How can I be clumsy? She’s only wearing a thin, inner of an inmate’s jumpsuit. I mentally slap myself. Then, an idea pops into my mind. Without even thinking twice, I let go of her hand. I took off my coat than wrapping it around her before putting my arm on her shoulders. “Warm?” I simply asked. She slightly smiles to me and buries her face deeper into the collar of my coat. Her small fingers pulling the fabric more as she is need of more heat.

 

                I realizes we are too close to each other than expected after I smell that fruity scent of hers’. My heart beats faster without my permission as I feel my cheeks getting warmer. I didn’t think much earlier and now I feel embarrass.  But, at the same time, I feel comfortable. It makes me all ‘fuzzy’ inside. We got into an elevator to ride up at the floor of my apartment. Some of the people were shooting us with this weird look. Well, I don’t blame them. I never actually bring anyone to my home even a few of my friends including Hara. My parents? They never visited me either, I’m always the one to go back. So, yes, Taeyeon is the first ever person to see the place where I am currently living. ‘Ding’ The elevator have arrives at the floor. As usual, Taeyeon would clung on me as if her life depends on it. I have a bit of a hard time to walk towards the door and fetch my key inside my bag. After a while, I manage to unlock the door without Taeyeon letting go of me. I hold out my free arm to switch on the lights-revealing my messy and unarranged apartment.

 

“Welcome to my home.” I shyly introduced. Who wouldn’t be embarrass? Now that my head is much clearer, I can see how my home really looks like. I never really have much time to clean it up except for those beer bottles and empty cigarettes boxes on the coffee table and the kitchen’s counter. I have to a cleaning spree after this. I don’t think people would believe a psychotherapist lives here. “Sorry about the mess, I don’t really have the time to clean this place up.” I rubbed the back of my neck to ease the embarrassment.

 

Taeyeon shakes my hand a little bit and I look at her, she smiles at me. I guess she wanted to tell me that she did not mind at all. I sighs in relief.

 

                “I think you need to clean up first. You must be hungry and tired. I’ll order some food than after dinner, you can rest.” I said to her. Taeyeon only nods her head. I can see the tiredness through her eyes. Back at the facility, Taeyeon is not only physically abused but also mentally. I can imagine how much worriedness and un-easy feelings she constantly have. Perhaps, wondering the outside ‘world’ she had left for almost three years. Many things are new to her. It’s tiring to have those kinds of thoughts. I’m just glad Taeyeon is still able to cope with herself. Most patients will suffer very serious breakdown cases but she didn’t, which shows a side of Taeyeon that she have a strong spirit. I guide her towards my bedroom. I let Taeyeon sits on my ‘queen-size’ bed before go looking for some clothes for her. We almost have the same height, except I’m a few inches taller so I few clothes of mine that can fit her. I don’t want to see her wear any of the clothes she got from the facility as long as she lives in this  home.

 

I open the closet-looking for anything in my wardrobe that Taeyeon could wear. Then, I realizes I haven’t do my laundry yet for the past weeks. I only have a few tank tops left and short pants. Is God playing with me right now? I’m trying my hardest here not to do anything stupid to Taeyeon and letting her wear these won’t make it any easier for me. I shut my eyes while sighing heavily. I have to be professional despite my feelings for Taeyeon. I can’t be ‘selfish.’ After a ‘war’ of decisions in my mind, I finally take what’s left in my closet. “Sorry,” I put a blue-navy tank top and a short pants. “This is all I got.” I felt as my heart is about to jump out from my chest. Even my hands are getting sweaty. Taeyeon looks at the clothes I put besides her and calmly nods her head. Lucky for me, she didn’t think I’m some-kind of ert.

 

She tries standing up from the bed while her arms support her. But, her legs are still weak and trembling. I hold on to her before she falls down. “Hey, you’re still weak. Don’t force yourself.” I said to her. She shows a small smile and respond to my words with a nod again.

 

“I’ll help you.” Although the idea itself made me embarrass, I had to do it rather than let her fall on the floor. With baby steps, we walk together to the bathroom while I hold Taeyeon on the waist to support her. Since there is a bath tub, Taeyeon wouldn’t have trouble to take a bath on her own. Except, I have to be there and waits for her to finish. God, I’m just recovering from the time I had to bathe Taeyeon. I can only thought of how awkward I will be.

 

                Once we got inside, I help Taeyeon put her legs into the tub and she sits on the edge near the pipe so it will be easier for her to turn it on. “I’ll wait until you’re finish. Don’t worry, I won’t look.” I didn’t know why I even said that, it just slips out from my lips. Taeyeon chuckles, probably noticing my pinkish cheeks. I quickly turn myself around. “If you’re done, just tap on my shoulder. I’ll sit here-on the, toilet bowl.” Yes, I sound so awkward. I did sit down on the toilet bowl, with my back facing the tub. I don’t know where to look-the ceiling or the walls. Even though I have done it for three times, I still can’t manage to behave well in this situation. As my eyes look around, I stop and notices Taeyeon’s reflection on the mirror. I swallow the lump in my throat as my eyes grow wider in shock. How the I forgot about the mirror? My heart starts pounding faster when I see Taeyeon taking off her clothes-exposing her milky, white skin and smooth back. Her short hair shows her beautiful neck perfectly. Oh God, I might have a nosebleed at any second. I tried to look away but I can’t seem to stop myself from staring. She’s, just too much of a beauty.

 

I hold my chest tightly-forcing my mind to take my eyes off of Taeyeon and look down on my laps. ‘Have your sanity back, Jessica Jung.’ Even if I told myself that, I still couldn’t resist the urge to look at Taeyeon. So, I shut my eyes tightly while continue to let my head hung. I just have to endure a few more minutes. I heard the sound of water running and splashing out from the tub onto the floor. I heavily breathes as I try as much as I could to hold every bit of sanity I had left.

 

                It’s hard to be secretly in love, especially when that person is your patient and not to mention, we have the same gender. I can feel my nails dug deeper into my palms since I have been holding my hands into fits for a while. I’m sensing that my skin must have turn white too. No matter what, I can’t do any stupid actions or else I’ll lose her trust on me. I don’t know how long I have been enduring until I hear the sound of running water stops. I flinch when Taeyeon lightly taps on my shoulder. I awkwardly turn myself around-seeing her looking at me with those round, cartoony eyes of hers’. Water trickling down from her short hair onto her smooth skin. I almost lose it. Luckily, I was fast enough to grab a towel and gives it to Taeyeon. “Here, wrap yourself. I’ll drain the water.” I quickly got up and drains the water in the tub while Taeyeon sits on the edge; drying herself before wrapping the towel to cover her body. Thank God, it’s over.

 

“What do you want to eat?” I asked once we got back into the bedroom. Taeyeon is already wearing the tank top and shorts I gave to her. Honestly, she looks like an ordinary young woman or in my view, a teenage girl. She looks normal without the jumpsuit she always had on back at the facility. Her face seems much brighter than before. I’m thinking she feels better knowing she is in a safe place now and not under those thick, walls filled with mental-ill patients. It gives me a feeling of relief to see her this way. “How about black noodles? Sounds good?” I asked and she nods her head while yawning. She must be really tired.

 

I smile. “I’ll order the food and do some cleaning. You should rest.” I pat her head lightly and Taeyeon smiles back at me.

 

                I walk out from the bedroom and grab my phone I left on the kitchen’s counter. I order the food from a restaurant nearby before continuing my way to my office. I turn on the lights then walk towards my table to take a look of the file I receives my Hara today. Stephanie Hwang. I did some research about her through the internet. It turns out the company Taeyeon used to worked is one of the top companies in South Korea-often shown in business magazines and articles. I scroll through the links about the company in every pages, mostly about big projects and their success. Then, a certain link attracts my attention. ‘Board Leader of successful XXX company’s Marketing Team, KTY suddenly disappeared.’ KTY? Kim Taeyeon? Hara told me Taeyeon used to be one of the board leaders. What does it mean by disappears? Didn’t anyone knew that she was treated in a mental facility especially Stephanie, her own assistant and closest friend? Curiosity starts taking over my mind as I click on the link. It turns out to be a total disappointment when a notice said the page have been permanently removed a few years ago.

 

‘I have a feeling that someone didn’t want anyone to know about Taeyeon’s true identity.’

 

                I started to have the same thought as Hara. First, no information about her relatives and friends at all. No medical records. No school records. No nothing. To ensure my curiosity, I tried searching up Taeyeon’s name. If she worked at a huge, famous company, surely she would appear in the search results. But, what I got is no results about Kim Taeyeon. Hara might be right. Someone must have wanted to kept Taeyeon’s identity as a secret. That’s why any information related to her couldn’t be found. But, why would that person wanted to keep her existence as a secret? Could it be related to the one named Sunny, the persona in Taeyeon’s past? Whatever it is, Taeyeon’s case is beyond my expectations, it’s certainly bigger than what just written in her file. Stephanie Hwang is the only person that could give me answers to my questions. I believe she knows a lot. If I get those valuable information especially about ‘Sunny’, I’ll certainly be able to help cure Taeyeon’s mental illness. I decided I will try meeting Stephanie tomorrow. Hopefully, she would believe me and gives me the chance to have a talk. Knowing that she only met necessary people, she must be the type that doesn’t trust a person that easily and it happens for a reason. I don’t have much time since I need to start on Taeyeon’s treatment. I can’t do it since there are still so much I must know about Taeyeon. I barely know her except for a few. It’s not enough for  me to move onward. I take my phone to send a text message to Hara.

 

[To xxx]: Hey, I need a favor.

 I instantly got a reply after a few seconds.

[xxx]: You know I would do things for you. What you need, girl?

I tap on my phone’s screen and send a reply.

[To xxx]: I have to see Stephanie Hwang tomorrow. I don’t have much time. You’re the only person I trust the most right now. Could you please watch out for Taeyeon while I’m out? To keep her safe.

This time, I have to wait for minutes for Hara’s answer. She must be thinking either she would do this favor for me or not. I hope she will. I know Hara is a busy person, but I can’t rely on anyone else to do this job besides her. The last time I left Taeyeon alone without any protection, she got attacked and almost by a lunatic man. No, I don’t want the same thing to occur twice. I won’t let Taeyeon get hurt again. Once I hear a ‘ding’, I immediately look at my phone and a message had arrive. I silently pray while my finger tap on the screen to open the message.

 

[xxx]: Sorry it took me quite long to give an answer, I was clearing my schedule. I called some of my customers to postpone our meetings. Just tell me when to come tomorrow and I’ll be there.

 

I smile and let out a sigh of relief.

 

[To xxx]: Thanks, Hara. I’ll text you the time tomorrow.

 

                I put my phone on my desk and leans my back on the chair. Two weeks. I am curious if my skills are capable enough to get Taeyeon to talk again. She have been ‘trapping’ herself inside her mind for almost three years due to an emotional pain that was just too much for her to bear with. Whatever happened in the past, it sure made Taeyeon traumatized enough to make her not talking again. I look at the board, staring at the name ‘Sunny.’ I’m really curious of this person’s identity is. Taeyeon became mentally ill because of the persona. I do wonder what actually the cause of her or his death? Sickness? Accidents? For whatever reason, I knew Sunny’s way of death is the main reason that traumatizes Taeyeon. The sound of doorbell interrupts my thoughts. I quickly turns off the computer and gets up from the chair to go open the door. A young man stands there with my food delivery. “Food delivery.” He said. As he takes out the black noodles and a few side dishes, I count the money to pay for the food.

 

“Here you go.” I paid him. He smiles and walks away. I serve the food on the coffee table and turns on the television that shows a random Korean drama. Once I’ve finish preparing, I go to the bedroom. I was about to call Taeyeon but I stop when I see her sleeping peacefully on my bed. Her body slightly curl, like a shrimp and her hair covering half of her face. I quietly stand beside the bed and takes the blanket to cover Taeyeon so she won’t feel cold. I stare at her for a moment-my hand moves a few strains of her hair and tucks it behind her ear. I lean forward, lightly pecking her on the forehead. I inwardly chuckles when Taeyeon scrunches her nose. She looks adorable. Seeing her sleep peacefully like this, it lightens the burden in my chest a bit. I can’t wait to see Stephanie tomorrow. I need answers. Who is Sunny? What happened in Taeyeon’s past? What’s their connection? Then, I can help Taeyeon.

 

“Just wait. We’ll move on, together.” I exit the bedroom and goes back to the living room. I guess I’ll be having another lonely dinner tonight. I open myself a can of beer and leans my back on the couch. I look at the portrait of Soojung I’ve hanged on the wall.

 

Cheers, Krystal.

 

***

Author’s POV

                Jessica wakes up the next morning at the sound of her alarm ringing. She grunts while her hand reaches for the loud phone of hers’ on the coffee table. Once she manages to turn it off, she lays back on the couch to continue sleeping. But, Jessica changes her mind when she realizes that she’s inside of an empty room. It’s not her apartment or anywhere familiar. Just a plain, white-painted room. She stands up from the couch and walks around the room; her eyes wandering around trying to found a clue on why she is here. There are no doors or windows, only walls everywhere. Jessica feels confuse at this moment. Suddenly, she hears a light thud behind her and she immediately turns around to see what is it. In front of her is a portrait of a young woman, probably the same age as her. She have slightly chubby cheeks, small eyes, plump lips colored with pink and a short-cut hair colored in yellow. Jessica didn’t know the person in the painting. She never even saw her before. Perhaps, she met her in the past but just can’t remember it. Jessica isn’t sure. But, without realizing, she is already approaching towards the painting.

 

When she stands close to the canvas, the temperature suddenly drops. The room feels colder than before. Jessica wrap her arms around herself to keep warm and resumes to concentrate back on the self-portrait. She trace the tip of her fingers on the painted canvas-wondering the identity of this person. “Who are you?” She whispered under her breath. Suddenly, the light in the room went out-making it completely dark except for the spotlight shining straight at the painting.

 

                Jessica leans forward to take a better look at the portrait. The dry paints on the canvas start to melt; the colors beginning to mix together. “W-what the-?” Jessica is not able to finish her words when she sees the eyes in the painting have red color dripping from the eyes-as if the portrait is crying blood. The colors continue to melt, mixing more until the portrait becomes a complete mess. The room becomes colder to the point Jessica is shivering. She kneels on the floor when she feels a strong hit on the head. She is grunting in pain and her breath starts to suffocate. Jessica ends up falling on the floor, her body curls like a ball as she holds her chest tightly. Her vision is getting blurry. She looks at the painting with half-open eyes. That moment, she sees the portrait full of red color and flames suddenly burst, burning the painting. Jessica can’t breathe anymore. She feels her whole body become numb. She couldn’t move.

 

“Ah!” Jessica immediately awoke as she gasped. She is already sweating and her heart beating in a rapid pace while her breathing is fast. She looks around the place. A sigh of relief escape through her lips, turns out it was only a bad dream. She is actually in her room, on bed with Taeyeon still sleeping besides her. “For God sake.” She let in and out a deep breath to calm herself. “Calm down, it’s just a dream.” She mentally told herself. With trembling fingers, she push her hair to the back and wipe the sweats on her face. She had experienced many nightmares due to her depression, but it always because of her late-sister, Soojung. The young woman on the painting she saw in her dream is unknown to her. Jessica tries to think of the person’s identity-to see she have meet her before in the past. Her thought got interrupt when Taeyeon suddenly moves and hugs her waist. A small smile immediately appears on Jessica’s lips. At least, seeing this favorite patient of hers’ ease the fright she had earlier. She decides not to think much about it. She takes her phone on nightstand and realizes the time is already 12.05 PM. The beer she had last night helps her to sleep more than she usually could. She  sees a text message from Hara about an hour ago and taps the icon to open it.

 

[xxx]: I’ll come at 1.

 

                Jessica types a short reply to Hara before putting her phone aside. She looks at Taeyeon, who was still sleeping next to her. Jessica gently release Taeyeon’s arm from her waist and tries not to wake her up. But, the slight movement got the girl awake from her sleep. Taeyeon slowly open her eyes-blinking a few times to adjust her sight and finally looking at Jessica. The doctor smiles. Even in the morning, Taeyeon still looks incredibly pretty to her. “Good morning.” She greeted. Taeyeon responds back with a smile. “It’s a bit too late for breakfast, how about lunch?”  Jessica asked. Taeyeon nods her head and go on to stretch her limbs. After a long rest, her body have gain strength. She’ll probably can walk on her own but her condition is still a bit weak. At least, Jessica won’t have to lose her mind today since Taeyeon could take a shower by herself now. “How about you go freshen yourself first? I’ll go see what’s in the kitchen.” Jessica ruffled on Taeyeon’s hair as she talked. Taeyeon nods again with her lips slightly pouting (not on purpose.)

 

“I get you some clothes. Now, go.” Jessica lightly pats Taeyeon’s cheek and gets up from the bed to take clothes from her closet. Taeyeon soon stands up from the bed too and carefully makes her way to the bathroom, trying not to stumble because of her still, weak legs. She closes the door once she got inside.

 

                Jessica manages to find a pair of jogger pants and a blue t-shirt with an ice cream cartoon printed on it after looking through the closet. It would have been better if she founds those last night. She didn’t need to argue with her insanity due to Taeyeon’s exposed skin. Well, at least she made it through. She lay the clothes on top of the bed and walks out from the bedroom to the kitchen.  She looks into the refrigerator, to see if there’s anything that she can cook. After getting some ingredients out, Jessica ties her hair into a messy bun and wears an apron before she starts prepping. She decides to cook ‘Kimchi Fried Rice’ for today. She used to make it a lot back in the days. Soojung always praised her, although the fried-rice would always had lack of taste. She ends up cooking the dish today with the thought of having Taeyeon eat something her late-sister used to favor in the past. Jessica have her back turn. She is focus on frying and mixing the rice in the pan that she didn’t realizes someone is approaching from behind.

 

“Omo!” She flinches when she felt a pair of arms hugging her waist and a burden on her shoulder. She slightly turns her head around, to see Taeyeon resting her chin on her shoulder whilst back-hugging her. Jessica can feel her cheeks getting warm. Taeyeon’s wet, messy hair and her extra, pink lips cause the doctor to lose her mind a bit. Sometimes, she have a thought that Taeyeon is purposely doing this to but the patient really have no other intention as such.

 

“I-I’m cooking Kimchi fried rice. Do you like it?” Jessica asked, trying to push her nervousness away. It didn’t help at all when Taeyeon looks at her with those beautiful, brown-eyes of hers’. Their faces just inches away. She smiles – saying she loves Kimchi fried rice. If Jessica loses her self-control now, she would already kisses Taeyeon but thankfully her will to resist is strong enough. She clears . “How about you go and sit? I’ll give you a yogurt drink as an appetizer.” Taeyeon nods and do as she is told. With a bit of strength she have, Taeyeon pushes herself up to sit comfortable on top of the island’s kitchen. She cross her legs. It must be a habit of hers’ in the past. Jessica grabs a grape flavor yogurt drink and gives it to Taeyeon. “Now, wait for mommy to finish cooking, arrasso?” She used the term ‘mom’ as a joke. Taeyeon chuckles at her words and once again nodding her head before enjoy drinking the yogurt.

 

                Jessica continues cooking, but at the same times her mind is focusing at the person behind her. Secretly, she glances at Taeyeon, which have never been a good idea now her heart almost burst. How can that young woman seduces her by just drinking a yogurt? Her eyes go down to look at the pink lips. Jessica swears she almost pass out when Taeyeon her bottom lip. For others, she might look like a kid considering her height and small-figure. However, Jessica’s view of her patient is different. Let’s just say that baby-face, quiet woman is every bit of soul of hers’. “Ouch!” Jessica pulls back her hand and looks at the burned area on her skin. She have been zooning out by her crush that she accidently have the side of her palm too close to the pan. Taeyeon quickly gets off from the island-having her legs a bit shaky upon landing on the floor. She approaches her doctor with a worried expression.

 

“Ah,” Jessica forces a smile, although she is feeling painful. “I’m fine. I’m really clumsy, this happens a lot.” She fakes a chuckle which is an awkward one. Taeyeon sighs heavily as she pouts. She reach out her hands to touch Jessica’s injured one. She gently brings it up to her face before she softly kisses the burned skin. At that moment, all the pain seems to have wash away. Taeyeon looks back at her, then smiles. Her eyes squinted in a cute way and her dimple showing. Jessica couldn’t help but smiling back, a genuine one this time.

 

“Wow.” A voice spoke from the kitchen’s door. Taeyeon flinches and quickly hugs Jessica’s waist as she hides behind the slightly taller woman. It’s Hara – looking at them with a playful smirk. She must have witnessed the little scene earlier in the kitchen. Jessica have tint of pink shades on her cheeks. Hara is the last person she wants to have seen her having a moment with her crush. That best friend of her is a teaser, an annoying one.

 

                “You know, you shouldn’t just barge into my house.” She tried to spoke calmly. Hara chuckles and pulls out the lollipop from inside . “Well, it’s a good thing I came. You might have burn your own home down.” She pointed at the smoking fan. Jessica curses herself for being forgetful. She turns off the stove and removes the pan to on top of a cloth to avoid the ingredients from burning. “Still a bad cook.” Hara said and the blonde only roll her eyes at her best friend’s remark. “You’re early than expected.” The private detective shrug her shoulders. She sits down on the dining table and looks at Taeyeon who is hiding even more behind Jessica. “She’s clingy. I’m guessing she’s the one. Kim Taeyeon, is it?” She smiles to make the atmosphere less awkward and tense between them. “I’m Hara. Jessica’s best friend and boss.”

 

“More like a side kick.” Jessica looks at Taeyeon. “It’s alright, she’s a bit off but she’s nice. Go and sit with her.” She lightly pats Taeyeon on the head.

 

“I won’t bite.” Hara playfully said.

 

                Taeyeon got hesitate at first. She encounters many strangers these past few days and she always hide from them. But, since Hara is Jessica’s best friend, she decides to have a bit of courage on getting to know a new person today. With a nervous heart, she lets go of her arms from Jessica’s waist and goes to sit at the dining table. Of course, her steps are slow and she keeps her eyes down on the floor all the time. Both Jessica and Hara find it amusing to see the shyness of this young woman. Once Taeyeon have sit down on the chair on the opposite side, Hara takes out a lollipop from her pocket and gives it to the short-haired woman. “A present for our first meeting.” She shows her pretty smile. Taeyeon love sweet things, actually. Her eyes sparkle upon seeing the sugary treat. She bows with her head as a ‘thank you’ before opening the lollipop’s wrapper and puts the sweet candy inside . Immediately, her body feels more energize because of the sugar.

 

“Delicious?” Hara asked. Taeyeon nods with a bright smile. Jessica feels relief to see the two going along just fine. Hara sure knows how to find ways on being close to people with her friendly attitude. She is opposite from Jessica, who’s cold aura made students fear her during the old days. She shook her head lightly with her lips slightly curve upwards. She continues cooking without her focus being bother.

 

                Once the Kimchi Fried Rice is done, Jessica serves to the hungry people waiting at the dining table along with few side dishes her mom had delivered a week ago for her. Taeyeon sure have her appetite back. She eats much more than the two women. Her body must have been so lack of energy and ‘begs’ to be given strength with food. Jessica feels glad to see her patient doing well than expected especially after the incident that had occurred recently. She didn’t eat much though. She currently have her mind occupied by the thought of meeting Stephanie today. There are many questions that desperately need to be answer. She is too curious about Taeyeon’s life in the past. What kind of person she was before and who is Sunny? ‘Sunny,’ that’s the one she must know as the persona gave such a huge impact on Taeyeon. Hara offers to do the dishes while Taeyeon lays on the couch after a heavy meal. She only stays there, her eyes watching the birds through glass door that leads to the balcony. She change to a sitting position when she hears the door of Jessica’ room open. She smiles but it fades when she sees the woman wearing formal clothes. She already have the idea that Jessica is going out, which means leaving her again.

 

“Taeyeon-ah.” Jessica walk towards Taeyeon that already seem to be sulking on the couch. She silently giggles at the obvious expression. She wish she can bring Taeyeon along or stays there. Unfortunately, she have to meet with Stephanie. Having Taeyeon with her might trigger risk in getting her answers. She tucks strains of Taeyeon’s hair and rubs her thumb on her cheek in a gentle manner. “Hey, I know I’m supposed to be here with you. But, I have to go out for a while for an important matter. Hara will be taking care of you while I’m gone. Don’t worry, you’ll be safe. I’ll get back as soon as I’m finish.” She said. Taeyeon have her lips pouting again (without her intention) and nods. Jessica is still a working doctor, she couldn’t have the woman being here all the time. Taeyeon feels sad but she understands. “Hey, I’ll bring you ice-cream when I get home. Sounds good?” Taeyeon immediately lightens up at the idea. She smiles while nodding. Jessica chuckles. “Alright, I’ll get going now.” She kisses her patient on the forehead, later feeling shy about it. Luckily, her cheeks didn’t turn pinkish though. She turns to Hara who just came out from the kitchen with a bottle of beer in her hand.

 

“Don’t get drunk, Hara.” Jessica warned. Knowing how a heavy drinker Hara can be.

 

“Ay, I know. I came here to baby-sit. Not to party anyway.” She answered and drinks greedily.

 

“Aigoo, this bastard.” She quietly whispered. “See you after this.” As usual, she pats Taeyeon’s head before going to the front door to wear her shoes. Taeyeon watches her until she have left the apartment. After that, she leans on the couch – having no clue on what she should do to spend the time while waiting for Jessica. Hara comfortably sits on the single couch with the half-emptied bottle. She looks at the quiet Taeyeon that’s currently fidgeting the hem of the t-shirt she’s wearing. An idea comes to her mind. She thought she should do something to help her best friend. Honestly, she have been worried about Jessica’s condition knowing her illness have come back. She is sure that it must be depression attacking her again. She knows exactly the way to make Jessica less stressful and it all can be done by Taeyeon only. Hara puts down the bottle on the table.

 

“Taeyeon, want to do something special for Jessica?” She asked. Taeyeon immediately looks at her with those curious, round eyes. Of course, she wants. Jessica have gone through a lot because of her and Taeyeon wants to return all those things she did. Hara cheekily smiles. “How’s your writing?”

 

***

 

                Jessica stands in front of the company’s building with anxiousness feeling in her stomach. She wonders if she have the opportunity to meet Stephanie today. According to the info Hara gave, this woman is a busy person. She might not be here and could be outstation or at some events. “You can do this.” Jessica mentally prepared herself to face this woman. With a deep breath and a prayer, she finally enters the huge building. After asking the receptionist at the counter, she rides the elevator the floor where Stephanie’s office is located. Every level she pass the knots inside her stomach is building up. Despite the nervousness, she is also excited about finally having her awaiting questions to be answer. Well, if that particular woman knows anything. But, Jessica have the feeling that she does.  The elevator let out a ‘ding’ when she arrives at the navigated floor. Jessica comes out, feeling quite awkward having to see curious eyes of office employees looking at her. She maintain her cold, calm expression. That’s what she is best at. She approaches a certain desk while ignoring the looks she receives. She recognizes the female behind the desk, she is Stephanie’s assistant. Her name is also mentioned in the file.

 

                The orange-haired woman seem to be busy focusing on the paper works scattering all over her work place. So, Jessica only clears to earn her attention. It’s loud enough to make the assistant to look up and notices Jessica’s presence. She immediately puts on a fake, awkward smile which Jessica detects right away. Yet, she just keeps up with it. “Hello, what can I do for you, miss?” She asked. Jessica also smile, the most polite one she could give. “Hi, my name is Jessica Jung. I’m here to see Ms. Hwang, please.” The assistant looks through the list of names her boss is meeting today and Jessica’s name is nowhere to be found. “Mm, I’m sorry, Ms. Jung. But, you have to book an appointment if you wish to see Ms. Hwang. She is busy and she don’t really have much of a free time.” Jessica have expected that.

 

“Look, I know I should follow that procedure. But, I’m in a big hurry here. I have a really important matter to discuss with your boss and it’s urgent. I must see her right away.”

 

“Then, you should’ve book an appointment if you want to see meet her so badly.” The assistant replied, rather coldly and rude. Probably, she is too tired to care about manners, stress or just her nature.

 

Jessica sighs heavily. “I would have. However, I did not have that time to call and organize a meeting. All I need is a few minutes of her time. This is an emergency, a matter of someone’s life.”

 

“I’m sorry, I cannot do anything. I am simply following the rules and it stated that you must book an appointment if you wish to see Ms. Hwang.”

 

“I’ve told you, I don’t have that time. Just let me meet her and I’ll leave after that. Break the rules for once in a while.”

 

The assistant is still being strict. Well, she’s only doing her job and she is following the rules to avoid getting fire or avoiding her boss to scold her. With a sigh, she answers, “I cannot. I apologizes for that. Now, please leave if you have no other businesses here.” At that time, she swears she sees Jessica’s eye twitch a little due to her anger. The doctor is a pretty hot-tempered person in reality.

 

“For God sake, I came all the way here just to meet her for a while. I have no time. I must see her now.” Jessica’s voice turned colder. Their conversation starts to gain attention from other employees. Well, Jessica simply did not care. The assistant is really being ‘a pain’ in the .

 

“Ms. Jung, whoever you are, please. Kindly leave before I call the guards.” The assistant threatened. However, all she got is a sarcastic chuckle from the other. Jessica curls her hands into fists, trying to hold herself from shouting this younger woman on the face. Why does she have to make things difficult? Jessica must see Stephanie and she determines on getting what she wants. “I’ll just go by myself then.” She turn her heels and approaches the glass door with the name ‘HWANG’ on it. “No, Ms. Jung! Guards, come here!” She shouted before blocking Jessica’s way. The doctor gives her a very cold look. Her icy glare pierce through her eyes. “Step aside.” She said with a deep, low tone. “Leave the building, Ms. Jung.” Yet, her warning got ignore. Jessica just pushes her aside and walks closer to the door. But, before she could even make it, a guard already comes to drag her away.

 

“Let’s go.” The man said. But, Jessica keeps standing on the same spot while trying to pull her arm away. If she didn’t work as a doctor, she would have kick this man on the man like she did back during her years in high school. For a lady, she is quite strong and the man’s short figure did not help him at all.

 

“I-must see her!” Jessica tries to pull her arm from the guard’s grip. The scene immediately have all the employees looking at them curiously – wondering what’s the fight is all about. It also gains attention from a specific red-headed woman wearing a suit.

 

“Ms. Jung, please leave before-.” The assistant couldn’t finish her words when the door of the office swings open and someone walks out from the air-conditioned room. She blows a few strains of her hair from her face as she throw a sharp gaze at the three people that was creating a ruckus. “Stephanie Hwang.” Jessica immediately recognizes.

 

“What are you doing? I’m doing my work here and all of you are being noisy outside. Do you think this is a playground where you can fool around like immature kids?” For a first scolding, she throws a lot of words, Jessica thought. No wonder rumors say she is strict and scary. Her high heels make lighting, clang sounds as she approaches the two women. The guard left as he did not want to be involve in the mess. Stephanie’s eyes look at her assistant and then turns to the woman she did not know. She maintain her cold gaze. “Who are you and what is your business here?” Jessica fix her clothes and straighten her back. They would almost have the same height if Stephanie did not wear tall, high heels. “I’m here to talk to you about an important matter. It’s urgent.”

 

“Did you book an appointment?” Stephanie asked. Seriously, is it really that necessary to book an appointment for even just for a brief meeting? Jessica sighs. “No, I did not. But, I-.”

 

“Then, you should leave.” Stephanie cut her words. “I have no time to see someone without anything important to discuss related to my work. I have my schedule full. So, I suggest you go.”

 

“Ms. Hwang, listen to me. You don’t understand. This is really important, but I cannot say it in front of all these people. Please, spare me some time to talk to you.” Jessica said. However, Stephanie did not listen. She gestures her hand at the guard to Jessica out and turns her back on her.

 

“Leave while I’m still being nice.” The guard from earlier warned. He tries to drag Jessica to the elevator but the doctor stays there – still refuses to leave. Her eyes staring at Stephanie who is walking further away from her. “Hey, move it!” The guard threatened.

 

“Miss, please do as he says.” The orange-haired assistant said. No, Jessica cannot waste much more time. Mr. Lee only gives her exactly twelve days. If she did not succeed, she will make everything worse. She won’t be able to see Taeyeon and her patient will spend the time longer in the facility. She will not let that happen. For what she is about to say is risky, but as long as she is able talk to Stephanie. “It’s about Kim Taeyeon!” She half shouted. The mentioned of this specific name made Stephanie to stop at her pace and slowly turns around at Jessica with a surprise look on her face. “W-what did you say?” Jessica pulls her arm away from the guard’s grip and looks straightly at the woman in front of her. “I came here to talk about Kim Taeyeon.” With that, Stephanie immediately approaches Jessica, holding her wrist. She looks at her assistant with slightly wide eyes.

 

“Cancel every meeting I have for the next two hours.”

 

“H-huh? But, Ms. Hwang-.”

 

“Don’t question me and just do it. Don’t bother us in the office. Don’t let anyone come to see me, arrasso?” Stephanie sounded much more serious than before.

 

“Y-yes, Miss.”

 

Stephanie walks back to her office while dragging Jessica with her from behind. Once they got inside, she immediately closes the door and securely locks it before turning to Jessica. The doctor expected to see another one of her cold gazes, but to her surprise Stephanie is having teary eyes. “You’re not lying, right? About Taeyeonnie, you really do-know her?” Jessica bit her lower lip while nodding her head. “Yes, I do.” She answered. Stephanie’s tears fall down onto her cheeks as she covers . That cold, strict woman she puts up earlier is gone at the name she wishes for so long to hear again. She sniffs, trying to hold her crying sounds. “T-Thank God, she’s-alive. She is, okay.” Stephanie said while clutching her chest. As if a huge burden have been lifted from her shoulders and replace with relief. Jessica founds it weird. Why would Stephanie said that? It’s like Taeyeon have disappears from her life without any notices. She cannot help but being curious. “I’m sorry, but why did you said that? I mean, didn’t you know where Taeyeon is all these time?”

 

Stephanie wipe away her tears and looks at Jessica. “We have been searching for her for so long. Taeyeon is taken away from us by force and got missing for the past three years.”

 

“What?” Hara is indeed right. There is more to Taeyeon than just being a scared-heart patient. Behind this, there is actually a more twisted story that leads Jessica something beyond her expectation. 

 

A/N: Oh gosh, finally finished this part. Sorry it took so long ^^' I'm busier now that finals are coming up next week. I am relief that I managed to finish for my readers before I go back to University. :) Anyways, as always, thank you so, so much for all the support you gave to me. Hello to both old and new subs :D Hopefully you'll enjoy this short part. See you in the next update ;) (BTW, I wanted to recommend some fiction. I'm interested in reading Gfriend's fiction these past few weeks. I notice not many authors write about them. But, I do find two-four good ones. I recommend reading Time Flies (YujuxSinb) and Ink (SinbxSowon). Check these stories out!)