PART 4

FOREVER: EP 2

PART 4

 

Author’s POV

 

                Jessica wakes up and feels a burden on top of her chest. She blinks her eyes a few more times to clear her sight. When she slightly turns her head downwards, she sees Taeyeon sleeping peacefully with her head lying on her chest while her arm hugging Jessica’s waist tightly. The young doctor slightly smiles at the scene- makes her feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Her arm is feeling sore right now but she didn’t mind. She loves the warmth they shared together. She got stiff when Taeyeon snuggles closer to her neck. Taeyeon’s hot breathe brushing against her skin causing her cheeks to get all red. Jessica has always been this composed type of person so she rarely has her face all red out of embarrassment. She only has her face red when she is too drunk. Jessica’s body stiffens a bit too much that Taeyeon got uncomfortable and ends up slowly waking up from her sleep. Jessica quickly close her eyes back and pretend to be asleep.

 

                Taeyeon rubs her sleepy eye and looks at the woman lying besides her. She sees Jessica is still sleeping. She is still shy to talk so she only pokes her small finger on Jessica’s cheek to wake her up. Jessica keeps still. Taeyeon frowns and pokes her cheek again but Jessica didn’t give any responds. She keeps poking her cheek many times until Jessica couldn’t take it more and burst into laughter. She turns around at the confuse Taeyeon with a smile on her face. “Morning, Taengoo.” She greeted. Taeyeon didn’t say anything, instead she place both of her palms on Jessica’s cheeks. Her round, brown-eyes staring straight at her. Jessica could feel her heart beating faster. No wonder those eyes of hers’ are the one that Jessica finds to be her most favorite feature. Just being staring by Taeyeon makes her all shy inside. Jessica snaps out from her daze when a familiar whaling sound coming out from Taeyeon’s stomach. She is hungry.

 

“You’re hungry, huh?” Jessica chuckled. Taeyeon nods her head. “Just wait here. I’ll ask a staff to bring some food.” She gets up from the bed and straightens her clothes. “Wait, okay?” Taeyeon nods again. Jessica pushes the metal door. She has to use all her remaining strength since the door is so heavy for a woman. When she got out from the so-called-room, some officers outside is surprise to see her presence.

 

“Good morning, officers.” Jessica greeted while slightly bowing.

 

“Dr. Jung,” The officer from last night approached her. “I thought something happened to you. You didn’t-“

 

“I am fine, officer. My patient just needed my company. She still recovers from yesterday’s event.” Jessica instantly replied. The younger man only nods his head. Then, an officer, maybe few years older than Jessica comes closer to them. He looks like a stern-type of person. You can know by the way he wears his uniform and his gestures. “Is that legal? A doctor to stay in a patient’s cell overnight?” He frowned. Jessica immediately has this usual cold-looks of her. She knows well that this kind of officer is the one that is always rude to doctors, judging by his voice. Disrespectful. “As a matter of fact, I am given the permission by Mr. Lee himself to do anything I want as long as it is good for Ms. Kim’s treatment.” Jessica confidently answered. She keeps her poker-face expression though. She could see the officer is not entirely happy with the idea.

 

“Are you sure you’re not lying, Dr. Jung?” He asked, raising his eyebrow in a cocky way.

 

“I do not lie. I am educated to be honest with my fellow co-workers. If you think I am lying, you can ask Mr. Lee yourself for confirmation.”

 

“I will.” With those last two words, he walks away, eyes glaring at Jessica before he left to the other officers. Jessica exhales loudly. That man is the first officer that she founds extremely annoying in the facility, considering Jin and the others are so nice to her. She feels a pat on her shoulder and she looks at the younger officer standing beside her.

 

“I’m sorry about Hye-yoon hyung. He tends to be really stern, even to doctors.”

 

Jessica slightly smiles. “It’s okay, officer. I understand. Some people are just like that. Mind telling me your name?”

 

“O-Officer Seungri.” Seungri replied. He shyly smiles at Jessica. Who wouldn’t? She is a beautiful woman.

 

“Well, officer Seungri, my patient hasn’t eaten since-I don’t know how long. She’s really hungry.”

 

“I see. I’ll ask a staff to bring her food.”

 

 

“Tell the staff to give it to me. I’ll be the one to help feed Tae-I mean, Ms. Kim. She is still fragile. She only trusts me to take care of her, for now.” Jessica explained. Officer Seungri raises his eyebrow, feeling a bit odd but for an unknown reason, he chose to believe Jessica anyway. It’s not like Jessica is lying. She is being very honest. “I’ll be right back.” The young officer rush towards to lift to get to the ground floor. Jessica leans her back on the wall as she massages her sore arm. The fourth floor is a bit quiet since only a few patients live there. Jessica feels someone is staring at her. She turns her aside and sees the officer earlier named Hye-yoon is still giving her this cold look in his eyes. Like Jessica would care, she just ignores him. She thinks it would better to let him be rather than having herself to get all angry. After a moment, officer Seungri comes back along with a female staff.

 

“Here’s the food you asked for, doctor.” She smiled and gives the tray to Jessica.

 

“Thank you.” Jessica takes a glance at Hye-yoon before going back to Taeyeon’s cell / room. Somehow, she didn’t feel comfortable. There is something about that man. How his vibe feels so dark to her. Maybe it is just her own imagination or hallucination due to lack of rest. But, that uneasy feeling she have could be true. Jessica shuts the thought away for a moment. She needs to focus on Taeyeon now. “Taeyeon, I bring you food.” Taeyeon quickly looks at her. Jessica’s eyes widen when she sees those wounds on Taeyeon’s wrist bleed. Not so much though. Just a little bit. She puts the tray on the table and rush to her patient. “Oh God, Taeyeon-ah, what happened?” She almost yelled. Luckily, she manages to hold her voice down. Those officers are still out there. She didn’t want to create any chaos.

 

Taeyeon show her hand where the nails on her finger have blood stains all over. While Jessica was gone, she had been feeling itchy on her wrist and scratched without noticing those wounds on her wrist. When she felt the sting feeling, she finally looked down to see those marks she made before. That was when Jessica arrived. The young doctor sighs. Taeyeon’s memory loss is worse than she has predicted. You see, Taeyeon never realized or even know what she had done. Jessica used the term ‘coma’ where Taeyeon built these walls around her that made her mind completely un-aware of the things she did. She is like a loss soul that left the body. When Jessica succeeded in breaking those walls Taeyeon have mentally built, it somehow brought back the real Taeyeon to her own body. So, basically, the Taeyeon for the pass three years are actually the self she created where it was only controlled by guilt and fear.

 

“Taeyeon, these marks, you made them yourself.” Taeyeon is completely clueless. She didn’t quite understand what Jessica meant. Jessica continues on. “It is complicated to explain about your mental illness. You might not understand. All I can say is that-you’ve hurt yourself so many times, Taeyeon. Even before I was your doctor.”

 

                Taeyeon take a look at her wounds again. She seems so lose. So confuse. Jessica notices through the look in her eyes. She pats Taeyeon’s lap gently to earn her attention. “It’s alright. Look, I’ll treat those wounds after your bath. Okay? You should eat first.” Jessica goes to the other side of the bed and takes the tray. She takes the spoon to scoop the rice. “Say ahh.” She pointed the spoon near Taeyeon’s un-opened mouth. “Ahh.” She opens her own mouth, gesturing her patient to do the same. But, Taeyeon only keeps herself still. She only stares at the spoon of warm rice. She already loses her appetite after hearing about that ‘mental illness’ of hers’. Judging by her expression, Taeyeon is obviously feeling depress about it. Jessica immediately catches that.

 

“Taeyeon,” Jessica called but Taeyeon didn’t look at her. She keeps her gaze on the spoon. “I know this is a hard fact for you to take. It was not your fault. I understand. That is why this is the time to recover yourself. If you feel sad about hurting yourself, so stop doing it. Starving is not a good first step to recovery.” Taeyeon only let out a sigh. Jessica thought of an idea. “Taeyeon-ah, Taeyeon-ah,” She called until the woman is looking at her. “Look, here comes the airplane. Pwwwhhhh!” Jessica lifts the spoon up in the air and makes it looks like a flying airplane towards Taeyeon’s mouth. Taeyeon still keeps quiet. Jessica didn’t give up though. She even makes her own sound effects; explosions, gunshots. She pretends as if the plane (spoon) is shot by an enemy and is about to fall. “This is pilot Jessica Jung. Captain Kim Taeyeon, I need an emergency landing in your mouth stat! I’m afraid the rice bomb will fall and you’ll get hungry!” Jessica said. Her childish act makes Taeyeon smiles and ends up giggling. This is the first time she sees that patient of hers’ smiling. Jessica couldn’t help but getting attracted by the beauty of Taeyeon once again. How she loves that deep dimple when Taeyeon smiled. Adds another level of her already pretty, natural-looks.

 

                When Taeyeon finally opens , Jessica feeds her the spoonful of rice. “The rice has landed safetly, Captain.” She said in this soldier-like manner. Taeyeon nods while slightly smiling. Jessica continues feeding Taeyeon without realizing a certain officer is stalking them from outside. He squint his eyes. He didn’t like this situation at all. Jessica is the first doctor to not be afraid of him. Instead, she argued back his words earlier. The officer clenches his fists and walks away. He will make sure that Jessica is gone to precede his little plan. A devilish smirk appears on his face. “Finish.” Jessica puts the empty tray aside. She looks at Taeyeon and notices a little stain on the corner of her lip. She leans forward to wipe it off using her thumb. “You’re a bit of a messy eater, aren’t you?” She chuckled. As usual, Taeyeon would only stare at Jessica with those rounds, brown-eyes of hers’. When Jessica’s eyes meet with hers’, she got all embarrass that her cheeks turn a bit reddish. Taeyeon leans a bit closer. “T-Taeyeon?” Jessica has her eyes open wide. She flinches when Taeyeon touches her chin and her thumb wiping the corner of her lip.

 

                Taeyeon then shows the small seaweed sticking on her thumb. At that moment, Jessica’s whole face completely turns red. The doctor mentally slaps herself for thinking that her patient would attempt on kissing her. Jessica clears and scoots a bit farther to get some distance between them. “How about a bath? Sounds good?” She asked to make the situation less awkward. Well, only for her. Taeyeon nods her head. The cell / room tend to be cold during night time. But, since she had to share her bed with Jessica, she got herself sweaty all night.

 

“Let’s go then.” Jessica helps Taeyeon to get onto the wheelchair before they ride to the ground floor with a lift. They go to the bathrooms for patients. Not much like the one in the other building. No benches. No place to hang clothes. No doors at some cubicles. The pipes are rusty and there’s even a shattered mirror. Jessica checks for the hygiene products. “Seriously?” She thought. A small un-scented soap. Besides that, nothing. No wonder Sooyoung’s hair is getting all puffy and wrinkly.

 

“There’s only-soap. Is it okay for you?” Jessica asked. Taeyeon nods her head. She thinks its better not having a bath at all. “Okay.” Jessica gets nervous again, not as much as yesterday’s though. She is still not comfortable with the feeling of stripping Taeyeon and helps to clean her up. The first time she did, it felt like she was in the bathroom for years. Although in reality, she is only there for about twenty minutes.

 

                Jessica kneels down in front of the wheelchair and reaches out her trembling hand. Taeyeon immediately holds her wrist. Jessica lifts her head up to look at her patient. “Y-Yes?” She nervously blinked her eyes. Taeyeon points herself and the cubicle in front of her. Jessica could only raise her eyebrow; she didn’t really understand what Taeyeon meant. Taeyeon tries again with the same gestures. Jessica looks at her while thinking the meaning of her gestures. After a while, she got it.

 

“You want to take a bath on your own?” Jessica asked and Taeyeon nodded. The young doctor is a little bit worry about this decision. Yes, Jessica is embarrassed and she wishes she won’t have to do it. But, Taeyeon hasn’t completely regained the strength to stand up. She could easily fall and hit her head or else get herself bruised. Now, Jessica understands the reason why Yuri is so freak out when she told her she wanted to go home by herself after that little accident. She can’t help to but to worry about Taeyeon’s safety.

 

“You don’t have to force yourself. You’re still recovering. I don’t think you can stand up long enough even for a quick bath.” Jessica said. However, Taeyeon shook her head. She wants to do it by herself. Jessica didn’t know that in Taeyeon’s mind, she feels like her lack of strength is burdening the doctor. Taeyeon don’t want to pamper herself, even with her current condition. She has to be strong.

 

                Taeyeon gives Jessica an encouraging look; to convince her that she will be doing just fine. Jessica sighs. If she wants Taeyeon to progress, she needs to give her chances to do things on her own. “Just-don’t fall.” Jessica warned and Taeyeon nodded. She gets the wheelchair in front of the cubicle’s door and pushes herself to stands up. Jessica just stands behind her to make sure she doesn’t fall or stumbles. Taeyeon holds on to the wall. Her shaky, weak legs walking slowly into the cubicle. “Slow down.” Jessica gently said. When Taeyeon manages to get inside, she turns to look at Jessica while pointing at the door. “Oh, right.” Jessica helps to close the door. She didn’t forget to say ‘be careful’ before the door is completely close. She leans on the wall as she waits for Taeyeon to finish showering. She could hear the sound of water running from inside.

 

                Jessica suddenly feels embarrass. The sight of Taeyeon’s exposed body gets into her mind. Maybe this is the effect after she helped bathing Taeyeon yesterday. Well, who would forget when you saw someone with a beautiful body? In Jessica’s case, she is secretly admiring the features of her favorite patient. Those perfectly shaped, round, brown-color eyes, her thin, pink lips and her slim yet slightly curvy body. Jessica knows this is wrong. She sounded like a erted doctor especially the one she is getting all-crazy about is a patient same gender as hers’. She is a doctor. So, this is not a right thing.

 

However, a small part of Jessica did not care. She didn’t want to be honest with herself but she cannot lie that maybe she has this little crush on Kim Taeyeon. From the first time she met that young woman, she was always attracted to Taeyeon. Another thing about Jessica is that not everyone knows that she is actually biual. That is why she is very open-minded about same genders couples including Seohyun and Hyoyeon. Although she never dated a girl before, she would crush on a few in the past.

 

                This one is different though. Somehow, she seems to feel very attach to Taeyeon. She remembers when that precious patient of hers’ was sent to the solitary confinement. Jessica becomes lost for a while without her patient’s presence. She cannot count how much she consumed alcohol and smoke for those past few days. Jessica knows her feelings for Taeyeon is going to get much worse if she won’t be able to hold herself back. If anyone finds out about this, she will be fired for sure. Her medical license might be taken away too. Jessica sighs to her own thoughts.

 

 No, she needs to remain calm, she told herself. She has to focus on the main goal; to cure Taeyeon and get her out from this facility. A thud sound besides her wakes her up from her train of thoughts. Taeyeon walks slowly while holding on the wall for support. Her weak knees are shaking. The only thing that is wrapping her body is a towel. Not even a clean one.

 

                Taeyeon tries her best to walk. Jessica could see she is struggling by the look of her expression. Taeyeon grunts when she almost fell down. She could feel herself getting so tired to the point she feels that she might collapse. One more pushes. Taeyeon takes a step forward. Since the wall is slippery, her hand couldn’t hold onto it much longer. She stumbles and falls down towards the floor. Taeyeon shut her eyes, waiting for the pain to come but it never did. Before her body could even hit the floor, Jessica dashes towards Taeyeon with her arms spread wide. She then catches Taeyeon before slipping and ends up falling on the floor with Taeyeon on top of her. Thankfully, she didn’t hit her head.

 

 “Ouch.” Jessica hiss. When she opens her eyes, she could see Taeyeon is worriedly looking at her. Jessica feels as if her heart has stop beating at the moment. She cannot even breathe. She is caught too deep by Taeyeon’s beautiful eyes.

 

Jessica’s POV

 

                I told myself I won’t fall harder for Taeyeon. I fail. She is beautiful, too beautiful in my eyes. I have always known there is something so special about her that I can’t quite say. Those words are on the tip of my tongue. All I know is how Taeyeon could make feel weak in the knees. She doesn’t need to flirt or touch me. Just being look by her is enough to get me feel as if I’m stuck on time. I am her doctor. Taeyeon is my patient. It’s illegal to be in love with her. But, why am I so stubborn?

 

Jin is a good guy. We both thought that we can have something special between us or is it just him that thinks like that. Out of many people, Taeyeon had to be the one that stole my heart. How long have I met her? Almost a month ago? I don’t know. I feel like I have known her for so long until I could develop the feelings of love for her. Those eyes of hers’ aren’t the only thing that is bothering my mind. I can feel the warmth of her exposed skin just on top of me. I am wearing clothes but still, I can clearly feel her warm skin.

 

                I look at her lips. No one is here. I could simply pulls Taeyeon closer and kiss her right now. I’m so curious, on how her lips will taste like? I wonder. Oh no, Jessica Jung! Get yourself a grip! If you do anything funny or weird to Taeyeon, you will get fired. You won’t be able to help Taeyeon. Calm yourself. Calm your ing hormones. Think straight! “Are you okay?” Great, I think my expression is looking awkward. Taeyeon didn’t say anything. She simply just nods her head. We both sit on the bathroom’s floor. My clothes got wet but I didn’t mind. Although, my back is feeling slightly painful because I fell down earlier.

 

Taeyeon tugs on my blouse and look at her. She seems to be worried. So, I give her a smile. “I’m fine. Don’t worry.” I patted her head. “Next time, please be careful. I know you don’t want to burden me. But, don’t force yourself too much. You’ll get hurt.” Taeyeon understands and nodding her head again. “Come on, let’s put on some clothes before you catch a cold. I’ll help you.” I said. Taeyeon didn’t hesitate. When I carried her, she securely wraps her arms around my neck. Somehow, I didn’t feel embarrass or shy. What I do feel is this fuzzy-kind of feeling inside of me. This warm, loving-type one. So much different that I felt beforehand.

 

I miss this feeling.

 

                I put Taeyeon down on the wheelchair. She wears the undergarments on her own while I help to put on the rest of her clothing. We hurriedly exit the bathroom before the other patients are released from their rooms to take showers. I don’t think Taeyeon is ready to be around with them. She is already scared enough knowing she have to live in this facility, inside that small room. I’m trying my best to avoid any possibilities of getting Taeyeon’s fear to get much worse. When we finally got back to ‘her’ room, I push the wheelchair closer to the bed so it would be easier to move Taeyeon on the bed. “Rest for a while. I have to contact someone.” I said. Taeyeon only nods. I take my phone and walk out from the room where the line is slightly better. I couldn’t call, a text message would do.

 

[To xxx: What time can you meet me?]

 

It took quite a few minutes before the message could be sent. I have to wait for Hara’s reply. I take the time to look around the building. I realize that not every floor is securely guarded. There are some that only needed two officers to guard. I could only speculate that the patients living there must be less-threatening. The second floor is guarded the most by the officers. I guess the patients that are put there must be dangerous. If an emergency happens like a patient losing control of their anger, the backup officers can easily get there. Of course, that is just my thought. Honestly, I have been feeling uncomfortable standing here. I’m not sure but I have this odd feeling that someone is stalking me from a far. That person is intensely staring at me that I could feel chills on my body.

 

Whoever it is, I am not feeling good about this person.

 

                My phone vibrated. I take a look at the message from the usual unknown number. It was indeed from Hara. She said she is currently busy handling a case and could only meet me after three or four in the afternoon. I turn my head around where I could see Taeyeon. I know she is scared to be alone at this place. She trusts no one besides me. So, for me to leave, even for a while just to meet Hara is hard. If I forcefully leave Taeyeon, I am sure she will loss her trust on me and I cannot let that happen now that I am so close of trying to cure her. I scratch my head. I thought after I managed to break down those ‘walls’ in Taeyeon’s mind, things will get much easier. Boy was I wrong. I really need this information. Knowing Hara for years, she is never the type of person to talk about a person’s information through the phone. She said it’s for safety reasons.

 

“What to do?” I sigh. Then, it hit me. There is only one way to do this. Since I am her doctor, I am certain that I am authorized to do this kind of stuff. I texted Hara that I can still meet her tonight at the usual place. After that, I sent a text message to someone very trustworthy.

 

[To Jin: Could you come to the patients’ building? I need your help.]

 

                I waited at the same spot for about twenty minutes. I hear the sound of the lift going up to the fourth floor and soon Jin walks out through the door. He hurriedly goes towards me. Out of all people here, Jin is the only one I have my full faith on when asking for help especially after all we have been through together ever since the first day I came here. He is my most trust worthy  friend. “Hey, I got your text. What kind of help do you need?” He asked as soon as we faced each other. “Jin, you know I trusted you the most here. Right?” He curiously looks at me but just nods to my words. I take a deep breath. I never intended to tell anyone about me hiring Hara to look for Taeyeon’s relatives or friends. But, I have to tell Jin though if I want his help.

 

“Before I tell you, you need to promise me that you won’t tell anyone about this.” I gave him this serious look. He seems to understand that I am very well serious about this matter.

 

“I won’t tell anyone. I promise.” He smiled.

 

“Alright,” I let out a long breath. “Taeyeon have no information about her relatives, friends or any relationships with anyone. She is still not ready to tell about her past life. It can take years for me just to get that part of the story and I simply cannot wait that long. So-I hired a private detective to do some background investigation about Taeyeon. Turns out, she does have a relationship with someone out there. I am not sure who but that person might know Taeyeon well and what had happened in the past. This is my only chance. But, I cannot leave this place since Taeyeon is being...too clingy with me. I can’t forcefully leave her or else she wills lose her trust on me and I cannot risk that.”

 

Jin nods his head. “I understand. Besides, you’re the only person that Taeyeon trusts. If you leave, I’m afraid no one could handle her.”

 

“Yes, that is why I have thought of a plan.”

 

“What plan?” Jin raised his eyebrow in a curious manner.

 

“There’s going to be a few more hours until lunch time. I’m going to be the one to give her meal. So, I thought of putting some ‘sleeping’ medicine in her food. After lunch, she will definitely falls asleep for hours and I can use that time to go out and meet Ha-I mean the detective then come back before she wakes up. Sounds good?” I asked for his agreement. He hums, thinking about this little plan of mine. “It’s a good plan.” I smile. “But, you do know that you can’t randomly use the drugs here even if you’re an authorized doctor. You need to get the permission from the higher-ups when you need those extra medicines for the patient.” My smile immediately turns upside down. Everything is more complicated that I have expected. Good, I run of ideas.

 

“But,” I immediately look at him. “I have a friend who could help you get those medicine-secretly.” He winked at me. As expected, Jin always knows how to do things here.

 

“Really?” I asked and he nodded. “Then, when can you give me?”

 

Jin looks at his wrist watch to check for the time. “I still have duty with Dr. Oh. But, I think I can give you the medicine half an hour before lunch time.” He answered.

 

“Okay, let’s just meet here then.” I said.

 

                With that, Jin hurriedly left the building. I watch him getting into the elevator until the doors are closed. I know that Jin has only been assigned here as an officer about two, three years ago yet his influence here is no joke. Considering that he works to keep the archives and records save, he is usually the officer to work inside an office for most of the days. So, for him to know and to be known by many people, I am still amused by that fact. I guess he just knows how to get things done here. I go back inside and close the heavy door. I have asked Seungri not to lock it. He was hesitance at first since they never let a door unlock before. But, I reassured him that Taeyeon will be no harm to others. I sit down on the chair near the bed. Taeyeon immediately turns to the side so she could look at me. I smile at her.

 

“Did I wake you up?” Taeyeon blink her eyes cutely while shaking her head. “Your eyes look tired. You don’t want to sleep?” I asked. She shakes her head again. I swear that I could just hug this adorable patient of mine and give her butterfly kisses. She is so cute! I clear my throat to calm my excitement. “You don’t want to sleep or you just can’t?” I asked again. I found out that Taeyeon is really scared of going back to sleep because of her constant nightmares. That’s why she kept waking up last night. I have to calm her down so many times until she could sleep again. I can see her sighing. She must be tired right now. “How about we do something else?” I said. Her eyes lighten up a bit. I get up from the chair and walk towards the furniture. I remembered seeing a puzzle box when I was taking her clean clothes earlier.

 

                I open the small furniture. Indeed, there’s a box of puzzles inside. My face brightens up and I take it out. I close back the furniture before going back towards the bed. Taeyeon looks at the puzzle box I’m holding so I put it down so she could see it clearly. “I used to play puzzles with someone I really love when I was a kid.” I open the box to reveal the pieces of the puzzle. It’s about 300-350 pieces. “She used to whine a lot when she couldn’t finish a picture puzzle.” I chuckled to myself as I reminisce back the memories I used to share with her during childhood. Taeyeon just stays still while I scrambled the puzzle pieces on the bed. I consider this as one of my session. Just an informal one though. It’s one of my plans; to get myself closer to Taeyeon. I have this thought that Taeyeon hasn’t fully putting her trust in me. That is why she wasn’t ready to talk-to tell her story. I want to make our bond stronger until she feels comfortable enough to be around me.

 

“I’ll pick the first piece.” I said. I take one piece of the puzzle and put it in the middle. “Now, you pick one.” I pointed at her. Taeyeon look down at the puzzle pieces. I couldn’t help myself but to smile when I see her eyebrows frowning in a very cute manner. She must be thinking hard. “Just pick anything; you don’t need to match mine.” I told her. Taeyeon seems to disagree with me though. “Why? You want to find the matching one so it would faster?” I asked and she quickly nodded. I lightly laughed. “Alright, take your time.” I smiled. After a few minutes, she found the piece that matches with the one I picked earlier. She takes it and puts it on together. “Wow, you’re pretty quick. It’s my turn.”

 

Author’s POV

 

                “It’s my turn.” Jessica said. It didn’t take long for Jessica to find the next piece for the other two. Since her eyes are sharp, she could easily find the piece without a problem. Taeyeon wanted to be as quick as Jessica too. She constantly frowns; her eyes looking for the perfect piece while she thinks. But, Taeyeon is a bit of a slow person. She needs more time to find the piece that matches the others. Jessica, on the other hand, just watches the way Taeyeon works-observing how the woman works. Jessica notices one of Taeyeon’s attitudes. She is not the type to seek help from people as long as she thinks she could do it. Jessica knows since Taeyeon didn’t even look at Jessica when it was her turn to find the puzzle piece. Going back to early in the morning, where Taeyeon wanted to take a bath on her own.

 

                After a while searching and matching the puzzle pieces, the picture starts to get clearer. Jessica could see Taeyeon becomes excited judging by the look of her sparkling eyes. She becomes a bit faster than earlier. Since the picture becomes clearer to them, Taeyeon knows exactly which piece to match with the other one. Piece by piece-the picture becomes bigger and bigger. Taeyeon gets eager on trying to finish it quicker. Jessica smiles. “Since there’s only a few pieces left, how about you put together those last ones?” She suggested. Taeyeon looks at Jessica and nods her head before going back to focusing on the last few puzzle pieces. Her trembling, weak hand each one after another; putting piece by piece. Jessica did not bother to budge in and just lets Taeyeon do the work. She only sits there with her arms cross. Finally, the puzzle pieces are all put together and the picture is completed. It was a picture of a blue-colored butterfly with sparkling, blue, neon-like lights around it’s’ wings. Taeyeon loves the sight of the picture.

 

“Congratulations, you finished!” Jessica applauds. Taeyeon did the same as she proudly looks at the complete puzzle. She really loves that picture of the blue butterfly. Jessica leans forward. “Beautiful, isn’t it?” The two of them looks at each other and Jessica smiles at her patient.

 

“Let me tell you something, Taeyeon-ah and listen carefully.” She said while tracing the tip of her finger on the puzzle pieces. “Life is like puzzle pieces. You will face good times; you will face hard ones too. There is nothing in this life that can be perfect. Like scrambled puzzles, your mind can sometimes be blurry. You don’t know what to do. How to escape? How to get yourself out from all this pain and confusions? There are times you can put those puzzles together. But, there are times that you can’t finish those puzzles all at once on your own.” Jessica pulled Taeyeon’s hand above the puzzles. “You will get angry, hurt and sad. You think you can never find that solution-that, bigger picture you wanted. That is when I come.” Jessica holds Taeyeon’s hand. “Like I helped you earlier, I put one puzzle while you find the matching one until we get the clearer picture for you to finish. Just like life, I want to help you put those puzzles back together and make you happy again instead of hurting. I just want you to know, Taeyeon-ah...that you don’t need to be afraid of telling me-the truth.” Jessica said while holding Taeyeon lovingly on the cheek. Taeyeon looks down on her laps. She opens , about to speak a word and Jessica anticipates what she is about to say. But, Taeyeon quickly hold back her voice when someone knocks on the door.

 

Jessica sighs loudly. She almost got the answer she wanted and someone just has to interrupt her. Taeyeon quickly hug her folded legs and hide her face. “Don’t worry. It’s just an officer.” Jessica calmed her.  She stands up and opens the heavy, metal-door. Turns out, the officer is Jin. If it was another person, Jessica would already be yelling right now. Don’t worry, she won’t do it anyway. Probably in her imaginations only.

 

“Here is the medicine you asked.” Jin looks around to make sure no officers see them and hands the small pack of medicine to Jessica secretly.

 

“Thanks, Jin.” Jessica quickly puts it inside her pocket. She didn’t want Taeyeon to see what she just got. Her patient is no fool. She could catch things faster than people thought and if she sees that pack of drugs, she will surely be suspicious.

 

“The medicine will last for quite a long time. Right now, it’s 1 o’clock. So, it would probably last until seven or eight. Of course, it depends on the person. Taeyeon might wake up before or after six.” Jin explained.

 

“Just hope that she won’t.” Jessica said. She didn’t want to risk the trust Taeyeon already have towards her. She won’t lose it. However, she cannot help but worrying about Taeyeon’s safety. She has this odd, bad feeling-that something not good will happen tonight. She has been feeling it since earlier after she met that particular, stern officer. Jessica doesn’t want Taeyeon to get hurt. “Are you on duty?” Jessica asked. Jin raises his eyebrow, “I do. Until six. Why?”

 

“I don’t want to burden you but you’re the only officer that can help me here. I really hope you won’t mind.”

 

Jin smiles sweetly at Jessica, “I will never be burden when it comes to helping you. I’m guessing you wanted me to take care of Taeyeon while you’re gone, right?” Jessica immediately chuckles. They might know each other for about a month ago but the two sure knows how to read each other’s’ minds.

 

“Is it really okay for you to help?”

 

“Yes, I am very sure. Besides, I don’t really trust the officers here myself. Not everyone here have good intentions. Some would take advantages on patients and I don’t want Taeyeon to be one of those victims.”

 

                Jin is right. Jessica thinks the same thing too. As long as she is here, Taeyeon won’t get hurt by anyone. But, she will never know once she left, there might be someone that might take advantage. “I really owe you, Jin.” She smiled. Jin could see a few officers going out from the elevator so he immediately distances himself from the young doctor to avoid any suspicions. Jin sends a signal to Jessica-saying that he will come back after this before walking away-pretending as if he is only strolling around to patrol the building. Jessica gets back into the so-called room and when she is about to close the metal door. A familiar officer passes by. He gives this cold look at her. Jessica got a bit surprise when he suddenly smirks at her. ‘What’s wrong with him?’ She thought. Such a creepy man. She shoves the metal door to close it. Taeyeon hurriedly go towards Jessica and hugs her tightly. Jessica is surprise but she understands that Taeyeon is just scared.

 

                Jessica smiles and lovingly pats her on the head. Taeyeon only looks at the young doctor with her round, cartoonish-like eyes. “We should move those puzzles back into the box.” Jessica said. Taeyeon shook her head. She points at the puzzles and gestures her hands-telling Jessica that she wants to keep it like that. Jessica chuckles. “Okay, I understand.” She helps to move the puzzles back into the box without breaking the combined pieces while Taeyeon stands behind here. A knock on the door shock them. “Lunch time, inmate!” The officer shouted. Jessica did not like the way he called Taeyeon as ‘inmate’, but she is too tired to argue about these kinds of things.

 

“Inmate! Lunch-“The officer shut his mouth when Jessica came out. Her eyes appeared cold, making the man in front of her to get slightly imitated. She is out of energy since she couldn’t rest well these past few weeks. She would only smile at Taeyeon.

 

“I will give her lunch.” Jessica takes a tray of food and immediately shut the heavy metal door once she got inside. She looks at Taeyeon. “Sit on the bed. Wait for a moment.” Jessica said. Taeyeon did not suspect anything so she just does as she was told. Jessica makes sure Taeyeon is not looking at her. Luckily, Taeyeon is focusing on the puzzles inside the un-closed box. Jessica takes the chance to quickly take out the small packet out from her pocket and puts the white-powder into Taeyeon’s meal. She then puts the remaining powder inside her powder.

 

                “Want me to feed you?” Jessica asked as soon as she sat down. Taeyeon gives a small smile and shook her head. She picks up the spoon then eats her lunch by herself. She frowns a bit because of the odd taste but she didn’t have any suspicions. Inmate’s meals are always bad. Jessica, on the other hand, looks at Taeyeon with guilt. It was wrong to secretly give her most favorite patient drugs but she had no other options. She is desperate to seek that information from Hara, no matter how little it is. Soon, the tray becomes empty except for a bit of stewed carrots left. Jessica puts the tray aside. “Does it taste good?” Taeyeon nods to her question. Jessica notices her patient keeps rubbing her eye. Have the drug starts to take action already? Taeyeon yawns-having such a hard time to keep her eyes open. Her body keeps stumbling forward.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, are you okay?” Jessica pretended. She does feel worried though, she never done this before in her two-year career as a psychotherapist.

 

“Ugh.” Taeyeon groaned while holding her head. She feels light-headed all of the sudden and she didn’t know why. Her eyelids begin to feel so heavy right now that she couldn’t keep herself awake much longer.

 

“You should-get some rest.” Jessica helps Taeyeon to lie down on the mattress. Her patient keeps blinking-her sight getting blurry and she feels really tired. The effect of the drug is too hard for Taeyeon to resist. Jessica could only sigh, feeling guilty. “Get some sleep.” She said while holding Taeyeon’s hand. She watches as her patient slowly closing her eyes and finally asleep. “Sorry, Taeyeon. I’ll be back as soon as I can. You don’t need to worry.” Jessica gives her a gentle kiss on the forehead. She takes her white coat and exits the room silently. Well, Taeyeon wouldn’t wake up anyway because of the drug given to her. When the metal door is close, Jessica could finally breathe properly. She feels burden by her decision. There is no turning back anyway.

 

“Doctor?” Seungri called. Jessica looks at him and smiles politely. “Hello, Officer.” She greeted.

 

“Where are you going?” Seungri asked. Since Jessica has been with Taeyeon since last night, it is weird to see her suddenly leaving.

 

“I-have some errands to do outside. Mind looking out for Ms. Kim while I’m gone? She is asleep right now.”

 

“Of course, doctor. I can help. But, what if she wakes up? I don’t think she would stay calm when she realizes you’re gone.” Officer Seungri said, a little bit worried. Since he is still lack of experiences, he has no idea how to handle an outrage patient. He was only assigned as the guard here since this building was short on staffs.

 

“I’m sure she won’t wake up until I come back.” It was the truth. Seungri is curious by her words. But, he has nothing to be suspicious about and just go with it. “Alright, if you say so, doc.” He smiled. “I’ll be going now. Please take good care of her.” Jessica slightly bows then leaves the building.

 

                She drives her car towards the front gate. Before that, she stops at the usual place-near the patients’ building. She opens her car’s window and looks at the certain window. She feels worried. She somehow didn’t feel good about leaving Taeyeon here alone. She just has this feeling that something bad will happen tonight. Her heart feels discomfort. However, she only thought this feeling of her is just because of her over-protective side. Jin and Seungri will protect her. They are strong guards. Jessica shouldn’t be worried. She finally manages to get herself together and leaves the facility. A man at a building nearby watches her car leaving through the front gate. He smirks.

 

X

 

                The time is almost four. Jessica is at an old-bar at the second floor of a building. She sits on the usual table; getting herself a bottle of beer and a pack of cigarettes. She lit up one cigarette and blows out the smoke through her thin lips. Jessica did not know the specific reason why she started smoking. She could only guessed that she did it because it was a high school trend. But, after Soon Jung’s tragic death, her smoking habit got worse-so was her drinking. She drinks the alcoholic liquid-feeling burning. “Jessica? Jessica Jung?” Jessica puts down the beer bottle upon hearing the familiar voice. She sees Hara standing in front of the table. She was wearing a black mask, a cap and a hooded jacket. In her hand, there is a yellowish file containing private information. “Hara-yah.” Jessica gestured her hand telling the private detective to sit down.

 

“Wow, I thought you were someone else.” Hara said and take a seat. “How long has it been? The last time you smoke was-almost two years ago after Soojung’s-“ Jessica shot a look at her and Hara immediately gets that she didn’t want that name to be mentioned right now. “Sorry.” She apologized.

 

“It’s okay. There’s just a lot going on right now and I’m-trying not to remember that too.” Jessica gives a bitter smile. She pours Hara a glass of beer and serves in front of her.

 

“Thanks.” Hara empties the glass of beer in just one shot. She sighs at the sweet yet bitter taste tingling on her tongue. For a detective that handle many cases, alcohol sure helps her to loosen up the stress she felt. That’s one of the common thing she shares with Jessica. Alcohol helps them in both good and bad way.

 

“So, what did you get?” Jessica asked, curious about Hara’s finding. Hara puts down the file on the table and slides it closer towards Jessica. The young doctor immediately opens it-revealing many information.

 

                “Her name is Stephanie Hwang or mainly known as Tiffany. She is a American-Korean, originally born in San Francisco and moved to Korea at the age of twenty-one. She works at a sales company here in Seoul as your patient, Kim Taeyeon’s assistant.” Jessica got surprise. She never thought that Taeyeon used to work in a company. She always think that Taeyeon might be a student or a worker at a different field of job. Hara continues, “Kim Taeyeon is the leader of a board team and the two worked together for years in the company. She was not only an assistant but known to be one of Taeyeon’s closest friend. In recent information, I found out that Tiffany replaced Taeyeon as the leader of the team. Rumors said that she is very hard to talk with. She only have meetings with necessary people.” Jessica nods to the information. She takes a look at the picture of Tiffany on the paper. She is beautiful-could easily be misunderstood as a modal.

 

“Well, she will meet me and we’re going to have a very long talk for sure. Thank you, Hara for all your help. I really need this. This person could be my key to unlock Taeyeon’s tragic past. I can finally help her then.”

 

Hara smiles. “I am your friend. I will always help you.” She then turns serious. “But, I have a warning for you, Sica.”

 

“What warning?” Jessica raised her eyebrow. Hara puts down the glass down on the table.

 

“You told me that Kim Taeyeon have no information about her relatives or friends in her file. I find it weird. Unless she is the type of patient that really have no relations at all. When I searched information about her, somehow it was hard to find. Too hard. What I meant is, every person that  people asked me to investigate, they will always be information like medical records, school records and others. But, Kim Taeyeon is different. As if, all the information about her have been wiped off from the system. I happened to find about Tiffany Hwang after hacking through a few system.”

 

Jessica is shock by this newly found information. She is psychotherapist. Through her experiences, patients always have information that Hara mentioned; medical, school and past jobs. Even if a person is admitted to a mental facility, those information became crucial and a must for references. However, as Hara said, Taeyeon is different. She is like a person that no one even know to exist in this world. “What do you suspect then?” Jessica asked. Hara sighs. “I don’t know but, I have a feeling that someone didn’t want anyone to know about Taeyeon’s true identity. Whoever this person is, he or she must come from a really interesting background. I am worried that person might hurt you since you’re having information that the person was trying to hide. So, I suggest you to be careful, Sica.”

 

                Jessica bit her lower lip. Hara is right. She don’t know Taeyeon that much. She is not sure where the young woman really came from. Taeyeon can simply come from a rich and powerful family. That is why her information couldn’t be easily found in the system. Maybe her parents hired an expert to wipe it all away when she entered the facility. Of course, the idea was only a thought. Jessica knows that whoever this person named Tiffany, she will be the one to help her. She have that feeling about Tiffany being the right one to be meet in this situation. Taeyeon can simply come from a rich and powerful family. That is why her information couldn’t be easily found in the system. Maybe her parents hired an expert to wipe it all away when she entered the facility. Of course, the idea was only a thought. Jessica knows that whoever this person named Tiffany, she will be the one to help her. She have that feeling about Tiffany being the right one to be meet in this situation.

 

“Just pray that I will be safe from harm.” Jessica poured herself a drink.

 

“I remembered you told me that you won’t get attach to any of your patients.” Hara reminded her.

 

Jessica drinks all the alcohol in the same glass in just one shot. She hiss at the bitterness lingering on her taste bud. Her eyes looking down at the table. “Yes, I said that. But, Taeyeon is more than just a patient.”

 

Hara raises her eyebrow. “Don’t tell me you’re actually grown care and love for this patient?”

 

“She-she reminds me of Soojung. Not all the time but there were few, like when she loves listening to my lullaby. Soojung used to loved that.” Jessica hold back her tears of reminiscing her late-sister. Even after years had passed after Soojung’s passing, she still cannot get over the pain of losing someone she really loves. “I feel-different around Taeyeon. It was not that I was helping her. The both of us are actually helping each other. We support one another and trying to wipe away the pain we built in ourselves. The guilt. Me and Taeyeon are different people but we shared the same pain.” 

 

                Hara got quiet for a moment. Then, a smile appears on her face. She understands what Jessica meant. Jessica lose Soojung while Taeyeon lose Sunny. They both shared the pain of losing the people they really love and care. Jessica manages to make Taeyeon’s self to emerged because she was able to understands what Taeyeon really felt-unlike the other doctors who treated her before. The reason why Taeyeon chose to believe in Jessica; she have faith that the doctor will help her to move on with her life. To let the pain of losing Sunny in her heart to ease. While Jessica wants to get rid of the guilt she have from the past-not being able to help and protect Soojung before. She wants to feel as a better person again. Someone that a person could rely on. The doctor that Taeyeon can put her full faith on. Hara takes out a cigarette out from the small box and put it between her own lips. She lit it up-blowing the greyish smoke out. Jessica looks at her friend. “For old time sake. I need this. I’ve been stressing out about work too.” Hara smiled. Jessica chuckles.

 

“For old time sake.” She also lit up a cigarette for herself. The two friends smoke while drinking; not bothering the judgmental looks they were receiving. This remains so much of their past, back when they were in high school. How rebellious they were before-refusing to study and instead just fooling around. Who knew they ended up having stable jobs today? Instead of talking about Stephanie Hwang, their conversations are mostly about old times.

 

Jessica is not even aware of what is going to happen back at the facility.

 

BACK AT THE FACILITY

 

                Taeyeon is still sleeping peacefully in her cell. The drug’s effect begin to wear off but there are still a bit left. Suddenly, someone unlocks the door of the cell and opens it. A man wearing an officer’s uniform walks inside before shutting the door behind him-not forgetting to lock after that. He hungrily stares at the young patient lying on the single bed as he his lower lip. He cannot wait anymore. He must do it before anyone comes. He silently climbs up the bed, hovering himself on top of Taeyeon. He slips his hand under her t-shirt causing Taeyeon to shot her eyes open. The man covers to avoid her from screaming. He smirks seeing those round eyes of Taeyeon’s. She is frightened for her life. He knows that.  

 

“You have the right to fear me.” He whispered. “That foolish doctor of yours can’t save you now.” He chuckled evilly as Taeyeon only watches him in fear.

 

What will her faith be?

 

A/N: Hey, I'm back! First of all, I want to apologise for the late update. I've wanted to update before I went back to school but I didn't since there is still a few parts I wanted to add. I ended up updating today. I am busy with my studies right now so updating new chapters will take longer than usual. But, I hope you guys can wait and continue supporting me! :) Anyways, thank you so, so much for the subs, upvotes and wonderful comments. I appreciate it. Enjoy reading :D - Reowesome