Chapter 9

Love Is For The Weak

"Oh?" Yeseul looked on curiously as Jong Hyun hastily tailed the chief designer Kai introduced on stage earlier.

"Do they know each other?" Yeseul blinked and looked the extra glass she was holding on another hand, "I guess I can use another drink." 

 

 

"Hyera." Jong Hyun called out.

Hyera heard a familiar voice she haven't heard in a long while and immediately stopped in her tracks.

"Jong..Hyun?"

There was an awkward pause between the both of them before Hyera asked, "How are you?"

"Okay I guess."

"Why...why didn't you pick up any of my calls?"

"Let's not talk about that Jong Hyun."

"Why? Were you dating somebody else in Australia? Am I not good enough?!" Jong Hyun was so overwhelmed.

"It's not like that.."

"Then what?! You had no idea how hurt I was...I couldn't even concentrate in school."

Hyera started tearing and said, "Sorry, I'm so sorry Jong Hyun."

"Why? I need to know the reason why the years we had ended so abruptly."

"Jong Hyun ah, let's not talk about it."

"What exactly are you hiding from me?!"

"I had no choice!!" Hyera burst.

"What do you mean you didn't have a choice I thought.."

"Your family didn't want you with me. They said I wasn't a suitable partner of you and offered me a scholarship and a place in university so that I could leave Korea and end things with you. My future was on the line, if I didn't concede to their request, well, you know how your family can ruin my future easily. Never once did I forget about you Jong Hyun, so don't you dare say I had a choice. If I did, I would have never left you."

Jong Hyun was shocked, all this while he thought Hyera was the one at fault, but now it was Jong Hyun's fault. He was the one that made her leave.

"I..I.." Jong Hyun stuttered in shock.

Hyera sighed and took his hands, "Oppa, it's fine I'm back now in Korea aren't I?"

"Hyera I'm so sorry. I didn't know, I really didn't."

"Thanks to your family, I'm earning quite a fair bit to support myself." Hyera said lightening up the mood, "Jong Hyun ah, now that we're all grown ups, do you think I have a chance to enter your life once again?"

 

 

 

"So you have a hotel linked to your mall?" Yeseul asked.

"That's right, we're partners for the hotel remember?" Kai said.

"Oh right Chanyeol approved of the investment. So when are we getting our hotel rooms?" Yeseul asked excitedly.

"You and your obsession with hotel rooms got to stop." Myungsoo flicked her forehead.

 

 

 

"Heol, Kim Jong In your designing team for this project has done a great job. The interior is awesome!"

"Duh, you're talking to the capable Director Kim who oversaw the whole project HIMSELF." Kai boasted.

"Oh shut up." Sehun commented.

"Ya, Chanyeol hyung booked the restaurant downstairs for dinner." Myungsoo informed the group of friends.

"Does Jong Hyun knows about it?" Sehun asked, "Speaking of which, I haven't seen him ever since the speech ended."

Yeseul said casually, "I saw him following the chief designer."

"Jung Hyera?" Kai asked, "They know each other?"

"I don't know." Yeseul shrugged her shoulders.

"Be careful Seul, Hyera is a potential threat. She's young, pretty, successful and capable.."

Sehun smacked Kai's head, "And our Seul is not?"

"Of course Yeseul is better." Kai smirked, "Don't worry we'll make sure Jong Hyun is all yours."

"Ya!"

"Dinner at 6pm! Meet you guys there! I need my peace and quiet, you guys are too noisy!" Myungsoo said before leaving Yeseul's room, leaving the trio to argue amongst themselves.

 

 

It was dinner time and Chanyeol booked the entire restaurant for their family and friends to enjoy the buffet spread specially prepared by the hotel's top chef.

Yeseul was in a simple plain t-shirt and denim shorts coupled with her sneakers.

"That's our table." Myungsoo said while walking to it excitedly. It was a food buffet afterall, who wouldn't be excited at the thought of top quality food served in a wide range of variety and style. In other words, it's an exclusive buffet for the privileged.

"Jong Hyun hyung!" Sehun exclaimed and he awkwardly paused when he saw Hyera sitting beside Jong Hyun, "Looks like we have somebody joining us?"

Yeseul causually walked towards them and then she saw the lady sitting beside Jong Hyun.

Jong Hyun is the type of guy who does not take the initiative to approach a girl or to even let them close to him other than Yeseul, and the fact that there is another girl that is close to Jong Hyun except for her ticked Yeseul off a little.

She felt a little betrayed.

"Oh Ms Jung!" Kai greeted.

"Director Kim." and Hyera bowed politely to them, "Sorry to disturb you guys, is it okay for me to eat with you guys?"

"Sure!" Kai said. Sehun and Myungsoo exchanged looks, somehow Hyera didn't give them a good vibe.

Yeseul just went to help herself with the buffet spread 

Lee Yeseul, get a grip of yourself. He is free to see anybody he wants, stop being selfish.

 

 

"Your designing team did a great job." Myungsoo said politely.

"Thank you." Hyera smiled.

"So how did you and Jong Hyun hyung know each other?" Myungsoo asked.

"We used to date." 

Everybody stopped eating and looked at  Jong Hyun.

"Hyung, you never told us about your love life." Sehun said.

"And you call us your friends?" Myungsoo said, "Lee Yeseul don't you feel cheated? Our Jong Hyun is hiding secrets from us."

"I knew about it already, chill out kiddos." Yeseul said casually while savouring the freshly cut Sashimi dipped with the wasabi freshly flown from Japan.

Hyera looked at Jong Hyun, it's not usual for Jong Hyun to open up to a girl, unless...she was the one he was interested in.

In Hyera's eyes, Yeseul was pretty, smart, rich and capable. She had everything Hyera wanted, life was unfair.

 

 

Flashback to the party

"I'm sorry Hyera, I have somebody else I'm interested in." Jong Hyun said apologetically.

"Oh, it's fine. I was the one who chose to leave first, I shouldn't sulk about this." Hyera said disappointedly. 

"For the after party later, is it okay if I sit with you? I think we have a lot to catch up on." Hyera suggested.

"My friends will be joining me later, but I think they'll be fine with it."

Hyera smiled.

 

 

 

Throughout the whole dinner session, Yeseul was just concentrating on her food, refusing to be involved in any conversation going on the table.

It was obvious that Yeseul was annoyed with Hyera, especially how she keeps on trying to get into her friends' good books.

Hasn't Hyera heard about how exclusive they were?

Sehun and Myungsoo were just nodding politely and exchanging looks with each other, where Jong Hyun and Kai remained clueless about the atmosphere at the table.

Except that Jong Hyun noticed that Yeseul was not her usual chatty self around her friends, and he was worried about it.

"Ya Lee Yeseul, why are you so quiet?" Kai asked, "It's not like you." Kai commented gradually while sipping the red wine from the glass.

"I'm sorry Yeseul ssi, I really shouldn't be disturbing your time with them." Hyera said.

Yeseul raised her brows and said, "If you're apologetic why not you sit somewhere else instead of trying to get into our good books?" 

The rest of them looked at Yeseul shockingly, "Sorrr..ry?" Hyera stuttered in shock.

"Haven't you heard? Lee Yeseul is the ice princess that doesn't like to be disturbed by the others. If you excuse me, I'll be in my room." and Yeseul left the table and strutted to the hotel lobby.

 

 

Myungsoo left the table to chase after Yeseul, "Seul!"

"What?" Yeseul said annoyed.

"Angsty are we?"

"Get lost Myung."

"I get it, she's annoying but it's not worth it. Besides, Jong Hyun is just clueless about everything."

"It's his ex, the one that got away! I think he still has feelings for her, you should have seen the look on his face throughout dinner."

"The distraught look?"

"He hasn't forgotten about her, and I'm a fool for thinking that there might be hope in my love life." Yeseul blurted.

 

 

 

"I guess Yeseul is angry with me?" Hyera said awkwardly.

"It's Ms Lee for you." Sehun said, correcting Hyera.

"Sehun ah." Jong Hyun glared at him, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have invited Hyera. I thought all of you would be nice to her, but I guess not, guys that was just plain rude." and he left the table taking Hyera with him.

 

 

"What just happened?" Kai asked cluelessly.

"Aish hyung! It's all your fault!" Sehun said.

"What did I do this time?" Kai said, "She's just Jong Hyun's...ex..OH I GET IT! Yeseul.."

"Took you long enough." Sehun sighed while slicing his steak.