Ursinia

I Told You Not To Fall For Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]Chapter 21[/CONTENTID1] 

[CONTENTID2]When you have a good heart: You help too much. You trust too much. You give too much. You love too much. And it always seems you hurt the most[/CONTENTID2] 

[CONTENTID3]

Luhan's gaze never left his husband's serious face as his parents went on about an exclusive holiday that they planned.

 

A trip to Jeju Island.

 

The way Mrs. Oh ranted about the beautiful places they could visit made Luhan squirm in uneasiness. The plane tickets handed to them were a sign that they couldn't get out of this. Sehun stared blankly at the tickets as he accepted them. Luhan picked up on what Sehun must have been feeling then.

 

"I really hope you can take some time off work, Sehun. I'm sorry if this is too sudden. Take it as a wedding gift from me and your dad." Mrs. Oh clarified. Somehow, Luhan couldn't help but feel a bit of irritation at her bluntness -- she had a clue of what was going on in their marriage and a holiday for both of them wasn't much help.

 

"When will we get this opportunity to go on a holiday together again? Since your dad and I can't really take that many days off from work. You both can think of this as a honeymoon as well. How long have you been married? Have you thought about adopting?" Mr. Oh, who had been silent throughout the lunch, added.

 

Luhan only sighed disdainfully. Why were they suddenly bringing up the topic of adoption? The thought of adopting had never crossed their minds. He was pretty damn sure Sehun was at loss for words right now too. The four day, three-night trip was bad enough. What could he say to avoid going? His mind started coming up with a few excuses but none of them made sense. He knew Sehun had no way out -- it was his job to find a way out of the plan now.

 

"I don't think I can take a few days off, mum and dad." Sehun kept quiet. He couldn't back out since the payment was already made.

 

"Why is that, Luhan?"Mr. Oh asked, eyebrows furrowing.

 

"My friend and I are working on this project that needs to be completed as soon as possible and we're rushing since I kinda took a few days off before." That wasn't completely a lie and Luhan didn't really feel that bad. He felt sorry for Jongin and Yixing since his personal issues had affected their work.

 

"You took a few days off? Why? Where'd you go?" Mr. Oh sent a confused look towards his son-in-law. Three pairs of eyes watched him closely, demanding an answer. He could feel Sehun's curious gaze beside him.

 

Luhan doesn't know why his mouth felt so eager to spill all his secrets. However, he wasn't so out of his mind that he'd admit he took off a few days to search for Miyoung.

 

"I didn't really feel well."

 

"Why didn't I know? You should have gotten a doctor's note."

 

"Um... It wasn't that serious. I think it's just the weather. Besides, I'm too lazy to go to the doctor." His eyes wrinkled as he gave them an assuring smile. The other two male seemed to believe him. Mrs. Oh looked at him in suspicion. He figured that she might know that he was lying.

 

"So, now what? Since your spouse isn't going, will you tag along, Sehun? Would you really leave Luhan here in Seoul?" Sehun's lips pressed into a line when he heard his father's question.

 

"If Luhan's not going, let's just cancel this trip." Sehun's decision tugged at his heart. Luhan felt guilty. Everything was planned -- they couldn't cancel it just because of him.

 

"I'll try asking for leave." Hopefully, Yixing would agree.

 

 

_

 

 

Luhan asked his husband if they could drop by the mall after meeting with his in-laws because he needed to find a new notebook. Luhan mentally cheered once the heat from mall greeted them. The temperature in Korea wasn't getting any warmer and Luhan was freezing cold, no matter how many layers he bundled up in. He had always been sensitive to the cold. Thank goodness it wasn't raining that day.

 

As the pair walked to find the bookstore, Sehun made a few people turn their head to look at him and his glorious state. He was wrapped in a cream-colored long coat, still retaining his fashion sense even when it was deathly cold -- Luhan wasn't sure if that beautiful coat could actually protect him from the January weather.

 

Luhan, on the other hand, looked less like a greek god and more like a child with his oversized jacket and fluffy earmuffs -- he was cold and the earmuffs kept him warm so don't judge him! He cringed when he heard a few people cooing at how the pastel earmuffs fit his blonde locks perfectly. Apparently, they thought he was a kid and Sehun was his older brother. If only they knew...

 

"Do you get migraines often?" Sehun asked.

 

"Come again?" Luhan quipped. He wasn't paying much attention, still thinking about the trip to Jeju.

 

"Do you get headaches often, Luhan?"

 

"Oh, that... It's nothing. I've always had migraines."

 

"Don't you want a check-up? I'll bring you to the hospital, okay?"

 

"Nah, I don't think I need one. Why bother with a check-up? It's not like I have brain cancer or anything." Luhan joked, stifling his laugh. His steps came to a halt when he realised Sehun had stopped walking after hearing his "joke". He took a few steps backwards to return to him.

 

"You're coming for a check-up tomorrow!" Sehun stressed, his voice stern with seriousness.

 

"I have to go and see how Yixing's coffee shop is doing tomorrow since we're going to go and pick up the custom-made furniture. There's no need. Really... I'm fine." Luhan objected to the offer. He'd gone to a specialist several times before and knew that he only suffered from migraines.

 

"I'll give you a leave notice for tomorrow."

 

"I think you're using your title as a doctor quite carelessly... You can't give me a leave notice just like that." The corner of his lips rose as Luhan grinned cheekily, the doctor shaking his head.

 

"I've never violated any ethics. From now on, you're my patient so I can give you a leave notice whenever I want, understand?"

 

"Sehun...!" Luhan tried his luck by arguing -- whatever it took to stop Sehun from taking him to the hospital!

 

"Not listening." Sehun covered his ears as he walked away.

 

"Sehun!"

 

Someone called Sehun and they both turned to stare at a lady who yelled his name with her loud voice, dumbfounded at how excitedly the unknown lady was waving at their direction.

 

Luhan paled almost instantly. Could that be... Miyoung?

 

The woman skipped towards them, her heels clacking against the mall's marble floor as she made her way to them, her eyes crinkling in happiness. Luhan glanced at Sehun who stood frozen in place.

 

"Yoona!" He replied although the shock was still evident in his tone.

 

"Aha! So you do remember me... It's been a while since we last met, am I right?" The girl, Yoona, exclaimed excitedly as she clasped her hand together. She was definitely a beauty with her long brown hair and pale, milky skin.

 

"Of course I do, Yoona. When did you get back?"

 

"Last month."

 

Upon hearing her name, Luhan could breathe again. He thought it was Miyoung judging by how surprised Sehun had looked. Why did he feel relief knowing that she wasn't Miyoung, who he'd been looking for over the last few months? When did he get so selfish?

 

"How's life going for you? Great, I assume." Happiness was radiating from her after running into Luhan and Sehun, wondering what their relationship was.

 

"Same old, same old. Nothing really changes." 

 

"Including your feelings for Miyoung?" She teased and Sehun looked lost for words. "And who might this be?" She switched her attention towards Luhan and cocked her brow. Sehun seemed lost, unsure of how to answer and Luhan wasn't doing any better. He bit his lower lip and pondered -- this woman must know who Miyoung is and he should be cautious in answering.

 

"This is..." Sehun dragged the last syllables, clearly struggling to answer.

 

"I'm Luhan, Sehun's cousin." Luhan extended his hand for a handshake. Sehun looked at him wide-eyed, not expecting Luhan to say that.

 

"Oh! I never knew you had a cousin in Seoul, Sehun -- a cute one too." She beamed, winking at the blushing Luhan.

 

"I just came from Beijing." He lied. Hell, he hadn't stepped foot once in Beijing after his grandparents died.

 

"Ah, I see... And Sehun! I have a good news for you." She lifted her brows repeatedly, a secretive smile adorning her pink-tinted lips. "Since we met here, I have a lot to tell you."

 

"Good news?" Sehun asked, his face pinched in curiousity.

 

"Yeah! Good news about... Miyoung."

 

Luhan felt like those words all the air out of his lungs and left them burning. He turned his gaze away, pretending to be interested in a clothing shop. He wouldn't look at Sehun, too scared to look at Sehun's expression -- he knew it must have been overjoyed.

 

"Why don't we go somewhere and have a drink first? But, are you okay with your cousin listening too... or does he know?"

 

Luhan felt offended. He didn't know anything about Miyoung and he should just step away, stop being a busybody. The deafening silence from Sehun wasn't helping and he held back his tears. Why do I feel like tearing up?! Luhan, you idiot!

 

"It's alright, Sehun-ah. I'll just go and buy my books alone. See you later!" He reassured, his feet carrying him away with a sense of bitterness in his chest.

 

"Call me when you're done!" Sehun took the opportunity to order him around, even as he was leaving.

 

From afar, Luhan nodded obediently while his mouth formed a crooked smile. It hurt so bad. He didn't have high hopes for them but why did it hurt so much? If Yoona wanted to tell him that Miyoung was back, Sehun could find his happiness right away.  But what about Luhan? Could he still find his happiness?

 

He didn't know when he started thinking about himself for once but he knew it must've been from all the heartache and advice that Kai had given him. He missed Kai -- they hadn't met for quite some time. Although they worked together with Yixing, they never really met privately. It was always Luhan with Yixing and Kai.

 

 

_

 

 

"Sorry," Luhan mumbled an apology when he bumped into someone accidentally, causing the books in his grasp to scatter on the floor. He ducked down to pick the books up when the stranger did the same to help him.

 

"Luhan?" The stranger suddenly asked. "Is that really you, Luhan?" 

 

Luhan narrowed his eyes and tilted his head in confusion. Did he know this guy?

 

"Yeah, hey..." He waved his right hand, although he had no idea who this person was.

 

"Judging by that face, I take it you don't remember me?" The stranger smugly smiled. 

 

Luhan's eyes wandered on the stranger: their heights were almost identical and the stranger had monolids. Luhan swore he'd seen him somewhere before. This guy looked too familiar! "I'm actually hurt. I'm finally back from Canada after a decade and my old soccer-mate doesn't remember me." The stranger squeezed his chest and faked a hurt expression.

 

Wait a minute.

 

Canada?

 

Soccer-mate?

 

"MINSEOK!?" He screeched, lunging forward to bear-hug him.

 

"Took you a while." Minseok, his friend and soccer-mate back in high school, exclaimed before he returned the hug, patting the doe-eyed boy's back. "Okay, okay. I get that you miss me but I really do need to breathe right now and you're choking me."

 

Luhan pulled away with a broad smile. He couldn't believe it! Minseok, his best friend who had left for Canada to follow his parents during freshman year was back!

 

"Oh my god, I can't believe it's you!" Luhan cupped the other's cheeks and squeezed them with all his might. "Where did your chubby cheeks go?" He teased, squishing them even more. "I almost didn't recognise you!"

 

Minseok pried his hands off and smacked Luhan on the shoulder, complaining that his cheeks hurt. "Wah... Just look at you, you look so different." Luhan continued annoying him by gawking. Long gone were his signature baozi cheeks that Luhan used to love -- he was now replaced with a very masculine, good looking man.

 

 "Stop looking at me like that, idiot." Another smack to his shoulders. "And you still look... twelve."

 

Luhan whined and rubbed his shoulder, somewhat offended at being called twelve. That guy sure can hit. "I don't look twelve!" He argued, pouting.

 

"I really did miss you, though," Luhan added, joy clear on his face.

 

"How could you get married and not invite me, you idiot? I would've flown all the way from Canada just to attend it. But guess what? I was just told by Kyungsoo when I met him at one of his restaurants. I would never know if I hadn't stumbled upon Kyungsoo. And who might be the lucky guy you married? Kyungsoo never told me, he said I should ask you." Minseok made a face and Luhan was struck with guilt.

 

He didn't purposely leave Minseok out of his wedding. Not many knew he'd gotten married because Luhan hadn't invited a lot of friends -- the wedding wasn't supposed to happen in the beginning and he wasn't that enthusiastic, leaving the guest list up to his parents.

 

"I'm sorry, Minseok. I..." 

 

"What's wrong, Luhan-ah?" Minseok asked in a panic, suddenly noticing the hurt look on Luhan's face.

 

At that moment, Luhan started sobbing, tears wetting his porcelain cheeks. He had reached his limit -- he just couldn't keep it to himself anymore. It was overwhelming as if everything in his life was suffocating him.

 

"Are you back for good?" Luhan asked between sobs.

 

"Yes, I signed with a law firm here. I'm staying in Gangnam now. What's wrong? Why are you crying, Luhan?"

 

"Can I... Can I stay the night at your house?" He really needed someone to talk to -- Minseok came at just the right time. If he told Baekhyun or Kai -- if that ever happened -- Sehun wouldn't be able to make it out alive, seeing as they both would have killed him. Minseok, on the other hand, thought a lot more rationally than both of them combined. 

 

"Sure, why not, you're more than welcome. But what about your husband?"

 

"He can live without me." Short and straight to the point. There was no use hiding it from Minseok. "Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? But that's the ugly truth..."

 

 

_

 

 

Minseok lent him a pair of sweatpants and a comfy t-shirt as soon as they entered Minseok's double-story house. 

 

The house looked decent enough for a man who lived alone. Luhan had always known the guy to be a neat-freak so it wasn't that surprising. However, he was fairly surprised by how chic-looking the interior design in his house was.

 

The living room was monochrome in colour, with a vase filled with yellow and red roses atop the coffee table, contrasting the black and white walls and furniture. Luhan was somewhat amazed by whoever Minseok had hired to design his house -- whoever was responsible did a great job. It's not always an interior designer like Luhan, who craved perfection each time, praised someone else's artwork. 

 

Luhan bounced on the soft mattress as he threw himself down following his hot bath. He felt sleepiness drowning him and was barely able to keep his eyes for even one second. As he was about to drift into dreamland, his eyes fluttered open at the sound of a few knocks on the door.

 

Inviting Minseok with a low 'come in', he appeared with two mugs of hot chocolate and a bright smile.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter