The Friend

The Snake and the Human's Love Story

Peevxwm POV

 

Nkauj Sheng looked at me and gave out a bright smile. “Thank you for always making me smile.” She told me and went back to looking around this field in awe.

I melted at her words. She was always too thoughtful of others. She’s even thankful that I made her smile.

“I will always want to make you smile.” I told her honestly. I looked in her eyes straight making sure I was passing on my words clearly to her. She got shy and looked away from me.

And we ended up having a chase in the field of flowers. Now I can call this place, our place. Nkauj Sheng laughed more and more as she and I played around with one another to our hearts’ content.

“Peevxwm, it’s going to get dark soon, let’s go back home.” She told me. I must have obviously looked disappointed because she suddenly came in front of me and quite close also. “I would love to come here again now that I know there’s such a beautiful place.” She fixed my hair making me froze. “Let’s go,” she moved away from me and headed the direction back to the village.

I stayed there frozen for a while remembering her touch on me. Her soft hands touching my strands of hair and fixing them back to place. How she did it so gently and causally made me unable to forget.

+++

I was smiling to myself on the bench in the park.

“Buddy!” Thaiv suddenly came from behind me and put his arms around me.

“Oh Thaiv, you’re back from training already?” I looked at him surprised.

“Yeah,” he joined me and sat down. “I realized that being a king’s bodyguard is no easy work. There’s so many of us and one little mistake can make you fail.” Thaiv shook his head.

“I’m glad I decided not to join.” I told him.

“I’m so upset. I thought I was done with the training since it’s been five months, but they said that after giving us a week of break, we’re going back to finish five more months before becoming an official bodyguard of the king.” Thaiv told me.

“Aww, I miss hanging out with you though.” I told him.

“Well anyways, my life isn’t as exciting as yours. I heard you found a human girl and received the king’s permission to pursue her.” Thaiv told me.

“How did you find out?” I asked him surprised.

“My senior, who’s one of the king’s official bodyguards, overheard your family’s conversation with the king and told us about it. He didn’t know you but I just had a feeling it was you because you,” Thaiv pointed at me. “Were always out of the ordinary as I remembered.” He finished and smirked.

“Well, it’s good that you know.” I told him.

“So, introduce me to her. I want to know how sister-in-law is going to look like.” Thaiv teased.

“Stop it dude, we never know. I might not even get her in the end.” I told him.

“Why not? You did all these hard work just to even meet her.” Thaiv told me.

“I’m sort of afraid. At first, I thought it was alright to just approach her as a human but now, what if she’s scared of me knowing that I’m a snake?” I asked Thaiv.

“Well, it wouldn’t be normal for her to accept you as a snake right away anyways.” Thaiv said.

I sighed, as I got lost into my thoughts. Although I’ve been doing my best to get Nkauj Sheng to like me as much as I like her, what if she only thought of me as a friend at the end? What if she wants to avoid me when she finds out that I’m a snake?

“Dude, but she likes you right?” Thaiv suddenly broke my trail of thoughts.

“I’m actually…not sure.” I told him.

“Let’s go earth. I’ll help you bro.” Thaiv raised his eyebrows mischievously to me.

“What are you up to?” I frowned at him.

“Don’t worry, I’m going to go with you and take a look at this girl of yours. Nothing more, nothing less.” He said the last sentence in a way that made me refused to believe in him.

“How about no?” I asked him.

“What?! What did we promise each other as best friends huh? That if we found a girl we liked, we’ll introduce one another to the girl and made sure she was the best for each other!” Thaiv started to go on a rage about our past words.

“Fine, fine. But no scaring her off.” I told him.

“Really?! Great! Don’t worry, I will never harm her.” Thaiv told me and got up.

“Where are you going?” I looked at him ready to leave.

“Where else? Earth to meet your human lover.” Thaiv told me.

+++

“Nkauj Sheng,” I called out Nkauj Sheng’s name as she and her sister Mai Cee was heading to their farm.

“Oh Peevxwm,” she greeted me. “Who’s that next to you?” she looked at Thaiv.

“Hello maidens, I’m Thaiv Yaj, Peevxwm’s friend. I followed a bit too late after him to this village here.” He said.

“Nice to meet you guys but we’re busy for now so,” Mai Cee tugged me and pushed me ahead of her.

“Sorry,” Nkauj Sheng mouthed to me and turned continued walking.

“Ey, the girls in this village are so rude. I bet no one is going to marry you.” Thaiv suddenly spoke.

Mai Cee and Nkauj Sheng turned around to look at him. I took a look at Nkauj Sheng whose eyes were more on Mai Cee, who was fuming with anger.

“Sister, let’s go. We have to hurry to the farm right?” Nkauj Sheng pulled Mai Cee back before she does anything to Thaiv.

“Anyways, Nkauj Sheng right? Glad to meet you,” Thaiv waved to me.

“Sorry Nkauj Sheng, I’m sure my friend didn’t mean to hurt your sister. He’s kind of rough with his words.” I apologized to Nkauj Sheng and bowed to Mai Cee.

“It’s alright, see you later Peevxwm.” Nkauj Sheng told me and she left for the farm tugging her sister along, who was still glaring at Thaiv.

“Good thing you didn’t like the sister. She’s pretty but rude,” Thaiv told me nodding. I turned around and glared at him.

 

Nkauj Sheng POV

 

“Nkauj Sheng, you’re slowly becoming more charming in the eyes of men. I wonder what’s your secret.” Mai Cee gave me a suspicious look as we picked the corns.

“Nothing sister,” I told her honestly. “And I’m sure you have a lot more guys going after you than me. Everyone who sees my beautiful sister usually can’t take their eyes off of her.” I told her.

Mai Cee smiled at my words and flipped her hair. “I know,” she turned girly as she was picking the corn. “I can be quite dazzling.” She smiled at me.

I laughed at her actions as we continued to pick the corns.

+++

I was feeding the chickens with rice grains when Peevxwm approached me the next day. I looked at him walking towards me in fast steps as I threw to rice grains to the ground for the chickens to eat.

“Hello,” I greeted him as continued to feed the chickens. “Where’s your friend?” I asked him.

“Oh Thaiv, he said he wants to go and look at other girls so we split ways.” he told me.

“Oh, I thought you guys would stick together since he doesn’t know anyone yet.” I told him.

“Why?” Peevxwm’s smile suddenly turned into a frown. “Do you like him?” he asked me and caused me to laugh.

“You and your weird thoughts,” I shook my head at him as I finished throwing the rice grains.

“That’s because you asked about him first thing when you saw me.” he whined.

“You’re so childish, so you’re saying I can’t ask anything about anyone else except you?” I asked him.

“That’s right,” he nodded his head furiously.

“I’m going home,” I told him as I turned around towards my house.

“Wait a bit,” he grabbed my wrist. “Let’s go on a date today,” his eyes twinkled in anticipation.

“Let me get permission from my parents quick. If I just disappear from the house, I’m going to get in trouble.” I told him.

“Okay, I’ll wait out here.” He let go of my hands and stayed where he was.

I came out of the house later after my mom warned me to be careful and all that.

“Let’s go,” he grabbed my hands and we walked to the end of the village again.

“Are we going to the field again?” I asked him.

“Somewhere else,” he said and we arrived at the river where I always go and get water. "Did you know that from here, on the other side of the flower field is a cliff with a beautiful view of the sunset?” he asked me.

“Huh?” I looked at him confused.

“You need to go places more. It’s very close by your village but you’ve never been there.” He tapped my nose.

“Oh my god!” I almost fell backwards when I saw a snake.

Peevxwm grabbed onto me and turned around to look at the snake. “Nkauj Sheng, stay here.” He told me and headed towards the snake.

“Peevxwm, be careful.” I told him as he went closed to it and bent down to meet eyes with it.

 

~~~

Guess who this snake is? And are these two going to be able to go to their date?