One Step Too Late?

The Snake and the Human's Love Story

Nyiaj POV

 

~~~

One month later

~~~

“Son,” Hwi Chim sharpened his sword as I helped him made more arrows. “I think I’m going to have to go let you leave first.” He told me.

“Huh? Why? Is something wrong?” I asked him feeling worried and disappointed.

“I’m making something to help get rid of that snake but it’ll take longer than I expect. I know the road to Hua Cua Village so don’t worry about that. Instead, I want to teach you how to do a spell so that you can use it on the snake.” He told me.

“Really?” I looked up at feeling hopeful.

“Yes,” he nodded.

I smiled satisfied. Maybe I can stop this snake before things get worse. Nkauj Sheng, wait for me, I’ll save you for sure.

 

Nkauj Sheng POV

 

I stopped taking out the weeds and wiped my forehead from all my sweats. It’s been a month and Peevxwm hasn’t come back. I wonder if everything is alright.

“Nkauj Sheng, hurry up.” Mai Cee suddenly shouted at me.

“Okay, sorry.” I said and went back to picking up the weeds and taking them out of the ground.

After finally finishing all my chores, I left the house to get water. Along the way, I saw the road to the chamomiles. Somehow my foot just found its way there. When I arrived at the fields of chamomiles and looked at them, only Peevxwm comes to my mind. Our old happy memories passed through in my head as I took a look at the beautiful flower field.

 

Flashback:

I was running while Peevxwm came and chased me.

“Ah!” I screamed as he captured me and back hugged me tightly.

“I thought you said you were really fast?” he teased me.

“I thought I really was,” I pouted and he turned me around.

“Here,” he fixed my hair and laughed. “You look so cute right now.” He said. I blushed at his words and looked away from him. “Don’t,” he moved and tried to look me in the eyes.

“Stop it,” I tried to pull away from his grip.

“Come on, look me in the eyes,” he held my hands tightly and bended down to look at my eyes as I lowered my head as I blushed harder.

Flashback Ended.

 

I sighed realizing I was taking way too long and went back to the river.

+++

Mai Cee and me came home from getting the banana trees’ boles and saw someone very familiar.

“Nyiaj!” Mai Cee ran ahead of me and headed towards him. He turned around and saw us and ran towards our direction also.

“Nkauj Sheng!” he shouted and ran to me.

I looked at my sister shocked as she glared at me. Nyiaj ran to me and hugged me surprising me.

“Let me go!” I pushed him away from and hid behind my sister. “Mai Cee, it’s really not what it looks like.” I told her.

“My daughters, you two are finally hom—” my mom came out of the house and saw Nyiaj. “Oh son, you’re back,” my mom looked at him surprised.

“Hello auntie. I’m sorry for my sudden arrival but can I talk to Nkauj Sheng privately?” he asked my mom.

“No,” I spoke before my mom could speak to him. “Just say whatever you want to say here.” I told him. I didn’t want Mai Cee to misunderstand the situation as it already seems worse than it really is.

“Nkauj Sheng, don’t speak like that this young man.” My mom said. “Just go with him and speak for a while. You won’t get hurt at all.” My mom said.

I met eyes with Mai Cee who glared at me and then stalked off home. “Then let me put away my basket first.” I said and headed home. I sighed as I see my angry sister turned her back on me and went back outside again.

“Thank you auntie, I promise I won’t take long with talking to Nkauj Sheng.” Nyiaj said.

“Then I’ll be gone for a while mom. Don’t do any heavy work and ask Mai Cee or dad to help you.” I told her.

My mom nodded and headed home. I turned and then faced Nyiaj. “Let’s go here,” we headed to the front of the village.

We arrived at a small hillside and I took sat down on the grass. He did the same and took a deep breath.

“I know I’m going to sound crazy telling you this but,” he faced me as I looked at him curiously. “Peevxwm is a snake.” He told me.

“What are you talking about?” I wanted to just leave at hearing his crazy words.

“I swear it’s true. I saw him turned into a snake and went inside the river! He put a spell on you to make you like him!” Nyiaj told me.

“What are you saying? How could Peevxwm be a snake?” I said not wanting to believe this ridiculous idea of his.

“Didn’t you think it was weird that you were seeing snakes so much at one point? And then Peevxwm appeared out of nowhere? Where did he say he came from? You don’t even know where that place is. He didn’t even bring a pair with him to come to this village. You know nothing about him at all!” Nyiaj said.

That’s true, I’ve been seeing snakes quite a bit. I don’t know where Fresh Water Village is nor have I ever heard of it before. He came alone but didn’t his friend Thaiv came too? But I only seen that friend once and never heard from him again. I don’t even know anything much about Peevxwm except his name, Peevxwm Cheng.

“But that doesn’t mean he’s a snake.” I denied Nyiaj’s words as I somehow began to feel persuaded by his words.

“Nkauj Sheng, you like him a lot right? But it’s only because you’re under his spell! He put a spell on you so that you would like him!” Nyiaj said.

But no way, Peevxwm was a really sincere guy. He was always by my side ever since he came to this village. Could I really be under a spell?

“Stop lying to me!” I stood up.

“Nkauj Sheng, believe me. He disappeared and no one knows about him except you and your family right? No one else in this village as ever seen Peevxwm except you and your family!” he said.

“Don’t lie to me!” I covered my ears and ran home.

I don’t want to believe all this. So what if what Nyiaj said so far is true. That doesn’t make Peevxwm a snake.

 

Peevxwm POV

 

“Honey, you’re awake!” my mom shouted inside my parents’ room.

The doctor came out and smiled at the king and me. Thaiv patted my shoulder and I ran inside to my parents’ room.

“Dad!” I went to his side.

“Son,” my dad smiled to me and looked at my mom. “Honey, I’m so sorry for worrying you two. I failed my job as a dad.” My dad said.

“No you didn’t dad.” I said.

“It’s alright to get hurt honey. But just don’t leave me. How do you expect me to live if you’re not here?” my mom held on tightly to my dad’s hand.

“And I failed my job as a friend.” The king entered the room.

“King,” my dad tried to get up and my mom we stopped him.

“Honey, you’re not well yet. Don’t get up yet.” My mom said.

“I’m sorry friend, I made you do a task that was dangerous.” The king bowed.

“It’s not,” my dad denied as we all froze surprised to see the king bow to us. “I should have took better caution.” My dad said.

“And thank you,” the king patted my shoulder. I turned to look at him surprised. “You’re a good son, you went through a hard time for a month to get medicine for your dad. And you,” the king headed towards my dad. “Thank you for surviving,” he said.

My dad smiled as he and the king shook hands. I looked behind me too see Thaiv mouthing that he’s leaving as he gave me a warm smile. I nodded and he disappeared. Yeah, this is how my family has back returned to normal.

+++

“Son, I’m alright now. Go back to earth and meet your girl. You must have miss her terribly.” My dad said.

“But dad, you aren’t even all that well yet.” I said.

“I’m going to get better okay? Of course it's going to take me a few days to recover. You did enough saving my life, now go and continue on with yours.” My dad told me.

“Son, just listen to your dad. I rather have you leave to meet Nkauj Sheng than stay here and daydream nonstop while taking care of your dad. Also, it’s not like I can’t take care of him.” my mom said.

“Okay dad,” I nodded feeling bad to my parents but at the same time relief and happy that I’m going to see Nkauj Sheng again.

I then headed to the surface. As soon as I reached the surface, I made sure of my surroundings and changed into a human. Last time I couldn’t tell Nkauj Sheng properly about the real me, this time, I’m going to make sure I make it clear.

+++

“Oh Peevxwm, you’re also back?” auntie greeted me as she was outside picking out the bad things or small rocks on the rice grains.

“Yes, can I talk with Nkauj Sheng?” I asked her.

“Sure,” auntie nodded. “Nkauj Sheng, come out! Peevxwm is here.” Auntie shouted.

I waited nervously for Nkauj Sheng. I took a deep breath as I held onto her charm she gave me. Nkauj Sheng came out, as she looked at me with something in her eyes that I couldn’t read.

“Mom, we’ll be back later.” She said.

“I know,” her mom said and laughed. “When I was young, I had quite a few strong headed guys after me just like you.” Auntie said.

I smiled at her words and reached out to grab Nkauj Sheng’s hand but she moved away. Then she walked ahead of me.

 

~~~

Did Nkauj Sheng get persuaded by Nyiaj's words? She's acting different, and that's for sure! 

Yeah, I didn't know how to make it so that she'll be persuaded so it's kind of lame, but accept it for now! If I think of a better idea (which most likely I won't) I will change it then.