First Meeting

The Snake and the Human's Love Story

 Only pictures I can find of him are in blood! (Cry~ Why is he always hurt?!)

 

Nkauj Sheng POV

 

“Sister, wake up.” I tried to shake my sister, who was fast asleep to wake up.

“Huh?” she rolled away from me in the bed and let out a deep sigh.

“Are you two awake yet?” mom shouted asking us to wake up.

“Yes,” I answered my mom and my sister finally got up and fixed herself.

Then the three of us cooked for my still asleep father and for ourselves. After we packed our meals for the day, we put it in our straw baskets and brought our sickles with us to go to our farm.

 

hmong%20basket_zpsbhvdkooi.png (How straw baskets look like)

 

hmong%20house_zpsttne7ilp.png (Our family’s house)

 

hmong%20houses_zpsovdfzqz2.png (The village’s back side)

 

straw%20houses_zps4tkqtjhz.png (The village’s front side)

 

We went to the front side of the village and headed out to our farm area to go farming. We arrived at our farmhouse and set our things down before going into the field to cut the rice we’ve grown.

“Oh Mai Cee,” our mom suddenly spoke out of nowhere as we were busy cutting rice

 

hill_zpsszznabnc.png (Our farm house and area)

“Yes,” my older sister answered.

“I’m thinking that it’s time for you to get marry now is it not?” mom suddenly asked.

“No, what are saying out of nowhere mom? If I go and get married, who is going to take help you and Nkauj Sheng finish the chores around the house?” Mai Cee asked.

“Your father is a well known shaman here in our village. And also, there are a few good men out there that come to talk to you a lot. Don’t you have anyone you like?” mom asked her.

“No, I haven’t really found a man I liked yet.” Mai Cee said.

I listened to their conversation and didn’t in. My older sister, Mai Cee, is known as the prettiest girl in our village. She has many pursuers and she’s known as a great daughter-in-law material.

Well…me? I’m just known as her younger sister. I’m average like every other girl in this village. I had a few guys came and talk to me but most of them never come back after visiting once. Or they switch to my pretty sister.

When I was younger, I envied her a lot and was jealous. But as I grew older, I believed that I was going to find a man that loves me a lot. I know I’m not bad so I don’t have to worry about anything. I’m just happy my family is doing well and living with no problem.

“Also girls,” my mom suddenly let out a deep sigh. “I had this really weird dream of a snake. Although it did not look dangerous, it could bring harm to us. So stay away from snakes okay?” my mom said as I went deeper into the fields so I heard what she was saying but not all.

“Okay mom,” Mai Cee said.

“Nkauj Sheng?” my mom called out.

“Yes,” I answered her. Something about snake, it shouldn’t be any problem right?

“Oh!” my mom suddenly dropped everything.

“What is it mom?” I asked my mom.

“I forgot to tell your dad that he has to go to your uncle’s house today because your uncle is doing a ritual ceremony for his new born son!” mom said.

“Then mom, let’s hurry back and tell dad before it’s too late,” Mai Cee dropped her things also and we rushed back to the farmhouse to get our basket before leaving the farm and heading back to the village.

“Husband!” mom shouted as she entered the house and saw my dad finishing eating his meal we cooked for him.

“What is it? Why are you guys so out of breath?” he asked us.

“Uncle is doing a ritual ceremony today for his newborn son and you have to go.” Mai Cee told my dad.

“What?! Okay, then let me change quick.” Dad headed to mom their bed area and quickly changed his clothes before leaving the house.

“Sorry husband,” mom said.

After dad left the house, I went to the dishes and mom and Mai Cee sat outside the house sewing paj ntaub.

 

paj%20ntaub_zpsit5qaik3.png (Paj Ntaub)

 

“Nkauj Sheng,” mom called my name as I was heading back inside to put the dishes away.

“What is it mom?” I asked her.

“We’re out of water so can you go bring some from the back of the village?” mom asked.

“Yes,” I answered her and entered the house.

After I putted away the dishes, I grabbed bamboo pole for carrying water.

 

bamboo%20pole_zps0kcfdlry.pngbamboo-pole_zpsdoi072o2.png (Bamboo pole for getting water from lake)

 

I arrived to the backside of the village where the lake was and cleared the water before sinking the bamboo inside to get water.

“Oh my god!” I gasped as I saw a snake on the opposite side from me. I lost my balance and fell down.

“Young maiden, are you alright?!” suddenly a guy appeared out from no where and hurried to my side with his friend.

“Yes,” looked at him surprised.

“Don’t worry, I’ll get rid of this snake.” He said and too out an arrow and bow and aimed it the snake.

“Don’t!” I shouted and blocked him. “That snake didn’t do anything to me. It just that it surprised me. Don’t kill an innocent living thing unless it harms you.” I told him and then turned around to see the snake leaving. I let out a sigh of relief and moved away from the stranger.

“Sorry maiden,” he apologized to me.

“It’s alright,” I told him and grabbed the bamboo pole filled with water.

I headed was about to head back to living but the guy and his friend blocked me. “Sorry maiden for bothering you but my friend and I are lost. We’re wondering if we can follow you back to your village.” He asked me.

I looked at him confused and moved away from him. “I’m sorry but the village is quite close from here so there’s no need to follow me.” I told him and went around him to leave.

“Wait maiden! What’s your name?” he asked me.

I didn’t want to tell this guy my name but my mom always said it’s not a polite thing to do.

“Nkauj Sheng Xiong.” I told him and left.

“I’m Nyiaj Lor! And my friend here is Pobtsuas Va!” he shouted from a distance as I hurried my steps.

~+~+~+

Sorry for so much pictures but I figure it'll be helpful if you guys know how it looks like back in the olden days for the Hmongs. I did quite a bit of research also and my story isn't going to exactly followed the customs in the past because I don't know them all and things are much more strict for Hmong ladies in the past.

Anyways, isn't the main guy Peevxwm cute?! I find him so handsome! <3 Too bad he's not really in the first chapter, but don't worry, he'll be in the next!

Please like my story a lot. Even if you're not familiar with the ethnicity and etc. I promise you'll like the story! And once more, I'm not copying off the whole plot of the movie. I never watched it so I don't know what happened and I heard that the main leads (the snake and human girl) doesn't have a lot of interactions in the movie. So if you did watch the movie and is reading this, I'm sure it's totally different.