Learning a Bit About the Truth

The Snake and the Human's Love Story

Pobtsuas POV

 

“So you’re going to wait for me to marry you right?” I asked Paj Dawb.

“I don’t know. I heard that you went with Nyiaj all the way to Hua Cua village and met their famous beauty. Why aren’t you going back with him?” she asked me.

“Because I have you over here.” I told her.

“Ew! Saying such cheesy things,” Paj Dawb made a face and I laughed at her face making her laugh also.

All the sudden, I saw that uncle Hwi Chim Vue and took a good look at him walking towards the lake here.

“What are you looking at?” Paj Dawb asked and took a peak also. “Oh, the sorcerer Hwi Chim?” she asked me.

“Yeah, Nyiaj claims to have seen a snake turn into a human and asked Hwi Chim to help him get rid of that snake.” I told her slightly about the story.

“What?! Don’t you know the story about the sorcerer Hwi Chim?” Paj Dawb hit my arm.

“What story?” I asked her.

“Oh yeah, not many people knows because we’re scared to spread the rumors and let it reach Hwi Chim’s ears but,” Paj Dawb then spoke quietly. “Back then he was to marry a snake woman who he chased after a lot. But after learning black magic from a sorcerer grandpa, he became evil and went after every snake he saw. He ended up killing her and is now living alone like that. He’s still after snakes though and hasn’t given up.” Paj Dawb whispered.

“But…aren’t snakes evil?” I asked her.

“Idiot, some snakes eat human just like we eat chicken, pig, and etc. Of course some snakes could be evil but didn’t you know? Snakes back then helped us find cures for our diseases helping the Hmongs live longer. Now that they all neither die our went into hiding due to that sorcerer Hwi Chim’s killing, if we get really ill or caught a disease, it’s the death for us.” Paj Dawb said.

I looked at her surprised. “How do you know all this?” I asked her.

“My dad used to live in the same village from Hwi Chim and heard all the rumors there was to heard. He saw all the things there was to saw also. We ran to live in this village to escape the sorcerer Hwi Chim but bad luck, we’re living in the same village as him.” Paj Dawb said.

“So you’re saying, whoever that uncle Hwi Chim and Nyiaj is out to kill most likely is not an evil thing?” I asked Paj Dawb.

“Of course you fool, how long did I talk for and you just finally understood my words? Also, anyone who practices black magic turns evil idiot.” she sighed at me.

I have to go after Nyiaj and stop him then. He is a good friend of mines, I don’t want him to turn evil or kill something that could actually mean no harm.

“Paj Dawb, then I’m going to go after Nyiaj and stop him. Don’t you dare get marry when I come back.” I told her as I got up.

“I got it, quickly leave!” she told me.

I smiled at her. Why didn’t I see that there was such a girl here before? Although a part of me wants to stay, I knew it was wrong of me to stay now that understood the situation. I have to put a stop to this before anyone of us gets too far hurt.

 

Nyiaj POV

 

I finally released myself from the rope tied around the tree and shouted as loud as I can in anger. Nkauj Sheng is never going to end up with that snake! I’m going to kill every one of those disgusting things!

“Come out,” I sang as pointed my arrow down at the river walking around. I’m got going to let this stupid monster escape one more time. It’s about time it gets destroyed!

I stayed around this area for almost an hour and let out a deep sigh. I’ll go look for Nkauj Sheng since I can’t find that snake. He’ll most likely go to Nkauj Sheng since he wants her so bad.

+++

“Nyiaj! Why are you’re eyes like that? Did you not sleep at all?” Mai Cee dropped her bowl of rice grains probably to feed the chickens and touched my face.

I move her hands away and looked at the house. “Is Nkauj Sheng inside?” I asked.

“Why are you looking for her when I’m right here?” she asked sounding annoyed.

“Because she’s the one I’m looking for,” I moved away from Mai Cee. “Can you call Nkauj Sheng out?” I asked her.

“No! Eversince you came back, all you ask is for Nkauj Sheng! Nkauj Sheng this and Nkauj Sheng that! Don’t you see me?!” Mai Cee shouted at me.

This girl, I sighed irritated. Doesn’t she realize that I’ve never liked her? When did she get the idea that I came back for her?!

“Mai Cee, I’ll say one thing to you.” I looked her straight in the eyes. “Stop thinking you’re better than Nkauj Sheng because you have more guys after you. In my eyes, Nkauj Sheng is always going to be better than you.” I told her and took one last glance at their house. “I’ll be back, tell Nkauj Sheng I’ll be waiting to speak to her.” I told Mai Cee and left.

 

Mai Cee POV
 

“AHHH!” I screamed as Nyiaj disappeared out of sight. I turned around and glared at Nkauj Sheng who was inside cooking. “What makes you better than me?!” I gritted my teeth as my eyes turned teary.

Nkauj Sheng, now that you’ve grown up, you’re planning on stealing everything that belongs to me huh?

 

Peevxwm POV

 

“Only Hwi Chim knows about this after that old man who taught him died! How come this young man you guys are talking about know this also?” the king asked us.

“King, we’re suspecting a conspiracy between those two. I’m at fault here king. That man found out I was a snake so all of this happened.” I bowed.

“No son, it’s fate. We were bound to face this man Hwi Chim. We can’t just keep running away from him hoping he’ll die and we’ll be safe.” The king sighed closing his eyes.

“King, don’t worry, I’ll go back to earth and fight to protect us snakes. Since this was caused by me, I’ll do my best to get rid of them.” I said.

“Peevxwm,” Thaiv glared at me.

“Alright,” the king said.

“Friend!” my dad shouted in disbelief.

“It’s the best choice. Peevxwm has been caught and if more of us goes out to the earth and try to protect us, that’ll just in danger us more. Also, I know how strong Peevxwm is, although I was disappointed why you didn’t join to be one of my bodyguards, I’m sure you know what you’re doing.” The king said. "And so that we can delay Hwi Chim, I'll set up a spell around this village so it'll take him a while to find it." the king looked at the bodyguards.

"Yes king!" four of them shouted and ran of the the castle.

“Then I’ll go out to earth to help Peevxwm too,” Thaiv said. I looked at him as if he was crazy. “I was an orphan since I was born. If anything happens to me, less people will be distressed because of it. And just like Peevxwm, I was caught in earth already so I might as well go and join him to try to defeat that sorcerer Hwi Chim.” Thaiv said.

“Well then,” the king stood up. “Come with me and I’ll teach you two my powers so that you two can do your best and come back unharmed.” The king stood up.

Thaiv and me looked at each other surprised. I looked at my parents who nodded towards us. I gave them a bow and followed after the king.

+++

“Remember what I taught you two. And be safe, this is a word from you guys’ king who wants to protect you.” The king patted Thaiv and my shoulder.

We came out of the river and changed into our human forms.

“Peevxwm, go and look for Nkauj Sheng while I go and look for Nyiaj.” Thaiv told me.

“Thanks brother. If you need anything, just call out for my help okay?” I told him and ran off to look for Nkauj Sheng.

 

Nkauj Sheng POV

 

“Mom~ just let Nkauj Sheng go alone to the farm okay? My stomach really hurts.” Mai Cee whined not willing to get out of bed.

“Mai Cee, we have so much to do, how could you let your sister go to the farm alone?” my mom sighed.

“Mom, just let her be. Her stomach must really hurt. I can go alone. After you help dad so that he could go do his job, you can come after me.” I told her.

“Fine,” my mom shook her head. “Be careful and if you don’t feel safe, come back home got it?” my mom told me.

“I got it,” I nodded and left the house.

I when I arrived at the farm, I started my spacing out while taking out the weeds. Peevxwm this and that just keep on appearing in my head. I don’t want to meet him. No, I do want to meet him.

“Nkauj Sheng,” I heard Peevxwm’s voice and turned around.

In this situation, I don’t know whether to run or stay right where I am. “Don’t come close to me,” I told him. Unknowingly, I looked around to see incase if Nyiaj was around or not.

“Nkauj Sheng, can you listen to me please?” he asked me.

That’s right, if I don’t listen to him, I could live the rest of my life in misunderstanding anyways. I nodded my head.

“I know I lied to you a lot but I swear, I didn’t do it because I wanted to continue tricking you. I wanted to approach you but I was scared that you wouldn’t talk to me because I’m a snake. So I came to you as my human form. I thought it’ll be alright telling you I was a snake later.” He told me.

That’s true and I can’t lie about that. If I knew a snake was coming to talk to me, I wouldn’t want it to.

“And I definitely did not put a spell on you to make you like me. I don’t know how to do such thing. All I did was come up to you and meet you like this,” he looked down to the ground. “I would never hurt you.” He said softly.

I looked at him. Should I believe him? I really want to believe him but somehow I just can’t put my total trust on him yet. Not when everything is still a shock to me.

“Can you give me a few days to think about this?” I asked him.

He nodded. “Of course,” he said. “You need time, I understand that.” I then slowly walked away from me.

I looked at him a bit surprised. He didn’t even persist to stay and explain more. I kept avoiding Nyiaj and him when maybe all I needed to do was talk to these two.

 

~~~

Does Nkauj Sheng really understand now or is she still confused and afraid? And what a nice guy he is, willing to give her space immediately.