10 seconds too long

Tis the Season for Love

kyungsoo accidentally sends a snap of his crush to his crush instead of baekhyun
it's been a month since i last posted a drabble lmao work got me so tired
i have so many ideas for drabbles but when i start to write them, it's like all the motivation is gone /sigh
words: 1.6k
warning: lots of unedited trash, some lame humor, teeny bit of fluff


Kyungsoo was in the middle of his stats lecture when he saw his phone light up next to his notebook. He saw that there was a snap sent from Baekhyun and he took a cautious look at the front of the room to make sure his professor wasn’t looking before he opened up the notification. He tapped on his best friend’s name and there was a picture of Chanyeol in the middle of a sneeze, face all scrunched up with his mouth wide open. Right below his chin, there was a caption that consisted of dozens of crying while laughing emojis.

He stared at the picture for a a few seconds before it soon disappeared, bringing him back to his chat page. After realizing what he just saw, he quickly replayed the snap and took a screenshot of it in case he needed to use it in the future. He then sent back a snap of the ceiling and typed the caption, ‘that’s his new contact pic.’

“…and I’ll be sending the lecture slides tonight. Make sure you review them for the quiz next class,” his professor said.

“Thank god,” Kyungsoo said under his breath as he packed his bag within record time. He grabbed his phone off the desk and saw that there was another notification from Snapchat, it being from Chanyeol this time around.

As he exited the classroom, he opened up the snap and saw a picture of the tall man flipping him off with a serious look on his face. He snorted and he took a quick selfie with a smug smile on his face and a hand under his chin. He sent it to the boy and then tucked his phone back in his pocket for safekeeping as he sped across campus for his next class.

Kyungsoo hated philosophy with a passion and he honestly did not understand why his university made it a core class but he only managed to survive the class because his crush, Jongin, was in it and always made sure to sit next to him for some reason. Oh how he loved seeing that sun kissed boy every Monday and Thursday from 1:50 to 3:15.

The two hit it off pretty quickly in the beginning of the semester when everyone was still awkwardly avoiding one another and pouring all of their attention to their phones. Jongin took the only empty seat left in the room and it so happened to be right next to Kyungsoo. Then out of nowhere, he sheepishly asked if he had an extra pen he could borrow and from then on, it was history.

Kyungsoo made it to class with a good seven minutes to spare and so he decided to fiddle with his phone until his professor walked in. He saw that there was yet another Snapchat notification from Chanyeol and when he opened it, he saw a plate of sushi appear on his screen with the caption: ‘none for u biatch.’

“in’ Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo grumbled under his breath at the snap at one of his most favorite foods. 

Just as Kyungsoo was about to whip out the bird before his camera, Jongin strolled into class, backpack hanging haphazardly off of one shoulder and snapback perched on top of his head. He threw Kyungsoo a lazy grin when he spotted him and plopped down in the uncomfortable chair right next to him.

“Hey Kyungsoo,” he greeted.

“Hey,” the boy said back shyly.

Jongin nodded and then he turned his attention back to his phone. He immediately opened up the chat he had going on with Baekhyun and sent him a hasty message.

 

Kyungsoo: yo baek he’s here
Baekhyun: ???
Kyungsoo: jognog
Baekhyun: ooooohhhhh
Baekhyun: you mean your little puppy crush
Kyungsoo: stfu
Baekhyun: you know it’s true
Baekhyun: so what are you gonna do about it
Kyungsoo: what can i do he’s just sitting right next to me getting ready for class
Baekhyun: idk you should do something at least
Kyungsoo: ugh you’re no help

 

“Good afternoon, class,” the professor drawled as he walked into the room.

People threw back some mutters and the professor just sighed. “Well, let’s not waste time and go straight into Descartes’ Meditations on First Philosophy.”

Kyungsoo quickly tucked away his phone and opened up his notebook to a fresh clean page to get ready for the most boring lecture in the world. He dug through his bag for a pen and the moment he put that writing utensil on his desk, he felt someone tapping his shoulder. He turned his head and saw Jongin meekly grinning at him. “Sorry but can I borrow a pen?”

He snorted and pulled out another pen from his bag. “Do you not own pens?” He teased.

“I don’t know. They just seem to magically disappear right when I walk into class.”

He shook his head and soon began to take down notes. 

As the lecture progressed, Kyungsoo could catch Jongin’s head nodding forward every now and then. He stole a quick glance and saw the boy struggling to stay awake during the explanation of the wax argument but to no avail. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile at how cute he looked and he whipped out his phone to take a snap of it and send it to Baekhyun.

Jongin quickly adjusted his position, elbow on the desk and cheek smushed against his fist. Kyungsoo stealthily pointed his phone in his direction (thank god he sat in a lefty desk or else he wouldn’t get a good side profile picture) and took a quick snap. He hid his phone under his desk and typed the caption: ‘look at this cutie’ before sending it to Baekhyun.

By the time class ended, Jongin had finally woken up from his nap and returned Kyungsoo’s pen with a sheepish grin. “Thanks for the pen.”

“No problem,” he said as he took it. “Why do you even ask for a pen if you’re just gonna end up sleeping during class?”

The boy shrugged as he stuffed his notebook back into his bag. “To make it seem as if I’m ready to learn?” He lamely replied.

The shorter boy snorted and he grabbed his bag off the floor. “Okay, whatever you say. I’ll see you around?”

“Yeah.”

Kyungsoo smiled and he exited the room. He pulled out his phone the moment he was in the hallway to check to see if there was a notification from Snapchat but to his surprise, there wasn’t. Which was weird because Baekhyun always had his phone in his hands whether or not he was in class. He opened up Snapchat and checked to see if he had sent to snap to Baekhyun but his heart stopped when it showed that he sent it to Jongin instead. It was the worst thing he had ever done.

At that exact moment, Jongin had stepped out of the classroom with his phone in his hands. Kyungsoo turned around and the color drained from his face when he saw him fiddling with it. Only now did he regret setting his timer for his snaps to ten seconds.

“Jongin,” he weakly said.

Jongin looked up from his phone and he then held up the thin device, showcasing the snap that was accidentally sent to him. “Did you take this during class?"

Kyungsoo’s face blanched and he stepped forward. “I can explain! I meant to send it to Baekhyun but I guess I sent it to you by accident. Oh god, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean for you to see that.”

The snap had went away by now and all Jongin did was replay it. He stared at it for the ten seconds that it lasted for and then he looked up with a shy smile. “You think I’m cute?”

Kyungsoo was stunned by his reaction. He was expecting him to be disgusted and to tell him that he didn’t want to be friends anymore but instead he got…that. 

“Um…”

Jongin slipped his phone back into the back pocket of his jeans and hunched over a bit, scratching at the back of his ear. “I’m—I don’t know what to say.”

Kyungsoo sighed as he fiddled with the hem of his shirt. “Sorry. Just—Sorry. Um, I’ve had a crush on you since the beginning of the semester and I wasn’t planning on telling you anytime soon but since you got that snap, I guess better out with it than make up a lame excuse, right?”

The taller boy stared at him, making him squirm in place uncomfortable. He let out a breath and soon his lips curved into a small smile. “So does that mean if I ask you out on a date, you’ll say yes?”

“Wait, what?”

Jongin’s ears turned red and he did a little one shoulder shrug. “I don’t know, I thought maybe we could go out sometime since I kinda have a crush on you too. That’s why I always ask if I can borrow a pen from you. It gives me a chance to talk to you since I’m pretty shy and all that.”

Kyungsoo couldn’t believe his ears. Jongin, the tall, handsome, and kind hearted boy who sat next to him all semester, has a crush on him? Was the world coming to an end because the thought of that happening had not even crossed Kyungsoo’s mind once.

Jongin could see how confused he was and he held up his hands. “Hey, if you don’t want to, I’m not gonna force you to. I just—“

“Yes.”

“—wait, what? Yes?”

Kyungsoo broke out into a smile and repeated himself. “Yes. Yes, I will go on a date with you.”

Jongin took a moment to process what just happened and his face beamed. “Awesome,” he breathed out. “Um, is this Friday good? Maybe around 7? I could pick you up, if you want.”

“That would be nice.”

Guess Baekhyun would just have to hear about Jongin next time.