home run

Tis the Season for Love

sm's corps holds their annual company picnic and kyungsoo gets jealous during the softball game
inspired by the grey's anatomy episode where lexie does this to mark's girlfriend (not got7's home run sorry guys lol) and the office
also, i don't have anything against shinee. i just thought it would be fun to put exo and shinee up against each other because they are pretty close irl
words: 2k
warning: comedy (?) and some fluff


The sun was out, the skies were clear, and a warm spring breeze carried the scent of the cherry blossoms along with it. It truly was the perfect Saturday afternoon for the SM Corps company picnic.

Jongin bounced up and down excitedly as he stepped foot into the park, a wide smile plastered on his face. “God, it’s so nice outside. I could fall asleep on the grass right here and now.”

“So do it,” Kyungsoo deadpanned.

Jongin stopped bouncing and he looked down at the girl. “What’s wrong with you?”

The girl scowled as she looked around the park, watching employees from the different branches mingle with one another. “This is so stupid. I seriously don’t get the point of this company picnic. And what is up with the tacky matching baseball tees?”

“Come on,” he said as he nudged her, “it’ll be fun! Think of it as a team building exercise while seeing friends from other branches. And I think the baseball tees are supposed to match the softball theme today. Aren’t you the pitcher for the team?”

“Doesn’t mean I have to enjoy myself,” she grumbled.

Jongin chuckled and he threw an arm around her shoulders to pull her close. “Cheer up, Soo. I promise you’ll have fun.” He then pressed a kiss to her temple and she couldn’t help but smile.

“Fine, I’ll try to enjoy myself. Let’s grab some food before Sehun inhales everything they have.”

He snorted and he ruffled her hair. “Hot dogs or burgers?”

“How about both?”

The company picnic carried on without a hitch, Kyungsoo slowly unwinding and enjoying the beautiful weather and joking around with her coworkers. That was short lived, however, because Junmyeon raced over to the branch’s picnic table frantically. 

“Guys, we’re going up against SHINee,” he announced, looking as if he feared for his life.

Chanyeol nearly passed out and Minseok accidentally choked on his water. Tao’s face grew pale and he asked shakily, “Are you sure it’s SHINee’s branch and not that rookie branch NCT?”

The branch manager sadly nodded and the employees all started groaning.

“We’re toast. How can we even compete against Minho?! Lord knows he should’ve been an Olympian instead of working for a music distributing company,” Baekhyun cried as she threw her hands up.

“No, we can’t give up this soon! Did you guys forget that we have Kyungsoo?” Jongin pointed out as he got up from his seat.

The employees of the EXO branch all slowly turned their heads and stared at the red head. Kyungsoo blinked and she arched an eyebrow. “What are you looking at?” She frowned, the straw of her drink still in .

Junmyeon suddenly let out a breath of relief and he had to grab the table to steady himself. “That’s right, I almost forgot about Kyungsoo, the former high school softball star,” he said softly under his breath, laughing in disbelief. He looked at the girl and looked at her with an uncharacteristic blaze in his eyes. “Kyungsoo, you better whoop some out there or else no bonus at the end of the year.”

“Are you seriously threatening me with the year end bonus?” She gaped.

“I just want to win! You know how Jonghyun always teases me after our branch loses,” he spat with a grimace. He then turned around to look at the branch manager on the other side of the park and shook his head in disgust. “Anyways,” he said as he looks back at the girl, “our game is right after Red Velvet goes up against f(x) so start warming up. And remember, we have to beat SHINee no matter what.”

Kyungsoo sighed in exasperation and Jongin slid into the seat next to her. He squeezed her shoulders and flashed her the smile that always made her heart melt. “I believe in you, Soo. If anyone can take down SHINee, it’s you. And if we lose, at least you’ll have done your best. So don’t worry about Junmyeon and just do your best, okay?”

She took in a deep breath and exhaled with a small grin. “Thanks, Jongin.”

“Anytime, babe,” he said as he pressed a quick kiss against her lips.

The big match between the EXO and SHINee branch soon came around and all of the other branches gathered on the bleachers to watch the showdown. They all knew of the rivalry between Junmyeon and Jonghyun and soon a betting pool was started (courtesy of Heechul from the Super Junior branch). 

In the dugout, Junmyeon was on the verge of tears as he hyperventilated, “Oh god, I don’t think I can do this.”

Yifan patted his back and said, “Chin up, Junmyeon. You have a team to lead. Besides, it’s really Kyungsoo who’s going to be doing all the work so just sit back and watch the game. Well, you’ll still have to do your whole “coaching” thing but you know what I mean.”

Junmyeon wiped his eyes and he straightened up. “You’re right, Yifan. Kyungsoo!”

The girl turned around with wide eyes, her scrunchie in between her lips as she pulled her hair up into a ponytail. She grabbed the hair tie and quickly tied up her hair. “What’s up, boss?”

“Go out there and kick some SHINee . No pressure, though.”

Kyungsoo rolled her eyes and she tugged on her cap. “You say no pressure but there’s definitely pressure. I’ll try.”

Junmyeon nodded and she saluted him as she made her way to the mound with her glove. Jongin was headed to first base when he made a beeline for the girl. He nudged up his cap and smiled at her. “Hey.”

She chuckled and said, “Hey.”

There was a twinkle in Jongin’s eyes and he leaned down to surprise her with a soft kiss. She stiffened but soon relaxed into his touch, kissing him back. He pulled away and whispered in a husky voice, “Just a little good luck charm.”

Her face flushed and she jokingly shoved him away. “Just go to first base already.”

He laughed and he gave her a pat before jogging over to his designated spot. She took in a deep breath and turned to see Jinki, the clumsy financial analyst, making his way to the mound. At least they were starting off with an easy batter.

The game soon took off and the two teams were eventually tied with each having three points. Junmyeon was dying in the dugout and Jonghyun was smugly smiling on his side, so sure that his branch was going to win.

Taemin, the pretty human resources employee, skipped to the batting mound. Her lips were curled into a smirk and she batted her eyelashes at Kyungsoo. “Kyungsoo, darling, do go easy on me. I’m not very good at sports,” she said in sickly sweet voice.

Kyungsoo had to hold back a growl because she and Taemin had a thing between each other. Taemin pined over Jongin for years, always trying to get transferred over to the EXO office to get closer to him or texting him 24/7, hinting at him about her undying love. Then Kyungsoo came into the picture as a new saleswoman in the office and Jongin was smitten immediately. The second Taemin caught wind of Jongin crushing hard on Kyungsoo, she tried to step up her game to get him to notice her but he was too blinded by love to even spare a glance at her. He started going out with Kyungsoo a month later, thus sparking Taemin’s hatred for the new girl.

Before Kyungsoo could throw back an insult, she noticed that she had directed her attention elsewhere. She followed her googly eyes and saw her eyeing Jongin. Her Jongin. Her nostrils flared and she turned back to face Taemin with a glare. No one openly flirts with Kyungsoo’s boyfriend and gets away with it unscathed. 

She gave Luhan, the umpire, a look and he nodded in understanding. He hit his glove a few times and got ready for the pitch that he knew was going to wreck the batter. Taemin lifted her bat up and focused on the ball in the pitcher’s glove.  

Kyungsoo took in a deep breath and grit her teeth as she threw the fastest pitch she could. The ball whizzed past Taemin and straight into Luhan’s glove with a dull thud. Taemin blinked and she gaped at the girl. “That’s not fair! Kyungsoo’s doing her fancy little softball trick on a beginner!”

“ it up,” Kyungsoo bit as she caught the ball that Luhan threw back.

Jonghyun yelled from the dugout, “Hey, no fast balls! That’s not fair!”

Junmyeon perked up at the sound of “not fair” coming from Jonghyun’s mouth and suddenly it seemed like he had come back from the dead. He made his way to the entrance of the dugout and smirked. “What’s the matter, Jonghyun? Kyungsoo too good for Taemin?”

The other branch manager huffed and he muttered a curse under his breath as he angrily kicked the dirt. Junmyeon laughed at the sight of his misery and shouted, “You go, Kyungsoo!”

His cheer got the other employees of the EXO branch cheering for Kyungsoo, including Jongin. The girl felt reenergized and she smirked as she looked at Taemin. “Better get ready because I’m not going easy this time.”

Taemin stomped in frustration but lifted up her bat nonetheless. Kyungsoo took in a deep breath and threw yet another fast ball. However, Taemin managed to swing her bat at the right time and hit the ball all the way to the left side of the field, flying over Yixing and Baekhyun. She let out a squeal and quickly threw her bat off to the side as she ran towards first base.

Kyungsoo was taken aback when she saw the ball fly in the air and only snapped out of her daze when she heard Yifan shouting her name. She turned to her left and saw the tall Chinese man throw the ball towards her. She safely caught it and then threw the ball to first base quickly. Jongin caught the ball but Taemin had already made it safely to the base.

“Better luck next time,” she grinned at Jongin.

Jongin smiled politely at her and tossed the ball back to Kyungsoo. Off to the side in the dugout, Junmyeon let out a sound that resembled a dying whale and Jonghyun whooped loudly.

This time, Minho stepped up to the plate and Kyungsoo pulled down her cap. “Everyone move back a bit; Minho’s the batter this time!” She yelled as she engaged in a stare down with the tall man.

The employees all took a few steps back and those that were on bases lowered their stances, preparing themselves for a fast paced play.

Taemin eyed Jongin’s and she giggled as she grabbed his . “Wow, you have a great .”

Jongin jumped in surprise and he covered his behind. “Thanks but I’d really appreciate it if you didn’t do that,” he said with a tight smile.

“Sorry, I can’t help myself when I see a nice firm . Anyways, what do you see in Kyungsoo? She’s short and stubby and has eyes that are way too big. I’m a much better match for you, don’t you think?” Taemin openly flirted with the man.

Kyungsoo heard every single word from the pitcher’s mound and she was seething with anger and jealousy. Everyone in the company knew of her relationship with Jongin so for her to flirt with her man while she was ten feet away from her was like asking for a death sentence.

“Hey, what’s the hold up?” Minho yelled from the batter’s box, hand on his hip and his lips curling into a frown.

“S-Sorry,” Kyungsoo apologized as she tore her attention from the blonde flirting with her boyfriend.

Although she would’ve loved to strangle the girl right then and there, she still had a game to play. Kyungsoo took in a deep breath and got ready to pitch. Just as she was about to throw the ball, she heard an annoying giggle come from first base and the ball ended up going off to the side.

Taemin snorted and she shouted, “Nice pitch, Kyungsoo! My grandma can throw better than you!”

Kyungsoo caught the ball Luhan threw back and she chanted under her breath, “We still have to win. We still have to win. We still have to win.”

Another annoying giggle broke her train of thought and she carefully turned her head to see Taemin all pressed up against Jongin. He clearly looked uncomfortable and she decided that enough was enough.

In the blink of an eye, Kyungsoo had whirled around and hurled the ball towards Taemin with all the strength she had. The ball hit her right in the and the blonde gasped as she grabbed her chest.

All of the employees on the bleachers and field stared in absolute shock and Baekhyun grimaced. “Oh, right to the .”

The employees of the SHINee branch rushed towards the girl and Jonghyun stormed towards Kyungsoo. “What the was that?!”

Kyungsoo shrugged nonchalantly and glanced at Taemin who was surrounded by her coworkers. “Sorry, I thought she was trying to steal second.”

Junmyeon ran on to the field and wedged himself between Jonghyun and Kyungsoo. “Now now, I’m sure that was a—“

“This is unacceptable! I’m calling the game!” Jonghyun said, face red from anger.

Junmyeon’s face lit up and he grinned slyly. “So does that mean you’re forfeiting?”

“What—I don’t have time for this. I’m calling it!”

“That means you’re forfeiting! EXO wins against SHINee! it, Jonghyun!”

Jongin slipped away from the mess that was first base and he made his way towards Kyungsoo. “Hey, what was that all about?” He whispered in her ear.

Kyungsoo took off her cap and blinked as she pulled the scrunchie from her hair. “I thought she was trying to steal second base, that’s all,” she said as innocently as she could.

Jongin gave her a look and she ran a hand through her hair. “Just wanted to send her a little warning that if I catch her flirting with my man when I’m ten feet away, I will do much worse than a softball to the .”

He stared at her for a moment before pulling her in for a heated kiss. “God you’re so hot when you’re jealous,” he said into the kiss.

“I know."