the colder it is, the warmer we get

Tis the Season for Love

winter never was kyungsoo's favorite season but when there's a massive blizzard and he's forced to stay inside and skip work, he's okay with it
throwback to winter storm jonas that got me out of school for like 2, 3 days lol
i had started writing this a while ago (on one of the snowdays) but decided to finish it now out of nowhere lol
words: 1.3k
warning: i knew where i was going with this and then this happened so yeah...not my best...


Kyungsoo groaned at the sound of his phone going off and reluctantly turned to his side to grab it from the nightstand. He squinted at the glowing screen that displayed Junmyeon's name at the top along with the time. He sighed when he saw that it was only 5:30, an hour before he would normally wake up for work. He answered the call and grunted, "What is it, Junmyeon?"

"Sorry for waking you so early, Kyungsoo, but I just wanted to let you know that there's no work today. The storm dumped a ton of snow outside throughout the night so I thought it would be safer if everyone stayed home for the day. Enjoy the snow day and I'll see you tomorrow unless there's a change of events," Junmyeon announced.

Kyungsoo perked up at the sound of no work and sat up. "Really? Thanks for letting me know. I'll see you tomorrow then."

He tossed his phone off to the side and jumped out of bed to check on the weather outside. He shivered when his feet came in contact with the cold hardwood floor and he padded over to the window. He pulled the blinds up and he had to take a moment to make sure he wasn't seeing things. The sky was still dark and the street lamps were on but as he stared at the light, he could see just how strong the storm was blowing. The snow had already started to half of his tire—mind you it's an SUV. He saw people struggling to get out of the house, shoveling away the large amounts of snow that had piled up on their doorsteps or else they would be knee deep in. Others were digging out their cars and he felt a sense of pity for those with small cars because they wouldn't be budging anytime soon.

He felt strong arms wrap around his waist and he turned his head to see Jongin's face right next to his.

"Holy crap, that's a lot of snow," Jongin mumbled as he rubbed his eyes.

"It is," Kyungsoo sighed as he his husband's chin, feeling the stubble rub against his palm. "At least I don't have work today."

"Awesome." Jongin lazily smiled. "Let's go back to bed then because honestly no one should be awake at this ungodly hour."

The elder chuckled and he gently pried Jongin's arms from his waist. "I will but I'm gonna go downstairs to watch the news for a little. I want to see just how crazy this storm is gonna get. We have salt, right?"

"...I think so?"

He sighed and slipped out of the bedroom and headed down to the living room wordlessly. He turned the TV on and flipped to the news channel. A handsome announcer sat at a desk on the left while another was outside in the blizzard on the right side of the screen.

"As you can see, the snow is falling at a rapid pace and the wind is blowing at 40 miles per hour. The snow is being blown around everywhere, limiting vision to only a few miles ahead. There are a still lot of people making their way to work but they are struggling in the accumulated snow that measures nearly a foot and a half. Buses are running slowly and there is a lot of traffic as well and honestly, this weather just calls for everyone to stay home," the announcer shouted into the microphone over the howling wind.

The announcer in the studio nodded and stared at the camera seriously. "Thank you, Sung. As you can see, the eye of the storm has officially hit the city, making snow fall at an even faster pace and making winds blow even harder. The storm started last night around 11 and there has already been a foot and a half of snow. Meteorologists predict that a whopping 26-30 inches of snow will fall on the city by the end of the storm so stay indoors unless it is an emergency. Stay tuned for more updates on winter storm Jonas as well as word from the mayor."

Kyungsoo shook his head in disbelief and headed down to the basment to grab some shovels and salt for the shoveling they would have to do the next day. Luckily Jongin remembered to buy some salt when he went to BJ's last time so they were all set. All that was left was waiting for the storm to end.

As he struggled to walk up the stairs with the shovels and salt in both hands, he saw Jongin waiting at the top. His hair was still disheveled from sleeping and he was let out a yawn as he reached out for the large bucket of salt. "Why are you bringing them up now?" He asked sleepily.

"I just wanted to have them on standby so that we won't have to go back downstairs tomorrow," Kyungsoo replied as he kicked the door close.

They placed the shovels and salt by the door. Jongin reached for the knob and Kyungsoo just watched wordlessly as he opened the door. The two stared in shock at how much snow had piled up. The snow already reached the bottom of the door and the blanket of snow was sure to pile up even more as the blizzard continued. 

"Jesus, how are we going to shovel all of that?" Jongin gasped, eyes now wide open.

Kyungsoo quickly closed the door and rubbed his arms. "Let's worry about that tomorrow. It's freezing," he shivered as he made his way back to the living room. He dropped back down on the couch and the younger followed after him. He sat down next to him and threw an arm around his shoulders, pulling him closer. 

"So we're not going back to bed?" He asked as he watched the news.

"Do you wanna grab the spare blanket in the closet and just chill here? I don't want to go back upstairs," Kyungsoo suggested.

"Sounds good to me."

Jongin got off the couch and rummaged through the closet for the spare blanket. He pulled it out and unfolded it as he walked back. He draped it around himself and Kyungsoo as he sat down, making the elder snuggle up closer to him. The two continued to watch the news until their eyelids grew heavier and heavier and they couldn't help but succumb to sleep once again.

Kyungsoo awoke with a jolt at the sound of the wind howling loudly outside. He let out a yawn as he rubbed his eyes and stretched out his back, feeling a pop. He sighed as he blinked away the tears that formed while yawning and looked to his side to see Jongin still sleeping peacefully. He snorted at the sight of the younger's head thrown back and his mouth wide open. At least he wasn't drooling like mad.

The roaring winds sounded once again, shaking the windows. Kyungsoo carefully slipped off the couch and made sure to keep Jongin covered up as he went over to the window to check on the condition outside. He slightly pulled the drapes up and his jaw dropped at how much snow had piled up on the street in just a matter of hours. He lowered the drapes back down and he made his way back to the couch. He nuzzled up against Jongin, resting his head on his chest. The younger stirred a bit and tossed an arm around his shoulders, pulling him closer.

"Mm, hyung..." Jongin mumbled.

Kyungsoo softly chuckled as he pulled the blankets back up. "Shh, just sleep."

Jongin mumbled something incoherently and then he resumed soflty snoring. Kyungsoo let out a breath and he closed his eyes, allowing the slow rhythmic beat of Jongin's heart lull him back to sleep.

Kyungsoo never liked winter but on days like these, he couldn't care less.