stop (in the name of love)

Tis the Season for Love

kyungsoo, the model driver, gets pulled over by his cop boyfriend
just had a random of inspiration when i was at work and decided to write this lol
i actually had this in my sitting in my notes with all my drabble ideas and well here it is
i finished this at like 1:30AM while studying for class so sorry for any mistakes (might come back to fix them)
i was using NYC regulations for the permit and driver's license ages so yeah
also you should watch brooklyn nine nine bc it's an amazing show
words: 2.5k


Kyungsoo had always been a good driver. The moment he turned sixteen, he bought a driver’s ed book, read through it while making annotations on the side, and did as many practice tests as he could. He breezed through the permit exam (because let’s face it, that thing was as easy as pie and he realized that the book was a waste of time) and soon signed up for driving lessons. Much to his teacher’s surprise, the boy didn’t even have to do all 45 hours that he signed up for, already driving like a pro after 20 hours of lessons. After that, he pretty much aced his road test on the first try and the rest was history.

Not once had he gotten a ticket for speeding, not once had he gotten into an accident, and not once had he gotten pulled over for having his signal on when he wasn’t supposed to. He was the model driver, or so his boyfriend Jongin liked to call him.

But after barely getting any sleep and staying overtime for parent teacher conferences, Kyungsoo finally had his first slip up.

It all started that morning. After staying up to grade all of his students’ tests, Kyungsoo crawled into bed a little after two in the morning, giving him a little less than five hours of sleep before having to wake up. But bless his neighbor’s soul for deciding to do some sort of construction work at six in the morning. The incessant banging jolted Kyungsoo and Jongin awake and if the elder could, he would march next door and gave the man a solid punch in the face. But given that Jongin was a cop and all, he settled for muttering all known expletives known to man.

He begrudgingly got out of bed while Jongin went back to sleep. How the man could sleep so peacefully through all the noise would forever remain a mystery to him. He washed up and made himself a simple breakfast, leaving his boyfriend’s portion on the table with a little note next to it. He then rummaged through his closet for some clothes that would make him look presentable because let’s face it, he still dressed like he was in college when he was already going on twenty seven.

Kyungsoo sighed as he tried to tie his tie. His fingers were fumbling around and the fabric was just not cooperating with him. He felt strong arms wrap around his waist and he looked down to see Jongin pressing his cheek against his back.

“Why’re you up so early?” The man slurred.

“Because the neighbors were noisy as . Hey, help me tie my tie, will you?”

Jongin stilled for a moment and Kyungsoo thought he fell asleep again before he felt the bed shift under him. The younger sat up with much difficulty and rubbed a fist against his eyes. He looked at the black tie through bleary eyes and then gave the man a once over. “Why are you all dressed up?”

Kyungsoo leaned back and rested his back against Jongin’s warm chest. “It’s parent teacher conferences today so everyone has to dress up a bit to impress the parents. I’m pretty sure they don’t want me wearing a Star Wars t-shirt, jeans, and dirty sneakers.”

Jongin chuckled and pushed the elder up so he could get to fixing that tie around his neck. “You look handsome, Soo,” he mumbled as his fingers deftly worked their magic.

“Thanks.”

“Hm, I think that’s good. Go check in the mirror.”

“If you think it’s good, then it’s fine. I’ll be back home a little later than usual so do you wanna get some take out?” Kyungsoo asked as he got up from the bed, straightening his tight fitting slacks.

Jongin laid back in bed and let out a yawn. “Sounds good. You down for some Chinese? I could pick some up after my shift.”

“Yeah, that’s fine. I’m gonna get going so I’ll see you later. I left breakfast on the table,” Kyungsoo said as he grabbed his bag and blazer.

Jongin flashed a sleepy grin. “You’re the best. Have a great day.” He then reached out and gave his a quick squeeze, eliciting a yelp from the elder. 

Kyungsoo scowled before leaning back and pinching the other’s , making the other jump and pout. He gave him a cheeky smile before pressing a quick peck on his cheek and heading out.

 

 

Having a half day was a blessing in disguise because it allowed Kyungsoo to show his classes a movie under the excuse of not having enough time to cover new material and to take a small nap during that time.

Kyungsoo trudged into the teacher’s lounge and headed straight for the coffee, grabbing his mug from the rack and filling it up.

Suddenly, he felt someone slap his and he jumped, nearly spilling his cup of joe. He whirled around and saw Chanyeol giving him a sly smile. “Hey Soo, nice . You should wear those pants more often.”

“Park Chanyeol, I swear to god if my boyfriend wasn’t a cop, I would’ve killed you already.”

“Don’t we all know it,” Baekhyun sighed from the couch, a magazine splayed across his chest.

Jongdae snorted from his own cup of coffee and said, “Just do it. We’ll help you hide the body and help back up your alibi.”

“What? Nooooo, I was just messing around. Please don’t kill me, Soo,” Chanyeol whined.

“Buy me lunch and I’ll think it about.”

“Deal.”

Baekhyun cackled and he got up from the couch, making his way to the table that the other three were settling around. “God, parent teacher conferences aren’t for another few hours but I’m already drained. I should’ve just pretended I had some family emergency to get out of this.”

“Pretty sure Junmyeon wouldn’t buy it,” Jongdae said, scrolling through his phone.

“True. Worth a shot though.”

“If you say so.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “Alright Park, go get me lunch so I can fuel up for this god forsaken day.”

 

 

Parent teacher conferences went as expected. He would encourage the shy students to speak up more, he would tell that some of the loud students were a bit of a disturbance and that they should turn it down a notch, tell the smart students to keep up the good work, and tell those were who lacking to try a bit harder. The parents were the same as usual. Some were nonchalant about their child’s grade, some would give them a subtle glare, and some were a little too invested. All in all, it was just another regular parent teacher conference.

Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Jongdae all invited Kyungsoo to go out for drinks but he’d much rather go home, eat some greasy Chinese food, and fall asleep in the arms of his boyfriend.

As Kyungsoo was driving back home, he could feel the caffeine wearing off. His eyelids grew heavier with each second and his vision started to blur a bit. He shook his head and tightened his grip on the steering wheel. “Come on, just a few blocks away from home,” he muttered under his breath.

Unfortunately, right at the moment his eyelids drooped down and his head nodded forward a bit, Kyungsoo ran a red light. His head snapped up when he heard the whoop of police sirens and he looked at his rearview mirror only to find a patrol car behind him. His heart dropped and he quickly pulled over to the side.

While waiting for the officer to walk up to his car, Kyungsoo ran a hand through his hair in frustration. Never in his eleven years of driving had he gotten pulled over. This was going to bug him for a long time.

He heard a knock on the window and he lowered it. He took in a deep breath and turned his head to look at the officer, only to find Jongin staring at him in surprise. He looked at him with equal shock and stuttered, “Jongin? I thought you would be done by now.”

Jongin snapped out of his daze and he cleared his throat. “I was about to head back to the station when I saw you run the red light. So, here I am. What happened, Soo?”

Kyungsoo lowered his head in shame. “I was just so tired and got sleepy and I guess I didn’t catch the red light. Jongin, can you let me off the hook just this once? Come on, you know I’m a good driver. I’m never done anything like this before.”

There was a look of consternation on Jongin’s face and he wondered if he should bend the rules just this once for his lover. He let out a sigh and shook his head, his righteousness getting the best of him. “I’m sorry, I’m afraid I can’t. I’m going to need your license and registration.”

Kyungsoo felt his blood run cold. After all these years of safe driving, here he was getting a citation for running a red light. And by his boyfriend, nonetheless.

“Seriously? You can’t just let me off with a warning? You know how clean my record is,” Kyungsoo pleaded.

Jongin was about to speak when he felt a hand on his shoulder and he turned around. Sehun had a scowl on his face and he said, “Dude, what’s taking so long? This normally takes like minutes! Is the guy giving you a hard time? Do I have to step in?”

“Sehun, is that you?”

The younger’s eyebrows scrunched together and he hunched down to get a look at the driver. “Oh , Kyungsoo hyung? You’re the one that ran the light? Man, what are the odds of that happening? Oh wait, it just happened. Okay, I think I should shut up now.” He straightened back up when he saw the crestfallen look on the elder’s face.

Sehun noticed how Jongin looked torn between giving his boyfriend a ticket or letting him go because of his clean record and, well, because they’re boyfriends. He let out a sigh and nodded at the patrol car. “You can head back to the car; I’ll deal with this. You look like you’re about to cry.”

Jongin gave his partner a weak smile and trudged back to the patrol car. Sehun bent back down and leaned against the window. “Hey hyung, you know what you did right?”

Kyungsoo sadly nodded his head. “I ran a red light. I’m sorry man, I didn’t mean to. I’m just so worn out from parent teacher conferences. I’m really sorry. I swear I won’t do it again.”

The younger chuckled and he flashed a small smile. “I know you won’t. You’re like the safest driver in our group of friends. Tell you what, I’ll just let you off with a warning. It was an honest mistake and I don’t want you beating yourself up over it. Just be careful next time, okay?”

“Thanks, Sehun.” Kyungsoo gratefully smiled at the officer.

Sehun grinned and tapped the window. “Well, I heard Jongin was going to pick up Chinese tonight so if you wanna eat, I suggest you go so we can clock out and he can feed you.”

The teacher snorted and he let out a breath. “Thanks again, Sehun.”

“No problem.”

 

 

Jongin hesitantly opened the door to the shared apartment, poking his head through the door to check where Kyungsoo was. When he heard the sound of the water running in the bathroom, he let out a breath and tip toed in, closing the door as gently as he could. He shuffled in and set the bag of Chinese on the table. He then made his way to the bedroom to shed his uniform and change into something more comfortable.

The moment he stepped out of the room, he stood face to face with Kyungsoo. The elder had just gotten out of the shower and still had a towel hanging around his neck, little droplets of water falling from the tips of his hair. Jongin gulped and he shakily greeted, “Hey.”

Kyungsoo stared at him before walking past him and right then and there, Jongin knew he ed up big time.

The officer took the liberty to set up the table, taking out the little white containers and the dozen sauce packets that were haphazardly tossed in with them. He carefully watched as Kyungsoo emerged from their room, an unreadable expression on his face as he approached the table and helped pull out the tissues and few chopsticks at the bottom of the bag.

The two sat down and as they opened up the take out boxes, Jongin cautiously looked up at Kyungsoo. The elder let out a breath and set down his chopsticks with a soft click. “Jongin, stop staring at me like that,” he said in a tired voice.

Jongin lowered his gaze and mumbled, “I’m not staring at you.”

“Yeah, you were. Look, I’m not mad or anything. You had to do your job.”

“I could’ve just let you off with a warning…”

Kyungsoo shrugged and said, “You did. Well, technically Sehun did but you two are partners so I’ll pretend you let me off too. Honestly, I’m not mad. It was my fault for not catching that light. You just did what any other police officer would do so stop beating yourself up over it.”

Jongin had a kicked puppy expression on his face and the elder let out a sigh. He got up from his seat and hugged the younger. “How are you a cop when you’re this soft hearted? Aren’t cops supposed to be hard asses?”

Kyungsoo could hear Jongin mutter, “I can be a hardass when I want,” and he laughed. He patted his back and said, “Okay, officer, if you say so.”

The younger pulled away from his embrace and looked at him. “You know, I’m surprised you aren’t more upset about this. I mean, you did get pulled over for running a light. Shouldn’t you be ranting about how you messed up your perfect record.”

“It still is a perfect record since you left me off with a warning. And something like this was bound to happen one day so at least it was you and not some hard cop who would grill me about this.”

Jongin giggled, “Yeah, Minseok hyung told me his old partner was a huge to a new driver. You sure you’re not mad?”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and bent down to give him a kiss to shut up him. “Yes, I’m not mad. Now let’s eat before the food gets cold.”

“Wanna watch TV while eating?"

“If we’re not watching Brooklyn Nine Nine, then no.”

“We’ll watch Brooklyn Nine Nine.”

“Then yes.”

 

 

The next time Kyungsoo passed by the same traffic light where he got pulled over, he made sure that he was wide awake and that his eyes were peeled. He did nearly run the light again but he managed to stop just in time, his car screeching loudly to a stop. He noticed a patrol car just across the street and saw Jongin giving him a thumbs up. He rolled his eyes with a smile and continued back home when the light turned green.