lost and found

Tis the Season for Love

 jongin accidentally loses his son at the park and when he finds him, he also finds the love of his life
omg it's been almost half a year since i last updated but hi to all the new subscribers!
okay so i've worked on this for like forever and the end result is completely different from what i started out with but i'm satisfied with it (for the most part)
this is dedicated to my irl bff who served as a beta and put up with all my crap
this is quite the doozy since this is like the longest 
oneshot i've ever written (i thought 3k was long but that's nothing on this)
also, i may or may not come back to this to add a cute little epilogue or just make a completely new chapter for it so we'll see
words: 14868
warning: , single dad!au


Kim Jongin is many things. He is smart, handsome, caring, kind, generous; the list can go on. But one of the things he prides himself on is being a good father. Even with a five year old at home, he’s still able to hold down a full time job and spend time with his son. It wasn’t easy being a single father but he wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

The moment he stepped into the orphanage and set his eyes on Sehun, he knew he would not leave without bringing the boy home with him. When he went to introduce himself and warm up to the three year old, they immediately clicked and Jongin brought the boy home with him after six months of constantly bothering the adoption agency. The boy wasn’t officially his until after another six months but the moment he brought him back home, he was already his son.

 

Despite Jongin being the general manager at his company, he always sped through his work to make sure he left on time to pick up his baby boy from school and to spend the rest of the evening with him by helping him with his homework, eating dinner, showering, watching cartoons together, and falling asleep.

 

The father-son duo had a weekend ritual of going to the park nearby to stretch their limbs and to get some fresh air. They would start out on the jungle gym before Jongin and his old man body got tired and he would settle on the bench just a few feet away from the sand box. After the boy got tired, he would pick him up, maybe buy him an ice cream, and carry him home.

 

However, Jongin was exhausted on the day of the park visit due to some damage control that he had to do within the accounting department. It took forever to fix everything and he barely made it in time to pick up Sehun from kindergarten. Even when he was at home, he still had to finish up some extra work in his office and stayed up late in the end because the mountain of paper work just never seemed to grow smaller. But Jongin powered through them and managed to wake up just in time to get Sehun ready, feed him, dress him, and take him to the park like usual.

 

Jongin had a wide smile on his face as he watched Sehun play with Tao, the Chinese boy who lived down the street from them, in the sandbox. They were the cutest little things and he could just eat them right up.

 

“Sehun, be careful!” He shouted as he saw the little boy stumble.

 

Sehun looked up and beamed a bright smile at Jongin. Jongin’s heart melted at the sight of his son and he gave him a little wave before the boy turned back to his friend.

 

As he watched over the children, he felt his eyelids slowly start to grow heavier with each passing second. He only managed to get a few hours of sleep after finishing all his work and he desperately needed a nap but he still had to keep an eye on his baby. He tried to wake himself up by slapping his cheeks but with the combination of the warm sun shining down on him and the gentle spring breeze, he just couldn’t resist it.

 

 

 

Jongin woke with a jolt when he heard screaming children run past him. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and stretched his back until he felt a satisfying pop. He let out a yawn and checked his watch. He somehow fell asleep for nearly an hour and a wave of guilt washed over him. He was supposed to supervise the kids, not take an afternoon nap. Deciding that it would just be better to cut their visit to park short just by a couple of hours, Jongin headed towards the sandbox to tell his son. 

 

Two children were crouched in the sand box, giggling to one another as they decorated their large pile of sand with rocks and twigs. Jongin knelt down and placed a hand on the child with a brown bowl cut. “Sehun, it’s time to—“

 

The child turned around and Jongin’s eyes widened when he saw that it wasn’t Sehun. The second child turned around and luckily it was Tao. “O-Oh, sorry about that. Tao, did you see where Sehun went?”

 

Tao pursed his lips in thought and then shrugged. “I don’t know.”

 

Jongin started to panic on the inside but remained calm on the outside. “If you see Sehun, you let me know, okay?”

 

The Chinese boy nodded and Jongin patted his head before he darted out of the sandbox and started running around the park to find his son. He checked the two jungle gyms, the little tunnels he sometimes liked to hide in, and even the garden where he sometimes liked to pluck little dandelions from.

 

“Sehun! Sehun, where are you?!” Jongin shouted as he ran through the park. He ran past the swings but skidded to a stop when he thought he saw a familiar figure. He backpedaled and took a closer look at the child on the swing. Lo and behold, it was Sehun happily swinging his legs as he spoke animatedly with a stranger.

 

Jongin’s mama bear instinct kicked in and he ran over to the swings. “Sehun!”

 

Sehun tore his attention from the stranger and his lips stretched into a wide grin. “Daddy!” He jumped off the swing and ran over to him, wrapping his short arms around the man’s legs.

 

Jongin bent down and hugged his son. “Sehun, do you know how scared I was when I saw that you weren’t in the sandbox with Tao? I thought I lost you! Don’t ever leave my sight again, got it?” He scolded.

 

The boy pouted and he nodded. Jongin finally let out a breath of relief but that was short lived when he heard a voice. 

 

“Excuse me.”

 

Jongin looked up angrily but the anger dissipated quickly because he was taken aback by the stranger’s beauty. He was met with the brightest pair of chocolate eyes behind a pair of circle frame glasses, thick eyebrows that framed his face perfectly, and the plumpest pair of lips he had ever seen. He slowly got up and realized that the stranger was shorter than him by half a head (the perfect height for hugs, he thought).

 

The stranger looked slightly anxious, twiddling with his thumbs as he looked at the man. “Before you misunderstand anything, I was already sitting on the swing when Sehun decided to sit down next to me and talk. I didn’t lure your son towards me with candy or anything, if that’s what you thought.”

 

Jongin blinked and Sehun ran up to the stranger, giving him a big hug. He was shocked because Sehun never warmed up to strangers that quickly—he was the only exception. “Kyungsoo hyung is really nice! He pushed me on the swings and even told me funny stories!”

 

The father looked at Kyungsoo and let out a sigh. “I’d be lying if I didn’t think you kidnapped my son. But thank you for explaining everything to me. God, I’m so stupid for losing Sehun.”

 

Kyungsoo hesitated for a moment before putting a comforting hand on his arm. “Don’t beat yourself up about it. Kids his age like to run around without thinking about the consequences.”

 

Jongin relished the warmth on his arm before letting out a weary laugh. “Thanks but this was my fault. I was so tired from work that I fell asleep on the bench when I was supposed to be watching him. At least he met a nice person like you instead of actually being kidnapped.”

 

A small smile appeared on Kyungsoo’s face and Jongin felt his heart stop for a moment. “Well, we all have those days.”

 

Sehun let out a loud gasp and ran back to his father. “Dad! Can Kyungsoo hyung come with us to get some ice cream?” He asked.

 

Jongin looked at the boy in surprise and he awkwardly looked back and forth between his son and Kyungsoo. “I don’t know, Sehun. I don’t want to bother Kyungsoo. He could be busy for all we know.”

 

Sehun started to whine and tug at the man’s shirt. “Please, please, please! Can Kyungsoo hyung come?”

 

The five year old continued to whine and complain and it left Jongin flustered. Noticing his dilemma, Kyungsoo cleared his throat. “I’m, uh, actually free for the rest of the day. I was originally going to meet up with a friend but he canceled on me last minute so yeah… But only if I’m not a bother!”

 

Jongin smiled wearily as Sehun cheered. “Thank you, Kyungsoo. I owe you for this.”

 

“Oh no, it’s fine! I would love to hear Sehun tell me more about his super cool dad,” Kyungsoo lightly teased.

 

The father sputtered and before he could do anything, Sehun grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand and started tugging him towards the park exit. “Come on, hyung! Dad’s buying us ice cream!”

 

Sehun held hands with Kyungsoo during the entire walk to the ice cream shop and Jongin just knew there was something special about the man. His son was always very wary of new people and took a while to open up to them but with Kyungsoo, it was instant. It had to be a sign.

 

“Sorry Sehun dragged you with us,” Jongin apologized as he the boy’s hair. His son was happily eating his ice cream and was in a trance where he basically ignored everything and everyone around him until he finished the delicious treat.

 

Kyungsoo shook his head with a smile as he looked down at his own cup of vanilla ice cream. “It’s fine, I really like kids anyways. By the way, I never got your name. It’s kinda unfair how you know mine but I don’t know yours.”

 

“Oh, where are my manners? I’m Kim Jongin.”

 

“And I’m Do Kyungsoo. Sorry if this comes off as rude but when did you have Sehun? I’m just curious because you look extremely young.”

 

Jongin let out a whole hearted laugh. “I get that question a lot. I didn’t “have” Sehun, per se. I adopted him two years back but it feels more like he’s been in my life ever since he was born. And how old do you think I am?” He asked, resting his elbows on the table and leaning forward with a teasing smile.

 

Kyungsoo’s cheeks flared and he looked down at his melting ice cream. “I see,” he mumbled. “And now I’m not sure about your age but you look like you’re twenty five.”

 

Jongin chuckled, “Well thank you but I’m actually thirty five.”

 

The boy gasped loudly and slapped a hand over his mouth. His eyes were comically wide and he repeated, “Thirty five? Oh my god, you don’t look your age at all! I honestly assumed you were around my age!”

 

“So does that mean you’re twenty five?”

 

“Twenty four, actually.”

 

“Interesting because I thought you were still a high schooler when I first saw you.”

 

The younger pouted and Jongin was just smitten at this point. Suddenly, Sehun threw himself on his dad’s lap after finishing his treat and droned, “I’m sleepy.”

 

Jongin cooed at him and softly pinched his cheek, making the child giggle. “Looks like it’s time to head back.” He looked up at Kyungsoo and smiled. “Thank you for earlier and coming along with us. How can I repay you for this?”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head. “No no, it’s fine. I had a great time today. I was just going to go home and watch Netflix but I’m glad I stayed out because now Sehun and I are best buddies. Right, Sehun?”

 

Sehun sleepily gave him a thumbs up. Jongin chortled and he ran a hand through his soft brown hair. “He looks like he’s about to knock out any second so I think we should go.”

 

Jongin got up from his seat and picked Sehun up, knowing fully well that the five year old was not going to last the walk out of the ice cream shop. Kyungsoo got up and gathered all the trash, placing it in his now empty cup. He tossed everything out and ran to open the door for the elder.

 

Outside the ice cream shop, Jongin smiled once again at Kyungsoo. “Once again, thank you for today, Kyungsoo. Are you sure there’s nothing I can do to make it up to you?”

 

The younger nodded. “I’m positive. I really had fun today. It’s just a shame that I won’t be able to see Sehun anymore,” he said as he watched the boy start to fall asleep.

 

At Kyungsoo’s words, Sehun perked up and turned his head around. “Still wanna see Kyungsoo hyung,” he slurred. 

 

Jongin laughed and he rubbed his son’s back as he rested his head on his shoulder once again. Kyungsoo had an amused look at his face and said, “Looks like Sehun has spoken. Honestly, I would love to see Sehun again. Only if that’s okay with you, Jongin…hyung? Is it okay if I call you that?”

 

“It’s more than okay. And I would love for you to hang out with Sehun. He’s really taken a liking to you, which is strange because he usually takes a long time before really opening up to others.”

 

“Guess that makes me special,” Kyungsoo joked.

 

Jongin looked at him softly. “It really does. Anyways, we should really head back now. I can already feel him starting to drool on my shirt.”

 

Kyungsoo snorted and he stuck his hands in his pockets. “I guess that’s it for today. It was nice meeting you and Sehun today, hyung.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I gotta go catch my bus so see you around again some time?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

Kyungsoo waved goodbye and Jongin reciprocated but he felt like he was forgetting something. Just as the younger was about to walk down the street, Jongin gasped. “Kyungsoo, wait!”

 

He turned around and the elder coughed. “Um, why don’t we just exchange numbers so that we won’t have to rely on coincidence next time?”

 

Kyungsoo stared at him for a moment before fumbling for his phone. “Yes, that’s a— yes, we should,” he stumbled over his words as he grabbed his phone.

 

Jongin struggled for a bit, being that he was holding his son in one hand and trying to grab a hold of his phone and Kyungsoo’s in the other. Kyungsoo took his phone and chuckled, “I got it.”

 

“Thanks,” Jongin said sheepishly, cheeks turning a light pink.

 

He watched as the younger punched his number into his phone and then calling himself to save the new contact. He thanked the boy when he was handed back his phone and he let out a sigh. “Looks like it’s really time for goodbye.”

 

Kyungsoo shyly scratched the spot below his ear. “Well, you can always text me or call me whenever Sehun’s up for a playdate so it’s not really goodbye. But I think you should get going because Sehun’s knocked out like a light.”

 

Jongin peered at his son and held back a chuckle. “You’re right. We’re gonna head back so get home safely.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded and the two said their last goodbyes before heading their separate ways. Once back home, Jongin tucked Sehun into his bed and made his way to the living room. He flopped onto the couch and let out a heavy breath, finally able to take a short break before having to start dinner soon. He pulled his phone out and saw that there were a few messages from Kyungsoo that was sent not too long ago.

 

From Kyungsoo:
i just got back home c:
tellsehun that i’m looking forward to our next playdate
and i’m also looking forward to seeing you next time,hyung

 

Just reading the text made Jongin’s heart race. He hadn’t felt this way in years and he was honestly feeling a little bit scared. He had been out of the dating game for three years with his last relationship ending on a sour note. He thought that their relationship was serious enough to take to the next level, to maybe settle down and adopt a kid together but clearly his ex-lover didn’t agree so he got dumped. It was a blessing in disguise, really, because if he stayed with the same man, he probably wouldn’t have adopted Sehun and would’ve been very unhappy.

 

Jongin continued to stare at the messages and all he could think of was oh my god what should I send back. He would start typing a message, only to completely delete it and start over again. This process repeated itself way too many times for Jongin’s liking and he felt like a love-struck teenager again. He finally settled on a simple message.

 

To Kyungsoo:
i look forward to seeing you too

 

The man kept on rereading his message, eventually tossing his phone to the side and burying his face in his hands. “Oh my god, that sounded so lame,” he moaned. He then straightened up and grabbed his phone. He stared at the name at the top and whispered to himself, “Do Kyungsoo, what are you doing to me?”

 

 

 

Surprisingly, the next time Jongin saw Kyungsoo was in the supermarket. He had just picked up Sehun from school after work and stopped by the supermarket for some last minute groceries. He was in the middle of inspecting some apples when he heard Sehun scream, “Kyungsoo hyung!”

 

Jongin nearly dropped the apple he was holding at his son’s sudden shout and turned around. His breath caught in his throat when he saw Sehun tightly hugging Kyungsoo, the other smiling widely and hugging him back.

 

“Hey buddy, how’ve you been?” Kyungsoo grinned as he pulled back.

 

Sehun took in a deep breath and he soon started rambling. “Today at school, a bug flew into Tao’s face and he started screaming and running around and the teachers had to catch him and make him stop crying. And then when it was nap time, someone let out a really loud fart and it smelled really bad and everyone was trying to figure out who it was and I knew that it was really Jimin but I didn’t say anything because Jimin is really nice.”

 

Kyungsoo was a bit taken aback by all the new info but smiled nonetheless. “Well, sounds like you had an interesting day. Are you here alone? Where’s your dad?”

 

“Daddy? He’s right there!” Sehun spun around and pointed at Jongin who was trying to hide his face behind a bright red apple. The man slowly lowered it and awkwardly waved.

 

“Hello,” he said weakly as he placed the apple back on the pile.

 

Sehun ran up to Jongin and pridefully smiled. “Doesn’t daddy look cool today?” He asked as he puffed his chest out and held his chin up.

 

Jongin was dressed in a three piece suit since he had a big presentation to do today, but he left his jacket in his car. His navy slacks hugged his legs and just right, his white button up buttoned all the way with his sleeves rolled up his forearms, navy vest accentuating his lean torso, and a dark gray tie finishing it off. His hair was tousled up messily but in the messy-but-effortlessly-y way and if he had glasses on, Kyungsoo would’ve combusted on the spot. 

 

The younger stared at him for a little too long and when he saw the elder raise an eyebrow, his face flushed and he quickly looked back at Sehun. “Y-Yeah, he looks really cool today.”

 

More like super handsome, was what Kyungsoo thought in the back of his head but he decided to keep that to himself.

 

“How have you been, Kyungsoo?” Jongin asked with a small smile.

 

The man’s smooth baritone voice sent shivers down his spine and he sharply inhaled. “I-I’ve been okay. Tired from work but who isn’t? Haha…” He answered back stiffly.

 

Jongin let out a laugh and ran a hand through his hair. “You’re right about that. Where do you work?”

 

“Oh, I work as a music teacher in an elementary school. I mostly work with the younger students which is why I said that I liked kids last time.”

 

Jongin stuffed his hands into his pockets and leaned back a bit. “I do remember you saying that. That sounds like a pretty cool job. I just work in an office, typing away at the computer all day.”

 

Kyungsoo quirked up a corner of his lip and said, “Well, we gotta do what we have to to survive in this world.”

 

The elder chuckled and suddenly, Sehun wrapped his arms around his legs. “Daddy, can Kyungsoo hyung come back home with us and eat dinner with us? Please? Please please please pleaseeeeeeeee?”

 

Jongin looked down at Sehun, who was constantly begging him, and back up at Kyungsoo, who looked equally as surprised as he was by Sehun’s plea.

 

“Um…”

 

Jongin nervously his lips, unsure if he should take this God given opportunity to bring Kyungsoo over without a lame excuse and to get closer to the younger. But he didn’t want to seem obvious so he decided to make Sehun the deciding factor. “Sehun, I think you should ask Kyungsoo hyung what he thinks,” he said softly as he tugged the boy off his legs.

 

The five year old whirled around and looked at Kyungsoo with bright eyes. “Hyung, do you want to eat dinner with us? I really missed you and I want to hear more of your stories.”

 

There was a look of consternation on Kyungsoo’s face. He looked back and forth between Sehun and Jongin, debating if he should accept the offer or not. When he saw a small awkward smile and shrug from the elder, he caved in. He knelt down and patted Sehun’s head. “I would love to eat dinner with you and your dad.” He smiled, unknowingly making Jongin’s heart race.

 

Sehun gasped and he hugged the man. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but laugh and then looked up at Jongin. “I hope it’s not any trouble.”

 

“Oh no, it’s fine. It sometimes gets a bit boring with just the two of us so it’s always nice to have some company,” Jongin explained as he held a hand out.

 

Kyungsoo looked at his hand and hesitated before he slipped his hand into it. The elder grinned and helped him up as Sehun excitedly ran around them. “Yay! Kyungsoo hyung can play with me and help me with homework!”

 

“Okay, calm down, Sehun. Remember we’re still in the market so you need to use your inside voice,” Jongin chided as he grabbed his cart. 

 

He looked at Kyungsoo and sheepishly grinned. “Do you mind if I just finish grabbing a few more things?”

 

The younger shook his head and gestured ahead. “By all means! I still have to buy some stuff too, if that’s fine.”

 

“Of course. Come on, Sehun, let’s go!”

 

The trio finished buying groceries and were all soon in the parking lot. Jongin loaded his bags into the trunk and held his hand out in front of Kyungsoo. Unconsciously, he put his hand into his and Jongin chuckled. “I must say, I do enjoy holding your hand but I was reaching for your bags.”

 

Kyungsoo’s face flared and he quickly yanked his hand from his grip. “I-I’m so sorry! It just happened before I realized. God, I’m so stupid,” he groaned as he passed his bags to the man.

 

“It’s fine.” Jongin grinned good-naturedly as he closed the trunk. Kyungsoo pouted as he trudged his way to the passenger side while Jongin helped Sehun settle into his car seat.

 

He soon slid into the driver’s seat and looked at Kyungsoo and then Sehun. “Are we all buckled up and ready to go?”

 

“Yes!” Sehun shouted excitedly as he kicked his feet.

 

He laughed and then looked at Kyungsoo. “Are you ready?”

 

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” Kyungsoo sheepishly laughed and Jongin smiled. He started the car up and the three were on the road in no time.

 

 

 

 

“Oh, I forgot to ask: are you okay with dogs?” Jongin asked Kyungsoo right when they approached the door.

 

Kyungsoo blinked and then let out a smile. “I love dogs. I play with my best friend’s corgi all the time when I go to his place.”

 

Sehun excitedly tugged on Kyungsoo’s shirt and shouted, “We have three dogs! They’re all toy poodles and their names are Monggu, Jjanggu, and Jjangah!”

 

“Well, the more the merrier.” Kyungsoo grinned at Sehun. Jongin felt a smile creep up on his face as he watched the two interact and before he could be anymore obvious, he quickly unlocked the door.

 

The moment they stepped into the home, a flurry of red and white fur attacked their legs while barking loudly and yipping excitedly. Jongin and Sehun stepped through the crowd of dogs as if it was nothing, slipping their shoes off and trading them for slippers, while Kyungsoo was left floundering a bit.

 

Jongin turned around as Sehun ran to the living room and the man couldn’t help but laugh. “You okay there?”

 

Kyungsoo looked up with wide eyes and he awkwardly smiled. “Yeah, I just didn’t expect your dogs to be so hyper. My friend’s corgi is like the laziest dog ever.” He then looked down and watched as the three toy poodles all circled his legs and tried to sniff his . 

 

The elder bit back a grin and he whistled lowly. The dogs all perked up and immediately ran to his side. Kyungsoo let out a small breath of relief and toed off his shoes, stepping into the slippers that Jongin set out for him. “Thanks, hyung.”

 

Jongin bent down to pet the dogs, all of them fighting for his attention and jumping around him. “Don’t worry about it. A lot of my friends still get a little overwhelmed by my babies.”

 

“You call them your babies?” Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow.

 

It was then that the elder’s face turned red as he pet his dogs. “Well before Sehun came along, they were all I had so they were basically my babies.”

 

Kyungsoo dropped down in front of Jongin and softly smiled as he reached out for the white poodle who sniffed at him curiously. “That’s really cute. I can see that you really care for them and that they love you a lot.”

 

Jongin pressed his lips together to fight back the smile that threatened to bubble up and he got up. Kyungsoo picked himself up as well and he grinned. “So, will I be able to see the house before or after dinner?”

 

“Whichever you like,” Jongin chortled.

 

“Daddy, there’s poop in the living room!” Sehun screamed.

 

The two men froze at the boy’s shout and Jongin let out a groan. Kyungsoo held back a laugh and the elder merely sighed. “Guess I better take care of that first.”

 

 

 

 

After cleaning up the mess and changing into more comfortable clothing, Jongin got started on dinner. He dug through his groceries and pulled out ingredients one by one before putting the rest back into the fridge. Tonight’s dinner was going to be his special curry, something he only made when he was in a good mood or if Sehun begged him enough.

 

“Do you need any help?”

 

Jongin jumped and whirled around to find Kyungsoo standing by the kitchen island. He let out a breath and put a hand on his chest. “Oh my god, I was wondering why Sehun’s voice got so deep out of nowhere but then I remembered that you were over as well.”

 

Kyungsoo laughed and Jongin’s heart just melted at how his eyes crinkled into crescents, at how his nose scrunched up, and how squishy his cheeks looked. “Well, Sehun is in the living room doing his homework. He wanted me to tell him some stories but I told him I would only tell him some if he finished his work.”

 

“Wow and he actually listened to you the first time? It usually takes me a few reminders before he actually does his homework.”

 

“What can I say, I’m good with kids.” Kyungsoo grinned. “But do you need any help getting dinner ready?”

 

Jongin looked around him and shrugged. “I’m not making much, just some curry and a few side dishes. You can just sit and watch instead, if you’d like.”

 

The younger awkwardly scratched the back of his head and said, “I feel kind of awkward just sitting around and waiting for food. Oh, think of this as pay back for the ice cream from last time!”

 

“Well…”

 

“I’ll take that as a yes, then.” Kyungsoo smiled and then made his way next to Jongin. “So, what do you want me to do, chef?”

 

Being so close to Kyungsoo made Jongin’s heart pound. Their shoulders were practically touching and he could smell the scent of the other’s detergent. He cleared his throat and gestured to the vegetables. “If you could help me peel and cut the veggies, that would be great.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded and washed his hands thoroughly before handling the produce. He stared at the carrots and potatoes before realizing he didn’t have a peeler, a knife or a cutting board. He turned to Jongin, whose back was to him as he fiddled with the rice cooker, and he hesitantly reached out and tapped his shoulder. The man turned around and he awkwardly said, “As much as I would love to peel and cut the vegetables, I don’t have the tools to do so."

 

If he could, Jongin would let out the loudest squeal that was socially acceptable for a man of his age because Kyungsoo just looked too damn cute the way he shyly peered up at him with his wide bright eyes. Instead, he cleared his throat and looked around the kitchen. “Oh right, I forgot about that. Silly me. Let me grab it for you.”

 

He grabbed the knife and peeler for him since it was in the drawer right by him but the cutting board was in a different cabinet. “‘Scuse me,” he muttered as he squeezed between Kyungsoo and the kitchen island behind him. He placed his hand on the other’s shoulder and he could feel him tense up ever so slightly. He grinned a bit. 

 

After grabbing the wooden board, he handed it to Kyungsoo and smiled. “Here you go.”

 

Kyungsoo’s face was flushed and he meekly grabbed the board. “Thanks,” he whispered.

 

“No problem.”

 

 

 

Dinner went on without a hitch and with Sehun satisfied with Kyungsoo’s stories, Jongin thought it was the perfect time to show Kyungsoo around. “There's nothing special about the house, except for maybe the backyard. We have a lot of gatherings out here and when it gets hot, we sometimes break out the pool. But you know, it’s enough for us two,” the man explained as he gestured to the yard.

 

Although he couldn’t see much in the dark, Kyungsoo could tell there was a little garden with tulips in full bloom along with a swing set. He looked up at the man and said, “That sounds really awesome. I can just imagine a nice barbecue going on with Sehun and his friends running around while all the grown-ups are just chatting away. Man, throw in some tiki torches and some fairy lights and it would be the ultimate summer party.”

 

Jongin laughed. “Maybe I should invest in some. Would you like to come to one of our future barbecues? I definitely know Sehun wouldn’t mind.”

 

“Wow, I would love to. Thank you.”

 

“It’s no problem.”

 

Suddenly, Kyungsoo’s phone started ringing and he dug his phone out of his pocket. He scowled a bit when he saw the caller ID and sheepishly looked at Jongin. “Sorry, do you mind if I take this?”

 

Jongin shook his head and gestured for him to answer the phone. Kyungsoo turned around and picked up the call. “What do you want, Baek? Wait, what? Oh crap, you meant tonight? Okay, I’ll be there soon.”

 

The call ended and Kyungsoo let out a sigh as his shoulders deflated. He turned around and saw the curious look on Jongin’s face. “Sorry, that was my friend calling."

 

“Oh, that’s fine. Is everything okay?” Jongin asked worriedly.

 

Kyungsoo shrugged nonchalantly. “Yeah, everything’s fine. I just totally forgot that he was going to my place tonight to hang out.” He then checked the time and gasped. “Damn, I think I missed my last bus. Guess I’ll catch a taxi or something.”

 

“Would you like a ride? It is late and you still have your groceries to bring back with you.” Jongin offered, stuffing his hands into his jeans.

 

The younger smiled and shook his head. “Thank you for the offer but it’s okay. Besides, I don’t want to leave Sehun all home alone.”

 

Jongin nodded, slightly sad that Kyungsoo had to leave and because he was right about Sehun. “I understand. Let me just grab your groceries from the kitchen.”

 

When they made their way to the door, Sehun ran towards them with the poodles in tow and looked up at Kyungsoo. “Hyung, are you leaving already? Stay longer! I still want to hear more stories!” He pleaded as he hugged the man’s legs.

 

Kyungsoo smiled and he bent down in front of Sehun. “I would love to stay longer but I have some business that I have to take care of. I’ll come over next time for a play date. Does that sound good?” He ruffled the boy’s hair.

 

Sehun pouted but nonetheless nodded. Jongin chortled at the sight and said, “Sehun, it’s time for you to wash up. Go head up to the bathroom and I’ll meet you there in a few minutes.”

 

“‘Kay.”

 

Once Sehun disappeared upstairs, Jongin turned to Kyungsoo and apologized. “I’m so sorry about that. Again, it’s so uncharacteristic of Sehun to get attached to someone as quickly as he did with you.”

 

“It’s okay. I find it kind of cute. Anyways, thank you for having me over for dinner. It was delicious and I had a lot of fun. Oh, I made that whole play date appointment without asking you. Do you mind if I come back again?” Kyungsoo asked with wide eyes as he looked up from the dogs who were all at his hands.

 

Jongin softly smiled and nodded. “I don’t mind at all.”

 

“Awesome.” Kyungsoo got up from the floor and grabbed his bags as Jongin grabbed the door for him.

 

At the door, Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin and gave him a boyish grin. “Again, thanks for having me over tonight.” He hesitated for a moment, his bags rustling as he tightened and loosened his grip on them. He then set them down on the floor once again and then got up on his tip toes to throw his arms around Jongin’s neck, pulling him in for a quick hug.

 

Jongin blinked and before he could even register what was going on, Kyungsoo had already pulled away and grabbed his bags with flushed cheeks. “See you next time!” He coughed and he then darted out of the house.

 

The man’s lower lip jutted out into a pout and he hugged the air where Kyungsoo was just standing. “See you next time…”

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun tapped his foot against the linoleum, the sound echoing in the empty hallway and his scowl growing deeper. He perked up when he heard the elevator ding and when he saw Kyungsoo step out of it, he threw his hands up and sighed, “There you ing are! I waited almost an hour for you out here.”

 

Kyungsoo huffed as he made his way to the man and lightly kicked him as he dug for his keys. “Shut up, I forgot.”

 

“Where were you anyways? Out on a date or something?” The other man leaned against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest and eyes narrowed. 

 

Kyungsoo froze and his cheeks heated up. Baekhyun straightened up and he looked at the man with a smirk. “Do Kyungsoo, were you with a man?”

 

Luckily the door unlocked so Kyungsoo scurried into his apartment to avoid answering the question. Unfortunately, the man was hot on his heels and asked, “Were you with a guy? Were you out on a date? Was he hot? How’d you meet him? Oh my god, answer my questions!”

 

Dropping the bags on his counter with a thud, Kyungsoo sighed in exasperation. “Yes, I was with a guy. No, it wasn’t a date. Yes, he’s super hot. And I met him at the park. Happy?”

 

“No. I need more details, Soo. Spill all the tea!” Baekhyun gasped as he took a seat on the couch. “I can’t believe after three years of being single, you’re finally ready to find yourself another man. I’m so proud of you.” The man then pretended to wipe a stray tear from his eye with a sniffle.

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as he put away his groceries and grabbed two beers from the fridge. “Shut up.” He tossed one to Baekhyun and then plopped down next to him. “And honestly, there isn’t much to say. I met him at the park one day when he was looking for his son.”

 

The elder choked on his beer and he coughed, “I’m sorry, did you say son? Kyungsoo, I didn’t know you were that desperate enough to go for a married guy. You should’ve told me! I would’ve set you up with one of my friends or something.”

 

“Can you shut up? I’m perfectly happy being single. I don’t have to worry about my appearance all the time and I don’t have to waste money on dates and stuff. Being single is great. And he’s not married.” Kyungsoo scowled as he took a swig of his drink.

 

“Wait wait, so how old is this guy? Where’s the baby mama? You’re leaving me hanging and I swear I’m gonna scream if you don’t tell me the rest of the story and you know I will,” Baekhyun threatened.

 

Before Kyungsoo could say anything, his phone vibrated in his pocket and he pulled it out to see a message from Jongin.

 

From Jongin:
hope you got home safely
sehun says he looks forward to seeing you next time
as am i

 

Kyungsoo bit back a smile as he typed his response.

 

To Jongin:
thank you, i got home safe and sound!
tell sehun that if he’s a good boy and does all his homework and listens to you, then i’ll come visit again one day
and i’m looking forward to seeing you again too

 

Unbeknownst to Kyungsoo, Baekhyun read everything over his shoulder and then screeched, “Oh my god, he’s so into you! You have to tell me everything. Now.”

 

Kyungsoo winced at the scream and scooched away from Baekhyun. “Okay, you did not have to scream. And there’s nothing to it. Remember that one day we were gonna hang out but then you canceled on me at the last minute like a piece of ?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Well I was already waiting at the park when this kid just comes up to me at the swings and asks me if I’m sad. Then he sits down on the swing next to me and starts talking about school and his dad and asks me about myself. I tell him a few stories about your and then this hot guy comes running towards us and then the kid runs towards him. Turns out he’s the dad and I didn’t want to be misunderstood as a creeper so I went to explain myself and he was so nice about it. Then the kid, Sehun, asks his dad if I can go with them to get ice cream. The rest is history, really.”

 

Baekhyun gasped so loudly and dramatically that Kyungsoo couldn’t help but roll his eyes. “Oh my god, this sounds like something straight out of a drama. Wait, so what happened tonight? You said you were with him.”

 

The shorter swirled the beer around in the can and shrugged. “I ran into him at the supermarket and then Sehun asked if I wanted to come over for dinner. The way he asked was just so cute and I couldn’t resist him so I said yes. He drove us back to his place—which is really nice, by the way— we cooked together, ate, he showed me around, and then you called.”

 

“That’s it? I know you’re hiding something else.”

 

Kyungsoo hesitated for a moment before mumbling, “We may have held hands and I may have hugged him before running off.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes looked like they were about to pop out of his head and he exclaimed, “What?! You made the first move?!”

 

“I didn’t make any move! The hand holding thing was him just helping me up and I just gave him a hug to thank him.”

 

“That was the first move, ! And why did you run off?”

 

Kyungsoo set his beer on the table, the condensation slowly dripping onto the veneered surface. “I don’t know. I just felt like things would get awkward if I stayed longer.”

 

Baekhyun groaned and threw his head back against the couch. “If anything, you made things awkward by running away! You should text him about it. Better yet, set up a date with him to explain yourself.”

 

“Well, I may or may not have done something similar to that…”

 

Baekhyun stared at the man and then chugged down the rest of his beer. “Okay, wow, I’m a bit too sober for this. You’re telling me that you, Do Kyungsoo, not only managed to make the first move but also set up another date? This calls for celebration. I’m gonna call Chanyeol over right now—“

 

“Oh my god, shut up.” Kyungsoo groaned as he leaned back against the couch. “If anything, I just set up a play date with his son.”

 

“Play date. It’s a play date with his son but a date with him.” Baekhyun smirked. “Wait, you still haven’t told me what he looked like!”

 

Flashes of Jongin ran through Kyungsoo’s mind and he couldn’t help but smile shyly to himself. He fiddled with the hem of his shirt and he said, “He’s probably the handsomest guy I’ve seen. He’s taller than me by quite a bit and the most distinct thing about him is probably his tan skin. It just makes him look so y. And his smile is so sweet and gentle and his hair is so nice and fluffy; it makes me wanna run my hand through it.”

 

The corner of Baekhyun’s lip tugged upwards and he sang, “You’re in love.

 

Kyungsoo’s cheeks grew rosy and he stuttered, “I am not, you little .”

 

Yes you are! I have never seen you talk so fondly about someone before so this obviously means this guy is special. What’s his name?”

 

“Kim Jongin.”

 

“Kim Jongin and Do Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun hummed as he tapped his chin. “Yep, I can totally see this happening. I bet you fifty bucks that he’s gonna ask you out one of these days. It was so obvious that he was into you from the text I saw.”

 

Kyungsoo gave him a skeptical look. “What are you talking about? He was just being nice and making sure I got back safe.”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and said, “Okay but did you not read that last part of his text? ‘As am I’? He so wants to see you again, whether his son is with him or not.”

 

“I doubt it…”

 

The elder sighed and shook his head. “Whatever you say. Just know that I’m right and he’s so gonna ask you out and you’re gonna owe me fifty.”

 

“Shut up,” Kyungsoo chuckled as he playfully shoved the man.

 

 

 

 

Jongin let out a breath as he leaned back against his chair and threw his head back, staring at the stark white ceiling of his office. It had been almost two weeks since he last saw Kyungsoo and for some reason, he yearned to see him again. They texted nearly every day but that was about it. He wanted to see the man in the flesh, to look him straight in his bright eyes, to smell his lavender detergent, to see his heart shaped smile. He longed for him and yet he didn’t know why.

 

“You okay there?”

 

Jongin snapped out of his daze and saw Minseok leaning against the doorway. He wearily smiled and straightened up. “I’m fine, just taking a breather from all the reports. What’s up?”

 

The elder shook his head and nodded towards him. “Nothing. I was just walking back from the break room when I saw you looking kind of tired. You sure everything’s okay?”

 

“Yeah, everything’s fine.”

 

Minseok looked at him skeptically and then shrugged. “Whatever you say. Hey, do you mind if I kidnap Sehun for the weekend? Yixing has been wanting to hangout with the little bugger for the longest but I kept on forgetting about it until he asked me how he was doing.”

 

Jongin stifled a chuckle. “Funny you mention Yixing because Sehun was just asking me recently if he could have a sleepover with him.”

 

“Great! So I take it that you’re okay with me taking your kid for the weekend?”

 

The younger snorted and he nodded. “I’m fine with that. I’ll let Sehun know when I pick him up.”

 

Minseok grinned and he waggled his eyebrows playfully. “Since that’s settled, I’ll leave you to do your thing. If anything, just text me or Jongdae.”

 

“Got it. Thanks, hyung.”

 

“No problem.”

 

“Oh wait, I want to ask you something. Do you mind closing the door?”

 

Minseok looked at him curiously as he softly shut the door and Jongin let out a groan as he felt his cheeks heat up. “I need you to promise me that you won’t tell anyone about this. Even Jongdae.”

 

This piqued the elder’s interest and he sat down across from the man. “You have my word. What’s going on?”

 

Jongin took in a deep breath and said, “So, I met someone.”

 

“What?!”

 

“It’s not serious or anything! That day I accidentally lost Sehun at the park, I actually found him at the swings talking with some guy. For a second I thought he kidnapped him but then he explained that he was already there when Sehun approached him first. And that’s really weird for Sehun because he always takes a while before warming up to others, even with Yixing.”

 

Minseok leaned forward, elbow resting on his knee, and the corner of his lip tugged into a smirk. “So you’re into the guy now?”

 

Jongin rubbed his face and sat back in his chair. “That’s the thing. I really like him and we’ve eaten together, with Sehun as well, and he’s sweet and everything but I’m not sure if I’m ready to put myself out there again. There’s also the whole age issue but I think I can overlook that.”

 

“Is he younger?” The elder asked.

 

“He’s twenty four.”

 

“Oh wow, that’s quite the difference.” Minseok looked at him in surprise. “And I understand how you feel since your last relationship ended on horrendously. But if you feel like he’s really worth it, then I say go for it.”

 

There was a look of distress on Jongin’s face and Minseok let out a breath. “Look, you have the weekend to yourself to think about it so don’t stress over it. Whatever happens, happens.”

 

“Yeah…Thanks, hyung.”

 

“My pleasure."

 

 

 

 

Since Sehun was away for the weekend in Minseok’s trusty hands (Jongdae was okay too but Jongin trusted the elder just a bit more), Jongin finally had some time to himself and what better way to spend it than to agonize over Kyungsoo?

 

There were times where he wanted to pick up his phone and ask the man where he was and if he was free. There were times where he just couldn’t stop picturing the man in his mind, swooning over his heart shaped smile and squishy cheeks. There were even times where he imagined what it would be like if he asked him out and started dating him.

 

All of the scenarios were starting to drive him crazy and he needed to take his mind off of it, to distract himself from getting his hopes up. He needed to do something productive so he finally started catching up on things he was behind on like a very belated spring cleaning, walking the dogs, getting a hair cut, and watching the latest season of Grey’s Anatomy.

 

Even after completing all of his tasks, Jongin still couldn’t shake Kyungsoo from his mind so he decided to hit the gym after skipping for a few weeks. He occasionally did a few simple exercises at home—which sometimes included using Sehun as weights but he disguised it as playing with him—but it wasn’t the same as using the equipment in the gym. Maybe constantly lifting things up and putting them back down would help with his dilemma. 

 

 

Feeling both refreshed and tired from working out, Jongin slipped out of the gym with his bag on his shoulders. He hadn’t thought of Kyungsoo once during his work out so it was like a small victory for him. He stretched his arms above his head with a little groan and he looked around. With it nearing seven, neon signs were starting to light up and the streets were slowly starting to grow packed with people out for dinner or to just hang out.

 

As he started heading to the parking lot behind the building, he noticed a familiar figure in the sea of people down the street and froze. Although he was dressed casually in all black, Kyungsoo still shone the brightest and after seeing him in the flesh and not in his mind, his heart started racing and all resolve to not think of the man just broke down.

 

“Kyungsoo!” He called out with a smile and he waved his hand in his direction.

 

Jongin watched the man look around, trying to find the person who called his name out. He finally locked eyes with Jongin and instead of waving back at him, he started to glare at him. The man faltered for a bit, even lowering his hand because he thought he got the wrong person.

 

The closer Kyungsoo got the Jongin, the more his face relaxed and there was soon a smile on his face. “Hyung!”

 

Jongin finally let out a breath of relief and waited as Kyungsoo weaved his way through the crowd of people. “Hey! For a second, I thought I had the wrong person when you started to glare at me.”

 

Rosy pink dusted Kyungsoo’s cheeks and he awkwardly laughed. “Sorry about that. I forgot my glasses at home and I hate wearing contacts so I’m practically blind right now. But wow, it’s been a while since I last saw you. How are you? How’s Sehun?"

 

There was a soft smile on Jongin’s face as he adjusted the strap of his bag. “I’ve been okay. And Sehun is the same, as usual. He’s actually at a friend’s for a sleepover.”

 

“That’s nice. Did you get a hair cut?”

 

Jongin ran a hand through his hair with a grin. With his hair getting a bit too long for his liking, he finally got a trim along with a stylish undercut. “Yeah, I actually got it cut yesterday. It was getting too long so it was the perfect time to do so. Why? Does it look weird?”

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t help but stare at the swell of Jongin’s biceps as he ruffled his hair. It didn’t help much that he was wearing a tank top that emphasized his lithe arms and lean torso along with slim fitting joggers that accentuated his long legs. He cleared his throat as he looked away, trying to fight the heat rushing to his cheeks. “It looks really nice. It makes you look a bit younger too.”

 

The elder burst into laughter and he brushed his bangs to the side. “Thank you. So what are you up to?”

 

“Not much. I was helping a friend out earlier and now I’m probably just going to grab some take out and head home. What about you?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

Hearing how Kyungsoo didn’t have any plans for the rest of the night, Jongin wondered if he should ask him out for dinner. Maybe even take it a step further and make it a date like he imagined earlier in the day. “I just finished working out and I was also going to head home to make some food but since I ran into you, do you want to grab something together?”

 

There was a look of surprise on Kyungsoo’s face and he shyly rubbed his nape. “Seems like every time we see each other, you’re always inviting me to eat.”

 

Well that’s because I don’t see you often and want to catch up with you. And I really enjoy your company too,” Jongin said as he softly gazed at the younger.

 

Kyungsoo bit back a smile and he looked up at him. “If you put it that way, then there’s no way I can turn you down.”

 

“Great,” Jongin smiled. “So it’s a date."

 

Kyungsoo froze when Jongin declared that their dinner was going to be a date and the man picked up on it. “Only if you want to, that is,” he quickly added, wary of his expressions.

 

“I do!” He suddenly shouted and his face grew red as he slapped a hand over his mouth. He cleared his throat and tugged at his dad hat. “I mean, I’m okay with it being a date.”

 

Jongin stuffed his hands into his sweats and he flashed a boyish smile. “Great! Um, I parked my car in the parking lot. We can come up with ideas on where to eat while walking back there, if you want.”

 

“That sounds perfect.”

 

 

 

The two ended up in a retro fifties themed diner near the park where they first met and the owner just happened to be Jongin’s friend.

 

“Jongin!” A man around Kyungsoo’s height rounded the counter with a bright smile. He reached out and pulled the taller in for a quick hug. “Wow, it’s been a while since you last visited. What brings you here today?”

 

Jongin had a guilty look on his face as he rubbed his nape. “Yeah, sorry about that, Junmyeon. I’ve just been really busy lately and Sehun just got over a cold so I wanted him to get better before going out to eat. But um, I’m actually here on a date today.”

 

Junmyeon’s eyebrow quirked up and Kyungsoo poked his head out from behind Jongin, a shy smile on his face. “Hello, I’m Do Kyungsoo.”

 

The elder grinned. “Nice to meet you. I’m Kim Junmyeon.” He then looked back at Jongin and said, “Well, I don’t to keep you two waiting so let me grab you a table.”

 

The owner led them to a small booth near the back that was right by the window. He set two menus down on the table and gave Jongin a wink before heading back to the front.

 

“Ugh, he’s like an embarrassing mom sometimes,” Jongin groaned as he hid his face with the menu.

 

Kyungsoo softly chuckled and nudged the bill of his cap up a bit. “I think it’s cute. My friends are just downright five year olds so I have to be the mom friend.”

 

A young waitress then came by their table with a smile and asked them what they would like to eat. The two quickly scanned the menu and placed their orders for dinner. As they ate, they talked about random things like work, Sehun, any hobbies they had, etc. The more they talked, the more Jongin fell in love with the young music teacher. He could just listen to the man talk for hours and not get bored.

 

Right before asking for the bill, the same young waitress from earlier came by and set a piece of the diner’s famous coconut cream pie on the table. Jongin and Kyungsoo looked at her in surprise. “We didn’t order this,” Jongin said as he pointed to the dessert.

 

She gave them a small grin and said, “It’s on the house.” She then gestured to the counter and the two leaned their heads out to see Junmyeon giving them a teasing smirk from the front. Kyungsoo’s cheeks flushed and Jongin let out an awkward cough.

 

 

 

 

“I feel bad that you paid for dinner.” Kyungsoo frowned as they stepped out of the diner. “You paid for the ice cream last time as well.”

 

Jongin waved goodbye to Junmyeon through the door and then turned to face the younger. “Don’t be. I was the one who asked you to dinner so I should pay. And you paid me back for the ice cream last time when you helped me cook dinner so we’re even.”

 

Kyungsoo still had a slight frown on his face and Jongin chuckled. “If it bothers you that much, then you can pay next time.”

 

The music teacher looked at him in surprise. “Next time?”

 

“O-Only if you want to! I mean, I had a great time tonight so I thought maybe you would want to go for another date…” Jongin trailed off, a sheepish look on his face.

 

Kyungsoo tugged his cap down to hide his flushed face but Jongin caught the tips of his ears turning red. Cute.

 

The two stood in front of the diner awkwardly, unsure if they should part ways. Jongin pressed his lips together as Kyungsoo looked at him with a slightly expectant glint in his eyes. “Um,” he started. The elder’s eyebrows shot up and he continued, “If you don’t have any plans after this, do you want to hang out at my place?”

 

Jongin blankly stared at him, the cogs in his brains turning as they tried to process what just happened. Kyungsoo fidgeted nervously as the man looked at him and he then sheepishly laughed, “You know what? Just ignore I said that.”

 

“I would love to,” Jongin then said, snapping out of his daze just in time to catch Kyungsoo’s surprised look. He adjusted his duffle bag and gave him a small grin. “I don’t have anything to do for the rest of the evening since Sehun is at a friend’s house so I would love to hang out at your place.”

 

The corners of Kyungsoo’s lips slowly curled upward and he bit down on his lip to prevent his smile from getting any bigger. “Great. Um, I forgot where you parked your car.”

 

Jongin let out a breathy chuckle and he nodded down the street. “It’s down this way.”

 

 

 

The whole ride to Kyungsoo’s apartment was quiet and awkward, the tension thick in the air. Jongin’s heart was pounding against his chest and he was scared that the man could hear it. Kyungsoo’s mouth grew dryer and his hands grew sweatier the closer they got to his apartment. He was the one who suggested that they continue their date at his place and now that it was actually happening, he was starting to grow restless.

 

Oh my god, did I even clean yesterday? What if my laundry’s still out on the veranda? Wait, did I do the dishes from lunch? Oh my god, he’s gonna think I’m a slob, Kyungsoo internally agonized, wringing his hands anxiously in his lap.

 

Jongin noticed how Kyungsoo subtly squirmed in his seat and had an uneasy look on his face. “Hey,” he called out softly, “you okay?”

 

Kyungsoo flinched and he forced a smile on his face. “Yeah, I’m fine. It’s just—I’m worried that my place might be dirty or something.”

 

“Don’t worry, it’s not like my house wasn’t a mess when you came over last time,” Jongin laughed softly as he pulled up to the apartment building that Kyungsoo pointed at.

 

After parking the car and alighting the vehicle, Jongin quietly trailed behind Kyungsoo as the younger guided him up to the fourth floor. The elevator ride up was just an uneventful as the car ride and possibly even more awkward than before. They stood right outside the man’s apartment and Kyungsoo lamely said with weak jazz hands, “Well, here we are. At my apartment.”

 

“How exciting,” Jongin grinned, throwing up the same jazz hands Kyungsoo just did.

 

The music teacher let out a little giggle and then unlocked his door. He slowly pushed it open, the automatic light turning on to illuminate the entryway in a warm white light. The two stepped in and toed off their shoes, trading them for slippers (although Kyungsoo had to rummage through his closet to find a spare pair for Jongin).

 

Once Kyungsoo flicked on the light, Jongin finally got a proper view of the man’s apartment and it was just as he expected. The interior was very minimal and simple but it felt very homey, very Kyungsoo. Furniture was sparse but just enough for the man since he lived by himself. There were even a few hints of green from the succulents that he received from his mom (“To spruce things up.”).

 

“I didn’t know you play the piano and guitar,” Jongin said out of nowhere, pointing to said instruments that were by the window.

 

Kyungsoo took off his hat and ruffled his hair with a small grin. “Well, I am a music teacher. My recorder is probably somewhere in my room but I also can play a bit of violin as well.”

 

Jongin started to walk around carefully, taking in the clean space and looking at some pictures that hung above the TV. He internally cooed at a particular baby picture that caught his eye. Kyungsoo seemed to be about three years old, his cheeks adorably chubby and squishy, and he had a bright smile on his face as what appeared to be frosting was smeared on his nose.

 

“You were so cute as a kid. Reminds me of when I first brought Sehun back home,” Jongin smiled, a look of nostalgia in his eyes. 

 

“Thanks.” Kyungsoo’s cheeks flushed. “Um, there isn’t really much to do at my apartment but do you want to watch some TV and talk?”

 

“That sounds lovely.”

 

 

 

“Would you like anything to drink? Coffee? Water? Beer?” Kyungsoo asked as he stepped out of his bedroom after changing into something more comfy.

 

Jongin turned away from the baby pictures above the TV and gave the younger a small smile. “You know, a beer sounds nice. It’s been a while since I last drank.”

 

Kyungsoo let out a breathy chuckle as he pulled out two ice cold beers from the fridge. He made his way back to the living room and set the drinks on the coffee table, the condensation slowly dripping down the sides and settling around the base of the can. As he settled on the couch and grabbed the remote, Jongin shuffled over and settled right next to him on the plush couch. He was so close to the younger that their arms and thighs were practically touching and he could feel the heat radiate from him.

 

A comfortable silence enveloped the two as Kyungsoo flipped through the channels and Jongin took small sips of his beer. The music teacher soon settled on a movie that looked promising and after taking a gulp of his beer, he leaned back against the couch. 

 

Jongin had to admit that the movie was interesting but he was much more interested in the man sitting next to him. He stole fleeting glances from time to time, each time choosing to focus on a certain facial feature. At first it was his thick eyebrows, then it was his bright chocolate eyes, then his cute nose, then his pink plush lips that he wanted to kiss so badly. He even noticed a few moles that was littered across the milky expanse of his neck. When his eyes started to travel down, he realized that the music teacher was quite fit, his biceps and forearms toned, and he could make out the outline of firm pecs through his thin cotton shirt. The things Jongin would give to be able to see them for himself.

 

During the movie, Kyungsoo would sometimes squirm around to find a comfortable position to sit in, sometimes brushing his arm or knee against Jongin’s and his heart would just skip a beat. He became hyperaware of the little distance between the two of them and tried to play it cool by blankly staring at the television but he was a flustered mess on the inside.

 

The movie was reaching its and the two men were fixated on the scene that was unfolding before them. The male lead grabbed the female’s wrist and whirled her around. There was an intense look in his eyes as he softly cupped her face and whispered, “I love you. I love you so much that not a day goes by where I don’t think about you.”

 

There are tears in the female lead’s eyes and she choked back a sob. “You idiot, do you know how long I’ve waiting to hear you say that?” 

 

The male chuckled and said, “Well, now you’ll get to hear it every day.” He then leaned in, connecting his lips to hers.

 

Jongin gulped and he slowly turned his head to see what kind of expression was on Kyungsoo’s face, only to find the younger shyly peering up at him. He found himself getting lost in his warm coffee eyes and his gaze lowered to his pouty lips. The kiss scene came back to mind and he wondered what it would feel like to kiss those sinful lips. 

 

Suddenly, Jongin slowly raised his hand and gently pressed it against Kyungsoo’s soft cheek. He could see the man’s eyes widen a bit and hear his breath hitch. He took in a deep breath before closing his eyes and leaning forward, kissing the man lightly. 

 

Kyungsoo stiffened the moment he felt Jongin’s lips against his because oh my god Jongin hyung is kissing me. The kiss barely lasted for a few seconds before Jongin pulled away, his eyes still slightly hooded and his cheeks a subtle pink. The look ignited something within Kyungsoo and he pulled the elder back in for another kiss.

 

Jongin was taken aback by the sudden change in Kyungsoo but all he could think about was the younger’s lips and how plush they felt.

 

Quiet whimpers escaped Kyungsoo as Jongin on his bottom lip, his teeth tugging at it as he pulled back. The younger drew him back in, his hands making their way around his shoulders and shifting his position so that he straddled the man’s lap. He relished the little sound of surprise Jongin let out when he settled on his thighs.

 

Their breaths mixed as Jongin at Kyungsoo’s lips, the younger parting them easily. He could taste the beer on his tongue and he felt like he was getting drunk off of the taste.

 

Kyungsoo reluctantly pulled away to gasp for air, his lungs on fire. As his chest heaved up and down, Jongin continued to pepper kisses on his cheeks, even going down to his neck. An embarrassing moan slipped from his mouth and his hold around the man’s shoulders grew tighter as he on a particularly sensitive spot.

 

When he felt warm fingers begin to tug at the hem of his shirt, he immediately withdrew from Jongin’s lips. The man looked at him in surprise and Kyungsoo couldn’t help but just stare at the sight before him. Jongin’s face was all flushed and his lips were swollen, eyes wide with an obvious look of confusion. 

 

“I-It’s getting late,” Kyungsoo lamely said after racking his brain for an excuse. He’d much rather continue making out with the elder but he didn’t want it to lead to a drunken one night stand. He would want their first time to be special. That is, if there was anything between them.

 

Jongin blinked as Kyungsoo got up from his lap, slightly stumbling from numb legs. His hair was mussed up, cheeks pink, and his lips glistened from the many times Jongin on them. The sight was just priceless.

 

After registering what the music teacher had just said, Jongin straightened up on the couch and ruffled his hair. “Is that so? Um, I guess I should get going.”

 

“No!” Kyungsoo blurted.

 

Jongin’s eyebrows darted up and the younger stuttered, “I-I mean, since it’s late, why don’t you just stay over? Driving at night can be dangerous, you know…”

 

“I don’t want to trouble you or anything.”

 

“It’s fine. You can borrow some of my brother’s clothes since I’m sure mine would be a little small on you. And I have a spare toothbrushes and towels that I keep in stock in case my friends sleep over.”

 

Jongin let out a defeated laugh and he smiled. “In that case, thank you for having me over.”

 

 

 

Jongin fell back onto the bed with a sigh. He had just finished taking a shower and was now getting ready to sleep but the million thoughts that ran through his mind kept him up. Too many things happened at once and he still hadn’t even managed to process half of them.

 

Six hours ago, Jongin had just finished working out and bumped into Kyungsoo. Five hours ago, they were having a date in Junmyeon’s diner. Four hours ago, Kyungsoo invited Jongin over to hang out. Then less than two hours ago, Jongin just had the best makeout session of his life. And now here he was, in Kyungsoo’s guest room, wearing his older brother’s clothing, staring at the egg white ceiling and smelling like Kyungsoo’s body wash.

 

He tried to fall asleep, constantly tossing and turning, but there was just too much Kyungsoo around. Granted he was in the man’s apartment but it was like a Kyungsoo overload. His scent was everywhere and it was slowly driving him crazy. He even learned that the man liked to use fruity scented body wash, that he used the same razor as he did, and that his detergent really was lavender scented.

 

With an exasperated huff, Jongin shut his eyes and willed himself to sleep.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo’s heart drummed loudly in his ears knowing that Jongin was sleeping in the room next to his. His sheets rustled as he tossed and turned, a pillow held close to his chest. It was his idea to invite the man over because he didn’t want their date to end so quickly but he didn’t think they would kiss, nonetheless makeout. 

 

He let out a sigh and closed his eyes, wishing that slumber would fall upon him soon.

 

 

 

The sunlight filtered through the thin cotton curtains, the golden rays lighting up the guest room. Jongin somehow managed to fall asleep after bouts of tossing and turning, soft snores filling the room. When he heard some loud clanking outside followed by a hushed curse, he jolted awake. 

 

The man slowly sat up as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He let out a yawn and stretched his back, letting out a groan when he felt his back pop. He hunched over as he ran a hand through the bird nest that his hair was and he looked around. It took him a few moments to remember that he slept over in Kyungsoo’s apartment and suddenly he was wide awake.

 

Jongin got out of bed and slowly crept towards the door. He opened it as quietly as he could and he poked a head out. He couldn’t see anyone in the living room but he could hear some humming and smell something good from the kitchen. If he could, he would hole himself up in his room for the entire day but unfortunately, nature was calling, and that meant that he had to run into Kyungsoo one way or another.

 

Jongin slipped out of his room silently and managed to make it to the bathroom without being caught. After relieving himself and washing up, he opened the door only to see Kyungsoo emerge from the guest bedroom. He jumped in surprise and placed a hand over his speeding heart. “Oh my god, you scared me.”

 

There was a meek look on Kyungsoo’s face and he nudged his glasses higher up the bridge of his nose. “Sorry. I was just going to wake you up for breakfast but I guess I don’t have to anymore.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

An awkward pause settled between the two before Kyungsoo cleared his throat. “Um, so breakfast is ready. I just made some pancakes, nothing special.”

 

Jongin gave him a small smile. “That sounds great."

 

 

 

 

Breakfast was as awkward as it could get with the only sounds coming from the clinking of cutlery against dishware. Both men kept on stealing glances at each other, wondering if they should bring up the elephant in the room or just ignore it and perpetually sabotage their relationship.

 

Jongin set his fork and knife down on the table and reached for his cup of coffee. He could feel Kyungsoo staring at him and he decided that it was time they talk.

 

“Can we—do you wanna talk about last night?” He carefully asked, wrapping his hands around the warm mug.

 

Kyungsoo accidentally knocked over his orange juice and he jumped up as the liquid started to pour over the edge of the table and drip onto his shirt. “Oh ,” he cursed as he grabbed some tissues.

 

Jongin got up and placed some tissues over the spill as Kyungsoo frantically wiped at his shirt. The younger’s face was a bright red and he ran to the kitchen for some paper towels. He brought the whole roll out and started to wipe away his mess while trying to hide his face.

 

“Oh my god, I’m such an idiot,” Kyungsoo mumbled under his breath, his cheeks on fire.

 

The two wordlessly cleaned the mess and Kyungsoo sheepishly told Jongin that he was going to change shirts. Jongin sat the table as he waited, fingers softly drumming against the wood surface. It was only when the younger emerged from his room that he could finally feel the gravity of last night’s events.

 

He didn’t think he would jump the gun so soon. He just wanted to take the man out for a date to get to know more about him and to just hang out. But he found himself getting caught up in the movie that was playing last night and soon Kyungsoo was on his lap, letting out soft moans as he dragged his teeth across his plush bottom lip. It was unprecedented but not unwanted. If anything, he wanted to take things a bit further but that was where things just ended abruptly.

 

Kyungsoo sat back down across from Jongin, now sporting a clean shirt and equally pink cheeks. He nudged his glasses up and bit his lip nervously. “You wanted to talk about last night?”

 

Jongin let out a breath and leaned forward, resting his forearms on the table and hunching over a bit, making him seem small. It almost hurt Kyungsoo to see him like that.

 

“Last night,” the man started, “when we kissed, did you mean it? Because I did.”

 

If Kyungsoo was shocked, he did a good job of hiding it because Jongin couldn’t tell what he was thinking. But that was what worried him. What if he didn’t feel the same way? What if he royally screwed up his chances with him before anything even happened? A million thoughts ran through Jongin’s mind and he felt like he was going to implode.

 

The music teacher let out a breath that he didn’t even know he was holding. He scratched the back of his head and said, “Wow, I don’t even know where to start from."

 

Jongin felt his heart pounding from anticipation, dying to hear what Kyungsoo had to say. There was a part of him that was prepared to be shot down but the other part desperately wished that he would be given a chance.

 

“You have all the time in the world to gather your thoughts. Well, actually until five because I have to go pick up Sehun.” Jongin said.

 

Kyungsoo chortled and he leaned forward, elbows on the table and his head in his hands. “God, there’s just so much I want to say. I mean, last night was amazing. Not just the kiss, but also the date. It’s actually been a while since I was last out for a date so I was really nervous the whole night because I was worried I might make some stupid mistake.”

 

Jongin gave him a small smile. “Believe it or not, but it’s been about three years since I last went out on a date so you weren’t the only one who was nervous last night.”

 

Kyungsoo looked at him, eyes wide and shock apparent. “Really? Why?”

 

“Well, ever since Sehun came into my life, everything’s just been revolving around him and I haven’t had that much time to myself. Also, my last relationship ended really badly and frankly, it made me scared about getting back out there again.” Jongin explained himself with a one-shoulder shrug.

 

There was a look of sympathy on Kyungsoo’s face and he sighed. “I know how you feel. My last relationship ended terribly too. I caught him cheating on me several times and each time, he begged for me to stay, saying that it was just a drunken mistake and that he’ll never do it again. God, I was so stupid for believing him.”

 

“Men are the worst,” Jongin deadpanned.

 

Kyungsoo burst out into laughter, “They really are. But you’re an exception, hyung.”

 

“Thank you. Hey, Kyungsoo?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

There was a serious air around Jongin and Kyungsoo tensed up a bit. He watched the elder’s eyebrows scrunch up, a telltale sign of deep thought. He had an inkling about what he was thinking about but he stayed silent, waiting for the man to wrap up his thoughts.

 

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin started, looking the music teacher in the eye. The younger felt his heart skip a beat from the intensity of his gaze. “I like you. A lot. Ever since that day in the park when I found you talking to Sehun and when you introduced yourself to me, I couldn’t stop thinking about you. Partially because I still had doubts that you lured Sehun towards you with candy but seeing how he attached himself to you immediately proved me wrong.”

 

Kyungsoo bit back a smile and Jongin continued. “That day we ran into each other at the supermarket, you have no idea how nervous I was. I thought Sehun was just kidding when he screamed your name but there you were and I swear my heart stopped for a second. Then you came over for dinner and you helped me cook and I was just sold. Then we didn’t see each other for a couple of weeks and it hit me kind of hard. We texted and everything but it just wasn’t the same as seeing you. 

 

"I missed your smile, I missed your laugh, I missed your calm voice, I missed everything about you. I thought about you nonstop and it got kind of bad to the point where I zoned out during work. I tried everything to get you out of my head. I cleaned the house, I walked the dogs, I cut my hair, I went to the gym, but there you were. And last night, I just couldn’t hold back any longer because I was going to lose it if I didn’t kiss you right then and there. So Kyungsoo, will you go out with this old man?”

 

Jongin felt his heart drop when Kyungsoo lowered his head but then he caught the tips of his ears turning red and his flush starting to travel down to his neck and he had a feeling that it was a good sign.

 

After regaining some composure and biting back a giddy smile, Kyungsoo looked back up and said, “You’re too cheesy, I don’t know if I can live with that. But I like you; I like you a lot. So yes, I’ll go out with you.”

 

Jongin let out a breath of relief, shoulders visibly relaxing, and he reached across the table for Kyungsoo’s hand. “I promise I’ll make you happy.”

 

Kyungsoo intertwined his fingers with the elder’s and he grinned. “I’m going to hold you to that promise.”

 

Suddenly, a frown appeared on Jongin’s face and his hold on Kyungsoo’s hand grew slack. Kyungsoo sat up in alarm and asked, “What? What’s wrong?”

 

The elder shook his head. “No, I just forgot about Sehun. Are you okay with Sehun? I mean, dating someone who’s eleven years older than you is tough as it is but dating someone with a kid? It’s a lot and I don’t want to force you into anything if you don’t want it.”

 

“Really?” Kyungsoo asked in disbelief. “You and Sehun are a package and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love kids and I sure love hanging out with him. He’s sweet and kind, just like his father.” He reassured the man with a firm squeeze and a smile.

 

This time Jongin’s face flushed and he squeezed back. “Sorry if that sounded like I doubted you or anything. It’s just kind of hard finding someone who not only likes you but also your kid.”

 

“Well, Sehun is a sweetheart. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

 

Jongin exhaled with a sheepish smile and he said, “I’m glad. Sorry if I scared you all of a sudden. I want us to be happy but I want Sehun to be happy as well.”

 

Kyungsoo’s lips tug upwards and he said, “He will.”

 

Jongin leaned forward and pressed his lips against the back of Kyungsoo’s hands. The younger giggled, shyly hiding his face, and he can just feel the love for him bursting in his heart.

 

 

 

Baekhyun huffed as he reached for his cup of coffee. “I can’t believe we’re the ones who have to wait when Soo was the one who invited us out,” he complained, a frown on his face.

 

Chanyeol patted his thigh and said, “Maybe there’s traffic. And it’s only been about ten minutes since the agreed meeting time. How many times have we been late to our own meetups?”

 

The shorter fell silent and then leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. “Well, only we’re allowed to be late! I’m too used to Kyungsoo being early or on time for him to be late.”

 

“You’re ridiculous.”

 

The door to the cafe opened and the couple perked up when they saw Kyungsoo walk in with a tall handsome man by his side, both sporting bright smiles as they talked to each other. When Kyungsoo saw his friends, he waved to them and pulled the tall man long with him, their fingers intertwined (something Baekhyun definitely noticed).

 

“Sorry we’re late, there was some traffic and it took forever to find parking,” Kyungsoo sheepishly said as he sat down at their table.

 

Chanyeol nudged Baekhyun and gave him a ‘I-told-you-so’ face but that flew over the man’s head. Instead, he was much more interested in the handsome man that was settling down across from him.

 

“So Soo,” Baekhyun started as he turned his head and batted his eyelashes, “who is this gentleman? I don’t think we’ve met before?”

 

Kyungsoo’s cheeks heated up and he looked at the man. “This is Jongin hyung, my boyfriend. Hyung, this is Baekhyun and his boyfriend Chanyeol. They’re both my best friends.”

 

Jongin straightened up and flashed them a warm smile. “Kim Jongin, nice to meet you. Wow, I can’t believe I’m finally meeting you two. Kyungsoo talks about you guys a lot so it’s nice to put a face to the name.”

 

The elder extended his hand and as Chanyeol reached out to shake it, Baekhyun downright screeched, “Kim Jongin?! Oh my god, Soo, is this the guy you were gushing about last time? What did I tell you? I knew you two were going to end up together. Where’s my fifty bucks?”

 

The other patrons in the cafe gave their table weird looks and Kyungsoo hissed, “Shut up, Baek! We’re in public.”

 

“That doesn’t matter! I can’t believe you didn’t tell me literally the second after you started going out. I’m disappointed, Do Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and he said, “Stop being so dramatic, will you? I waited until now because it was still new and I wanted everything to settle down first before anything else.”

 

Jongin held his hand out in front of Baekhyun and gave him a sorry smile as the younger shook his hand. “I’m sorry, it’s partially my fault. I asked if we could hold off on our introduction for a bit because I was busy with work and because my son was sick for a little bit.”

 

“You two aren’t going to order anything?” Chanyeol asked.

 

The couple looked at each other and Jongin gave the man a small smile. “I’ll get it. Green tea latte?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded and Jongin went to the counter to place their order. Baekhyun eyed the elder and then leaned forward to whisper, “Does he have a big ?”

 

“Baekhyun!”

 

“What! I’m genuinely curious. I read this article online that said that men with index fingers shorter than their ring fingers have big and Jongin’s index finger is slightly shorter. So, is he packing? Unless you guys haven’t done the dirty yet.”

 

The music teacher pinched his nose bridge and he mumbled, “You are unbelievable.”

 

Chanyeol took a sip of his coffee and shrugged. “I’m kind of curious too. Is the good?”

 

“Not you too,” Kyungsoo moaned with an incredulous look on his face.

 

Baekhyun kept scrutinizing Jongin, who waited patiently at the counter while tapping his fingers against his thighs. He nodded in approval and said, “Wow, he’s actually really hot. How old is this guy again?”

 

Thirty five.”

 

Chanyeol nearly spit out his coffee and Baekhyun’s eyes look like they’re about to fall out. “Are you serious?! He doesn’t look a day over twenty five! Damn Soo, you got game. I didn’t know you had it in you.”

 

“What does that mean?” Kyungsoo scowled.

 

Jongin then sat back down next to Kyungsoo, setting their tray down on the table. He placed the man’s green tea latte in front of him and then grabbed his own cup of coffee. “Did I miss anything?” He asked with a smile.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol sipped their drinks with knowing looks and Kyungsoo shook his head. “Nothing important.”

 

“Oh, you mentioned that you have a son earlier. How old is he?” Chanyeol asked with a polite grin.

 

Jongin’s face lit up and he fumbled for his phone. “He’s five,” he said as he unlocked his phone and went through his gallery. He picked a particularly cute picture of Sehun at his kindergarten graduation, a big toothy smile on his face and a paper crown perched on his head, and handed his phone over. “His name is Sehun and that’s him at his kindergarten graduation last week.”

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol huddled over his phone and let out coos. “Oh my god, he’s the cutest thing ever,” the taller of the two gushed, a wide and almost creepy smile on his face.

 

“He really is. Do you have any other pictures of him?” Baekhyun handed back the phone, eyes sparkling with interest.

 

As Kyungsoo watched the three look at pictures of Sehun and compliment the boy nonstop, he took a sip of his drink and sat back with a small smile. Jongin turned his head and quirked his eyebrow up. “You okay?”

 

“Never been better."

 

 

 

“Hyung, that tickles!”

 

Jongin continued to nuzzle his head into the crook of Kyungsoo’s neck as the younger washed the dishes from their breakfast.

 

“But you’re the perfect height for hugs.” The elder pouted.

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes with a smile and he patted the man’s head after drying his hands. “I didn’t think you were this big of a baby.”

 

Jongin tightened his hold around his boyfriend’s waist and he mumbled, “Sometimes I want someone to take care of me too.”

 

The music teacher chuckled and he turned around, his nose touching Jongin’s. He gave him a soft smile and pecked his lips. “Well, now you have me.”

 

A heartwarming smile broke out on Jongin’s face and he kissed the younger once more. “Yeah, I finally have you.”