someone call the doctor

Tis the Season for Love

kyungsoo's roommates decide to throw a halloween party behind his back and he just so happens to be feeling sick that night
watching grey's anatomy with my brother makes me feel like a doctor lol btw jongin barely drank anything so he wasn't drunk enough to not be able to practice
words: 3k
in case anyone wants to send in some prompts, you can do so here c:
warning: i wrote this over the span of a few days while studying for my chem test so forgive me if it's kinda crappy

 


After a long day of work and feeling like absolute crap, all Kyungsoo wanted was to slip into bed and sleep the night away. However, his roommates Jongdae and Yixing had other plans in store for the night.

“What the is going on in here?” Kyungsoo gaped as he walked into the shared apartment.

With the light dimmed down, he could vaguely make out the fake cobwebs that hung above the foyer, a skeleton with a bright pink boa around its neck standing in the corner by the couch, dozens of different Halloween decorations pasted on the walls, and bowls of snacks and candy set on the coffee table and kitchen island with cases of different alcohols by them.

“Halloween party!” Jongdae sang as he slid out of his room, hair parted down the middle, round wire frame glasses perched on his nose and donning the familiar garbs of the popular fictional character Harry Potter.

Yixing trailed behind him, wearing a sharp suit with the collar of a long black cape brushing against his jaw. “Sorry we didn’t tell you but we knew you wouldn’t agree to it so we just went ahead with it,” the elder apologized with a meek smile, exposing his fake fangs.

Kyungsoo let out a groan as he pushed the fake cobwebs off to the side and stepped into the living room. “Seriously guys? I can’t believe you went behind my back for this party.”

“Don’t worry, we didn’t invite that many people. Just close friends, that’s all,” Yixing quickly assured, grabbing the shorter man’s messenger bag from his hands.

“Lighten up, Soo, it’ll be fun! It’s Halloween so just throw on a random costume and enjoy the party!” Jongdae grinned as he tossed some popcorn into his mouth.

The younger sighed as he sluggishly shrugged off his jacket. “Normally I would give up around this point but honestly, I’m feeling really ty today. I couldn’t hold down my lunch earlier and I feel like I’m starting to run a fever. Plus, I’ve been having this stabbing pain in my side and I’m just so done with everything."

Yixing looked at him worriedly while Jongdae just waved it off. “I’m sure you’ll feel better at the end of the night. Now go get changed, the party’s starting soon.”

“Jongdae—“

“Go! I promise the party’ll make you feel better. If not, I’ll clean the apartment until the end of the year.”

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes and scowled. “You better keep that promise or I’m going to kick you out.”

“Yeah yeah, now go change!”

 

 

 

 

People soon started to file through the door, all dressed in costumes ranging from bottles of ketchup to famous celebrities. And although Jongdae was slightly disappointed when Kyungsoo appeared as a black cat with the ears and the whiskers, he took it nonetheless because he knew that’s all the man had lying around.

Kyungsoo leaned against the kitchen island, a warm mug of tea in his hands and a deep frown on his face. He glared at the man dressed as Harry Potter and growled through gritted teeth, “Just how many damn people did you invite?”

Jongdae looked at the large crowd that filled the living room and kitchen and blinked. They all bounced to the music that blasted in the apartment while taking a drink, talking to one another, or just eating snacks. “I really do not remember. I could’ve swore I invited a lot less but oh well. They’re all here so why not just enjoy the party?”

Yixing bounded over, pulling along a man who was dressed up as Colonel Sanders. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but crack a smile and the Chinese man happily introduced him. “Guys, this is Jinki. He was my old college roommate and he was the one who helped me get an internship with the photographer that I’m under now.”

The men all greeted him and Yixing quickly pulled him away to introduce him to other partygoers. Kyungsoo suddenly felt a wave of nausea hit and he put a hand over his mouth in case he really did throw up.

“Dude, are you okay?” Jongdae asked from the lip of the bottle of beer he was drinking from.

Kyungsoo took in a deep breath and fanned himself. “I’m fine. By the way, does it feel hot in here or is it just me?”

The elder cocked an eyebrow and looked at him weirdly. “I think it’s just you. Hey, I think I see a cute girl dressed as Hermoine over there so you’re on your own for the night, mate.”

“Harry ends up with Ginny anyways!” Kyungsoo frowned as his roommate went to hit on some girl.

He shook his head in disapproval and reached out for the pitcher of hot water off to the side when he accidentally brushed his hand against someone else’s. He jumped in shock and quickly grabbed the pitcher. “Sorry ‘bout that.”

“It’s okay,” the person smiled.

Kyungsoo looked up and he gasped at the person’s costume. Their hair was neatly parted, a pair of glasses sat on the bridge of his nose, he had on a bespoke suit and carried a rainmaker in his hand with oxfords, not brogues, completing it all. “Oh my god, you’re dressed as a Kingsman agent.”

The agent smiled and he stuck out a hand. “Jongin’s the name but feel free to call me Galahad. That’s my code name for the night.”

“I’m Kyungsoo.” He shook his hand and Jongin’s eyebrows scrunched up. 

“Are you okay? You feel really warm and look a bit pale.”

The cat man pulled his hand away and wrapped it around his mug. “It’s probably because of my tea. I really love your costume. Galahad’s my favorite character as well. So, who invited you?”

“Jongdae did. We got close when we were in tennis club together during high school,” Jongin explained, nudging his glasses up. “What about you?”

Kyungsoo chuckled as he took a sip of his tea. “I live here. I was actually the one who put out the ad looking for roommates so technically this is my apartment.”

“Oh. Well, this is a lovely apartment. Did you decorate it?”

“For the party? Hell no. They planned the whole thing without telling me. I really wanted them to cancel it since I’m feeling like crap but might as well just give them this one night.”

Jongin frowned as he opened up a beer. “That kinda . Then again, Jongdae’s always been like that so I’m not that surprised. If you’re not feeling well then why don’t you just rest?”

“I wish,” Kyungsoo sighed, rolling his eyes. “I’m a light sleeper so all of this music and laughing and talking will just keep me up. Besides, I might feel better as the night goes on so there might come a point where I’ll actually enjoy the party.”

Jongin laughed and he took a sip of his drink. “Well I hope you feel better. I’m gonna go back to my friends over there so see you around?”

“Yeah,” the shorter man grinned.

Unfortunately, Kyungsoo did not feel better as the night progressed. In fact, he felt even worse than he began. Earlier, he felt his insides churn and had to run to the bathroom to empty them. He stumbled out a few minutes later, cat ears headband crooked and painted whiskers smudged as he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

He leaned against the wall, his head pounding and sweat dripping down his temple. He took in a deep breath and shakily exhaled. He shook his hair out and decided to find Jongdae or Yixing to tell them that he was going to head to bed for the night.

He pushed his way through the crowd, mumbling apologies under his breath as he weaved through all the people. He found Jongdae on the couch chatting up the girl dressed as Hermoine and sighed knowing fully well that once the man started flirting, he would not stop until he ended up with her number or unless she said she was in a relationship. He decided to find Yixing but he was too engrossed in his conversation with old college buddies and coworkers so he was a no-go as well.

Kyungsoo felt a wave of dizziness and he tripped on his feet, grabbing the person closest to him for balance. A blonde man with large eyes and long eyelashes dressed in green scrubs turned around and asked, “You okay, man? Did you have too much to drink?”

“Doctor—you’re a doctor, right?” Kyungsoo muttered, feeling his strength deplete with each passing second.

“Uh, I’m just dressed as a doctor. Hey, you’re Kyungsoo, right? I’m Luhan, Yixing’s friend. Do you guys have any more—“

Before Luhan could finish his sentence, Kyungsoo’s grip slackened and he collapsed to the floor with a dull thud. Everyone stopped what they were doing and Jongdae and Yixing quickly went to find the source of the sound.

“Kyungsoo! Oh my god, are you okay?!” Jongdae screamed as he bent down to inspect the younger.

“Is anyone a doctor?” Yixing cried out.

“Everyone move, give him some space,” Jongin shouted as he pushed through the crowd. He knelt down to the floor and pressed a hand against Kyungsoo’s forehead. “He’s burning up,” he muttered.

The Kingsman agent took his pulse and cursed under his breath. “Someone call for an ambulance! Jongdae, did Kyungsoo say anything about his condition today?”

Jongdae looked at him in shock. “You know Kyungsoo?”

“Jongdae!”

“Right, sorry! Um, he did say he was feeling really crappy. He said he threw up his lunch and felt that he was getting a fever. He kept on mentioning how it felt really hot in here but I didn’t think it was anything big!”

Jongin sharply exhaled as he looked around the room. He saw a pair of stethoscopes around Luhan’s neck and he pointed to him. “Hey, are those real or are they a prop?”

Luhan blinked and he quickly handed them over. “They’re real. I borrowed them from my dad.”

“Thanks,” Jongin said as he grabbed them and started to listen to Kyungsoo’s breathing.

Yixing gasped as he remembered something. “Hey, didn’t Kyungsoo say that his side was hurting? Like a stabbing feeling?”

Jongin’s head whirled around with wide eyes. “What? Why didn’t you say that earlier?! Which side was it?”

“I don’t know!”

“The ambulance is here!” Someone shouted from the door.

EMTs rushed over to the collapsed boy and they start to pull equipment from their bag. Jongin fished through his pockets for his hospital ID and showed it to the workers before he tucked it back in. “I think he has appendicitis. Just let me check really quick.”

He started to press Kyungsoo’s left side but when there was no response, he moved to the right. He heard a groan and saw the man’s scrunch up in pain. He let out a breath when he confirmed his diagnosis and he looked at the EMTs. “I need an IV started stat. Head Seoul Hospital immediately, I’ll take of everything from there.”

The EMTs carefully lifted Kyungsoo on to the gurney and Jongdae’s hand shot out to grab Jongin. “Is he going to be okay?” He asked.

The younger nodded. “He should be okay. I’m pretty sure he has appendicitis but I’m going to make sure with some scans and once that’s confirmed, we’ll get him into surgery. Don’t worry, sometimes people just think of it as a fever so don’t beat yourself over not being able to catch it. It’s what I’m here for.”

Jongdae let go and Jongin straightened out his suit. “Alright, let’s get going. I’ll see you guys later.”

The ambulance sped to the hospital and Jongin barked out orders as nurses quickly flocked around Kyungsoo. “I’m gonna need a CT, ultrasound and an abdominal x-ray now. Also, someone page Dr. Jung.”

“Jongin.”

The man turned his head and saw Kyungsoo weakly lifting his hand. He grabbed it and listened to the soft murmurs of the patient. “Am I going to die?”

Jongin softly smiled and shook his head. “No, you’re not. I’m going to make you all better in no time, okay? So just sit back and let me take care of everything.”

Kyungsoo nodded and his eyes fluttered close.

 

 

 

 

“Do you think he’s awake?”

“Of course he’s not! Look at him, still sleeping like the dead.”

“Shut up, you’re being too loud!”

“Hey!”

Kyungsoo let out a groan and his eyes slowly fluttered open. He stared at the stark white ceiling and with a deep breath, took in the smell of disinfectant. His eyebrows creased together at the foreign environment and his head lolled to the side. He saw Jongdae and Yixing bickering over something and he stared at them through bleary eyes.

Jongdae turned his head and when he saw that he man was awake, he cried out, “Kyungsoo, you’re alive!”

The two roommates flocked around his cot and Yixing grabbed his hand. “We’re so sorry about last night. We should’ve listened to you and canceled the party so that you could rest,” he profusely apologized, sniffling as his eyes watered.

“Who’re you? Where’m I?” His speech was slurred from the anesthetics.

Jongdae and Yixing looked at each other in shock and right at that moment, Jongin walked into the room. The doctor has traded in his snazzy bespoke suit and accessories for his wrinkled green scrubs and white doctor’s coat.

“Jongin, Kyungsoo doesn’t remember us!” Jongdae wailed as he clung to the younger man.

Jongin smiled tightly as he peeled the man off of him. “Sometimes that happens when patients wake up after surgery. Don’t worry, I brought him some crackers to help sober him up. Kyungsoo, how are you feeling?”

Kyungso’s head lolled to the side and a lazy grin spread on his face. “Hey, you’re the hot version of Galahad,” he mumbled as he lifted a finger to point to him.

His roommates look at each other in confusion while Jongin burst out laughing. “Yes, yes I am. Okay Kyungsoo, I need you to listen to me very carefully. You see these saltines?”

“Yeah.”

“I want you to eat them. Take as much time as you need but just eat them. Okay?”

Kyungsoo reached out for the packet of crackers but his hand fell short so he batted at thin air instead. “Fuuuccckk, my hands are too short.”

Jongdae snickered and Yixing elbowed him the side with a scowl. Jongin chuckled as he handed over the snack to him. His pager then went off and he softly cursed under his breath. “I have to go check on another patient so just make sure Kyungsoo eats the crackers. When he’s fully awake, tell the nurses to page me and I’ll come back,” he said as he backed out of the door.

Jongdae and Yixing looked at each other and all of a sudden, Jongdae put a finger on the tip of his nose and shouted, “Not it!”

“What—really? Jongdae, you’re such a little piece of !” Yixing shouted as the man ran out of the room.

A nurse poked her head into the room and frowned. “Excuse me, you need to keep quiet. In case you forgot, this is a hospital.”

The Chinese man apologized and the nurse gave him the stink eye before going to tend to a patient in the room across the hall. He let out a sigh and took a seat on the stool by Kyungsoo’s cot. He watched the man lazily toss crackers into his mouth and he slapped a hand over his face. “You so owe me for this, Jongdae,” he muttered.

 

 

 

An hour later, Jongdae strolled down the hallways of the hospital, hands tucked in his pockets while whistling a tune. He made a right turn and was about to enter Kyungsoo’s room when Yixing pulled him off to the side. He let out a little yelp and hissed, “What the , Yixing?”

“Shut up and just watch,” the elder shushed.

They poked their heads into the room and saw Jongin sitting on the edge of Kyungsoo’s cot. The shorter man’s cheeks had flared up as he listened to the doctor give him a recap of what happened last night. He hid his face in his hands and mumbled something while shaking his head. Jongin then pulled his hands away and whispered something. The patient was taken aback for a moment before he shyly nodded. He was handed a small piece of paper and then Jongin jumped off the cot.

Jongdae and Yixing stared at him as he exited the room. They stopped the doctor and asked, “What the hell just happened in there?”

Jongin blinked and turned around to look at Kyungsoo. The man shyly smiled at him and waved. A smile spread on his face and he turned back to his roommates. “Nothing really. Just wanted to show how Galahad still has it.”

They looked at him in confusion and Jongin gave them both a pat on the shoulder. “Don’t worry about it. Oh, you guys can go in now if you want to. I have to check up on other patients so it’s your turn to tend to his needs.”

The doctor nodded at them and then disappeared down the hallway. The two men barreled into the room and bombarded Kyungsoo with questions.

“Guys, please, you’re giving me a headache,” Kyungsoo complained as he covered his ears with his hands.

“Kyungsoo’s right, we should probably let him rest,” Yixing said, tugging Jongdae back.

“But he’s keeping a secret from us! Didn’t we promise to never keep secrets from one another?”

Kyungsoo looked at him incredulously. “Are you ing kidding me? You were the one who hid the Halloween party from me! So much for not keeping secrets from one another.”

“…Touché. But come on, you gotta at least give us a hint. Who’s Galahad and what does he have to do with anything?”

At that moment, Kyungsoo was glad Jongdae hadn’t tagged along to the Kingsman's premiere with him a couple years back. He smirked to himself and shrugged. “It’s none of your business. Just wanted to let you know that you guys won't need to be here when I get discharged..”

Yixing and Jongdae looked at each other and realization dawned on the two. Before they could say anything, Kyungsoo jabbed an angry finger at Jongdae’s chest. “And you. You get to clean the apartment until the end of the year.”

Jongdae’s shoulders slumped and he dejectedly muttered, “Fine.”

“Come on Jongdae, it’s starting to get late. We’ll be back to see you tomorrow, okay?” Yixing smiled as he gently pulled Jongdae’s arm.

“Yeah, we’ll see you tomorrow! Get better! Oh, and we’ll bring you your stuff too!” The younger shouted as he was dragged out of the room.

Kyungsoo snorted and when his roommates were out of his sight, he pulled out the little slip of paper from earlier from underneath his blanket and smiled to himself. At least there was one good thing that came out of being in the hospital.