Chapter 18

This wasn't planned
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taeyong suddenly grabbed his father by the arm. “This discussion isn’t over yet !”

His father turned around and glared at him. “Yes it is.”

Taeyong let go of his arm. His head hurt. He had a weight in the chest that wouldn’t leave him alone. He was so angry that his hands were shaking hard.

“I’m not going.”

His father’s eyes widened in surprise. “Excuse me ?!”

“I don’t care, I’m not going to your other college. I’m staying here.”

His father looked even more angry than before.

“I was 17 when you left.” Taeyong went on. “I don’t know if you realize it but I’m 20 now. I’m not a child anymore… and I can make my own choices.”

“What if you make the wrong choices ? I can’t leave you like that !” His father snapped.

“You can’t force me either Dad ! That’s not what normal people do !” He cried out. “That’s not how it works in a family !”

“Your actions have consequences Taeyong, and if it affects this family, I can’t let it slide !”

“Affect in which aspect ? It’s my life ! I haven’t killed anyone as far as I know !”

His father huffed but didn’t answer back. Which was already better than before. Maybe he would finally listen to what his son had to say.

“You know what ?!” Taeyong sighed loudly. “I’m sorry I’m not the son you wanted ! I’m sorry you feel so ashamed of me !”

His father looked him in the eye, but he seemed a little less angry.

“But it won’t change anything because I’m not leaving Ten anytime soon.” He added.

His father’s lips were trembling, betraying how moved he really was behind all this anger. “You… My son can’t be… gay.” His voice sounded lower than usual.

“Dad… This is who I am.” Taeyong rubbed his father’s arm softly, surprising himself in the process. “Don’t reject me.” He said, almost in a whisper.

His father stared at him with shock in his eyes and quickly left without saying anything else.

Taeyong was so dumbfounded he didn’t move for several minutes. It was in this kind of moments that he needed Ten more than anyone else. But Ten was on holidays abroad with his parents and wouldn’t be back before next weekend…

 

He eventually went back to his room. He lied on his bed and put his earphones on to listen to music. Would his father hear him out ? Was what he had said enough to make him somewhat change his mind ? And what if he didn’t change his mind and forced him anyway ? Then what would he tell Ten if it was to happen ? Ten would surely cry… No, he couldn’t take that view. He wouldn’t leave. But what if his father kicked him out of the house ?

He was really upset about this situation to say the least but at the same time, he felt so exhausted he was starting dozing off. He closed his eyes.

When Seunghee suddenly barged in his room and shook him in his bed.

“Taetae !”

She snatched his earphones away.

“Seunghee, it’s not the right time for that…” He sighed loudly.

“Don’t you hear what’s happening ?!”

 “What ..?” He said in a sleepy voice.

“Come on !” She dragged him out of bed and into the corridor.

They could hear voices… They were barely audible at first… but then…

He frowned. Was it someone yelling ..?

“Are the parents…?”

“Fighting ? Yes.” Seunghee interrupted him.

They couldn’t really comprehend what was said but both were pretty sure it was about Taeyong.

The only thing they understood was their mother screaming “NO YOU CAN’T” repeatedly.

“So… Dad wants to transfer you ..?” Seunghee said in a low voice.

Taeyong shrugged. “Yep… Because I’m gay and I’m a shame for this family.”

The mere fact of saying it made him feel bitter.

“I can’t believe he said that to you.” His sister frowned. “That’s the problem with Dad… He can be so stubborn and hurtful.”

“Don’t tell me about it…”

The door of their parent’s room opened suddenly and they heard their mother yelling at their father.

“I swear if our son leaves because of you, I won’t forgive you !”

Their father stormed out of the room.

“Where are you going ?!” Their mother shouted from behind.

He bumped into the two siblings who were standing in the middle of the corridor.

“Dad..?” Seunghee tried to call him but he ignored her and gave Taeyong a fixed look before running down the stairs.

Their mother rushed out of the room.

“YOU WON’T RESOLVE THIS BY RUNNING AWAY, HONEY !” She sounded really angry.

Their father grabbed his car keys and slammed the door behind him. Once again, he had left. 

It was in those moments that Taeyong remembered how similar the two of them were: ‘control freaks who hated conflicts’ as his mother liked to describe them.

His mother sighed and turned around to look at her children.

“Come here Tae.” She said with open arms.

He came to her and she held him tight.

“I know he’s been hard on you… but give him some time, he’ll get used to it…”

Taeyong sighed in her embrace.

“I won’t leave him in the wrong. I w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter