Chapter 11

You Are Made For Me

“How could you know? You never have someone, anyway. You don’t know what love is, you’re still young.” Her dad asked.

 

“I’m still young, dad, I know, but I know how attraction feels like, I even know how fall in love with someone feels like.”

 

“Maybe it’s not love, Eun Bin. Maybe it’s just the phase....”

 

“No, it’s not!” Eun Bin said. “It’s not, dad. I really wished that it would be just a phase, that it would go away, but it didn’t.”

 

Her dad stared at her firmly. “I am so disappointed in you. I didn’t raise you to become one of that ‘kind’.”

 

Those words felt like knives stabbing at Eun Bin’s heart. She had prepared herself for the worst possibilities that could happen, but hearing it directly like this hurt so much. She was almost 100% sure that her parents would love her the same no matter who she was, but now she didn't know anymore

 

She kept being silent the whole time while looking to the ground. Her tears were threatening to fall, her pain was beyond everything. She felt like this was one of the worst moment of her life. At that time, she wondered whether she was strong enough to pass this. She began to doubt herself, even though she knew that this was only the start.

 

“You have already known that this is not normal, right?! Do you know what will happen if anyone finds out about this, what they will talk about us? Have you ever thought what you will bring to this family? Do you even care about us?” Her dad kept talking, and yelling. “How could you let yourself become like this? Was it because of your silly crush? She turned you to be like her?”

 

That’s it. Eun Bin lost it right there. She couldn’t let her dad talked something bad about Su Yeon. the tears fell. “You want the answer, dad? Yes, I knew everything that you said, believe me.” Her dad opened his mouth to interrupt. “No, dad. You listen to me, please. You know, that silly crush had made my life happier from the tiniest seconds since the day I met her. She was always there for me to help me to become a better person. She stayed up all night to help me to study hard and get the scholarship. She encouraged me to reach my dream. She made me believed that I was good enough for everyone, that I was beautiful and so worth of love when I was feeling down. She understood me the most, more than anyone. She is an amazing person, and I hurt her!”

 

Her dad was shocked that Eun Bin could talk back like that. Eun Bin kept talking as her dad said nothing as well.

 

“I hurt her so bad by leaving her when she needed someone to stay. I was so scared of what people like you thought about me and her, rejection, bullying, the talks, the discrimination and the unfairness. I left her to deal with them all alone while I was hiding. And you know what she did? She still protected me, and didn’t let anyone get their hands on me. Now I lost her, she left me. She left me not because of what I did, but because she didn’t want me to have to experience the same thing by being with her. She didn’t want me to suffer, she wanted me to be happy.”

 

She continued. “Mom, dad, you two are the last people that I want to disappoint. All this time, I have always tried my best to make you happy and proud, and I loved doing that, even by sacrificing my life and my feelings sometime. But this time, I can’t do that. I couldn’t sacrifice myself being someone that I am not, and regretting my whole life for my stupidity. I can’t do that. I don’t want to make mistakes and cost my life only to fulfil anyone’s expectation of me. I loved you two so much, that’s why I told you. I didn’t want you not knowing who your daugther truly is. I am tired of hiding, dad, I want to be me. I don’t expect you and mom to be so accepting, but please respect my life. I never choose or want to be gay, moreover I know that being one will have a harder life, but I also can’t deny myself too long. I have to accept this fact that I couln’t change, sooner, or later. I just hope that you can understand that it’s not easy for me to acknowledge that and to be open to you.”

 

Her mom gazed at her with queestioning look when she was explaining, but after hearing them, she felt symphaty for her. Deep down, she didn’t like gays, like other common Koreans, but this was her Eun Bin.

 

“Whatever ! I just can’t let you be like that. Cancel everything, you are not going to US!”

 

Eun Bin looked at her dad. “No way, I worked so hard for that.”

 

“I said, you will not go to USA.And it’s my final decision. I couldn’t let my daughter to be influenced by those groups of people there. I couldn't accept it. Change yourself and live normally."

Eun Bin was saying no words, she kept crying. Afrer a while, she knew that the best thing to do for now was being silent and finding a way to go to US without her parents noticing. After done crying, she went to her room and began to get ready. She succeeded and brought her luggages. She went to someone that she could trust.

 

“Wow, what time is this?  what are you doing? The flight is tomorrow, not now."

"Long story..." Eun Bin said, remembering what happened tonight. 

"Let’s go inside.”

 

“Okay,, thank you."