Chapter 9

Take My Hand

Title:  Take My Hand

Author: evil-bunny

Rating: PG

Genre: Angst, Drama, Family, Romance

Characters: Kyuhyun/Sungmin, other Super Junior members

Warning: School!AU,

Summary: Kyuhyun’s parents were divorced. Sungmin was working himself out to feed his two brothers. What would happen if Kyuhyun met Sungmin?

 

----

 

Today was a great day for little Jinki. He spent his day on school as usual, but at least he could play football with Minho before they went to go home. Minho said his home was empty that he didn’t want to go home early, so he asked Jonghyun and Jinki to play with him, but in the middle of their play Jonghyun got his older sister picked him up. Minho was sad to say goodbye to Jonghyun, but he still had Jinki to play with him. In the end, they stopped playing at five and Jinki rushed to Minseok’s day care. He was feeling sorry but he enjoyed the game too much.

 

“Minseok, hyung’s sorry.” Jinki shouted as he stepped into the law of the day care, Minseok was waiting for him on the swing with a beautiful woman Jinki used to see here. Jinki crouched down before Minseok who smiled widely. “You wait too long, don’t you?” Jinki helped Minseok down from the swing, thanking the woman before she left them together.

 

“Ung… Minseok’s afraid hyung forgets to pick Minseok up.” Minseok pouted while playing with the hem of his shirt before he looked up to see Jinki and said, “but it’s okay because hyung’s here~” Minseok then hugged the giggling Jinki and joined his older brother giggling as well.

 

“How cute.” Jinki pinched Minseok’s cheek playfully. “I’m sorry okay? Minho hyung makes me play with him so I can’t leave him alone.”

 

“Is it football?” Minseok asked as they made their way to their home, hand in hand.

 

“Yeah, football. You know Minho hyung so well, don’t you?” Jinki ruffled Minseok’s smooth hair lovingly as they took left side of the road. Their home wasn’t that far from Minseok’s day care, Sungmin said it made them easier to pick Minseok up whenever they had to run on errand or something. Jinki’s school was the same. Sungmin thought it would be better for Jinki to study near their house because Jinki wouldn’t need any transportation fee so he could buy something more expensive for himself. Although Sungmin made lunch for them, it was better to save some money in case Jinki need it in urgent.

 

“Hyung, what will we have for dinner?” Minseok always asked his brothers for dinner whenever they took Minseok from the day care. It was habit of him, and nobody knew how it started. Jinki thought it was because of Minseok’s friends told him about their family so Minseok started to follow his friend to do the same. Well, Minseok was just a kid anyway.

 

“Erm… maybe something with kimchi? But we run out of kimchi, but Sungmin hyung said we’d make it on weekend… then something with eggs. Or vegetables.” That was what they usually had in common. Sungmin always fed them vegetable because it cost less than chicken and beef, but sometimes when Sungmin got bonuses they would buy chicken. Beef only for a really great event such as Minseok or Jinki’s birthday. Other than that, tofu was the most expensive.

 

They arrived at their house five minutes later. They took a bath together, and played for killing time before their brother came with friend of his. It was unexpectedly a great dinner for Lee family. This friend of the oldest brother seemed like a prince or something because they ate expensive stuffs—even they had strawberry juice.

 

So, when it times for the kids to go to sleep, Sungmin put them together on the bed. Jinki and Minseok worked together to spread Minseok’s futon because Sungmin said the pork hyung and Sungmin would sleep on the living room. It was actually the usual time for Jinki to get sleepy, but he had urge to pee. Minseok was sleeping soundly beside him, so Jinki moved slowly to prevent Minseok disturbed in his sleep. He even tip toed to door, opened it slowly to make no sound, but he stopped when he heard his brother’s voice. Their house was so small he could clearly hear the two’s talk.

 

“Hey, Sungmin.”

 

Then it came to this. Jinki put his right ear out to make sure he didn’t destroy anything because his brother’s friend sounded really serious and he didn’t want to make someone hide their true feeling to be spoken. He was a kindhearted, indeed.

 

“Can I kiss you?”

 

Jinki felt like a bucket of cold water was poured down from his head to his toe. Did he hear right? Kiss? That pork brother wanted to kiss his brother? His heart was pounding so hard inside his chest—but he wasn’t the one to be kissed! It was the first time for him to meet an unexpected event like this because no way his friends would do something like this on the school. So, Jinki braved himself to open the door wider to see what his brother’s answer, but what he could see was more unexpected.

 

There, Sungmin and Kyuhyun faced each other, lips tangled in a beautiful way. Eyes closed, hands on each other’s cheek and head. Maybe if it was a comic Jinki would have his eyes jumped out of its place. He then closed the door and went back to his place, feeling hyper.

 

“Minseok, it’s good our brother has a lover like him.” Jinki shifted on futon to face his younger brother, “Sungmin hyung’s happy, then we’ll be happy as well. We’ll have more beefs after this, right?”

 

----

 

Kyuhyun went back in the morning after he had breakfast with Lee family. He spent a really nice night there, include the kiss. He couldn’t hold the smile creep up on his face whenever he remembered that night. It was actually his first kiss. These all time he lived on the earth, he never cared much about romance at all. It was the first time for him, and he felt grateful to have Sungmin to be his partner. Though they hadn’t decided to be in that kind of relationship yet.

 

The bus Kyuhyun got on stopped on the bus stop near his house. He then got off, suddenly remembered he was about to see his parents. It was nice if his parents were home, but then again they rarely seemed together lately. Kyuhyun sighed. When would his family problem end? Even Sungmin who had no parents lived lively and lovingly. And Sungmin said he had to be grateful to have parents.

 

Once Kyuhyun stepped into his house, his father was the one he first saw. He thought his mother must have been in their room or even didn’t go home last night. He thought for seconds to approach his father or not, but then he strengthened his heart and took a lead to face his father. His father was calmly reading a newspaper before his half eaten breakfast, probably unaware of Kyuhyun’s presence.

 

“G-good morning.” Kyuhyun took a seat beside his father, then filled his bowl with rice and began to eat his second breakfast despite his full stomach.

 

His father, finally, lowered his newspaper to greet Kyuhyun back. “Where were you last night? You didn’t tell home you wouldn’t back.”

 

“Yeah… I was at my friend’s. My friend doesn’t have phone so I couldn’t tell you.” Kyuhyun smile a little. “Where’s mom?” he touched the sensitive topic in the morning they had breakfast together. Kyuhyun could see the trembling his father got from the question.

 

“Your mom… in her room, I guess.” Kyuhyun knew very well they separated their room already. It was a heartbreaker news for him. If they already sleep on different bed, then divorce was about the corner already.

 

“Ah, really?” Kyuhyun answered uninterested. “Dad?” his father hummed to this, “can’t you please stop fighting for me?” Kyuhyun talked in really low tone his father felt how sad it sounded. He knew the saddest person from their fights was Kyuhyun, not him or his wife. It was the first time Kyuhyun ever talked about this, and he just realized how bad it hurt Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun grew up to a good looking boy he couldn’t tell Kyuhyun was only seventeen. He was obvious to Kyuhyun’s fragile heart while he and his wife cared too much of their own heart. They completely forgot about Kyuhyun.

 

“Kyu…”

 

“I know it’s you two’s problem, but…” Kyuhyun put down his chopstick to take a breath before he continued, “can’t you please make up for me? Can’t you try not yell at each other’s face for me? Can’t you stop seeing another girls for me? Can’t you, only for a night, spend time together for me?”

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

“I know it’s not easy to forgive someone you hate, and I know exactly how hard it is to spend time with someone we don’t like, but please try it once for me? I just want to have a harmony family… once…” Kyuhyun was on the edge, he didn’t hold his tears anymore as he revealed his burden. He even sobbed like a child, forgetting that he was so full of himself for being a gentleman to his friends. Little did he know his father was no different from him.

 

----

 

Sungmin ended his shift just a while ago. The café was empty already, the rest of the workers were having their uniform changed on the back, and Sungmin left to lock the door. He covered the window from the outside, then went inside to lock the door—nobody was this diligent to do everything. Sungmin, if he had the night shift, was willing to close the café. Everyone relieved they had Sungmin here.

 

Sungmin hummed his favorite song to light up the mood around the café. He was alone so he somehow felt chill down his spine but it was okay, because he knew songs to accompany him. Well, sometimes sounds like a footstep heard from outside or back, and Sungmin was easily shocked so yeah… he needed something to avert his attention from his fear.

 

While Sungmin was looking at this one table which had stain, his boss walked down from his office with still nice outfit from morning and an empty cup on his right hand. The image Sungmin was showing was really cute Heechul couldn’t help but approaching the little bunny. The said bunny was frowning and hardly brushing the table with a mop, but pouting when the stain stayed the same. “What are you doing here when everybody’s gone?” Heechul whispered on Sungmin’s ear which made the latter jumped out of shock. He even saw Heechul with his big round eyes, wavering in fear.

 

“Boss!”

 

“You’re not home yet?” Heechul chuckled as Sungmin exhaled deeply. Heechul took the opportunity to study Sungmin’s facial as he kept rubbing the stain off of the table. “What about your brother?”

 

“I told them about my night shift.” Sungmin replied as he rubbed off the sweat on his forehead. “Anyway, Jinki knows how to cook rice so don’t worry. They’ll find something to eat on the fridge anyway.” Sungmin smiled as he pictured the whining Minseok asked for food to the grumpy Jinki. “You haven’t home yourself, boss.”

 

“It’s weird to hear you calling me boss.” Heechul snorted. “Wanna grab something before you go home?”

 

“I don’t think I can eat anything before I make sure my brothers consume something, hyung.” Sungmin chuckled again. He just liked chuckling. “But thanks, hyung.”

 

“That’s just so Sungmin.” Heechul smirked. He suddenly remembered his friend. It happened so fast he couldn’t think anything. About Sungmin and Kyuhyun, it wasn’t supposed to be his problem but he couldn’t let himself but butted in to their matter. It was because two of them were his important person he couldn’t say no to them. “You know,” Heechul tried to open up another conversation despite Sungmin’s business on the table, “I see you have met new friend.”

 

Sungmin stopped on his tract. New friend? As long as he knew, he made ton of friends everywhere. He didn’t sure which friend Heechul referred to. “What friend? I met a new friend yesterday when I was shopping because we asked for the same thing.” Sungmin giggled after that. It was right tough, and Heechul shook head at this.

 

“Erm… I mean, I see you hang out a lot with Kyuhyun lately. Cho Kyuhyun, you know?” Heechul didn’t know it was a good thing to bring this up or not. He knew he shouldn’t be on their matter, but he couldn’t help the urge to know how far things between Sungmin and Kyuhyun was. He was dead to know.

 

Sungmin, the mention of this evil but sweet person, went red. His mind flied away to the night they shared the same air together in Sungmin’s place, the night where Sungmin had lost his first kiss. “Y-yeah… he’s a good kid, Jinki and Minseok are happy to have him as a friend.” Sungmin shrugged the idea of their lips interlocked on his mind successfully.

 

Heechul, although the room was dim and he couldn’t see Sungmin clearly, he could feel the nervousness Sungmin felt. He knew there was something between Sungmin and Kyuhyun. “Kyuhyun’s a shy kid though, he can’t easily make friend.” Heechul folded his arms on his chest. “It’s surprising to see him have new friend.”

 

“Well, that’s a good thing, isn’t that?” Sungmin shrugged as he successfully removed the stain on the table. He had to change into his school uniform and go home before Minseok ate all the rice. “Good night, Heechul. I’ll go home.”

 

But before Sungmin could walk away from where they had talk, Heechul took Sungmin’s right hand to pull the smaller boy into his embrace, feeling the warmth of the smaller boy on his own body, and before he realized, he had moved his own lips towards Sungmin’s. Sungmin was in daze he could only widened his eyes. He couldn’t understand why his boss did this to him, though. His boss wasn’t drunk because he couldn’t taste alcohol from Heechul’s breath, but then what? Sungmin struggled from Heechul’s grip, but Heechul was stronger and they ended up fell on the couch. Sungmin was so panic he started hit Heechul.

 

“Kim Heechul!”

 

Heechul snapped back, letting Sungmin go who immediately ran away to the back as Heechul cursed. He couldn’t think straight—it was the smile Sungmin had on his face which stirred this all. He gripped on his own hair, feeling bad so suddenly. “What the hell are you doing to a little kid?!” that was Kangin. Kangin helped Sungmin from a beast he was.

 

“T-thank you…”

 

“What?” Kangin stared weirdly at Heechul who took his step into his office in confusion, probably shocked by himself. Kangin hoped Sungmin and Heechul could talk things out.

 

“Why’re you here? Where’s Heechul?” Yesung suddenly barged in, oblivious to current situation. Being a driver he was, he parked his car first before followed on Kangin to see Heechul but then Kangin dragged him out of the café, saying Heechul might spend the night there. Well, at least Kangin paid for his meals or he would just walk into Heechul’s office himself.

 

----

 

To Be Continued

 

A/N: happy belated birthday Minseok~ it's so late, yeah, I know :") anyway, happy reading~ ^^