Chapter 14

Take My Hand

The night was the worst night Kyuhyun ever had. Sure he got his boyfriend back, earning what he wanted to hear from his boyfriend, could maintain his own feeling to not blame anyone else because it wasn’t Heechul’s fault also, but in the end, his mother ruined it all. He was thinking about having a date the next day with Sungmin to celebrate their (fool) first fight, but he canceled it right away. It wasn’t the right thing to do when his parent knew about his relationship with Sungmin and realized that Sungmin was the one who he always talked in the dining table. It was obvious.

 

His mother dragged him home as soon as she witnessed the scene in the park, without giving Sungmin a second look and locked Kyuhyun up inside the car. All the way to their house the atmosphere was really cold and awkward, and Kyuhyun knew his mother wouldn’t say a word. Just when they arrived at their garage his mother said, “Take a shower. We’ll have dinner after this.” And went away without asking if Kyuhyun had dinner already or not. Kyuhyun didn’t want anything shoved inside his throat right now, but he wouldn’t say no to his mother. Probably there would be more talking with his father after this.

 

The second he stepped down the stairs, he could feel the cold atmosphere from the dining room. He thought maybe it was the time he told his parent about Sungmin, but his heart hadn’t ready for it yet. He needed time to build up his courage and tell the world that he dated Sungmin. But tonight he wouldn’t be hiding it anymore because he saw his father sat on his usual seat, while his mother was busy preparing the dining table. No smile on their face like it used to be recently. They had this stern face, and nobody gave him a glance when he entered the dining room. He hated it.

 

Their dinner started when his mother took a seat across him and his father coughed. It was funny how this situation had happened long ago just before Cho parent started their fight. It gave Kyuhyun bad impression, of course. Kyuhyun didn’t feel anything when he chowed down his meal, too afraid of what came after this. And when his father glanced his way, he knew it would start soon.

 

“You surely are quiet today, Kyuhyun.” It liked he always be a chatter box when he was actually not. Kyuhyun gave a small smile in return. It looked like a cringe actually. “I hear from your mother you two met in the park.”

 

“Y-yeah…” Kyuhyun reached for his glass after that. His mother didn’t even give her voice, nor giving any interest of it. Kyuhyun thought his mother already gave in to his father so this talk would only involve his father and him. It was worst because his mother usually took his side but nobody would do that anymore.

 

“She said you two look really close.”

 

It was the time. Kyuhyun took a deep breath before he faced his father completely, taking any risk of his decision. “His name is Lee Sungmin. He is the first class of my year, and we know each other for almost two months, although I know him from my friend before.” He still thinking about inserting the word boyfriend or not here. He knew he should, thought. “And he is my boyfriend.”

 

Nobody said anything. His father still calmly eating his dinner like he didn’t hear anything from Kyuhyun, but his mother had stopped on her track for a second and decided to take a sip of her drink. Apparently she was shocked from the fact that his own child was gay and even having a boyfriend. “I remember I saw you flirting with a guy at Myungdong… I see that guy is this Lee Sungmin, right?” his father looked at him in the eyes this time. He found the seriousness on his father’s eyes, and it was long time ago when he saw those eyes.

 

“Yeah…” Kyuhyun replied in low tone, feeling a little defeated with those eyes. “He is.”

 

“I know we made troubles for you, but why… why did you run for a boy?” his mother, being a mother she was, finally let out her words. Although that wouldn’t make Kyuhyun any better. “No boy for other boy. You should’ve searched for girl, not a boy like him!”

 

“We are sorry for the stress we gave you these past two years, but… can’t you break up with him?” Kyuhyun’s world was crushing in to pieces. He knew it would come but he didn’t know it would be so hurt for him. His parents opposed his relationship was worse than being them separated. And it was Sungmin they were talking about, not some random naughty boy they met on the street. Sungmin was far different—he was a lot better. “You see it’s not normal to have a relationship with the same gender.”

 

“But when it comes to love, even gender is not matter…” how much Kyuhyun wanted to show his parent about the big his feeling for Sungmin was shown by the way he said it. He was desperate and didn’t know what to do. If Sungmin knew about it, he probably ended it up like the Cho wanted.

 

“It’s matter!” his mother was in rage that she even shouted at Kyuhyun. “People look down on something like this! They won’t accept you two wherever you go—nothing like same gender marriage here! And even you known for doing charities everywhere, you’ll be just crushed away because you’re gay! No matter how good your life is, is not good anymore the second you’re married with him!”

 

No, it wasn’t right, he knew it. His feeling for Sungmin was no right and not normal. He knew both boys wouldn’t make a perfect family and wouldn’t get anything in the society out there, but he couldn’t choose with whom he could fall in love with. Wasn’t love the same whatever you fall for? Age didn’t matter when it came for love—why gender did matter? Wasn’t that unfair? That was no fair. Falling in love was a blessing feeling, why Cho couple had to oppose what he had in his heart? Did they want him to be all dull with love? Did they want him to be all fine when they had fight? Did they want him to be all alone and kill himself because of them? Sungmin was his medicine his parent wouldn’t understand.

 

“You don’t understand me.” Kyuhyun said in low tone.

 

“We understand, Kyuhyun, but it’s not a simple matter.” His father took the lead now. His hand was busy calming his furious mother who had to slowly take breath. “I know it, but it’s wrong. We do this because we care for you, you must understand.”

 

“No, you don’t understand at all!” Kyuhyun had shouted for them to hear for him. It was hard to convey them because they wouldn’t hear him out at all. They just cared for the public, people’s thought of him. They should have cared for him instead. It was his life. “You don’t understand because you’re not in my position. You don’t understand because it’s not your life!” Kyuhyun stood from his chair and left the dining room, but before he left he gave the couple a disappoint look.

 

“I fight for your love, why don't you fight for my love too?”

 

Kyuhyun didn’t come down at all for three days straight after that.

 

----

 

Today is Sunday, where Sungmin would be out all day because he took two shift when it was weekend. Jinki and Minseok were left in the house, doing chores (although Jinki was the one did all of it) or doing their homework (and Minseok only colored his coloring book). Their big brother left them notes to buy something for their lunch because he couldn’t cook today. Something was bothering his brother, Jinki could sense that, but he didn’t say anything. The oldest Lee was so much in worried from last Friday. Probably because his boyfriend because the so called boyfriend hadn’t showed up in their place like usually he did.

 

“Minseok-ah, let’s buy something for lunch!” Jinki said happily because actually he was hungry and would be dead if he didn’t get anything to eat in ten minutes, really.

 

“Yeeaaay~” Minseok quickly took his coat because outside was so cold and he didn’t want to get sick because his big brother said he would be sad if he got sick. So he, with help from Jinki, wore his coat and walk hand-in-hand with his big brother to the nearest kimbab place. Well, he loved kimbab so he would ask for more roll to the middle Lee if they still got the money.

 

“Ahjumma, two rolls of vegetable kimbab, please.” Jinki said as soon as they arrived at the kimbab place and took a seat on the nearest table from the door. They took off their coat, but Minseok ran back to the owner lady to see how the kimbab was made. He was curious as how it made although his brother often made one, but it was entertaining for him. He even asked the lady what the ingredients they put in to their kimbab. He was really a cute chatterbox.

 

One roll was well made and was being sliced to be a round thin kimbab when a door opened as a woman in her forty walked in. She didn’t order immediately, but scanning through the menu to choose what she liked to eat. Minseok, being a sensitive and caring person he was, looking at the woman with a smile on his cute face. He didn’t know her, but his brother didn’t tell him to go all cold to all people he didn’t know.

 

“Excuse me madam, do you know what to choose? Do you need help?” little Minseok asked softly as he made his way to the woman who had this shock on her face. “I can help you with the menu. I’m a regular here, so I know what to choose when it is your first time here.”

 

That woman was smiling at Minseok’s blabbering. She lowered her body to see Minseok better and patted the smaller’s head. “What’s your name, cutie? Do you come here alone?”

 

“My name is Minseok. Lee Minseok.” Minseok smiled because he called cute. He liked to be called cute. “No, Ahjumma. Minseok comes with Jinki hyung. Our house is not too far from here so we come here often.”

 

“Really? Then what you eat for today?” that woman thought this kid reminded her so much of his own son. It was the stage where all the kid was so cute and adorable, but when they grow up, they didn’t show that much cuteness like this anymore. “Do you like meat kimbab?”

 

“Vegetable kimbab!” Minseok squealed in happiness. It was kimbab he talked about. “Oh, that’s the best here because meat is very delicious~ Ahjumma should eat that here~”

 

“Thank you for your advice, Minseok-ah.” She chuckled at Minseok’s cute giggling. “Do you want some, Minseok?”

 

Minseok was hesitate. It was a really great opportunity but it wasn’t right to accept anything from acquaintance like this. His brother didn’t tell him to accept everything free because he had to work for whatever he wanted, but it was kimbab. He couldn’t let kimbab go, but he couldn’t accept that either. “I want to, but hyung says we shouldn’t accept too much from people.” Minseok sadly refused, “hyung says we have to work hard for whatever we want, so I have to say no to this Ahjumma, I’m so sorry…”

 

The woman was confused. It was only kimbab but this kid could refuse that. She even shocked from the things this kid said. It wasn’t a fault to accept people’s kindness but it seemed like this kid’s hyung had so much sorrows that he taught that to him. Minseok bowed to the woman before he took his way to the seat his hyung already seated on. He ate his kimbab in silence, too much regret of refusing the meat kimbab that woman had offered. He would just ask his Sungmin hyung to buy him one next time he came here, then.

 

“He’s an orphan.” The owner lady suddenly said, earning attention from her new costumer. “That is his second hyung. The oldest is probably working when it’s weekend and they usually eat here when their brother’s working. Their oldest brother is so polite you can let yourself giving anything for them. But they usually refuse it if it’s free. He says he knows how hard it is to work his body out so he won’t accept anything free, so I just give them discount.” The woman was new to this information. Of course, she knew the boy just now. “What do you like to eat, Madam?”

 

“I’d like to have meat kimbab.” The woman smiled to the lady. “Make it three, please. And give the two to them. I’ll have mine to take away.”

 

“They’ll be so happy to have this, Madam.” The lady chuckled as she looked at the Lee brothers. “They like meat to much but they couldn’t afford it.”

 

Just how much those kids had to suffer from this harsh world? If the little brothers were having cheap lunch here, then what about the oldest? Would he even get his lunch? He could be working his body off and forgot his own lunch. “Ahjumma, make it ten instead, all take home. I’ll take three and give the others to them. Thank you.”

 

Her phone went off. It was a text from her maid. Well, her house was big and nobody there except her son and her maids. It was weekend, but she had this little meeting on the café near this place and she was hungry so she made a visit here. His son loved meat so much, so it would be great to buy him some and maybe he would stop his anger so they can talk like usual again, but her maid just text, Mr. Cho isn’t home today and Mr. Kyuhyun just left and nobody can stop him, I’m sorry Madam. That brat surely took that from her. His husband must be in rage when he got home today.

 

----

 

To Be Continued