Chapter 08

A Race

“Since we have to make three units, why don’t we split the girls into each unit?” Dokyeom offered an idea. “So, there will be a girl in each. How?” he looked at the others one by one.

“That sounds good,” said Woozi that agreed by the rest of the boys then he looked at the girls. “What do you think, noonas?”

The girls looked at each other before Haein spoke as the representative of their voice. “Fine with me,” Haein said and Soyeon and Yulhee nodded in unison.

“Good!” exclaimed Vernon. “Now, let’s choose the members of each unit!”

“But how?” asked Dino.

“Just use the conventional method,” Joshua chuckled and continued saying, “Let’s play rock-paper-scissor!”

“Why don’t noonas play it and whoever wins can choose whomever she wants?” Seungkwan suggested that soon agreed by them all.

“Good idea! Let’s start it!” said Yulhee.

“Rock-paper-scissor!”

“Yeay! I win!!” Yulhee cheered happily as she jumped excitedly. “Who wants to be my members?” she asked while looking at the boys.

“Choose me, Yul noona!!” Dino eagerly put his hand up.

“No, choose me!!” said Vernon.

The boys laughed to see their responses to Yulhee’s question and then Jun said, “Just choose them already, Yul!”

Joshua nodded in agreement. “Yeah. Don’t let the kids down~” he chuckled.

“Hmm…” Yulhee was silent for a while as she looked at Vernon and Dino who also looked at her with their pleading eyes. “Alright! Hansol and Chan, come with me!”

Vernon and Dino jumped and cheered happily to be chosen and Woozi said something about maknae-line team when the first unit gathered together. Soyeon and Haein looked at each other with smiles plastered on their faces before they started to play the game.

“Are you ready, Haein ah?” asked Soyeon.

“I was born ready~” said Haein.

“Rock-paper-scissor!”

Haein cheered happily as she won the game, leaving Soyeon disappointed with herself. I shouldn’t have showed rock… she thought miserably then slapped her cheeks with both of her palms lightly. “Aigoo… I’m really not good at this!” she pouted.

“You better try harder next time,” teased Haein then she gave a wink at Soyeon, which made the older one puff her cheeks in annoyance

“Who will you choose, noona?” asked Woozi.

Haein turned her face to the boys then she said, “I choose Junie and Kwanie!”

“I’m glad to be in your team, noona, but don’t call me that way,” said Seungkwan as he walked to Haein with Jun.

“I’m sorry~ but Kwanie sounds cute, doesn it?” teased Haein as she nudged Seungkwan’s arm after the boy standing next to her.

“Yeah, but I’m not cute,” Seungkwan pouted which made Haein laughed.

“Soyeon noona, choose me!!!” suddenly, Dokyeon said as he pointed at himself.

“Dokyeom is so eager to be picked by you, Yeonie noona,” said Jun.

“Don’t pick him! Don’t pick him!” said Woozi, teasing Dokyeom.

Soyeon just chuckled but then she said, “Dokyeomie can be in my team.”

After he heard those words, Dokyeom jumped and bumped his fist to the air excitedly. “Yeay!!! Thank you, noona!” he said then he rushed to Soyeon and stood besides her.

“You’re welcome,” said Soyeon with her pretty eye-smile. “Woozi yah, come here!” she said to Woozi, signing him to be her team member, and the boy obeyed her by walking towards her and stood at the other side of hers.

“Joshua oppa, which team do you want to be in?” asked Yulhee.

“Mmm…” Joshua looked at the girls and the boys before deciding it. “I want to be in Soyeon noona’s,” he answered then he walked to Soyeon and bumped his fist to Dokyeom and Woozi’s who happily weolcomed him to the team.

“Okay, now that we have the units, let’s choose the first, second and third unit!” said Dino that agreed by the others.

 

***

 

“Have you decided the units, guys?” asked Seventeen’s manager that soon to be answered ‘yes’ by the boys and the girls. “Okay, now, the first unit of each team come here!”

Haein, Seungkwan and Jun came to where Seventeen’s manager was and then followed by Yujeong, Scoups and Jeonghan.

“Oh my… why should it be you to be my rival, Coups hyung?” Seungkwan was shock after he knew their rival team.

“Why? Why? Feeling down already?” teased Scoups.

Haein patted Seungkwan’s shoulder and said, “Chill, Seungkwan ah! We can beat them.”

Jun nodded. “Yeah, if we think we can, we’ll make it true,” he said optimiscally.

Seungkwan nodded then he breathed in and out to ease his anxiety.

“Haein ah, fighting!” suddenly, Yujeong shouted cheerfully to Haein, who was standing across her.

“Yah, noona! You shouldn’t cheer her up! She’s our rival,” warned Jeonghan to Yujeong while the people, who watched her antics, laughing. 

Yujeong pouted. “But she’s my friend…”

“Are you ready to play?” cut Laboum’s manager to the teams.

“YESSS!!!” shouted the six of them enthusiastically.

“Alright, in the count of three, you start going into the forest, got it?” the assistant of Seventeen’s manager gave a commando that soon to be nodded by the girls and the boys.

“Okay. I’ll start to count,” the assistant said. “One… two… three! GO!!!”

And by that, both of the teams started to run to the forest with the cheers from their companies.

 

***

 

The rest of the girls and boys talked with each other while waiting for the first unit of each team came back from the forest. Most of them looked happy, excluded Yulhee and The8.

“Yulhee yah, don’t you miss me?” asked Wonwoo to Yulhee, who was standing across him.

Yulhee shook her head in response and then she said, “Why should I miss you? It’s getting calm in my unit. I’ve found my own peace, finally.”

Wonwoo pouted at the response. “You’re so mean!” he said.

“Who’s started it first?!” Yulhee narrowed her eyes at Wonwoo, feeling offended by the mean word.

“Yah! You guys need to calm down, okay?” said Woozi. He was sitting between Yulhee and Wonwoo so of course he was bothered by their conversation.

“Just leave them alone, hyung!” shouted Dino. “It’s nice to increase the rivalry feel among us.” He chuckled.

Woozi frowned at Dino and then rolled his eyes in annoyance. “Are you kidding me?”

“Who wants to change my place with me?” suddenly they heard The8’s voice. He looked so pissed.

“Huh? Why?” asked Joshua.

“These new lovebirds,” The8 pointed his index finger to Mingyu and Solbin who were sitting respectively on his left and right side, “practically ignore me. I feel like a third-wheel!”

“We’re not like you said, Minghao-ssi!” cut Solbin with an upset look.

“Oh, you may say so, but you two keep on talking without caring about me!” said The8 to Solbin. He sounded upset too.

“Talking? Are you kidding me?” Solbin let out a sarcasm chuckle. “He practically bugs me with his questions!”

And by then, Solbin and The8 kept on arguing while Mingyu just looking at them in a timid manner. The tanned boy did not know what he should do so he just kept quiet. On the other side, Wonwoo kept on flirting annoyingly to Yulhee. The rest was talking with each other, laughing, throwing a joke, and laughing again. It was a fun/noisy/annoying night for the girls and the boys, depending to whom you asked how their night was.

 

***

 

Meanwhile, in the forest…

Yujeong, Scoups and Jeonghan walked carefully and slowly with flashlight on each hand. The ground was pretty damp and slippery because of the rain and the forest was totally dark without their flashlight.

“It’s really dark in here,” said Yujeong. She was a bit scared but she did not want to show it because she was the eldest among them and she felt the need to protect the boys even though she did not have to since the boys were stronger and taller than she was despite they were younger.

Scoups nodded. “It’s good that noonas aren’t in the same team,” he said. “Who will protect you then?”

“We can protect each other well,” said Yujeong, trying to defending the girls.

Jeonghan chuckled as he heard Yujeong’s reply. “Yeah, yeah.” Suddenly, he grabbed Scoups’ hand. “Oh! I almost slipped,” he said after he could walk properly again and let go of his hand from Seventeen’s leader. “The ground is really slippery.”

“It was raining so yeah…” said Scoups. “You okay, right?” he asked Jeonghan who then answered with a nod.

“We just walk straight, huh?” asked Yujeong after who knew how long they had walked in the forest.

“Well, it seems like that,” said Scoups after he cheked on the map, “but we have to turn left after we see this sign.” He pointed at one of the pictures on the map and showed it to his team members.

“Is it still far away?” asked Yujeong again.

Jeonghan took a look at the map and then answered, “It says we only have to take fifty steps from the start before we see the sign…”

“How many steps we’ve taken by the way?” Scoups asked.

Jeonghan shrugged. “I don’t count. No one said about fifty steps…”

Suddenly, Yujeong squealed happily that made Scoups and Jeonghan turned their faces to her. Before they could ask her, the girl pointed her index finger at one direction. “There! Right there!” she shouted with happy face. And without waiting for the boys’ response, Yujeong rushed to the direction where the sign was plastered on one of the trees.

“Yah, noona! Slow down!” warned Scoups as he rushed to Yujeong carefully with Jeonghan behind him.

“I can’t and we shouldn’t,” shouted Yujeong, still rushing to the sign. “We have to be hurry unless… argh!”

What Scoups worried the most happened. Yujeong fell on the ground. He and Jeonghan then quickly rushed to her with careful steps. “Bad noona! I’ve told you…”

“It hurts…” cut Yujeong in her sob as she grabbed her ankle.

“Let me help you!” Jeonghan helped Yujeong to stand on her feet by holding her waist.

Once Yujeong felt the ground with her feet, she groaned painfully as she held onto Jeonghan’s arm tightly to prop up her body. “Ah, aahh… I can’t. It really hurts,” she sobbed.

Then Scoups squatted down in front of Yujeong and patted his back while saying, “Hop on me!”

Yujeong stopped sobbing as she looked at Scoups with confusion. “Huh?”

“Hop on me!” Scoups repeated. “You can’t walk so I give you a piggy-back-ride,” he explained.

“But…”

“We just waste some time, noona,” said Jeonghan. “Just do it!”

Yujeong slowly leaned her body onto Scoups’ back with Jeonghan’s help. She was so embarrassed that she forgot about the pain she felt before.

“You okay?” asked Jeonghan to Scoups when they started to continue their walk to the sign.

Scoups nodded. “This noona is lighter that I thought!” he chuckled that made Yujeong hit his shoulder lightly in embarrassment.

 

***

 

At the same time, Haein and Jun excitedly rushed in the forest to look for the sign while Seungkwan following them behind tiredly. “Come! Come! Come!” shouted the two eldest to Seungkwan without slowing up their paces.

“Slow down!” shouted Seungkwan in annoyed tone.

“You want to win, right? We have to be faster than the other team,” said Haein.

“I know, but all we’ve done is just running from the start and…”

“I’ve found the map!” cut Jun with a happy shout.

Haein clapsed her hands happily then patted Jun’s back lightly. “Yeay!!! Good job, Junie! You’re so good,” she said as she smiled at the tallest one among them.

Seungkwan was about to give Jun some compliments too, but he was cut by the older male.

“Let’s go get back!” Jun shouted excitedly and with Haein followed him behind, the two of them started to rush out of the forest, leaving Seungkwan who looked at them with a dazed look.

“What? Oh my God…” Seungkwan did not have any other choice so he rushed as well. “Why should I be in the same team with those enthusiast people?” he grumbled in an audible tone so Jun and Haein could still hear it.

“It’s not bad though,” said Haein. “We’re gonna win this first round! Come on, Kwanie! Hurry!”

“Did I tell you not to call me that way?”

 

***

 

“Woah, you guys are so fast!” said Seventeen’s manager as the second team showed up breathlessly.

“Come on, take this and go!” Jun handed the map to the second unit of his team that soon rushed into the forest.

“Where are they?” asked Solbin worriedly because Scoups and the others had not come yet.

“Are they lost?” asked ZN as worried as Solbin.

Hearing those words, Soyeon also got worried. She and her team mates would go into the forest after Yulhee and the others. “Is it possible if we may get lost, oppa?” she asked to Laboum's manager.

Laboum's manager nodded in response which made Soyeon even more worried. “Yeah, but we’ve made the track precisely so we hope you won’t get lost,” he tried to calm her down as he patted the girl's shoulder and smiled reassuringly.

“Oh! There they are!” Yoshi shouted as he pointed at Jeonghan and the others who rushed out of the forest.

“Guys, come on! Faster!” shouted Wonwoo.

Jeonghan hurriedly ran to the second unit of his team and then he sat down whilw catching his breath. "Good luck, guys!" He shouted to Wonwoo, Hoshi and ZN who were rushing to the forest.

“Yujeong unnie, are you okay?" asked Soyeon when Yujeong was set down by Scoups. "Where does it hurt?”

“How could you be like this?” asked Haein as she checked on Yujeong's wounds.

“She slipped on the ground because of the slippery track," answered Jeonghan instead of Yujeong.

“Hyung, do you bring fist aid kit box with you?” asked Scoups to the three older men among them.

“Yeah," answered Laboum's manager. He hurriedly opened up his sling bag and took out the first aid box. "Here!” he then handed it to Scoups.

"Thanks!" said Scoups then he quickly and carefully took care of Yujeong's wounds.

“Argh! It hurts!” Yujeong groaned painfully as she hit Scoups' arm lightly.

“Who told you not to listen to me? Bad noona!” grumbled Scoups without stopping taking care of the wounds. "Be a good girl, can you?"

And all of the people who watched the two of them laughed in amusement while Yujeong tried hard not to look embarrassed after getting a lecture from the younger boy.

 

 

 

A/N: I'm so sorry for not posting in a long time... I'm doing my mini thesis so I can't concentrate in continuing this fic. I've got the plot already but I just can't develop it, can you feel what I feel? Heol... Sorry... T.T

The next chap is still in process and I hope you like the story so far. Thanks for still subscribing this fix! *bow* :)