Chapter 10

A Race

"What are we going to do for talent show?" asked Scoups to the boys and the girls. All of them, except the managers and the assistant, squatting down in a circle as they discussed about the talent show.

"Because we're idols, let's show off our singing, dancing and rapping skills!" suggested Hoshi.

"That's a good idea!" Wonwoo agreed and soon agreed by the others as well. "So, let's put Dokyeom and Seungkwan to sing. How's it, hyung? Seungkwan?" he turned his face at Seungkwan and Jeonghan as he asked the question to them.

"Fine with me," answered Jeonghan.

"I'd love to!" exclaimed Seungkwan excitedly. "Who will beat us from Laboum?"

"Yujeong unnie and Yeonie are our main vocalist," said ZN, "so it'd be better if they beat you guys. Right, unnie?"

Yujeong nodded. "And Yulhee will show off her amazing rap skill," she said as she smiled at Yulhee. "Are you ready, Yul?"

"I was born ready!" replied Yulhee.

"I want to beat her then!" said Wonwoo enthusiastically.

Yulhee rolled her eyes. "Is there anyone else? Why should you..."

"Because I'm a rapper too, don't you remember?"

"If you want to argue, please do that after this, okay?" Scoups interrupted. "Hoshi yah, who will you choose for the dance show?"

Hoshi was silent for a while as he looked at Jun and Dino. "Can't we just dance together as a team?" he asked back to Scoups.

"How's it, nuna?" Scoups asked back to the girls. "Is it okay?"

Haein nodded. "Yeah," she replied as the representative of the other girls. "Who will dance from us?"

"It's you, duh!" said ZN. "You dance pretty well."

"But it's always you, Yulhee and Solbin when it comes to dance."

"Well, basically we are all good at dancing, but this time you can show off your dance skill to us," said Yujeong. "ZN ah, you can dance along with Haein too."

"Aye, aye, unnie!" ZN agreed.

"What will Solbin do then?" asked Haein.

"She can rap with me!" replied Yulhee.

"She can rap?" asked Vernon in surprise.

Yulhee nodded. "She did the rap part in our debut song and so did ZN unnie and Haein unnie."

"Hey, what will the rest of us do for talent show?" asked Jeonghan. "It'd be boring if we won't do anything."

"Ah, hyungs, why don't we show off our units' charm?" Dino offered an idea. "The talent show is about rapping, singing and dancing right? That's what we have in each unit. So, why don't we show up as a unit?"

The boys looked at each other and then some of them let out a yes and the rest nodded in agreement.

"Wait! Is that The8?" suddenly Jun pointed at someone who just came out of the entrance of the forest with something in his hand.

The boys and the girls automatically turned their face to the direction Woozi pointed at. Yes, it was The8.

"Woah! We did it! We did it!" exclaimed ZN happily as she jumped excitedly. "We won the game!!"

By then, the first team cheered happily. Scoups and Hoshi even ran to The8 and carried him to their place meanwhile the second team was clapping their hands to congratulate them.

"Where are Mingyu and Solbin?" Seventeen's manager's sudden question suddenly made the fuss go down as they looked at The8 with questioned looks.

"They haven't been here?" asked The8 confusedly.

"Weren't they with you?" Jun asked back.

"They were, but we were separated for a while because I wanted to pee. When I came back, they weren't there anymore so I thought they left me..."

"But they haven't arrived here," Jeonghan cut The8's explanation. "Are they lost in there?"

"God! What should we do?" Yujeong asked worriedly.

"Let's wait for them as we wait for the last unit come back from the forest," Laboum's manager suggested. "And let's pray for them to come back safely."

 

***

 

Mingyu and Solbin tried to get back to their place earlier, but they were failed to find the right way and kept on circling around. It made them frustrated of course.

"What should we do now?" asked Solbin. She was squatting down because she was tired from the walking.

"We have to get out of here as soon as possible," said Mingyu as he leaned his back on one of the big trees.

"How?" asked Solbin with frustration and annoyed look on her face. "We've tried so many times, but we always end up come back here! You don't know about the forest and neither I so tell me how exactly we can get out of here!"

"Calm down!" said Mingyu. "We have to think clearly to sort out this problem. If we think we can, we'll definitely can make it true."

"But I'm so scared..." admitted Solbin then she looked down at her feet and not long after that, her sobbing could clearly be heard. "This is so frustrating, you know? It's dark and foreign and we're in the forest! Even though our managers say it's safe, we wouldn't know if it's really safe. What if there would be wild animal catching after us? What if we'd die in here?"

"Oh, come on!" Mingyu left his place to Solbin. He had her getting up then lifted up her face to wipe the tears on the girl's cheeks. "Don't think that way! We can make it. We just need to try harder and keep on believing it," he said as he caressed Solbin's shoulder to calm her down. "You're not alone. You still have me."

Solbin looked at Mingyu, who was smiling warmly at her, while sniffling. Her face was reddened as she realized that they were too close, but it seemed like they boy did not notice it and she did not want to complain either. It was awkward of course, but she was fine.

"Should we start to move again?" asked Mingyu since Solbin did not react to his words earlier.

"Yeah," Solbin nodded weakly. "You lead the way."

"Okay." And then Mingyu took Solbin's hand and held it in his hand tightly as he walked before her.

Solbin was not into skinship, but she did not complain whenever Mingyu did that to her. That time, she wondered why the boy could do skinship so easily so she decided to ask. "Do you always do skinship with everyone? Girl and boy?"

"Huh?" Mingyu frowned at the question but then his eyes stopped at their hands that was still intertwined together. "Ah! This?" he asked as he brought their hands to Solbin's eyes level and the girl nodded in response. "Not really," he said while rubbing his nape with his other hand. "I just want to make myself sure that I won't miss you during our way. Is it okay? Or you don't like it?" he asked again in concern.

Solbin shook her head. "It's okay, but I'm not really into this in fact. It's awkward," she replied. "But I think I can trust you."

Mingyu chuckled to see the sweet smile on Solbin's face and how badly he wanted to kiss that... Wait! What?! Yah, Mingyu, get yourself together! He warned himself as he shook his head.

Solbin, who paid attention at him, frowned in confusion to see Mingyu's weird act. "Are you, okay?" she asked worriedly.

"Huh? Oh, yeah... I-I'm fine," Mingyu stuttered in reply.

Then both of them kept on walking to find the way out as they shouted for The8's name in case that boy could be found. They finally did not get back to their previous place, but it seemed like they went deeper to the forest. They argued again (it was mostly Solbin who started it first since she was too frustrated) and it made them let go of each other's hand. Mingyu was a bit disappointed because he wanted to keep the girl safe in his hand, but Solbin was so angry at him because he kept on choosing the wrong road that led them to the wrong place so Mingyu did not want to insist her to holding hands together.

After who knew how long they had been walking, Mingyu's positivity was getting down and he started to feel frustrated (thanked to Solbin who kept on whining during their way which influenced the boy). “I know it would be happening like this,” Mingyu grumbled as he walked before Solbin.

“Like what?” asked Solbin nonchalantly. She did not really care about what Mingyu talked about, but she just wanted to talk to be relaxed a bit from this kind of situation that really made her anxious.

“Like this,” Mingyu repeated then he turned his body to face Solbin who was walking after him slowly.

“Like what?” Solbin asked again in an upset tone since she did not get a specific answer.

When Mingyu was about to answer, suddenly they saw lightning on the sky and then thunder came after that. “We need to find a shade like a cave, big tree, or else,” he said. “It seems like it’d be raining soon.”

Solbin looked at the sky that was getting dark then she nodded her head in agreement. “Where are we exactly?” she asked while following Mingyu’s steps from behind.

“I don’t know,” Mingyu replied. “I wished we had never agreed this stupid race.”

"Agree," said Solbin weakly then another thunder came again with a loud sound that made her surprised and jump to Mingyu to hold his arm tightly. "So scary," she muttered as she burried her face on the boy's sleeve.

Mingyu chuckled then patted Solbin's head lightly. "It's okay. I'm here," he said in a soft tone. "I don't know you're a scaredy-cat." Mingyu chuckled again.

"Yaahh..." protested Solbin as she hit Mingyu's chest lightly and pouted.

The rain slowly pouring down to earth and it made them hurry to nowhere to find a place to protect them from the rain.

 

***

 

"What took you so long?" asked Hoshi to the last team who just arrived.

"Sorry, we got a little accident," answered Joshua who was helping Dokyeom to walk. "This guy fell and his foot hurt pretty bad."

"I've told you I'm okay," said Dokyeom.

"If you are, Joshua shouldn't have to help you to walk," said Woozi then his eyes stopped at The8. "Guess, we're lost, huh?"

Wonwoo nodded. "But we have a very big problem now."

"Where are Solbin?" asked Soyeon after looking around to check her member mates.

"That's the problem," Wonwoo said. "She and our Mingyu may be lost in the forest."

"What?!" The new comers exclaimed in surprised and at the same time they heard the loud thunder came.

"What should we do?" asked Scoups to the managers. "It seems like the rain will come soon and the kids are still in the forest."

"I think we have to make a team to find them," answered Laboum's manager. "And I'll be in."

"I'm in too," said Seventeen's manager then he looked at his assistant and said, "Please, take care the kids!" which then nodded by him.

"I'm going to take care these injury people so I won't go," said Scoups.

"But I think you should go, hyung," said Hoshi. "Let us take care of them. You're more useful if you join them."

"I want to go," said Yulhee. "I want to find my Solbin."

"Me too," said ZN.

"And me too," said Wonwoo.

"So, there will be six people who go to the forest," said Jeonghan. "I think that's enough."

"What are we going to do?" asked Dino. "We can't stay here, right? It'll be rain..."

Before Dino could finished his words, another thunder came again.

"Of course we won't be here," said Seventeen's assistant. "We'll be going back home."

"Be careful, guys!" said Scoups as he saw the rest of them walk back home. "Then what are we going to do?" he asked to his rescue team.

"We're going to split ourselves into two team," said Laboum's manager. "Yulhee and Wonwoo will be with me and ZN and Scoups will be with Sanhyung."

Yulhee was about to protest about her being in the same team with Wonwoo, but her manager pulled her hand and dragged her into the forest with the opposite direction with the other team. "If you didn't make this game, they wouldn't be lost," she grumbled to her manager.

"We never thought it'd be happening," Laboum's manager said. "The map is easily followed and the track isn't complicated..."

"You said! This is our first time to come here so we may get lost," said Yulhee. "And it happened to my team, remember?"

"But if you had beed focused with the map, you wouldn't have been lost," Wonwoo joined the conversation. The boy walked behind the two people.

Yulhee turned her face at Wonwoo and gave him a deathly glare. "Will you just shut up?"

"Hey, Yul! Can you stop being rude to him?" asked her manager. "He's doing nothing."

Yulhee swore she saw a smirk on Wonwoo's face, but she did not want to waste her time to argue with the boy anymore. Her thought went back to Solving and it made her worried. "Solbin ah! Ahn Sol! Where are you?" she started to scream during their way. "I hope she's okay."

"She would be," suddenly Wonwoo's hand was already on her shoulder. Yulhee was about to shout at him, but she was stopped once she saw the reassuring smile on his face. "He's with Mingyu, remember? She'd be okay," Wonwoo continued saying. He might look calm but he was not. Just like everyone, he was worried with the two lost people, but he did not want to show it off.

 

***