Chapter 09

A Race

"Nuna, don't you feel like to hold my hand?" asked Wonwoo as he offered his hand to ZN, who frowned at him with confusion.

"No?" replied ZN. "Why should I feel like to do that?" she asked.

"You know, you can hold my hand in case you're scared, just like what he's doing right now," answered Wonwoo as he pointed at Hoshi.

"Yah! Don't embarrass me," Hoshi slapped Wonwoo's hand lightly with an annoyed look but he did not let go of his hand from the younger boy and gripped it even tighter than before instead.

"What? I'm telling the truth."

ZN could not help but laughed to see the boys' behaviors. "I'm not that kind of person," she said when her laugh started to come off. "I'm a brave one."

"Really?" asked Wonwoo with hesitation as he looked at her in disbelief.

"Really," ZN nodded. "I'm the oldest here so it's my responsibility to protect you guys."

"Eyy... You don't have to!" said Hoshi. "We're not teenagers anymore and we're boys so we're the ones who will protect you, nuna."

"But you can barely protect yourself," said Wonwoo that soon got a pretty hard slap on his arm again from Hoshi. "Yah! I'm telling the truth, okay?" he protested.

"You guys are so funny!" ZN chuckled. Her eyes stopped at the sign on one of the trees in the forest and then she gasped in happiness. "There! There!" and by that, she rushed to the sign.

The boys could hardly understand what she talked about but once they looked at the direction ZN rushed to, they followed the girl behind.

"Nuna, slow down!" warned Hoshi. "You don't want to end up like Yujeong nuna, do you?"

"Nah, I can be very careful even when I'm in a rushed," ZN said, still rushing to the sign. When she arrived there, she took the other map off of the same tree that was below the sign. "We did it!" she cheered happily as she waved the map to thw boys.

"Nuna, you're the best!" said Wonwoo then he took a look at the map for a while. "Now let's get out of here so we can give this to the last unit!"

Then the three of them rushed out of the forest. They were careful enough so none of them slipped on the slippery ground.

"I think we can lead this round," said Hoshi during their way out. "We made it pretty fast."

"But don't you remember that the other unit went to the forest earlier than us?" asked ZN. "And those people are so eager to win. I think they've made it faster too."

"Don't be pesimistic, nuna!" said Wonwoo. "They may go to the forest faster, but who knows if they could make it or not? Let's hope they get a little problem in there so they will be there a little longer and we can win this round!"

"Yah! Don't say that!" exclaimed Hoshi, disagreeing Wonwoo's words. "It may happen to us as well and I don't want it."

"Neither I," said ZN. "Yulhee's with them and I want her to be okay even though it means we'd lose."

"Ah... Yeah, my bad. Sorry," Wonwoo grinned as he rubbed his nape. "I was trying to throw a joke though."

"Gosh, your joke isn't funny at all," said ZN as she shook her head.

"Well, that's Jeon Wonwoo," said Hoshi, "The king of lame and bad joke."

 

***

 

Meanwhile in the other team...

"I thought the track looked different from the first time we got in here," Vernon grumbled at Dino. "Now, we're getting lost and..."

"I think this is the right way," cut Dino as he pointed at one of the forks of the track.

"Yah! Stop acting like you didn't hear me..."

"Or~ yo seoro maebeon deutneun dung mareun dung mareul dollyeodae girl!" cut Yulhee in a sing-songed way then she laughed.

Vernon frowned at her while processing what she was doing earlier.

"Woah, nuna, you know that song?" Dino asked in amusement.

Yulhee nodded. "Of course!" she said. "That's one of my favorite songs."

"Ah! Q&A?" asked Vernon as he found out what had happened. "Thank you for liking the song!" he bowed to Yulhee then he turned his face to Dino with annoyed look. "Are you sure we don't take the wrong road again?"

Dino nodded. "We were go to the other way earlier so this is the right one," he answered as he led them all to get out off the forest.

"You know we spent quite a long time when we got lost? I think we're going to lose from the other unit," Vernon said disappointedly. "And this is all your fault!"

"I've said sorry," Dino pouted. "At least we still have another unit. We still have a chance to win at the end."

"Chill out, guys!" Yulhee said. "Just enjoy the game. I know we want to win this game so bad, but we have to accept any result that may be happening later, good or bad."

Vernon just nodded and Dino let out a weak 'yeah' in response. Then the three of them rushed to find the gate away of the forest.

"Look! We did it!" Dino shouted with a happy face as he pointed at the track in front of them. It was the place where the got in the forest and also the gate away.

"Come on! We have to be hurry!" said Vernon and then he ran to the gatw away with Dino, leaving Yulhee slightly behind them.

"Yah, guys, slow down!" Yulhee shouted. "And watch your step! Don't be falling."

Not long after that, they came out of the forest, panting heavily. Dino gave the last map to the last unit of his team who then rushed into the forest to find the treasure.

"What took you so long?" asked Seungkwan in disappointed tone. "The last unit of the other team has been in the forest for ten minutes!"

"So, we're failed?" asked Dino.

"Most likely," Hoshi answered the question instead of Seungkwan. "What's happened with you guys?"

"You're all-right, aren't you, Yul?" asked ZN worriedly as she came closer to Yulhee to check her out.

Yulhee nodded. "We got lost for a while," she answered while pouting.

"And it was because of Dino!" said Vernon.

"Yah, hyung, I've said sorry, okay?" said Dino in annoyed tone.

"Woah, I never knew my wish would come true!" said Wonwoo in amazement as he looked at the second unit of the other team.

Yulhee frowned. "What is he talking about?" she asked to ZN.

"He wished there would be something holding you in the forest for a little longer and it seems like it really does come true," answered ZN.

"What?!" Dino, Vernon and Yulhee shouted in unison.

"Yah, hyung! How could you wish that for us?!" shouted Vernon in an upset tone.

"You're so mean!" said Yulhee as she looked at Wonwoo with anger.

"Yah, at least you're coming out all-right," said Wonwoo.

"Instead of fighting, why don't we discuss for a talent show after this game over?" Laboum's manager gave a suggestion that made all of the boys and girls looked at him in surprise.

"Talent show?" Yujeong repeated and then nodded by her manager. "Woah, it's been a long time we haven't had that kind of show!" she said with an excitement.

"You like the idea?" asked Scoups to Yujeong and then nodded by her in response. "Alright! Let's give it a call!"

 

***

 

"The map is more complicated and longer than the other two maps for sure," said Woozi as he looked at the map he held during their way to find the treasure.

"Agree," said Joshua after he took a peak of the map. "And we have to be hurry if we want to win the game."

"Yeah, and don't forget to watch out your step," added Soyeon. "The ground is still wet from the raining. We have to be careful so we won't get hurt."

Those four people then walked into the forest in silence as they watched their surrounding properly in case they missed the track.

Dokyeom was so happy to be in the same unit with Soyeon and he could not stop smiling since the came into the forest. He turned his face to see the girl and she was wrapped and rubbed her hands together. It seemed like she was feeling cold. "Nuna, want to hold my hand?" he asked to Soyeon as he offered his hand to her.

Soyeon frowned at the offer while Woozi and Joshua were chuckling in front of them. "I don't feel like to do that," answered Soyeon.

"But it seems like you're feeling cold," Dokyeom said. "I think I can help you to get some warm by holding hands together."

"Ah," Soyeon responded with pinkish cheeks. She did not realize that Dokyeom paid attention to her behavior earlier. She was feeling cold, that was true, but accepting the offer to hold hands was a bit embarrassing so she shook her head. "It's okay. I still can manage it," she said as she smiled reassuringly to the younger boy.

"Here, let me make you a bit warmer," said Woozi then he took off his thick coat and dropped it on Soyeon's shoulders.

"Yah, don't you need this also?" asked Soyeon, did not really agree with Woozi's action.

"Not really. I jut have to move my body every so often to get warm if I feel like I'm getting cold," said Woozi nonchalantly.

"Alright," Soyeon then tightened the coat around her body. "Thank you, Woozi yah!"

Woozi smiled and said, "You're welcome," in response.

Dokyeom puffed his cheeks. He was pretty annoyed to look at the scene between Soyeon and Woozi. I has to be me who get that thank you from Soyeon nuna, he thought with jealousy.

Joshua chuckled seeing the annoyed look on Dokyeom's face then he patted his shoulder lightly and whispered to him, "Maybe next time," as if he knew what was on the younger boy's mind.

Dokyeom just pouted in response.

"Dokyeom ah," called Soyeon that made the boy looked at her quickly. "You really have a good voice! I like your parts in Akkinda very much. You're the best!" she gave her best eye-smile and two thumbs up at Dokyeom who was fluttered after getting the compliment.

"I know right!" exclaimed Woozi, agreeing Soyeon's words. "That's why I put him as our main vocal."

"But you also have a good voice, nuna," said Joshua. "Ah! Why don't you two make a duet?"

"Good idea!" Woozi agreed.

"I'd love too!" Soyeon said. "It'd be an honor for me."

"Me too!" exclaimed Dokyeom then he looked thankfully at Joshua. "Let's make a duet after the game over!"

"Call!" exclaimed Soyeon excitedly. "By the way, where's the treasure? We've walked pretty long but we haven't found it yet."

"We still have to find the forks of the road first and take the right one," said Woozi after looking at the map in his hand. "And it seems like it's still far away from here."

"Should we run a little now?" Dokyeom suggested.

"Why not?" said Joshua.

"Remember to be careful, everyone!" said Soyeon then all of them rushed deeper to the forest.

 

***

 

"Yeay!!! We did it!!!" Solbin shouted happily once her unit found the treasure.

"Let's take a look of it!" said Mingyu as he looked at the medium-sized of wooden box in The8's hands.

"It's locked," The8 said. "Maybe the manager hyungs have the key."

"Now, what are we waiting for?" asked Solbin. "Let's get out of here quickly so we can win the game!"

Without arguing, they started to get back to where the others were. They made it so quickly and they were sure they would be the winner since they got in the forest earlier than the other unit as well. But then...

"Guys, I want to pee," said The8, making his teammates stop their steps.

"Hold it up!" said Mingyu.

"I can't! I think I'm going to pee in my pants if I..."

"Eww, gross!" exclaimed Solbin. "Just go find a place then!"

"But we can lose if we let him pee!" Mingyu protested.

"And you want him to pee in his pants?!" asked Solbin in disbelief.

"Mingyu, I thought we were friends."

"We were friends, we are friends and we will be friends for sure, Minghao yah," said Mingyu, feeling offended by the way The8 talked about their friendship. He took a deep breath then let it out slowly before saying, "Alright. Just go then! We'll be waiting for you here."

"Don't take too long!" warned Solbin as The8 walked to the forest.

Then Mingyu and Solbin waited for The8 in silence. They were all did not talk since they came in the forest because they were too focus to find the treasure so they worked in silence. It was a bit awkward though to be left just two of them.

Solbin was not the silent person but she could not talk freely to someone she had just met like everyone from seventeen and the managers, included Mingyu. And it seemed like they kept on ending up with misunderstanding that would lead them to an argument and she did not like it so she chose to keep quiet.

Mingyu, in the other hand, wanted to talked to Solbin so bad, but he stopped himself to do that after he found the boring look on the girl's face. Does she hate me? He wondered. But he was not the type who could keep on silent so he ended up breaking the ice between them by calling the girl's name.

"Hm?" Solbin responded nonchalantly without turning her face to Mingyu.

"I'm sorry."

Solbin suddenly lifted up her face and looked at Mingyu with a frown. She totally had no idea what was Mingyu sorry for. "Yeah?"

"I'm sorry," Mingyu repeated as he looked at Solbin with a kicked-puppy expression. 

"What are you sorry for?" asked Solbin confusedly.

"I'm sorry for being a bother to you," said Mingyu weakly then he bent down his face to look at his feet. "I dont mean it, really. I'm sorry..."

Solbin's eyes widened then she chuckled which made Mingyu lifted up his face and frowned at her. "That's not a big deal!" said Solving as she waved her hand. "It's normal anyway since we just start knowing each other for a day. There will be some things we don't like from each other, but it's normal," she continued then she smiled at the boy in front of her. "And I think I've been acting rude toward you earlier. Forgive me, yeah?"

Mingyu smiled back at Solbin and then he nodded. "Just like you said, it's okay," he said. He was about to say something more, but then the girl cut him.

"Why he hasn't come back yet?" Solving asked while looking at the way The8 disappeared from their sights.

"Ah, yeah. It's been a while," said Mingyu. "Want me to check him out?"

"Does it mean you're going to go that way and I'm waiting here?" Solbin asked then answered with a nod by Mingyu. "No. I don't want to be left alone," she said.

Mingyu chuckled. "Are you scared?" he teased.

"N-nah," Solbin stuttered in response. "I-I just don't want..."

"Then you have to go with me to check him out," said Mingyu then he grabbed Solbin's hand and led her to the place where The8 went in.

Solbin could not protest even if she wanted to. She did not want to be left alone so she had no other choice than going along with Mingyu. She just could not stop blushing as the boy held her hand so tight as if she could be vanished anytime, and weirdly Solbin felt saved in his hand.

"Yah! Xu Minghao! Where are you?" shouted Mingyu as he directed the flashlight in his other hand to find his band mate. "Answer me if you hear me!"

"Where does he go?" asked Solbin worriedly.

"I don't know," Mingyu said with a worried tone as well. "He won't go deeper to the forest just to pee, right?"

"I guess, but I don't know," replied Solbin.

Mingyu abruptly stopped their step and let go of Solbin's hand. "Give me the map!" he said to her.

"I don't have it," said Solbin as she frowned at Mingyu. "You held the map when we started to come in here."

"God!" Mingyu slapped his forehead pretty hard when he realized something. "I gave it to Minghao..." he said in guilty tone.

"Wow," Solbin was speechless for a while then she continued, "I never knew you can be this genius, Kim Mingyu."

 

***

 

A/N: sorry for the really late update T.T I've put the race since chap 7 til this chap if I'm not mistaken so what're you thinking? Is it good or boring? Next chap will be the of the story, I guess? lol I still don't have any idea yet ><; but I'll work hard to build the story well. All you have to do is waiting for the next update patiently, will you? Omg... I'm so sorry T.T anyway, thank you for still reading and subscribing this fic so far! It really means a lot to me :')