Chapter 15

Can You Love Me?

“We strongly deny that Im Seulong and Son Gain kissing in that photo. They merely hugging closely and we will file a lawsuit for libel and defamation against the photographer that published the series of photos on the net. Our lawyers already prepare to win this case”. Jea sigh and turn off the TV when Gain already opens her eyes. “Yah, how are you right now?”.  Jea walks towards Gain that lying weakly on her bed. The doctors instructed the nurse to checks her blood pressure before he gives prescription. “Doctor, is she gonna be okay?” The doctor sighs and said “I’m afraid to say if this situation continues, we have to schedule her for C-section to take out the baby early. Her condition right now is in danger. You have to tell this to her parent.” Jea walks the doctor and nurse out. Gain overheard their conversation outside her bedroom door. She feels guilty because she bothers everyone around her with her pregnancy. Suddenly she thought of calling Seulong. One time…two time…..three time…. There is no one answer the phone. Is he left me for real?.

 

That month is hell for Gain. She cannot go out any more because her company afraid she will attack by anti-fans that waiting for her outside the apartment complex. Nega Network receives a lot of threat mail and calls from hard core fan turn antis. Thankfully she is accompanies by their manager or her parent at her apartment. “Omma, do you think I will be a good mother?” she said that to her mother out of the blue one day. “Yes, of course dear. You will be a good mother for my grandchild”. “Well, I hope your granddaughter will have your love same as me”. Gain smile to her mother. “Omo, it’s a girl? I have to call your father to tell him this great news”. Her mother is quickly dialing her father number and telling him the news.

 

One day, Gain has an opportunity to sneak out after her mother go to the market early in the morning. She tries to contact her friend inside JYP but they also don’t know where the exact location of Seulong now is. Just they told her that he is not in Korea and they cannot contact him at all. At last, she decides to meet Seulong parent to find out his whereabouts. Ding..Dong “Who is that?” Seulong mother press the security screen and she don’t like of what she see. “What are you doing here? Seulong is not here. He is not in the country. Please go!” Gain not manage to open to ask when Seulong mother start talking harshly. “Omoni, can you at least give me the phone number to contact him there? “ Gain asks earnestly to her. “Omoni? Am I related to you? Do you think he will come back to you if you can contact him? Never!! I’m not allowing that to happen. So now go and don’t come back or I ‘ll call the police”. She stares at the blank screen in front of her and then turns to leave with broken heart.

She blankly wander around the streets when rain pouring heavily that afternoon. She just walks through the rain towards her apartment complexes when unexpectedly a car speeding and almost hit her if not pull by Kwon to the road side. “What are you thinking? Are you crazy? You could’ve died just now!!”Kwon angrilylet her hand go. “Why should you care? Let me die. I don’t care anymore. Seulong don’t care about me anymore.”. Gain sat on the sidewalks and sobbed hurtfully. He cannot contain his heartache when watching Gain bear the sadness by herself. “I won’t let you die. I promise you I will be on your side forever. Did you forget that?” Kwon hugged her on the pouring rain.

 

“Gain-ah, would you marry me?” Kwon is rehearsing this question repeatedly since yesterday. Since their encounter on the rain a month ago, their relationship now is much better than after the accident at Japan. Gain is more open about her feelings and she laughs a lot. She is back to herself. Although there still a ban that forbids Jo Kwon or Seulong to contact Gain, Kwon still can find his way to do so. He really makes an effort to make their relationship works. Even though she just thinks of him as a friend, he will not waver because he knows he is the man that Gain need right now.

 

“Kwon-ah, my mother ask you to come and join us for diner today. Jea and Narsha also come. They want to treat you food”.  “Jeongmal? Arraso, I’ll come by at 6”.This is the opportunity.. I will asked her hand of marriage in front of the most important persons in her life.. God.. Please open her heart to say yes… Kwon pull the drawer and take out the small box then put it on his pocket. This better be perfect..

 

Gain and her mother are busy preparing food when Jea, Narsha and Kwon come together. “Ah, We meet downstairs”. Jea said when asked by Gain. Little that she knows, that Kwon asked for Jea opinion about his proposal to Gain earlier. “Yah, Gain-ah.. I found this cute baby shoes at the mall and I end up buying it”. Narsha smile and handed the paper bag to Gain “Gumawo Unnie…Omo it’s cute”. Gain smiles to Narsha. She is thankful to her unnies, her parent and her company that supporting her. She also comfortable around kwon now and he always there to gives her mental support when she need it the most. Her health improves and doctor expect that his labor due is two weeks from now according to prenatal checkup before.

 

“Could you please sit down for a minute? My head hurt watching you wander around me”.Jea shout at Gain that is clearing up the coffee table and bring another food to consume. “Wae? I just want to eat comfortably” Not caring Jea tones and continue watching drama. “Uh, Omoni.. can you accompany me and Narsha to buy snack. She finishes up all snacks that I bought yesterday. Oh, we can buy other groceries too” “Wae? Ah…Arraso.. Let me change first”. Her mother prepares to go out with Jea and Narsha leaving Gain and Kwon alone. “Yah Kwon-ah, please take care of Gain for a moment” Narsha said to Kwon. She then flashes the OK sign when Gain doesn’t watching and mouth good luck to him. His heart beat vigorously.

 

Awkward silence is engulfing the atmosphere. Kwon then turn to his left staring at Gain. “Yah, I want to eat that too. How could you eat all this by yourself?” “I’m hungry that why” Gain then lied at the couch. “Ah, my back aches. Could you please bring my pillow?” “…” Quietly,Kwon stands and walk to her bedroom and take her beloved pillow. As soon as he handed the pillow to her, she said again “Kwon-ah, can you massage my leg. It aches too”. He looks at her swell feet and massages it slowly. You endure it a lot Gain-ah.. “Yah, what’s with your face? It seems like you will weep in any second”. “Huh, Aniya…” “Kwon-ah can you open the door?”.Gain point to the door towards the balcony. “It so stuffy here” “Arraso..” he then stands again and slide the  door open. Gain stands and walk towards the balcony. The air is really cool and lots of stars on the sky visible that night. “Pretty!” she exclaimed. “Kwon-ah, look at that stars. It’s beautiful isn’t it?” Kwon then take his place beside Gain and hold her right hand.  Gain speechless but she just letting him hold her hand.“Gain-ah, I know this is too sudden for you but please hear me first…” He then kneels in front of her. “Would you marry me?”