Chapter 18

Cold At Night >> 차가운 밤에

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Jung's family, happy birthday to you"

The crowds sang a birthday song for Leo, me, Aecha and Taewoo. The birthday party was planned by omma and Yoomi plus to celebrate Aecha and Taewoo's 7th birthday.

"happy birthday, Aecha and Taewoo" Yoomi hugged the kids.

"thank you, ahjumma" they ran to their friends. I sat at the couch and was joined by Yoomi

"It's nice right, being able to celebrate birthday with everyone" Yoomi sat beside me.

"It did" I chuckled.

"How is Sunggyu behaving? Seems like he's been naughty" I asked her and looked at her baby bump. Yoomi shushed me and laughed at my joke.

"Anyway, congratulations for your 4th child" i hugged her.

"Thank you, donsaeng" Yoomi smiled. It must have been a happy period for Sunggyu and her.

As for me, being with my complete family was the happiest period for me.

Seeing Leo happily playing with the children, made me happy.

They just started living with Leo for 2 years but as if they've been living with him since they were born. Perhaps, that is what we call as 'Family Bond'. Blood is thicker than water.

I remembered there were days that Leo taught Taewoo soccer. They shared their passions together as a son and father.

There were also days where Leo would taught Aecha vocal and piano. His talents really flow into the kids. Their my priority. And God, do I never want those smile to never be gone.

"Yeobo" Leo patted my shoulder.

"Nae?"

"I need to go out for a while"

"But the party is still going" I assured him to stay. It was his birthday anyway.

"I know. Mianhae, but I really need to go. I promise I'll be back" I was reluctant to let him go, I didn't know why. But I let him anyway, it seemed like he had an important thing to do.

***

The clock showed 9.15PM. All the guest just went back. It was a very tiring day. We had to entertain guests. My jaws were tired because I smiled too much.

"Eyra, where is Taekwoon?" Omma asked me.

Yeah, I forgot about him already.

"He said he had to go out for something and that he would be back. But, it's already late" Appa appeared from upstairs.

"Yeobo, did you send Taekwoon for any work?" Omma asked appa, she looked concerned.

"No. Why?"

"Taekwoon, he went out during the party and is still not home" Sunggyu, Yoomi and all the kids came to the living room.

Taewoo and Aecha sat by me.

"Omma, what's wrong, you looked pale" Aecha touched my face.

"Really? Uhm, maybe I'm tired" I smiled at my kids.

Just then, someone rang the door bell.

***

"We're very sorry and good night" The two men left our house.

I could no longer stand. My legs were weak. I could only sat on the sofa and replay the scene.

*flashback*

Sunggyu went and opened the door. There were two men standing. From their outfit, they looked like police.

"Is this the house of Mr Jung Taekwoon?" Leo. I quickly stood up and went to the door. My kids followed me.

"Uri appa. Waeyo ahjussi? (our appa. Why, uncle?)" Taewoo asked. The officers looked at each other. He knelt down and grabbed Taewoo's shoulder.

"eorin-i, neoui appa (child, your appa) is in the hospital right now. He is in a critical condition. He was involved in an accident with a bus. We're here to inform you that"

Immediately I fell on the floor. I was conscious but as if my soul just flew out of me. Sunggyu managed to catch me before i landed on the floor. He brought me to the couch while appa said thank you to the officers.

"We're very sorry and good night"

***

Only appa and Sunggyu went to the hospital. Others waited at home.

I haven't move an inch from the couch. Omma decided that we all should sleep in the living room. It was so spacious that all of us could sleep there. Yoomi and omma placed the mattresses on the floor. I wanted to help so I tried to stand but I end up on the floor.

"Ahjumma!" Baekji and Gyumi, Sunggyu and Yoomi's oldest children helped me to sit back on the couch.

"But I want to help them" I told Baekji,

"We will help them, ahjumma" Gyumi assured me. And they went on helping.

The lights were dimmed. Most of them were already sleeping except me, omma and Yoomi.

I looked at my kids. They cried to their sleep. I saw tears on Taewoo's cheeks. I wiped them off. Aecha, mumbling the word 'appa' in her sleep. My heart was crushed. That was the first time ever I saw Aecha like that.

*Ring Ring* The house's phone rang. Someone called.

Yoomi went and answered the phone.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"..."

"Ah, Gyu oppa. Wae?" After that she looked at me.

"I will tell her. Okay. Annyeong" She hung up the phone and stood there for a while before coming at me.

She sat next to me. Omma came and sat near us.

"Eyra.." She called for my attention. I must have been looking like a zombie.

"Leo. He..." she stopped. My heart was beating twice faster.

Why, what happened. Lord, please, I don't want to lose him. He's my everything. My life.