Chapter 16

Cold At Night >> 차가운 밤에

I recognized the voice. That voice came from behind me, which was from the entrance door.

The voice that froze my whole body. The soft voice that I longed for years. The voice that was so close yet so far from me. The voice of my angel. The voice of Jung Leo.

Ken volunteered to carry Taewoo back to his room while Howon excused himself just to give me and Leo some space.

The silence that filled up the living room. He sat in front of me.

"How are you?" he asked.

"Fine" I avoid from looking at his face. Not because  of I hate him, but I really couldn't. I would cry and the only person that could calm me was him.

He saw a picture of me, Taewoo, Aecha and Howon at a beach.

"Are you married to someone else?" His voice was serious.

"How can I be if i was never divorced to" I heard him mouthing 'Ouh'. I sensed that he wanted to know who Howon is with me.

"He took care of me when I first arrived here"

"Can I ask you something?" I nodded.

"How old are the kids?"

"5. Both. They're twins"

"Since the day you left, it has been 5 years" I kept my mouth shut. God, please give me strength. I couldn't answer nor look at him.

"They are YOUR children, Leo" Howon voiced.

I was still struggling to avoid his eyes. Howon, why did you tell him?

"For five years, and I knew nothing about my children" I knew he was looking straight at me.

"Of course, all you would care about is wealth. Ain't that right?" I didn't know where i got the strength but after i spit those sarcastic words out, I looked straight at him.

i heard him sighed. I stood up and decided to face the sliding door.

"you never give me a chance to explain, Eyra" he stood behind me. his breathing at my neck sent a chill feeling to my nerves. I turned around to face him.

"explain what? everything was there. your name. your amount of wealth. then just admit it that you.."

Again, the thing that happened 5 years ago repeated again. The thing that I have been missing for 5 years. The thing that I would never get or give to anyone.

He managed to keep me silent and speechless with just that. i missed him. i did. i really really did missed him. without me knowing, my tears start to fall.

He end the kiss and hugged me. I couldn't help but to cry because at that moment, I was in the arms of someone I love.

"I admit that I love you, Eyra. True, omma and appa promised me that. But do you really think I would swear to be with you together just because of wealth? Have I not have my own wealth? The house we lived in? The bracelet and the ring. Everything I gave to you was from my own wealth. I didn't even sign the papers because you left me. Without you, all those wealth meant nothing to me" He explained while I was still sobbing on his chest.

***

(Author's POV)

Eyra was put to bed as she suffered from a severe headache due to excessive crying. In the kitchen, Leo and Howon were discussing about something. Ken had left for he had a schedule early in the morning.

"How did you get here?" Howon asked.

"I followed Ken. I knew he must have been in contact with Eyra. I heard him talking to her on the phone" Howon nodded, satisfied with Leo's answer. He could see that in Leo's mind, he was wondering who Howon was to Eyra.

"You don't have to worry. I am just Eyra's cousin. I took care of her ever since she came here" Howon explained to Leo.

"I am so sorry for the trouble I have caused you after all this years. If you don't mind, I would like to continue my responsibility" Leo was avoiding Howon's sight. Perhaps he was embarrassed of what would Howon thought of him.

"Of course, she's yours. They're yours. But you must remember, Eyra have been hurt once, and now you know how far she could go" Howon sipped his tea

"I know. And I regretted everything. I've missed the first moment they were born. Their first step. Their first word. Do they even know me?" Leo sounded worried. Howon chuckled.

"Eyra may have ran away from your house, from your embrace. But her heart never did. Let me tell you a story."

*flashback*

"Mr Lee Howon, may I asked what is your relationship with Mrs Jung Eyra?" the woman adjusted her glass looked into Howon's eyes.

"She's my cousin. What's wrong with her doctor?" Apparently the woman with glass was a doctor.

"I looked at your names and found that your surnames are different. However, I am delightful to congratulate you on Mr Jung's behalf and Mrs Jung Eyra that she is pregnant" Howon's eyes were opened wide.

On their way home, Eyra was so happy that she couldn't kept shut.

"Imagine if I have twins. A girl and a boy. Which one will follow my traits, a girl or a boy? But normally it would be a boy who will follow his mom's traits, right? The girl will surely follow her dad.." Her voice slowly died. Howon knew why, so he decided to say some advice.

"You shouldn't be here alone, Eyra. You're pregnant and you need his accompany" Eyra just kept herself quiet.

"Would you want your child not to know who his or her father is?"

"They will know. I'll keep him in some part of his or her mind. Same like I did to myself" Her last sentence were almost inaudible but Howon heard it anyway.

*flashcback ends*

(Leo's POV)

"So you see, Leo. Your children knows your name, they recognizes your face and your voice. Eyra has been putting you in their life since they were babies. She said she did that for the sake of her children. But deep down, I know, she misses you and that was the only way for her to hear your voice and see your face" Howon explained to me.

"Can I ask from you one thing?" I looked directly into his eyes.

***

"Here, Aecha and Taewoo's birth certificates. Why did you asked for it?" Howon handed me the certificates. I didn't answer his question. I looked on some important details that I wanted to know.

On  Aecha's birth certificate:

NAME : JUNG AECHA

GENDER : FEMALE

DATE / TIME OF BIRTH :  11 - NOVEMBER - 2010 / 12:10 AM

FATHER'S NAME : JUNG TAEKWOON

On Taewoo's birth certificate:

NAME : JUNG TAEWOO

GENDER : MALE

DATE / TIME OF BIRTH : 10 - NOVEMBER - 2010 / 11:56 PM

FATHER'S NAME : JUNG TAEKWOON

The date of their birth was the same like me and Eyra's. Mine on the 10th November and Eyra on the 11th November. If only all this chaos never happened, our family could be the most beautiful family ever.

"How did you manage to put my name on?" I asked. I was grateful that Eyra had saved some part of me for the children.

"The officer at the Birth Registration Department did asked where were you. It was Eyra who answered. She said you had to work out of the country and couldn't make it back." I was grateful that Eyra had saved some part of me for the children.