The Tension Builds

The Forgotten Band

Reactions to Minhyun’s post varied.

Some targeted S.Coups, saying that he’s “trash” and should not be allowed to be part of the idol industry.

Some targeted NU’EST, saying that it was wrong of them to reveal that information, and that they should be ashamed of themselves.

Some defended NU’EST, saying that the group was justified in defaming S.Coups. Many were blown away by NU'EST, and by the way the riddle was constructed to trick them into answering one thing when the answer was something else entirely different.

It had so many varying responses; there was not one popular opinion like there usually is. Everyone was spilt between criticizing NU’EST or S.Coups, talking about either the riddle or the photos.

The police in Japan had started a search party for NU’EST. They were called to the police station on charges of defamation and online harassment. But it's been a week now, and no one could find them.

S.Coups, on the other hand, was also to be taken into custody. The pictures that NU’EST had revealed showed that he had been in possession of illegal substances, which was enough for the police to issue an arrest warrant.

Junghan sighed. This was crazy. Everything was crazy right now. S.Coups was not in his right mind. Ever since that one night, he was paranoid about opening windows and having members leave the dorm, and now after reading Minhyun’s recent post, he went even crazier. The members tried to speak to him, but he wouldn’t talk to any of them. He looked shaken and depressed, and it that Junghan felt like he could do absolutely nothing to help.

Minhyun’s revelations were not only a shock to Korea, but also to some of the members. The members were aware of S.Coup’s addiction to and older women (it wasn’t exactly easy for S.Coups to hide that), but they weren’t aware of the drugs or the extramarital affairs.

Junghan, being the oldest one in the group now that S.Coups went haywire, had called for a group meeting without S.Coups. There was some tension building in the group, and Junghan felt like they needed to talk it out.

“Okay everyone. Things are difficult right now for us,” Junghan had announced. “In times like these, we have to stick together. We can’t let some jealous sunbaes bring us down. We’re more popular than them, remember?”

“Not anymore,” Hoshi reminded Junghan.

“That’s just a phase,” Junghan ascertained, “they’ll be in jail soon, so we don’t have to worry about them anymore.”

“So will S.Coups,” Hoshi added, “he did illegal drugs, remember.”

Junghan rolled his eyes at Hoshi. Couldn’t Hoshi just cooperate? He looked around to see the face of the younger members. They looked so scared, traumatized almost. Everything Seventeen had ever worked for somehow seemed at stake right now; of course they were scared. Hell, they were terrified.

Even Junghan was terrified, but he knew he had to pull himself together for the group. S.Coups failed to stay sane, and so Junghan felt it was his responsibility to do so, to be an example for them.

“What will happened to Seventeen?” Minghao asked Junghan.

“Nothing,” Junghan reassured, “don’t worry. We’ll stay strong.”

“You know, I think it would help if you don’t lie,” Vernon said, “I think they need to know that Seventeen will not emerge out of this scandal unscathed.”

Junghan huffed. So much for trying to stay positive.

“Okay, here’s the deal,” Junghan said, “we’re in a ty situation. I don’t know what will happen, but we can’t freak out. We’ll give NU’EST exactly what they want if we freak out.”

“What do they want, exactly?” Seungkwan asked.

“I don’t know,” Junghan responded, “they’re just trying to ruin Seventeen because they’re jealous and hateful. We can’t let them win this fight. We have to stay positive.”

“I have a question,” Vernon said, looking around to each and every member, “whose mom was it?”

It was a question that was on Junghan’s mind too. He didn’t know. He hadn’t the slightest idea. He shuddered at the thought of S.Coups with another member’s mother.

The room fell quiet. Every member was looking around to other members suspiciously.

After a good ten seconds of silence, Junghan spoke up to stop the awkwardness of thinking about this disturbing image, “we don’t have to know. The member probably does not want to talk about it, which is understandable.”

Or,” Vernon continued, “it’s one of our moms, but we don’t know. It could be your mom for all you know," Vernon said to Junghan.

“No, it’s not,” Junghan with repugnance. He was absolutely positive his mom would not sleep with S.Coups.

“Not my mom either,” Vernon said confidently.

“Nor mine,” Hoshi added.

A chain of denial proceeded, each and every single member stoutly claiming that his own mother would not do it.

“Either someone is lying,” Vernon said suspiciously, “or someone doesn’t know that their mom is a cheating, lying pedo...”

“Or,” Junghan chimed in, “it could be that NU’EST is lying. They didn’t offer any proof for that part.”

“If they were, then wouldn’t S.Coup’s have denied it?” Seungkwan asked curiously. “He seemed to just accept it when he read it. He reacted with guilt, which means he did it”

“S.Coups is not in his right mind now,” Junghan responded, “we can’t take him seriously.”

“Maybe,” Seungkwan responded, “but if it is true, then honestly, S.Coups loses all of my respect."

More members nodded in agreement, and Junghan felt cornered. He was really trying hard to keep the group together, but it seems like that was hard given the circumstances.

“Let’s not judge him until we hear from his mouth that he did it,” Junghan suggested, “For now, we have to support S.Coups because he’s going through a difficult time.”

The members did not seem to heed Junghan’s suggestion of not judging S.Coups as well as they heeded Seungkwan. Junghan could see that all of them were ambivalent about their leader now, especially the younger ones.

Junghan felt like there was no way that the Seventeen members could channel all the negative energy and sort it out like they usually did. There was just so much tension in the air between them, and no one was calm and composed enough to deal with it. Not even himself. All Junghan wanted to do was lay down and groan and wait for whatever this was to unfold. The uncertainty of the situation was maddening.

“Junghan’s right,” Joshua said, much to Junghan’s fleeting relief, “we need to stay together through all of this, and we can’t turn our back on S.Coups.”

“Hey Josh, you know Aron, right?” Vernon said.

“Yes, I know him,” Joshua responded, “he’s a friend.”

“You still consider that a friend?”

“Yes, I do,” Joshua replied, “because I don’t want to judge anyone before knowing what’s going on. That same goes for S.Coups.”

“It’s clear that Aron and his nugu group are in cahoots to destroy Seventeen,” Vernon replied.

“Whatever the situation,” Joshua responded calmly, “I will judge him after I talk to him next…”

“Are you seriously saying that?” Wonwoo looked to Joshua, “are you seriously taking their side?”

“No!” Joshua confirmed, “I’m just saying we shouldn’t be too quick to judge…”

“I think you’re being too unreasonably kind to them,” Wonwoo scoffed.

“Wonwoo you don’t even know them,” Joshua defended.

“I’m pretty sure what we saw of them is enough for us to say they’re s,” Mingyu came to Wonwoo’s defense.

Joshua frowned and crossed his arms and fell silent.

“Guys…” Junghan whined, “We shouldn’t be fighting now.”

“But Joshua’s on their side…”

“I’m not on their ing side!” Joshua yelled. It was so uncharacteristic of him to yell let alone cuss. The whole room fell silent as the tension between them built with every passing second.

Junghan felt like any attempt at alleviating the tension would be futile, “group meeting over,” he announced in defaat. He dashed out of the room, wanting to get as far away from s as possible.

When will this end? he thought in frustration.


A/N: word on the street is that Seventeen is preparing for a January comeback. It's happenining guys don't say I didn't warn you lol :P