(_|_)b

효태 Short Stories Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Recollection

--

 

Today’s the day — Hyoyeon was sure of herself. It has been twenty years, no? She checked the day, the month and the year. It has got to be the day. Today that is. Thank goodness that is a Sunday. A day where both of them are off from their workplace. It’s a perfect day to go for a date too as well. She unplug her phone from charging on the nightstand and proceed to walk out from the bedroom since the other side of the bed was empty. There was no sign of another being at the living room yet she could smell the sweet aroma of morning coffees at the kitchen. She was no longer surprised upon running into her girlfriend only in their undies and that loose shirt where she never figured out where they got it from.

 

Either way, it was breathtaking. Her girlfriend, Taeyeon of course.

 

“Yah, Taeyeonie.” She spoke before she yawned.

 

“Hyoyeonie!” Taeyeon exclaimed as she faced the sluggish former. “You’re awake! I made us coffee.” She indicated Hyoyeon to come closer.

 

Hyoyeon gave a smile in return and slowly made their way to give a cuddly hug from behind, only to end up burying their face on Taeyeon’s neck. “I’m taking you out today.”

 

“I was just about to say that.” Taeyeon pouted, Hyoyeon always beats her to it. She then proceeded to give them a little pat. “Where are you taking me today?”

 

“The park.”

 

Taeyeon sighed a smile in defeat. “You’ve read my mind again.”

 

“I guess you know what day it is today too, huh?” Hyoyeon lifted up her head and gave a victory kiss for the smiling one.

 

“I don’t think I’ll ever forget.”

 

-*-

 

“Hyoraeng! Are you alright?” Taeyeon came running towards her friend who happened to trip over a rock. She was close to tears but her heart soothes as soon as she received that favourite smile of hers.

 

Hyoyeon laughed when noticing the close to tears friend of hers. “I’m okay, Taengu ah. Don’t worry!” She reassured them whilst giving a pat on their head.

 

After Taeyeon helped her friend to get back up on their feet, she picked up the fallen box and extended a hand for the other. “Let’s find a perfect spot to bury this box.” She firmly squeezed Hyoyeon’s hand when they were about to sped off again. “Without running, Hyoraeng ah!”

 

“Sorry.” Hyoyeon giggled again and pulled Taeyeon with her to walk around the park.

 

They came across a lot of distraction along the way such as the ice cream stall and their favourite swings but they managed to pass through all of it smoothly since they remind each other of the box they had with them. After all of those little adventures around the park, they finally found a spot where they realized have less people.

 

“Here!” Hyoyeon began to stomp in excitement at a spot. “This is perfect!”

 

Unfortunately Taeyeon was a bit upset about the spot chosen by her friend. “Out of all the places, Hyoraeng ah. Do we have to pick a spot near a trash can?”

 

“I’m sure there wouldn’t be a trash can here twenty years later, Taengu ah!” Hyoyeon laughed and Taeyeon pouted in defeat. “Alright, we have to hurry up. Our mothers will pick us up in about an hour, right?”

 

“Right!”

 

They quickly took off their backpacks, taking out small shovels and gave each other smiles before they started to dig a hole. Due of the place being sort of deserted compared to the other side of the park, no one talked to them nor saw what they were doing. After sometime, they have finally dug a hole that was able to fit in the box they had with them. Taeyeon carefully put the box inside as Hyoyeon volunteered to bury it afterwards.

 

“And we’re done!” Hyoyeon exclaimed as she let go of the shovel and sat next to Taeyeon who was as sweaty as she was. “Do you think we will remember this box twenty years later, Taengu ah?”

 

“Don’t worry, Hyoraeng. I will remind you and you will remind me about it. Every day until it’s twenty years already!” Hyoyeon looked unsure so Taeyeon gave a kiss on the cheek for them. “We will still be friends twenty years later, Hyoraeng if that’s what you’re wondering.”

 

Hyoyeon smiled at her friend with flushed cheeks. “I love the sound of that!”

 

“But one thing worries me, Hyoraeng chu. Will we remember this spot? We’ve only come to this side of park for the first time.” Taeyeon puckered her lips after she finished her sentence.

 

“Oh!” Hyoyeon spotted something not far from them. She quickly ran to pull out the signboard nearby and jabbed it on top of the buried box. “I think this will do it, Taengu yah!”

 

“Do not litter?”

 

Hyoyeon laughed. “Yup, we’ll definitely remember this spot!”

 

“Geez.” Taeyeon blushed at the sight of her friend laughing. “Oh, we have to give these shovels back to gardener ahjussi tomorrow okay, Hyoraeng chu?”

 

“Yeshu, Taengu chu.”

 

-*-

 

“You’re right.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“About the trash can.” Taeyeon attempted to flash an eye-smile as she squeezed their holding hands. “It’s not here anymore.”

 

Hyoyeon smiled as she looked at the spot where the trash can was twenty years ago. She then sat on the ground with her girlfriend in front of the signboard. “Shall we start digging?”

 

“Not just yet!” Taeyeon quickly opened her backpack. She took out a pair of gloves and made Hyoyeon to wear it together with her before passing the small shovel to them. “Alright, we’re all set.”

 

“Taeyeonie, wouldn’t it be amusing if the box is not here any longer?” Hyoyeon asked minutes after starting with the digging.

 

Taeyeon laughed at it. “I don’t think anyone knows there is a box buried in here, Hyoyeonie.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter