(_|_)

효태 Short Stories Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Mistake

--

 

 

Hyoyeon's eyes fly open. She a breath in and stares up at the ceiling, seeing the outline of the ceiling lamp in the predawn light. She slowly turns her face to the side, confirming that it is barely past 6 a.m.

 

“Stupid dream.” She groans.

 

Or at least she first thought it had been a part of her dream, but when she hears her two dogs growls at the foot of the bed, she knows something is up. Then, she hears it again. Her heart jumps widely, her eyes widening in fear. She reaches for her phone, that lies on the bedside table, quickly unlocks it and starts to dial the emergency services number before hearing another sound. She frowns, realizing that the sound is not loud enough to come from inside of her house, but she can still hear it clearly, which means that it comes from somewhere near her house, so she throws the comforter off her and stands up. Her phone still in her right hand, she grabs her white bathrobe from the back of the chair with her other hand and starts walking out of her bedroom. She hears quick steps behind her and turns around.

 

“Barbara, Vivian. You two stay here.” She orders, while putting her bathrobe on.

 

The two dogs whine, but do as told. Hyoyeon carefully steps closer to the window, giving her a perfect view on the front of her house and sees a small figure on the pathway to her front door. She squints her eyes, internally cursing herself for forgetting her glasses, but thanks to the street light, Hyoyeon notices that it is a woman. She can see and barely hear the woman shout something in her direction. She doesn't have time to wonder who this woman is, that she sees something in her hands.

 

“What the-”

 

Hyoyeon strides towards the front door, grabbing her keys in the bowl on her way there and unlocks the door. She has had enough. She had taken a week off to relax, to forget about her job and on the first day, a perfect stranger has the nerves to throw eggs at her house? She won't let this go unpunished. She has her limits. She furiously opens the door, progressively hearing the stranger's voice, confirming that it is indeed a woman.

 

“... Not doing this again!”

 

“Yah!” Hyoyeon yells.

 

After she has yelled, something seems to snap inside the other woman and the egg slips from her right hand. Hyoyeon stares at the woman in disbelief as the latter tries to catch the egg before it falls to the ground, only to be smashed between her two hands.

 

“.” The black-haired woman mutters before looking up at her. “W- Who are you? Where is Tiffany?!”

 

It is the first time Hyoyeon gets a good view of the woman, who seems to be drunk, judging by the way she struggles to stay still. She wears a black and white checkered shirt and a pair of black jeans, or is it dark blue? She can't tell from where she stands. They are probably the same height. Hyoyeon can't quite tell her age as she looks so young and somewhat cute. Wait, what is she thinking? She can't find this stupid woman, who has thrown eggs at her house, cute.

 

“What the heck are you talking about? Who's Tiffany?”

 

“Tiffany Hw-” The woman suddenly stops, her eyes leaving Hyoyeon's, to gaze at something behind her. “Oh crap I- I'm so sorry, I... I thought it was written 81.”

 

Hyoyeon's eyebrows furrow in confusion and she cast a look behind her and realizes what the woman had meant when she sees the number on her house facade. She looks back at the black-haired woman, a slight annoyed expression on her face and steps forward, all the while keeping her eyes locked on the other woman. She can see, the guilt and the shame in those beautiful brown eyes. Her inability to maintain eye-contact with her makes Hyoyeon smirk.

 

“I'm- I'm sorry please don't call the police, I... I'll clean everything.”

 

When Hyoyeon is less than a step away from the begging woman, it confirms her thought. She follows the other woman's fearful gaze, noticing that her phone screen still displaying the emergency number and the only thing she need to do is press the green phone button. She locks it and puts it in her pocket.

 

“You're really drunk, aren't you?” She asks.

 

“I'm not!” The woman protests.

 

“Then explain how you can mistake the number 31 and 81?”

 

The wide-eyed girl swallows with difficulty and the more time she takes to answer, the bigger the smile on Hyoyeon's lips grows.

 

“I- It just looks alike... A lot.”

 

Hyoyeon hums. “And tell me, what did this Tiffany do to deserve getting eggs thrown at her house?”

 

“It's stupid, it's... There's this person and she thinks I like them.” She starts, looking up to Hyoyeon, who lifts her eyebrows and quickly adds. “Which I don't! There's just no chemistry between us and we keep fighting and Tiffany thinks it means that I like them, so she set me up on a blind date. Obviously it didn't work out, since I don't like her... Them! I don't- I just don't like this person at all.”

 

Hyoyeon watches, slightly amused by the slip as the other woman nervously passes her hand through her jet black hair.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter