A Question of Liking

Somehow, Somewhere There Is Love

“Oi, hyung Jung-eng noona bought you these.” Jungkook said, as he entered the practice room with a bag of full of snacks. Not bothering to lift his head up from the magazine he was currently flipping through, V waved his hands at the youngest member, “tell her to go away.”

“Don’t worry hyung, she left already.” Jungkook had positioned himself down on the middle of the room as he began sorting through the goods.

The mindless flipping came to a halt as he stared at Jungkook, “you serious?” It was hard to believe that Jung-eng wouldn’t come flying through the doors to the practice room with her stupid, gummy smile as she shouted “Taehyung oppa.”

 “Yep, caught her just as she was about to leave.” This was odd, and completely out of her character. Why would she come all the way here just to leave without seeing him? He pulled out his phone. Yeah, she most likely sent a message asking if he had fallen in love with her yet.   

No new messages. Okay, maybe something was up with her.

“Maybe she’s getting tired of V,” Jhope emerged from the corner of his little self-made studio, eyes scanning the pile of snack Jungkook had diligently stacked.

“You think so? I mean hyung could be a real jerk sometimes. I’d believe it if she was getting tired of him.”

“Yeah, she’s probably trying to ease him off. Jung-eng seems like a real nice girl. Jin said she bought him a new pretzel because she accidently knocked his out of his hand, then she made us those lunches, and now she brings enough snacks for all of us.”

Jungkook nodded his head in agreement, unaware of the hole currently being burned through their heads as they speak.

“But you know, it’s kind of weird, or rather Jung-eng noona is kind of weird. Don’t you think so V hyung?”

V quickly grabbed the abandoned magazine pretending as he had been absorbed in it the entire time, “what?”

“Jung-eng noona,” Jungkook repeated her name as if V hadn’t already knew they were talking about her. “Don’t you think she’s a little weird? Like compared to all of the other fan girls, she doesn’t quite strike me as one.”

It was true that Jung-eng had always strike him as a little odd, heck her first appearance was incredibly different from anything he had ever experience. Whereas most of his fangirls shyly waited for him, she was shouting to the entire campus, but he figured it was because she was a little crazy. She had to be crazy to pull such a stunt, there was no other solution.

“I mean, sure she meets all the requirement of a ‘fan girl’ but there’s something in how she sometimes look at you that makes me doubt if she’s actually your fangirl,” Jungkook continued, he had always been the more observant one.

Now that Jungkook mentioned it, she did send him death glares an awful lot, especially for someone who was supposedly “madly in love” with him. She also scoffed a lot at him as well and let’s not forget her eye rolls. She didn’t think he caught on to those did she? How couldn’t he when she made them so obvious.

“Not to mention how she didn’t even know Taeyeon noona was your sister,” Jungkook added.

“Omo, you don’t think she’s faking this whole thing?” Jhope suddenly screamed, throwing the candy bar he had been munching on up into the air.  

“Yah, why would she fake being my fangirl?” V may not like Jung-eng very much, but he still had his pride. Jhope was implying that he didn’t have what it take to make Jung-eng be a real fangirl, which was absurd.

“I’m handsome and talented, what more could she want?”

Jungkook and Jhope remained silent, “Whatever,” he scoffed.

“Hey, where are you going? Jin, Rapmon, and Suga are coming in a bit. We have to practice,” Jhope shouted after V who stormed towards the exit.

“Tell hyungs I’ll make it up to them. Something needs to be sorted out first,” he hollered, not sparing a glance back at the confused duo sitting on the ground.

“Yah hyung, don’t you think V hyung is weird too?”

“Hmm?”

“I mean, he has tons of fangirls, but Jung-eng’s the first one he has ever allowed to get this close to him. I mean I’m even calling her noona? Even Yoongi hyung is totally fine with her and he hates fangirls.”

“Hmm, go on,” Jhope signal Jungkook to continue.

“Sure he makes a scene every time she appears and he never forgets to add how much he loathes her, but he never makes her go away. I just think that maybe-“

“Wait, you’re not actually suggesting that V might like Jungeng?” The thought was too absurd for Jhope to fathom. There was no way V could like Jungeng, nothing personal against Jungeng or anything, but V has just always been so vocal about disliking her and besides, “then what about Irene noona?”

“He could still like her too,” Jungkook shrugged, “it’s not wrong to like more than one person. It becomes wrong when you tell both of them you like them and I’m not saying he likes Jungeng noona, I’m just saying there could be a slight possibility that he may have grown to like her. And besides Irene noona clearly does not reciprocate V’s feeling.”

“What?”

“Yeah, you haven’t notice it at all? She’s totally crushing on someone else and that person doesn’t even know it.”

“Who?” And as if on cue, Jin walked through the door, a dreamy smile plastered on his face.

“Yo Jin hyung how was your study date?” 

“Date? No, it wasn’t a date.” Jin stuttered, his face turning bright red from Jungkook’s remark.

Buzz. Buzz.

“Hmm?”

Joy looked at her phone in disbelief. Was the Kim Taehyung texting her?

-We need to talk.

“That’s it? No hello? How was your day?” She scoffed, he could have at least thanked her for the snacks, but the mere fact that V had texted her had made her stomach tangle up in knots and if Joy was paying attention she might have realized those knots felt very much like butterflies in her stomach. 

-Sorry oppa, but I’m busy right now.

It wasn’t necessarily a lie, as she was currently sitting on a bench waiting for the bus to take her back to her side of town.

-We need to talk.

What was with him?

-Does oppa miss me?

She covered her face with her hand, gah it sounded so cheesy, but did he? Was he missing her lack of appearances? She wasn’t trying anything with him, but she honestly had been feeling sort of down ever since the incident with his other fangirls. Girls could be so mean sometimes and as much as she tried to

-Cut the crap Jung-eng, I’ll be waiting for you.

“Oh god,” she thought, did he find out about Irene’s liking for Jin? Was Jin in the hospital? She hoped V hadn’t done anything stupid. Speaking of Irene, what the heck was she even doing? She should have sorted all of the nonsense long ago, but no she just had to be slow as a turtle with her confession.

“Yerim! Kim Yerim!” The loud, shrill voice of Irene was heard as she stormed into the apartment they resided in.

“Yah, unnie why are you screaming?” Yeri, whose appearance looked as if she had just woken up from a nap stumbled out of her room as she scratched her disheveled hair.

“Help me,” the look on Irene’s face was enough to wake the tired Yeri up and she immediately dialed for backup. A distressed Irene needed more than a mere sixteen year old girl.

 

“Where’s Joy?” Yeri asked upon opening the door and only seeing the 94 liners shivering in the cold.

“She went to go deliver some snacks to V and the crew. Said she was going to be back soon, but I don’t know what’s taking her so long,” Seulgi replied as she slipped past Yeri into the comfort of the heated apartment. Yeri wanted to question Joy’s actions, but decided now was not the time as there seemed to be a more pressing matter on hand.

“It’s freezing outside. What’s up with s.o.s?” Wendy asked soon after spotting Irene sitting motionless on the couch.

“Irene’s a little out of it.”

“Is she sick?” The mother in Wendy quickly rushed to feel the forehead of Irene, “hmm she feels find to me.”

“I’m not sick Wendy,” Irene said as she lightly pushed Wendy’s hand from her head, “it’s Jin.”

The trio glanced at each other, figures.

“I don’t know what to do. I can’t tell if he likes me. I’ve tried everything, I give him my best smile, I laugh at everything he says, I bat my eyelashes, and sometimes I even use aegyo in my voice. Do you know how much I hate aegyo?”

Irene was frustrated, her vivid hands danced as she explained her hardship. It was rare to see Irene so distraught, “why? Why doesn’t he like me? What am I doing wrong?”

“I’m trying so hard, but it seems like the harder I try the further he becomes,” she finally broke.

“Yah, Bae Juhyun,” Wendy comforted as she sat down beside the crying girl and pulled her into a hug.

“This is no way for Bae Juhyun to act. Bae Juhyun doesn’t cry over a boy.”

“Wendy’s right Juhyun. You shouldn’t cry over a boy,” Seulgi added as she joined the duo on the cough, followed by a worried Yeri, her mind currently working in overtime as she tried to assess the situation. There was only one way to get Irene out of her little stump, the only problem was if Irene was going to agree with it.

Once the tears were gone and a laughing Irene had overtaken the crying Irene, Yeri finally spoke her thoughts.

“Irene unnie,” the unnies turned their attention to the maknae.

“I think you should tell Jin how you feel.”

“Hear me out here unnie. It’s not fair on Jin’s part, he’s a boy and boys are stupid. He’s not going to pick up on any of the “hints” you’ve been dropping and even if he does he might not be saying anything because of the whole V thing.”

“I agree, Yeri’s right unnie. You need to stop all this dropping hints thing and just straight up tell him.”

“But what if he doesn’t like me?”

“You’re Bae Juhyun unnie! So what if one measly boy doesn’t like you. You can get any other guy in the world. It’s not like Jin’s the last guy on earth.”

Irene thought for a moment, they were right. She’ll confess her feelings once and for all.

“Alright, I’m going to do it,” she said standing up.

“What? Right now?”

“I have to do it now while I still have the courage too,” Irene smiled sheepishly.

Joy couldn’t believe she dragged herself back to their campus for him. What did he even want with her that he couldn’t say over text, or waited till the next time she decided to show herself? Spotting him standing underneath a tree, she put her best smile on.

“Oppa! Taehyung oppa!” She shouted as she made a dash towards him but was stopped in her tracks when her forehead ran straight to his hands.

“Stop.”

“Ow,” she whined rubbing the pain on her forehead, what was his problem with her forehead?

“Yah Park Jung-eng, answer me truthfully, are you just pretending to be my fangirl?”

“Eh?”  What was he talking about? Why the sudden question? It couldn’t be, right? He couldn’t possibly have found out about their little plan right? But if he had, he definitely wouldn’t be coming to her first, her pretending to be his fangirl would be his last priority.

Eyeing him, she tried to search for any answers in his eyes. He didn’t look like someone who had received devastating news, which is what she imagine the news would be like for him when he found out that Irene was heads over heels for his hyung.

Until Irene and Jin were mentioned, she figured she’d play it safe, “what are you talking about oppa?”

“Oppa really thinks I’m pretending to be his fangirl? I’m hurt,” she tried her best to fake being hurt, but maybe she should have taking those acting classes Yeri was offering her. Her acting clearly wasn’t good, because he didn’t budge and instead bent down to her level, his tone the most serious she had ever heard him, “Do you really like me that much?”

“Or course I do oppa,” she exclaimed, but she could see that he didn’t believe her.

“For some reason, I just don’t believe you,” he voiced and Joy bit her lips nervously. What was she to say now? It wasn’t that she didn’t like him, it’s just, well things were complicated and it wasn’t like he liked her anyways so why was it so important if she liked him.

“You’re not telling me some-“ she didn’t let him finish, as she crashed her lips onto his. It had happened so fast that she didn’t have time to stop herself and when she finally comprehended her actions she broke away in shock. Her mind tried to tell her she did not just kiss him, but the way he was staring back at her told her otherwise. Not waiting for him to say anything, she backed away and made a run for it. She sparred no glance back to the wide eyed boy who was left starring at her disappearing back, before slowly bringing his fingers to touch his lips. 


Omo, Joy kissed V. What now?