The Start of It

Somehow, Somewhere There Is Love

They say a woman’s intuition is never wrong, and right now Irene’s gut was telling her that Kim Taehyung aslo known as V, the campus residential heart throb, had his eyes set on her. Sure, it was flattering that the school’s heart throb liked her, but she didn’t feel the same about him. No, Bae Irene was head over heels for Jin, V’s hyung.  

Some could say she was conceited for thinking that V actually liked her, but she knew. She knew the moment she saw him waiting outside of one of her lectures. She had just fished out her phone from her bag when she saw him make his way towards her. He smiled at her, so naturally she smiled back at him. It was a mistake on her part. If only she had just ignored him and walked pass him, but one couldn’t possibly take back what had already been done.

He didn’t confess straight away, no V knew how to court a girl and so began their journey as occasional friends, something Irene wanted to keep it at.

She didn’t mind V, in fact she liked him. He was a great dongsaeng to her. He was the little brother she had always wanted, well almost, except for the fact that he was a little possessive over her. He was subtle in his moves and once or twice Irene caught him winking at her. She did the best her best to avoid awkward eye contact and unnecessary skin ship. She always made sure to keep her distance when walking beside him and she made sure she was never alone with him, but despite all that he didn’t take the hint and even when she refused the flowers and gifts he gave her, they somehow always ended up in her hands. If he did take notice of her actions, he ignored them and continued befriending her, continued courting her by always appearing randomly with flowers or buying her snacks.  

However, it was because of V that she got to be around Jin. Just being around Jin was enough for her and for that she was thankful. However, it wasn’t long before she caught word of V’s jealousy. Every boy who showed an interest in her quickly found out the hard way that she was not available.

She had to put a stop to it. It wasn’t like she was leading him on, because she certainly was not, but he hadn’t exactly confessed to her as well. She tried avoiding him, but it never really work out. He was always there. She couldn’t tell Jin how she felt either. She never had a moment alone with him, because quite frankly V was always with them. It was becoming clear that V was somehow marking Irene as his and she needed to quickly stop it before it was too late. Gossip was already spreading that she was his “girl” and if she wanted any chance with Jin, because Jing was probably aware of everything going on, she needed to stop V.

“What to do?” Irene asked out loud to no one in particular.

“What’s the matter?” Wendy, one of Irene’s friend asked as she came into Irene’s room with a bowl of ice cream she had fished from the fridge in Irene's apartment.

“Hmm…I think a dongsaeng of mine likes me.”

“Who?”

“V.”

“V? As in the Kim Taehyung, the school’s bad boy/heart throb/ulzzang?” Yeri, Irene’s cousin who had come to stay with Irene for school, asked walking in.  

“How did you know that?” Wendy asked sending Yeri a confused look. Yeri was a mere high school student and how she knew of Irene’s campus heartthrob amazed her.

“It’s all over their school website. V along with his little group of friends. They go by BTS don’t they?” Irene nodded her head.

“What’s so bad about V liking you if he’s the school’s heart throb?” Wendy turned her attention to Irene.

“I mean if my school’s campus heart throb liked me I think I would be flattered.” Wendy continued.

“But Wendy, we go to an all-girls college.” Seulgi innocently stated, the girl had been sitting quietly on the bed listening to their talk.

Wendy threw a pillow at the slightly older girl, “I was just saying that if any school’s heart throb liked me I would be flattered. And besides, to be labeled as the school’s heart throb he has to be handsome right?” Wendy asked.

“I don’t see the problem here Irene, if you don’t like V, then just tell him.” Seulgi voiced, not fully seeing what was making Irene so stressed.

“Right. Why are you sulking so much over this?” Wendy agreed.

“Well you see, he hasn’t actually confessed to me yet, but before you guys jump down my throat, I am 100% sure he likes me and I really like him as a dongsaeng you know. I don’t want anything weird to happen between us.”

The three girls stared at her. It was already too late, from what they were hearing, their relationship was already a weird one.

“And I like Jin.” She softly mumbled.

“What? You like Jin?” Yeri shouted, choking on her drink.   

Patting the chocking girl,” Wendy gave Irene a confused look.

“V and Jin are both in a band together. The band is really close to each other, they’re practically brothers.”  

“That’s why you’re still hanging out around V.” Yeri said once she regained her breathing and Irene felt like a horrible person. How else was she supposed to see Jin if she didn’t hang around V?

“But I do like V, just not like that.” She didn’t know how many times she would have to defend herself. V was honestly a really fun person to hang out with.

“So let me get this straight, V likes you, but you like Jin who’s apparently in the same band as V?” Wendy asked and Irene nodded her head.

“Then why not just tell Jin?”

“I can’t.” Irene cried.

“And why not?” Wendy crossed her arms, not comprehending any of this.

“If you reject V you’re afraid Jin won’t like you because you would have broken V’s heart?” Seulgi reasoned, and Irene was genuinely surprised that Seulgi, who was usually the last one to get understand anything, had perfectly spoke what was bothering her.  

Irene nodded her head. It pained her to say that the only relationship she had with Jin was through V. She also knew how close the two boys were. Not only them, but the bond between the band was so strong that she didn’t think anything could break them, especially not some timid girl like herself.

The thought of not ever being able be around Jin earned a desperate cry from the girl and the three friends couldn’t help but feel pity for the girl.  

 “Tell me more about V, unnie,” Yeri suddenly asked, grabbing a pen and a notepad from Irene’s desk.

“V? What do you want to know about him?”

“Like what is he like? Does he give you flowers? Gifts? Does he put his arms around you? You know, things like that.” 

The three girls watched as Irene tried to recollect her memories.

“Uh, well he does bring me flowers, not like every day, but there definitely are flowers. Not so much gifts, but whenever we go eat he always offers to buy my drink and food. He’s kind of clingy too, like he’s always beside me. He likes to carry my things for me too.”

“Wow, that sounds nice,” Seulgi commented enviously, only to earn a glare from Irene who did not find V’s actions nice at all.

“What? Don’t be like that unnie, those are all nice gestures,” Seulgi defended herself and Irene took back what she thought. Yes, they were nice gestures, but they were too much.  

“Okay, fine. Yes I’ll admit it is nice to have someone do all those things and I may like it a little bit, but that’s not all he does.” The three waited eagerly, especially since Irene’s voice had become increasing dark.

“He makes unnecessary comments, like ‘Noona you’re so pretty today,’ or ‘Noona let’s do this.’”

‘Noona, where are you?’

“Noona, come here.”

“Noona, sit beside me.”

“The worse one though was, ‘Yah, don’t mess with my Noona.”

“Those aren’t too bad unnie,” Wendy replied.

“Yah, he said ‘my,’ he practically claimed me. I’m his noona, but I’m not just his noona.”

“I see.” Yeri nodded her head in understanding as she continued to scribble on the notepad.

“Then you guys remember Suho? I brought him over once.”

“Yeah, you guys did a project together. Real nice guy,” Wendy beamed recalling Suho. He was nice, a little awkward at times, but it was cute.

“Well, apparently V got word of it and scared him off.”

“Why?” Seulgi asked clueless.

“Cause he saw Suho as a threat. In other words, V is going around scaring potential suitors off” Yeri explained.

“Wait, Suho liked you?” It was Wendy’s turn to ask the question.

“No, I don’t know, but even if he did, he doesn’t now,” Wendy sighed in relief, “wait, then do you like Suho?

“I like Jin.” Irene stated as if it wasn’t clear the first time she had said it and hugged her pillow lovingly. Just saying his name gave her butterflies.

Wendy smiled to herself, Suho was still available.

“Now to Jin. Tell me about him. There isn’t much about him other than the fact that he is the oldest in their group and he seems to be on the quieter side.” Yeri flipped to the next blank sheet of the notepad, fingers ready to start writing.

A smile appeared on Irene’s face and Wendy was sure she saw her cheeks turn pink. So Irene really did like this Jin guy.

“He is the oldest so therefore the closest to my age,” Yeri grunted “no jokes about my age,” Irene warned.

“You’re the one who mentioned it. Anyway, continue please.”

“Well, he is quiet, but that’s what I like about him. He has that reserved calmness around him. He also takes care of his dongsaengs very well and he’s such a gentlemen. One simply cannot count the amount of times he has held the door for people, gave up his chair, or simply help someone in need. He’s perfect and his favorite color is pink.”

There were stars in Irene’s eyes and if Wendy hadn’t known Irene since childhood, she would had just thought it was a fleeting crush, but Irene had never talked like this about a boy before, not even Mino who she had a thing for in high school.

“Okay that’s enough about your lover boy, now on a scale of one to ten, how much do you like Jin?” Yeri’s eyes moved from the notepad and landed on Irene. She snorted when she saw how red the older girl had gotten.

“Didn’t you hear her? She’s obviously head over heels for this boy,” Seulgi stated, but Yeri waved her off and continued to stare at the older girl. She needed to hear it once more just to see how much Irene liked Jin.

“Honestly, more than a ten,” Irene meekly whispered aware that she was maybe a little too into Jin.

“Tell me unnie. Does Jin like you?” Yeri’s word cut through Irene, her head slowly resting deeper into the pillow. She tried to recall anything that could indicate that he might like her. Her brain went to the one time she had accidently touched his hands, he had gotten shy and she was sure she saw a slight shade of pink on his cheeks, but then again he was quite shy with girls so she wasn’t entirely sure it was just with her.

“Irene unnie,” Yeri’s voice snapped her back from her memory.

Shaking her head she stared at the young girl, “I don’t know.”

“I see.”

“What are you thinking Yeri?” Seulgi asked, she had been sitting silently the past hour watching as the younger girl jotted in her notepad, not exactly understanding what she was actually writing, but there had to be a reason the youngest was asking all these questions. Surely she was scheming up of a way to help the oldest, otherwise this conversation was pointless.  

“I think we should give Irene what she really wants.”

All three girls looked at her, waiting for her to explain

“From what I understand, Irene seems to be in love with Jin –

“I don’t love him, I just like him!”

“- anyways, unfortunately V is obsess with unnie. Unnie’s problem however isn’t just V, it’s herself. As Seulgi unnie had already stated, Irene unnie refuses to confess because she does not want to ruin the relationship between the two boys, very honorable if I do say so myself, but she’s also afraid of ruining her only chance to spend time with Jin, not so honorable, but we’ll let that slide because of the first reason. However, that’s not it, I believe the main reason you refuse to confess is because you’re afraid Jin won’t like you back.” Yeri looked at Irene who buried her head in the pillow. It was true, she was afraid of being rejected and it was a cowardly thing to do; blaming V because of her insecurities.

A light bulb had went off in Seulgi’s head as she excitedly shouted “I get it!”

Wendy, who usually was a fast thinker did not.

Yeri sighed, “if Irene unnie knew for sure that Jin reciprocated her feelings…” They waited for the gears in Wendy’s head to start working.

“Ah, she would be more likely to confess.”

Applause were heard, “but that’ll never happen because Jin would never do that to V. Even if he did like me, he would keep it to himself.”

“Well, that’s beyond my scope, all I’m trying to do at the moment is give you a chance to see if Jin really likes you. If he does then the rest is between Jin, V, and you.”

“Okay, and how exactly are we going to see if Jin likes me?” Irene asked.

“First we have to get rid of V.”

“How?”

“V sounds like an obsessive fan to me, so we’ll just find a girl to pretend to be his fan to you know, keep him occupy.” Yeri stated as her plan had been obvious.

“But he already has fans. A lot actually. Half the girl population are drooling over him.” Irene stated, doubt starting to form in her mind about Yeri’s plan.

“Yeah, but this fan is different, because she isn’t actually his fan. Fans are crazy but once their idol turn them down they stick to adoring from a far. This fan however will not take the answer no.”

Irene thought, it was true. V’s fans did adore him from afar.    

“So this is what we are going to do. We are going to find a girl to be a hard core fan of V to get his attention away from you. While this fan girl is occupying V all you have to do is confirm if Jin could possibly harboring any feelings for you.”

“Sounds simple enough right.” Yeri beamed at herself, but Wendy had a doubtful look. This plan of Yeri sounded more complicated than simple. The simple and logical thing was for Irene to tell V to stop being crazy, and then telling Jin her feelings, but of course Yeri and Irene would hear none of it. Seulgi wasn’t much help either, as she found this all to be quite entertaining.

“Only problem. Who are going to get to be this fan girl? I don’t want to just get any fan girl. I know how much V dislike them getting so close to him.” Wendy wondered that too.

“Don’t worry. I know the perfect girl.” Yeri said with a mischievous grin on her face, her phone already out.

Seulgi had somehow gotten a hold of the bowl of ice cream Wendy had originally came in with, and ate in silence eyeing the two girls as they drew up their scheme. She saw Wendy shake her head disapprovingly and gave her a half-hearted smile. It wasn’t like she approved of what they were doing either, but there was no stopping Yeri and even though Irene was usually level headed, it was her love life. The only thing she could think of at the moment was how sorry she felt for the girl they were going to get to play the fan girl.

“Sooyoung-ah, you better not pick up your phone when Yeri calls you,” she thought to herself as she watched Yeri place her phone against her ear.  

“KIM Taehyung! KIM Taehyung! PLEASE GO OUT WITH ME!” Joy shouted as she stood up on a bench in the middle of the school’s campus.

This wasn’t like her at all. Nope, not one bit like the Park Sooyoung she really is. She would never have been caught dead pulling a stunt like this. So how did she end up standing on a bench, shouting at the top of her lungs asking a stranger she barely knew, scratch that a stranger she didn’t know at all, to go out with her? Hmm….she wondered that too.

“KIM Taehyung! I LIKE YOU!” She shouted trying her hardest to ignore the onlookers. Were those cellphones? “Yah,” she wanted to shout at them; tell them to put their phones away, but Yeri was watching and she knew if she screwed this up, there would no longer be any of Wendy’s delicious cooking waiting for her, that little Yeri was blackmailing her and how the heck did Yeri get Wendy to agree to her little plan?

She did a slight prayer that he wouldn’t show up. She wasn’t sure what her plan of action was going to be if he confronted her. She didn’t like talking to boys. She became all awkward when she was around them. Sure she had a few guy friends, but that was different. It wasn’t like they became her friends first. They were friends with the other girls first and because she happened to always be with them it was only natural that she eventually befriended the guys as well.

“Who the hell are you?”

Damn.

Staring at the man in front of her she was amazed by his beauty, but those eyes; those icy eyes pierced through her and she felt a shiver run down her spine. 

Gulping, she jumped down from the bench and pulled him away from the crowd that had gathered around them, no doubt waiting for a show to happen.

“Let go of me. How dare you kidnap me?” He shouted trying to free himself from her grip.

“Kim Taehyung , please go out with me. I’ve like you for a long time and…” She pleaded not quite sure what to say next, after all, she didn’t know him and she definitely didn’t like him even if he was incredibly good looking.  

“No.” He coldly stated, finally releasing his arm from her hold.

“Don’t ever let me see your face around here again. Got that?” He rudely said as he flicked her forehead before taking his leave.

 Hmphf. As if that’ll work on me.

“Kim Taehyung , mark my words. You will go out with me one day. Even if it takes the rest of my life, I’ll make you date me.”

What the hell am I saying?

“Bae Irene, I’m going to kill you!” Joy shouted through the phone. She didn’t care that the girl was older than her not now anyway, especially since the pain on her forehead was still throbbing.

“Joy, you were excellent! Guess what? Jin actually walked me home today without V bugging us. We actually exchanged numbers.”

“Jin this, Jin that. Tell Jin to man up. I don’t want to do this anymore. I made a fool of myself today. I’ll never be able to live this down.”

“Oh chill Joy. No one even knows you at our school.” Irene said.

“Easy for you to say. You’re currently on cloud nine. What about me? You should have seen the way V looked at me after I confessed. He was practically murdering me with his eyes.”

“You’re just over analyzing things. V wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

“Well if that’s the case, V wouldn’t hurt you if you just told him that you liked Jin.” 

That was a good one, she wondered how Irene was going to respond to her. It really was a dumb plan, pretending to be a fan girl to occupy V. Like who even thinks of that? Oh right, Yeri.

“That’s different Joy. I know V wouldn’t hurt me. It’s Jin I’m worried about. Who knows what V would do to Jin.”

Argh, but they’re friends, surely V wasn’t such a horrible person to really hurt Jin over something like this and besides even if he did get angry it wouldn’t be for life right?  

“Whatever unnie. I’m tired.”

“Joy wait. What are you going to do tomorrow?” Irene asked and she could hear the hopefulness in the older girl’s voice.

“I don’t know. I guess I have no choice but to show up again tomorrow. Should I just do the same thing again? Shout his name and beg him to go out on a date with me?”

“Hmm…I don’t think that will work. How about you sing him a song?”

“You’re kidding right?”

“No. I think it will be sweet.”

“Listen here unnie. I’m not trying to be sweet. I’m only trying to get him away from you so you can spend time with Jin, who may not even like you that way.”

“Yah, Jin does too like me….He just doesn’t know it yet.” She sighed, somehow this plan had went from confirming if Jin liked Irene to making Jin like Irene.

“You’re unbelievable.” Joy muttered as she flopped down on her bed.

“Joy-ah. You have to make it believable.”

Sigh.

“I better get paid for this.”


See, I did have this story already on my laptop (>3500 words), tbh I had wrote this a long time ago for another otp I used to ship so now I'm just going back and changing the character names and adding on to it to fit the new characters more.

Anyway, what did you guys think?