Chapter Four

Masquerade

A moment of pure bliss and serenity was something Eunjung found hard to come by. Mainly it had to do with the fact that she was devoid of any emotion or feeling, but having Jiyeon so close, her arms tightly wrapped around her waist, gave Eunjung something she could never attain under any other circumstance. To live a life where you could not physically feel or express any emotion was extremely hard. There were times when Eunjung wanted so badly to show any bit of emotion or feeling towards a situation, whether is was something good or bad, but not even her tone of voice could give a clue of how she felt.

Sometimes she could express something, mainly anger, sometimes she could frown at a situation, and when it came to pain that was another story. Pain came so easily. Pain came in all forms. Despite it seeming as if physical pain was the worst, it was not. Pain was something she lived with everyday because being an empty shell only brought suffering. Pain and suffering went with misery. And misery was the only true word she could use to describe her life.

But now she sat on her motorcycle, driving towards the school Jiyeon attended. Hopefully with Hyomin’s help, she would attend it as well; and being near Jiyeon would take that misery away. Because being with Jiyeon gave her feelings, it took away the pain and suffering. It only took the touch of their hands from the previous day to know this, and Eunjung wanted it badly.

The gates to Korea University suddenly appeared on her left side; the distraction of actually feeling something had made her pass up the school. Eunjung veered the motorcycle towards her right and told Jiyeon to hold on a little tighter. With a quick turn to her left, the motorcycle twisted its way around burning the back tire on the road and raising smoke everywhere. 

The yelp that escaped Jiyeon’s mouth with that turn made Eunjung smile for the second time in her life.

She pulled the motorcycle into the empty space in front of the gates of the school. “We’re here Jiyeon.” 

Eunjung shut off the engine and pulled the lever out to stabilize the motorcycle. She slipped off the motorcycle first and offered a hand to Jiyeon who gladly took it. Feeling a little more confident this time, Jiyeon managed to dismount the motorcycle much easier than what it took her to get on it. Holding Eunjung’s hand helped too.

“Thank you for the ride Eunjung. I don’t think I would have made it in time if I had walked.” She took off the helmet and handed it to the slightly taller girl.

“It’s no problem. I actually don’t mind giving you a ride everyday if you’d like.” Eunjung moved her hand to move some of the hair that was currently covering Jiyeon’s face. The younger girl blushed at the action and moved her hands to straighten out her hair.

Just a few feet away from them, just a few feet behind the gates, Jieun looked at the two girls with hanging open. Who is that with Jiyeon?! Oh my God is Jiyeon blushing? She has a crush on a girl! My best friend is gay. OMG.

Jieun moved a little closer to the two but the only thing she managed to hear was Jiyeon saying goodbye to this mysterious girl. As Jiyeon headed her way, she noticed the mysterious girl turning to look at Jiyeon walk away from her. The mystery girl was attractive, almost more handsome than beautiful but her outfit and motorcycle gave her a bad girl vibe. That didn’t sit too well with Jieun, it was ok if Jiyeon liked another girl, but she didn’t want said girl getting her best friend in trouble.

“Jiyeon who’s that?!” Jieun’s question literally made Jiyeon jump. She had not even noticed Jieun standing right next to the gates.

Flustered, Jiyeon turned around to look at Eunjung who was now sitting on her bike with a cell phone on her hand. “Um…uh…that’s um…Eunjung.”

Jieun raised an eyebrow, “Where did you meet her? Because she totally screams lesbian.” She noticed Jiyeon’s eyes grow a little wider. Damn it, maybe that was a little too out there but still!

Jiyeon looked at Jieun for a few seconds and then started giggling. “What are you talking about? Eunjung is my…um, she’s my neighbor. She just moved in recently and offered me a ride since I was late this morning.” It was a little white lie, yes, but perhaps that would keep Jieun from asking more questions. She really couldn’t explain how she had actually met Eunjung, or who the girl was because honestly she didn’t even know, without sounding like she was crazy.

Jieun eyed her best friend suspiciously but finally let the situation go. They needed to get inside the school and head to class before they were really late. She nodded at the taller girl and turned around to head towards the doors. Sighing with relief, Jiyeon followed her best friend towards the school. Before going inside she turned to look behind her and smile at the sight of Eunjung sitting on her motorcycle.





Hyomin had spent most of her morning figuring out schedules for all the Guardians. She had to set them up into different groups, and allow them equal time to watch over Jiyeon, the city, and to get some rest. It was stressful which is why sometimes she wished she could go out and do all the things Eunjung did. The older girl was their leader, but she was only good at giving orders but not following through to make sure they were completed. That job belonged to Hyomin, which is why most Guardians saw her as their leader more than Eunjung.

The buzzing from her phone startled Hyomin for a moment. She picked it up from the desk and looked to see that Eunjung was finally calling with the name of the school Jiyeon went to.

“You have a name for me?” She asked as she got up from the desk and headed towards the desks with all the computers.

“Korea University.” Was Eunjung’s response over the phone. Hyomin tapped the shoulder of the Guardian sitting in front of the computers. Kyuhyun was one of the young Guardians who trained under Hyomin, but he was better at handling computers than a sword. He had been recruited for that exact reason.

“I need you to hack something for me.” He nodded at her and turned around to log into one of the computers. Hyomin gave him the name of the school and gave him the details of what he needed to do. 

“I’ll call you back once Kyuhyun has completed everything.” She ended the call and stood behind Kyuhyun, patiently waiting for him to finish hacking into the school’s system. She really hoped this would work.





Kyurhee yawned loudly as she walked towards the exit of the airport in Istanbul. She had actually left soon after she had talked to Jaehee the night before. She wanted to complete this job sooner than later, but the flight had left her jetlagged and right now she wanted to sleep more than anything. Sure she had slept during the flight, but nothing beat the comfort of a bed. 

After getting a taxi to take her to the hotel where she had booked a room, she looked over the information she had received from her employer on her phone. The guy was one of the richest people in the city; most of his money came from the importing and selling of drugs. He had contacted Kyurhee because he wanted her to eliminate someone who had moved into his territory. She was schedule to meet with the guy in about two hours which meant she would not be getting much sleep like she wanted.

Once she had arrived at the hotel and gotten her key, Kyurhee took a shower and then got dressed so she could go meet her employer. She eventually found herself walking down the streets of the district that contained most of the clubs and pubs in the city. She noticed that a younger crowd hung out in this area which was probably the group of people this guy made his money from.

The guy ran his business in one of the bigger clubs located in this district. When she arrived there, she was led by two of his thugs to the office in the back part of the club. The stench of cigars filled her nostrils and the thick smoke clouded her vision momentarily. She took a seat in one of the chairs in front of the desk and finally she got a good glance the man who had hired her. He was your typical overweight, balding, unattractive crooked millionaire. 

He smiled at Kyurhee and offered his hand to shake hers. She shook his and waited for him to speak first. He started off by offering her a cigar, which she took without hesitation, and then he proceeded to tell her about the job. He was obviously someone who liked to get straight down to business; people like that were Kyurhee’s favorites.

He explained to the rogue that the man who had moved into his territory was a Russian. With Turkey being a country that connected two continents, Europe and Asia, and Istanbul being a major metropolitan area, it was easy for foreigners to come into the country and try to set up their business. He didn’t mind it if it was somewhere else, but in Istanbul he was the number one drug lord. 

This particular man had been taking over and he couldn’t send his men to finish him off without starting a war. It was easier if someone else killed him, and Kyurhee was the best there was to accomplish this. She could move in unnoticed and completely invisible to her targets and assassinate someone quickly and cleanly. Without anyone knowing who she was, or who actually killed the man, there was no way to target it back to her employer.

After giving her all the details of who she was to kill and where she could find him, the man in front of her told her that he would give her and advance now and pay her the rest of her money once the job was done. She shook his hand once more, accepting the deal, and then left the office and the club.




The sight of Jiyong stuffing his face with kimbap made Jaehee smile, and it let her know that her mother was still in the apartment. The high priestess had been disappearing a lot lately and would return home and give no explanation of her whereabouts. Every time she or Kyurhee would ask their mother where she had been, the woman would simply ignore the question by changing the topic.

Jaehee took a seat across from Jiyong who grinned at her, pieces of rice stuck to his teeth. She looked over at Seunghyun who was quietly eating his meal and then she looked at her mother. “Mom, we need to talk. It’s important.”

Pink irises moved in Jaehee’s direction. They showed a hint of curiosity. “Eat your breakfast first then we’ll talk.” She moved the plate she had placed on the table for her daughter closer to the young woman.

Jaehee reached for a slice of kimbap and took a small bite. She frowned as she chewed then set down the piece back on the plate. “Fine, I’ll just make it the topic of conversation. I believe the Chosen One has been reincarnated.”

TaeIn abruptly stopped the movement of her arm as it headed towards with a slice of kimbap on her hand. Jiyong and Seunghyun stopped chewing for a moment and looked over at the pink haired woman and then at Jaehee.

“How sure are you?” TaeIn asked her tone more serious now. She set the kimbap back on her plate.

“Not much, but what happened yesterday is enough to leave me convinced.” Jaehee grabbed the slice she had bitten and stuffed it into .

“What happened yesterday?” Her mother asked expectantly.

“Jiyong and I were leaving a café when suddenly a girl bumped into me and fell. I didn’t tell Jiyong this, but when I offered her my hand to help her get up, a burning sensation suddenly ran through it. It felt like the skin on my hand was literally set on fire.” Jaehee looked at her left hand.

TaeIn eyed her suspiciously but then Jiyong continued the story. “The girl Jaehee is talking about, I saw her later that day. Both she and I noticed movements from Shadows, and I used my Eye of Kilrogg to follow them. I saw them stop right in front of her; they rose up from the shadow on the ground in front of the girl. They were going to attack her when suddenly a woman appeared out of nowhere to defend the girl. She was highly skilled in combat; she killed two of the Shadows which caused them to retreat.”

TaeIn took her eyes off Jiyong and looked down at the table. Her eyes seemed to be scanning for something. She was trying to remember everything she had read in the Book of Knowledge about the Chosen One and her Guardians. Her eyes suddenly stopped on Jaehee’s hand and then she looked up to stare straight into her daughter’s green eyes.

“What did the woman who protected the girl look like?” Her question caught Jaehee off guard.

“Um, I’m not sure. I didn’t exactly see her entire face, but she had shoulder length black hair, and was wearing what looked like a body suit. It was black, and it looked like it was made by various black leather straps. It was odd, but she was highly alert when the Shadows started moving towards the girl.”

“What weapon did she have?” The question only made Jaehee think harder.

“Uh…she ran off unarmed, but I remember a short slightly broad sword on the side of the motorcycle she was sitting on.” Jaehee motioned with her hands the length and width of the sword she had seen.

“She did have two pistols on her though. One strapped to each thigh.” Jiyong added.

“There is a Guardian described in the Book of Knowledge. The Guardian is described having a feminine figure, always wearing a suit made out of black leather straps, and having a massive sword attached to her back. The weapon is literally as tall as she is.” TaeIn explained. A slight smile appeared on her lips.

“How many accounts of this Guardian are there in the book if I may ask? And is she the only one?” Seunghyun finally broke his silence.

TaeIn took a sip of her drink and smiled at Seunghyun. “The Book of Knowledge is a chronological book. It basically lists the history of our people. Some things are written in great detail, others are just listed. Every King after The War of the Ancients has had people looking over the humans to see if any have given clues to the reincarnation of the Chosen One. In every reincarnation listed in the book, the same Guardian has appeared to locate the Chosen One.”

“The one you described.” Jiyong mentioned and TaeIn nodded.

“Whenever she appears, it’s usually because the Chosen One has been reincarnated.” She continued but was cut off by Jaehee.

“How many times has the Chosen One been reincarnated?”

“From what I remember, the book only lists five times. Sometimes it has happened after one lifetime, other times it had taken hundreds of years. The reincarnation varies, as does the gender of the Chosen One, but that Guardian remains the same every time.” The pink haired woman continued then grabbed the last piece of kimbap on her plate to finish it off.

“Well, I think this reasserts what I thought. That girl has to be the Chosen One, but if only you and dad have read the Book of Knowledge, then how did those Shadows know who to follow in order to find the Chosen One? The only thing any of us ever learn from the book is the first chapter because it explains why we must live hidden amongst the humans.” Jaehee said while eating her food and thinking about everything she had seen the day before.

“Are you saying the Shadows from yesterday where following the Guardian and not the Chosen One?” Seunghyun asked his friend.

Jaehee loved how insightful he could be at times and nodded. “Yes and this also raises another question. How could they even know which Guardian to follow? No one has access to the book to know this. Neither you nor I ordered any of this. I think there might be someone else sending these Shadows. Someone who has not only rose against the humans, but us as well. They are traitors to the throne.”

“What do you plan to do about this then?” TaeIn asked her daughter who turned to look at her. She noticed glint of determination in her daughter’s eyes.

“I want the two of you to investigate this.” Jaehee looked over at the two men. “I want you to find out who is ordering these attacks and what is it that they’re seeking. And I will get to know the Chosen One a little better.”

The three people sitting at the table with Jaehee looked at each other and then looked at her. She had a smirk on her lips, the mark of a plan brewing in her head.





Eunjung kicked a small rock that was next to her foot while waiting for Hyomin to return her call. The rock hit the edge of the pavement and spun back around towards her. She kicked it once more and then finally her phone rang. She turned around to grab it from its holder; she had been leaning on the motorcycle, and answered.

“Kyuhyun managed to set up everything for you. Just head over to the admissions office to get your class schedule. We set you up for every class Jiyeon has and they should be able to find you in the system. Your name from now on is Ham Eunjung.” Hyomin excitedly told her over the phone before Eunjung could even respond.

“Thank you, to the both of you. I appreciate this.” Eunjung responded and then hung up her phone. She put it in one of the pockets of the jacket she was wearing and then mounted her motorcycle so she could go park it where it wouldn’t get towed. She found the parking lot for the school after making a right turn on the next street. The guard at the gate gave her a visitor’s pass for the meantime and after parking she headed towards the school.

She had no idea where to go once she was inside this particular building. The school was huge and made up of different buildings. She walked down what seemed to be the main hallway of this building with her hands tucked into the pockets of her jacket. She saw no signs that said ‘Admissions Office’ which meant that perhaps she would be walking around for a while.





Jaehee’s plan for herself was to find out who the girl from the previous day was. Of course she was now considered the Chosen One, but Jaehee wanted a name, a back story. Why was she chosen to be the one reincarnated with the soul of the Chosen One? Getting to know her would also help her find out more about the Guardians. Her mother, as well as her friends, told her that it wasn’t a good idea to get close to the girl since the Guardians might see her as a threat, but she meant no harm. And she would make sure they knew that.

She was currently turning her Mustang onto the street where the café was located. She momentarily parked her car a few feet ahead of where the café was on the opposite side. She remembered that the girl had mentioned something about needing to get to school, so she was currently doing a search for nearby schools in this area. It was highly likely that the girl did not attend high school anymore because of the time the events had happened the previous morning, so she ignored the high school she had found on her search. The only other school left in the area was Korea University which was some blocks down from where she was currently parked.

She smiled, set her phone down, and pulled out of the parking spot to head towards the university. If getting enrolled in this school was what it was going to take to get closer to the Chosen One, then she would do it. She had spent her years after high school training to perfect her skills as a death knight which meant she had not attended college yet. She remembered her father telling her to get a higher education and with the events happening now, it was a good chance to kill two birds with one stone.





With the help of one of the faculty members, Eunjung had finally made her way to the office of admissions. The nice lady had told Eunjung to make sure to have her documents ready so the process of getting her schedule would go easier. She had nothing of what the lady had told her, so when she found herself alone in the hallway she stopped and grabbed the cross that Qri had given her. If the necklace could create the illusion of the clothes she was wearing and make them feel realistic, surely it could conjure up the illusion of the documents.

She called Hyomin to verify the false information that they had put into the school’s system, “Hyomin, I need documents to get my schedule. Hopefully Qri’s necklace can conjure them up for me if I can concentrate hard enough once you give me the information I need.”

“Are you sure Qri’s necklace can do that? I thought it was meant for clothes.”

“It doesn’t hurt to try.” Eunjung responded.

“I don’t know. Let me ask her.”

“Hyomin just give me the information.” She could hear the warrior calling out for the mage. She leaned back on the wall and looked around to see if anyone was around. She really didn’t need anyone hearing something about magic and conjuring.

“Jungie!” She could practically hear Qri’s grin over the phone. “Thank you for thinking of me and of how great and powerful of a mage I am, but my conjured necklace cannot conjure anything for you. It can only create illusions of your clothing.”

Eunjung heard some rustling going on, probably Hyomin trying to yank the phone off Qri’s hands. “Qri! Give me the phone damn it!”


“Sorry about that Eunjung, but Kyuhyun is printing out everything you need right now. I’ll head over to the school in a few to bring them to you.”

“I want to go with you!” She heard Qri shout in the background.

“Just park in front of the main gate. The admission’s office is in the main building. I’ll see you soon.” She hung up the phone and started walking towards the exit to head out to the main gate.

When she opened one of the main doors to head down the stairs she sensed the presence of dark magic. The dark magic was very powerful, so powerful that it gave her a chill down her spine. She had never sensed one that was this strong. She descended the stairs quickly, and in her rush she barely noticed the person who passed by her.

She stopped a few steps down and turned around to look at the person. Said person turned their head to eye Eunjung from the corner of their eye. Their glances were quick. The woman disappeared behind the doors and Eunjung continued her trek down the stairs. The presence of the dark magic was strongest when they had passed each other.

Eunjung then knew. She knew very well who that dark magic came from. “A Shadow.”