Chapter Fourteen

Masquerade

A light summer breeze blew across the park carrying with it the scent of meat cooking on a grill and the sounds of chatter and laughter from the people enjoying a nice day. Behind him, his daughters and their friends played a game of soccer and in front of him was his beautiful wife talking to her friends. A group of men were sitting next to the women enjoying a cold beer and talking amongst themselves.

Daesung flipped the steaks on the grill and turned to look at the kids running after the soccer ball. He smiled at the sight of Kyurhee, his oldest daughter who was quickly becoming a beautiful young lady, and Jaehee, who was sporting a new pixie cut and was currently dribbling the ball on her feet to avoid losing it to Seunghyun. It was peaceful days like this that he enjoyed the most because he got to share good food and drinks with his family and closest friends.

The bright sun that was currently beaming down on them suddenly turned black. The blue sky lost its color and turned into a shade of dark blue and purple. Dark ominous clouds quickly formed and started thundering. After a bright flash of lightning, everything went completely black and Daesung shot his eyes open.

In front of him there was no sight of his daughters and their friends, no chattering from the men and women, and no intoxicating smell of cooking meat. The only thing he saw now was the orange tinted gray walls of a cave that was lit up by torches. Daesung now knew that everything had been just a dream from when he was unconscious and regretted opening his eyes to face reality. His eyes scanned his surroundings and noticed that the wave of pink energy flowing from him was gone.

“I see you’ve finally awoken.” Nobleman Kwangsoo’s voice was unmistakable. The warlock stood in front of the King holding a small black orb in his right hand. Daesung narrowed his eyes on the orb and tried to move his head up to face the betrayer but found that moving anything other than his eyes caused him great agony.

Kwangsoo cackled at the sight of the weakened man before him. “I’ve drained you of all your power and most of your life essence. You only live because I want you to see your loved ones suffer the same fate.”

Daesung tried to speak despite the pain he felt, “Why?” His voice was hoarse and sounded nothing like it used to do when he would normally speak.

“Why what?” Kwangsoo mockingly asked. He let out another cackle and played with the orb in his hands.

Daesung tried his best to speak again. “Why…why would…you…betray…”

“BETRAY?!” Kwangsoo shouted out. “It is you and your family who betrayed us your majesty! You turned your back on your people by being too kind! We are Shadows the most powerful beings on this planet. Compared to humans we are Gods!”

Kwangsoo’s eyes glowed bright orange and his true form was revealed in his fit of rage. “Our numbers have grown immensely throughout the millennias and our time to take control of this world has come. The humans are too distracted to fighting amongst each other and compared to the way they were in ancient times, they would never unite with each other to stop us. Their only defense is the Guardians who we greatly out number and once I complete my plan, they will have no Chosen One to rely upon!”

The warlock moved closer to the King and placed the orb right in front of the King’s face. “You believe that we should just live peacefully amongst the humans and work with them to make this world a better place. But you’re wrong! They will never accept us and this is why I’m recreating the most powerful weapon ever created by our people.”

The orb started spinning, changing the directions of its spin constantly. Kwangsoo reached for the Book of Knowledge he kept in the satchel he had on his side. “The original book has so much information and history in it that you would never believe your majesty. It is the reason why I spent so much time looking for it. I had it long before I even told you I had clues about its whereabouts and spent hours and days reading it. I’ve learned so much and in it, I’ve found the key to my victory.”

“What is it?” Daesung asked.

Kwangsoo smiled. “Do you really want to know?” He chuckled and continued, “The most powerful weapon ever created by our people was called The Ashbringer. It was a mighty two handed sword that did as its name describes it. Anyone who was killed with it turned into ash. According to the Book of Knowledge, the owner of the sword was the fifth king’s right hand man, but the sword vanished soon after the War of the Ancients started.”

“So…what do me…and my family…have to do with it?” Daesung’s voice was becoming hoarser the more he spoke but he was interested in what Kwangsoo was telling him. The King knew that Kwangsoo would reveal his plan to him because the warlock was always boastful about his accomplishments.

“The Royal family has always been the most powerful of Shadows and by draining all of the dark energy that your family posses I can recreate the black orb that was the foundation of the Ashbringer!” Kwangsoo yelled out proudly. Suddenly behind him a dark portal opened and Park Jinyoung stepped out from it.

“My Lord.” He saluted Kwangsoo and the warlock looked expectantly at his right hand man.

“Jinyoung, what brings you back? I thought you were paying the Queen and the Princesses a visit.” Kwangsoo smirked and looked over at Daesung who was trying his best to keep his head up to look at both men.

“I bring disturbing news my Lord.” Jinyoung answered.

Kwangsoo narrowed his eyes at the Death Knight. “What is it?”

“It seems as if Princess Jaehee has friended the Chosen One herself. One of my informants notified me of this just now.” Jinyoung responded and Kwangsoo moved his right hand to call the black orb back to him.

“What?!” He caught the orb and held it firmly in his hand. “That’s blasphemy.”

“My informant says they saw it with their own eyes and this is an informant that can be trusted. I don’t know how she did it but she has. I can break Princess Kyurhee and capture her as well as the Queen, but if Princess Jaehee has gained the trust of the Chosen One and her Guardians then our task has become more difficult.” Jinyoung explained worriedly.

“Even if she has, we still greatly out number both of their forces. Plus, we have people already inside the ranks of the Royal army. All we need to do is decimate Jaehee’s forces and capture her.” Kwangsoo confidently stated and looked over at the weakened King.

Jinyoung was doubtful about Lord Kwangsoo’s plans. He was not the one out there sending men to fight both the Guardians and the Royal family and losing each time. Despite their greater numbers, the Guardians and the Royal family held the most powerful warriors and defeating them would not be easy.

“I don’t know my Lord. The Guardians are still powerful and the Royal Army has some of the most skilled and powerful warriors. Both Princesses have also become respectable warriors within their ranks. I think we need to rethink our plan.” Jinyoung explained and bowed to the warlock.

Kim Kwangsoo was too proud to admit that his subject was right but gave into his suggestion. “Looking over our plan again and working in new ideas doesn’t sound too bad. Follow me Jinyoung, we will figure out our next step carefully.” He turned around to make his way out of the cave. Nobleman Jinyoung followed behind Kwangsoo and turned to look at the King before stepping out of the cave.

Daesung let out a sigh and then smiled. There was nothing he could do right now or perhaps ever, but he could feel pride, pride in the fact that his family was remaining strong in his absence. And if Jaehee had really gained the trust of the Guardians and the Chosen One, then he knew she would never get captured by Kwangsoo and his men.





Hwayoung had been the first of the Elite Six to friend one of the Shadows in Jaehee’s group. She and Jiyong had hit it off pretty quickly after discussing their musical tastes as well as fashion, and now the two of them were dancing away the night on top of a table. They had been joined by Seunghyun and Jieun who were dancing on the floor next to the table and Jiyeon had found the whole scenario to be hilarious. Jieun had pulled Jiyeon to join them and it didn’t take much for Jiyeon to start dancing with them.

Qri had tried to hold back on joining them, but after Jiyeon got pulled by Jieun, she grabbed Boram’s hand and led the shorter girl up to the group. The mage began grinding her body against the shorter hunter, and Boram found herself blushing furiously as she tried to keep up with Qri.

TaeIn and Kyurhee had made their way down to the first floor of the club leaving just Jaehee, Eunjung, Hyomin and Soyeon to look at the partiers in front of them.

“So, I guess we’re not as bad as you thought?” Jaehee asked Eunjung who was sitting next to her.

Instead of Eunjung replying, Soyeon, who had moved away from Hyomin to sit on the other side of Jaehee, responded. “There is a very human side to you and your friends. I must admit that we really don’t know any Shadows personally, but I do not get an evil vibe from any of you.”

Jaehee turned to look at Soyeon and smiled. “Thanks. We’ve grown up surrounded by humans and my father always believed that we can live peacefully amongst each other. That was something he instilled into us while growing up.”

“Eunjung~!” 

“Hyomin~!”

Hwayoung and Jiyeon approached both girls with huge grins on their faces. Jiyeon grabbed Eunjung’s hands and pulled her up from her seat. “Dance with me~” Jiyeon gave her a cute pout and Eunjung nodded.

Hwayoung on the other hand dragged a reluctant Hyomin to the dance floor leaving Jaehee and Soyeon to giggle at Hyomin’s annoyed expression and Hwayoung fist pumping to the beat of the music.

“What’s up with those two?” Jaehee asked and Soyeon laughed some more. “They’re like in love with each other, but Hyomin doesn’t want to admit that she loves all the silly things Hwayoung does.”

Jaehee smiled and turned to look at Soyeon once again. “Mind dancing with me? Or we can just sit here and look dumb.”

Soyeon looked up at the taller woman and blushed slightly. “I guess one dance wouldn’t hurt.”

Jaehee stood up and offered her hand to Soyeon who took it. They made their way down the stairs with everyone else who had decided there was more room to dance on the first floor. By the time they made it downstairs, the DJ had slowed the music down to a slow song for the moment and everyone had partnered up. Even Jieun had found someone to dance with in the form a short guy with a Mohawk who had been eyeing her since they had first arrived at the club. He had made his move on her as soon as she had walked off the last step of the stairs and she gladly accepted to dance with him.

Jiyeon had her arms currently wrapped around Eunjung’s neck while the older girl had her arms around Jiyeon’s waist. They were moving back and forth to the slow beat of the music and Jiyeon was taking in the opportunity to see the couples around her. Qri and Boram made a cute couple because of their short stature, Jiyong was resting his head on Seunghyun’s shoulder, Hwayoung placing small kisses on Hyomin’s lips and cheeks and Hyomin actually seemed to be enjoying them, next to them was Jaehee and Soyeon who looked a little awkward at the moment, and she was surprised to see Jieun dancing with a random guy.

“Jungie, look at Jieun. I wonder who that guy is.” Jiyeon mentioned but Eunjung’s eyes never left Jiyeon’s face. She couldn’t believe how radiant Jiyeon was looking right now and having her in her arms so close like this made her wish she could do more than just hold her.

“Ask her later.” Eunjung replied and Jiyeon lightly smacked her arm. “But he could be like a ert or something.”

“She’ll be fine.”

“Eunjung!”

“Jiyeon, just enjoy the moment with me.” Jiyeon blushed madly at Eunjung’s comment as she remembered their current position. She looked at Eunjung who had no expression on her face but her eyes; they expressed more than her face ever could. Jiyeon could see the desire in Eunjung’s eyes. Does she want me? Was my mom right about the way Eunjung looks at me? Omo!

“Jiyeon! I love this song!” Jieun’s voice pulled Eunjung and Jiyeon away from each other and caused them to look at the shorter girl. Neither of them had realized that the slow song had ended and the upbeat sound of Lovey-Dovey was playing.

Jieun was shuffling away at the beat with the mohawked guy shuffling next to her and smiling at the two girls. “Oh, this is Taeyang by the way.”

“Hey nice to meet you guys! Jieun is such a good dancer huh?” He grinned and turned to Jieun who running her hands back and forth through her hair while shuffling.

“I’m Jiyeon, Jieun’s best friend, and this is Eunjung.” Jiyeon told him and Taeyang turned to look at them once again.

“You and your girlfriend make a cute couple Jiyeon. Come on! Let’s shuffle! Ooh~ Ooh~” He sang a long to the song and turned to Jieun once more.

Jiyeon turned to Eunjung and looked at the bar behind the older girl. “I need a drink.” And Eunjung followed behind Jiyeon.





“Girl this is my jam!” Jiyong shouted out as he danced along with Seunghyun, Jaehee, and Soyeon. They four of them actually had a bit of a crowd looking at them while they danced to the catchy upbeat song. And the three Shadows were surprised at how good Soyeon had caught onto the dance.

“Lovey Dovey Dovey! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!” Sangchu’s and Junseop’s voices caused all four of them to turn around and Jiyong jumped up in excitement after seeing the two older men.

“Ah! You guys made it! What took you so long?” Jiyong asked.

“Um, we got caught up in a little something…before getting here.” Sangchu responded while looking at his shorter partner. Junseop blushed and handed the box he was carrying to Seunghyun.

Jiyong crossed his arms and shook his head. “Yeah, I know what you two did! Couldn’t wait ‘til after the party!”

“Hey at least we remembered to bring your cake.” Junseop replied. “Oh, and we also brought something for you Jaehee.”

“Me?” Jaehee raised an eyebrow.

“More like someone. We found her outside trying to get into the club.” Sangchu answered and stepped to the side to reveal Gyuri standing behind him.

“Gyuri!” Jaehee shouted and then gasped at the sight of the shorter girl. Gyuri looked like a goddess standing before her in a y red dress.

“Gross, you’re drooling.” Jiyong pushed Jaehee and the taller woman pushed him back.

“I don’t think I would have made it in if it wasn’t for your two friends.” Gyuri chuckled and looked at Sangchu and Junseop.

“That bouncer is crazy for not letting you in. Thanks guys.” Jaehee stepped up and hugged Gyuri.

“No problem. We’re gonna go get drinks. You guys want anything?” Sangchu asked and Seunghyun and Jiyong nodded and followed the two older men.

Jaehee, Gyuri and Soyeon watched the men walk away and Jaehee turned to Soyeon. “I’m sorry for not introducing you, but the tall guy is Sangchu, my mom’s driver and the shorter guy is his husband Junseop. Oh, and this is my friend Gyuri. Gyuri, this is Soyeon; she’s one of Eunjung’s best friends.”

Gyuri smiled at Soyeon and shook her hand. “Nice to meet you. I’m a classmate of Eunjung and Jaehee.”

Soyeon nodded and smiled as well. “Nice to meet you too. I’ll leave you guys now though. It seems like you have catching up to do.” The priestess bowed at the two of them and walked off towards the bar where she had spotted Eunjung standing next to Jiyeon.

“Seems like you are quite the charmer.” Gyuri mentioned and Jaehee raised an eyebrow.

“What?”

“I think she likes you.” Gyuri smirked.

“So you’re a love guru now?”

“Perhaps, but I would really appreciate it if you kept your player ways at bay. Especially, if you’re trying to get with me.” Gyuri grinned.

Jaehee stepped back from Gyuri keeping her eyebrow raised. “Well, aren’t you a blunt one. I don’t think this is going to work.”

Gyuri started laughing and slapped Jaehee’s arm playfully. “Oh please, you enjoy it. Now, are you just going to stand there or dance with me?”

“Okay honey~ we’ll dance.” Jaehee grinned and Gyuri gasped.

“Oh you’re good!”





In one of the darker corners of the club, Hyori was looking on at the interaction between Jaehee and the human girl in the red dress that was similar to the one she was wearing. Hyori had met and been introduced to the Guardians earlier, but she had not stayed to hang around them. In fact she felt like she didn’t really belong at this party, but she had showed up because Jiyong was her friend and he has asked her to come. All of her hopes to be around Jaehee for the night had been crushed by the Princess herself since Jaehee was too preoccupied with the humans.

Jealousy built up inside Hyori at the moment as she saw how Jaehee was looking at the human girl and flirting with her. Hyori was at one time in the shoes of that girl, but it did not last long and even though she tried to get Jaehee’s attention nowadays she couldn’t.

“Hyori?” TaeIn’s voice broke Hyori away from the scene in front of her. She turned to face the High Priestess and bowed.

“I’ve noticed you have been distant from the group tonight. Are you not enjoying yourself?” TaeIn asked her.

“I’m sorry High Priestess, but I just feel out of place.” Hyori responded and turned to look at Jaehee and human girl once more.

“Who is that dancing with Jaehee?” TaeIn had turned to look at where Hyori had been looking all this time.

“I don’t know. She came in with Sangchu and Junseop and by the looks of it, I believe she’s human.”

“Don’t worry about the girl or what Jaehee does right now. I’ve have arranged everything with your parents already. Jaehee can have all the fun she wants with that human girl, but you’re the one she will marry.” TaeIn smiled confidently and Hyori felt a wave of relief wash over her.

“My parents accepted the arrangement?” Hyori asked excitedly. She knew that the Queen had been planning this arranged marriage for sometime, but she wasn’t sure if her parents would accept it.

“They were thrilled to know that you are going to be a future Queen. Not only that, but I’ve chosen you to become the next High Priestess as well.” TaeIn smiled and happily wrapped her arms around Hyori in a hug.




After Jiyong and Seunghyun had cut their cake and shared a slice with everyone, the Guardians, Jiyeon, Jieun, and the Shadows had said their good byes to each other. To Jaehee, the night had been a success because everyone had seemed to get along well and there had been no animosity. Even Hyomin didn’t seem as annoyed by the end of the night. Eunjung had agreed to discuss plans of working together with Jaehee and those the Shadow trusted. 

By the end of the night, Hyomin was also too drunk to drive and Soyeon had taken her keys so that she could drive the warrior’s car. Qri and Boram had gotten drunk and fell asleep in the car. Next to them was Hwayoung who had Hyomin sitting on her lap and resting her head on Hwayoung’s shoulder. Both girls were drunk as well and fell asleep soon after Qri and Boram. On the drive to Jieun’s house, Jieun had spent the time texting Taeyang who had given her his number.

For part of the ride, Eunjung had followed Hyomin’s car until she took a turn on a different street to head to Jiyeon’s apartment. Jiyeon rested her head on Eunjung’s back and was starting to doze off thanks to the cool wind and the bit of alcohol she had consumed.

“Jiyeon, we’re here. Wake up.” Eunjung told her as she parked her motorcycle in front of the apartment building. Jiyeon picked her head up and wiped the bit of drool from the side of . She let out a big yawn and stretched her arms.

“Carry me inside Jungie.” Jiyeon pouted. Eunjung looked at the younger girl over her shoulder and unhooked Jiyeon’s arms from around her waist.

“I’ll walk you up to your apartment.” Eunjung said as she got off the motorcycle.

“Carry me!” Jiyeon pouted again. “Pleaseeeeee?”

Eunjung stared at Jiyeon but finally gave in. “Okay, just take your helmet off.”

“Yay!” Jiyeon cheered and happily obliged to Eunjung’s request. She stuck her arms out for Eunjung and the older girl scooped her up into her arms.

“Let’s see how strong you are Jungie. Just don’t drop me if you get tired.” Jiyeon kept the cute pouting face.

“You’re fine Jiyeon.” Eunjung said as she began walking towards the doors. After riding the elevator up to Jiyeon’s floor and walking the short distance to the apartment door, Eunjung finally set Jiyeon down.

“Kyyaaa! Eunjung you’re like Superman strong! Well, Supergirl because you’re definitely not a man.” Jiyeon giggled.

“I think you had too much to drink Jiyeon. Please go inside and get some rest.” Eunjung motioned to the door and Jiyeon rolled her eyes. She stared into Eunjung’s eyes and then looked down at the older girl’s lips.

Eunjung noticed how close Jiyeon’s face was getting to hers and she could feel Jiyeon’s hot breath on her lips. Jiyeon puckered her lips slightly to kiss Eunjung but she was met with the older girl’s cheek. She pouted after realizing Eunjung had moved to avoid kissing her.

“Goodnight Jiyeon. I’ll call you tomorrow before I come to pick you up. Soyeon says she wants to start your training.” Eunjung stepped away from Jiyeon and turned around to head back to the elevator.

Jiyeon let out a sigh and waved at Eunjung. “Okay, goodnight Jungie.” Disappointed, she turned to her door and took out her keys from her purse to open the door.





“Tonight was really awesome, but I’m super tired.” Jaehee said as she walked into her apartment with her mother behind her.

“It was. I had a lot of fun.” Her mother replied as she removed her shoes and set them by the door.

“Where did Kyurhee go? She disappeared after Jiyong cut the cake.” Jaehee asked while removing her shoes and jacket.

“Knowing Kyurhee, she probably left with the girl she met tonight.” TaeIn replied.

“Yeah, sounds about right. Anyways, goodnight mom.” Jaehee smiled and headed for her room. TaeIn looked at her daughter walk away for a moment and then headed after her. She opened the door after Jaehee had closed and walked up to her daughter. In the corner of her eye, she saw their reflection in the tall mirror Jaehee had against the wall.

“Jaehee?” 

“Yes?” Jaehee asked turning around to face her mother.

“Who was the girl you were dancing with tonight? The one in the red dress.”

Jaehee grinned at the thought of Gyuri. “Oh, she’s a classmate at school. Her name is Park Gyuri and I really like her. Apart from being super gorgeous, she’s really cool and charming.”

TaeIn noticed how much her daughter’s face lit up at the mention of the girl. She nodded and stepped closer to her daughter. “Jaehee, you know she’s human right?”

Jaehee rolled her eyes because she knew what her mother was getting at. “Yes, but I don’t know what the big deal is. Why can’t I love and marry who I want? I’m not saying I’ll marry Gyuri because I don’t know the future but I won’t marry Hyori if that’s what you want!”

“Jaehee!” TaeIn yelled out. “Hyori is a beautiful young woman with all the qualities you need in a partner and best of all, she’s a Shadow! As heir to the throne is your duty to keep the bloodline pure and marrying a human for you is absolutely forbidden.”

“Then I will not marry anyone until I become Queen so I can get rid of that stupid rule!” Jaehee shouted back.

TaeIn gritted her teeth and moved to grab her daughter’s face. She turned Jaehee towards the mirror so that the girl could look at herself in the mirror. TaeIn cast Shadow Word: Pain on Jaehee which caused Jaehee to scream out in pain. Her eyes began glowing bright green as she tried to pry her mother’s hands off her head.

“Look at yourself Jaehee! Truly look at yourself! Do you think any human girl would want you when they see what you really look like?!” TaeIn let go of Jaehee’s head and stormed out of her daughter’s room.

Jaehee grabbed her head as she tried to shake away the spell her mother had cast on her. Her fingers felt the edge of a hard round object erupting from her head. She looked at herself in the mirror and cursed at her mother for reminding her of this. The mirror reflected her glowing eyes, pointed ears, and the two large horns that finally had grown into their permanent shape and size.

We might look like humans most of the time to disguise our true self’s sweetie, but in reality we’re just demons trying to survive in a human dominated world. Her father’s words resonated in her head.