Chapter Thirty Two

Masquerade

“A banshee…how splendid.” Kwangsoo grinned at Jinyoung while staring at the banshee created from Gyuri’s soul.

Jinyoung swallowed the grapes he was chewing and smirked. “I can’t wait to see the look on Jaehee’s face when she sees her beloved like this.”

“Have you heard from Hyori yet?” Kwangsoo asked as he walked around the banshee observing every aspect of her. The banshee eyed the warlock but remained in her spot next to Jinyoung.

The banshee looked like Gyuri, but the scowl on her face distorted her beauty making the banshee look more menacing. Her ghostly body floated off the ground, her hands were more like talons now, her hair flowed wildly, and her ghastly body was missing her legs which were replaced by a spectral orb.

“Not yet. She’s most likely recuperating from her wounds.” Jinyoung responded and Kwangsoo nodded and started heading out of the tent.

I wish she would hurry up though.” Jinyoung mentioned before Kwangsoo could leave.

The warlock smirked again and turned to look at the death knight. “Patience my friend. We’ve waited a long time for this. A little more won’t hurt.”





Kyurhee had spent a little while contemplating what her sister was going to do. The rogue knew Jaehee was most likely going to fight that Eunjung girl or perhaps all of the Guardians. Not long ago, Kyurhee might have never understood why her sister got involved with humans, especially the Guardians, since Kyurhee never cared for them. Working for humans, doing their dirty work, had made her wealthy on her own and was the only relationship she needed to have with the humans.

Her abilities as a Shadow had always protected her from being caught, but now after seeing her father suffering the way he had, her comrades captured and probably being tortured by now, and how the Guardians had worked alongside her sister had changed her mind. Kyurhee now understood that to find peace for her people and the humans, it was best to work together and live amongst each other.

The rogue ran her hand through the long bangs that always adorned one side of her face and tucked them behind her ear. Letting out a sigh, Kyurhee left the armory and made it back to the infirmary where Hyemi was most likely finishing up with Gyuri’s body.

When the rogue walked into the infirmary, she found Bi sitting at the edge of the table Gyuri’s body was on by the dead girl’s feet and Hyemi was trying to move Gyuri’s body to the side to finish putting the dress on her.

“Hyemi, please, let me help you.” Kyurhee said as she approached the priestess and helped her. Hyemi smiled at the older princess and found it easier and faster to complete her task.

“Thank you princess. She’s a lot heavier than she looks.” Hyemi mentioned as they laid Gyuri back down on the table.

“Yeah, no problem.” Kyurhee replied as she observed the human girl. Because of the time she had spent in the north, Kyurhee never really got a chance to know Gyuri. She wondered if she would have gotten along with the human girl.

“Princess…” Hyemi’s voice pulled Kyurhee out of her thoughts.

“Yes?”

“Um…I wanted to mention it to Princess Jaehee, but she never gave me a chance. Do you know if she noticed Gyuri’s eyes? Or did you notice them?” Hyemi asked while looking everywhere except Kyurhee’s face.

Kyurhee frowned at the priestess’s question and shook her head. “I didn’t and I don’t believe my sister did either. Why do you ask?”

Hyemi finally looked up at Kyurhee and let out a sigh. She turned to face Gyuri and rested her hands on the cold metal table. “While I was cleaning her body, I opened her eyes just to check them and well…I noticed something…”

“What?” Kyurhee asked.

“Her pupils are completely dilated. To the point where you can’t see her irises and the pupils are pitch black. Princess, whoever killed her, most likely ripped her soul from her body.” Hyemi explained and Kyurhee gasped.

“What?! That’s impossible…unless…unless…” Kyurhee shook her head in disbelief, “Frostmourne…someone has Frostmourne…Jinyoung.”





“Frostmourne.” Jaehee said and the Guardians looked at her with a questioning look.

“Frost…mourne?” Soyeon asked curiously.

“Yes,” Jaehee breathe out, “the sister blade to Shadowmourne.”

The Shadow stood up, tears slowly running down her face, and raised her axe in front of everyone. “This is Shadowmourne. This legendary axe is revered for possessing the souls of the strongest Shadow warriors that have ever lived. From the greatest general to ever lead a Shadow army to the Queen of the Shadows who died in the Battle of the Ancients.”

The mention of the queen made Eunjung perk up. Why? She didn’t understand. The Guardians around her seemed interested as well as to what Jaehee was trying to explain. No one made a sound and listened to what the Shadow had to say.

“Shadowmourne and Frostmourne are weapons that thrive on the souls they hold within them. The only difference is that one must willingly give their soul up to Shadowmourne, while Frostmourne hungers for souls constantly and will take the souls of those slain by it.”

“So whoever killed Gyuri must be wielding Frostmourne.” Eunjung said and waited for Jaehee to respond.

“It’s the only way they could have ripped Gyuri’s soul out of her body…but…but I thought the sword had been lost for a long time…” Jaehee almost whispered the last part as she drifted into her thoughts.

“If they ripped out Gyuri’s soul, what did they do with it unni?” Jiyeon asked.

Jaehee turned to look at Jiyeon and then looked down at the ground. “Whoever is wielding Frostmourne is probably a death knight and they’ve most likely turned Gyuri’s soul into a banshee.”

“Banshee?” Jiyeon questioned.

Jaehee nodded. “Yes…from what I’ve read and heard, banshee’s can be created from the souls of the fallen by death knights who know the darkest of magic. It requires the aid of a dark weapon. Not much is known about them but they say their bodies as ghastly and they wail a horrific sound.”

“How could they have done that to her…” Jiyeon was horrified at the thought. Tears began to run down her face. She hadn’t cried before but now the reality was hitting her. Eunjung placed an arm around Jiyeon’s shoulders and held her close to her side.

Jaehee used the back of her glove covered hand to wipe the tears that were starting to dry on her face. Her eyes then scanned everyone in the warehouse who had completely surrounded her. The Guardians either had their heads down or were looking back at her. The Shadow felt a wave of guilt wash over her after looking at everyone.

The majority of the Guardians had accepted her despite being a Shadow. The few times she had interacted with them, besides the Elite Six, everyone seemed friendly and would always treat her with respect as Jaehee would do to them. Jaehee had turned her weapon against them just a few moments ago.

Her rage, frustration, and sadness had blinded Jaehee for a moment. If Eunjung had not let Gyuri go, the human girl would still be alive. That was a fact, but the other fact was that Eunjung had allowed Gyuri to leave because she felt that Gyuri would be fine and would make it back to Jaehee safely. There was no way any of them could have predicted what had eventually happened in the end.

The enemy was not the Guardians, and the fault did not fall on any of them; the true enemy was the one who had attacked the priests and killed Gyuri. It was them who Jaehee needed to fight. It was them who she needed to kill. Yes, kill; because even though the action would not bring Gyuri back, at least it would prevent those bastards from killing anyone else. And it would also calm the ache in her heart, maybe.

Jaehee dropped to her knees once again and then bowed all the way down. “Eunjung, everyone, please forgive me for barging into your headquarters the way I did. I regret my decision to attack you especially when you have accepted me into your home and lives with open arms.”

The Guardians looked at each other and began to mumble amongst each other. Eunjung leaned down and helped Jaehee stand up again. “You were only doing what you felt was right. I shouldn’t have let her go. Please forgive me, Jaehee.”

The Shadow looked at the Guardian and shook her head. “No. No. Eunjung, it’s not your fault; it’s not anyone’s fault. The ones responsible are the ones who killed her. They are the ones I should have attacked instead of you guys. I ask all of you to please forgive me for raising my weapon against all of you. I was blinded by my rage and frustration.”

Eunjung had to admit to herself that she was shocked at first when Jaehee had attacked them and especially her. At one point the Guardian would have not been surprised, but Eunjung had realized that she could trust Jaehee for a while now; and especially when the Shadow had fought alongside them back at the school not long ago.

She could hear the sincerity and regret in Jaehee’s words and for that reason, she knew that in her heart she could forgive Jaehee just like Jaehee had forgiven Eunjung. The Guardian reached over to Jaehee and placed her hand on Jaehee’s armor covered right bicep.

“I think it’s safe to say that we both forgive each other for our actions. I must admit, that you attacking us was a surprise. I’m just glad Soyeon and Qri took you down when I couldn’t.” Eunjung turned to look at the high priestess and mage with a slight glimmer in her eyes. It gave them an idea that Eunjung was mostly likely chuckling on the inside.

Heat rose up to Soyeon’s cheeks and Qri smirked at Eunjung and Jaehee. “I wouldn’t mind kicking your again Shadow.”

A small smile crept up on Jaehee’s lips as she turned to face the mage. “I don’t think it would be as easy next time.”

Jaehee’s comment seemed to lighten up the mood just a bit. Qri’s smirk grew to a grin and she moved to link her right arm with Jaehee’s left. “I think it’s safe to say we all forgive you.”

Hwayoung and Boram bowed at Jaehee and Jiyeon wrapped her arms around Jaehee’s waist and gave the older woman a tight hug. The Guardians slowly began to clap and all offered a bow to Jaehee letting her acknowledge how they felt. The only one who remained silent and scowled was Hyomin. The warrior was not willing to forgive Jaehee like everyone else but her actions, or lack of thereof, went unnoticed by everyone else.

Jaehee felt a bit overwhelmed now by everyone and offered another bow when Jiyeon and Qri finally let go of her. “Thank you everyone. I will take my leave now though. I have a lot to go over with everyone back at the temple.”

“Unni, is it possible that we can see Gyuri?” Jiyeon asked Jaehee before the Shadow could walk away.

“Yes, but please give wait until tomorrow morning. You and everyone else who wants to see her can come by. Also, can you please inform Jieun? I think she needs to know.” Jaehee asked Jiyeon and the younger girl nodded.

“I will call her and give her the news.” Jiyeon said and Jaehee nodded.

The death knight walked over to where her helmet had landed and the Guardians parted away from her to allow her to leave. Hyomin who had been silent finally spoke up when Jaehee picked up her helmet. The warrior was surprised no one had asked anything about how Jaehee’s appearance had drastically changed when she was fighting Eunjung.

“Jaehee,” Hyomin spoke up. “I’m surprised no one asked this but even though you look human right now, your appearance was different not too long ago.”

Everyone turned their eyes towards Hyomin and then turned to Jaehee remembering that what the warrior was saying was true. The shock of finding out that Gyuri was not only dead but also that her soul had been ripped out of her body, made them forget about Jaehee’s appearance.

Jaehee let go of her human disguise and turned to face the Guardians and Jiyeon in her natural form. “You mean this? Have you Guardians never seen what a Shadow really looks like?”

“Obviously not or we wouldn’t have been surprised by it.” Hyomin responded and walked close to Jaehee to observe her carefully.

“I see…” Jaehee trailed off.

“We only knew of your abilities to move within shadows, hence the name.”

“Human disguises became a custom after the War of the Ancients when humans took control and our numbers dwindled. We’re demons Hyomin, but we’re not all evil like the ones you most likely faced in the past or in recent times. Now, if you excuse me, I really need to get going.” Jaehee turned around to walk out of the warehouse and put her helmet on after she was outside.

Hyomin, crossed her arms and watched Jaehee walk outside. The rest of the Guardians walked up behind the warrior and looked on as Jaehee was beginning to cast the spell to summon her mount. The warrior began thinking of all the times she had fought against Shadows and remembered that most of the time their eyes would glow but never had one truly revealed themselves until now.

“They’re demons…that explains a lot actually.” Boram commented to Hwayoung to nodded at the hunter.

Jaehee had mounted her undead horse and was ready to take off towards the temple when all of the sudden she felt a powerful dark aura heading towards the warehouses. The Guardians felt the aura as well and everyone headed outside of the main warehouse to see someone quickly approaching them on a horse.

Kyurhee’s mount stopped before Jaehee and the Guardians. She dismounted and the horse disappeared behind her. “Jaehee!”

“Kyurhee…how did you find this place?” Jaehee asked as she dismounted her undead horse and removed her helmet.

“You left a strong trace behind but that’s beside the point,” Kyurhee replied and continued, “there’s something you need to know about Gyuri.”

“Her soul was ripped out of her by Frostmourne.” Jaehee replied.

“How did you know?” Kyurhee’s eyes widened in surprise.

Jaehee side eyed Soyeon, who was standing behind her now, and then looked at her sister. “Soyeon found their bodies before Sangchu and Seunghyun did. She noticed it.”

Kyurhee looked over at the priestess then turned to look back at her sister. “It was Jinyoung. He’s wielding Frostmourne. I’m positive.”

“How do you know he is?”

“The sword he wields. Those times I faced him while I was in the north. The way that thing glows and seems to whisper things. It’s like it hungers for something. It’s creepy.”

“We don’t know what the sword looks like but…but that sounds like it…I remember when he struck me with a blade. It glowed blue.”

“That’s the sword he’s been wielding this whole time. I’m positive that it is Frostmourne.”

“That bastard!” Jaehee gripped her axe even tighter and clenched her jaw.

“It’s also most likely the reason he attacked all of you at the school that day with a small army. He wanted to take you out and then strike at your weakness. He and Kwangsoo have been doing that this whole time. First with dad, then mom, me and now you.” Kyurhee explained and raised her fist at the air. Those two were despicable.

“Let’s head back to the temple. We’ll meet with Seunghyun once we get back.” Jaehee turned to look at the Guardians and offered them a nod before summoning her mount. The two Shadows mounted their horses and took off at an incredible speed leaving dust in the air behind them.





The black orb that once was only draining away the life essence of King Daesung had doubled in size after draining most of the life essence of Queen TaeIn. The royal couple was still hanging by their arms in the cave Kyurhee had last seen both of them. Kwangsoo was only keeping them alive because he wanted to drain the entire royal family together.

After everything Jinyoung had gone through to capture Kyurhee and failing time and time again, Kwangsoo had a good feeling that Kyurhee was stronger than both of her parents; and by what Jinyoung told him about Jaehee, the warlock had a feeling the younger of the two sisters had hidden powers that were yet to be seen. Once their plan was completed, and he drained the royal family of their life essence, Kwangsoo would finally be able to create the famed Ashbringer.

A huge satisfying grin marked the evil warlock’s face as he checked on the King and Queen. The unconscious couple didn’t even stir while Kwangsoo was in their presence. The warlock made his way out of the cave and headed back to the area of the camp where he had a few guards looking over the group that had aided Kyurhee.

Yonghwa, Jonghyun, Jungshin, Minhyuk, and Jongkook had been jailed behind a metal cage that was infused with magic so that they could not escape. Jinyoung had interrogated the five men after Kyurhee had escaped. He had hoped to get all the information he could out of them, but in the end their answers had been useless to the death knight. None of them knew anything other than the mission they had been sent to do.

Jinyoung could have killed them if he had wanted to, but he felt that letting them see Kyurhee suffer once she was captured was better. The rogues and warrior had lost some body mass after being jailed. The meals given to them were barely enough to keep them sustained but what kept them going was the will and hope that Kyurhee and her sister would eventually rescue them.

In the darkness of the night, Kwangsoo got closer to the cage and grinned at Yonghwa who was the only one awake at the moment. The rogue was starting to doze off but the sight of the warlock made him perk up. He stared at the man on the other side of the bars and could see the grin on his face despite the shadow that covered it completely.

“Let your friends know that in a few days Princess Kyurhee and Princess Jaehee will join their parents in the cave, and the five of you, will finally meet your end.” Kwangsoo cackled at his words and turned around to walk away.

Yonghwa grit his teeth as he watched the warlock walk away. There was no way Kyurhee would allow that. She was brave and strong. If the two Princesses would make it back to the north, it would be to stop these evil men. There was no way they would get captured. Yonghwa decided to keep his resolve strong. He would not bring the morale down for his friends.





“Man, I can’t believe how scary and powerful Jaehee looked when Eunjung knocked off her helmet. I know we’ve fought a lot of Shadows but she was like on another level.” Hwayoung commented kicking a small rock near her feet.

Boram and Qri were leaning against each other while sitting on the hood of Boram’s Jeep. Soyeon was leaning against the front of the vehicle watching Hwayoung play around with the rock near her feet.

“What I can’t believe is that none us have ever seen the Shadows true forms until now. Some of us have been Guardians for a really really long time. I always suspected there was something more to them than just being ordinary humans, but now, well they’re not even human.” Boram said.

“It does explain a lot.” Qri agreed.

“Yeah, those glowing eyes and the horns…I’m surprised they don’t have wings or a tail.” Hwayoung chuckled and turned to Soyeon. “Soyeon, you and Qri did kick Jaehee’s pretty good though. I was impressed.”

“It was easier than expected considering her power did seem stronger today than last time we fought alongside her.” Qri mentioned.

Boram gently grabbed Qri’s left hand and held it her own. “I really thought for a moment that she was going to kill Eunjung so I was worried for a moment when you faced her. You really outsmarted her though so I’m really proud of you.”

Qri blushed at Boram’s comment and gave the short hunter a quick peck on the lips. Hwayoung smiled at the short moment of affection between the two girls. Soyeon moved away from the Jeep and took two steps forward.

“I don’t think Jaehee wanted to kill Eunjung. Hurt her yes, but not kill her. And her powers were probably intensified by her emotions. As a death knight, her fighting abilities not only depend on her physical prowess but on her magical one as well. It didn’t seem like she used her magic against Eunjung and what she did use against Qri was minimal, defensive at most.”

Hwayoung nodded in agreement as she pondered Soyeon’s words. “Hmm…you’re right unni. That last attacked you used on her though, that was awesome!”

Boram and Qri giggled at Hwayoung’s excitement and a slight blush covered Soyeon’s cheeks.




While the four Guardians talked outside, Eunjung and Jiyeon had returned to the main warehouse. Jiyeon had gone to grab her phone to call Jieun which left Eunjung on the couch by herself but only for a moment. Hyomin took a seat next to their leader and looked over at Eunjung who sat there with her expressionless face like always.

“You could have killed Jaehee during your fight, but you were holding back. Why?” Hyomin asked and narrowed her eyes at Eunjung.

Eunjung remained silent and didn’t turn to look at the warrior. Hyomin continued, “The Eunjung I met a long time ago would have not wasted time dueling her opponent instead she would have taken them out for good. Have you forgotten what it is to be a Guardian? Because lately you’ve grown too soft.”

Eunjung still didn’t move or respond to Hyomin’s comments and this frustrated the warrior to no end. “She raised her weapon against us! She could have killed many of us if Soyeon and Qri didn’t step in and stop her when you couldn’t.”

Still nothing from Eunjung and Hyomin closed her eyes and gripped the couch seat until her knuckles turned white. “Answer me!”

“Despite not knowing it was Jaehee at first, I knew she didn’t intend to kill me. Honestly, I failed to protect Gyuri. She had all the right to take out her frustrations on me.” Eunjung’s response had Hyomin flabbergasted.

“What? Eunjung-“ Hyomin was cut off by Eunjung.

“Guardians need to remain calm in any situation and evaluate what is happening to do the right thing. I know that we kill, we have killed, but we did it because it was what the situation required. The one that just happened didn’t. I think the one who’s forgotten to be a Guardian is you.” Eunjung stood up and walked away from Hyomin before the warrior could respond.

Hyomin slammed her fists on the couch and didn’t turn to watch Eunjung walk away. Eunjung’s words had angered and offended her. In her heart and mind, Hyomin felt she exemplified what it meant to be a Guardian, and at the moment, Eunjung, to Hyomin, did not do that.





Jiyeon was rubbing the back of her neck while she waited for Jieun to respond. It was late, but she hoped Jieun hadn’t gone to sleep yet. After a few rings, Jieun’s phone when straight to voicemail. Jiyeon stomped her foot and hung up only to redial again. She started pacing when she heard the phone ringing again in her ear.

“Hello, Jiyeon? Sorry I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth. What’s up?”

“Jieun…” Jiyeon paused for a moment.

“Yes…?”

“I… I… I have some bad news.”

“Oh? What happened Jiyeon? Are you ok? Did something happen to Eunjung?”

“No, no, Eunjung is fine. I’m fine.” There was a pregnant pause from Jiyeon. “It’s about Gyuri unni.”

“Gyuri? What happened? Is she ok?”

Jiyeon felt a knot in and before she knew it, she was silently sobbing on the line.

“Jiyeon! Tell me! You’re crying! What happened to Gyuri?”

“Jieun…” Jiyeon cried her best friend’s name out, “Gyuri is…she’s…. she’s dead. Gyuri died.”

“What?!” Jiyeon heard the phone drop and just sat on the line waiting on Jieun to say something again. She heard some ruffling and then Jieun continued.

“Dead? But how? Why? Oh my God, what happened? What about Jaehee unni?”

Jieun was freaking out and she didn’t even know how she managed to ask what she was asking. Despite having really disliked Gyuri at one point, as of late they were close, and now the older girl was dead. How was that possible? Jieun had so many questions. Tears rapidly ran down Jieun’s face as she waited for Jiyeon to respond.

“She was murdered Jieun. We believe it was the same guys who attacked us at the school.” Jiyeon was still crying but managed to get all that out even through her tears. On the other side of the line she didn’t get a response except for the sound of Jieun crying.

Jiyeon joined her friend as the two of them let their emotions out. After a few minutes, Jieun finally spoke.

“How could they have done such a cruel thing…Jiyeon…where is she now? Is she with Jaehee unni? I haven’t heard anything from her.”

“Yes, Jaehee has Gyuri with her. She asked me to call you and let you know. We’re going to go see Gyuri tomorrow morning. I know you want to join us. Eunjung and I will pick you up.”

“Of course.”

“Ok, I will see you tomorrow Jieun. Try and get some rest ok.”

“See you tomorrow Jiyeon and I will try. Bye.”

Jiyeon heard Jieun hang up and moved her phone to her pocket. Eunjung placed her hand on the younger girl’s shoulder and Jiyeon turned to her girlfriend and wrapped her arms around Eunjung’s waist. The older girl embraced her girlfriend tightly and let the younger girl cry unto her chest.

Eunjung gently rubbed Jiyeon’s back as the younger girl tried to compose herself. “Are you ready to go home?”

Jiyeon nodded and allowed Eunjung to guide both of them towards the Guardian’s motorcycle.





Seunghyun and Jiyong sat in silence inside the temple. They had taken a seat in in one of the middle rows and were cuddling with Seunghyun’s arm around Jiyong shoulders and the warlock’s head resting on the taller man’s shoulder. It had been a long day for everyone. While they were physically fine, mentally both Seunghyun and Jiyong were tired.

The dark energies had surrounded the entire room and encased their bodies; soothing their minds and allowing a moment of peace and rest. Kyurhee and Jaehee looked at each other when they walked into the temple and then turned their sight towards their best friends. The two women walked along side each other and took a seat behind the two men.

Seunghyun and Jiyong did not even turn around, they were too focused on their moment to realize they had company. The sound of Jaehee’s armor and her helmet being placed on the bench fell on deaf ears.

“I’m sorry to interrupt your moment, but I need to speak with both of you.” Jaehee’s voice finally broke the two men out of their moment.

Seunghyun and Jiyong simultaneously turned around to face the two women behind them. They were surprised to see Jaehee in her armor, but the expression on her face let the two of them know to not ask anything about it.

Acknowledging their attention, Jaehee continued. “Kyurhee and I have come to the conclusion that it was Jinyoung who attacked Junseop, Hyori and Gyuri.”

“Her soul was ripped out as soon as she died. Only death knights with a certain weapon can do that.” Kyurhee added.

“Obviously, I wield Shadowmourne, so that means that Jinyoung is most likely wielding Frostmourne.” Jaehee explained.

Seunghyun nodded in understanding. “I remember battling him before Jiyong and I returned. That sword in his hand was incredibly powerful and it seemed to hunger. From what we’ve heard of such weapon, that has to be it.”

Jaehee and Kyurhee nodded. Jiyong scrunched his eyebrows trying to remember the weapon the death knight had that night. The glow of it was eerie but beside that, he never got a good look at it. His train of thought was lost when Jaehee spoke again.

“We’ve been idle too long. We cannot wait any longer and just sit here waiting for them to do whatever horrific thing they plan to do. Those bastards have taken the people who are the most precious in my life and I will not wait anymore.”

“You want to move forward and attack them?” Seunghyun asked.


“Yes.” Jaehee replied. “Tomorrow morning the Guardians will arrive here at the temple to give Gyuri their final goodbyes. While they’re here I want you to ready the soldiers and prepare the supplies. I want to move out the following day.”

“While agree with you, we still need some kind of strategy. We can’t just barge into their camp without a plan.” Kyurhee mentioned and placed her hand on her sister’s forearm.

“Kyurhee’s right.” Jiyong agreed.

“We will discuss that tomorrow. I have an idea but I still need everyone’s opinion and ideas. It’s late, you guys should go get some rest.” Jaehee told them and stood up ready to walk out of the temple.

Kyurhee, Seunghyun and Jiyong nodded in agreement and got up as well. The four of them made their way out of the temple. Seunghyun and Jiyong headed for the warrior’s car and pulled off not long after getting inside of it. The two sisters watched them pull away and once the guys were out of sight, Kyurhee turned to her sister.

Jaehee had already begun to walk towards the armory but Kyurhee’s words stopped her for a moment. “Are you coming home for the night?”

Jaehee didn’t turn around to respond. “Maybe. There are still some things I need to take care of.”

“Ok. I’ll see you later then. Goodnight sis.” Kyurhee told her and then turned towards her car to leave the temple.

Jaehee nodded and continued on towards the armory. Within minutes of arriving, the death knight removed her armor and set it back unto the rack that held it before. She placed her weapon back in its holder and then Jaehee headed towards the infirmary.

Hyemi was preparing to leave when Jaehee arrived and she informed the taller woman that Gyuri was currently inside the refrigerated room that they kept the bodies of the dead in before holding their funerals. Jaehee’s face was hit with a cold blast of air when she opened the door to the room but being a death knight, she was used to cold air like that.

It reminded Jaehee of the freezing gusts of air that struck her body relentlessly when she was in northern Canada training. Any normal person would have frozen to death in this room if they stayed there longer than a few minutes. But Jaehee was not a normal person, and this room felt as cold as her soul did at the moment.

The death knight was not planning to leave the room tonight. She wanted to spend as much time as she could next to her girlfriend’s body. Jaehee ran her hand down Gyuri’s cold face and arm before placing a kiss on the dead girl’s lips. The Shadow took a seat on the floor next to the table Gyuri was on and dozed off for the night.




Jiyeon was extremely groggy and tired when she woke up. Too many thoughts had been running through her mind on her way home. Jiyeon’s parents had noticed that their daughter was acting a bit weird when she got home, but Jiyeon had assured her parents she was just tired and needed to rest. Jiyeon did not want to tell her parents of Gyuri’s death so that she wouldn’t have to explain how it happened.

There were a lot of things going on now that her parents would not understand so it was best to just keep them uninformed about it. Luckily for Jiyeon, they hadn’t questioned her about it. Yawning one last time and then rubbing her eyes, Jiyeon stood up to head towards her bathroom when Eunjung suddenly opened the door the young girl’s room.

“Good morning Jiyeon.” Eunjung greeted her girlfriend and if she could truly smile, there would have been a huge grin plastered on the Guardian’s face.

Jiyeon was now really awake and looking like a deer caught in headlights. “Eunjung?”

Eunjung nodded.

“Why are you here so early!? I’m not even ready!” Jiyeon panicked and pulled open her underwear drawer looking for the garments she would use today.

“There is no rush Jiyeon. I would still like for everyone to get to the Shadow’s temple early but you don’t have to rush. Plus, I brought Qri along. She’ll keep your mom entertained.” Eunjung explained and Jiyeon let out a sigh of relief.

While Jiyeon got ready, Eunjung and Qri kept Jiyeon’s mother company and the older woman made sure the two girls got fed as well. She had served them a hearty breakfast which the two Guardians ate while Qri gossiped with Mrs. Park.

By the time they finished their meal, Jiyeon had finally made it out to the kitchen letting Eunjung and Qri know that she was ready to go. Jiyeon’s mom was not going to let her only daughter leave the house without eating her breakfast so the two Guardians assured the younger girl that she could eat without rushing.

Conversation was kept light and entertaining for the most part as Jiyeon ate, and this really helped avoid talking about what all three girls were going to do along with the rest of the Guardians. Once Jiyeon finished, they said their goodbyes to Jiyeon’s mom, and headed for Jieun’s house.

When they arrived, Jieun offered a warm hug to all three girls and to their surprise, Taeyang was there waiting with Jieun. She had informed her boyfriend about what had happened to Gyuri, and the young man wanted to accompany the Guardians to the funeral. He wished to give his condolences to Jaehee, who in the past few months had begun to consider Taeyang a friend.

On their way back to the warehouses, Jieun and Jiyeon had discussed how little sleep the two of them had the night before. The two girls reminisced of the moments they had shared with their diseased friend, even the bad ones. Jieun, despite just recently finding out about everything, understood that the situation on both sides was not good.

When Eunjung pulled up in the parking lot of the warehouses, she noticed that everyone who was going to go to the Shadow’s temple was already outside waiting on them to arrive. Jiyeon was surprised to see that less than half of the Guardians wanted to go. She thought perhaps more Guardians had gotten to know Gyuri or just wanted to pay their respects but that wasn’t the case.

“Everyone is ready to go.” Soyeon told Eunjung right after Eunjung turned the Jeep around to face the exit to lead the caravan.

“The party seems smaller than I thought and I don’t see Hyomin.” Eunjung told the high priestess as she observed the Guardians waiting outside.

“Hyomin said she wasn’t going.” Soyeon replied and Eunjung nodded in understanding.

“Jiyeon, I’m going to ride with Boram. You can take the front seat.” Qri told Jiyeon as she got out of the Jeep and headed towards Boram’s. Jiyeon had originally decided to sit in the back seat so she could speak with Jieun, but once Qri left, Jiyeon got up and jumped in the front seat next to Eunjung.

Eunjung pulled her Jeep up ahead so that the line of cars behind her could follow her to the temple. Once she heard all the vehicles rev up after starting, she pulled off and everyone followed behind her. The caravan was a total of ten vehicles which made it easy for everyone to follow. The drive to the Shadow’s temple was at least an hour drive, but the drive towards it was a silent one, at least for the Jeep Eunjung was driving.

Outside of the temple, Jaehee was waiting for the Guardians to arrive. The death knight had asked Kyurhee and Hyemi to move Gyuri’s body to the warrior’s training grounds. It was the one spot in the temple grounds which had the least amount of dark energy in it. The Guardians wouldn’t be affected as much there as they would have been in any other place.

The warriors had set up a stone table to lay Gyuri’s body on and had decorated the area around her with traditional Shadow funeral decorations. White flowers surrounded the human girl’s body and straight ahead from her head, a smaller podium held a photo of Gyuri with a bowl of fruit offering and incense burned on each side. It was a beautiful set up for Gyuri, and Jaehee had really liked it and appreciated the warriors’ efforts to give her a nice viewing.

The sight of the ten Jeeps pulling up to the parking lot brought a slight smile to Jaehee’s face. She was glad to see the Guardians finally arrive. As soon as Eunjung parked, Jieun and Jiyeon jumped out of the Jeep and ran towards Jaehee. Jieun reached the taller woman first and wrapped her arms around Jaehee’s waist and pulled her friend into a strong hug.

“Jaehee unni! I’m so sorry!” Jieun cried into Jaehee’s chest and the taller woman squeezed Jieun tightly. Hearing Jieun’s voice as she cried brought all her feelings back out and Jaehee began to cry as well.

When Jieun finally let Jaehee go, Jiyeon gave Jaehee a hug as well, though hers wasn’t as tight as the one Jieun had given Jaehee. It wasn’t because Jiyeon didn’t want to, but because she knew her powers could hurt Jaehee and she didn’t want to cause her friend anymore pain.

Behind Jaehee stood Kyurhee alongside Seunghyun, Jiyong, Sangchu and Hyemi. They all offered a bow to the Guardians and the Guardians did the same. Jaehee looked over at the group of Guardians and noticed that it wasn’t as big as she would have expected; regardless, she was glad this group had shown up to pay their respects.

“Please follow us.” Kyurhee motioned and began to lead the group with Jaehee, Jiyeon and Jieun bringing up the rear.

In front of the two girls and the Shadow, was Taeyang. He stopped briefly and offered Jaehee his condolences to which Jaehee nodded and thanked him. They continued on behind the group. Once everyone arrived in the warrior’s training grounds, the Guardians took their turns walking up to Gyuri and offering a prayer for her. They took a stick of incense, lit it up and placed it in their holders as they walked away and stood on each side of the area.

Finally, Jiyeon and Jieun approached their friend and both girls felt a rush of tears run down their faces. They had cried before, but this time seeing Gyuri lying there, her body cold and stiff from the loss of life, really struck them hard. Their cries were loud and uncontrollable for a moment. Jaehee was crying silently behind the two human girls while rubbing their backs, trying to soothe their heartache.

“I know we had our issues in the past…but…but…” Jieun cried out as she held Gyuri’s hand in her own. “But we managed to work that out, and we got to know each other. We had grown so close Gyuri unni…and now you’re gone…”

Jiyeon placed her hand on Gyuri’s shoulder and nodded as Jieun cried out her feelings. “We will miss you so much unni…”

Jiyeon moved her hand up to touch Gyuri’s face and as soon as her hand made contact, Jiyeon’s eyes went wide. A rush of images invaded Jiyeon’s mind. She stood paralyzed for a few minutes not believing everything that she was saying. Everyone noticed Jiyeon’s sudden stiffness and shocked face which alerted them that something had happened.

“Jiyeon? Jiyeon!” Jaehee placed her hand on Jiyeon’s shoulder and gently shook the girl. This caused Jiyeon’s hand to move away from Gyuri’s face and it brought Jiyeon back to reality.

“Jiyeon what happened?” Eunjung and Jieun asked the girl at the same time.

Jiyeon took a few steps back and turned to look at Jaehee. The Shadow looked at Jiyeon expectantly. Jiyeon closed her eyes and shook her head hoping that what she had seen would go away but the images were engraved into her mind now.

“I saw it all.” Jiyeon spoke out while shaking her head.

“Saw what?” Jaehee asked.

“What happened to her…who killed Gyuri unni.” Jiyeon said while looking at Jaehee directly now.

“Your powers must have triggered that when you touched her.” Soyeon said as she walked closer to Jiyeon.

“Tell me who it was! Tell me what happened!” Jaehee demanded.

“I… I…” Jiyeon tried to speak but she just couldn’t. She couldn’t speak about it.

“Jiyeon!”

Jiyeon brought her hands up to her head and finally thought of something. How to show everyone what she had seen. Hoping it would work, Jiyeon moved away from everyone to open space and raised her hands in the air. Jiyeon’s hands began to glow and right above where she held them, a screen of light appeared.

The scene began to play before everyone. It was dark and the only light that could be seen was from the lightning that struck the area. The light from the lightning helped identify that they were looking through someone’s eyes; most likely Gyuri’s eyes. Suddenly a door opened and Hyori was saying something while unbuckling Gyuri and then furiously pulling her out of the car.

Gyuri seemed to have fallen after being pulled out of the car. As she walked, she noticed Junseop unconscious on the ground and a group of scary looking men surrounded her. The main guy in the middle, wearing a heavy metal armor and wielding a sword that glowed took his helmet off revealing to everyone that it was Park Jinyoung. He seemed to have told Gyuri something but suddenly it seemed as though she had fallen again.

Two corpses were suddenly thrown in front of Gyuri. Everyone could see the girl’s hand reaching out trying to reach the body of the man and the woman. Jaehee realized at that moment that what she was seeing through Gyuri’s eyes were her parents. Jinyoung had murdered Gyuri’s parents.

The hand never reached the bodies and once again the imaged was tilted to sideways indicating that somehow Gyuri had fallen again, this time on her side. Hyori could be seen next, pulling Gyuri up and yelling in her face. Once again, the screen went dark as Gyuri’s face hit the ground.

The next few seconds showed Gyuri pushing herself up and turning around to see Hyori holding the glowing sword in her hand. The image on the screen shook and hands could be seen waving no at the priestess who was sneering at Gyuri. Moments later Hyori was right in front of Gyuri and the human girl’s sight moved down to see the hilt and handle sticking out of her midsection.

She moved her eyes up to see Hyori one last time and then the screen went dark again. Jiyeon lowered her arms and fell to her knees in sadness and exhaustion. Eunjung quickly moved to support her girlfriend while everyone else kept a shocked expression on their faces.

Jaehee dropped to her knees just like Jiyeon and slammed her fists on the ground. A deep agonizing scream escaped her lips as she turned to look up at the sky.