Chapter Ten

Masquerade

Jaehee made it to her class a few minutes before it started thanks to Jiyeon showing her where it was. She was still reeling over what Jiyeon had told her. I guess Eunjung must have told her who she is, but I’m just glad that she trusts me. Eunjung on the other hand…I need to win her over.

She took her mind off her thoughts for a few so she could look at the classroom and find a seat. She climbed a few steps that were near the door and noticed Jieun sitting in one of the higher up rows looking down at her. Jaehee sighed at the sight of Jieun and noticed that she couldn’t seat next to her since the seats were taken. In part that was good; she needed to give the shorter girl some space and time to calm down.

A guy walked past her and headed for one of the middle rows. He was going to take the seat next to Gyuri but she yelled at him to go elsewhere because the seat was taken. The small commotion made Jaehee look towards them. The guy bowed and apologized to Gyuri and turned around to get a seat in another row. Gyuri waved at Jaehee and motioned for her to come over.

Jaehee waved back at her and made her way towards Gyuri. Part of her was excited to be able to seat next to the beautiful girl but another part of her felt bad because she knew it would probably anger Jieun. She really didn’t have much of a choice at this moment since it was really the only seat left in the room. Luckily for her, she didn’t have to walk past many people since Gyuri was in the fifth seat from the isle and had saved the fourth one for Jaehee.

“Hi, I kept my promise to save you seat.” Gyuri leaned over and whispered to Jaehee once the taller woman had taken her seat.

“I see that. Thank you.” Jaehee smiled at her and then turned to look up. She saw Jieun looking at her and then the shorter girl scoffed and turned to look elsewhere.

Gyuri had turned to look at where Jaehee was looking and chuckled. “Please don’t tell me that she’s jealous because you’ve found someone much better than her.”

“I honestly don’t know what’s wrong with her besides the fact that she really dislikes you. We’ve just become friends and she’s already mad at me because of you. So I want to know what exactly you did to make her dislike you so much.” Jaehee asked while taking a notebook and a pen out of her backpack.

“I used to pick on her. She was a band geek and super nerdy. I was the popular girl that everyone wanted to be friends with or date. Everyone expected me to be really cold hearted, mean, and pick someone to bully. It just happened to be her and Jiyeon, but I mainly picked on Jieun. Honestly, I always felt bad for doing it, but that’s high school life.” Gyuri explained.

“It seems like you’ve kept the attitude from high school though.” Jaehee mentioned.

“I didn’t want to but-” Gyuri stopped talking when she saw their professor walk in. He was a middle aged man who was very strict and disliked people talking in his class unless they were discussing a lesson.

“Good morning everyone. Please take out your books and open them to page 150. We’re starting off with a new lesson today. Please read the first chapter, you have fifteen minutes.” Their professor told them and then opened his own book.

Gyuri leaned closer to Jaehee and whispered, “I’ll finish telling you after class.”

Jaehee nodded and proceeded to read the chapter of the book the professor had assigned them. After the fifteen minutes had passed a discussion was started on what they read. They proceeded to do the same thing for the next two chapters, read for fifteen minutes and then discussed what they had read. She didn’t input much into the discussion because she felt a little lost. It had been seven years since she had been in school and right now she feeling like she needed to study a lot to catch up. On the other hand she was impressed with how smart Gyuri was and how her comments helped made the discussion interesting.

After the hour had passed, the professor assigned them their homework and told them they were free to go. He packed up his things and left along with the rest of the students. Jieun was among one of the first students to leave out of the class and she did it without even giving Jaehee a glance. Jaehee was still confused about the entire situation with Jieun; she just hoped Jieun would talk to her once again. She stood up from her seat and walked over to the stairs and waited for Gyuri who was still packing her things in her bag.

“You were pretty quiet during the lesson. Did you not understand?” Gyuri asked as both of them descended the stairs.

“I understood it but I didn’t know much about the topic except what I had read. I think not being in school for seven years made me forget a lot of things.” Jaehee mentioned.

“Seven years? Wait, how old are you?” Gyuri asked.

“Twenty five.” Jaehee replied.

“What?!” Gyuri asked surprised. “What was more important than school that you waited seven years to return?”

Jaehee chuckled nervously, “Um…I don’t know. I was actually scared to go to college. Mainly because I don’t know what to major in.” Her reply was somewhat true, but a lot of it had to do with the fact that she spent the last seven years perfecting her skills as a Death Knight.

“And now you do?” Gyuri asked.

“Not really.” Jaehee replied and both of them laughed.

They exited the classroom and continued their conversation down the hallway. “I shouldn’t be one to judge though. I did take a year off before going back to school.” Gyuri said.

“Oh really? Why did you do that?” Jaehee asked genuinely interested.

“I took a year off to volunteer at an animal shelter. I used to feed the animals, and clean their cages and them as well. I even started to help with those that we found wounded. They helped get an internship at a veterinary clinic as well. I didn’t get paid, but I learned a lot. That’s why I’m in school now; to get my education and then go to veterinary school so that I can become a veterinarian. Animals are my passion.” Gyuri smiled brightly.

“Wow! That’s really cool and sweet. But that same care you gave to the animals, don’t you think you could give it to humans?” Jaehee asked and hoped that Gyuri wouldn’t get mad.

Gyuri dropped her head and looked at the ground. “You’re right. I shouldn’t have been pressured to be so mean. Like I said, I felt bad doing it and when I came here I was hoping for a fresh start but people began treating me the same way. It’s like if I never truly left high school.”

Jaehee stopped walking and placed her hands on Gyuri’s shoulders which caused her to stop walking as well. “Look, if you fall into that whole thing again then you’ll still continue to do what you used to do. In fact, you’re still doing it. You’ve made some not so nice comments, and if you wish it to stop then I suggest you apologize to those who you have bullied.”

Gyuri looked up at Jaehee and nodded. “You’re right. Thank you for your advice Jaehee.” She stood on her toes and gave the taller women a kiss on the cheek.

Jaehee blushed and smiled like an idiot. “Y-you’re welcome.”

“What class do you have next?” Gyuri asked her.

“Um…” Jaehee pulled her schedule out of her pocket, “Science in room 415B.”

“So do I. Let’s head back this way to it.” Gyuri linked her arm with Jaehee’s and led both of them to the class.





Kyurhee was frantic after her encounter with the nobleman. She had made her way to the area that Jaehee used as her personal training ground. She took a seat at the edge of the shallow pit her younger sister had dug and filled with skeletons. She panted heavily as she caught her breath and repeatedly slammed her hands on the ground. Seeing the nobleman brought out one of her worst memories that she thought she had forgotten about.

After kicking some of the skeletons around in frustration, she headed for her car and drove off burning tires and leaving smoke behind. About and hour later, Kyurhee was driving down the street that led to Korea University. She parked her car just ahead of the main gates and quickly made her way inside. The rogue wasn’t even sure what time her sister got out of class but seeing as how it was noon, she expected to see people making their way out of the buildings and heading for lunch.

Kyurhee managed to walk halfway towards the stairs when the main doors of the building in front of her burst out with life. Hundreds of students started to make their way towards her but she didn’t spot her sister in the crowd. Her impatience was growing thin so she headed to the direction on her right in hopes of spotting the younger woman.





Jieun had made her way to one of the park areas in the school grounds after her second class was over. Sitting under the shade of the biggest tree, eating her lunch and playing her guitar would help her relieve all the frustration she had boiled up inside her. She made quick work of the food her mom had packed for her and then pulled out her guitar from its case and started playing a few notes.

Kyurhee was nearing the tree when she heard the light melody coming from a guitar. She stood behind a tree facing the girl who was playing the instrument. She took her eyes off the girl and scanned her surroundings and noticed people walking around or sitting at some of the benches talking to their friends or eating their food. At this moment she wished that she hadn’t left her phone back at the temple and brought more than just her two daggers. It would have been easier to find her sister that way.






“Where is Jieun? She should have been out here already.” Jiyeon said while looking around for her friend. Jieun would always be the one to make it out of the school first for lunch and wait for Jiyeon at the bottom of the stairs located in the main building.

“Perhaps she went elsewhere? Call her.” Eunjung suggested.

“Good idea.” Jiyeon pulled out her phone and dialed her friend’s number. After a few rings the phone went directly to voice mail. She tried again twice and the same thing happened. “Damn it! She’s not answering.”

“Something wrong?” Jiyeon and Eunjung heard Jaehee’s voice behind them and turned around to face her. Next to her was Gyuri much too both girls’ dismay.

“I was calling Jieun and she’s not picking up her phone. You haven’t seen her have you?” Jiyeon asked Jaehee.

The taller woman shook her head. “Not since our first class. She practically ran out of the classroom once it was over. And she’s not in my science class.”

“She must still be upset. We need to find her.” Jiyeon said and Jaehee nodded in agreement.





Kyurhee kept her eyes on the girl playing the guitar. She was debating on asking her if she knew who Jaehee was or just abandon that idea and keep walking around the school grounds. Jieun on the other hand got annoyed when she heard her phone ring so she sent the call to voice mail and then shut off the phone. She turned back to her guitar to continue playing.

“Hey kid, can I ask you something?” The sudden voice startled Jieun causing her to drop the guitar. She looked up at the owner of the voice and noticed that she was dressed pretty similar to Eunjung but it wasn’t the older girl.

“Y-yes?” Jieun answered and stood up to get a better look at the tall woman. She studied the woman’s facial features and noticed she looked a lot like Jaehee except the make up and long hair made her look a lot more feminine than Jaehee. She also noticed the purple eyes and raised an eyebrow at them. Nice contacts I must say.

“I’m trying to find my sister. Perhaps you know her?” Kyurhee asked her.

“What’s her name?” Jieun asked and then bent down to pick up her guitar.

“Jaehee.” Kyurhee replied and Jieun dropped her guitar once again.

She pointed her finger at Kyurhee, “You’re that jerk’s sister?! Oh what a day! What a day!”

“I guess you do know her then. Take me to her.” Kyurhee demanded and Jieun huffed. Who did this woman think she was?

“No. I don’t want to see her so you can find her yourself.” Jieun shook her head and once again bent down to pick up her guitar and placed it back in its case again. When she turned around again, she found a very sharp dagger being pointed at . She gulped and looked up at the taller woman.

“Look, either you take me to her or I slice your throat open here.” Kyurhee threatened her and Jieun gave her a slight nod.

“Okay, okay. Just let me gather my stuff and I’ll take you to where she might be.”

“Not to where she might be, to where she is!” Kyurhee demanded once more. Jieun nodded once more and felt relieved when Kyurhee pulled her dagger back and placed it in the holder that was covered up by her leather jacket.

She quickly gathered her things and began to lead Jaehee’s sister to the place where she usually met up with Jiyeon. There couldn’t be any other place for Jaehee to go except there since she didn’t really know anyone other than the two of them. Unless she went off with Gyuri somewhere, Jaehee had to be by the stairs of the main building.

Jieun also couldn’t believe how dangerous Jaehee’s sister was. Now that she thought about it, Jaehee wasn’t so bad after all and at least Gyuri never held a knife to . She continued walking at a fast pace because of her nervousness and the woman behind her was only trailing her by a few steps. She made the right turn towards the mainly building a sighed a sigh of relief once she saw her friends. would not be sliced open today.

Eunjung’s senses suddenly became highly alert and she began scanning the area around her. She was used to Jaehee’s aura now but now there was a second Shadow’s aura and it was hostile. Her eyes looked everywhere and eventually settled to her right where she saw Jieun walking with a tall woman behind her. That’s who it was she had sensed. The woman behind Jieun was a Shadow and very hostile one at that.

“Jieun!” She shouted out and began running towards the shorter girl. Everyone else turned to look at Eunjung run off and then followed after her.

Jaehee noticed the woman behind Jieun and noticed the slight glow of purple coming from her eyes. “Kyurhee!” She ran faster now, knowing that Eunjung had sensed her and was probably going to attack her.

Kyurhee heard her name and suddenly stopped. She saw the two figures headed her way and started running towards them. Eunjung moved her right hand down towards her thigh to reach for the gun she had in the holster located there, it was currently hidden by the spell cast to change her clothing, but stopped when she felt the hostility in the woman’s aura disappeared. Her aura was still strong but it seemed to be calm now.

“Kyurhee what are you doing here?” Jaehee asked her sister as they finally reach each other. Kyurhee suddenly felt all her desperation return to her and hugged Jaehee tightly. Jaehee was taken aback by the sudden hug but returned it.

Jieun ran up to Jiyeon and hugged her friend as well. She then turned to look at the two sisters who were still embraced. Eunjung narrowed her eyes at both Shadows and kept a stern look on them. Gyuri leaned in closer to Jiyeon, “What’s going on?”

“I don’t know, but I almost died.” Jieun replied.

“What?” Gyuri and Jiyeon asked at the same time.

Jaehee on the other hand was surprised her sister was still hugging her. It was very rare for the two of them to be this intimate but the younger woman sensed that not all was right with her sister. “Kyurhee, did something happen?”

Kyurhee finally pulled away and nodded her head. “Yes…he’s returned to Seoul.”

“Who?” Jaehee asked.

“Park Jinyoung…” Kyurhee whispered. Jaehee gasped and now understood why her sister seemed upset. The nobleman was one of representatives from the Yeongnam region and he was very well respected among the entire noblemen in the King’s court. He was a valiant man who represented himself with great integrity. In fact, her father considered him one of the most loyal in the court, but Jaehee distrusted him once she found out what he had done to her sister. Kyurhee had not talked about it to anyone except her and Jaehee had kept quiet to respect her older sister’s wishes.

“Guys, I need to go for now. I’ll see you all later.” Jaehee told her four friends. They nodded at her and then she motioned for Kyurhee to follow her.

When they were out of earshot, Jiyeon turned back to Jieun. “What happened, Jieun? What do you mean you almost died?”

“Jaehee’s sister pulled a knife on me.” Jieun replied.

“What?”

“Is she crazy?”

“I’m not surprised.”

Jieun simply nodded at all their remarks. “I was so scared; she seemed really mad when I told her she could go find Jaehee by herself.”

“She did seem kind of upset though after she hugged Jaehee. That might have been why she did it.” Gyuri said.

“But she didn’t actually hurt you so that’s good. Calm down Jieun-ah. Everything will be fine.” Jiyeon told her friend and gently rubbed the girl’s back. Jiyeon’s hand began to glow with light as she rubbed Jieun’s back but she didn’t notice it. Eunjung on the other hand did, but didn’t say anything.

Jieun felt a rush of serenity wash over her as Jiyeon rubbed her back and slightly smiled. “Yes, you’re right Jiyeon. I should have waited for you guys out here. I’m sorry for disappearing.”

“It’s fine Jieun but don’t ever make me worry about you again.” Jiyeon scolded and Jieun giggled.

“I won’t, I promise.” Jieun replied.





Jaehee and Kyurhee were currently sitting inside the rogue’s car. Kyurhee was silently crying and wiping the tears off her face while Jaehee rubbed her back. It was very rare to see her sister in such a vulnerable stage because the rogue was one of the most confident and well guarded people she knew. Kyurhee took a deep breath and then released it. She felt better now.

“The bastard randomly showed up claiming he was at the funeral to pay his condolences. I over heard him say that while he was talking to mom.” Kyurhee told her sister as she wiped the last few tears from her eyes.

“Mom talked to him? Did you hear anything else?” Jaehee asked her and Kyurhee nodded.

“He said he wanted to offer his help with the investigation of where the men came from and who sent then. Mom told him that you were already doing that and that she would mention him to you. I should have told her about him a long time ago so that she wouldn’t be so trusting of him. Everyone needs to know what a scumbag he is.” Kyurhee angrily said and slammed her fist on the dashboard.

“I agree and I also think it’s time you tell her. We can’t have mom thinking that we can trust him.” Her sister told her and Kyurhee nodded.

“I know…I know…but what are you going to do if he decides to talk to you? I mean, he’s obviously trying to make himself look good right now. What better way to show your loyalty than to be the one responsible for finding a clue about the King’s whereabouts?” Kyurhee looked at her younger sister expectantly.

“I will turn him down and dismiss him. It’s our duty to find our father. We now have a much clearer path to take than before. We know something’s gone wrong with his expedition.” Jaehee assured her sister.

Kyurhee leaned over and gave her sister another hug. “I feel better now. Thank you.”

“You know I’m always here for you. Also, I’m starving. Please tell me you’re hungry too.” Jaehee rubbed her stomach and Kyurhee chuckled.

“Actually I am too. Does this place have a cafeteria or something?” Kyurhee asked and Jaehee nodded.

“Yeah, it does. But first let’s go park your car in the parking lot before it gets towed. Give me your keys.” Kyurhee handed her keys to her sister who started the car after and moved it towards the parking lot.





After Jiyeon had calmed Jieun with her powers, Gyuri had told them that she wished to talk to both of them. Jieun became a little reluctant at first but Jiyeon convinced her that perhaps they should listen to what the older girl had to say. The four girls then headed inside the school to go to the cafeteria and get something to eat since Jiyeon, Eunjung, and Gyuri had not eaten anything.

After grabbing lunch, Jieun had led them back to the tree where she was hanging out before Kyurhee had assaulted her and made her take her to Jaehee. They, with the exception of Jieun, all ate in silence for a few minutes. Gyuri was trying to find the best way to start but she seemed to have difficulty doing it.

“You said you wanted to talk to us but you have yet to say a word.” Jieun said and reached for one of the kimbap that were on a tray on the ground in the middle of all of them.

“Sorry, it’s just I didn’t know how to start, but sorry is the right word. I want to apologize to both you and Jiyeon. I’m sorry for picking on the both of you back in high school. I know you guys must have been relieved once I graduated.” Gyuri took another bite of her food.

“I have to admit that we were. Senior year was probably the least stressful year in that aspect.” Jiyeon said.

“You played a lot of bad pranks on us and said a lot of horrible things and all of it to make you feel better about yourself. You can’t expect me to forgive you that easily.” Jieun told her and crossed her arms.

Gyuri nodded, “I guess I deserve that. I just want you to know that none of what I did actually made me feel better. In fact, it made me feel worse. The jocks, cheerleaders, and everyone else who was considered the high society of high school really put the pressure for me and others to do what we did. You both know that they were just as terrible as me, perhaps a little worse. I know that it’s not an excuse for my behavior but I am truly sorry for it.”

She sighed and continued, “I also want to admit to the fact that I was actually jealous of both of you.”

“Really?”

“Why?”

Gyuri looked at both girls and then looked down at the ground. “I was actually envious of your friendship with each other. No matter what I said to you two or what bad prank I played on you both, you two were always there for each other to pick each other up. It might have seemed that those in the ‘high society’ were my friends but they were actually just a bunch of backstabbers. I actually wished to have the friendship that you guys have with each other.”

“I accept your apology Gyuri.” Jiyeon sincerely said. “I believe everyone deserves a second chance and I can tell that you’re being sincere.”

“Really?” Gyuri’s face lit up. “Thank you Jiyeon.” She bowed her head at the younger girl.

Jieun bit her bottom lip and contemplated the situation. She would like to forgive Gyuri but she just could not. Not now at least. “You’re going to have to win me over. Really prove to me that you’re willing to change.”

Gyuri looked at Jieun and nodded. “I understand. I also promise not to pick on your anymore. I can’t let the same thing that happened in high school happen here anymore.”

They continued to eat in silence after that. Eunjung who had remained quiet all this time was glad to see the three girls work out that issue that had been plaguing them all this time. She was also glad Gyuri had not given her flirty looks this whole time. When she took the last bite out of her plate, she placed it down on the ground and leaned back to rest on the tree trunk. She closed her eyes for a few seconds and when she opened them she saw Jaehee and the Shadow from earlier approaching them.

“Hey girls! I’m back.” Jaehee yelled out to them and took a seat next to Gyuri when she got to where they were.

Kyurhee took a seat next to Jieun and placed a juice box in front of Jieun. “I’m sorry for threatening you earlier kid. I was distressed.”

Jieun looked up at Kyurhee and then looked at the juice box and picked it up. “You didn’t poison this did you?”

Kyurhee gave her an ‘are you freaking kidding me look.’ “I just apologized to you. Why would I want to kill you?”

Jieun grinned widely and elbowed Kyurhee’s side. “I’m kidding! I love juice boxes.”

Kyurhee then turned to give that same look to Jaehee who shook her head and chuckled. “Everyone, I’m sorry for what happened earlier but my sister was indeed distressed. Everything is fine now though so I’ll introduce her.”

“Kyurhee here is my older sister. Kyurhee, that’s Jieun, this is Gyuri, and Jiyeon, and by the tree is Eunjung.” Jaehee introduced her sister who waved at everyone and everyone else gave her a slight head bow.

“It’s nice to meet you Kyurhee.” Jiyeon said and Jieun and Gyuri nodded. Eunjung looked at her but didn’t say anything.

Everyone eventually finished their lunch and got ready to head back to school. Kyurhee said her goodbyes and left. Eunjung and Jiyeon then left together, Gyuri took off on her own to her next class, and that left Jieun and Jaehee. The shorter girl started walking in the direction to her class and even though she didn’t have her next class with Jieun, Jaehee decided to follow after her.

“Hey Jieun-ah, are you still mad at me?” Jaehee asked her when she caught up to the younger girl.

“No. No. I need to apologize to you about that. I was the one out of line. You’re free to like whoever you want, even if it’s Gyuri. I’m your friend; therefore, I should support you.” Jieun humbly replied.

“I’ll accept your apology even though I think you shouldn’t have to apologize. I understand that you were just looking out for me. I’m just glad you’re not mad at me anymore. We’ve just met each other to be fighting so quickly.” Jaehee told the younger girl.

“You’re right about that. Here’s to no more fighting between us!” Jieun fist pumped and Jaehee giggled.

“Aye, aye captain!” Jaehee saluted her.





By the end of the day, Jieun had met up with Jiyeon and Eunjung to ask them if they were coming over to her house to study but Jiyeon turned her down. She mentioned that her mother wanted her home earlier today for dinner. Jieun didn’t ask anymore about it and just said goodbye to the both of them and made her way home. Jiyeon was glad because she didn’t want to go into an explanation about how Eunjung would be meeting her parents today.

Half an hour later Eunjung was pulling up to the front of Jiyeon’s apartment building. Jiyeon told Eunjung to go ahead and park in the visitor’s area in the parking garage just to be sure that her motorcycle wouldn’t get towed. Once Eunjung parked, both dismounted the bike and headed to the nearest entrance to the apartment building.

“Are you nervous Eunjung?” Jiyeon asked.

“No.” Eunjung replied and opened one of the doors that led to the apartment building. She held it open for Jiyeon to walk in first.

Jiyeon chuckled nervously, “Okay good because I’m really freaking out right now. I’ve brought friends home before but with you it feels different. Like if I was bring my lover over.” She blushed madly at her last statement.

Eunjung stared at her for a few seconds and then responded, “But you’re not. We’ll be okay.”

Jiyeon sighed and nodded. “You’re right. Let’s go.”





Jiyeon’s mom had finished cooking dinner and was currently setting the table down. Her husband had been surprised to see that his wife had cooked quite a feast for the night and when he asked her what the special occasion was, she told him that Jiyeon was bringing a friend over. He eyed her suspiciously because she didn’t go all this out of the way when Jiyeon brought a friend over. The times Jieun came over to hang out with Jiyeon she would make sandwiches for the two girls to eat, so what she had done this time was odd.

Perhaps his daughter had a significant other now? He wasn’t sure and he certainly did not want to worry about it now. There was a soccer game on TV that he wanted to watch and at the moment he found himself sitting on the couch, drinking a beer and enjoying the game. He took his eyes off the game for a moment to see his wife pacing back and forth around the table and shook his head.

“Calm down already. You’re acting like Jiyeon is coming home to tell us she’s decided to elope.” He let out a hearty chuckle and then turned his eyes back to the game.

“You don’t understand! This friend of hers looks very suspicious. You’ll see what I mean when you see her.” She told him and jumped when she heard the door unlock. She ran over to the front door where Jiyeon was pulling her key out of the lock and walking in with her friend behind her.

“Welcome home honey!” She greeted her daughter and then turned to look at Eunjung who was closing the door behind her and locking it.

“Hey mom. Hi daddy.” Jiyeon smiled and greeted her parents.

“Hey sweetie! Come sit with me; FC Seoul is playing right now.” Her father told her and patted the seat in the couch next to him. Jiyeon grabbed Eunjung’s hand and led the older girl to the couch.

Before she took a seat she looked at her mom and her dad, “Mom, dad, I want you guys to meet my friend Eunjung.”

Eunjung bowed to both of them. “It’s nice to meet both of you.”

“Nice to meet you too Eunjung. Do you like soccer?” Jiyeon’s dad asked her as she and Jiyeon took a seat in the couch.

“Yes, but I don’t get to watch many games.” She replied.

He grinned widely, “That’s good! In this house we support FC Seoul all way.”

“Well, they are the best team in the league.” Eunjung replied and Jiyeon looked at her wide eyed. Eunjung never mentioned being a fan of sports or even knowing anything like that. She had much learning to do about the girl still.

“You got that right.” Jiyeon’s father answered excitedly and then elbowed Jiyeon. “I like your friend already.”

Jiyeon smiled and looked over at Eunjung who was leaning back on the couch, her eyes locked onto the TV. Jiyeon’s mother had taken a seat on the love seat and was looking over at Eunjung. She was looking at what the girl was wearing; a black leather jacket with a black tank top underneath, black skinny jeans, and black leather boots. To her Eunjung screamed “bad girl’ and seemed like the type who would eventually get her daughter in trouble.

The blank expression on Eunjung’s face is what was throwing her off though. Jiyeon and her dad were busy yelling at the TV screen over a foul but Eunjung remained motionless and expressionless. There was a glimmer in her eyes but other than that she didn’t really move.

“Eunjung-ah…?” Jiyeon’s mother started and Eunjung turned to face her.

“Yes ma’am?”

Jiyeon’s mom was surprised by Eunjung’s formality. “You’re not hot with that heavy jacket on? You can take it off if you want. Also, would you like something to drink?”

“Actually I am and I wouldn’t mind some water.” Eunjung replied and the older woman nodded. She took Eunjung’s jacket when the girl handed it to her and then she walked away to place it in the jacket holder by the front door. She then walked into the kitchen and got Eunjung the water she had requested.

When she returned with the water for Eunjung, Jiyeon and her dad were jumping off the couch with excitement over a goal that had been scored. Eunjung once again remained motionless and this worried the older woman a bit. Why is this girl so still? She should be cheering along with Jiyeon and my husband.

She handed the glass of water to Eunjung who took it and thanked her. She took a seat on the love seat once more and waited on the last ten minutes of the game. Once it finished, she told all three of them to go sit down for dinner. After everyone sat down, she began placing the food on the table and everyone began serving themselves.

Dinner started off with a conversation about the game much to Jiyeon’s mom’s dismay. She wanted to speak to Eunjung not hear about the game. Once the talk about the game died down, she got her chance and looked over at Eunjung who was sitting next to Jiyeon and across from her.

“So Eunjung, how old are you?” She asked.

“Twenty four.”

“And you just started school? Why did you wait so long?”

“I didn’t have money to pay for it. So I took some time off to work and save enough to go back.”

“Your parents couldn’t help you out with it?”

“My parents died right after I turned eighteen. They didn’t have life insurance and what little they left me only helped me get by for a little while.”

Jiyeon was surprised as to how well Eunjung was handling this. She had a feeling that what Eunjung was saying wasn’t true but for her parents not to suspect anything it was necessary for her to make up a story. So far it was sounding pretty legit.

“Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that! How did your parents pass away if you don’t me asking?” Jiyeon’s mom sounded concerned and Jiyeon knew that Eunjung had hooked her into this story.

“Car accident. They died instantly.” Eunjung answered.

Jiyeon’s mom placed her hands on her chest and looked over at her husband. “I’m sure that had to have been a very hard time in your life.”

“Yes, but they raised me to be strong and fight through adversity. I missed them a lot after they were gone, but I knew that I had to continue on with my life.”

“Well, it sounds to me like you’ve managed to do well for yourself.” Jiyeon’s dad said finally joining in the conversation.

“Thank you. I tried my best. I ended up getting a job at a motorcycle repair shop. My boss was really nice and supportive. I learned a lot there and it gave me a chance to work on my motorcycle. It was the last gift I received from my parents before they passed away.” Yep, Eunjung had them hooked now.

“Oh so you’re a mechanic? I think I’m going to have you take a look at my car when you get a chance.” Jiyeon’s dad mentioned.

“For motorcycles, but I don’t think cars are that much different. I wouldn’t mind helping you out.” Eunjung replied. Jiyeon smiled as she continued to eat her food. Eunjung you’re too good at this. Please keep going.

“Great! I’ll tell Jiyeon to ask you whenever I need it. My car is doing fine at the moment.” The man let out a hearty chuckle and Eunjung nodded at him. Jiyeon moved her right hand to squeeze Eunjung’s left hand. The older girl turned to look at her and Jiyeon smiled at her.

Jiyeon’s mother noticed the interaction and was surprised by the slight blush in her daughter’s cheeks. She didn’t want to admit to herself because she would have never imagined her daughter being that way, but it was obvious to her that Jiyeon had at least a crush on the older girl. She knew her daughter well enough to realize this. She had been through the same thing when she was younger with her husband when she first met him.

She also knew that Jiyeon never looked at any of her other friends that way. Taking in a deep breath and then letting out, she looked over at Eunjung. “Eunjung, do you have a boyfriend?”

The question shocked Jiyeon and Eunjung blankly looked at the older woman. “No.”

“Oh…okay…well how about a...um...girlfriend?” She said the last word slowly because it was such a taboo topic at least in Korea.

“A what?!” Jiyeon shouted and her father looked back and forth between all the women.

He knew that talking about that sort of thing could be very touchy but he honestly did not mind it as much as most people he knew. One of his best friends and co-workers at the office had recently come out to him and he accepted his friend with an open heart and open mind. His friend was a good man, and his uality was not of importance. And to be honest, he didn’t mind if his daughter was interested in another girl. He actually preferred it that way no man would put his hands on his daughter.

He knew his wife well enough to know what she was implying. He was hoping for a good answer from Eunjung. He already had a good feeling about her, and if this was the person his daughter wanted to date; then he was all for it.

“I do not.” Eunjung replied.

Jiyeon felt like she could honestly just die right now. Was she too obvious with the way she looked at Eunjung? And what did her parents know about this kind of stuff? She had never mentioned her uality, and in fact, she never even paid attention to it or to people to know who she was attracted to. Eunjung was her first crush ever, and she just happened to be a girl.

“I see. I apologize for getting a little too personal there. Perhaps, I have offended you?” Jiyeon’s mother looked at Eunjung with concern written all over her face.

“Not at all ma’am. And also thank you for dinner. It was delicious.” Eunjung said and placed her chopsticks down next to the plate.

“Oh good! And thank you.” The older woman clapped her hands excitedly and got up to collect everyone’s plates and place them in the sink.

Jiyeon’s father leaned back on his chair and placed his hands around his stomach. “I got to agree honey~ Dinner was wonderful tonight.”

He then looked over at Eunjung and his daughter. “There’s another game going on, let’s go watch it. Would you like a beer Eunjung?”

“Sure.” Eunjung replied.

“Hey what about me?” Jiyeon asked her dad playfully. He grinned at her as he grabbed two bottles from the fridge.

“Not old enough yet Jiyeonie! I won’t allow underage drinking in my house.” He told her and motioned for both of them to follow him. Jiyeon pouted.





Outside the city of Seoul, away from the prying eyes of the Guardians scattered around the city, Nobleman Park Jinyoung waited for one of his lieutenant’s to arrive with his men. He smiled when he saw the men fall out of the surrounding trees in this patch of forest.

The six men kneeled before him and their leader spoke, “I’ve gather my men for the mission you requested of me.”

“Excellent. I think it’s time we give those Guardians a taste of what we’re capable of. Attack the first party you find. I want them all dead. Tonight we’re letting them know that even they cannot stop us.” He grinned evilly at the men before him.

Lieutenant Rain grinned back and bowed his head. “Yes sir.”