Chapter Thirty Seven

Masquerade

A/N:  I will edit this later when it's not super late.  Finally, this scene that has been in my mind forever has come to fruition.  Enjoy guys :D

 


 

 The air crackled with tiny specks lightning creating a small blue dot that suddenly expanded into a massive swirling blue portal. Two figures suddenly materialized from the portal and stepped onto the concrete floor beneath it. The portal quickly shrunk in size and disappeared in less than a second. Jiyeon's eyes scanned her surroundings noticing that she was no longer in the Guardians' compound, but on the roof of her apartment building.

 

She had never gone up to the roof, but the surrounding buildings were very familiar so she knew exactly where she was. Qri, who was standing behind the younger girl, kept her eyes trained on Jiyeon waiting for the moment the Chosen One would snap at her. A few seconds ago the mage had pulled the younger girl into one of her portals and brought her home.

 

“Qri!” Jiyeon whipped around to face the mage, anger apparent in her eyes. “Why did you bring me home?! Eunjung is going to go do something reckless!”

 

Qri puffed a breath out and flipped the hair that was resting on her right shoulder behind her. She turned around to face away from Jiyeon and took a few steps forward crossing her arms in the process. The mage wasn't sure what Eunjung was thinking or where she was going, but she had known their leader long enough to know that Eunjung wouldn't do anything stupid or crazy. Well, at least Qri hoped this wasn't the exception.

 

“Jiyeon...” Qri pursed her lips. She needed to be sure how to explain herself and calm Jiyeon down.

 

“I'm going to go find her Qri. You can't stop me!” Jiyeon shouted at the mage and started walking towards the door that lead down to the top floor of the building.

 

Qri chased after Jiyeon and grabbed the younger girl's arm and spun her around. “Let her solve this on her own! Stop being so clingy! She almost died, Jiyeon. I was there, watching as Soyeon struggled to save her, and by some miracle of the Light, she survived. This God that we supposedly follow sent those guys to kill her! You're the Chosen One, I know, but your duty is not to protect the one that is supposed to protect you.”

 

Jiyeon's lips began to quiver at the mage's words. “Why?! Why can't I protect her? I'm supposed to protect everyone right...?”

 

Qri swallowed the knot in and held back the tears that were starting to build in her eyes. The look in Jiyeon's eyes, her quivering lips and tense body, Qri could sympathize with her. The mage pulled Jiyeon towards her and held the younger girl in a tight hug.

 

“You just have to believe in her Jiyeon. Eunjung is strong, she's fearless even in the most dire situations. If she has gone to face God for what he has done, then I know she will come out on top. She always has.” Qri's own tears rolled down her face as she held onto Jiyeon, who trembled as she cried in the mage's arms.

 

There were so many things Jiyeon still didn't know about “God” and she spent some time on the roof of her apartment building asking Qri about him. The mage knew somethings due to Eunjung's interaction with him over all these years, but even to her, some things were still a mystery.

 

 

 

 

 

“Paladins? Those guys sound like holy death knights or something.” Kyurhee chuckled. She noticed the stern faces of Eunjung and Jaehee and waved a hand in the air letting them know to just ignore her comment.

 

“Your description sounds accurate.” Eunjung replied, her sight connecting with Kyurhee's.

 

“I've never heard of such...warriors...Guardians?” Jaehee commented while skimming through the pages in the original Book of Knowledge.

 

“I don't think they're Guardians, but if they ever were, they must have ascended into some holy spiritual level.” Eunjung turned to face Jaehee again and leaned back on the bench she was sitting on.

 

“I don't see anything about them in this book. I mean there is a lot of in here but...”

 

“How are you even able to read that? It doesn't even look like Hanja or...well anything I've ever seen before?” Kyurhee inched closer to Jaehee, her eyes skimming through the writing on the book.

 

The two sisters were sitting on the bench in front of Eunjung; their fronts facing the back of the bench they were sitting on, while Eunjung leaned on the back of the bench she was sitting on. It was awkward for the sisters to be sitting like this, it wasn't very comfortable, but they wanted to face Eunjung while talking to her.

 

“Honestly? I have no idea myself, but somehow the words are clear as day. Dad was surprised I could read it too.” Jaehee responded while running a hand through her very messy hair.

 

Eunjung leaned forward, placing her arms over the back of the bench in front of her, and took a look at the book Jaehee was skimming through. Her eyes caught several words as the Shadow continued to flip pages at a fast pace. The Guardian tilted her head in curiosity which didn't go unnoticed by Kyurhee.

 

“See something interesting Eunjung?” Kyurhee asked.

 

Eunjung looked up from the book at Kyurhee. “I can read it as well.”

 

Jaehee stopped flipping pages and looked up at Eunjung, eyebrows raised. “What?”

 

“I don't know how, but I have a feeling I might have seen this kind of writing before. Maybe a really long time ago.” Eunjung pulled away from from the bench in front of her and leaned back on her seat.

 

This was an interesting set of events between both Jaehee and Eunjung. They could read the ancient writing on the book, something that apparently Kwangsoo was able to do so as well. But then again Kim Kwangsoo had spent many human life times— hundreds of years— studying the history of the Shadows. He could have learned many languages in his lifetime.

 

There was a moment of silence between all three women. Jaehee stopped flipping through the book and closed it. There was no information on the paladins, only what they had told Eunjung in their battle, so this was new and surprising information. Clearly God had something up his sleeve and disposing of his most powerful Guardian meant that he did not truly care about them. At least, this was the conclusion Jaehee and Kyurhee could agree upon.

 

Eunjung had already explained her reasoning as to why God had finally sent these warriors to kill her. The moment she fell for Jiyeon and began their forbidden relationship, Eunjung had doomed herself. She did not adhere to the warnings God had given her when she started falling for Jiyeon, and now she was paying the consequences. The Guardian knew that even if she did not go to talk to God, he would most likely send his paladins back out again to attack her.

 

“Okay,” Jaehee broke the silence and focused her sights on Eunjung. “Your God wants to get rid of you for falling in love with Jiyeon. He sent his strongest— yet unknown— warriors to kill you; but since they failed, he expects you to go talk to him or he will mostly likely send them back to attack you again.”

 

Jaehee eyed both women, but when neither made a move to say something, she continued. “Freeing yourself from his hold is what can save you or so you think. I say that because we don't even know what would happen if you did manage to get free of his hold.”

 

“I wouldn't have the Light to protect me, but at least I wouldn't be bound by these.” Eunjung pointed at the straps and locks on her body.

 

“He has a sadistic way of binding you; you gotta admit that.” Kyurhee commented gaining the attention of both women.

 

“What can you tell me about the times you've gone to see him? The location, the surroundings, anything?” Jaehee asked turning to Eunjung once more.

 

“It's a cave, hidden inside one of the tallest mountains in the country. You would never know it was there if you walked by it. The inside of the cave is small, there is a short corridor to the bigger space where I talk to him. In that space, there is an altar— a very bright light well with two tall candle holders on each side of it— and in front of the altar there is a stone podium. The podium has a sword jammed into the left side of it and a hole for a second sword on the right.” Eunjung's hands moved around as she explained about everything inside the cave.

 

Jaehee and Kyurhee's interests were peaked. Eunjung continued, “The well shines even brighter when he talks...”

 

Eunjung paused for a moment. She seemed lost in thought and the sisters took notice of this. Jaehee stood up and walked around the bench to sit next to Eunjung. She placed her right hand above Eunjung's left, which was resting on the Guardian's thigh. Jaehee was surprised her skin did not burn touching the exposed hand but said nothing about it.

 

“Something has you lost in thought.” Jaehee mentioned and waited for Eunjung.

 

“Yeah...” Eunjung started and tilted her head. “I think the last time I went he mentioned something about the sword in the podium. Something about me wanting to take it. I'm not sure. My memory tends to be very blurry at times.”

 

Jaehee removed her hand from Eunjung's and placed it back on the book she was holding. “What can you tell me about the sword in the podium?”

 

“It's impossible to tell what it looks like aside from the hilt and part of the guard.” Eunjung responded. She proceeded to explain what the hilt looked like and it's color.

 

“It is black, even in the brightness of the light well, but that color seems almost unnatural. The hilt has a larger than usual grip, with a round pommel at the end and the guard seems to be shaped very differently than what most swords have. Almost like a letter or something.” Eunjung drew the shape of the hilt in the air with her fingers as she explained.

 

“That sword sounds familiar.” The deep voice of a man caused all three women to turn around and face the person who had just joined their conversation.

 

Daesung smiled at his daughters and their guest. TaeIn who was standing next to her husband grinned at the sight of Eunjung. She quickly walked over to the bench behind Eunjung and took a seat. The high priestess studied Eunjung for a moment then turned to her daughters.

 

“A Guardian within our mists? How exciting! But just how are you able to handle all the dark energy in this temple?” TaeIn smiled at Eunjung.

 

Kyurhee rolled her eyes at her mom; Eunjung and Jaehee, however, kept blank looks on their faces. TaeIn turned to her husband and motioned for him to sit next to her. Daesung did as she asked and kept his eyes on Eunjung. He was hoping the Guardian would answer his wife's question.

 

“I don't know to be honest. I seem to have no problem being inside this temple.” Eunjung replied finally sedating their curiosity.

 

“I'm glad to see you two out of the dark room.” Kyurhee told her parents and both of them smiled at their oldest daughter. Jaehee nodded in agreement with her sister.

 

“Well, we got hungry.” Daesung chuckled. “But that sword you mentioned, it reminds of one that Kwangsoo was looking at in the Book of Knowledge. I was hardly awake when he was talking, but he said he wanted our life essence to create the most powerful weapon ever created.”

 

“You caught a look of it dad?” Kyurhee asked and Daesung nodded.

 

“He said its name too...” Daesung scratched his head struggling to remember. It took him a few moments but finally he snapped his fingers and shouted. “Ashbringer!”

 

“Ashbringer?” All four women said simultaneously.

 

“Yes! Look in the book. There is a drawing of it in there; I'm positive.” Daesung pointed at the book.

 

Jaehee opened it once again and started skimming through pages left and right until she stopped on a page that had the word 'WEAPONS' written in big bold letters. She turned the pages and saw several different swords and daggers until she stopped at a page that had a drawing of Frostmourne. The page after that one had a drawing of her own weapon, Shadowmourne. Everyone, except Eunjung, gasped at the sight of Jaehee's weapon.

 

They knew the ax was old, but according to the information in the book, the ax was ancient. Deciding to read more about it later, Jaehee turned the the next page which revealed a sword with a hilt similar to the one Eunjung had described. Daesung's face lit up when he saw the drawing.

 

“That's it! That's the picture I saw.” He pointed at it and everyone looked at the drawing.

 

“Yes, that does look like the sword in the podium.” Eunjung nodded.

 

Jaehee's eyes scanned the drawing of the sword and then she started to read the information listed about the weapon. She skimmed through the wording, picking up the most important points about the weapon. Once done, Jaehee closed the book and looked up at everyone.

 

“The Ashbringer was made using the life essence of very powerful Shadows. It was a weapon created to kill the humans and turn their bodies into ash if dealt with a killing blow from it. That is why Kwangsoo wanted to recreate it. And if I remember correctly, the newer version of the Book of Knowledge states that the Ashbringer was lost before the War of the Ancients.”

 

“So you're saying that the sword on the podium...” TaeIn began but Jaehee cut her off.

 

“The human God was able to get a hold of it before that war somehow. I have no doubt in my mind that the sword Eunjung described is the one in this book. That sword is the Ashbringer and perhaps, if you're able to pull it out Eunjung, you might be able to free yourself.”

 

This realization caused everyone to look at each other. It wouldn't hurt to find out the truth if Eunjung was willing to do it. While their sights remained on each other, a slight dark glow surrounded the Book of Knowledge and another fact about the Ashbringer ran through Jaehee's mind. King Daewon gifted his right hand man, Ham Donghyuk, with the Ashbringer after he had the sword specifically made for the General of the Royal Army.

 

 

 

 

 

Qri brought both of her hands up to cover while she yawned. She had spent several hours talking to Jiyeon about God, the Guardians, herself, and so many other things the girl was curious about. They had even gone down to Jiyeon's apartment— Jiyeon insisted Qri go inside and greet the younger girl's mother who had grown fond of the mage— and the two had ended up watching a movie out of all the things to do.

 

It was late now, a few minutes past midnight, and Qri was ready to go to sleep. The warehouses were quiet with everyone in their rooms sleeping already. The mage started walking towards the main warehouse when she felt a big furry animal rub up on her legs. Qri smiled down at Sasha and started petting the wolf— she had grown fond of her girlfriend's pet now.

 

“I was wondering if you were ever going to come back home. I was going to hunt you down if you abandoned me.” Boram grinned at the mage who turned to look back at the hunter.

 

Qri smiled and giggled at Boram's comment. “Abandon you? Never.”

 

The mage wrapped her arms around the hunter's neck and pulled the shorter woman closer to her. Boram wrapped her arms tightly around Qri's waist and hugged the mage tightly. They shared a kiss before pulling away from each other and started walking towards the main warehouse.

 

“I had a long chat with Jiyeon and we ended up watching a movie. She said she was going to sleep before I left but I have a feeling that girl will not sleep tonight.” Qri explained.

 

Boram stopped walking and removed her right arm from around Qri's waist and brought to hold her girlfriend's hand. “No one had heard anything back from Eunjung. We're worried about her too but we hope that whatever she's up to, that she succeeds. Unlike Jiyeon though, I am tired and I would like to sleep.”

 

Qri smiled, “Let's go hit the sack.”

 

 

 

 

 

As predicted by Qri, Jiyeon was wide awake looking out the window in her room. Her eyes were set on the spot Eunjung would wait for Jiyeon on her motorcycle every day before leaving for school. If only Eunjung could arrive to that spot at any moment, Jiyeon could finally go to sleep knowing her girlfriend was okay.

 

Jiyeon twirled her fingers on her right hand around the window creating an illusion of light. It was shaped in the form of Eunjung sitting on her motorcycle. The brunette continued to twirl her fingers changing the illusion into different images of the Guardian until the last shape was that of Eunjung's face.

 

Jiyeon waved her hands on the illusion and it dissipated. She moved away from the window and walked towards her bed to lie on it. Return safely to me Eunjung because if you don't, I will personally raise hell to this supposed God.

 

 

 

 

 

Jaehee pulled the reins on her undead horse causing the animal to come to a complete stop. She and Eunjung had just arrived to the site of the cave Eunjung would go to talk to God. Jaehee pulled the hood of the cape she was wearing away from her head and looked at their surroundings while Eunjung dismounted and reached for her sword.

 

“This certainly does look like what you explained. I have no idea where the cave entrance is.” Jaehee commented while looking around at the rocky surface.

 

“You can't even feel the Light out here; that's how well guarded he has the cave.” Eunjung explained and took a few steps towards the entrance that only she knew.

 

“Are you sure you don't need my help. I'm willing to go inside with you.”

 

“No. The holy energy in there is way too powerful even for you. I will make it, but if I don't...then feel free to go in there and do what you like.”

 

Jaehee laughed. “I would enjoy that.”

 

Eunjung offered the Shadow a nod and walked over to the entrance of the cave. The massive rock that was the door slid over the side allowing Eunjung access to the cave. Jaehee raised an eyebrow— she was impressed by what she was seeing.

 

“Good luck Eunjung.”

 

“Thank you.” Eunjung stepped inside the entrance to the cave and the rock slid back in place. It was as if it never had opened.

 

Jaehee looked around at her surroundings once again and smirked. I hope their God isn't hiding any surprises out here, even though that would be exciting.

 

 

 

 

 

The moment Eunjung walked inside and the massive rock closed the cave shut, she felt the restraints on her body began to tighten. The holy energy inside the cave was stronger than Eunjung had ever felt it, and when she walked into the area with the altar and podium, she had to cover her eyes from the bright light. The straps hugging her body began to move again, getting even tighter, and the ones around her neck felt the tightest.

 

Eunjung struggled against the restraints and used her sword to steady herself in order to kneel down. “As you can see...I'm alive...and well.”

 

A thunderous chuckle roared through the cave. “Indeed you are scum! I've been watching you, I've seen everything you've done, the moments you have spent with MY CHOSEN ONE. Also, let's not forget the meeting with the Shadow who brought you here or should I say you brought here.”

 

“I don't care!” Eunjung doubled over after yelling that out. The restraints were squeezing her tight barely allowing her to move and speak.

 

“I know you're here to free yourself! But I'll let you know that the only way you will be free is by dying. Where my paladins failed, I will not! You cannot free yourself Eunjung. You gave up EVERYTHING for this. Only death gives you freedom and to be honest, I waited too long to finally kill you.”

 

What skin was exposed from her restraints was starting to turn purple from the blood circulation being cut off. Eunjung was certain that she couldn't move and any air she was able to breathe in was starting to become insignificant. Perhaps she could not free herself and God was right, only death would free her. She looked defeated kneeling before the altar.

 

God was enjoying this sight. The straps continued moving slowly and eventually they would snap all of the bones in her body. It would be a slow and agonizing death and that was what Eunjung truly deserved.

 

The image of Jiyeon began to cross in her mind. She loved the girl so much and for her, to be with her without any restraints, was the reason why Eunjung was doing this. Eunjung had to fight for Jiyeon, for her Guardians and friends, for herself. Give me strength...

 

The altar was glowing brighter than it ever had now. It was as if God was grinning with delight at the sight of a dying Eunjung. The straps never stopped moving and he knew this was it, but then something astonishing happened. Eunjung began to glow with Light bright enough to challenge the Light of the well. The well began to shake at the sight of Eunjung standing up slowly and moving against the restraints.

 

The Guardian reached for the sword on her back as she stepped closer to the podium. She held the sword above her facing down over the right side of the podium. Eunjung eyed the rectangular hole in the podium and then she faced the light well that had dimmed— most likely due to the shock of what she was able to do.

 

“NOOOOOOOO!”

 

“AAAAHHHHHHH!” Eunjung managed to scream and slammed the sword into the podium. The moment the sword was secured into its holding place, every single lock on the straps around Eunjung's body snapped open and the straps stopped squeezing her body. The shifted back into their normal positions and Eunjung felt relief wash over her body. Air filled her lungs and she coughed trying to catch her breath.

 

“IMPOSSIBLE! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?! THE LIGHT FAVORS YOU DESPITE HOW MUCH I TRY TO KEEP IT FROM YOU.” God was outraged but he would not allow Eunjung to finish freeing herself.

 

The light in the well started shining brightly again and it began moving oddly enough. As though someone or something wanted to come out of it. Eunjung noticed the movement but paid it no mind as she turned to look at the sword on the left side of the podium. Being able to move more freely now, Eunjung reached for it and gripped it tightly.

 

“DON'T DO IT!”

 

But Eunjung did not listen to God's warning. She clenched her jaw tightly and used all her strength to pull the sword out of the podium. It was massive and heavy but it felt to right to hold in her hands. The moment she pulled it out, the straps on her body disappeared, leaving her completely . Eunjung's eyes changed from brown to a navy blue in an instant and they started to glow. Her ears became pointed, her teeth sharper, and from her head bold and powerful ram like horn erupted.

 

She felt a repressed energy within start to grow until it exploded out of her body and covered the entire cave in darkness. The candles burned out and the light well that God spoke through fought to remain bright but it was having a hard time. Eunjung grinned and raised the sword in her hands to strike the well.

 

The sword moved swiftly through the air and it sliced down but before Eunjung could strike the well it disappeared. She swung the sword again, this time destroying the left side of the podium. The darkness within her that covered the cave pulled away from the surroundings and entered Eunjung's body once again. The light well returned and struck Eunjung with a powerful blast of holy energy.

 

She flew back and hit the wall before landing front first on the ground. Eunjung never let go of the sword in hand and stood up to block another blast from the light well. The next blast from the light well was held back by the sword in her hands and using her newfound strength and dark energy, Eunjung shot the blast back at the light well. That caused several explosions around the cave and distracted God long enough for Eunjung to finally strike the well.

 

The light well began to shake uncontrollably as if it was going to explode. Before it could do that, Eunjung turned around and headed for the exit. The rock did not move to open so Eunjung struck it with the sword in her hands cracking it in half. The explosion from the light well broke the rock open and Eunjung flew forward landing only a few feet from Jaehee who was still sitting on her mount.

 

Jaehee gasped in shock at the sight of Eunjung when the woman stood up holding a new sword in her hand and smirking at what she had just done inside the cave. Jaehee's eyes scanned the sword in Eunjung hands and despite it looking different, it was definitely Ashbringer. Everything was there, the large grip, round pommel, oddly shaped guard, and the long, wide blade with the circular indent at the top of the sword near the tip. The only difference was the the once bright orb that rested in the circular indent was replaced by a black orb.

 

Jaehee then looked at Eunjung and suddenly everything made sense. The glowing eyes, pointed ears, and horns on her head— Eunjung is one of them; she is a Shadow.

 


 

A/N:  Well, there it is.  The PLOT TWIST of this story.  I've left clues through the many chapters.  Had anyone figured it out or are you surprised? :]