Chapter Thirty Six

Masquerade

A/N: I'm excited to post the new chapter because I wrote it in the span of 4 hours!  It's a short chapter compared to the previous ones but it's setting up the story for another scene I've been waiting years to write.  Aaahhh!  So excited X3

 


 

Beads of sweat formed right above Soyeon's brow. Tending to Eunjung's wounds had not been as simple or easy as the priestess had expected. The leather straps around Eunjung's body had been cut open in several parts of her body where the paladins had struck her, but aside from that, Soyeon couldn't move them away despite how much she tried. She needed to close every open wound and stop the bleeding in order to provide Eunjung with a blood transfusion.

 

That in itself would be another hardship, drawing blood from Eunjung in the past had been a feat of it's own, and now trying to put that blood back in her body would be one too. Soyeon continued to concentrate on her task while mentally cursing the conditions Eunjung was bound to. Cursing wasn't something Soyeon did often, but at this moment she couldn't help it.

 

Outside of the infirmary, Hyomin and Qri looked through the windows with worried expressions. They could tell by Soyeon's face that she was having a hard time trying to tend Eunjung's wounds. Both the warrior and mage felt helpless as they looked on. Never would they have thought of the possibility of losing Eunjung; the woman had been practically indestructible all this time.

 

Hyomin turned to look at Qri and took the mage's hands into her own. “Qri, I think only prayer to the Light to save her is what we can do.”

 

Qri looked at down at their joined hands and then looked up at Hyomin. The two of them had an awkward relationship and this was quite odd at the moment, but the warrior's suggestion did make sense.

 

“I think you're right. Everyone out there must be doing the same.” Qri pulled her hands away from Hyomin's hold. Both knelt down and lowered their heads to began praying. Hopefully a miracle would be cast upon their leader.

 

 

 

 

“Our mission was almost complete my Lord, but the Chosen One, her strength has grown beyond measure.” The leader of the paladins who had attacked Eunjung explained. He, along with the rest of the paladins had been healed by God and now knelt before the bright light in the cave where Eunjung would always go to speak to Him.

 

“Yes, I've seen what she is capable of. She's almost ready but the problem is still Eunjung. She is blinded by her love towards the Guardian. I've withheld the Light from aiding Eunjung, but it's only a matter of time before the Light overpowers me.”

 

“We can return and finish her my Lord!” Another of the paladins spoke up.

 

“No!” God's voice boomed through the small cave and the paladins lowered their heads once more. “Eventually she will wake up and come here. Return home, I will call on you all after I have taken care of her myself. Your priority will be Jiyeon from that moment on.”

 

The paladins moved to completely bow down before God. They stood up after and in a flash of blinding light, they all disappeared from the cave. The light continued to shine in the cave and its attention turned to the stone podium in front of it. The light grew, spreading through the cave, and in the blink of an eye, it completely disappeared.

 

 

 

 

“Jaehee! Jaehee!” Kyurhee shook her sister's unconscious form but received no reaction from the younger woman.

 

Seunghyun and Jiyong eyed the younger princess with worried eyes. The royal army soldiers around them did the same and the enemy soldiers had all knelt down before the royal army in defeat. Their leader had been killed and the royal army stood strong with no casualties, and even though the king, queen, princess were all unconscious, there was no way the remaining men in Kwangsoo's army could defeat them.

 

“Kyurhee stop. I think she used all of her energy to destroy the orb.” Jiyong stepped closer to Kyurhee and pulled her away from Jaehee.

 

The rogue stood up and nodded at Jiyong. With Jaehee down, Kyurhee understood she had to take the leadership role and figure out what to do next. Returning home was the obvious answer, but the question of what to do with the enemy soldiers remained. With the presence of dark energy surrounding everyone, Kyurhee had her answer before she even had time to ask it.

 

An enemy rogue appeared from the shadows, and without a chance to react, he stabbed Kyurhee's back with one of his daggers and then suddenly vanished. Kyurhee cried out in pain and fell to one knee. Yonghwa rushed to her and along with Jiyong, they both reached for the dagger to pull it out and inspect the wound. Just as their hands gripped the handle of the dagger, the rogue who had stabbed Kyurhee appeared across from them standing next to a group of enemy soldiers.

 

“We pledged our allegiance to Lord Kwangsoo long ago! We pledged to continue fighting even after he died if that ever happened. We refuse to bow down to the Royal Family!” The rogue held his remaining dagger above his head as he roused his allies.

 

The enemy soldiers all stood up and roared loudly to pump themselves up. The royal army was surprised by their sudden resistance and willingness to fight. The royal army soldiers took their defensive stances and readied themselves for the imminent attack from the enemy. The enemy soldiers drew their weapons once again and jumped towards the royal army.

 

All around the Royal Family, Jiyong and Yonghwa the two armies started fighting once again. Despite how many enemy soldiers they had killed earlier, Kwangsoo's army still outnumbered the royal army slightly. Jiyong and Yonghwa eyed each other and nodded at the same time; their hands gripped the dagger tightly and they pulled it out of Kyurhee's back. The rogue let out of a breath of relief but at the same time could feel the area near the stab wound going completely numb.

 

 

 

 

 

Tiny specks of light started forming all around the warehouses and the Guardians outside praying for Eunjung's well being. Jiyeon started glowing as she continued to pray. The same glow began surrounding the Guardians around her, even Hyomin and Qri who were in the infirmary, and the specks of light began to grow. In just a few moments, the Light itself shined brightly through the entire area.

 

Inside the infirmary, Soyeon continued to try and close Eunjung's wounds. She stopped moving when suddenly Eunjung's body started glowing with the Light. Soyeon gasped in surprise and let out an incredulous laugh. The priestess started moving her arms and cast her most powerful healing spell on the leader of the Guardians. The Light and Soyeon's healing spell surrounded Eunjung completely and all of her wounds closed and healed in the blink of an eye.

 

The straps around Eunjung's body, that had been previously cut open, started moving and sealing completely as if they had never been cut. Eunjung's eyes shot wide open and she gasped in air, as if life itself had returned to her, and her breathing became rapid. Soyeon placed her arms over Eunjung's chest to hold her down but luckily it only lasted a few seconds. Eunjung fell back unconscious and her breathing returned to normal.

 

Now that Eunjung's wounds were completely healed all she needed was the blood transfusion since the Light couldn't replace all of the blood she had lost. Soyeon quickly began pulling back the strap on Eunjung's left wrist to find a vein she could attach the needle to. She thanked the Light for its benevolence when she managed to insert the needle into Eunjung's wrist and the blood began flowing into the Guardian.

 

Soyeon sighed in relief and wiped the sweat on her brow with her forearm. She walked over to the door and pulled it open to find Hyomin and Qri still kneeling and praying. The priestess smiled at the two Guardians.

 

“Hyomin, Qri. The Light healed Eunjung. She's going to make it.”

 

The two Guardians opened their eyes at the sound of Soyeon's voice and jumped up to hug the priestess after she gave them the good news. Eunjung was going to survive after all and the Light had not abandoned her completely.

 

 

 

 

 

Jiyong called over a priest to help Kyurhee with her wound and he took the place of the priest to help fight against the enemy soldiers. Yonghwa inspected the wound and quickly figured out what kind of poison the rogue had used to try and hurt Kyurhee. The priest who quickly knelt down next to Kyurhee and placed his hand on her wound looked over at Yonghwa hoping the rogue had important information for him before he healed the wound.

 

“The fool that stabbed her used mind numbing poising. It won't kill you and neither will it affect non-casters. You can heal her but she will still need an antidote to get rid of the numbness.” Yonghwa explained to the priest who nodded and Kyurhee smirked and chuckled.

 

“I have an antidote for poison. Please, just heal my wound.” Kyurhee told the priest and he did as she asked. Once the spell healed the stab wound completely, the priest stood up and took off to help his comrades.

 

Kyurhee reached for one of the pouches on her side and pulled out a small vial with a green liquid. She opened the vial and gulped down its contents. The antidote would course through her body quickly and get rid of the numbness that had grown on her back in no time. Kyurhee withdrew her daggers again and ran off to join the fight with Yonghwa following behind her.

 

The sudden attack by Kwangsoo's army had been effective at first, a few royal army soldiers had been killed, but they composed themselves in time to counterattack. The first enemy soldier Kyurhee spotted was none other than the rogue who had stabbed her. She launched herself at him, and seeing as how he was distracted fighting a warrior, he had no time to react. Kyurhee stabbed him in the back with both daggers and then slit his throat open after she pulled them out.

 

“Kill them all! Leave none of Kwangsoo's scumbags alive!” Kyurhee ordered her army and vanished into the shadows. She would strike down as many enemy soldiers as she could.

 

Kwangsoo's army was desperate to win this battle but the royal army was determined to stop them, and not allow any to break through the circle they had created around the king, queen and princess. The royal army's defense was holding strong and their previous strategy to fight the greater numbers of the enemy army had been implemented again. As the warriors, death knights, rogues and warlocks killed off the enemy soldiers, the priests worked to heal all their allies.

 

The desperation of Kwangsoo's army gave them no strategy, the priests were fighting instead of healing their allies, and they planned to win just by their greater number. Kyurhee had left her flashy rogue tricks behind, and was fighting like a warrior out there. More enemy soldiers were drawn towards her, she was definitely a prize to kill if any of them got the chance.

 

Dark energy flowed through Kyurhee's body as she fought, it kept her going without growing weary, but the number of soldiers attacking her was going to overwhelm her soon enough. Warlocks and priests were casting their spells on her and dodging was only effective to a certain extant. Without that dark energy, she would have been brought down long ago.

 

The rogue parried the attack of a warrior but was suddenly struck by several Shadow Bolts from warlocks who had turned their attention towards Kyurhee. The princess fell to her knees and as she tried to get up, another warrior charged at her. His weapon never struck her, as he was tackled by someone and then killed with his own sword. Kyurhee looked over and gasped at the sight of the person who had just saved her.

 

She was about to call out their name when a sudden horrific scream spread through the entire area. The royal army was unaffected by it, but the enemy soldiers held onto the sides of their heads and screamed in horror. Images from their nightmares plagued their minds and they all ran around disoriented and screaming from the images that haunted them. The scream only made the royal army cover their ears as they watched their opponents run around like maniacs.

 

Kyurhee covered her ears and smiled in delight. No one had a scream like that other than her mother and no one moved as swiftly and effectively with a sword as her father. High Priestess TaeIn walked up to her daughter and stood beside her helping her stand up. Across from them, King Daesung was striking down enemy soldiers left and right as they ran around still screaming.

 

TaeIn sent a wave of spells towards Kwangsoo's army and then she sent another wave of spells towards the royal army. Vampiric Touch and Vampiric Embrace worked in conjunction with each other. The touch drained the enemy soldiers of their energy and the embrace sent that energy to fuel the royal army. The priestess smirked at her oldest daughter and pulled her in for a hug in the middle of the battle.

 

“Make us proud Kyurhee.” Kyurhee nodded at her mother and took off to fight again.

 

Despite their numbers, Kwangsoo's army fell hard and fast with the King and Queen fighting alongside the royal army. They enemy soldiers were doomed to fail from the start and when the last soldier was struck down, the royal army cheered in victory despite some loses to their own as well.

 

The king and queen walked over to lean on their oldest daughter and hugged her tightly. The royal army fell to their knees and knelt before the king, queen and princess. All of them were happy to see the two of them alive and well.

 

“Kyurhee, my dear, I've never been happier to see you.” King Daesung told his daughter and hugged her even tighter. Tears rolled down Kyurhee's face, happy to be with her mom and dad once again.

 

TaeIn hugged both of them tightly as well and pulled the hood on Kyurhee's face back so she could see her daughter better. Kyurhee wanted to tell them how much she had missed them but she was at a loss for words. Instead she pulled away from her father, causing her mother to move back, and pointed in the direction of Jaehee's unconscious body.

 

“She's alive.” Daesung said and started walking towards his youngest daughter. Kyurhee and TaeIn followed behind him and they all knelt down around Jaehee.

 

“You father and I are still worn out from having our life essence drained, and not to mention the fight, but if we all put a little in, we can heal her and wake her up.” TaeIn explained as she looked around at the royal army who had surrounded them.

 

The Shadows began to pray for the unconscious princess and just as the Light and Guardians had done for Eunjung, the Darkness and Shadows helped the dark energies encase Jaehee and heal her. Jaehee's eyes shot wide open and she gasped in air as if life returned to her once more, but unlike Eunjung, she remained awake and sat up to see the faces of both her parents looking back at her.

 

 

 

 

A portal suddenly opened up in front of Jiyeon and the sound of it closing caused the Chosen One to open her eyes, stop praying, and look up. Qri grinned at Jiyeon and offered her hand to help the girl stand up.

 

“Eunjung's been healed by the Light. She's going to make it!” Qri moved her hand around and opened another portal, pulling Jiyeon through before the girl could even respond to the good news.

 

Boram and Hwayoung, who were next to Jiyeon, heard everything and burst into cheers. “Eunjung's healed! She's alive!”

 

And all the Guardians erupted into cheers from the good news the two had just given them.

 

 

 

 

 

Qri and Jiyeon appeared outside the infirmary room next to Hyomin when the portal opened. Jiyeon quickly placed her hands on the window of the infirmary and gasped at the sight of Eunjung lying unconscious on a hospital bed. She turned towards the door and turned the handle to open it and ran towards Eunjung with Hyomin and Qri following behind her.

 

Soyeon turned around from washing her hands and smiled. She knew Jiyeon was relieved despite Eunjung still being unconscious. Soyeon walked over to them and stood next to Hyomin and across from Jiyeon.

 

“How did you do it unni? And why isn't she awake? She still needed blood?” Jiyeon burst into several questions and Soyeon continued smiling. It was a good sign.

 

“You and everyone else did it Jiyeon. Your prayers allowed the Light to heal her and I was able to cast my strongest healing spell on her. She lost a lot of blood, which the Light does not replace, so she still needed a transfusion.” Soyeon explained.

 

“When will she wake up?” Jiyeon asked again.

 

“I'm not sure. It might be a few hours or maybe a couple of days. She needs rest Jiyeon.”

 

Jiyeon leaned over Eunjung and placed a kiss on her girlfriend's forehead and then started rubbing it with her thumb. She wanted to be by Eunjung's side and would not leave until the Guardian woke up.

 

 

 

 

After giving Jaehee a quick boost, the Royal Family and Royal Army had prepared to return home. The enemy soldiers had all been set on fire to burn to ashes and the same thing had been done to the camp Kwangsoo had built. Jaehee had picked up the Book of the Ancients and taken it back with her when they returned home. She wanted to read through it and see why Kwangsoo had been so interested in using their life essences to create a weapon.

 

That information she had learned from her father, who despite not being all there, had not forgotten what Kwangsoo had told him one day in the cave. The trip back home had been quick, using the shadows to move like they had done when they entered the north. Upon arriving back at the temple, those who remained had been glad to see that the king and queen were alive and that they had won and defeated their greatest enemy.

 

Daesung and TaeIn had thanked everyone for their loyalty and for saving them. Knowing their bodies still needed to recuperate, they voluntarily entered the dark room to allow the dark energies there to heal and energize their bodies once more. Jaehee had done the same since she herself had exhausted everything she had to destroy the orb that contained her parents' life essence. The army and Kyurhee would gain their strengths back with enough respite.

 

 

 

 

It took Eunjung exactly four days to finally wake up. Soyeon had suggested she be moved to the warehouse where their church was since the Light there would help with Eunjung's recovery. Jiyeon had spent almost every moment with Eunjung. Her parents had called asking her when she would get home a few days ago, but her white lie about Eunjung being sick gained her more time to be next to the woman she loved.

 

Eunjung had tried as best as she could to pry Jiyeon off of her when she woke up but the younger girl was just too excited to see the Guardian finally up. Finally after getting Jiyeon to let her go, Eunjung sat up and stretched her limbs.

 

“Jungie!” Jiyeon pulled Eunjung towards her and kissed the taller woman passionately.

 

“Jiyeon...please...” Eunjung pulled away and jumped off the bed to walk out of the church but her legs gave way and she almost fell if it wasn't for Jiyeon catching her.

 

“You're awake but your body needs to adjust to moving again.” Soyeon explained as she ran up to Eunjung and helped Jiyeon lead her to one of the benches. The priestess had just walked in to check on Eunjung and Jiyeon.

 

“How long was I out for? I'm starving.” Eunjung asked.

 

“Four days.” Soyeon replied and continued. “I think first we should get you adjusted to walking again and then you can grab something to eat.”

 

In a couple of hours, Jiyeon and Soyeon had helped Eunjung adjust to moving and walking again. By the time they got to the cafeteria, and avoided getting hugged by all the Guardians thanks to Soyeon and Jiyeon, Eunjung was served a big hearty plate of food which she scarfed down in no time.

 

Even though Eunjung's vision had been blurry and she had been losing consciousness in that battle against the paladins, she had not forgotten everything that happened. She knew that God was most likely expecting a visit from her once she woke up. Eunjung planned on going, but she needed to do something before she went to see him.

 

Jiyeon had been talking to Eunjung all this time, but being lost in her thoughts, everything Jiyeon had said had gone in one ear and out the other. Eunjung kept running in her mind what she needed to do and once she had come up with a plan, she stood up from the table and headed towards the doors of the main warehouse with Jiyeon and rest of the Elite Six following behind her. The Guardians had joined her on the table earlier but she had barely even noticed them.

 

“Eunjung where are you going?! Eunjung!” Jiyeon demanded.

 

Eunjung turned to Qri. “Qri, port Jiyeon home. I'm sure her parents want to see her. Make sure she stays there and doesn't leave.”

 

“What?” Jiyeon asked and Qri blinked at Eunjung.

 

Eunjung noticed someone had placed her separated sword on the sides of her motorcycle, most likely Hyomin, and nodded. She hopped on the motorcycle and started it up. The familiar roar of the engine excited Eunjung even though she couldn't express it.

 

“Eunjung where are you going?!” Jiyeon yelled.

 

“Qri, take her now! That is an order.” Eunjung yelled back and pulled away leaving a trail of dust behind her.

 

“Sorry Jiyeon.” Qri said to the younger girl, and using the dust in the air as a distraction, she cast the spell for her portal and pulled Jiyeon in with her.

 

The rest of the Elite Six looked at each other but didn't say anything. They hoped that whatever Eunjung was up to that it would not put her in danger again. She was moving way too fast for someone who had just woken up not long ago.

 

 

 

 

 

Eunjung did not know if Jaehee and her army had returned from the north or if they had even been successful, but the temple was only a few hundred feet away and she would soon find out. There was no one outside, at least not near the main temple, so Eunjung turned off her motorcycle and ran up to the steps that led to the doors of the temple.

 

She pulled on the doors and opened them, not surprised they were unlocked, and ran inside the temple. Kyurhee who had been praying in the very front of the temple stood up and turned around to see who had practically barged in. She recognized Eunjung right away and frowned at the sight of the Guardian.

 

“What are you doing here?” Kyurhee asked her as they both approached each other.

 

“If you're here that means you guys won. Where is Jaehee?” Eunjung asked.

 

“You assumption is correct, but as for my sister, she's indisposed right now.” Kyurhee explained. Eunjung's face was expressionless, but Kyurhee could tell there was some kind of desperation in the woman's voice.

 

“I need to see her. I need to talk to her.” Eunjung pleaded.

 

Kyurhee was about to respond and explain to the Guardian that Jaehee could not see her or talk to her at the moment because she was still recuperating, but a voice behind Eunjung caused the Guardian to turn around and Kyurhee to look around Eunjung.

 

“What do you need Eunjung?” Jaehee asked as she walked up to both women. Jaehee was wearing a pair of jeans, a black tank top, and held a very thick old book in her left hand. Eunjung studied Jaehee's face for a moment and noticed three parallel scars on the side of Jaehee's face. Battle wounds that had a certain meaning, perhaps a special reminder.

 

“I need your help. I need to free myself from God's hold.” Eunjung replied.

 

Jaehee smirked. “Let's talk.”