Chapter Nine

Masquerade

The rays of sunshine illuminating her room and her face signaled for Jiyeon that it was time to get up and get ready for school. Like she had thought of the evening before, she didn’t get much sleep. Every time she tried to fall asleep she woke up a few hours later thinking of everything that had happened. She finally managed to fall asleep without waking up around 3 AM.

“Jiyeonie?” Her mother called out to her through the other side of the door.

“Yes mom?” she responded.

“Oh good you’re awake. Get ready and come down for breakfast. You’re not leaving without it today dear.” Her mom told her.

“Yes mom!” she replied and got out of her bed to get ready.

About twenty minutes later she walked into the kitchen where her mom had already set down a plate on the kitchen table for her. She took her seat and grabbed her chopsticks to begin eating. Her mother came over with a cup of orange juice that she placed next to her plate and then took a seat across from Jiyeon. The older woman took at sip out of the cup she was holding and looked at Jiyeon.

“Jiyeon-ah,” Her mother started and Jiyeon looked up at her. “Last night you were taking a little longer to get home from Jieun’s house so I got a little worried.”

“I’m sorry mom. We got a little too caught up with our studying.” Jiyeon apologized and continued eating.

“Are you sure about that?” Her mother asked. Jiyeon swallowed her food and put her chopsticks down. “Because I kept looking out the window once I got worried to see if I would see you walking towards the apartment building.”

Jiyeon didn’t say anything and just looked at her mom. The older woman continued, “After looking out a few times, I finally spotted two people pull up to the curve on a motorcycle…”

Jiyeon gasped a bit. She knew she had some explaining to do now. Her mother looked at her and knew that her daughter knew she was going to ask her something about the girl she was with. “Jiyeon, who is the girl you were with? Because I know it wasn’t Jieun. There is enough lighting outside for me to distinguish both you and the girl. And I know for sure, Jieun can’t ride a motorcycle.”

Jiyeon gulped and felt suddenly become dry. She took a sip of her orange juice and bowed her head slightly as she felt her mother’s eyes on her. I wonder what she’s thinking! Eunjung and I were not in the friendliest of positions last night! Ahh!

“Park Jiyeon, answer me. Who is that girl?” Her mother asked once again.

“She’s my friend. I met her a few days ago in school. We have some classes together and she went to Jieun’s house with me so the three of us could study. She offered me a ride home after we finished.” Jiyeon replied.Smooth Jiyeon, real smooth.

Jiyeon’s mom eyed her suspiciously. It did make sense that her daughter would make new friends at school. Those were just the rules of life; one is bound to make friends when they enter a new place in their lives. “You two seem really close already.”

Jiyeon’s eyes got a little wider. She saw the close interaction oh my goodness! “Ye-yeah. I mean, she’s really cool and nice. I really like her mom. She’s a good friend.”

“I want to meet her Jiyeon. Bring her over for dinner tonight.” Her mom told her.

“Tonight?!” Jiyeon asked.

Her mother nodded. “Yes tonight. Now finish your food and head to school. I don’t want you to be late.”

“Yes mom.” Jiyeon replied and sighed once her mother got up from the table. She quickly finished her food and drank all her juice. She needed to get out of the house now.

Jiyeon placed her plate and cup in the sink and waved goodbye to her mother as she walked out of the apartment. When she made it down to the main doors she saw Eunjung sitting on her bike waiting for her. She face palmed, remembering that her mom wanted to meet the girl. This is not how she wanted to start her morning.

“Good morning Eunjung.” Jiyeon greeted her.

“Jiyeon, good morning. Did you rest well last night?” Eunjung asked. Jiyeon shook her head.

“I’m sorry.” Eunjung said and got off the motorcycle. She walked over to Jiyeon and started to rub under the young girl’s eyes.

“Jungie stop!” Jiyeon whined but continued to enjoy what Eunjung was doing. The older girl moved her hands down to Jiyeon’s cheeks and pinched them lightly. Jiyeon shook her head and pushed Eunjung’s hands away then giggled.

“Let’s get going.” Eunjung told her and Jiyeon nodded. Jiyeon grabbed her helmet and put it on then got on the bike after Eunjung had.

As the older girl pulled away Jiyeon spoke. “By the way, I have something to tell you.”

“Yeah? What is it?” Eunjung asked.

“I’ll tell you once we make it to school. Keep your eyes on the road.” Jiyeon told her.

“Okay.” Eunjung replied and continued driving. And from the same window from the night before, Jiyeon’s mom had witnessed another interesting interaction between her daughter and the mystery girl.





High Priestess TaeIn stood behind the altar of the congregation room in the temple of the shadows. She had just finished the funeral services of the King’s men. She would proceed towards the burial grounds once everyone had exited the rooms and the coffin carriers took the coffins with them. As the second coffin made its way around the exit she noticed a person had stayed behind. He was standing in between the last two rows of chairs.

He was dressed in a black uniform with a white sash representing his nobility and had medals adorning the left side of his chest to represent his merits. A smile appeared on the high priestess’ face when the man started to move towards her.

“Nobleman Park Jinyoung; what a pleasure to see you. What brings you here?” She asked him as he finally approached her.

He placed his right hand over his heart and bowed deeply. “Your majesty, it’s an honor to be in your presence once more. I must say that you’re looking more beautiful than ever.”

TaeIn blushed and the nobleman continued, “I came to give my condolences to the family of the King’s men. I also came to offer my services. I’m sure that you as well as their families want to know what exactly happened to them. I’m sure it would give a clue as to where his majesty might be.”

“Thank you Jinyoung, but Jaehee has already begun investigating what happened. I will mention you to her and your offer to help.” TaeIn replied and gave him a smile.

“I’m not surprised that she has begun investigating. She has been very diligent in her job and standing in for his majesty.” Nobleman Jinyoung said.

“I’m very proud of her for standing up and taking over. I’m sure her father is proud as well. Now if you excuse me, I need to get to the burial grounds to finish the funeral. I hope to see you there.” The High Priestess bowed.

“I’ll be there in a few. I would like to offer a prayer first.” He bowed to her as well and watched her leave the congregation room. He then turned towards the altar and kneeled.

Outside of the congregation room, Kyurhee stood against the wall stealthed. She had watched her mother talk to the nobleman and then watched her exit the temple as well. She shivered at the thought of the nobleman being inside the room but she would stay where she was and wait for him to come out.

Nobleman Jinyoung stood up after giving his prayer to the dark energies and headed towards the exit. As he made the right turn around the corner to leave the temple, he felt someone move behind him. He turned around and smiled. “Kyurhee, it’s good to see you.”

Kyurhee stopped in her tracks and suddenly appeared from her stealthed form. She had both of her daggers withdrawn and ready to attack. She cursed under her breath.

“Is that a way to greet someone completely unguarded and unarmed Princess?” He asked her and smirked.

Kyurhee placed her daggers back in their holders and looked directly at the nobleman. “It’s the way I will always greet you!”

“Such animosity…” he studied her face and her form, “hard to believe that it comes from someone who has grown from a cute little girl into such a gorgeous young woman.”

The rogue’s eyes began to glow a bright purple and a low growl escaped from . The nobleman grinned widely. “Yesss…” he hissed, “You have certainly grown up so well.”

“What are you doing here? What do you want?’ She spat out.

Nobleman Jinyoung kept a smile on his face while he reached for the small pouch he had tied behind him on his belt. He pulled out a white rose and walked closer to Kyurhee who took a few steps back. The glow of her eyes intensified as he neared her and placed the flower in her left ear.

“I came to ask for your hand…” He whispered in her ear.

Kyurhee’s eyes widened as their glow dissipated. She felt her anger boil up inside her and growled again. She pushed him back and swung to punch him on the side of his jaw. Surprised by the blow, the nobleman took a few steps back and placed his hand on the side of his face.

“Don’t you ever mention anything like that ever!” Her eyes were once again glowing brightly as she yelled at him. She then took off running as fast as her legs could take her. The nobleman watched her run off and grinned.





“Jaehee!” Jieun waved at the taller woman as she walked up to her. “You’re looking great today. Ready for your first day?”

Jaehee returned the hug Jieun gave her and nodded. “Yeah and you’re not looking so bad yourself.”

Jieun giggled and placed her guitar case down on the ground. “Are you going in now? I usually wait for Jiyeon out here and then we go in together.”

“I was actually waiting on you guys to get here. I was hoping you would show me to my first class.” Jaehee mentioned and took her schedule out for Jieun to see it.

The shorter girl took the paper from Jaehee. “Omo! Your first class is the same as mine~ Literature in room 401B.”

“Really? Cool! How’s the professor?” Jaehee asked as Jieun handed her back her schedule.

“Mean no thanks to this nerd.” Gyuri mentioned as she walked by both of them and laughed. Jieun stuck her tongue out at Gyuri. Jaehee managed to catch a glance of Gyuri and was taken aback by her.

“You’re in the class too?” She managed to ask and Gyuri turned around; the wind blowing her hair back and helping Gyuri look even more beautiful.

She smiled at Jaehee and walked up to her. “Yes.” she said and bowed. “I’m Park Gyuri.”

Jaehee felt suddenly go dry and kept her eyes on Gyuri who seemed to be giving her an eye smile. “Kang Jaehee.” She bowed back.

Gyuri smirked as she looked at the taller woman. Jaehee was tall, lean and slightly muscular, with a short hairdo in the form of a fauxhawk that Gyuri found y, and the most piercing green eyes she had seen. Certainly different from Eunjung who she had met the day before and found very attractive. Perhaps this would be her lucky year with two handsome women joining the school.

If you asked Jaehee how many times she had been enraptured with a girl like she was now, she would most likely tell you never. From the few times she talked about love or relationships, she had mentioned that she didn’t believe in love at first sight but right now she was being proven very wrong. If she had to describe her ideal type, well Gyuri was it. She had beautiful long hair, with a y curvy body and a very feminine aura about her, and the face of a goddess.

Jieun looked at the two of them staring at each other and crossed her arms in annoyance. She didn’t care if Gyuri was checking out Jaehee; she just didn’t want the taller girl falling for Gyuri. It’s not that she wanted Jaehee for herself; it was far from that, she just didn’t want Jaehee falling for the wrong girl. And to Jieun, Gyuri was the worst girl.

“Jaehee, we should go find Jiyeon and get to class.” Jieun grabbed the taller woman’s arm and pulled it.

“Oh…um…yeah, we should. It was nice meeting you Gyuri. I’ll see you in class.” Jaehee smiled and waved at her.

“Same. I’ll save you a seat next to me.” Gyuri winked at her and turned back around to head towards the main doors.

Even with Jieun pulling at her arm Jaehee didn’t budge and continued to wave at Gyuri. Jieun let go of Jaehee’s arm and reached for her ear to pull it. “Ahh! Jieun!” Jaehee cried out.

“Stop staring at Gyuri! She’s the worst person ever! Mean girl! Mean girl!” Jieun yelled out and twisted Jaehee’s ear.

“Ahh! What the hell! Let go Jieun-ah!” Jaehee whined.





Eunjung grabbed her backpack from the side of her motorcycle and placed it around her shoulders. Jiyeon smiled at her and took Eunjung’s hand in hers and the two of them started walking towards the place where Jieun always waited for her.

“So you said you had something to tell me?” Eunjung asked.

Jiyeon turned to look at the older girl, “Oh, yeah. Well, you see…um…my mom saw us last night when you dropped me off.”

“Oh, so that’s who that woman in the window was.” Eunjung commented.

Jiyeon stopped walking which caused Eunjung to stop a few steps of head of her and turn around to look at the younger girl. “Wait, you saw her?”

“Yes, when I was leaving. You had already entered inside the building and into the elevator. I didn’t know who it was though.” Eunjung replied.

“Well it was my mom. She asked me who you were and I told her that you’re my friend. That I met you here in school and that you offered me a ride home.” Jiyeon told her.

“That’s good.”

“That’s not the problem Eunjung. She told me that she wants to meet you. She wants you to come over for dinner tonight.” Jiyeon looked down at the ground. She didn’t know what Eunjung was going to say.

“I’ll try to make my best impression on your parents then.” Eunjung answered.

‘Really?!” Jiyeon asked surprised. “Oh thank you for not being mad about this! I feared you would get upset.”

“My duty is more than to just protect you. I must do anything you ask of me.” Eunjung told her. Jiyeon looked at the ground again then back to the older girl.

“That’s right…you’re my guardian. Shoot, I had kind of forgotten about all that just now.” Jiyeon sounded at bit disappointed. She was going to introduce Eunjung as friend, and she considered the older girl her friend too. She even had developed a crush on her this short time but Eunjung’s words made her feel like Eunjung just saw her as her job. She was just someone meant to be protected.

“Jiyeon, please don’t sound so down. You’re special to me, more than the person I need to protect.” Eunjung pulled Jiyeon in for a hug which Jiyeon gladly accepted. Being in Eunjung’s arms like this felt really nice. She felt safe and protected. She felt like she belonged there.

“Thank you Jungie. I’m glad to know that.” Jiyeon smiled at her and Eunjung nodded.

“Let’s go meet up with Jieun before she grows impatient waiting on us.” Jiyeon once again took hold on Eunjung’s hand and the two of them began to walk towards where Jieun would be.

As they approached the spot, they noticed Jieun yelling and pulling Jaehee by her ear towards them. Jiyeon gasped and ran towards them with Eunjung behind her. She could hear Jieun yelling something about Gyuri being a mean girl. Did Gyuri do something to Jieun?!

“Guys! What happened?!” Jiyeon asked and panted after she reached them and stopped running.

Jieun finally let go of Jaehee’s ear and pointed towards the main doors. “She’s like suddenly in love with Gyuri!”

Jiyeon raised an eyebrow and looked suspiciously at Jieun. Eunjung stood next to Jiyeon and looked at the main doors. She remembered how uncomfortable Gyuri had made her the day before so if Jaehee liked the girl then she should totally go for her. Jaehee on the other hand just kept rubbing her ear to lessen the pain.

“Are you jealous Jieun?” Jiyeon asked and grinned.

Jieun stomped her foot and shook her head. “NO! I just can’t stand Gyuri! She’s mean and she’s always picked on us. You know that better than anyone Jiyeon-ah!”

“Jieun calm down okay? I couldn’t help but look at her. I mean, she’s really pretty.” Jaehee reached to rub Jieun’s shoulder but the shorter girl shook her off.

“Don’t tell me to calm down! Get to class by yourself jerk!” Jieun yelled at Jaehee. She picked up her guitar case and took off towards the main doors.

“Jieun! Jieun wait up!” Jiyeon yelled at her but Jieun kept walking.

“Should I apologize? I mean one moment she’s all happy and the next she’s yelling at me but I feel like I didn’t do anything wrong.” Jaehee sighed.

“You didn’t unni. I would just let her cool off and wait for her to talk to you again.” Jiyeon placed her hand on Jaehee’s arm and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

Jaehee felt a sudden shock run up and down her arm and her skin felt like it was on fire. She flinched a bit and took a step away from Jiyeon. The younger girl noticed Jaehee’s sudden reaction and looked up to see Jaehee wincing slightly. Eunjung noticed it too and kept her eyes on the taller woman.

“Does my touch hurt you?” Jiyeon whispered. Jaehee’s eyes went wide and she turned to look down at Jiyeon.

“How do you…” she looked around then leaned down to whisper in Jiyeon’s ear, “know?”

“She knows what you are. Just like I’m sure you know who we are.” Eunjung answered. Jaehee looked at both girls in shock. Jiyeon nodded and Eunjung just looked at her.

“I see…” Jaehee said.

Jiyeon reached for her and placed her hand on the leather wristband that Jaehee was wearing on her left wrist. “I just found out myself yesterday, but I want you to know that I trust you unni. I see it in your eyes and your demeanor; you’re a good person.”

Eunjung looked at Jiyeon and couldn’t believe she had just told Jaehee that. How can she be so trusting? Jiyeon, you can’t trust her!

“Th-thank you…Jiyeon…I think we should talk about this somewhere else. This isn’t exactly the most private of places.” Jaehee responded.

“You’re right. Let’s head to class now. I’ll show you the way to yours if you’d like.” Jiyeon said and Jaehee nodded. Jiyeon looked at Eunjung and gave her a slight nod then began walking towards the doors.





Nobleman Park Jinyoung had indeed attended the burial services of the two men and then offered his most sincerest condolences to the family of the two men. Both families thanked him and then he departed. He met with TaeIn outside of the temples where she was saying goodbye to everyone who had attended the service.

“Are you headed back home Jinyoung?” She asked him when she saw him walk through the gates.

Jinyoung stopped and turned to face her, “I’m headed back to my hotel. I’ll be staying in Seoul for a few days before I return to Daegu.”

“Excellent! I hope to see you once again before you depart.” The High Priestess bowed at him and he bowed back.

“I’m sure you will. I’ll keep in contact your majesty. Good day to you.” He bowed once again then left towards the black car that was waiting for him in front of the gates. She waved goodbye to him then headed back inside the gates.

Once his vehicle was far away from the temple, Jinyoung took his phone out and dialed a number. After a few rings, he heard someone pick up. “Speak.”

“Apparently Jaehee has begun investigating where the King’s men came from.” He informed the other person on the phone.

“You said your warlocks did an excellent job covering their tracks and making sure to leave the men’s tracks. Do you think they will cross over into the north?”

“I’m an unsure of that my Lord, but if they’re smart enough they will certainly try to investigate the other side. And when they do…I will be waiting for them.” An evil grin spread over the nobleman’s face and his left hand gently cupped the top of the handle of his sword. The weapon began to glow a dark blue as he touched it.

I hunger…their souls…they will feed me…

An evil cackle could be heard on the other side of the phone. “Show the ones we don’t need any mercy and those valuable to my plan are to be captured and brought to me.”

“As you wish my Lord.” The nobleman replied and hung up. He grinned once more and picked up his sword to run his hand over the blade. You will soon feast Frostmourne, Lord Kwangsoo will have what he wants, and I will finally claim my prize.