Chapter 11

His Revenge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Eunhye washed her face to get rid of the sticky residue her bout of tears had left her in. She could feel a headache pounding in her head and rubbed her temples tiredly. She would call home first and then hunt down the housekeeper for some aspirin.

She located Kris' office from memory and knocked on the door, waiting for his curt 'enter', to open the door.

He glanced up as she opened the door, but stood at the threshold, hesitating. 

"Come in," he said, "You can use the phone." With his head, he gestured to the phone at his desk, before going back to the file he was perusing.

Eunhye walked to it, and dialled the number with nervous fingers.

Her mother answered, "Hello."

Eunhye heard the tremble in her mother's voice and held the receiver tighter. You bastard, she thought with a furious glare at Kris.

"Mum? It's me," she said quietly. 

A sob escaped Mrs Park, "Oh baby, thank god. I was so worried. I didn't know what to do. You weren't answering your phone and I-"

"Mum, it's fine," she interjected softly, "I'm...fine." Eunhye took a deep breath before firming her voice, "I'm fine, mum. My phone-" she racked her brain for a reason, "My phone is broken. So I couldn't call you."

"Where are you now?" Her mother asked, a bit calmer.

"I'm in a hotel," she lied, "Where's Kyung?"

"He's already asleep. He kept asking for you and I didn't know what to tell him." Mrs Park's voice hitched and Eunhye felt guilt wash over her again. 

"Tell him I miss him too and I'll be home soon." She could feel Kris' eyes on her and turned slightly.

After reassuring her mother some more, she hung up and looked at Kris. He was studying the file open on his desk, but his eyes weren't moving.

She hovered awkwardly for a moment, unsure of what to say to him. She wasn't about to thank him- she shouldn't have to when he was the one who'd taken her phone away.

Kris finally gave up the pretence of studying the file and looked up at her, "I'll have the chapel unlocked in the morning so you can go in. I'll also leave a car at your disposal."

He held up a finger, anticipating her protests, "You will need the car if you are going to the village to check out the local businesses. I'll leave you a list of the businesses which are good here and you can decide which one to go along with. You'll only have to tell the driver to drive you there."

Eunhye nodded curtly, "Okay."

"I'll have meetings all day, so I'll see you for dinner tomorrow night," Kris said, already cursing himself for volunteering that last titbit of information.

Again, Eunhye nodded. "Goodnight, Kris."

With that she her heels and left the room, closing the door with a click after her.

***

The next morning, Eunhye went downstairs for breakfast, with her bag containing her notebook and other necessary items on her shoulder. A glance at her watch told her it was nearing ten in the morning. She had tossed and turned in bed last night and had fallen asleep in the early hours of the morning. There were no signs of Kris when she sat down to have coffee and a muffin and study the list he had left for her, and she could only assume that he had already left.

True to his word, there was a car waiting outside for her when she stepped out of the villa. The driver folded the newspaper he was reading and straightened, "Good morning, Miss Park. I'm Jung Hyunjoo here to assist you around the village."

Eunhye smiled, "Thank you."

They drove to the chapel in silence. Eunhye felt more comfortable and was able to appreciate the beauty of the area. She had forgotten, or rather had made herself forget, how much she had loved this area. 

In no time at all, they reached the chapel, and Eunhye alighted after telling Mr Jung that she wouldn't be long.

She stepped inside the chapel and was once again struck by the beauty of this place. She forced the memory of their shared kiss to the back of her head and concentrated on taking notes about the setting of the place, noting the approximate distance from the doors to the altar. She could envision an arch of flowers where the couple would take their vows and took the approximate measurements for it.

The seating would be the easiest part since Kris had said there would be only about 15 guests. She ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter