Rivals

Some Cheering Up Required

Coach Nam arranges a dodgeball game as reflex training and stress relief. Three guesses on who gets particularly competitive. HJ/YD. 

 


 

They face off like opposing war armies, teeth bared and claws unsheathed. In between them, a row of dodgeballs are arranged like cannon artilleries, eyed hungrily by soldiers in gym clothes. Coach Nam stands at the front, one foot atop a ball and a whistle held high in one hand.

 

“There are no rules!” A declaration that had Teacher Yang, standing beside her, spluttering and fumbling out words of protest. His complaints, predictably, went to deaf ears. 

 

Coach Nam continued, “The winning team gets a free meal! The losing team... have to run ten laps around the gym. Sound good?” Her grin was sharp and cat-like as she said that last part in English.

 

“Now, on your mark! Get set--”

 

Everyone tensed. Everyone fixed their sights on the ball they were planning to snatch.

 

Coach Nam blew the whistle. “GO~!

 

Many things happened at once.

 

Hyo Sik used his bigger size to his advantage and body slammed everyone in his haste to retrieve a ball. Da Mi had hopped onto his back, their teamwork flawless as she cleared a path by whacking anyone she could reach with a towel. Everyone was smart enough to stay clear of them after a while, until Seung Woo and Tae Pyung, former rivals turned teammates, started pelting them with dodgeballs.

 

Soo Ah and her girl posse huddled up together, screaming whenever a ball came too close to hitting them until Coach Nam have had enough and barked at them to get back into the game.

 

Ha Joon was in the center of it all, raining down dodgeballs without mercy. No one was spared, not even Yeol, who had to perform some impressive acrobatic moves he didn't know he had in order to avoid getting hit with a ball.

 

Dong Jae was very obviously showing leniency when it comes to Yeon Doo, considering he's had plenty of openings to nail her with a ball. He was still distraughted that they were sorted into different teams; it was anonymously decided that a match with the traditional Baekho-Real King teams would not end up favorably on Baekho's side.

 

Now they were simply Team A and Team B, with Team A currenty leading the score. And it was no secret why.

 

The tag team of Seo Ha Joon and Kang Yeon Doo was a living, breathing nightmare. Pitted against each other, their fights aren't unlike what would happen if a tornado went up against a tsunami.

 

But when it's them together against a bunch of common enemies—well...may God take mercy on those poor souls.

 

No one had ever expected that the two most strong-willed and temperamental individuals in Sevit High would be able to work so seamlessly well together. This gave them the added element of surprise, making them a formidable and near invincible team.

 

Yeon Doo was fast, probably due to all the practice she had running away from teachers. She was evading attacks left and right while she collected dodgeballs and passed them on to Ha Joon.

 

Aggressive as usual, Ha Joon was shouting profanities as he hurled a barrage of dodgeballs with enough force to knock someone off their feet, as Joon Soo had the displeasure of finding out firsthand.

 

Teacher Yang was in turn shouting for them to keep it PG, while Coach Nam of course was enjoying herself while she recorded the whole thing on her phone as blackmail material for future use.

 

Ha Joon cursed when he missed Yeol's head by inches. Yeon Doo was snarking at him for the missed throws.

 

“Do you even know how to aim?!”

 

Shut up,” he growled, “Like you can do better!”

 

Yeon Doo who had been aiming for Soo Ah with a single-minded purpose, slowly turned to face him with a familiar blazing look of challenge.

 

“I can! And I'll prove it.”

 

Without averting his eyes from her, Ha Joon caught the ball that Dong Jae threw. He stared Yeon Doo down with an intensity he had never showed before, not even when Real King and Baekho would get into their regular brawls. He had always just stood there like an immovable wall while she kicked and punched and clawed like a deranged animal until a teacher arrived to break them up. It drove her mad, that he would simply took whatever she threw at him with a look of utmost boredom on his face.

 

But not this time. No.

 

Situations had changed. This is war.

 

Electricity sizzled and sparked between them. Yeon Doo's ponytail had came loose so her wild hair was now framing her face; her cheeks were flushed pink and her chest heaved lightly from the exertion. Ha Joon his lips, tightening his already white-knuckled grip on the ball. 

 

Yeon Doo shivered at the dangerous glint in his eyes.

 

Bring it.”

 

.

Word Count: 800