False Knight

Some Cheering Up Required

He says 'I'm fine' so many times that he's started to believe his own lie. DJ/YD.

 


 

Over the years he has a built a bond with her so strong and solid that even a wrecking ball could hardly make a dent in it.

 

She looks out for him like a dearest friend would--cheering him on and protecting him from people who try to mess with him. He looks out for her like a loyal dog would for it's master—doing trival things like fetching her water and drying her hair. He's forever sticking to her side and doing whatever she asks of him, and sometimes even when she doesn't ask. Dong Jae knows, and he responds eagerly.

 

If he's a dog though, Yeon Doo is the kindest and most benevolent owner any creature could ever ask for. Sure, she may be rough around the edges but she has always treated him right. She asks him, “Are you okay?”, as often as he answers, “I'm fine.”

 

Sometimes during his basketball matches, it can't be helped that his teammates or opponents brush up against him once or twice. The adrenaline of the moment usually eases the situation; sometimes Dong Jae doesn't even notice the physical contact. Yeon Doo is always there though, boldy coming in to tell people off and then start fussing over him and makeing sure he's alright.

 

“I'm fine,” he would smile and ask for strawberry milk in hopes to make her drop the subject. Yeon Doo goes along with it, usually.  

 

Cheerleading, he discovers, is different yet not so different from basketball. For one thing, in Baekho only a very selected few of his teammates actually hate him. Dong Jae welcomes the improvement.

 

Coach Nam was merciless in their training as per usual. After every grueling practice session he feels his muscles sore and shaking as like to be after a long basketball match. His only consolation was Yeon Doo, that she was right there beside him the whole time instead of cheering him on from the sidelines. It doesn't mean that she cares any less.

 

“You okay?” She asks before he could.

 

“I'm fine,” he assures, trying to spare her the concern because she doesn't need to be worrying about him when she's gritting her teeth and hurting just as much as he.

 

It vexes him--how she always puts him first. 

 

Around the school he sees Soo Ah belittling her—witnessed her getting into screaming matches with Ha Joon and then start trading insults with Kim Yeol. He sees Teacher Im drag her around by the collar while other students tease and laugh mockingly and it makes him want to put himself between her and their cruelty.

 

He wants to shield her from the evil in the world. He wants to be able to touch her when she needs comfort.

 

He wants, he wantshe wants...

 

He wants to be the one to ask her “Are you okay?” for a change and most of all, he wants himself to stop lying whenever she asks the same thing.

 

.

 

Are you okay?”

 

No. Because you're not.” 

 

.

Word Count: 500