If We Lived In A Kinder World

Some Cheering Up Required

There is an invisible line between them. HJ/YD.

 


 

He doesn't question Yeol's spontaneous moments of insanity; he of all people, has no right to question someone's mental health. Yeol hates it—he hates it too, that he consider his mind an ugly, twisted thing. Tangled and pulled taut, so messed up that nothing in the world could possibly put it back together again.

 

Those were the moments where he felt like he's worth garbage. But those kinds of thoughts upsets Yeol, so he tries not to have them.

 

It helps, in Baekho, where he could actually feel like the top five percent. It helps, when it's them against those punks, Real King. It helps him feel bigger than he actually is, boosting his own self-esteem while lowering theirs.

 

He needs Baekho and Yeol as much as needs Real King's constant attempts to foil them. Whether he realizes it or not, he needs that irritating girl, Kang Yeon Doo at the helm, leading her group of misfits to challenge them in a losing battle—over and over so he could hit, insult, and yell, letting all of that pent up anger run freely for a change.

 

Ha Joon doesn't understand why Yeol sympathizes with her, but there is a grudging admiration of his best friend's empathy and patience. Kim Yeol could be as much as a saint as he is a devil.

 

Ha Joon is a sinner, struggling not to drown in a sea of darkness. Yeol, his only lifeline.

 

Yeol has his own light, though. Kang Yeon Doo is radiant and magnificent in every way, which was why he was always drawn to her. Wherever she goes, they would be nearby, because Ha Joon would always be by his brother's side.

 

Ha Joon doesn't go near her. He knows he'll be overwhelmed. He is darkness incarnate after all, as much as Yeol is both dark and light.

 

Kang Yeon Doo embodies all that's bright and good in the world, and if he gets too close--sooner or later, he'll taint her.

 

Ha Joon isn't that irredeemable of a person that he'll allow that to happen, at least. He'll keep his distance, for as long as his wears his black shroud, Kang Yeon Doo will always be unreachable. Unattainable. 

 

There are lines that he had crossed, that he'll never be able to turn back from. But not this line. Not in this life. 

 

But if he should look beyond. One day, perhaps. 

 

.

Word Count: 400