Angel On My Shoulder

Some Cheering Up Required

Yeon Doo and her guardian angels. Plural. KY/YD/HJ.

 


 

Yeon Doo always considered herself an optimist, and a determinator. No matter the hurdle, no matter what obstacle laid in her path, she would get through it with a smile on her face.

 

But life liked to make it hard for her.

 

Lady Luck seemed to have something against her lately. Nothing was going her way. Case in point, her algebra test recently came back with a minus zero point (how is that even possible?), and she had gotten an earful from her mother over the phone because of it. Real King had also cancelled practice for an undefinite amount of time because their stereo broke, so there went her usual method of stress relief.

 

And to make things worse, Teacher Yang had approached her during lunch and just so cheerfully mentioned that she was just one demerit point away from having to scrub the toilets.

 

“So be careful, yeah?” He said with an irritating smile on his face.

 

Yeon Doo looked down at her rice, and placed her chopsticks down. There went her appetite.

 

Sensing her distress, Dong Jae had offered her a gazillionbottles of strawberry milk that Yeon Doo suspected that he must be providing the milk company at least 15 percent of their profits.

 

“Aren't you sick of strawberry, Ha Dong?” She asked one day. Dong Jae had looked so stricken that Yeon Doo had immediately backtracked and changed the subject.

 

But afterwards, Dong Jae was less likely to ambush her with the strawberry concoction anymore. Yeon Doo hated to admit it, but she sort of missed it. For as long as she could remember he'd always had her back, but now that he's off sulking, Yeon Doo was alone for the first time in a while.

 

“Why are you walking around like a lost lamb?” Soo Ah teased.

 

Yeon Doo whirled around, finding the girl standing off to the side with her books clutched to her chest. Indeed, she had been wandering aimlessly through the halls, no destination or purpose in mind. She was starting to realize that maybe she needed Dong Jae more than he needed her...

 

“I don't know,” Yeon Doo shrugged. “Why are you standing there doing nothing?” She countered, and Soo Ah raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow.

 

“I'm waiting for the vice-president.”

 

Yeon Doo immediately scrunched her nose as if she had smelled something bad. Soo Ah noticed this, and laughed humorously.

 

“He's not that bad.”

 

“Says you.”

 

“If you have nothing to do, maybe you want to study with us?” Her roommate offered. Yeon Doo thought about it for a second, figured she had nothing better to do, and followed Soo Ah into Baekho's clubroom.

 

The place looked the same as always, with two vertical rows of tables facing each other. Even though the Real King members hardly came in here anymore after the whole cheerleading fiasco was over and done with.

 

“Why didn't you guys rearranged the tables?” Yeon Doo asked curiously.

 

“Vice-president didn't asked us to. And none of us brought it up, so it just stayed like that.”

 

“Why?”

 

Soo Ah shrugged, “Maybe we just missed you guys.”

 

A pregnant pause, and then Yeon Doo burst out laughing. “Eww! Don't say mushy things like that.”

 

“Well it's true!” Soo Ah bumped shoulders with her playfully.

 

At that moment the door slid open, and Yeon Doo turned expecting to see Kim Yeol, but Ha Joon was there instead. He had his earphones in and wasn't really paying attention to the people in the room. He plopped right into his chair and started on his homework.

 

Yeon Doo puffed her cheeks in annoyance. On impulse, she picked up an eraser from someone's desk and threw it at him. It struck his head and bounced back harmlessly to the floor.

 

“What the hell--?” Ha Joon removed an ear bud. He already looked pissed off.

 

“What do you want, midget?” He grunted when he finally noticed her.

 

“Aren't you going to say hi?” Yeon Doo placed both hands on her hips and demanded. Behind her, Soo Ah was rolling her eyes at their antics.

 

“Hi.” Ha Joon muttered sarcastically, though his lips were pressed tightly, as if he was struggling not to smile.

 

Yeon Doo had no such restraint—she was grinning widely, clearly enjoying this... whatever it is that they always do. Playful banter? Platonic flirting? Is there even such a thing?

 

Before she could contemplate further about it, the door slid open again and this time, it really was Kim Yeol at the doorway.

 

The moment he entered, Yeon Doo could tell that his eyes had immediately zeroed in on her. That infuriating smirk that haunted her nightmares appeared, but she held her gaze bravely.

 

Yeol crossed his arms and leaned against the door frame.

 

“Hello,” he purred.

 

“Goodbye.” Yeon Doo deadpaned, forgetting all about wanting to study and instead going to walk straight out the door. Yeol stopped her with a hand on her shoulder.

 

Soo Ah, standing by the side, noticed that Ha Joon's posture had stiffened.

 

“Not so fast. I need to give you a message.”

 

Yeon Doo's face was blank. “Well go ahead.”

 

Something evil sparkled in Yeol's eyes. “Say please.”

 

“You got to be kidding me.”

 

“Nope.”

 

Soo Ah noticed that Ha Joon had a white-knuckled grip on his pencil now.

 

Yeon Doo's left eye twitched. As if she wasn't having an already bad week! “, please give me the message!”

 

Yeol sighed, “Since you asked so nicely. The principal wants to see you.”

 

Yeon Doo in a breath. “Me?”

 

Oh great, what did she do now?

 

“What did you do now, elf?” Ha Joon frowned. Yeon Doo stuck her tongue out at him. Just because she's short and she likes the green gummy bears, doesn't make it okay for him to keep calling her elf!

 

“I didn't do anything!...At least, I don't think...” Yeon Doo trailed off uncertainly.

 

“You better go,” Soo Ah advised. 'Because I don't think I can handle the tension between you three anymore.' She added quietly in her mind.

 


 

The good news was, she wasn't in trouble. The bad news was, that Principal Choi wanted her to hold cheerleading tryouts. Yeon Doo was absolutely dumbfounded.

 

“I thought we're done with the whole cheerleading thing.”

 

You are. But Baekho still has to keep up it's appearance as a cheerleading club.” Principal Choi's face looked sour while she said this. “Our school's new cheerleading team will be composed of freshmen and sophomores. You all won't need to do anything at all. Officially, you seniors will be their coaches and advisors, but the school has already hired people for that.”

 

'Of course you had.' Yeon Doo thought exasperatedly.

 

“So what you're saying is that you need new members to join Baekho. What does that have to do with me?”

 

“You were the captain of last year's cheerleading team.” Principal Choi pointed out smoothly. “I've already discussed this over with Kim Yeol. He has agreed that you should be the one to hold tryouts. He trusts your judgement.”

 

Yeon Doo growled silently. She was unsure if she should be mad or pleased that he held her in such high regard.

 

“And also, it's been brought to my attention that you have a lot of free time right now... what with randomly walking around the halls alone after school hours.” Principal Choi smirked.

 

Yeon Doo gasped to herself. Those damn CCTVs'!

 


 

She had rallied the members of Real King together to organize tryouts. When the day came, Yeon Doo was surprised that so many came to audition, and even more surprised that most of them are actually pretty good. She had always doubted the athleticism of the students in Sevit High, but apparently she had been mistaken all this time.

 

“Wow, this is a tough call.” Da Mi commented, looking through the list of candidates.

 

“I know!Yeon Doo dragged her fingers through her hair. The most curious part was that most of the candidates were the elite type of students—the type of students that always looked more interested in studying than cheerleading. It was suspicious to say the least.

 

“Pfft, it's obvious that they only want to get in so they can boost their rankings. It's always about rankings with this school.” Hyo Sik rolled his eyes.

 

“And they probably only practiced for their tryout routine, and had never actually done any cheerleading before in their entire life.” Yeon Doo said grudgingly.

 

“I say just recruit them. It's not our job to coach them anyway. What's the worst that could happen?” Da Mi smiled.

 

Famous last words.

 


 

A week after their new cheerleading team was assembled, Yeon Doo was called in by Principal Choi again.

 

“The cheerleading coach has quit.” She announced.

 

Yeon Doo blinked. “So hire a new one.”

 

“That was the new one! We've already hired three coaches for them, and all of them have quit in the same week!”

 

Yeon Doo gaped, “What? Why?”

 

“Because no one wanted to work with a group of snobby, prissy little brats!” The principal finally lost it, and swiped a couple of files that had been resting on the table. Yeon Doo flinched, staring wide-eyed at the display of anger.

 

“These kids are worst than you and your rag-tag bunch of misfits.” Principal Choi fummed.

 

“Uhhh... thank you?”

 

“There is no other choice then.” The principal cleared and straightened her glasses. “You're going to have to coach the new cheerleading team.”

 


 

Two weeks after the new cheerleading team was assembled, Yeon Doo was close to just quitting school and forgetting all about getting her diploma. The new kids were worse than brats... they were monsters.

 

“You don't have to do what the principal says, you know.” Soo Ah had argued about it when she saw how the new kids were driving Yeon Doo mad.

 

“Believe me! I've tried to get out of it, but she brought up Real King again, and I don't want to drag them into another year of drama. Not after we just got the club back...”

 

“This isn't fair, you know.” Soo Ah frowned.

 

“I know,” Yeon Doo sighed tiredly. “But what can I do about it?”

 

The bell rang, and Yeon Doo trudged off to her next class. Soo Ah watched her go; her devious mind was plotting something again.

 

“If you can't do anything about it... I will.” She smiled secretively, “Or better yet, I know someone who would be more than willing to help.”

 

And she knew that he's not going to be pleased when he hears that some pompous punks are going around mistreating his dearly beloved.

 


 

Dong Jae wasn't really mad at Yeon Doo. But she had hurt his feelings when she questioned about their tradition; He didn't understand how she could complain about strawberry milk. It was their special drink! And it tastes really good!

 

Still, as upset as he was about the whole thing, he was still looking out for Yeon Doo and he could tell that the new cheerleading team was really running her ragged.

 

As much as he wanted to help Yeon Doo himself, he couldn't. He has as much hold over the principal as much as Yeon Doo has—which is none. If he really wanted to put a stop to this madness, he would need to get a hold of someone that has a lot of authority and power over this school. Someone... who has the principal in his pocket and could even control the discipline teacher.

 

Dong Jae's eyes steeled in determination.

 

It was time to call in reinforcements.

 


 

The next day, Yeon Doo entered the gym with her head hung low. She was so exhausted and her spirit was so broken that she really had no energy to pretend that everything was going to be alright anymore. All throughout the month, she had been struggling in school. But this was final straw that broke the camel's back.

 

She had lost. These kids had won.

 

Yeon Doo walked slowly, expecting to be hit instantly by a barrage of insults, complaints, and snarky comments as per usual... but today, the kids seemed oddly quiet.

 

She looked up, only to be faced to faced with a line of kids all warming up and waiting obediently for her instructions.

 

Yeon Doo did a double-take. What on earth?

 


 

“You won't believe what just happened!”

 

Soo Ah and Dong Jae simultaneously turned to each other, and then back to Yeon Doo who had dropped down into the seat opposite them.

 

“What?” They asked at the same time.

 

“Those kids—they were so well behaved today! It's like they were completely different people!” Yeon Doo exclaimed in amazement.

 

Soo Ah and Dong Jae glanced at each other again, and then furtively glanced behind them... where Yeol and Ha Joon were sitting, casually eating their lunch together.

 

“Did you--” Soo Ah whispered to Dong Jae under her breath.

 

He shook his head before she even finished asking her question. “Did you?”

 

Soo Ah shook her head as well. She hadn't gotten to asking Ha Joon for help. She had initially thought that Dong Jae had already asked Yeol to settle Yeon Doo's problem, but it turns out that he hadn't, either.

 

So... who was the mysterious savior?

 

'It could only be one of them.' Soo Ah mused, half-listening to Yeon Doo's excitedly recap all the things they did during practice.

 

Sneakily, she glanced behind her once more, trying to catch a hint by looking at their facial expressions—but Ha Joon always had an incredible poker face and Yeol was basically a pro at fake smiling.

 

One thing she noticed though... their eyes kept glancing over at Yeon Doo, completely bypassing her and Dong Jae as if they were invisible.

 

Soo Ah sighed in amusement. Well, she thought that Dong Jae and her were Yeon Doo's guardian angels, but apparently, Yeon Doo already had a pair of her own. Two angels on her shoulders, forever keeping watch.

 

Soo Ah picked up her chopsticks and resumed eating.

 

How lucky.  

 


 

hana

 

"B-b-but... the principal would never listen to me! I can't help you, Kim Yeol!" 

 

"Oh, Teacher Im," Yeol smiled sardonically, "I'm sure you can think of something. Because you see..." 

 

He leaned in closer, and Teacher Im practically broke out in sweat. 

 

"...that's my girl out there." 

 

.

 

dul

 

The doors to the gym slammed open, and a very scary demon walked in. Or to the young freshmen and sophomores, he was. 

 

"So," Ha Joon stared down at them, hell in his eyes. "I heard you brats have been terrorizing her?" 

 

One guy was stupid enough to ask. "Who?" 

 

Ha Joon's eyes narrowed dangerously, "My elf! That's who!" 

 

.

 

set

 

Ha Joon very nearly threw his phone against the wall, because it rang while he was in a bad mood. Luckily, he checked the ID. 

 

It was Yeol. He sounded just as murderous as he felt. 

 

"Seo Ha Joon. Want to help me take care of some idiots?" 

 

.

Word Count: 2500

An ending where everyone is happy! Because you literally get to choose! Hana, dul, set?

Thanks for reading, everyone. Bye Bye. 。゚ヽ(゚´Д`)ノ゚。